2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : tag, I was just talking to my brother about this.  He runs a draft website.  We were discussing how during the championship years we could run the ball.  We could run out a game with the lead.  We are a cold weather team and since Dillon we haven't had a back that can consistently move the chains.  I like how BJGE is running but he isn't a FB.  We also used to have FBs that could not only lead blcok but catch passes out of the back field.  We had some great ones in the past especially during those championship years.  Guys like Patrick Pass come to mind.  To answer your question, yes.  I like Stanley Havili out of USC in the 2-3 round.  I also like Charles Clay from Tulsa late 3rd, early 4th round.  It does appear we are playing more smash mouth football with Crumpler and Gronkowski in two TE sets with Taylor and now BJGE.  I like it.
    Posted by Faucetman

Absolutley, the football is going to be a bit more smash mouth than it has been of late. I would like a FB for obvious reseason; They need to be respected because a carry is not out of the question, most can catch ball out of the backfield as well. More importantly if we were running 3TE with the Xfactor Hernandez in the Slot we could use one as a personal body guard for Brady.

Moving forward to next year i think my man Faulk will retire, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor will probably retire as well... So we need to sign Woodhead and BJGE to and extension... That would give us a blue collar goal line back BJGE and a third down back... The onlything missing is a FB and a Primetime gamebreaker.

My draft looks like this;

1A- Allen Baily
    1B- Pouncey (replacement for Koppen or Neal)
    2A- Jeremy Beal
    2B-James Brewer (RT) Vollmer replaces Light @ LT
    3A-Daniel Thomas (i think he may drop here 6'2" 225)
    3B-Stan Havili

I hope we retain the following FA
    1Matt LightOT2010 GOES TO THE BENCH
    2Fred TaylorRB2010-RETIRES
    3Kevin Faulk (IR)RB2010 RETIRES
    4Jarrod PageSS2010 SIGN
    5Logan MankinsOG2010 TAG IF YOU CAN A 2ND WOULD BE NICE
    6Sammy MorrisRB2010 RETIRES
    7Gerard WarrenDT2010 SIGN
    8Quinn OjinnakaOL2010
    9BenJarvus Green-EllisRB2010 SIGN
    10Tracy WhiteILB2010 SIGN
    11Ryan WendellOG2010
    12Kyle ArringtonCB2010 SIGN
    13Danny WoodheadRB2010 SIGN

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucetman Do you think that Crumpler and apprentice Gronkowski in two TE sets have contributed greatly to our improved running game. BJGE and Woody are rather slight in build but speedy. I think Crumpler is not spoken about too much in this area. Tennesse rave about the lines he opened up. BB also rates him extremely high. Also don't be surprised to see him catch a few in the red zone.....noone expects it and he didn't get to the Pro Bowl just on his blocking. Like the idea of a bigger, hard nosed RB or FB to contribute in our varied offense
    Posted by sydneypat

Without a doubt Crump and Gronk have helped in the running game.  Crump was brought in precisely because he showed in TEN to be a huge asset there.  I was one of a few that kept harping on taking Gronkowski at #44.  We had to trade up a couple of spots to get him.  Gronkowski to me was the best overall TE in the draft last year.  The concern was his back but he has shown so far that the back is not an issue.  Both TEs have made some highlight tape throwing blocks in the running and passing game.  We haven't really had a solid blocking TE since Daniel Graham left.  We haven't won any championships since then either.

I love our TE play and make-up with Hernandez all over the field and Gronk in the red zone making plays.  With Moss gone I think you will see us morph more into a power team hitting fewer home runs but getting more doubles and singles and picking up first downs and controlling the clock like we used to do a few years ago.  Prior to 2006 if we had the lead in the 4th quarter it was game over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

OK. Five years is a long time. Guess NE won't be counting on him any time soon.

I think Bailey is certainly a slightly better athlete than Heyward. And Heyward never seems to play with a chip on his shoulder.

