2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : ... trading of Moss signifies a shift away from the circus offense ...Posted by mbeaulieu07

i like what you called the offense. it think it was just appropriate. you could tell though, by the way put up posts to get this wr or that wr, that they like the circus offense. me, i liked it better when the opposing defense could not plan scheme agaisnt the pats offense - too many nobodies on the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

a guy to look at was 3-4 DE/DT JJ Watts, Wisconsin formerly at TE too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

1a. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

1b. Nate Solder OT (Colorado), 6-9

2a. RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma, 6-0, 214, 4.49

2b. DE/DT JJ Watts, Wisconsin

3a. OG Clint Boling, Georgia, 6-5, 310, 5.16

3b. CB Chimdi Chekwa, Ohio State, 6-0, 190, 4.42

4a. FB Owen Marecic – Stanford

6. Ugo Chinasa, Oklahoma State OLB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I think most of the high round picks should go to the trenches...
    Posted by FishTaco64

i agree... that said i would not mind picking up an olb if one that upgrades the pats there is available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Everyone thinks BB is going to draft a RB with Oakland's pick, but don't sleep on Marcell Dareus  (6'3, 306, DE/NT from Bama). If Saban tells BB that a kid is worth drafting, BB will listen. Just look at all the Florida kids that BB drafted just because of Meyers. 

Check out these reports on him. 

Lets go defensive, with Alabama 3-4 DE Marcel Dareus.

Sttrengths: Even with his big 306 pound frame, he has great speed, size and power, similar to a RB.

Weaknesses: Has great motor and natural ability, but needs to polish them before sundays come a knocking.

Overall: Clearly our best 3-4 DE in this class. And should be a top 5 pick in April 2011. But the ongoing investigation of a party held by an agent might hinder his status and stock.

Game to Watch: Home against Auburn(November 26th, 2010)- How will Dareus do against one of our top 8 OT's, Lee Zeimba.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

I dont folllow college football too closely.  Are there any dominant pass rushers who will enter the draft? We need one or two desperately.

What about Ingram? I've heard him being compared to A. Peterson. Is he that good or are people overhyping him.  I know hes been hurt a couple times and thats a major issue. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Guys, I was thinking about QBs.  Now read this before pounding me!  SF and Buffalo are needing QBs.  My hopes are that there are a couple in the neighborhood to push down other talent to the Pats.  Any hopes here?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Guys, I was thinking about QBs.  Now read this before pounding me!  SF and Buffalo are needing QBs.  My hopes are that there are a couple in the neighborhood to push down other talent to the Pats.  Any hopes here?
    Posted by garytx

Mallett, Luck, and Locker should all go in the top 10. Christian Ponder, Nick Foles, and Terrell Pryor could be first round picks, though Pryor probably goes back to Ohio St. If Kirk Cousins or John Brantley come out there is a chance as well for them to be selected in the first round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

You really think that Luck is a top 10!?  That surprises me.  Mallett and Locker I knew were up there but they had a couple of games that were not up to expectations and thought their stock would drop.  But there is a fickle thing about QBs when it comes to the draft.  It seems measurables are ranked higher than results which I find curious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

You really think that Luck is a top 10!?  That surprises me.  Mallett and Locker I knew were up there but they had a couple of games that were not up to expectations and thought their stock would drop.  But there is a fickle thing about QBs when it comes to the draft.  It seems measurables are ranked higher than results which I find curious.
    Posted by garytx

gtx,
    IMO, when it comes to QB's, I think you have to scout a player from a number of angles :  How does he perform against top competition?  How does he perform under pressure?  Does he have the ability to lead?  Does he have the ability to understand/execute the offense?  How much time does he spend breaking down film?  How is his arm strength?  How is his accuracy?

