2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

Why do we want peterson he is good but im tired of investing top picks on cbs.
    Also we SHOULD NOT draft pouncey he cant shotgun snap for his life and his brother is struggling for the steelers
     Id love
    1st-Aj Green
    1st= Robert Quinn or Von Miller
    2nd- Jared Crick
    2nd. Gabe Cameri
    3rd-K State rb
    3rd- John Moffit
    4th-James Rodgers or the stanford FB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Yeah i had solder on my wish list when he was a projected 2-3 round pick. Gabe Carimi sounds pretty good as well. when is he porjected to be taken?
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

most places has him as a 2nd rounder, seen some into the 3rd.  With OL and it is true for all possitions but OL can change almost week to week.  You can have a guy who looks great for 5 weeks then faces a pro type DE/DTs and gets burned and that game will be reviewed more than others with lower level competition.  Right now there are probably 10 guys who are going to continue to move up and down in the first 3 rounds

Sherrod 6'5" 305 Miss. State Top 20?
    Castonzo 6'7" 308 BC Top 20?
    Solder 6'8" 315 Colorado 22-35?
    Love 6'5" 315 Arkansas 22-35?
    Pinkston 6'4" 308 Pitt 2nd Rnd
    Cannon 6'5" 358 TCU 2nd Rnd
    Carimi 6'7" 322 Wis 2nd Rnd
    Brewer 6'6" 334 Indiana 2nd Rnd
    Gilbert 6'5" 320 Florida late 2nd/early 3rd
    Carpernter 6'5" 300 Alabama 3rd

I think 3 of these guys will go round 1, and the other will be in round 2.  Also think there will be a run of OTs in the 2nd.  There's a big drop once you get into later rounds so I can see 4 or 5 OTs in the 2nd maybe even some reaching happening.

I would pick Solder with the 2nd of the 1st rnd picks although if he does as well as expected in combine and workouts he probably breaks the top 20.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Why do we want peterson he is good but im tired of investing top picks on cbs. Also we SHOULD NOT draft pouncey he cant shotgun snap for his life and his brother is struggling for the steelers  Id love 1st-Aj Green 1st= Robert Quinn or Von Miller 2nd- Jared Crick 2nd. Gabe Cameri 3rd-K State rb 3rd- John Moffit 4th-James Rodgers or the stanford FB
    Posted by Bspikes55[/QUOTE]

I don't think Peterson will be available anywhere close to the Pats 1st pick but if he is he's the pick. 
    BB on McCourty

"I think Devin's ability to help the team on four downs, it's hard for me to picture a player who can do more than that. There aren't many players who can really impact the game on first, second, third and fourth downs. I think he can be a player that can contribute in all four of those areas, and I think that gives him a lot of versatility and a lot of value."

If he's there he'll be the pick but chances of he getting out of the top 5 is 0, he would need to have a terrible rest of the year and I don't see that happening or have an injury which will keep him out of 2011 other than he's locked right now.

A WR won't be picked that high, Faucet I believe has a great breakdown of WR and RB draft history.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

B.B. should draft best available, even a top rated Q.B. dink and dunk is set up by play action passes and without a feared RB there's no hesitation by the D. we need a an olineman and a running back. 
        I like the branch pick up, we went from randy the businessman to deion the people champ. ask him how his pay day turned out?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

A QB? that is a total waste of a pick.  He will be on his second contract before playing a snap with TB here. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In regards to the receiver talk, there are some supremely talented kids (with height) available in this class however it must be noted that BB generally drafts WR's that are fast, quick in short in the short area/in and out of breaks and have good lateral agility, this historically has translated into smaller WR's.  This skill set fits well with their preferred offensive philosophy to work the underneath and intermediate part of the field while occasionally take a shot at the homerun ball.

It would't suprise me at all if he passes on AJ Green/Julio Jones/Michael Floyd/Jonathan Baldwin assuming any are available when NE picks.

A kid to keep an eye (especially those who wanted Dexter McCluster last year) on is Jacquizz Rodgers (5-7 190 RB/WR) from Oregon State, he's only a junior but the kid is electric with the ball in his hands.  He's a versatile (Primarily a RB, but has 100+ receptions in his career and looks comfortable running rountes.  He won't be a fulltime RB in the NFL though he could be a valuable 3rd down back as well.) and produtive, has elite quickness, is tough and extremely competitive with a little of that small man syndrome/chip on his shoulder type attitude.  Personally, I like that in a player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

mb - I think I'd like to see more of Woodhead before looking at another 3rd down receiving back. If Woodhead continues to progress I don't think a smaller change of back is needed.

