Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

Faucet I think you are very close to where the Pats will pick so will used those for my first mock. 

1-12   S DeAndre McDaniel 6'1" 210 reserve the right to change if he has not changed his character.  can play FS or SS, speed to play back and tough to come in the box.
    1-25   DE/OLB Ryan Kerrigan 6'4" 263
    2-33   DE Christian Ballard 6'4" 298
    2-57   OT Demarcus Love OT 6'5" 315 (plays everything but center)
    3-89   WR Leonard Hankerson 6'3" 215
    3-91   CB Cortez Allen 6'1" 190
    4-110  OL James Carpenter 6'5" 300
    4-125  RB/FB Allan Bradford 5'11" 235

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:

It's really early but Ayers at 12? He'll most likely be a late teen to late 20 area if the college game stopped today. If we can't get one of the top 3 DL with Oak's pick then WR might be the next best option or if something weird should happen and Peterson falls to the Oak's pick I'd rather take the BPA Peterson then reach that high on a pure OLB in college for a 34 system. However if they can get a good trading partner to drop back to the late teen early 20's region get another pick out of it (dropping that far would most likely net a 3rd and maybe a 2nd next year) Ayers would be worth a shot. But I wouldn't take him any higher then 18 if you can get some more picks and still get him.
    Posted by PatsEng

Peterson would be my first choice in the draft.  I just don't see how he'll be in range for us.  He's a top 3 pick IMO.  You have to figure BUF will take Luck, CAR will likely go DE then Peterson should come off the board.  As it stands now we'd have to move up 8 spots or so to get him which would cost us both 1sts.

Ayers being a junior is still raw.  I can see him only getting better with NFL coaching.  But like you say, it is WAY to early to slot him especially when we don't even know if he will declare.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If a major offensive player is available (Ingram, Mallet, Green) I could see Belichick trading down if someone like Peterson or any major defensive player is off the board. I like Hankerson and Kerrigan as picks, just not in the 1st round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Zbellino, I'm glad to see you've gotten on the Nick Fairley bandwagon. I mentioned him a couple pages ago, but I don't think I've been very visible this year in the draft conversation. Too busy on other boards, I suppose.

Right now, my choices are contingent on underclassmen declaring for the draft, but here goes:

1a) Nick Fairly
    1b) Aldon Smith
    2a) Michael Floyd
    2b) Marcus Gilbert
    3a) Traded forward for a 2012 2nd
    3b) Kenrick Ellis
    4a)
    Allen Bradford
    4b) Chad Schofield

Or, at least, something like that. I'm sure we'll see more trades than that.

Aldon Smith and Robert Quinn look just about perfect for us when it comes to production, metrics, and mindset. They could be fantastic bookends to Cunningham, who looks like he'll be a good player for us. I'd be happy with either, but Smith looks quicker and more comfortable in space.

Fairley is definitely my number one target, though. He's Suh-like, a mini-Haynesworth, a Seymour redux. And many other hyperbolic accolades, etc. He's the real deal.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

One player that no one is talking about who could be an option is Robert Quinn from UNC.  I know he is suspended, but he is an athletic freak built exactly like Brian Orakpo, who I loved coming out, and DeMarcus Ware. If NE is looking for a kid who can rush the passer, look no further.  Although character definitely becomes an issue with this one, and uncertainty about whether he will come out or not based on missing this season.  Does anyone know when his suspension is going to end? I know it was for lesser crimes -- talking to an agent -- than Austin, who cheated by having a tutor take tests for him. I think Quinn's brain-tumor recovery and consistent good behavior/leadership outweigh this one in some respects. 
    Posted by zbellino

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Austin-Little-and-Quinn-all-done-at-UNC.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thanks MB. Way to stay on top of the news. I think this does hurt Quinn and Austin. I know it shouldn't matter. One more year of experience could have been huge. But they are rightly punished. I would love to see these Universities go after these agents who tamper with their players. I think that would dramatically decrease the incidence of this kind of thing. Be that as  it may, I think Quinn is not going to have the top five status. This raises serious questions about whether he is looking for short  cuts or was just a dumb 19 year old who made a mistake. 
    Posted by zbellino

Welcome, ZB.

