2010 NFL Draft Thread #1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2010 NFL Draft Thread #1

Here's a good site of who will be available in the draft by position. 
    http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/dt.shtml
    there are a few guys who fit the build
    Suh forget it
    gerald mccoy again forget about it too both will be drafted in top ten according to this site and others I've seen
    Terrence Cody is huge! if VW is not signed he could be a NT we might need to move up a few spots which I don't think it will happen
    Brian Price about the same size as Pryor but should be a solid DE
    Arthur Jones not crazy about but fits
    Marvin Austin same as Arthur
    Dan Williams another NT prospect
    Phil Taylor, same NT but might be an option at DE

I think one or two of these four is drafted:
    Jared Odrick 6'4" 298 projected 2nd
    Marvin Austin 6'3" 305 projected 2nd
    Vince Oghobaase 6'6" 300 projected 3rd, I know we don't have one but could trade up/down into that 3rd
    Lawrence March 6'5"305 4th

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

b thought you were taking a page from Coach Ditka's book when he traded everything to get RW, if Suh comes with three other brothers that play like him lets go for it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

They say DT is the deepest position in this draft. I'd love to know what BB thinks we might get out of Brace next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Looking back at our last two drafts since we have a thread on the 07' draft (plus Meriweather is the only draft pick left).

The 2008 draft we have one solid start in Mayo at ILB. He may have regressed some this year. I think he'll get better next year. Crable still needs to see the field and maybe on the way out. Wilhitte hasn't looked very good, but maybe next year he or Wheatley will step it up some. Don't think either will start but this team could really use them for depth. Slater is pretty much special teams only and if Tate can come back it could spend the end for him.

Round 1, Pick 10 (10) Linebacker Jerod Mayo from Tennessee
    Round 2, Pick 31 (62) Cornerback Terrence Wheatley from Colorado
    Round 3, Pick 15 (78) Linebacker Shawn Crable from Michigan
    Round 3, Pick 31 (94) Quarterback Kevin O’Connell from San Diego State
    Round 4, Pick 30 (129) Cornerback Jonathan Wilhite from Auburn
    Round 5, Pick 18 (153) Matt Slater from UCLA
    Round 6, Pick 31 (197) Linebacker Bo Ruud from Nebraska

The 2009 draft I see more potential and maybe some of these players next year can up their game and become starters. Already this year we seen some good contributions from Vollmer and Edleman. Would like to see McKenzie get back from his injury and see what he can bring from the team. Butler has shown some promise. It takes time but if a few others can step it up and become starters next year or 2011 this could end up being a very good draft for the Pats. With so many young players from this draft on the team we could end up building some of the flaws within. Rookies becoming instant starters let alone stars is the exception and not the rule.

1-23 (23) Assigned Selection To Baltimore Ravens for picks 26 and 162
    1-26 (26) From Baltimore To Green Bay for picks 41, 73 and 83
    2-2 (34) From Kansas City Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
    2-8 (40) From Oakland Ron Brace, DL, Boston College
    2-9 (41) From Green Bay Darius Butler, DB, Connecticut
    2-15 (47) From San Diego To Oakland
    2-26 (58) Assigned Selection Sebastian Vollmer, OT, Houston
    3-9 (73) From Green Bay To Jacksonville for picks 232 and Jags’ 2010 2nd
    3-19 (83) From Green Bay Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina
    3-25 (89) Assigned Selection To Tennessee for 2nd round in 2010
    3-33 (97) Compensatory Selection Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
    4-23 (123) From Baltimore Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State
    4-24 (124) Assigned Selection To Oakland
    5-1 (137) From Philadelphia To Baltimore
    5-5 (141) From Philadelphia To Baltimore
    5-26 (162) From Baltimore To Green Bay for picks 41, 73 and 83
    5-34 (170) Compensatory Selection George Bussey, OL
    6-25 (198) From Baltimore Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii/td>
    6-26 (199) Assigned Selection To Oakland
    6-34 (207) Compensatory Selection Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky
    7-23 (232) From Jacksonville Julian Edelman, QB, Kent State
    7-25 (234) Assigned Selection Darryl Richard, DL, Georgia Tech

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, 2008 wasn't a great draft for most teams, as it was a weak pool.

