2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmassgreg. Show wmassgreg's posts

Re: 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks

pats 7393 and jcour382 and any other vet reading here thanks for your service!!!!!!! stay proud of that

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Just returned from a weekend at Foxwoods and In honor of my weekend of gaming I got to thinking...The Patriots have 12 picks total 4 we have to use (compensatories) so that leaves us 8 that can be used traded and combined to move up or traded to move back and gain picks... Having said that I set the over under for number of draft picks made in this draft at 8. Any takers?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

HEY DABLADE ...Thanks for the interesting Posting
    ( In-Depth Topics like this are what make this sight great )

PAUL K : I'm Not a J-E-T-S-Fan but to be fair , hard to knock their agressive '09 Draft moves :
      Trading up to the 5th pick on day 1 and selecting a Qb that got 'em to the AFC Champ game and then trading up for the 1st pick of Day 2 and snaggin' what turned out to be the Drafts best Rb Shonn Greene were gambles that payed off .

For those tryin' to figure out what BB may do next month ,
    here's a synopsis of what went down last year :

PATRIOTS 2009 DRAFT TRADES :

A ) Cassel / Vrabel trade = Db Patrick Chung ( # 34 overall )

B ) Moving back twice in 1st round ( trades with Ravens # 23 & Packers # 26 ) =

Db Darius Butler( # 41 ), Wr Brandon Tate ( # 83 ) , Qb J Edelman ( # 232 ) & also resulted in aquiring 2010 Jags 2nd rounder

It also made E Hobbs expendable ( Butler pick ) Which resulted in the two aquired Eagle's picks being parlayed into :

OT Ohrnberger ( # 123 ) & LS Jake Ingram ( # 198 )

C ) Pats second 2nd rounder (# 47 overall , aquired via 2008 Chargers trade ) :

Packaged with 4th & 6th rounders to Raiders = Ron Brace ( # 40 )

D ) Pats trade their natural 3rd rounder to Titans for 2010 2nd rounder .

Total of 7 Draft related trades = 7 players ( plus two 2010 2nd rounders )

( 5 other players aquired via natural draft position selection / compensatory )
    = 12 Overall Draft picks

Note :
    Tyrone McKenzie ( # 97 ) was selected with 3rd round compensatory pick

George Bussey ( 170 ) was a 5th round comp pick
    Myron Pryer ( 207 ) was a 6th round comp pick

( Comp Picks were awarded for loss of Asante Samuel / D. Stalworth )

Of the 7 officially designated picks -

The Pats used only their natural 2nd rounder ( Volmer # 58 )

and natural 7th rounder( Daryl Richards # 234 ) .

2009 DRAFT = 12 Players
    ( 2 DB's / 3 DT 's / 3 O-Line / 1 LB / 1 WR / 1QB / 1 LS )

AS STATED BY EARLIER  POSTER...

Amazingly  /> ALL are still Patriots

FINAL 2009 PATS DRAFT SELECTIONS :