I agree, agents and their runners should face stiff penalty if they are linked two and found guilty of providing illegal benefits to players/potential clients.  I've also heard it suggested that an NFL team that drafts said player/deals with said agent should be penalized as well, which I think makes some sense.  If a player knows his chances of getting drafted will be significantly decreased based on his actions, I think you'd see a reduction in this type of activity.  Though, there are still players that test positive for marijuana at the combine meaning there are still plenty of moron's still roaming the college campuses of America.

As for Quinn, I think his stock takes a hit, but not a significant one.  I still think he's likely to come off the board in Rd 1 and with good workouts the top 10-15.  It does raise huge questions about his ability to make smart decisions though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Something else to take into account is the potential lockout.. if there is one look for teams to do less manuvering down but more out... for example wouldn't suprise me if Patriots moved most of their first 3 round picks to 2012... players drafted in 2011 will see a drop off in production value with a year lay off even more then a vet. Also look to see some go to other leagues.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Also, I don't think Oakland will be that good. Buf Car SF Cle Det After that, who is markedly worse than the Raiders? You could argue a race to the bottom between them and Denver? Tampa Bay might have a worse record based on tougher competition. Seattle could always stink. And St Louis, well they will win some games just based on how terrible their division is... Even given that as a worse case scenario .... BUF CAR SF CLE DET -- /> (OAK) STL TB SEA DEN --> (OAK) I still see Oakland falling somewhere between #6 and #10. Exactly what I thought coming into the season. I think that will be good enough to take a crack at Quinn, even though he has all sorts of red flags by New England's standards. However, like I said from the get go .. if Peterson declares, it is outside looking in .... Between 6-10 I see the best options as people like Kerrigan, Bailey, Akamura, Green, Clayborn (possibly). 
    Posted by zbellino

If MIN and DAL don't get their act together soon, they could possible finish poorly.  Dallas plays in a tough division and would appear to be the weakest team there.  MIN has a tough schedule ahead too.  It will be the Battle of the Disappointments next week as they host Dallas.  After that MIN has GB, twice, NE, CHI twice, PHI, WAS, and NYG.  ARI just beat the SB Champs so they aren't a given.  The only cream puff games are against DET and BUF.  If Favre doesn't get his act together we could be looking at a low 70s pick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Is it just me .... or does this seem like the worst OL draft in a decade? I mean, I keep thinking the old top-ten fallback is an offensive lineman...but I can't really think of a single blue chip talent.  I can't even think of a player I would be comfortable going top fifteen for....
    Posted by zbellino

CBS/NFL Draft Scout lists 6 OTs in their top 32 and all are seniors.  They also list 2 OGs in Pouncey and Hudson and 1 Center in their top 32.  But I do think you are right in that there isn't any top 10 talents, no Jake Longs in this draft.  The depth in the draft appears to be at CB, especially if you include juniors. I count 9 CBs that are potentially 1-2 round picks.

If you want to talk about thin, how about WR?  If Green and Jones don't come out you don't have any first round WRs available.  Maybe this was also a reason we went out and got Branch, who incidently is signed through 2011.

There also seems to be some decent depth at OLB this year which is good for us. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Thanks for your input Faucet. Yeah I have five in my top 40. None above 15, most of them in and around the second/first bend. I guess that means good value but no world beaters.
    Posted by zbellino

That's probably best given our history.  Other than Mankins (pick 32), we haven't draft OL in the first round.  The only 2nd round OLs taken in the BB era were Vollmer (58) and Light (48), both tackles.  We took Kaczur in the 3rd (100).  Koppen was a 5th round pick.  Neal was undrafted.  Wendell was undrafted.  Connolly was undrafted.  LaVoir was undrafted.  Keep in mind Mankins played OT his entire college career.

So, if history is a lesson, BB will spend a high pick (1-3 round pick) on an OT but not for the interior line.  So, we can expect to draft an OT somewhere in the first 3 rounds but not a C/OG type until round 5 if at all.  As you say, the sweet spot appears to be the end of round 1, early round 2.  The CAR pick should be high, 33 to 36 but my bet is we'd use our own 2nd on a tackle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Further to our discussion of OL, BB seems to like tall, yet lanky OTs,  Light and Kaczur are 6-4 and Vollmer is 6-7, all weigh between 305 and 315.  Actually, 6-4 would be considered short for OT these days.  If we look at who fits this profile from size prospective there are a ton of OTs slotted between picks 15 and 100.  These are some of the names in no particular order:

Mike Adams
    Anthony Castonzo
    Derek Sherrod
    DeMarcus Love
    Nate Solder
    Jason Pinkston
    James Carpenter
    Gabe Carimi
    Lee Ziemba
    Clint Boling

If I had to bet we will draft one of these guys either in the 2nd or 3rd round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Further to our discussion of OL, BB seems to like tall, yet lanky OTs,  Light and Kaczur are 6-4 and Vollmer is 6-7, all weigh between 305 and 315.  Actually, 6-4 would be considered short for OT these days.  If we look at who fits this profile from size prospective there are a ton of OTs slotted between picks 15 and 100.  These are some of the names in no particular order: Mike Adams Anthony Castonzo Derek Sherrod DeMarcus Love Nate Solder Jason Pinkston James Carpenter Gabe Carimi Lee Ziemba Clint Boling If I had to bet we will draft one of these guys either in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    Posted by Faucetman

Good stuff Faucet,  I really like Gabe Carimi.  Saw a Wisconsin game and he looks the part.  Better run blocker than pass protector but IMO has the tools.  Another is Nate Solder 6'9" 305 fits that tall lean mold.

Although with a more balanced attack do you think they go after a bit heavier guys who would create more of a push at the POA?  This o is shapping up to be a TE, RB short/intermidiate passing attack as I see it.  

What do you think of a guy like James Brewer 6'6" 334, likely a late 2nd or early 3rd and would be a run blocker above a pass rusher.  Has RT written all over him or RG. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Good stuff Faucet,  I really like Gabe Carimi.  Saw a Wisconsin game and he looks the part.  Better run blocker than pass protector but IMO has the tools.  Another is Nate Solder 6'9" 305 fits that tall lean mold. Although with a more balanced attack do you think they go after a bit heavier guys who would create more of a push at the POA?  This o is shapping up to be a TE, RB short/intermidiate passing attack as I see it.   What do you think of a guy like James Brewer 6'6" 334, likely a late 2nd or early 3rd and would be a run blocker above a pass rusher.  Has RT written all over him or RG. 
    Posted by Pats7393

I like Gabe Carimi too.  As for Brewer, I don't think he's a player we'd target.  BB prefers a more nimble speedy line, guys that can get to the second level, who can pull and get out on a screen.  Brewer is too big and slow, listed at 5.36 speed.  Nate Solder is a guy I really like AND I think he fits the BB mold for a OT.  He's 6-8, 315, 4.89.  He earned first team all Big 12 last year with Okung and Trent Williams in the conference.  He's been a starter for over 30 games.  I think we book end him, or someone like him, with Vollmer and we have two giants with long reaches on the ends.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I like Gabe Carimi too.  As for Brewer, I don't think he's a player we'd target.  BB prefers a more nimble speedy line, guys that can get to the second level, who can pull and get out on a screen.  Brewer is too big and slow, listed at 5.36 speed.  Nate Solder is a guy I really like AND I think he fits the BB mold for a OT.  He's 6-8, 315, 4.89.  He earned first team all Big 12 last year with Okung and Trent Williams in the conference.  He's been a starter for over 30 games.  I think we book end him, or someone like him, with Vollmer and we have two giants with long reaches on the ends.
    Posted by Faucetman

Solder could end as a Patriot, if he's a highly valued draftee they have the picks to move to get him, as the offseaon workouts begin he might command to be selected with the Raiders pick but I don't think that will happen.  6'9" 300+ runs under 5 40.  He's got the speed of big TEs in a OL's body.  He's a converted TE if I'm not mistaken, he really fits that mold of mobile OL and could even line up as an eligible receiver on redzone plays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Solder could end as a Patriot, if he's a highly valued draftee they have the picks to move to get him, as the offseaon workouts begin he might command to be selected with the Raiders pick but I don't think that will happen.  6'9" 300+ runs under 5 40.  He's got the speed of big TEs in a OL's body.  He's a converted TE if I'm not mistaken, he really fits that mold of mobile OL and could even line up as an eligible receiver on redzone plays.
    Posted by Pats7393