Provided Woodhead continues to prove a decent change of pace back I think we need a bruiser back to soften up the defense, goal line situations, and works as a FB blocker when needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

I think it will at one Crimson Tide player drafted by us RB Mark Ingram or  WR Julio Jones or DE Marcell Dareus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mb - I think I'd like to see more of Woodhead before looking at another 3rd down receiving back. If Woodhead continues to progress I don't think a smaller change of back is needed. Provided Woodhead continues to prove a decent change of pace back I think we need a bruiser back to soften up the defense, goal line situations, and works as a FB blocker when needed.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PE,
    I like what I've seen to this point from Woodhead but my point was, they could utilize his (Rodgers) versatility and athleticsim (a la Edelman), put him in the slot, maybe split out wide, use him out of the backfield.  BB likes them quick and this kid is as quick as they come. 

To your other point, I've been vocal in my belief that they need and upgrade at RB (dating back to the 2010 draft) and would love someone that brings the power game (Ingram) as well as a pure FB (Marecic) to add value to said power game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : PE, I like what I've seen to this point from Woodhead but my point was, they could utilize his (Rodgers) versatility and athleticsim (a la Edelman), put him in the slot, maybe split out wide, use him out of the backfield.  BB likes them quick and this kid is as quick as they come.  To your other point, I've been vocal in my belief that they need and upgrade at RB (dating back to the 2010 draft) and would love someone that brings the power game (Ingram) as well as a pure FB (Marecic) to add value to said power game.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

There in lies the problem of adding to many people to the pot. If you are thinking about adding to the slot and letting him work out of the back field from time to time where are you going to squeeze him in between Welker, Branch, Tate, Edelman, Price, and Hernandez? Essentially that's Edelmans role right now.

Also for the RB core I think the only reason we carried 5 backs going into the season was over concerns of the health of Maroney, Morris, and Taylor. They were pretty much justified as we have 3 active and 4 on the roster right now.  I think with a bunch of younger backs we will only need to carry 4 going forward. BJGE is finally starting to show flashes of a RB maturing so you aren't about to cut him lose or drop him to 4th in the depth chart. Woodhead seems like an ideal replacement for Faulk so as of right now you aren't going to dump him either. That leaves 1 player if you only dress 3 and have the 4th as depth on the 53 man roster. A elite back just doesn't fit if you want a FB in a role (which with our O I'm not sure a pure FB would justify the roster spot). That's why I'm not looking him for a #1 type back but more of a complimentary back that can fill the FB role but also the short yard back and the bruiser to soften up the defense type of back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : There in lies the problem of adding to many people to the pot. If you are thinking about adding to the slot and letting him work out of the back field from time to time where are you going to squeeze him in between Welker, Branch, Tate, Edelman, Price, and Hernandez? Essentially that's Edelmans role right now.Also for the RB core I think the only reason we carried 5 backs going into the season was over concerns of the health of Maroney, Morris, and Taylor. They were pretty much justified as we have 3 active and 4 on the roster right now.  I think with a bunch of younger backs we will only need to carry 4 going forward. BJGE is finally starting to show flashes of a RB maturing so you aren't about to cut him lose or drop him to 4th in the depth chart. Woodhead seems like an ideal replacement for Faulk so as of right now you aren't going to dump him either. That leaves 1 player if you only dress 3 and have the 4th as depth on the 53 man roster. A elite back just doesn't fit if you want a FB in a role (which with our O I'm not sure a pure FB would justify the roster spot). That's why I'm not looking him for a #1 type back but more of a complimentary back that can fill the FB role but also the short yard back and the bruiser to soften up the defense type of back.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

So you're telling me they are set at receiver and no one else can/would be brought in? 

I'm also not ready to crown BJGE and Danny Woodhead as the future at their respective positions based on one game against Miami.  Both have looked good, but there are certainly upgrades available via the draft.

To take it a step further, they currently have 5 backs on the roster, Taylor, Morris, BJGE, Woodhead and Thomas Clayton.  IMO, there's a good chance Taylor won't be back and Clayton appears to be roster depth at this point.  That leaves you BJGE, Morris and Woodhead, none of which I'd want as my fulltime #1, though BJGE might ultimately find a home as the #2.  Of those three, Morris has injury risks and hasn't seen the ball much and could conceivably be gone as well.  Either way, there should be room on the roster for an upgrade (draft or FA) and/or additional headcount. 

