2010 Receiving Core?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

2010 Receiving Core?

Given that WR depth and versatility was a huge problem all year, here is what I hope to see next season.

WR#1: Moss
    WR#2: Stallworth/Tate?
    WR#3 (slot): Edelman 
    WR#4: Tate/Branch?
    WR#5: Welker (only because he should be eased back in)
    WR#6: Aiken

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2010 Receiving Core?

WR-Moss, Floyd (FA), Welker (PUPL), Edelman, Tate, Decker (R), Aiken

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Stallworth had some big plays but he wasn't exactly a great fit for this offense either.  By the end of his yr in NE, he was passed by Gaffney on the depth chart and they had picked Gaffney off the scrap heap.

Pats need more than good athletes at WR.  They need smart guys that can analyze the D and run their routes accordingly.  It's a read and react type of thing.  That's why we've brought in guys over the yrs like Galloway and Donald Hayes that have ended up looking totally clueless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

How about guys that can run a route and catch a ball, all while chewing gum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd like to see this:

Current players:  Moss, Edelman, Tate and Aiken.

Drafted:  Eric Decker (3-4 round) or Riley Cooper (3-4 round)

FA Options:  Mark Clayton or Derrick Mason (Baltimore) or Lee Evans (Buffalo)

Welker is an unknown at this point so they may build assuming he won't provide much value next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Lee Evans

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

Is lee evans a fa in an uncapped year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I don't know why Branch is brought up over and over again.  I wouldn't want him back, he's not close to being a top tier WR and he held out for more money.  We ripped Seattle off in that trade, there are plenty of other guys out there I'd rather the Pats go after."

Branch might not have much left physically but we know 2 things for sure about him. 

1) He understood and thrived in the Pats system

2) He had a great rapport with Brady.

It's hard to say the same thing about guys who haven't been in NE before.  That's why people keep bringing up Branch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

If branch is cut, the pats should strongly consider signing him for the points siestafiesta makes above.

Plus, branch is still a very good player for the seahawks although he does have some durability concerns.

However, those concerns are why he may be cut and why we may be able to sign him to a mid-range deal.

Finally, to hold a grudge against him because he held out for more money seems odd. The pats play hardball with the players, and I am usually glad they do, but the players have every right to do the same-

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

"I'd like to see this:

Current players:  Moss, Edelman, Tate and Aiken.

Drafted:  Eric Decker (3-4 round) or Riley Cooper (3-4 round)

FA Options:  Mark Clayton or Derrick Mason (Baltimore) or Lee Evans (Buffalo)

Welker is an unknown at this point so they may build assuming he won't provide much value next season."

I agree.  But must add that Welker will be back--and will be a big factor at least in the second half of the season.  Lee Evans would be a big boost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

jcappy,
    Welker could come back by the second half of the season, I'm just not ready to pencil in a ton of production from him.  His entire game is predicated on his short area quickness and speed in and out of his cuts so you have to wonder how this knee injury (which was non-contact, while he was attempting to cut) will effect him long term.  I hope I'm wrong.

Edelman (who showed me a lot vs. Baltimore) is nice to have in that his development can prevent NE from having to rush Welker back before he's fully healed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I thought Lee Evans just re-signed with Buffalo last year.

If he is available, I would love to have that guy.  He is a BB type of player. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Tell me again why Branch is even being condsidered here. Did someone say he thrived in the PATS system, really? He missed 11 games in 4 years, he barley gave us #2 production and couldnt put up 6 if you gave him 4 and 2! Hes the definition of inconsistency, always hurt..ALWAYS HURT! Hes played a full 16 once in 8 years, thats unbelievable, for the life of me I cant understand why some of you want him? Im seriously asking why, his production at this point is between a 3-4 and the guy has never been able to get in the end zone. Someone said in a post above that "he thrived in the PATS O and had a rapport with 12". First, who cares about hid rapport with 12, seriously tell me what relevance that has at all? Guys come in on different teams every year and put up big numbers, all while knowing their team for an hour an a half, ie Moss-Welker, just a quick example. Favre had no rapport with the Vikes, how'd TO do in Phila and in Dallas? Rapport and all that BS is just that, BS. And to say he thrived here might be overstating it a lil' or ALOT! It took him 4 years to sniff a 1000 and that being his best year ever he ended up with 998 and 5 TD's. Your on a computer, so use it! Its not hard to look up his numbers and see hes a chit player! So FIESTA please tell me why you would want to bring him back, you even admit he doesnt have much left physically.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Id like to see us draft a WR with one of our picks in the second round
    there are a lot of really good players in this draft that arent projected to go high in the draft
    like Demaryius Thomas, 
    hed be a monster in our system
    and if not him then there are other great WRs thatll go in the second or later
    like Dezmon Briscoe, the WR from Kansas who is also a tall fast reciever

but id really like to see Demaryius Thomas as a patriot next season

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

How about they sign Vincent Jackson? Isn't he a FA?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Branch would certainly be an improvement over whoever is #3 right now. However, has BB ever brought back anyone who has left? And with two knee injuries, I wouldn't count on Tate, (see Crable). In an uncapped year, Kraft will have to open his wallet, which I doubt, otherwise it'll be another first round playoff loss. Does anyone get the feeling that with three Superbowls in the bank, the Pats brass will be happy just to make the playoffs every year? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