There usually is a premium on OTs.  I'm not sure Solder is a top 10 pick yet.  For some reason it usually takes awhile for evaluations on OL types to get going.  Can you imagine a pair of 6-8, 6-9 types anchoring the edge?  You're right about Solder too, he has played a little TE in the past.  I'm not sure we'd need to use him for tackel eligible plays when we already have 6-7 Gronk who is paid be that guy.  A little trickery once in awhile I guess is always in order.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Anyone seen any Florida State games?  Looking for info on Markus White DE 6'4" 260 reporterly runs a sub 4.7 40.  Right now a later round prospect, don't know much about him but want to keep an eye out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : There usually is a premium on OTs.  I'm not sure Solder is a top 10 pick yet.  For some reason it usually takes awhile for evaluations on OL types to get going.  Can you imagine a pair of 6-8, 6-9 types anchoring the edge?  You're right about Solder too, he has played a little TE in the past.  I'm not sure we'd need to use him for tackel eligible plays when we already have 6-7 Gronk who is paid be that guy.  A little trickery once in awhile I guess is always in order.
    Posted by Faucetman

Yeah was thinking some trickery never hurts but was more about having that athleticism on the line would be excellent. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : There usually is a premium on OTs.  I'm not sure Solder is a top 10 pick yet.  For some reason it usually takes awhile for evaluations on OL types to get going.  Can you imagine a pair of 6-8, 6-9 types anchoring the edge?  You're right about Solder too, he has played a little TE in the past.  I'm not sure we'd need to use him for tackel eligible plays when we already have 6-7 Gronk who is paid be that guy.  A little trickery once in awhile I guess is always in order.
    Posted by Faucetman

I have been calling for soldier for weeks now. He has experience as a TE.  Positives: Extremely athletic... Good agility... Good length and long arms... Excellent speed, quick feet... Good pass blocker... Flashes the ability to play with good knee bend... Good lateral movement and slide... Good run blocker... Carries his pads well... Solid strength... Can coil up and generate reasonably good power... Does a good job staying on his blocks... Uses his hands well... Can get to the second level... Good flexibility... Breaks down well and does a nice job blocking on the move... More of a wall-off blocker than a mover... Hard worker.
    reminds me alot of vollmer in speed, athleticism and size.  He is definiately moving up boards though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Anyone seen any Florida State games?  Looking for info on Markus White DE 6'4" 260 reporterly runs a sub 4.7 40.  Right now a later round prospect, don't know much about him but want to keep an eye out.
    Posted by Pats7393

Haven't heard but he sure has the size/speed you want in a conversion guy.

I've been hearing some positive things about Audie Cole of NC State too.  He's a junior but has good measureables, 6-5, 240, 4.75.  I haven't seen him play.  Anyone got a scouting report on him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I have been calling for soldier for weeks now. He has experience as a TE.  Positives: Extremely athletic... Good agility... Good length and long arms... Excellent speed, quick feet... Good pass blocker... Flashes the ability to play with good knee bend... Good lateral movement and slide... Good run blocker... Carries his pads well... Solid strength... Can coil up and generate reasonably good power... Does a good job staying on his blocks... Uses his hands well... Can get to the second level... Good flexibility... Breaks down well and does a nice job blocking on the move... More of a wall-off blocker than a mover... Hard worker. reminds me alot of vollmer in speed, athleticism and size.  He is definiately moving up boards though.
    Posted by natesubs

Hi Nate,

Missed your call on him, he looks like a prototypical OT.  This is what I'm thinking on an OT, Voll is almost a lock at move to LT right?  I don't see BB spending a 1st rounder on a RT and if he keeps playing well and does well as expected in offseason workouts he will probably be a top 20 pick because of the lack of elite OTs in this draft.

RTs are 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Guy in that area I like is Gabe Carimi 6'7" 322.

Pass blocking: Has the elite agility and nimble feet to protect the quarterback's blindside. Very difficult to turn the corner against because of his lateral movement and solid footwork. Also protects the inside lane well. Delivers a strong hand punch capable of knocking back an opponent, and is able to recoil and extend again. Uses his length to block his man with one hand and knock an edge blitzer off his path with the other. Quick to cut on bubble screens and reverses, though he could get more of his man's legs to be truly effective. Bends at the waist while engaged; usually holds on to prevent secondary rush but will also end up on the ground too often.

Run blocking: Known as an athletic pass protector, but is a strong blocker for the Badger run game. Has strong upper and lower body builds despite his height. Plays with leverage against stout defensive ends and tackles on the edge, can get under their pads and churn his legs to move them down or off the line. Effective combo blocker, gets a hand on a tackle and still manages to push ends out of the play on strong-side runs. Leans or bends at the waist to latch on at times, will get shed and lose his balance.