2 34 Patrick Chung, S, Oregon

2 40 Ron Brace, DL, Boston College

2 41 Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut

2 58 Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston

3 83 Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina

3 97 Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida

4 123 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State

5 170 George Bussey, OL, Louisville

6 198 Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii

6 207 Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky

7 232 Julian Edelman, WR, Kent

7 234 Darryl Richard, DL, Georgia Tech

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks:
     HEY DABLADE ...Thanks for the interesting Posting ( In-Depth Topics like this are what make this sight great ) PAUL K : I'm Not a J-E-T-S-Fan but to be fair , hard to knock their agressive '09 Draft moves :   Trading up to the 5th pick on day 1 and selecting a Qb that got 'em to the AFC Champ game and then trading up for the 1st pick of Day 2 and snaggin' what turned out to be the Drafts best Rb Shonn Greene were gambles that payed off . For those tryin' to figure out what BB may do next month , here's a synopsis of what went down last year : PATRIOTS 2009 DRAFT TRADES : A ) Cassel / Vrabel trade = Db Patrick Chung ( # 34 overall ) B ) Moving back twice in 1st round ( trades with Ravens # 23 & Packers # 26 ) = Db Darius Butler ( # 41 ), Wr Brandon Tate ( # 83 ) , Qb J Edelman ( # 232 ) & also resulted in aquiring 2010 Jags 2nd rounder It also made E Hobbs expendable ( Butler pick ) Which resulted in the two aquired Eagle's picks being parlayed into : OT Ohrnberger ( # 123 ) & LS Jake Ingram ( # 198 ) C ) Pats second 2nd rounder (# 47 overall , aquired via 2008 Chargers trade ) : Packaged with 4th & 6th rounders to Raiders = Ron Brace ( # 40 ) D ) Pats trade their natural 3rd rounder to Titans for 2010 2nd rounder . Total of 7 Draft related trades = 7 players ( plus two 2010 2nd rounders ) ( 5 other players aquired via natural draft position selection / compensatory ) = 12 Overall Draft picks Note : Tyrone McKenzie ( # 97 ) was selected with 3rd round compensatory pick George Bussey ( 170 ) was a 5th round comp pick Myron Pryer ( 207 ) was a 6th round comp pick ( Comp Picks were awarded for loss of Asante Samuel / D. Stalworth ) Of the 7 officially designated picks - The Pats used only their natural 2nd rounder ( Volmer # 58 ) and natural 7th rounder( Daryl Richards # 234 ) . 2009 DRAFT = 12 Players ( 2 DB's / 3 DT 's / 3 O-Line / 1 LB / 1 WR / 1QB / 1 LS ) AS STATED BY EARLIER  POSTER... Amazingly  /> ALL are still Patriots FINAL 2009 PATS DRAFT SELECTIONS : 2 34 Patrick Chung, S, Oregon 2 40 Ron Brace, DL, Boston College 2 41 Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut 2 58 Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston 3 83 Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina 3 97 Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida 4 123 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State 5 170 George Bussey, OL, Louisville 6 198 Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii 6 207 Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky 7 232 Julian Edelman, WR, Kent 7 234 Darryl Richard, DL, Georgia Tech  
    Posted by CaptFoxboro
    Thorough post now if only you had a crystal ball you could maybe have an idea as to which direction BB will go this year...LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Captfoxboro... thanks I try to bring something new or at least a fresh way to look at stuff When I post a new thread.... As for this draft There is more potential to hit on a pretty decent player with nearly every pick in this draft then there has been maybe ever. With all the Juniors coming out it also makes sense that we use Oaklands pick and trade our own in 2011 moving it out to 2012 when the draft should rebound again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

good point about moving the 2011 OAK to 2012 or even adding it to a deal this year might be the best idea. How about moving back into the third this year by trading OAK 1st next year for two 3rd's from PHI #70 & #87. Good value maybe?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Wow I was right about the compensatories... I looked at it and I couldn't see us getting 4 seventh round picks when one was for Gaffney. I figured we had to get one 6th... now I am sure we move the 6th and two seventh round picks we own in trades of some sort.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Could end up with another late pick if we move A. Thomas. At this rate the Patriots will be able to do a lot of things in this draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

The 2009 draft is looking pretty good on paper right now.  I remember when this time last year everyone was saying there's no way we will draft 12 players because there's no room for them.  Now we can draft 13 more.  Seems like the Pats are "rebuilding or reloading" not that they can't be competitive now.  But with all these young players and all the locker room talk and the Pats signing guys that already were in the system and locker room, seems like the Pats are trying to cultivate a whole new crop of young hungry skilled players that will buy into the Belicheck Way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

RealtyPats... I have to agree they are adding a lot of young and hungry guys while making sure to have enough vets who know the system and culture they want to mentor the young guys.  I think the Patriots are capable of retooling while still being capable of a championship.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

YOU CAN BE SURE THE PATS WILL DRAFT A PUNTER IN THE 6TH OR SEVENTH ROUND AND,THANKFULLY,THERE ARE 3 GOOD UP FOR GRABS THIS YEAR.A PERSONAL FAVORITE IS MESKO FROM MICHIGAN(HAS THERE EVER BEEN A ZOLTAN IN THE NFL BEFORE?)AND NI'D USE A 6TH ROUNDER TO GET HIM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

You and I on the same page, Natesubs. The picks will allow the Pats to draft some depth and their pick of the best punters. I am disappointed that the Pats  did not get more for Gaffney. Both Pryor and Edelman played very well (late rounders) and Belichick can use them as chips to move up or down (still no third so I can see Bill trading down for 2011 picks). Either way this could be the most eventful Pats draft since last year (13 trades !).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

UPDATED DRAFT PICKS WITH POSITIONS NOW THAT COMP PICKS AWARDED:

1st Round (22nd Overall) Trade value: 780
    2nd Round (Jaguars 44th Overall) Trade value: 460
    2nd Round (Titans 47th Overall) Trade value: 430
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) Trade value: 370
    4th Round (119th Overall) Trade value: 56
    6th Round (190th Overall) Trade value: 16.4
    6th Round (205th Compensatory for Gaffney)
    7th Round (229th from PHI - Greg Lewis) Trade value:1.5
    7th Round (231st from DEN - Russ Hochstein) Trade value: 1.2
    7th Round (247th Compensatory for Evans)
    7th Round (248th Compensatory for Paxton)
    7th Round (250th Compensatory for Jordan)
    These picks have been traded away:

3rd Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess)
    5th Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess, Thru DEN - Le Kevin Smith)
    5th Round (TB - Alex Smith)
    7th Round (Den - Le Kevin Smith)

Now looking at this you can see there isn't alot of point value with the 6th, and two 7th round picks we have that can be traded but lets say we package both of the 7th's and the 6th for a 5th this year which we don't currently own... or even a 5th next year I think you will see a deal like that because there is no way the Patriots use all 12 picks they currently controll. I break it down this way... I see them using the 4 compensatories because they can't trade them thought they could just pass on the selection but that is rarely done unless you are Matt Millen LOL.
    SO here is my dream draft which is plausable when you look at teams we trade with and that they have links to New England and also need to rebuild...So that leaves 8 picks they can move and I think they move around as I have said before A LOT... and they could do this based on the point values:

Trade #22 and #44 to Denver for their pick @ #11
    Trade #53 to Cleveland for their #71 (3rd round) and Clevelands  pick at #134 (5th round) and a 2011 4th round pick.
    Trade Pick #190 (6th) and #229 (7th) and #231 (7th) for KC's #144 (5th they have 3 5th rounders and will be looking to add depth and would covet the 3 picks)
    Trade Pick #134 and #144 (5th Round for Seattles 104th (4th round) pick. (seattle mas multiples in 4th.) 

So that remakes our draft to:
    1st round: #11
    2nd round: #48
    3rd round: #71
    4th round: #104 and #119th
    6th round: #205
    7th round: #247 and #248 and #250

I think drafting 9 players with 4 might as well say out of the top 100 is a solid move while still improving draft position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I thought I would throw in this information just incase you hadn't thought about this: The 2011 Draft Picks the Patriots own are as follows:
    1st Round
    1st Round (Richard Seymour-Oakland)
    2nd Round
    3rd Round
    4th Round
    5th Round
    6th Round
    7th Round
    7th Round (David Thomas-New Orleans)

If they did something like I mentioned in previous post (picking up a 2011 4th round pick) by trading a pick for a mid round pick in 2011 they would be set to be movers in that draft which will be very important if it is as week a draft class as it may be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

you know in the past the 4th round was once important to have an early pick if not the first pick because you could regroup after the first three and see if anyone slipped through that is a steal. With the new format I am not sure it is as important as having a couple 4th round picks to use to maximise your chances to draft a good player in the 4th.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Hey DaBlade ,GOOD STUFF !
       I like that you've been having some fun with this and I like your thinkin regarding the later rounds ( Considering we're now officially stacked with t total 6th / 7th rounders  , trading the three we're allowed to is obviously the way to go )
    That said , I absolutely hate the idea of trading the 2nd rounders
     ( Unless it's in a deal like giving up the Pats late 2nd / 4th  / 7th for a teams 2011 1st and 2010 3rd & 5th )

This draft is deepest in years ( according to everybody & their cousin ) so staying put ( or moving slightly down ) seems to be the no-brainer here.

I can understand trading up if theres the perfect "CANT MISS " guy that you think will be the missing link for your team ...But how many actual BLUE CHIP / CANT MISS guys are there in this draft that the Pats could move up and snag anyway ?

Personally , the only other way I'd be onboard with moving a 2nd round selection would be in a trade for a proven NFL player .

NOTE : I'd also be onboard with movin' down with our 1st rounder ( crowd boo's ) ... especially if it means getting the 1st pick in the 2nd round from the Rams
    ( Due to the new "overnight " rule between rounds 1 & 2 this year ... That particular pick could easily be parlayed to the sky being the limit , as teams will have had time to reload and re-covet )

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree the 1st pick in the second round is the new 1st pick in the 4th round but on steroids...um maybe not the right analogy considering were talking NFL but you get the idea. 
    I think there are 3 guys in this draft that if they were available at pick 11 (Denver) the Patriots would be smart to consider...

1. CJ Spiller is the first, I outlined how he could be the next Chris Johnson and I also mentioned how Belichick is kind of a mentor to Dabo Swinney Head Coach of Clemson who I am sure has told Belichick all he needs to know about CJ.

