2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks

I've done a lot of digging and this is what I have found so far for information on the Patriots Draft including Compensatory picks with the player they were awarded for. 

Here are the current draft picks The Patriots own:

1st Round (22nd Overall)
    2nd Round (Jaguars 44th Overall)
    2nd Round (Titans 47th Overall)
    2nd Round (53rd Overall)
    4th Round
    6th Round
    7th Round (PHI - Greg Lewis)
    7th Round (DEN - Russ Hochstein)

These picks have been traded away:

3rd Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess)
    5th Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess, Thru DEN - Le Kevin Smith)
    5th Round (TB - Alex Smith)
    7th Round (Den - Le Kevin Smith)

COMPENSATORY INFORMATION:

The Patriots are projected to receive four compensatory picks for the 2010 NFL Draft. These compensatory picks are awarded when a player is lost to free-agency and signs a qualifying contract with another team. A compensatory pick can be lost by signing a qualifying player in free-agency as well. Compensatory picks can be awarded in rounds 3-7.

Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks.

The placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

Projected 2010 Compensatory Picks:

6th Round: Jabar Gaffney

7th Round: Heath Evans

7th Round: Lonnie Paxton

7th Round: Lamont Jordan

These picks are awarded at the end of the round and cannot be traded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks

Two thoughts here after looking through this information... one: TB might entertain a trade back of the 5th round pick we traded them for Alex Smith for A. Thomas. And Two: Why did they get to keep the 5th when he got cut early... seems like the front office "ahemed" the pooch so to speak because they should have had it conditional on his making the team at the very least! I rarely have a problem with the front office but in my opinion someone fell asleep on that one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i thought i read somewhere they were in line for a third round compesatory pick??

no?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks:
    i thought i read somewhere they were in line for a third round compesatory pick?? no?
    Posted by jcour382

No way, they got one last year for Asante Samuel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

even so thats thirteen picks and those 7th rounders could be keepers...when you look at it...pats must definately figure in those free agent losses to the equation of future picks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

hey pats 7393 wheres that pic taken? those are the old style bdus...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks:
    I've done a lot of digging and this is what I have found so far for information on the Patriots Draft including Compensatory picks with the player they were awarded for.  Here are the current draft picks The Patriots own: 1st Round (22nd Overall) 2nd Round (Jaguars 44th Overall) 2nd Round (Titans 47th Overall) 2nd Round (53rd Overall) 4th Round 6th Round 7th Round (PHI - Greg Lewis) 7th Round (DEN - Russ Hochstein) These picks have been traded away: 3rd Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess) 5th Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess, Thru DEN - Le Kevin Smith) 5th Round (TB - Alex Smith) 7th Round (Den - Le Kevin Smith) COMPENSATORY INFORMATION: The Patriots are projected to receive four compensatory picks for the 2010 NFL Draft. These compensatory picks are awarded when a player is lost to free-agency and signs a qualifying contract with another team. A compensatory pick can be lost by signing a qualifying player in free-agency as well. Projected 2010 Compensatory Picks: 6th Round: Jabar Gaffney 7th Round: Heath Evans 7th Round: Lonnie Paxton 7th Round: Lamont Jordan These picks are awarded at the end of the round and cannot be traded.
    Posted by DaBlade

Hard to get excited about 6th and 7th rounders. Odds are stacked against any even making the team, but, who knows? There could be another TB hiding in there somwhere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

how do they calculate the value? the indiviual player lost? the number of players lost?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

or julien endelman? some great nfl players dont even get drafted...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

hey pats 7393 wheres that pic taken? those are the old style bdus...
    Posted by jcour382

Yes they are, picture was taken in 1997 in Panama.  5th Battalion 87th Inf Scouts.  Unit was deactivated once the canal was handed back to Panama.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks : Hard to get excited about 6th and 7th rounders. Odds are stacked against any even making the team, but, who knows? There could be another TB hiding in there somwhere.
    Posted by unclealfie

That would be true any other year, this year there are guys projected to be contributors with 7th round projections.  it is a very deep draft in a lot of positions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks : Yes they are, picture was taken in 1997 in Panama.  5th Battalion 87th Inf Scouts.  Unit was deactivated once the canal was handed back to Panama.
    Posted by Pats7393

ah the good ole army days 3rd 32nd gimlets! 7th inf div. light... 83-87 our battalion walked accross panama...but i missed that trip i was in R.S.
    "gotta Live hard to be hard"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Actually with the Patriots needing a Punter those extra 6th and 7th round picks could be pretty handy. I say use two of them on punters and one of them have to work out. If they both look good then move one with a trade for a 2011 6th round pick.

Sorry I didn't think about how they calculate value... here is that info and I added it to the orrigional post as well...

The placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

Also there are a total of 32 possible compensatory picks in every draft... If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks : That would be true any other year, this year there are guys projected to be contributors with 7th round projections.  it is a very deep draft in a lot of positions.
    Posted by Pats7393

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks : Hard to get excited about 6th and 7th rounders. Odds are stacked against any even making the team, but, who knows? There could be another TB hiding in there somwhere.
    Posted by unclealfie
    Edelman,Pryor,Richards and Ingram are all 6th or 7th rounders and of course TB. So there are gems to be found you just have to be dilligent and lucky. In fact it is more likely that a UDFA makes the team..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

how do they calculate the value? the indiviual player lost? the number of players lost?
    Posted by jcour382

The biggest factor, by far, is the size of the contract the player signed for their new team (based on average contract value per season).  Performance level and awards (such as Pro Bowl selection) would be used as a tie breaker if their were players that signed for roughly the same amount of money.

The system also works on a net gain or loss for each team, so if a team lost an $8 million a year player as a free agent and then signed an $8 million a year free agent then it would cancel each other out.  Also, the players in question have to have been an UFA that elected not to resign with their team, so players that were released don't count in the equation.  But they look at all the free agents a team lost and all the free agents a team gained to award the picks.

There are 32 picks that get awarded.  If using the next gain/loss system does not award all 32 picks, the leftover picks get awarded to the worst to first draft order like all other rounds, but this time after the 7th round.

Given the number of picks the Pats already have, it would be hard to envision all of them making the final roster, which many times is a reason they end up trading picks for future years.  Hoever, in prior years they had fewer holes and more depth, so there will be more opportunities for rookies to stick around than in prior seasons.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Anarchy... that is why I also think it is even money that they use a second round pick with #22 to move up in round one to draft the one they want.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

those 6th and 7th rounders are also valuable to trade your normal 6th and 7th's to move up a spot or three in other rounds...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

some potential 6th and 7th round players who we could take with these picks hopefully one of them turns into the next Endelman:

Round 6

Perry Riley OLB (LSU)

Round 7

Zoltan Mesko P (Michigan) or Jeremy Boone P (Penn State)

Richard Dickson TE/FB (LSU)

Chris Marinelli OT (Stanford)

He has the versatility to play guard or tackle at the next level, thanks to his intelligence, size, strength, foot speed and nasty streak. That's a lot of things for NFL offensive line coaches to like

Curtis Steele RB (Memphis)

Patrick Stoudamire CB (Western Illinois)

Trindon Holiday WR/KR (LSU) 5-5, 162, 4.27 small but extremely fast with good hands.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I was completely impressed by the 6th and 7th round dumpster diving of the Patriots last year.  Normally 7th rounders have about a 10% chance of making an NFL team. 

Julian Edelman exceeded all expectations and can start (with Welker and Moss).  Jake Ingram made the team and will probably last 5 years as long snapper.  Myron Pryor made the team and rotated in on the defensive line.  Darrell Richard was re-signed to a Patriots contract on January 12. 

5th rounder George Bussey should be back in camp this summer after being on injured reserve.  4th rounder Rich Ohrnberger should be back in camp -- he wasn't that good but he did stick with the team.  Third rounders Brandon Tate and Tyrone McKenzie will both crawl back into camp.  The four second rounders are in pretty good shape and should all progress from their rookie years.

So, in the end, 12 out of 12 2009 draft choices have so far stuck with the Patriots.  Is that good or what? 

If the NFL wants to hand the Patriots a few more seventh rounders for 2010, that's a good thing.

By comparison, the Jets only had 3 draft choices in 2009, and the Sanchise too often threw a little Sancheese.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

natesubs... I like your thoughts on the late compensatories and I agree you trade the regular 6th and 7th round picks to move up in 2010 or maybe both for a 5th in 2011?

One thing I can not say enough is we need to come away from this draft with a viable NFL Punter... I am tired of the stiffs we have had at that position. I would not even balk if we used the 6th and a 7th to draft two and keep the best and trade the other for a pick in 2011.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I knew Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, but I didn't realize he was a comp pick until I read the Reiss article. WOW! LOL. Just out of curiousity, does anyone know who we lost, to be rewarded with that pick?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I knew Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, but I didn't realize he was a comp pick until I read the Reiss article. WOW! LOL. Just out of curiousity, does anyone know who we lost, to be rewarded with that pick?
    Posted by jerh5

Todd Collins

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

So it Looks like we will get a 5th rounder next year for Benji Watson as comp for him leaving

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Maybe they can steal a dropping player or 2 in the 6th or 7th but it will take a small miracle for them to go 12 for 12 again. If they have 4 compensatory picks they will have the opportunity to repeat that number provided they don't use them as chips to move up in the draft or acquire a vet.

Sections
Shortcuts