2011 Draft best draft in longtime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime

Interesting thread, all in all, don't necessarily agree that BB's draft record is as poor as some seem to think it is but opinions on that will always vary.  For a different (and arguably more objective) view I found a link that I posted in this thread:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a4b4d1a09-93ad-4c6b-ba7d-2161fab5a028&plckCurrentPage=0

Shenanigan then took it a step further and applied the criteria contained here to BB's recent draft record:

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/articles/draft-metrics/successful-drafting/

Results were also interesting.

Again, opinions will always vary on this issue. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Here's Shenanigan's analysis applying the sidelinescouting criteria:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a6b34969a-fcc3-4b74-b05b-1067808ce54b

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

BB has always said he tries to make decisions based on what is right for the long term success of the team. Last year was different than any offseason we have seen in a long time because of the lockout\strike, no spring or early summer sessions. Both the offensive and defensive schemes the Pats run are complex, so my thought is that he may have felt he wasnt going to get a whole lot of the rookies this year, regardless of the position drafted. Solder has done as well as could be expected. The jury is definitely out on Ras-I because of his injury history. He will not put young running backs into a situation they are not ready for i.e. picking up blitzers, but I would expect Ridley and Vereen to be big contributors next year. Activating Cannon shows he has some trust in him already, and that pick may be the steal of the draft. Is Mallett the solution after TB? We wont know for a few years, but he has the arm and grew up with football (his father coaches), so maybe Bill knows already. If it all plays out, the 2010 and 2011 drafts might keep the team near the top for several years. And they have several top picks in next years draft as well. Yes, I am a glass-is-half-full kind of person.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

As much as I bash their recent drafts, Gronk is an all world steal, Hernandez helps the offense and Solder is an amazing talent. Mankins turned out well and Mayo too. It's just that when you had 16 picks in the first two rounds over the last 4 years I expected more. When you trade down into the second round because you think there's value there, those players need to perform like first rounders. When you say you have many guys rated the same in selections 33-45 as guys rated 22-32, then the guys you select need to perform that way. Brace, Butler, Spikes, Cunningham, Wheatly, Volmer, Dawling, Vareen, Chung (only guy performing like he should, and he's far from perfect) haven't performed like second rounders, never mind first's. And if you want to include third rounders it's even worse.

Of course this is all moot if Vareen turns into Brian Westbrook or Curtis Martin and Ridley turns into Corey Dillon...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime:
    [QUOTE]As much as I bash their recent drafts, Gronk is an all world steal, Hernandez helps the offense and Solder is an amazing talent. Mankins turned out well and Mayo too. It's just that when you had 16 picks in the first two rounds over the last 4 years I expected more. When you trade down into the second round because you think there's value there, those players need to perform like first rounders. When you say you have many guys rated the same in selections 33-45 as guys rated 22-32, then the guys you select need to perform that way. Brace, Butler, Spikes, Cunningham, Wheatly, Volmer, Dawling, Vareen, Chung (only guy performing like he should, and he's far from perfect) haven't performed like second rounders, never mind first's. And if you want to include third rounders it's even worse. Of course this is all moot if Vareen turns into Brian Westbrook or Curtis Martin and Ridley turns into Corey Dillon...
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Vollmer and Spikes were picked number 58 and number 62.... NOT 33-45 range. In my opinion they were hits in that rd and good value.

Spikes fell b/c he wasn't considered fast enough to be a 3 down LB but in a 3-4 D bringing toughness/passion and big hits for 2 downs he was great value at 62.

Vollmer was a bit of a reach at the time b/c he was from Germany and hadn't played the game too long. He was considered a bit of a raw talent w/ great size. But we have an amazing O-line coach to help development and he's become a very solid RT. Perfect value at number 58.

If you re-did that draft I'd argue that both those players get picked 15-20 spots higher.

Cunningham, Vareen and Dowling all get to have the 2012 season to show if they were worthy of those selections, so you can't give them a report card yet.

So basically in the past 3 drafts that we've had multiple 2nd rd picks BB blew the Wheatly, Brace and Butler picks. We should have stood pat in rd 1 and gotten Matthews or used those picks in 09 on Jairus Byrd and LeSean McCoy. Wheatley is going back almost 4 years and was the 2nd to last pick in the '08 draft, but yes I'd have argued that with Maroney having more than work out his welcome after 3 full seasons that pick should have been Jamaal Charles.