A kid like Rodgers (and FB/LB Marecic) is valuable to a roster, especially a BB roster because of his versatility, his ability to contribute at multiple positions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Hey MB, Belicheck has passed on some pretty good RB over the years. Part of that is that they changed thier offensive phylosophy (after the downfield contact rules got enforced and morphed into a finesse team. The other is especially in the 1st 2 rounds he drafts "everydown players". Most young running backs struggle with learning thier pass protection responsibilities and thus are relagated to 1st and 2nd downs and 3rd and short. To me the issue with the Pat's running game starts with the personnel upfront. They've gone away from the punch you in the mouth ball control offense of the championship years with Smith and Dillion running behind some pretty nasty guys, grinding teams and killin the clock. Today they employ the spread offense with zone blocking scemes, dictating that we draft and develop a more athletic skill set and mobility from our OL guys, not unlike the style employed by Shanahan. The difference is Shanahan is commited to the run, Belicheck uses the short passing game (bubble screens etc). I think the chances of us drafting a RB in the 1st round is very low (unless a can't miss I don't belive he dropped this far type falls in our lap with our pick...the 2nd round he's more likely to, if there's a player on the board that fit's the criteria above.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Beantowne,
    I'm not sure I agree that they've changed their personnel philosophy when it comes to OL as most of their main guys joined the team prior to the 2007 remolding into a pass first/spread offense.  I also don't see a reason why Vollmer or the rest of their OL couldn't succeed in either scheme (pre/post 2007).

Light- 10 years
    Mankins- Would be his 6th year
    Koppen- 8 years
    Neal- 9 years
    Kaczur- 6 years

Also, the trading of Moss signifies a shift away from the circus offense and back to their ball control offense in which they spread the ball around, work the short, underneath and intermediate parts of the field while mixing in the run to balance things off.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : So you're telling me they are set at receiver and no one else can/would be brought in?  I'm also not ready to crown BJGE and Danny Woodhead as the future at their respective positions based on one game against Miami.  Both have looked good, but there are certainly upgrades available via the draft. To take it a step further, they currently have 5 backs on the roster, Taylor, Morris, BJGE, Woodhead and Thomas Clayton.  IMO, there's a good chance Taylor won't be back and Clayton appears to be roster depth at this point.  That leaves you BJGE, Morris and Woodhead, none of which I'd want as my fulltime #1, though BJGE might ultimately find a home as the #2.  Of those three, Morris has injury risks and hasn't seen the ball much and could conceivably be gone as well.  Either way, there should be room on the roster for an upgrade (draft or FA) and/or additional headcount.  A kid like Rodgers (and FB/LB Marecic) is valuable to a roster, especially a BB roster because of his versatility, his ability to contribute at multiple positions.

Yes I'm saying they are currently set at the WR position. At least set enough to not want to spend a 3rd or higher pick on another player.

They currently have 5 rb's 2 of which are Morris and Taylor. Taylor is currently hurt so I'm not counting him as part of the active roster just as a guy taking up a roster slot. Both of those guys are injury prone so yes you do need to have 2 players as insurance in case one gets hurt. What I'm saying is that if you didn't need 2 players but 1 player then you could add depth to say CB, Oline, LB, DL or maybe have a 3rd QB on your team. It's hard to argue that any of those couldn't use an extra guy verse the extra spot slotted for a RB.

As for Woodhead and BJGE I'm not basing it off 1 game. BJGE has been progressing over the last couple seasons and his progression is very evident. You are right he'll never be a #1 but he'll be a damn good #2 which means you just need a complimentary back next to him not a true #1.

With Woodhead I'm still in a wait and see mode. He's looked good and I'd like to see a full season before making a judgement but if he continues the way he's played the last 2 games I don't see why he couldn't be Faulk's replacement after this year.