But he has the length and pedigree that BB look for. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Absolutley, the football is going to be a bit more smash mouth than it has been of late. I would like a FB for obvious reseason; They need to be respected because a carry is not out of the question, most can catch ball out of the backfield as well. More importantly if we were running 3TE with the Xfactor Hernandez in the Slot we could use one as a personal body guard for Brady. Moving forward to next year i think my man Faulk will retire, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor will probably retire as well... So we need to sign Woodhead and BJGE to and extension... That would give us a blue collar goal line back BJGE and a third down back... The onlything missing is a FB and a Primetime gamebreaker. My draft looks like this; 1A- Allen Baily 1B- Pouncey (replacement for Koppen or Neal) 2A- Jeremy Beal 2B-James Brewer (RT) Vollmer replaces Light @ LT 3A-Daniel Thomas (i think he may drop here 6'2" 225) 3B-Stan Havili I hope we retain the following FA 1 Matt Light OT 2010 GOES TO THE BENCH 2 Fred Taylor RB 2010-RETIRES 3 Kevin Faulk (IR) RB 2010 RETIRES 4 Jarrod Page SS 2010 SIGN 5 Logan Mankins OG 2010 TAG IF YOU CAN A 2ND WOULD BE NICE 6 Sammy Morris RB 2010 RETIRES 7 Gerard Warren DT 2010 SIGN 8 Quinn Ojinnaka OL 2010 9 BenJarvus Green-Ellis RB 2010 SIGN 10 Tracy White ILB 2010 SIGN 11 Ryan Wendell OG 2010 12 Kyle Arrington CB 2010 SIGN 13 Danny Woodhead RB 2010 SIGN  
    Posted by tagandtrade

I agree with most of this and like your mock.  I too would love a FB in the 3-4 round range and we talked about a couple of guys.  We need to acquire at least 2 RBs because I too think Faulk, Morris, and Taylor will be gone.  Woodhead certainly looked good in two games as a third down back on draws or coming out of the backfield but he doesn't have the size to be as good a blocker picking up blitzes as Faulk was.  I worry about that.  I think BJGE needs and deserves an extension.  So yes, we need a home run hitter and a bruising FB who can catch.

I'm not as gunho on drafting DL in the first round this year the more I look at this.  We should've done that last year.  The talent pool is thin and the guys who are there don't have the ideal size to play 34 DE.  For me they should be 6-4+ and 305 lbs +.  Bailey and Heyward could add some weight but neither in my mind are worthy of a top 10 pick for our scheme.  We drafted Seymour 6th overall and neither of these guys project to be the next Seymour.  The more I think about it I think we need to go OLB with one of those 1st round picks then either OL or CB with the other.

I have been a HUGE advocate for addressing our OL for a couple of years now.  Some of our guys are getting long in the tooth.  Mankins appears gone and Connolly so far has done a decent job replacing him.  I would like to see Vollmer stay on the right side where he can be more effective in the run game.  Light should be gone and Neal when healthy is still great.  He signed a two year extension but let's face it, his tires have been retreaded twice now.  So, we need a mean and nasty C/OG type and a LT.  Everyone is talking about Mike Pouncey.  I like him but I don't think he's as good as his brother.  BB also has a history of not taking OL in the first round.  He prefers to draft them a little later and coach them up.  Mankins was the lone exception.  Light and Vollmer were both 2nd round picks.  But with two picks in the 1st and a high 2nd, I would be shocked if we didn't take one OL with one of those first 3 picks.

BB almost never goes for skill players in round 1 either.  Maroney was the lone exception.  He prefers to acquire RBs and WRs via trade or F/A where they have an NFL track record.  I don't see him drafting a RB high.  A RB or FB in round 3-4 he might do.  I watched the Georgia Tech game and Anthony Allen looked really good, strong and decisive.  He could be an option in the 3rd.  His teammate FB Lucas Cox looked like a bull dozer but he would be an undrafted type. 