Three of his 2nd rd picks (Wheatley, Butler and Dowling) were direct results of not signing Asante Samuel and Brace was insurance in case we didn't extend Wilfork... showing that is is always dumb to not lock up a pro-bowl top 5 player on your team 2-3 years in advance so you don't have to try and replace them through the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So if you are keeping track at home

2nd rd:

Hits - Gronk, Chung, Vollmer, Spikes

Misses - Wheatley, Brace, Butler

Incomplete - Cunningham, Vareen, Dowling

Cunningham is the closest incomplete to a miss obviously and Brace still has a tiny bit of incomplete in him... maybe he can turn it around. Or maybe he is just the next Marquisse Hill... a 330lb monster 2nd rd pick with no desire to become anything.

Let's say that Dowling stays healthy and actually turns into a solid #2-#3 CB and Vareen takes over for Kevin Faulk as a reliable 3rd down back w/ some change of pace speed.

But Cunningham and Brace both stay stinkers.

Then in 4 drafts of 10 players Bill will have had 6 hits na d4 misses (60%... not bad) with his TE becoming one of the bets in the league worthy of being picked 20 slots higher... solid starting SS, ILB, RT.... and depth CB and RB.

The misses will always seem to hurt more than the pride you feel for the hits... and that is a shame. Yes I'd love to have Byrd or Charles Godfrey next to Chung, Jamaal Charles or LeCroy next to BJGE/Woodhead, Asante still on this team and linebackers like Justin Houston and Akeem Ayers and a pass rusher like Matthews or Carlos Dunlap...

but 60% is good esp with one guy going to be an all-pro and 2 guys with shots to make the pro-bowl each year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]So if you are keeping track at home 2nd rd: Hits - Gronk, Chung, Vollmer, Spikes Misses - Wheatley, Brace, Butler Incomplete - Cunningham, Vareen, Dowling Cunningham is the closest incomplete to a miss obviously and Brace still has a tiny bit of incomplete in him... maybe he can turn it around. Or maybe he is just the next Marquisse Hill... a 330lb monster 2nd rd pick with no desire to become anything. Let's say that Dowling stays healthy and actually turns into a solid #2-#3 CB and Vareen takes over for Kevin Faulk as a reliable 3rd down back w/ some change of pace speed. But Cunningham and Brace both stay stinkers. Then in 4 drafts of 10 players Bill will have had 6 hits na d4 misses (60%... not bad) with his TE becoming one of the bets in the league worthy of being picked 20 slots higher... solid starting SS, ILB, RT.... and depth CB and RB. The misses will always seem to hurt more than the pride you feel for the hits... and that is a shame. Yes I'd love to have Byrd or Charles Godfrey next to Chung, Jamaal Charles or LeCroy next to BJGE/Woodhead, Asante still on this team and linebackers like Justin Houston and Akeem Ayers and a pass rusher like Matthews or Carlos Dunlap... but 60% is good esp with one guy going to be an all-pro and 2 guys with shots to make the pro-bowl each year.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree on all of the above with the possible exception of Vereen.  Might be a bit early to make an assessment on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : i don't see next year's DEs to be anywhere near those in the 2011 class. 2012, i believe is a WR+CB class.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I pretty much comes down to just 3 DE's we coulda had with the 1st rd pick we traded away: Cameron Jordan, Muhammad Wilkerson and Cameron Heyward.

We didn't like what we saw so we traded the pick, got Vareen out of the deal (who we must have seen as a big priority with Faul injured/aging... I personally didn't see a 3rd down back as a major need) and now have NO's pick which could be anywhere from 22-32 this year.

We felt vets Warren/Ellis could fill the DE/DT role and Carter/Anderson the rush DE role.

Jordan doesn't have a sack and is getting 2-3 tackles a game,he is def a pure DE, not the hybrid many here felt he was.

Muhammad would be better than Ellis/Warren... but he just has just 1 sack and isn't lighting the world on fire.

Heyward has 1 sack, 1 FF and is a backup.

So what should we have done?

Traded up from pick 28 to the late teens to pick up Adrian Clayborn (our late 2nd rd pick)... who if we had drafted him we could have passed on Ellis/Anderson?

Traded both our 1st rd picks up to get JJ Watt?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : I'm inclined to agree on all of the above with the possible exception of Vereen.  Might be a bit early to make an assessment on him.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Yes he is still 100% enigma... but at least you'd agree with my putting him in the 'incomplete' category and not the 'bust' or wasted pick category others are eager to throw him into...