It's awful tough to define "results" due to the amount of variables involved,  strength of schedule, type of offense, talent surrounding you etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Pats don't have 2-4th round picks...Branch cost us our highest of the 2 to get him, so odds are Seattle will get the 4th we got from Denver for Maroney.... We lso lost a 5th to Atlanta & a 7th also went to Seattle as well for Branch think we currently have: 2-#1's 2-#2's 2-#3's 1-#4 1-#6 not sure if we'll get any compensatory picks....maybe a 4th/5th for Watson?? Not sure if we got anything else currently
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

Correct me if I'm wrong.  We traded our 6th and Maroney for Denver's 4th.  We then traded the better of our 4ths (likely DEN) to Seattle for Branch.  So we have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds then done.  Right? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Correct me if I'm wrong.  We traded our 6th and Maroney for Denver's 4th.  We then traded the better of our 4ths (likely DEN) to Seattle for Branch.  So we have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds then done.  Right? 
    Posted by Faucetman

Correct.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Posted by garytx

The majority of mocks i've seen have Luck as the #1 pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by garytx

One thing is certain.  Bad teams who need a QB usually draft them in the first round and QB is the position most often taken #1.  The door mats in the NFL right now are clearly BUF, CAR and SF.  Jimmy Clausen has the lowest rating of any starting QB at 52.2 but he's a rookie.  Does CAR have patience and trust in him to get better?  Now look at SF's Alex Smith, a perpetual disappointment.  He's got the 7th worst passer rating at 71.6.  But he's ahead of Hasselbeck, Derek Anderson and Favre all of whom are better than that.  BUF dumped Marc Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing well and has the 6th highest passer rating at 99.9.  Still one of these teams, likely SF, will take a QB in the top 3.

Defensively the Bills are by far hurting the most of these three dogs but their defense is still ranked ahead of the Pats.  But the Bills have a pretty good secondary.  It's their run defense which is worst in the NFL so I'd look for the Bills to draft DL plus they lost Aaron Schobel.  CAR is solid against the pass but pretty anemic against the run too plus they lost Peppers.  We have their 2nd round pick so they better make their first round pick count.  But, CAR could easily go offense too.  They are ranked dead last in offense, 31 in passing, 22 in rushing.  They could go QB, OL or DL.

My point is of the 3 bad teams, none are likely to take Peterson because they all have bigger needs.  So that drops him to #4.

Let's assume of the 1 win teams that DAL and MIN will turn things around enough to finish ahead of OAK.  That still leaves year-in and year-out pigs CLE and DET likely to finish near the bottom.  Both have fairly decent offenses.  CLE could use a WR or QB.  It's pretty sad that CLE's #1 receiver is Ben Watson and their #2 receiver is a RB.  DET needs help stopping the run and the pass.  I could see CLE going with AJ Green and DET with Peterson.

I don't know if there is a clear cut #1 DE/DT type in the draft yet.  Of Clayborn, Heyward, Bailey, Ballard, Quinn, Bowers and Crick perhaps only 1 is off the board when we pick.  I'm not sure I would go DL with that OAK pick as one of these guys should be there when we use our pick in the 20s.  Bowers, if he declares, leads the nation in sacks but he's a 43 end.  I'm not sure if he can stand up at the next level.

Defensively we are ranked 29th overall, 28th against the pass, 20th against the run.  Getting Bodden and Ty Warren back will help both stats.  If Peterson is off the board would we consider Prince Amukamara if we don't like any of the DL types that early?  Behind Bodden and McCourty we have nobody.  Is there an OLB ranked high enough, Ayers or Beal perhaps?  I could see us going with either of them.

But then again as many know we have to address OL and RB in this draft.  History would suggest BB will wait until the 2nd round to pick an OT and I doubt he takes an OG/C type until the 4th if at all.  He also doesn't like to draft RBs.  I think he will do what he always does and that's bring in a pair of F/A RBs before the draft. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I dont folllow college football too closely.  Are there any dominant pass rushers who will enter the draft? We need one or two desperately. What about Ingram? I've heard him being compared to A. Peterson. Is he that good or are people overhyping him.  I know hes been hurt a couple times and thats a major issue. 
    Posted by Spetznaz24

Here are your sack leaders through yesterday.