#1 MOSS -
    #2 BOLDIN (Trade for him!) Need a big time WR opposite Moss.  This will help as well with the loss of Welker for probably the better half of next yr.  Need to help Brady out as well!!!!
    #3 Edelman/*Welker (*see welker below)
    #4 Tate   (hopefully Tate evolves this upcoming yr.)
    #5 Draft WR with one of their 2nd Rounders?  Hopefully hit on him.
    #6 Aiken - (Is a special teamer/fill in as Wideout)

Welker (Injury as we all know)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Evans is a FA....

First: 8/14/2009
    Last: 1/27/2010
    I don't know why Branch is brought up over and over again.  I wouldn't want him back, he's not close to being a top tier WR and he held out for more money.  We ripped Seattle off in that trade, there are plenty of other guys out there I'd rather the Pats go after.

I'd love to see Stallworth back but I doubt Cleveland will cut him.  Breaston I think is a FA this year, though I think he'll probably get more money somewhere else but I'd like to see him in a Pats uniform next year.
    You don't want Branch back because you don't think that he is close to being a top tier WR (which no-one said he was)......but you want Stallworth back?  What has Stallworth done that Branch hasn't?  Branch has a better chemestry than Stallworth with Brady.  Both are injury prone and one has killed someone.....I would rather not have the drunk.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

1. Moss 2. Trade for either Boldin, brandon Marshal. Dwane Bowe, malcom Flloyd, Vincent Jackson,Evans
    3. Welker which is really a two/edleman
    4.Tate when he returns/stallworth/branch
    5.Whoever we draft hopefully golden tate, arrelius ben, mardy gilliard

p.s. lets trade up to the tenth spot in the first round with jacksonville and get CJ spiller. jacksonville can have our 22nd and something else . where they can draft tebow.

Tarde maroney, drop fred taylor , leep faulk and morris, give benjarvus greenellis a chance and pick up another back like tomlinson, portis, mcgahee via free agency

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fosdyke71. Show fosdyke71's posts

They need to land a big FA or trade to help Moss. Floyd, Jackson, Marshall, whoever. Throw in who you want for the supporting cast, but they can't let teams get away with double teaming Moss out of every game with no risk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

Bills, Evans ink American football contract extension

BUFFALO, New York (AFP) — The Buffalo Bills have signed wide receiver Lee Evans to a contract extension that will keep him with the team through the 2012 National Football League season.

The Bills did not disclose terms of Thursday 's deal, but the Buffalo News reported it was worth up to 37.25 million dollars over four years, including 18.25 million dollars guaranteed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It appears the FA site I was using was inaccurate, scratch him from my list of potential FA WR's.  I'll stick with Mark Clayton or Derrick Mason.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Moss is slowing down due to age. Edelman is not ready to be 2nd receiver. How can you guys count on Tate? Hes had 2 surgeries on his knees in the past year. He played in 2 games and got hurt again, and that was a different knee. Prepare like he will not play next year, same goes with Welker. Dont count on injuried players.
    Pats need to find hidden gems like Garcon and Collie in the draft.

Our WR core as it is right now wouldnt rank in the top 15 in league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's my wish list for WRs next year
    Moss, Floyd (FA), Branch (he will be released), Edelman, Cooper (R), Tate

This would be a major improvement from this year.  Floyd would command respect accross from moss and should clear the middle for Branch/Edelman.  Cooper is a tall receiver who needs to work on his hands but could eventually be Moss replacement. 
    I do not have WW here because I don't think he'll be ready and the team will certainly will not push him to come back.
    If Branch can stay healthy he would be Welkers replacement and Edelman will lead the team in catches.  In a 4 WR set teams I take Edelman everytime over team's 4th CB or Safety.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

ceasar;

I just don't understand you guys who always want to "bring people back".

Branch has been injured more often than not and hasn't exactly distinguished himself since he left, and he's much older and slower now. He's never going to play at the superbowl MVP level again!

Stallworth never contributed much when he was here, why on earth would you want to bring him back now, when again he's older and slower?

Look at the Colts' receivers; Collie and that Haitian guy; late round picks that caught everything that was thrown to them and seemed to always be in the right place at the right time.

Remember when TB used to have completions to 5 or 6 different guys during the course of a game? When his favorite receiver was the one who was open? That's what we need to get back to, through FA and the draft.

Forget about aiken, he's a special teamer only. He had a chance to step up this year and instead fell flat on his face. Cannot depend on tate. If he pans out, its found money. Edelman fills in for welker but you can;t really have two slot receivers on the field at the same time.

That leaves us with one legitimate WR, moss. We need to add at least three more this off season

BTW its corps not "core".

Sections
Shortcuts