Of course I'd have drafted Justin Houston over him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : Yes he is still 100% enigma... but at least you'd agree with my putting him in the 'incomplete' category and not the 'bust' or wasted pick category others are eager to throw him into... Of course I'd have drafted Justin Houston over him.

Totally agree on incomplete for Vereen; not sure how anyone could call the guy a bust.  And I can certainly see your point on Houston, particularly if they had Ridley in their sights.  Not really sure what the plan was there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

There really shouldn't be much anger about 'blowing the 2011 draft' as it pertains to D-lineman and trading away a 1st rd pick.

We shored up the line with Carter, Anderson, Warren and Ellis. We'd seen flashes from Pryor and Deaderick last year. We thought in March that Ty Warren AND Mike Wright were on their way back from injury AND it was too early to give up on 2nd rd pick Brace.

We were deep or Bill knew with free agency were about to become deep. He likely had the (now proven a failure) Hayensworth idea in his head all along as well.

But again, none of the DE's we passed on are lighting the world on fire.

If we use the Saints pick on one this year and Vareen ends up being everything we expected of a Faulk type shifty 3rd down pass-catching back... it will look like a good move to trade out of 2011.

In this years draft there are some solid lineman:

DT - Brandon Thompson, Dontari Poe, Alameda Ta'amu, Josh Chapman

3-4 DE/4-3 DT - Billy Winn, Devon Still, Jerel Worthy, Jared Crick, Fletcher Cox

DE (some OLB) - Courtney Upshaw Vinny Curry, Melvin Ingram, Brandon Jenkins

If we can grab 2 of those guys somewhere in the 25-45 range I'd be prettye excited about the future of the front 7.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : Totally agree on incomplete for Vereen; not sure how anyone could call the guy a bust.  And I can certainly see your point on Houston, particularly if they had Ridley in their sights.  Not really sure what the plan was there.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Would have been nice if instead of Dowling, Vareen, Ridley and Mallet they had signed Asomugha and drafted Akeem Ayers, Justin Houston and DeMarco Murray all in the 2nd rd...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Just my non-biased view.

Hits - Gronk

Serviceable - Spikes (the dude often looks lost in coverage and often hit the wrong hole).  Chung - In his 2nd year has shown nothing that would lead me to consider him a hit and the dude can't stay healthy.)

Misses - Wheatley, Brace, Butler, Cummingham (can't get on the field in his 2nd year), Dowling (injury history and couldn't make it through his rookie year)

Incomplete -Vareen (showed great potential last week). Vollmer (excellent 1st year, 2nd year slump)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]Just my non-biased view. Hits - Gronk Serviceable - Spikes (the dude often looks lost in coverage and often hit the wrong hole).  Chung - In his 2nd year has shown nothing that would lead me to consider him a hit and the dude can't stay healthy.)   Misses - Wheatley, Brace, Butler, Cummingham (can't get on the field in his 2nd year), Dowling (injury history and couldn't make it through his rookie year) Incomplete -Vareen (showed great potential last week). Vollmer (excellent 1st year, 2nd year slump)
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

This is much closer to reality, but some here just don't want to admit it.

The only "hit" of the bunch is Gronkowski.

Spikes is a two down backer. Do not ever expect him to be able to participate in pass defenses. Chung is a servicable safety, but much better on run support than coverage due to lack of speed. Vollmer could turn out to be more than servicable, but back injuries have derailed plenty of linemen.

Your incompletes are Vereen, Ridley and Dowling, although he may forever have trouble getting on the field. Some guys are just injury prone and there is no amount of work and/or coaching that will make it otherwise. Vereen and Ridley could prove to be useful, or not; there is simply no way 20-30 snaps can lead you to a conclusion one way or the other.

The rest are busts or JAG's at best. Cunningham looks like he's 30 lbs heavier and twice as slow than last year, where he played nearly 50% of the snaps and can't get on the field now. Brace is and will be nothing more than a JAG.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Just my non-biased view. Hits - Gronk Serviceable - Spikes (the dude often looks lost in coverage and often hit the wrong hole).  Chung - In his 2nd year has shown nothing that would lead me to consider him a hit and the dude can't stay healthy.)   Misses - Wheatley, Brace, Butler, Cummingham (can't get on the field in his 2nd year), Dowling (injury history and couldn't make it through his rookie year) Incomplete -Vareen (showed great potential last week). Vollmer (excellent 1st year, 2nd year slump)
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Chung and Vollmer are in their 3rd years

Who is Cummingham?

ha

If Chung and Spikes are serviceable than Vollmer sure as heck is

If Chung (who missed 5 of a possible 42 games in his career) is injury prone than what is Vollmer (who missed 7 of those 42 games)???