If I was picking today and all the top juniors declared, I might do something like this.

1a WR Julio Jones - Alabama
    1b OLB Akeem Ayers - UCLA
    2a OT Gabe Carimi - Wisconsin
    2b CB Chimdi Chekwa - Ohio State
    3a OG James Wilson - Florida
    3b RB Anthony Allen - Georgia Tech
    4a FB Owen Marecic - Stanford
    4b FS TeJay Johnson - TCU

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Faucet good stuff,

Bailey and Heyward could add some weight but neither in my mind are worthy of a top 10 pick for our scheme. 

Yeah, that is my fundamental concern. They are perfect for most other 34 teams, like SD, Pitt, and GB who routinely carry 290 lb guys on their line. But BB likes his kids big.

Drafting players in order to gain 10lbs is not always the best idea, because you don't know if they can or if they do you don't know how it will affect their overall play. 

At the same time, I feel there is pressure to use that (sure) top five-six pick to grab a big 34 END. They are so hard to come by.

Honestly, though. I don't think Julio Jones is top ten material. I watch him, a lot. He just isn't that safe a bet in the NFL IMO. I think he has a great ceiling as nasty possession WR with a little wiggle. But for NFL competition I doubt his open field skills and ability to get open will ever be elite. They could be elite with development, but they don't seem a safe bet to me. I think it's just as likely NE could grab him at the bottom of the round.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

there will be no trading down if there is a rookie salarie cap. salarie cap happens to be one thing that players union and owners will agree on.
    Posted by seattlepat70

They may agree on any number of things, but until they agree on all of them, it doesn't change anything.  They won't impose a rookie scale independent of a CBA.  There's going to be a process involving a lockout and then maybe some canceled games if not the whole season.  It's highly unlikely to get resolved before the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Are you saying that the rookie cap isn't likely to affect players taken in the 2011 draft?  I was under the impression the rookie cap would be a key component of any new CBA and that this is one of the reasons the Pats were looking to load up in 2011.  If I'm wrong, great.  I hope a lot of juniors come out so we can have a crack at them. 
    Posted by Faucetman

No rookie pay scale until a CBA is signed, which to repeat my previous post, is not very likely to happen until, optimistically, the start of next season.  More likely sometime after the season starts (and people start missing paychecks).  They can't even lock the players out until March, and that's a foregone conclusion.  So there's no way in creation they get a CBA signed before the draft. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet good stuff, Bailey and Heyward could add some weight but neither in my mind are worthy of a top 10 pick for our scheme.  Yeah, that is my fundamental concern. They are perfect for most other 34 teams, like SD, Pitt, and GB who routinely carry 290 lb guys on their line. But BB likes his kids big. Drafting players in order to gain 10lbs is not always the best idea, because you don't know if they can or if they do you don't know how it will affect their overall play.  At the same time, I feel there is pressure to use that (sure) top five-six pick to grab a big 34 END. They are so hard to come by. Honestly, though. I don't think Julio Jones is top ten material. I watch him, a lot. He just isn't that safe a bet in the NFL IMO. I think he has a great ceiling as nasty possession WR with a little wiggle. But for NFL competition I doubt his open field skills and ability to get open will ever be elite. They could be elite with development, but they don't seem a safe bet to me. I think it's just as likely NE could grab him at the bottom of the round.
    Posted by zbellino

Wow, really on Julio?  I watched him yesterday and he was the only who impressed me on Alabama but the whole team was off.  But then again, he was going up against some small corners.  I haven't found the one guy who is a top 10 talent to fall in love with except for Patrick Peterson and I think he'll come off within the first 3 picks.  I think BUF will go with Luck.  Then whoever is picking before us will certainly need a shut down corner.

Who do you like with the Raider's pick Z? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Faucetman, I was thinking this new style of O needs a FB too... Would you draft one higher than the fourth?
    Posted by tagandtrade

I'd love for them to target a FB and was pushing for them to go after the Terminator in the 2010 draft.  With that being said, FB isn't generally considered a premium postion so players are generally available in the later rounds.