I remember thinking that the only players I thought would stick were Mayo, Crable and Slater. 

I thought Crable (for sure) was a replacement for Woods, as they were kind of cut from the same mold. But he can't take a shower without breaking his hip.

I hated, and still hate, the Wheatley selection for the same reason I hated the Tate selection . . . don't gamble selections on damaged goods. 

I am surprised that Wilhite is still here, because the vast majority of players deep in day two get cut. 

2009 is already better. At the very least they have gotten four players out of it.

Pryor, Ingram, Edelman, Butler, and Chung and Vollmer are locked in in some capacity, as they have all proven value to some degree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Next year Edleman will be contributing more as a slot receiver until Welker comes back. Vollmer will be starting LT, Butler and Chung could see more time or be starters at some point next season in our defensive backfield. So the potential is there in a few years that this could be on of the Pats better drafts.

Wonder for next year if they end up resigning Green or just try Wright, Pryor or Brace in Green's old spot? Granted they sign/franchise Wilfork (which seems like a done deal). Then put the focus on LB's only for offseason changes on D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Where are you guys figuring Joe McKnight will enter the picture. I think I am leaning toward grading him out where Chris Johnson graded out -- a mid second rounder who can help himself immensely by showing off sprinter speed. 

They are very similar in some ways, but both McKnight's injury history (which isn't a total dealbreaker) and the fact that he played in an offense that had more weapons make me wonder where I should put him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wouldn't have him (McKnight) that high.  He seems kinda light and of course comparisons to Bush will not help him who is not a complete NFL RB.  I view him as a situation type RB.  I think he drops. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I thought I'd hold this till the thread had slowed a little.

How much value do you guy's think our 2011 (raiders)pick could be worth in this draft as trade bait? Will teams high in the draft think the value is good or bad? 

Even if the Pats think someone that would go early is worth the pick. Knowing the holes we need to fill.

Would another team be thinking they could end up with two high picks next year that could be signed at a better prices?
    /Or /
    Do they think that could hurt? I don't think the early rookies will ever be cheap. Say as in two at next year prices will be what one's price is this year. I think it works out more like a higher cap overall and the high draft picks stay the same.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I'd rather have Oakland's 2010 pick, and trade down 5 times and acquire several 2011 first and second rounders.

There would have been more value overall that way, and it could have established a trust fund of sorts to draw on every year, giving us a slight edge every season.

As is, we are getting close to that edge, so can't complain too much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

arodrambone, we could also do that next year with a pick with greater value if there is a rookie pay scale.  The Pats could have gotten this years pick. There had to be some logic for them to specifically ask for next years pick and not do what u say.  I am sure BB etc know we could have possibly traded down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I think you're wrong on that.  Oakland insisted that it be 2011 1st round pick and not this years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The reality is that a 2011 first rounder that is undeclared probably only values out at a high second or low first.

I understand the Raiders stink, but people wouldn't want to gamble on losing value in their selection-- thus they would want security in the knowledge that they are at least going to gain a few spots in the trade.

It would be much more valuable as a trading piece in the next draft.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

Dont forget Mckenzie at LB, our 3rd round pick last year, on IR with knee surgery. Not saying he is the answer but somebody they were very high on when drafted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

garytx, Reiss was still here and did a blog on.  In that blog he stated that the Pats insisted on it being the 2011 1st rd pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

If the Pats insisted upon 2011 over 2010 then there must be a current sophomore that they're targeting right now that will be eligible for the 2011 draft. My guess is that it could be Patrick Peterson, the CB out of LSU. He's arguably the best CB in the country, and he just finished his sophomore season.

I could be wrong, either about the player or the reason. Who knows? It may have just been a move to obtain a potential top 10 pick with a set payscale. Just some food for thought.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

No chit cherlock

I could be wrong, either about the player or the reason. Who knows? It may have just been a move to obtain a potential top 10 pick with a set payscale. Just some food for thought.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Peterson is the best player on that team, which has a number of stars.

They were tied with Alabama until he was taken out of the game with a leg cramp, and on the next play Alabama hit Julio Jones for 73 yards and a TD. Other than that Jones had like 32 yards on 3 catches all day -- it was a decisive score in that LSU would have played the SEC championship against Florida.