Gronk was a monster hit

Chung, Spikes and Vollmer are all hits.

The jury is still out on Dowling, Vareen and Cunningham

end of the 2nd rd story

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'd say you're pretty accurate Ramekap. Of course some people will always think every guy that's not a multiple pro bowler is a bust. I did a thread a week ago that had the percentages that other teams were hitting on players in the draft, compared to the Pats. Reality is most picks, even first rounders never amount to much more than non pro bowl non all pro level starters. Now, nobody is going to do an ESPN story on Chung and Vollmer but they are performing above what most 2nd rounders do. That's hard for some to believe, but the truth is nobody out there is drafting superstars in the first couple rounds year in and year out, and the Pats miss as much as anyone else...less actually. Cunningham looks like he's done, don't know what happened. I'm not going to judge Vereen, Ridley, or Dowling yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : This is much closer to reality, but some here just don't want to admit it. The only "hit" of the bunch is Gronkowski. Spikes is a two down backer. Do not ever expect him to be able to participate in pass defenses. Chung is a servicable safety, but much better on run support than coverage due to lack of speed. Vollmer could turn out to be more than servicable, but back injuries have derailed plenty of linemen. Your incompletes are Vereen, Ridley and Dowling, although he may forever have trouble getting on the field. Some guys are just injury prone and there is no amount of work and/or coaching that will make it otherwise. Vereen and Ridley could prove to be useful, or not; there is simply no way 20-30 snaps can lead you to a conclusion one way or the other. The rest are busts or JAG's at best. Cunningham looks like he's 30 lbs heavier and twice as slow than last year, where he played nearly 50% of the snaps and can't get on the field now. Brace is and will be nothing more than a JAG.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]
    I was glad when they selected Chung, he looked like a football player in every sense of the word when he came out, and he's shown flashes. I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure this guy is ever going to be anything more than average - his size was average at best when he came out and nothing has changed, and his coverage skills needed a lot of work...they still do. He does look like a guy that is injury prone to me because he looks so slight in his ankles and wrists, added to the fact that he plays reckless (which I like). He blitzed in the game against Pitts. and he didn't get there and I thought, god if this guy is going to be a difference maker, he's got to make that play.

I thought I saw Cunningham the other night and he did look 30lbs. heavier. I'm looking at that two ways: 1. They are trying to beef him up to play end in a 43 and it's why we haven't seen much of him. Or 2. He got benched and gained the weight and it's why we haven't seen him (I find this very hard to imagine)...I'm going with sceneio 1. I guess another scenerio was that it wasn't him that I saw at all, which based off of what he's done this year could be the case.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I like Chung and thought he looked like a good blitzer his rookie year..

I remember him getting 2 sacks as a rookie and one of them drew a 15 yard penalty he hit em so hard.

With Chung, just remember he was a 20 y/o rookie. He was a true freshman at Oregan at age 17 and played early and often.

So i guess what i am saying, is Chung is the future, but he needs to grow and the minor injuries will go away after a few years in the league and taking care of his body.

I was very high on him coming out for his leadership and no nonsense attitude, but I think we are expecting too much too early.

Just consider that we got spoiled with Rodney Harrison...who when he came here was a 10 year veteran. It will come with time, but I think a lot was put on his plate when they released all the veterans and had him here w/scrubs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I like Chung and thought he looked like a good blitzer his rookie year.. I remember him getting 2 sacks as a rookie and one of them drew a 15 yard penalty he hit em so hard. With Chung, just remember he was a 20 y/o rookie. He was a true freshman at Oregan at age 17 and played early and often. So i guess what i am saying, is Chung is the future, but he needs to grow and the minor injuries will go away after a few years in the league and taking care of his body. I was very high on him coming out for his leadership and no nonsense attitude, but I think we are expecting too much too early. Just consider that we got spoiled with Rodney Harrison...who when he came here was a 12 year veteran. It will come with time, but I think a lot was put on his plate when they released all the veterans and had him here w/scrubs
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]
    Ok I can buy that, perhaps I'm being too impatient, added into the fact that I may be lumping him with some other failures of our younger picks. His coverage skills will need to improve though, no doubt about that.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