RankPlayerPosClGmSoloAstYdsTotalPG
    1Da'Quan Bowers, ClemsonDLJR6906591.50
    2Josh McNary, ArmyDLSR791849.51.36
    3Vinny Curry, MarshallDLJR6804881.33
    4Logan Harrell, Fresno St.DLJR663577.51.25
    5Chris Carter, Fresno St.DLSR6703371.17
    6Roosevelt Nix, Kent St.DLFR661606.51.08
    7Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.DLSO7624571.00
    7Ja'Gared Davis, SMULBSO7623871.00
    7Rodney Gnat, LouisvilleDLSR6604261.00
    7Brian Duncan, Texas TechLBSR6602661.00
    7Jeremy Beal, OklahomaDLSR6524961.00
    7Ricky Elmore, ArizonaDLSR6524661.00
    13Guy Miller, Colorado St.DLSR761476.5.93
    13Justin Houston, GeorgiaLBJR761436.5.93

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Even though we won today and the defense stepped it up in the 2nd half but until we can do that consistently, we still have problems to address.  We can't get off the field on 3rd down and it doesn't seem to matter the distance.  This means lack of pass rush, and poor secondary play.  McCourty was exposed at least 3 times in the first half but made a big play at the end on Heap.  Meriweather was going after Heap twice before he finally speared him.  I am not convinced Meriweather is someone you want to build your secondary around.  I think we have Chung and McCourty and everyone else could be upgraded.

The defensive line did better in the second half as did the LBs.  I thought Cunningham was impressive especially in the first half and Dane Fletcher flashed a bit in the second half.  Maybe these young guys will get better with time and experience but nothing I saw today made me think we don't need help on all three levels of the defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If the season ended today we'd be picking; 8, 30, 33, 62, 74, 94 and 126. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I think our perfect Kevin Faulk replacement back is Kendall Hunter from Oklahoma State...I also like Jeremy Beal from Oklahoma for OLB....big guy...260 pounds...Vrabel size...

If the season ended today we'd be picking; 8, 30, 33, 62, 74, 94 and 126. 
    Posted by Faucetman

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think our perfect Kevin Faulk replacement back is Kendall Hunter from Oklahoma State...I also like Jeremy Beal from Oklahoma for OLB....big guy...260 pounds...Vrabel size... In Response to Re: 2011 Draft :
    Posted by mcboyd22

I think our perfect Faulk replacement is already on the team. Woodhead in the last 3 games has shown me enough to see he can be Faulks replacement.

I agree with Beal. I've been high on him for a while now. I think he should be around the late 1st early 2nd region. How would that be for a 1st 3 picks either Dareus DT/DE, Bailey DE, or Clayborn DE with Oak's, then between Car's 2nd and our 1st grab Beal DE/OLB and either Pouncey G/C or Sherrod OT

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Unless Deaderick keeps getting better I still think Nick Fairley is the way to go. He was absolutely awesome against Arkansas -- too bad the rest of the Auburn defense wasn't so awesome. 

But yeah, some offensive line help would be key. And a big Michael Irvin/Plax type possession WR would be a great add too. OR a flat out dominant RB. But I don't see any safe bets there either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think our perfect Kevin Faulk replacement back is Kendall Hunter from Oklahoma State...I also like Jeremy Beal from Oklahoma for OLB....big guy...260 pounds...Vrabel size... In Response to Re: 2011 Draft :
    Posted by mcboyd22

After last night I think we may already have Faulk's replacement in Danny Woodhead.  I know he isn't very big but he has all the moves.  I like Noel Devine a little better than Hunter.  They are similar in size but Devine I think is a step faster while Hunter is stronger.  Either would be good in the 2nd round.  But if Woodhead is going to be that guy, and I think he's earned the chance, why not go after a big bruising back? 

I am starting to like John Clay of Wisconsin.  At 6-1, 258, 4.67 he's a shorter version of Brandon Jacobs.  Clay is the 13th leading rusher in the county averaging 113 yards a game.  He rushed for over 100 yards in the Badger's victory over #1 Ohio State.  He's a human bulldozer.  Who needs a FB if you get this kid?  The only thing I don't like is he won't catch any balls for you but in short yardage situations, you might as well just move the chains.  If Clay could be had with our 2nd he would be an excellent complement to Woodhead and BJGE.  We could pick up another RB in free agency and be set.