All I am saying is look at the current roster and rosters in the past. The only time in the entire BB era there has been a true #1 back that carried for over 1000yrds was the first year with Dillion. Now he was very effective but I think our O will be more effective with 3 500-800yrd backs and spending high picks on the lines then picking up another slot receiver and RB early.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Oakland's first rounder, hopefully in the top 5 or 6, goes to the baddest pass rusher available.  No way they take a RB there.   Maybe a corner or oline with the second first rounder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I have been getting yelled at for two years calling for more touches for BJGE, I see a lot of good things when he touches the ball.  I honestly think with reps he will develop into a starting back, a work horse.

mb I don't know there's a need to draft a FB this is why:
    Eric Kettani, will finish his military commitment next offseason.

A Navy back in the 2009 NFL Draft? You bet! Eric Kettani started all of the Midshipmen's thirteen games in 2006 as a fullback, where he rushed for 229 yards on 53 attempts (4.3 avg) with a TD. In 2007, Kettani started five of thirteen games for Navy. He rushed for 880 yards on 152 carriers (5.8).

Good frame, although he needs to add more weight and upper body strength. Powerful legs. Great leg drive. Tough to bring down. Runs with passion and determination. Find spaces between the tackles. A willing blocker who likes contact. Good set of soft hands. Slow (4.6). Limited athletic ability. Although he has good hands, his route running skills are underdeveloped. Needs more time in the weight room.

Kettani is not as strong or physically impressive as other fullback prospects, but he has determination and runs very hard. Plus, he does have one of the softer sets of hands in the nation. A willing player, he will do anything to make a roster. He will probably www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1587#" class="GVAdLink">start off as a special teamer, but he has a future in the offensive backfield. Kettani has a chance to be selected late in the Draft. Even if he is by-passed, he will make an NFL roster because of his heart and desire.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I have been getting yelled at for two years calling for more touches for BJGE, I see a lot of good things when he touches the ball.  I honestly think with reps he will develop into a starting back, a work horse. mb I don't know there's a need to draft a FB this is why: Eric Kettani, will finish his military commitment next offseason. A Navy back in the 2009 NFL Draft? You bet! Eric Kettani started all of the Midshipmen's thirteen games in 2006 as a fullback, where he rushed for 229 yards on 53 attempts (4.3 avg) with a TD. In 2007, Kettani started five of thirteen games for Navy. He rushed for 880 yards on 152 carriers (5.8). Good frame, although he needs to add more weight and upper body strength. Powerful legs. Great leg drive. Tough to bring down. Runs with passion and determination. Find spaces between the tackles. A willing blocker who likes contact. Good set of soft hands. Slow (4.6). Limited athletic ability. Although he has good hands, his route running skills are underdeveloped. Needs more time in the weight room. Kettani is not as strong or physically impressive as other fullback prospects, but he has determination and runs very hard. Plus, he does have one of the softer sets of hands in the nation. A willing player, he will do anything to make a roster. He will probably www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1587# " class="GVAdLink" /> start off as a special teamer, but he has a future in the offensive backfield. Kettani has a chance to be selected late in the Draft. Even if he is by-passed, he will make an NFL roster because of his heart and desire.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Unlike most, I'm not as optimistic on BJGE as a long term solution as he's extremely limited as a player.  While he may provide value to the team as a complimentary RB, I don't see him as their #1. 

Good call on Kettani though, It'll be interesting to see if there's a place for him in Foxboro.  Like Marecic, he's the kinda throw back player that I like.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Unlike most, I'm not as optimistic on BJGE as a long term solution as he's extremely limited as a player.  While he may provide value to the team as a complimentary RB, I don't see him as their #1.  Good call on Kettani though, It'll be interesting to see if there's a place for him in Foxboro.  Like Marecic, he's the kinda throw back player that I like.

He could be a nice addition in both the running game and another pass catcher.  He's a guy who would fit the direction the team is going.  young and fit that leader type Patriot way.  can't wait to see what he can do and if he makes enough of an impression to get on the roster.  i think if he does he'll get some touches and open holes for the RBs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

i'm not a big fan of breaking things down like that. These stats are too arbitrary and have nothing to be compared to. In general, I am of the belief that BB will take the player he feels will help the team the most. If it's a CB like Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, or Brandon Harris, a RB, Ingram, or someone in the front 7 or WR. Who projected that the Pats would take Devin McCourty in the past draft? I for one was shocked and confused by the pick. Now though we would be in so much trouble without him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]i'm not a big fan of breaking things down like that. These stats are too arbitrary and have nothing to be compared to. In general, I am of the belief that BB will take the player he feels will help the team the most. If it's a CB like Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, or Brandon Harris, a RB, Ingram, or someone in the front 7 or WR. Who projected that the Pats would take Devin McCourty in the past draft? I for one was shocked and confused by the pick. Now though we would be in so much trouble without him.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]
    Actually Kyle, I predicted McCourty.  If you go back and look at my posts and mocks pre draft I had both players in a lot of them.  I liked McCourty as much for his special teams play, blocked kicks, etc, as I did his ability to cover.  I had one post where I predicted we trade down in the first and land McCourty at 26.  I had us taking Spikes, Gronkowski and Hernandez in the 2nd a bunch of times.  We got all three players but Hernandez in the fourth which was HUGE as it turns out.

