2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

2011 Draft

I've seen many state the case for Mark Ingram in next year's draft, but don't you wonder if "Law Firm" continues to pound the rock as the anti-Maroney and the fact he was undrafted and Maroney was 1st Round, Bill will hit other areas of need...i.e. (Heyward, Clayborn, Robinson, AJ Green, etc)...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

I have been against using the Oak pick on Ingram since before Law Firm even started for us. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from a350227. Show a350227's posts

IMO: Take the best player available regardless of position.
    Knowing BB, he'll probably trade down and add even more picks :)
    But, if the talent is still there, maybe that will still be a good approach.
    Untimately, I think they just need impact guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from memery26. Show memery26's posts

We'll take the best player available that fits our needs, and if we don't think there is enough value in the spot we're in, we'll trade it away. I think we've drafted very well for years and years. A few hiccups along the way, but BB is a master with the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

All I know is, their last 2 drafts were very good as it appears and if they use all the picks in the first 4 rounds, maybe even trading UP, to add one in the 1st and maybe even the 2nd (this would be ridiculous), I smell a '74 Steelers or '86 type draft potential.

3 1sts.
    3 2nds
    1 3rd

That would be sick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

One thing is for sure barring anymore trades, the Patriots are now in control of who drafts whom. With 8 picks in the first 4 rounds the Patriots don't have the pick of the litter but they can force other teams into drafting positionally rather than the best player available,just because of the shear number of picks they control and where some of those picks will be located in the draft. Oakland's pick could yield a top 10 pick in round one and Carolina's pick could do the same for round two. What happens if Moss can't bail the Vikings out of their offensive funk? Could they fall victim to that third round pick being way better than expected? Denver's 4rth round pick might be a middle of the round pick so it will still be an improvement on where the Patriots wind up drafting with their own pick! BB is the master of draft pick manuavers so with the picks he has at his disposal he can do serious damage if he chooses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from a350227. Show a350227's posts

Keep in mind, we still may get even more ammo if they move Mankins.
    Not saying they should or shouldn't, nor what they could get back, but it's still in play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

The Pat's might have to package some of these picks together and move up. With 10 or more picks in the draft, there will be some that don't make the roster. They should use some of the later picks to move up a few spots in the earlier rounds. The Pat's should be able to fill some needs in free agency, then maybe try to get one of their 3rd round picks into the second round. That would give them 2 1st, 3 2nd, and 1 3rd. Out of these 6 picks they should get at least 4 or 5 impact players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

All of this depends on the new CBA and the rookie wage scale. If it's implemented, Belichick will start taking the best talent available. If not, expect more moves to continue moving down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

nobody thinks they might deal some of these picks and trade for an impact player on defense?  It makes sense to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

True, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion the owners get the rookie cap because there is no logical counter argument from the union.

I would say that is as good as done.

I see him trading up as much as possible and feasting on bad teams with round picks who want to bolster the roster with more picks.

BB can take his 2 3rds and add a 2nd, two 4ths and a 3rd.

It'd be a ridiculous draft on top of 2009 and 2010's.  Of course, most people will complain because they didn't draft the Dez Bryant on the draft. lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Maybe BB Is planning on having a rookie pay scale so he can start moving up and get players that can produce now. You would think that Oakland will be a top 7 Pick & Carolina's pick could be between 32-40. Maybe this is when BB Uses Oaklands pick, Trades his own 1st to move back into the top 10. If their is indeed a rookie salary cap than I can see BB Drafting to good impact type of players in the within the first 15 Picks of the draft.Maybe BB Can pull a rabbit out of his A@@ & get Detroit to give up their 1st round pick for Mankins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Why are so many of you fixated with moving up in the draft? Without knowing the targeted player moving up is useless. I think you guys think because the player is picked earlier in the draft he must be better. Do you want me to name the endless list of first round players who have been busts? I would perfer to trade down to get the player of value and stock pile future assets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