One kid I'm extremely high on is Owen Marecic (6-1 244 FB/LB Stanford), here's what I posted about him on another thread:

Talk about a true "Patriot Type", Owen Marecic (6-1 244) the FB/LB (yes he starts on both sides of the ball) from Stanford is one of the toughest players I've seen in a while, a true throwback.  He's a devastating lead blocker and shows suprising instincts at ILB, looks tough against the run and appears to possess good awarness in coverage.  He also just scored on back to back possessions, one on a fullback dive play and then on an INT return.

I'd love to see this kid in Foxboro.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I'd love for them to target a FB and was pushing for them to go after the Terminator in the 2010 draft.  With that being said, FB isn't generally considered a premium postion so players are generally available in the later rounds. One kid I'm extremely high on is Owen Marecic (6-1 244 FB/LB Stanford), here's what I posted about him on another thread: Talk about a true "Patriot Type", Owen Marecic (6-1 244) the FB/LB (yes he starts on both sides of the ball) from Stanford is one of the toughest players I've seen in a while, a true throwback.  He's a devastating lead blocker and shows suprising instincts at ILB, looks tough against the run and appears to possess good awarness in coverage.  He also just scored on back to back possessions, one on a fullback dive play and then on an INT return. I'd love to see this kid in Foxboro.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Hey MB, read back a couple of posts.  I took him with our DEN pick in the 4th round.  Not sure he'll be there, might have to use our MIN pick in the 3rd but I'm with you on this kid.

Who was that FB we had before Patrick Pass during the Bledsoe years?  He was devastating.  We need to go back to playing smash mouth football. The finesse days of Moss are over.  They were fun while they lasted but to win in December and January we need to be able to run the ball.  By doing so we can hopefully extend Brady's career too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Hey MB, read back a couple of posts.  I took him with our DEN pick in the 4th round.  Not sure he'll be there, might have to use our MIN pick in the 3rd but I'm with you on this kid. Who was that FB we had before Patrick Pass during the Bledsoe years?  He was devastating.  We need to go back to playing smash mouth football. The finesse days of Moss are over.  They were fun while they lasted but to win in December and January we need to be able to run the ball.  By doing so we can hopefully extend Brady's career too.
    Posted by Faucetman

My bad man,  I didn't read all of the posts on this thread.

You're probably talking about Marc Edwards?  He was a big part of the offense in 2001 and 2002, versatile player, caught 48 balls out of the backfield over those years.

I do love the assumed move back to their championship roots, smash mouth, spread the ball around to the open receiver style of offense, they had a lot of success with it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think a true FB is almost a wasted roster spot in todays NFL. But carrying 3 backs with different skill sets is the new wave. Of course this would all depend on what they think of BJGE as a 15-20 carry back and if they feel Woodhead is the real deal and can become the quick change of pace draw/receiving back like Faulk was. The way a look at this RB core shaping up next year is:

BJGE - your main back who gets 15-20 carries a game
    Woodhead - smaller 3rd down draw/receiving back who is a nice change of pace
    Bruising back - A larger back who isn't a true FB but is there for short yardage and blocking schemes.

For the bruising back there are a couple names that come to mind right now:

Anthony Allen - Goergia Tech
    Via Taua - Neveda (starting to become my person favorite right now)
    Mikel Lishoure - Illinois (One that Laz clued me into)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sasman. Show sasman's posts

Chances are the new CBA and a rookie wage scale will not be in place before the 2011 draft.  How does that affect the draft?  Will the Pats draft with the assumption of a rookie wage scale being part of the new CBA?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

One player that no one is talking about who could be an option is Robert Quinn from UNC.  I know he is suspended, but he is an athletic freak built exactly like Brian Orakpo, who I loved coming out, and DeMarcus Ware. If NE is looking for a kid who can rush the passer, look no further. 