Pulling/trapping: Usually not asked to pull or trap from the outside, but down-blocks often and has the quickness and footwork to move behind the line. Gets his quick hands out in front to get a piece of inside defenders before moving to the MIKE linebacker. Can sustain blocks in space because of his length and nimble feet.

Initial Quickness: Elite first step in his kick slide and lateral movement, does not get beat off the edge very often. Also explodes off the ball on run plays, is capable of driving his man back a few yards. Defenders will take advantage of the quickness to take him upfield or knock him off balance, however.

Downfield: Excellent footwork and agility to get downfield. Reaches linebackers at the second level and defensive backs further downfield equally well. Knows the proper angle to cut off defenders from the ballcarrier. Good lateral movement once engaged, gives effort to sustain against smaller defenders. Tends to bend at the waist and punch instead of moving after initial contact.

Intangibles: Solid player with strong work ethic, as well as football and general intelligence. Received multiple Academic All-American and All-Big Ten awards. Missed three games in 2008 with right MCL sprain, but played through maladies in 2009: slight tear in right MCL scarring, left AC joint (shoulder) sprain, H1N1 virus. Fasted for 24 hours before 2008 game against Iowa in observance of Yom Kippur.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Welcome, ZB. I agree, agents and their runners should face stiff penalty if they are linked two and found guilty of providing illegal benefits to players/potential clients.  I've also heard it suggested that an NFL team that drafts said player/deals with said agent should be penalized as well, which I think makes some sense.  If a player knows his chances of getting drafted will be significantly decreased based on his actions, I think you'd see a reduction in this type of activity.  Though, there are still players that test positive for marijuana at the combine meaning there are still plenty of moron's still roaming the college campuses of America. As for Quinn, I think his stock takes a hit, but not a significant one.  I still think he's likely to come off the board in Rd 1 and with good workouts the top 10-15.  It does raise huge questions about his ability to make smart decisions though.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Agree. Agents should be held accountable on stuff like this.

if Quinn is done for the year, can he still participate at the Combine? Does this preclude him from an invitation? 
    I think his stock falls a bit (assuming he declares), but not a free fall. Regardless of what he did in terms of accepting gifts, I'm still going to target him round 1, especially if he could be had somewhere in the 12-19 range. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Agree. Agents should be held accountable on stuff like this. if Quinn is done for the year, can he still participate at the Combine? Does this preclude him from an invitation?  I think his stock falls a bit (assuming he declares), but not a free fall. Regardless of what he did in terms of accepting gifts, I'm still going to target him round 1, especially if he could be had somewhere in the 12-19 range. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

IF! he's able to work out at the combine he will still be a top 10, talent overcomes most mistakes.  I imagine he will be ready to put up some good numbers at the combine, he'll have 6 months.  If he can't and all he can do is have a "pro day" at a gym somewhere then that might drop him a bit but don't think he gets out too far out of the top 10.

Still think he won't be available for the Pats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know the deals the Jets have in place for some of their new acquisitions this year...

Calvin Pace, LaDainian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor....

I believe it's varied, but I would be interested in the boards opinion on which major contributors will be there next year, etc.

I know they are trying to win now as Tomlinson and Taylor will probably be gone next year, but not sure about the other guys. Also curious about David Harris...

Trying to compare our draft haul to what they can keep....understanding the CBA can impact all of it...

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : IF! he's able to work out at the combine he will still be a top 10, talent overcomes most mistakes.  I imagine he will be ready to put up some good numbers at the combine, he'll have 6 months.  If he can't and all he can do is have a "pro day" at a gym somewhere then that might drop him a bit but don't think he gets out too far out of the top 10. Still think he won't be available for the Pats.
    Posted by Pats7393

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If Quinn falls to the 8-12 region you almost have to take him. I originally thought he wouldn't fall past Buf but if he does for this reason we could get the best rusher coming out of the draft.

Normally I don't think BB takes rushers this high in the draft but he has the size and speed BB loves not to mention he can be a DE/OLB tweener like Cunningham. Having 2 OLB's that can put their hands down would add flexibility to the Dline and the LB core as a whole.

Sections
Shortcuts