A rookie wage scale would make those top 10 picks incredibly valuable.  I could see BB trading a top 10 pick for a lower first round pick and a first round pick in 2012.  Pats could have a lot of flexibility with the Oakland pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    [QUOTE]Why are so many of you fixated with moving up in the draft? Without knowing the targeted player moving up is useless. I think you guys think because the player is picked earlier in the draft he must be better. Do you want me to name the endless list of first round players who have been busts? I would perfer to trade down to get the player of value and stock pile future assets.
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]
    With about 11 picks next year do you want 4 or 5 of them to get cut before the first game? With free agency, and a lot of young talent, the Pat's don't have room for all those picks. I know the draft is a crap shoot, but the higher you pick, the more chance of success. I would rather have the highest rated defensive tackle in the draft than the 6th rated DT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

It will be tough for even our 8 premium picks to all make the team next year.  We have 13 guys set to be free agents at the end of 2010 listed below.  Of these, I expect and hope we resign the bottom 5 guys on the list leaving room for 8 assuming we don't cut anyone who is signed past 2011.  Stephen Neal and Alge Crumpler could retire which would free up 2 more spots.  I would expect us to be about $30MM under the cap heading into 2011.  It would take about $10MM to sign our draft picks meaning we could target 3-4 premium free agents.  This means we'd only have room for 6 rookies to make the team so we will likely trade 2 of those 8 picks into 2012.

#PlayerPositionSigned thru
    1Matt LightOT2010
    2Fred TaylorRB2010
    3Kevin Faulk (IR)RB2010
    4Jarrod PageSS2010
    5Logan MankinsOG2010
    6Sammy MorrisRB2010
    7Gerard WarrenDT2010
    8Quinn OjinnakaOL2010
    9BenJarvus Green-EllisRB2010
    10Tracy WhiteILB2010
    11Ryan WendellOG2010
    12Kyle ArringtonCB2010
    13Danny WoodheadRB2010

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe BB Is planning on having a rookie pay scale so he can start moving up and get players that can produce now. You would think that Oakland will be a top 7 Pick & Carolina's pick could be between 32-40. Maybe this is when BB Uses Oaklands pick, Trades his own 1st to move back into the top 10. If their is indeed a rookie salary cap than I can see BB Drafting to good impact type of players in the within the first 15 Picks of the draft.Maybe BB Can pull a rabbit out of his A@@ & get Detroit to give up their 1st round pick for Mankins.
    Posted by looneyman[/QUOTE]

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!   I sort of thought this was understood when the whiny pink hats kept complaining about BB's drafts, as he scored high in 2009 and 2010 AND traded back in deeper drafts.

Next year, I would trade UP, to maximize impact since you have so many picks.

2011's draft is good, but I don't think it's as deep as 2010's, so I would trade two 4ths for a 3rd and so on, etc.

The rookie cap makes it all the more sweeter.

You lock up great young talent (say 5 picks in the top 3 rounds), and that makes your budget much easier to read for free agents moving forward.

By 2012, fans won't be bitching up a storm here. All the trolls and irrational, bandwagon fans will be long, long gone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

[QUOTE]We'll trade down a lot and we'll trade a bunch of picks into the future drafts.  That's a fact. 
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

And you were dropped on your head as a child. You also are related to Underoos.

"That's a fact"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In looking at the roster for 2011 we need to add via F/A or the draft the following:  CB, OLB, DE, OT, OG, WR, 2 RBs.  If we address these 8 needs with our 8 premium picks and add 3-4 veteran F/A, we'd be unstoppable for the next few years.

A way-too-early mock could look something like this.  Pick locations are estimates and assumes no trades.