Although character definitely becomes an issue with this one, and uncertainty about whether he will come out or not based on missing this season. 

Does anyone know when his suspension is going to end? I know it was for lesser crimes -- talking to an agent -- than Austin, who cheated by having a tutor take tests for him. I think Quinn's brain-tumor recovery and consistent good behavior/leadership outweigh this one in some respects. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think a true FB is almost a wasted roster spot in todays NFL. But carrying 3 backs with different skill sets is the new wave. Of course this would all depend on what they think of BJGE as a 15-20 carry back and if they feel Woodhead is the real deal and can become the quick change of pace draw/receiving back like Faulk was. The way a look at this RB core shaping up next year is: BJGE - your main back who gets 15-20 carries a game Woodhead - smaller 3rd down draw/receiving back who is a nice change of pace Bruising back - A larger back who isn't a true FB but is there for short yardage and blocking schemes. For the bruising back there are a couple names that come to mind right now: Anthony Allen - Goergia Tech Via Taua - Neveda (starting to become my person favorite right now) Mikel Lishoure - Illinois (One that Laz clued me into)
    Posted by PatsEng

I think it's all dependant on the offensive scheme that you run, a team that likes to go 5 wide, operate primarily out of the spread and/or shotgun probably doesn't see the value in one while a team that likes to establish and create off a power running game would.  Ladainian Tomlinson for example will go down as one of the best backs in NFL history and thats largely due to his skill set as well as Lorenzo Neal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

One player that no one is talking about who could be an option is Robert Quinn from UNC.  I know he is suspended, but he is an athletic freak built exactly like Brian Orakpo, who I loved coming out, and DeMarcus Ware. If NE is looking for a kid who can rush the passer, look no further.  Although character definitely becomes an issue with this one, and uncertainty about whether he will come out or not based on missing this season.  Does anyone know when his suspension is going to end? I know it was for lesser crimes -- talking to an agent -- than Austin, who cheated by having a tutor take tests for him. I think Quinn's brain-tumor recovery and consistent good behavior/leadership outweigh this one in some respects. 
    Posted by zbellino

This was actually a topic of debate on the other draft thread, Peterson vs. Quinn who do you take with Oakland's pick if both are available.  I think both are clear top 10 talents at this point.

I know you're an LSU guy and assume you'd lean towards Peterson as well, he's my choice between the two because of his potential to take away half of the field defensively while also providing value on special teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I think it's all dependant on the offensive scheme that you run, a team that likes to go 5 wide, operate primarily out of the spread and/or shotgun probably doesn't see the value in one while a team that likes to establish and create off a power running game would.  Ladainian Tomlinson for example will go down as one of the best backs in NFL history and thats largely due to his skill set as well as Lorenzo Neal.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Well the reason I say this is because the league is becoming a pass first QB league. You're not going to see a lot of power I formations on 1st and 2nd down anymore. At least not the way that they were used in the past. Having that large Bruising back allows you to setup in that formation as the FB role from time to time but it might be hard to justify that pure FB on rosters built for depth unless you have a Lorenzo Neal, who could arguable be the best FB of all time

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

I am impressed with the WR talent in college football.  Lot of 6'4" fast and productive guys.  They were on display yesterday, Julio Jones vs. Alshon Jeffrey, LSU's Toliver carrying Florida DB 10 yrds into end zone and catching game winner on nice fade route, Freshman Woods from USC racking up 220 yds.   

I'd like to see Pats get one of these big WR in 2011 draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I am impressed with the WR talent in college football.  Lot of 6'4" fast and productive guys.  They were on display yesterday, Julio Jones vs. Alshon Jeffrey, LSU's Toliver carrying Florida DB 10 yrds into end zone and catching game winner on nice fade route, Freshman Woods from USC racking up 220 yds.    I'd like to see Pats get one of these big WR in 2011 draft.
    Posted by BSII

Keep in mind that BB generally targets WR's that are fast, have good short area quickness in and out of breaks and move well laterally.  That generally translates into "smaller" receivers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

MB,

Ask anyone here, I give the straight dope on LSU players. I didn't talk up Dorsey, and even said he would be a poor fit here. I won't talk up Drake Nevis this season, as he has a ton of questions despite being the flat out most dominant tackle in the NCAA. 