I admitted that breaking things down the way I did doesn't tell the whole story.  Over 11 drafts our picks positionally are about what you'd expect based on roster spots with the exception of WR, RB and interior line.  BB just doesn't tend to draft those positions high.  It doesn't tell the whole story for sure but you can use past practices as an indicator of how BB approaches the draft philosophically.  A look at trades and free agent acquisitions over the past 11 years would provide a better look at how BB constructs his teams.  I posted earlier in this thread that he acquires veteran WRs and RB more often than he drafts them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Test

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'll support the McCourty talk as there was debate on Odrick vs. McCourty or perhaps it was more DE vs. a CB, as well as "do we really need another CB".  No matter how you slice it the Pats were going to trade down if they went after either of these two.  I was surprised on how far they did trade down.  I thought it risky. 

If you weren't on the draft page and a lot of folks weren't, they were very surprised by the McCourty pick.  Didn't know exactly who he was.  Stupid talk like we drafted a special teamer for our 1st pick, a bust.  It seems like most would rather complain because they had never heard of the kid rather than go and find out who he is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I'll support the McCourty talk as there was debate on Odrick vs. McCourty or perhaps it was more DE vs. a CB, as well as "do we really need another CB".  No matter how you slice it the Pats were going to trade down if they went after either of these two.  I was surprised on how far they did trade down.  I thought it risky.  If you weren't on the draft page and a lot of folks weren't, they were very surprised by the McCourty pick.  Didn't know exactly who he was.  Stupid talk like we drafted a special teamer for our 1st pick, a bust.  It seems like most would rather complain because they had never heard of the kid rather than go and find out who he is.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    I'd agree with that.  Most people who don't follow the draft didn't watch him in the Combines and how fluid he was.  I think we pretty much need to go DL or OLB this time.

But, as we know, BB is full of surprises.  We have ZERO RBs signed past 2010 with three of them likely too old to keep so perhaps this is the year where BB goes crazy and spends a couple of high picks at RB like he did TE this past draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

McCourty was a pick I loved but I was suprised as I thought BB was going to go after Kindel(sp).  As far as 2011 draft I think BB will take a couple in round one and two but I suspect BB will move round 3 picks maybe to 2012. or he might move one of the secound round picks to 2012 and one of the 3rd round picks to 2012 as well. Either way he won't use more then 4 picks in total through round 3... bad for cap especially with the changes likely to be in the new CBA

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Pats don't have 2-4th round picks...Branch cost us our highest of the 2 to get him, so odds are Seattle will get the 4th we got from Denver for Maroney....
    We lso lost a 5th to Atlanta & a 7th also went to Seattle as well for Branch
    think we currently have:
    2-#1's
    2-#2's
    2-#3's
    1-#4
    1-#6
    not sure if we'll get any compensatory picks....maybe a 4th/5th for Watson?? Not sure if we got anything else currently

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

what's going on?!!! everytime i make time to watch a game to see a guy whose name gets thrown in here a lot, the guy just does not show up. i am not sure if i am jinxing these guys, or there's a little bit of overrating of the players.

today, i basically locked myself in the room to see the last half of the ohio-wisconsin game, specifcially to watch cameron heyward. as usual, he did not show up! i only saw him come near wisconsin's qb once.

i actually came away more impressed by the guys on the wisconsin off line - #s 66 (i believe the center), 68 (the LT) and 74. these guys played solid. they made heyward disappear. they made the RBs look better than they really are. and they did a good job of improvising to protect the qb when the ohio rushers broke through.

i also thought the de on wisconsin, #99, was pretty good. i checked his size though he's on the lightish side to play de on a nwe 3-4. he's 6-6 though so he cou,d easily put on 10-15 lbs.

Sections
Shortcuts