1 (5 from Oak)    WR AJ Green, Georgia, 6-4, 207, 4.49
    1 (22)               OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA, 6-4, 254, 4.68
    2 (34 from CAR)  RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma, 6-0, 214, 4.49
    2 (54)               OT Mike Adams, Ohio State, 6-8, 305, 5.28
    3 (86)               OG Clint Boling, Georgia, 6-5, 310, 5.16
    3 (89 from MIN)  CB Chimdi Chekwa, Ohio State, 6-0, 190, 4.42
    4 (112 from DEN) FB Charles Clay, Tulsa, 6-3, 234, 4.67
    4 (118)              DT Cedric Thorton, S. Arkansas, 6-4, 295, 5.24

I didn't take any Gators so obviously this is all wrong.  Point is we can add a ton of depth and quality and we haven't even talked about who we might get through free agency with our projected $20 MM below the cap to spend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Belichick will trade down with the Oakland pick (as if that's a startling revelation).  The Oakland pick will be a top 8 pick.  He'll move it to a team drafting somewhere in the 15-20 range and pick up an extra 2nd round pick.  Why?  Belichick LOVES 2nd round picks.  They're less expensive and offer a higher risk/reward ratio.  So that now gives the Pats 3 2nd round picks in the 2011 draft, which he'll hit on 1 out of 3.  So instead of Mark Ingram, you should focus your attention on a guy like Evan Royster from Penn State.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Belichick will trade down with the Oakland pick (as if that's a startling revelation).  The Oakland pick will be a top 8 pick.  He'll move it to a team drafting somewhere in the 15-20 range and pick up an extra 2nd round pick.  Why?  Belichick LOVES 2nd round picks.  They're less expensive and offer a higher risk/reward ratio.  So that now gives the Pats 3 2nd round picks in the 2011 draft, which he'll hit on 1 out of 3.  So instead of Mark Ingram, you should focus your attention on a guy like Evan Royster from Penn State.   
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]
    I like Royster too.  I think we need quality more than quantity with this draft.  I hope this is the year we take our lower picks and move up to target a specific player like AJ Green or Patrick Peterson assuming they come out.  If we could land the next Randy Moss or Darelle Revis with that Raider pick we'd be smiling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

[QUOTE]Belichick will trade down with the Oakland pick (as if that's a startling revelation).  The Oakland pick will be a top 8 pick.  He'll move it to a team drafting somewhere in the 15-20 range and pick up an extra 2nd round pick.  Why?  Belichick LOVES 2nd round picks.  They're less expensive and offer a higher risk/reward ratio.  So that now gives the Pats 3 2nd round picks in the 2011 draft, which he'll hit on 1 out of 3.  So instead of Mark Ingram, you should focus your attention on a guy like Evan Royster from Penn State.   
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

Won't be necesasary with a new rookie cap structure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Although Rb does have a need on the team, we need way more at OLB and offensive line specifically a tackle, guys like Castanzo from BC seems more likely than a RB. BB Mo when it comes to RB is pull a guy off the scrap heap. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Normally, I'd be against the Pats drafting a runningback so early in the first round. I think though that Ingram is different. I see him as a special back, one who can do everything a running back is asked to do but do it exceedingly well. Add in the Saban connection and this just seems like the perfect matchup of need, connection, and brilliance. None of the other RBs are close. Daniel Thomas is probably my favorite of the other possibilities. As a second/third round type selection, he plays faster than one would expect for his speed and has a lot of power. Noel Devine as a second rounder certainly couldn't carry the load, but could take 150 to 200 carries and plays so fast, has so much control, vision, and quickness. Ryan Williams as a late first or early second rounder has the speed but just doesn't seem to have the combination of quickness and power I'd like from someone to get past the man that he'll have to beat in the second level. Royster later in the draft is of course someone I like as a Penn State fan, but he's not one who does any particular RB task well. He has good playing speed, power, blocking, and receiving ability but nothing particularly special. He's a good second or third running back for a team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Ingram with the Raiders pick is certainly a possibility.  I would be happy with that if the pick ended up between 6-10.  If it is in the 3-5 range I think we have to make a play now with Moss gone for AJ Green if he declares or Patrick Peterson.  I know Bodden should return healthy and McCourty looks pretty darn good for a rookie.  But we could have the next Revis and shut down one side of the field and use McCourty in the slot and returning kicks.  Freeing up a safety for run support or to double Bodden's guy should help tremendously too.

Sections
Shortcuts