But, with the exception of Solder, the 2011 Draft guys seldom get on the field, and they contribute very little.  Apparently our 2011 Draft guys are not as good as the guys we grabbed from other team's scap piles.   BB is a great coach, but fans and Kraft ought to be BS at the way the draft has been managed recently.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : I pretty much comes down to just 3 DE's we coulda had with the 1st rd pick we traded away: Cameron Jordan, Muhammad Wilkerson and Cameron Heyward. We didn't like what we saw so we traded the pick, got Vareen out of the deal (who we must have seen as a big priority with Faul injured/aging... I personally didn't see a 3rd down back as a major need) and now have NO's pick which could be anywhere from 22-32 this year. We felt vets Warren/Ellis could fill the DE/DT role and Carter/Anderson the rush DE role. Jordan doesn't have a sack and is getting 2-3 tackles a game,he is def a pure DE, not the hybrid many here felt he was. Muhammad would be better than Ellis/Warren... but he just has just 1 sack and isn't lighting the world on fire. Heyward has 1 sack, 1 FF and is a backup. So what should we have done? Traded up from pick 28 to the late teens to pick up Adrian Clayborn (our late 2nd rd pick)... who if we had drafted him we could have passed on Ellis/Anderson? Traded both our 1st rd picks up to get JJ Watt?

at the time, bb already knew that there was a possibility they would do more 4-man fronts. the team is lucky to have found carter, but getting a 4-3 de would would have been better than reaching for two RBs. without any trades, the following high motor guys were available...
    sheard
    reed
    ayers
    mcphee
    these guys were pretty much discussed a lot in the draft thread

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : Ok I can buy that, perhaps I'm being too impatient, added into the fact that I may be lumping him with some other failures of our younger picks. His coverage skills will need to improve though, no doubt about that.  
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think Ideally, You keep Chung at SS and maybe tell him put a few pounds on, although he is ok now.  We need a real FS to go along with him.

Chung has played both so much with all these no names coming in, I think he is confused. He needs to concentrate on coming up and talkling ball carrierrs and hitting WR's over the middle.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I like Chung and thought he looked like a good blitzer his rookie year.. I remember him getting 2 sacks as a rookie and one of them drew a 15 yard penalty he hit em so hard. With Chung, just remember he was a 20 y/o rookie. He was a true freshman at Oregan at age 17 and played early and often. So i guess what i am saying, is Chung is the future, but he needs to grow and the minor injuries will go away after a few years in the league and taking care of his body. I was very high on him coming out for his leadership and no nonsense attitude, but I think we are expecting too much too early. Just consider that we got spoiled with Rodney Harrison...who when he came here was a 12 year veteran. It will come with time, but I think a lot was put on his plate when they released all the veterans and had him here w/scrubs
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

agree with you on Chung

Harrison had played 9 seasons in Sd before he came here

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

this is a good tally of the rookie leaders in each major statistical category: nfldraftseason.com/the-nfl-rookie-report/nfl-rookie-round-up/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

crazy deep draft Tackles 1. Mason Foster LB, Tampa Bay Bucs – 48 2. Von Miller OLB, Denver Broncos – 48 3. Ryan Kerrigan OLB, Washington Redskins – 44 4. Jacquain Williams LB, New York Giants – 44 5. Patrick Peterson CB, Arizona Cardinals – 42 6. Akeem Ayers LB, Tennessee Titans – 41 7. Chris Harris S, Denver Broncos – 41 8. Brian Rolle LB, Philadelphia Eagles – 33 9. Phil Taylor DT, Cleveland Browns – 31 10. Jurell Casey DT, Tennessee Titans – 30 Sacks 1. Von Miller OLB, Denver Broncos – 9.5 2. Aldon Smith OLB, San Francisco 49ers - 7.5 3. Ryan Kerrigan OLB, Washington Redskins – 7 4. Brooks Reed OLB, Houston Texans – 5 5. Pernell McPhee OLB, Baltimore Ravens – 4 6. Adrian Clayborn DE, Tampa Bay Bucs – 4 7. Robert Quinn DE, St. Louis Rams – 4 8. Marcel Dareus DT, Buffalo Bills – 3. 5 9. Jabaal Sheard DE, Cleveland Browns – 3. 5 10. Sam Acho OLB, Arizona Cardinals – 3