Needless to say, Peterson is a player. I wonder where he will go, but he is a player. As long as he doesn't regress I can see a top 64 ranking easily. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I wouldn't think they would want the 2011 to pick a certain player. It doesn't make sense. Too many things can happen, and players do regress. Andy Katzenmoyer was supposed to be Dick Butkus after his freshman year. I think they are counting on the pick being high and more reasonably priced due to the new CBA. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

1st Round- Mike Johnson,OG

2nd Round 1st Pick- Jerry Hughes,OLB

2nd Round 2nd Pick- Ryan Matthews,RB

2nd Round 3rd Pick- Dezmon Briscoe,WR

4th Round- Kyle Wilson,CB

6th Round- John Russell,DE

7th Round 1st Pick- LeGarrette Blount,RB

7th Round 2nd Pick- Zoltan Mesko,P

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

One guy that I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned yet is Ricky Sapp out of Clemson. He's 6'4", 246 lbs, and runs a 4.6; decent measurables for a 3-4 OLB. I haven't been able to find any video of him, but he's played his entire collegiate career as a stand-up rusher. He's a projected low-first to high-second pick, so we'll have at least one shot a picking him. The one draw on him is that he tore his ACL during his junior year. Any thoughts on Sapp?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Here's a good Ricky Sapp scouting report:

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2010-nfl-draft/ricky-sapp.html

Here's another:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1637

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Sapp isn't thick enough. He could bulk up, but you don't generally go 1st round on an if. 

That is just my impression. He was a very good player for a very good Clemson "D," though. 

NE really needs two OLBs. At least one has to be upwards of 265 lbs to flash that 43 look and set an edge. 

Another has to be able to peel off into coverage.

Both he and Kindle are intriguing hybrids, but Kindle plays stronger, smarter and is a better overall prospect IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

The Pats have to find a way to move up in the first round and draft Rolonda McClain.  He'd be a great fit.  I say take the 2011 Raiders first round pick and a 3rd or 4th round pick and use it to move into the top 10 of this years draft to take McClain, S Eric Berry or CB Joe Hayden from Florida.  

ILB Brandon Spikes could be a great pickup at the end of the 1st or early 2nd round.  Also later in the draft(2nd or 3rd round) I'd love for the Pats to take Eric Norwood, LB from SC.   

Eric Norwood Analysis

Read & React: Much more instinctive than he's generally given credit for. Often asked to rush the passer, but keeps his head up and locates the ball quickly. High effort in pursuit yards downfield.

Run defense: Lacks the bulk to stack and shed as a defensive end, but flashes an explosive pop and good lateral agility to disengage as a linebacker. Protects his knees well and flows through the trash efficiently on his way to the ball-carrier. Takes good angles to the ball.

Pass defense: Norwood's greatest weakness. Slow, choppy backpedal. Marginal straight-line speed and change of direction to remain with tight ends and running backs in coverage.

Tackling: Good strength and lateral agility to slide off of blocks to make tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. Breaks down well in space to make the stop against smaller, quicker athletes. Secure wrap-up tackler who shows some explosiveness as a hitter.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Effective pass rusher either standing up or with his hand on the ground. Thick build with solid overall musculature. Good burst off the line of scrimmage at the snap. Can pressure the tackle's outside shoulder and consistently threaten the pocket off the edge. Natural leverage advantage and good strength to get under the pads of the offensive tackle for an effective bull rush. Only marginal flexibility and balance to dip under and slip around the tackle as a pass rusher.

Intangibles: High effort defender who is a leader on and off the field. Voted team captain for the 2009 season. Operates in a defensive scheme tailored to fit his strengths. Allowed to do a lot of freelancing in this scheme. Has the instincts, physicality and size for some to project as an inside linebacker. Considered leaving early for the NFL last season, but despite his gaudy statistics only received a 4th-7th-round grade by the Advisory Committee.

NFL Comparison: Tedy Bruschi, New England Patriots

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

If we drafted 3 linebacker with our first 4 picks, I would not be crushed.

Spikes and two OLBs. Hopefully we can get a FA OLB and a tough ILB who makes Paris Lenon look like Paris Lenon.

Sapp seems like a good alternative choice in the mid-late 2nd round.