2010 Welker Effectiveness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

2010 Welker Effectiveness

The news reports are all positive, but the news cannot be trusteed. If welker is ready to go for 2010 will he be  the same guy? Have guys with a similar role bounced back from such an injury? Can you all think of past examples that are reasons for hope with welker?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Re: 2010 Welker Effectiveness

The only one I can think of is Philip Rivers...had the same injury, came back just as quick, and threw for over 4.000 yards...

If Wes is completely medically cleared, I fully expect him to return to his old form for the most part...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I can't think of a good example that is most similar to Welker situation. But, I have read that his injury wasn't as serious as initially reported. With injuries regarding the mcl and acl, you must repair and rehab properly, if, done properly they will usually heal back to 100% if not sometime stronger. The human body naturally builds a stronger defense around the injury. But, Welker won't be back to his "usual" self until he begins to rebuild strength in the knee, that will take a lot of time and conditioning to not overwork the knee and keep it healthy. Luckily for Welker he had no post surgery problems and has been rehabbing  his knee nicely and in my personal opinion I expect Welker to be a minor role player the first 2-4 weeks, then weeks 4-10 they will begin to increase his load and he will begin to push himself back to a WR threat. Finally depending on the Patriots record going into the final weeks, they could have Welker make a good bulk of catches or rest him going into the playoffs. After last year I am sure BB will go over that last decision a few more times this time around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i hope that they PUP welker. It would ensure that he is fully healed and force brady to get used to throwing to other WR's such as Price, Tate, and endelman or TE's such as hernandez, gronkowski, and crumpler.  This would help him spread the ball around once welker returns similar to the years of pats superbowls. The past few seasons he relyed too much on welker and moss making our offense too predictable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Players are just meat.  The NFL doesn't care if they get injured.  As soon as Welker is able to play, they will throw him in there without concern about further injury.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Welker Effectiveness:
    The only one I can think of is Philip Rivers...had the same injury, came back just as quick, and threw for over 4.000 yards... If Wes is completely medically cleared, I fully expect him to return to his old form for the most part...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

this is spot on. if he's able to make those zero turn cuts - he should be fine

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Welker has all ready proven not to be your average human specimen. With his height and size who would have picked him to be the tough as nails, high impact player he is today?

I have no question that if he says he is ready to play, he means ready to play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I don't think he'll ever be 100%.

Since his livelihood is made on running good routes; which require some serious cuts...it'll take at least half the season before he merely gets over the fear of blowing out his knee again.

Tom Brady is a good example.  I think many would agree that his mechanics were off most of last season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from breezer827. Show breezer827's posts

I don't think there is a good example. U can't compare a QB and a wide receiver with similar injuries. I think that we will see the rust and the hesitant Wes in the pre season. After he plays some in the pre season i think he will be pretty much back to himself. If he isn't himself we shouldn't panic. We still have Edelman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

He may never reach 100% again but but it won't be for lack of trying.

I'll still take welker at 90% over any other slot receiver in the league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

i hope that they PUP welker. It would ensure that he is fully healed and force brady to get used to throwing to other WR's such as Price, Tate, and endelman or TE's such as hernandez, gronkowski, and crumpler.  This would help him spread the ball around once welker returns similar to the years of pats superbowls. The past few seasons he relyed too much on welker and moss making our offense too predictable.
    Posted by natesubs

The only way Welker could go on the regular season PUP is if he starts training camp on the preseason PUP and is not activated.  He would not be allowed to participate in practice at all.

Given that the Pats seem prepared to have him activated for training camp, they won't have the option of placing him on the regular season PUP and missing the first six weeks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

U can't compare a QB and a wide receiver with similar injuries.  Posted by breezer827

very true, alot of difference

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

He'll be just fine this is football not ballet where precision movements are critical.......you run, cut, catch the freakin ball.

What concerns me is seeing him fielding punts.  He took way to many unnecessary hits last year.  He better never do that again unless he's there only to fair catch it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breezer827. Show breezer827's posts

I will laugh myself into a coma if NY chokes in the opener to Batlimore and Welker plays in Week 2. Then NY has to go down to Miami in Week 3. Can you say 0-3 to start the season for the Jets?
    Posted by russgriswold

That would be the best thing ever. Then Rex Ryan can go into the locker room and cry to his players again to try and motivate them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I think Wes Welker will be playing in game 1, but he'll still need to fine-tune his game to his former effectiveness.

No knock on Welker, but Brady will be quite busy throwing all over the field even when Welker is open.  For any given team, they'll be unable to adequately cover Hernandez, or Edelman and Welker at the same time, or Alge Crumpler can catch occasionally.  It looks like Brandon Tate should be good to go with a year of experience now.  In the wings, Gronkowski has extraordinary physical tools (height, long arms, pancake strength) for pass catching, and Price has his own tools (height, long arms, lateral acceleration, muscle).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Hey so I have a question for all the experts:  does the defense communicate with each other mid-play? 

For example, if there is a deep safety watching the QB and a CB chasing a WR upfield, does the safety signal to the CB once he sees the QB throw the ball in his direction?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Hey so I have a question for all the experts:  does the defense communicate with each other mid-play?  For example, if there is a deep safety watching the QB and a CB chasing a WR upfield, does the safety signal to the CB once he sees the QB throw the ball in his direction?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

There's usually too much crowd noise, and the players in front can't afford to look backwards for half a second.  Occasionally someone on the defense yells "Draw! Draw! Draw!" or some similar guiding remark if they've smelled out the offense, but that's often just before the snap, not after.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I was just wondering because sometimes a CB will break off his pursuit and turn around to intercept a ball thrown behind him without having even looked at the QB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

He may never reach 100% again but but it won't be for lack of trying. I'll still take welker at 90% over any other slot receiver in the league.
    Posted by unclealfie

hellya....i agree

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Welker Effectiveness : very true, alot of difference
    Posted by kansaspatriot

I think the demands are that much tougher for a wr....few QBs do that kind of running and cutting. My only point was that it takes a lot of time for the knee to heal and rehab.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

It's really good news that Welker won't start the season on PUP, because it accelerates his "back to football speed" curve.  Coming back in week 7 and then having 9 weeks to get up to speed is a very different thing than having 16 full games to gear up for the playoffs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

Injuries like this have been treated with greater positive result the last number of years.  The question is who comes to mind the last five to seven years who suffered an injury like this and DIDN'T come back well.

I think Welker will start slow but come out blazing by December.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I hope you are right Russ...the part about this organization learning that they can't just rely on Moss and Welker. We'll see, but we have the weapons to really open things up big time. Lets hope we use them.

I as well hope we don't see Welker fielding punts this year. We have a few guys that should be very adequate in this department. I want Wes to stay fresh and healthy as the year progresses and I think returning punts is just a good way to get yourself killed. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I was just wondering because sometimes a CB will break off his pursuit and turn around to intercept a ball thrown behind him without having even looked at the QB.

And sometimes guys like Hobbs and Wilhite never turn around when the balls thrown.