I will talk up Peterson, because the kid is all-world. 

If I leaned toward Peterson it would be because he is a team leader and all-world talent. CBs of his caliber are extremely, extremely rare coming out. Who was the last? Champ? Woodson?

Whereas, every other season there is a guy like Quinn, it is just rare you have a selection in that range -- lol, I was truly upset NE couldn't stab at Orakpo, lol.

However, given Bodden and McCourty are here for a few, and NE needs more youth at OLB, I might be forced to side with Quinn, noting that Peterson is a rarer talent. 

That is, of course, completely overlooking the fact that Quinn has a.) missed a season, and b.) done so because of disciplinary reasons. That casts shadows on his character and hinders his development in the eyes of scouts ... especially scouts that value experience (see: NE Pats scouts who love experience).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I agree with most of this and like your mock.  I too would love a FB in the 3-4 round range and we talked about a couple of guys.  We need to acquire at least 2 RBs because I too think Faulk, Morris, and Taylor will be gone.  Woodhead certainly looked good in two games as a third down back on draws or coming out of the backfield but he doesn't have the size to be as good a blocker picking up blitzes as Faulk was.  I worry about that.  I think BJGE needs and deserves an extension.  So yes, we need a home run hitter and a bruising FB who can catch. I'm not as gunho on drafting DL in the first round this year the more I look at this.  We should've done that last year.  The talent pool is thin and the guys who are there don't have the ideal size to play 34 DE.  For me they should be 6-4+ and 305 lbs +.  Bailey and Heyward could add some weight but neither in my mind are worthy of a top 10 pick for our scheme.  We drafted Seymour 6th overall and neither of these guys project to be the next Seymour.  The more I think about it I think we need to go OLB with one of those 1st round picks then either OL or CB with the other. I have been a HUGE advocate for addressing our OL for a couple of years now.  Some of our guys are getting long in the tooth.  Mankins appears gone and Connolly so far has done a decent job replacing him.  I would like to see Vollmer stay on the right side where he can be more effective in the run game.  Light should be gone and Neal when healthy is still great.  He signed a two year extension but let's face it, his tires have been retreaded twice now.  So, we need a mean and nasty C/OG type and a LT.  Everyone is talking about Mike Pouncey.  I like him but I don't think he's as good as his brother.  BB also has a history of not taking OL in the first round.  He prefers to draft them a little later and coach them up.  Mankins was the lone exception.  Light and Vollmer were both 2nd round picks.  But with two picks in the 1st and a high 2nd, I would be shocked if we didn't take one OL with one of those first 3 picks. BB almost never goes for skill players in round 1 either.  Maroney was the lone exception.  He prefers to acquire RBs and WRs via trade or F/A where they have an NFL track record.  I don't see him drafting a RB high.  A RB or FB in round 3-4 he might do.  I watched the Georgia Tech game and Anthony Allen looked really good, strong and decisive.  He could be an option in the 3rd.  His teammate FB Lucas Cox looked like a bull dozer but he would be an undrafted type.  If I was picking today and all the top juniors declared, I might do something like this. 1a WR Julio Jones - Alabama 1b OLB Akeem Ayers - UCLA 2a OT Gabe Carimi - Wisconsin 2b CB Chimdi Chekwa - Ohio State 3a OG James Wilson - Florida 3b RB Anthony Allen - Georgia Tech 4a FB Owen Marecic - Stanford 4b FS TeJay Johnson - TCU
    Posted by Faucetman

If these picks are worth as much as they say they are we could jump out of the top 10 and acquire multiple picks. I'm not against beefing up the OL in this draft... a 3/4 DE is not a huge need but if Bailey is the best available they may draft him if they cannot move the pick. I would be comfortable with Brace, Wilfork and Ty Warren can create some continuity on the line for the next 3 years. After 2013 Warren will fade away but Brace and Fork will still be around.