2. The Second Player that might be available at 11 that I would think the Patriots would give consideration to moving up for is  Jason Pierre-Paul, DE/OLB, South Florida considering he can play the 3-4 elephant while also being big enough to stand tall against the run at the 4-3 DE position he has the flexibility Belichick loves since he moves between defensive fronts often.

3. The last player I think he would trade up for if he was available at 11 is Rolando McLain, LB, Alabama because first he has a Saban Pedigree and again can play in the 3-4 or the 4-3 and the Patriots love that flexibility.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 NFL Draft w/ info on Compensatory picks : Todd Collins
    Posted by digger0862

the singer?

sorry... it was a tough week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i think they should just use all of it. given the depth this year, some special but raw guys/ late bloomers are bound to be available in the 7th. they will come in the form of one-dimensional players for now - fast, big, tall, strong or insane. maybe they can take the tallest wr, quickest rb, biggest dl or biggest ol. perhaps one of them turns out to be one of those that turn out to be a brady or a welker.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

i think they should just use all of it. given the depth this year, some special but raw guys/ late bloomers are bound to be available in the 7th. they will come in the form of one-dimensional players for now - fast, big, tall, strong or insane. maybe they can take the tallest wr, quickest rb, biggest dl or biggest ol. perhaps one of them turns out to be one of those that turn out to be a brady or a welker.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I tend to agree that we use the picks we have but I think as usuall the Patriots will be looking to deal picks to improve their position... My thoughts have changed a little on how they might handle the draft as more information has come in, now moving up if one of those top 3 or 4 players they have on their board is there at 10 or 11 is a possibility but beyond that I could see them moving their own 2011 first rounder for a 3rd and 5th this year to Cleveland. ( I know some say the Patriots don't trade with Cleveland due to Mangina, but I think They are the obvious trade partner especially with Holmgren there now).

Their Draft might end up looking like this:

3rd  Round (71st Overall) Trade Value: 235- From trade to Cleveland
    5th Round (134th Overall) Trade Value: 39- From trade to Cleveland
    6th Round (190th Overall) Trade value: 16.4
    7th Round (229th from PHI - Greg Lewis) Trade value:1.5
    7th Round (231st from DEN - Russ Hochstein) Trade value: 1.2

2011 2nd round pick Cleveland around 400 point value less then the total point value of what we give up in 2011 (720 points or more) but that draft is weak so this is why I think this is a deal the Patriots would make as well as Cleveland.

Cleveland Trade: Our 2011 1st round pick is likely going to be no higher then 22nd so lets use a Pick rated at pick #25 (720 Points) as a likely value to replace. Taking into account the 2011 draft will not be anywhere near as deep as this year I think this trade makes tons of sense for both teams because we want to maximise our ability to increase the tallent level on our team this draft with the depth in so many of our need areas being deep. Cleveland will want to maximise their value for this as well as next years draft as they are rebuilding and giving them another 1st in 2011 helps them out big time while we keep Oaklands 1st rounder which will be in the mix of the 1st round tallent available next year. So the trade is:
    New Englands 2011 1st round pick for Clevelands 2010 3rd (71st) and 5th (134th) and 2011 second round pick whose likely value will be around 400 points 
    These picks have been traded away:

3rd Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess)
    5th Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess, Thru DEN - Le Kevin Smith)
    5th Round (TB - Alex Smith)
    7th Round (Den - Le Kevin Smith)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

So looking at that type of deal which I am now thinking is pretty likely that remakes our 2010 draft to this with a couple minor changes expected as well...

3rd  Round (71st Overall) Trade Value: 235-
    From trade to Cleveland
    5th Round (134th Overall) Trade Value: 39- 
    From trade to Cleveland
    6th Round (175th Overall) Trade value: 22.3-From trade to Carolina

With all the compensatories and especially if they add the two picks from Cleveland trade or something simmilar I would expect them to move at least 2 of the three movable picks in rounds 6 and 7. Maybe all 3. My move would be to trade all 3 for a higher 6th round maybe.  lets say to Carolina (who with Compensatories has a couple 6th round picks) for pick #175 which has a value around 22 and our three together is valued at 19 close enough to make it work as picks moved around this late is about adding boddies that fill out a roster not likely adding a Star. 

What do you think? I like this look if they were to do something like that do you think it makes it more likely they use lets say pick #44 with #22 to move up to pick 10 or 11?