I find it funny that fans say BB built this D from the trentches out???? Did he really? Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinest were all hear allready.... Maybe he would built it on LB's if he HAD too.

Big charater guy that i would love to see on this team is Herzlich... I do not know where he is going to fall but i would take Akeem Ayers and Herlick in the right spot @ the right time.

Not too mention Deadrick and Pryor are pretty darn good in this system and they are late picks.

Another wrinkle we may have to consider is Meariwhethers play and his attitude, if it does not improve we will need a FS earlier than we thought.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

MB, Ask anyone here, I give the straight dope on LSU players. I didn't talk up Dorsey, and even said he would be a poor fit here. I won't talk up Drake Nevis this season, as he has a ton of questions despite being the flat out most dominant tackle in the NCAA.  I will talk up Peterson, because the kid is all-world.  If I leaned toward Peterson it would be because he is a team leader and all-world talent. CBs of his caliber are extremely, extremely rare coming out. Who was the last? Champ? Woodson? Whereas, every other season there is a guy like Quinn, it is just rare you have a selection in that range -- lol, I was truly upset NE couldn't stab at Orakpo, lol. However, given Bodden and McCourty are here for a few, and NE needs more youth at OLB, I might be forced to side with Quinn, noting that Peterson is a rarer talent.  That is, of course, completely overlooking the fact that Quinn has a.) missed a season, and b.) done so because of disciplinary reasons. That casts shadows on his character and hinders his development in the eyes of scouts ... especially scouts that value experience (see: NE Pats scouts who love experience).
    Posted by zbellino

Well Peterson is without a doubt a rare talent but you're right with Bodden and McCourty right now there is no room for him. Bodden is a top 10 cb imo and McCourty will be or better too. As much as I'd love to have Peterson he's a luxury (can't believe I said that). I do think if we have a top 5 pick you have to go DL. Sure DL are a dime a dozen with one huge exception top 5 DL's in the draft. You can go down the line and you'd be hard pressed to find one that really missed and didn't make a huge impact for their team.

I feel all this team really needs is a big DE that can put pressure (notice I said pressure not rush) and set the edge on runs, a rush OLB that knows where he needs to be opposite Cunningham and can do a decent job covering in the box, and a couple OLman that don't need to make an immediate impact but can take over for Neal, Koppen, and/or Light within the next couple years

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : My bad man,  I didn't read all of the posts on this thread. You're probably talking about Marc Edwards?  He was a big part of the offense in 2001 and 2002, versatile player, caught 48 balls out of the backfield over those years. I do love the assumed move back to their championship roots, smash mouth, spread the ball around to the open receiver style of offense, they had a lot of success with it. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Sam Gash!!!  That's who I meant.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Chances are the new CBA and a rookie wage scale will not be in place before the 2011 draft.  How does that affect the draft?  Will the Pats draft with the assumption of a rookie wage scale being part of the new CBA?
    Posted by sasman

I don't think it matters if the CBA is in place by draft day.  Usually teams don't start signing players until mini camps or after.  If it looks like there will be a rookie cap, I bet all teams will hold off on rookie contracts waiting to see or perhaps the contract would be voided if signed before the CBA and it violates it.  Or, if the team is dumb enough to award a big rookie contract before the CBA, it's their tough problem.  Not sure though, just guessing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by sasman

I don't think it matters if the CBA is in place by draft day.  Usually teams don't start signing players until mini camps or after.  If it looks like there will be a rookie cap, I bet all teams will hold off on rookie contracts waiting to see or perhaps the contract would be voided if signed before the CBA and it violates it.  Or, if the team is dumb enough to award a big rookie contract before the CBA, it's their tough problem.  Not sure though, just guessing.

Sections
Shortcuts