Jeremy Beal is one of the guys I'm interested in along with Akeem Ayers.  One or both of these guys could be there with that Raiders pick.  I'm torn over whether we should go OLB, CB or DL with that first pick.  Peterson will be gone but Price Amukamara may be there and he is really starting to turn heads and move up draft boards.  I think Bodden, McCourty and another solid CB would go a long way towards getting us off the field on 3rd downs.  Heading into yesterday's game, we were ranked dead last in that category.  But yes, I would be very happy with Beal too.

I was happy to see Deaderick get the start last night.  He made some plays.  If either Deaderick or Brace can be the man and with Warren coming back maybe we could hold off on DL at the top of the draft.  I'd almost rather see us get an OT in the late first, early 2nd.  I'm not sure if the Pats want to bring back Light.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If we look at our roster we see that 25 players are signed through at least 2012.  The guys who's contracts expire after 2010 worth talking about are Light, BJGE, Woodhead, White, Wendell and Arrington.  Other than Light, those 5 guys should be easy to keep at short money.  We gave up a 5th round pick for Page so hopefully he is in our plans although he hasn't shown us much yet.  The other guys like Mankins, Morris, Taylor, G Warren, Ojinnaka we can replace.  I hate losing Mankins but it seems inevitable.

Looking at 2011 we have Koppen, Welker, Sanders, Neal, Crumpler, Meriweather, Guyton, Ninkovich, Connolly, Wheatley, Wilhite, Slater, Hoyer, LeVoir and Love. set to become F/As.  Of that group we need to extend Welker, Ninkovich, Connolly (as starters) and Wilhite, LeVoir and Hoyer (as back ups).  I think it's time to get a new Center on the roster and give him a year to develop.  Meriweather just doesn't seem like a good fit and isn't a good character guy.  Perhaps we look to trade him in the off season.  Sanders seems to have lost his starting job and Crumpler and Neal would be ready to retire.  Guyton seems to have been replaced by Spikes but he could still add depth and value on special teams. 

So, based on expiring contracts we would seem to need to look for 2 RBs, 1 LB, 1 DL, 1 C, 1 OG, 1 OT, 1 TE, 2 S, 1 CB.  That is only 11 positions and we have 7 premium picks plus free agency plus the 2012 draft.  Our roster is actually in pretty good shape well into the future.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I heard one interesting twist on the 2011 draft from 98.5.

If there is a rookie cap the Pats could, most likely won't happen, trade all those 2nds, 3rds, and 4th to move up and come away with 4 1st rnd picks. All those picks should net a couple 1st in the mid to late teen area. So in theory they could end up with a top 10, 2 in the 13-20 range, and a late 1st.

I know it would never happen but with the amount of young talent emerging this year there might not be a lot of room next year for a huge draft. Imagine taking this team and adding Bailey/Clayborn, Ingram, Quinn, and say either another S (After what Meriweather did last night I'm not to high on him anymore) or getting a top ranked T/G/C.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I think our perfect Faulk replacement is already on the team. Woodhead in the last 3 games has shown me enough to see he can be Faulks replacement. I agree with Beal. I've been high on him for a while now. I think he should be around the late 1st early 2nd region. How would that be for a 1st 3 picks either Dareus DT/DE, Bailey DE, or Clayborn DE with Oak's, then between Car's 2nd and our 1st grab Beal DE/OLB and either Pouncey G/C or Sherrod OT
    Posted by PatsEng

Per our previous discussion, if he keeps this up, I'd agree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I heard one interesting twist on the 2011 draft from 98.5. If there is a rookie cap the Pats could, most likely won't happen, trade all those 2nds, 3rds, and 4th to move up and come away with 4 1st rnd picks. All those picks should net a couple 1st in the mid to late teen area. So in theory they could end up with a top 10, 2 in the 13-20 range, and a late 1st. I know it would never happen but with the amount of young talent emerging this year there might not be a lot of room next year for a huge draft. Imagine taking this team and adding Bailey/Clayborn, Ingram, Quinn, and say either another S (After what Meriweather did last night I'm not to high on him anymore) or getting a top ranked T/G/C.
    Posted by PatsEng

Another thing to look at, and to me it is the brilliance of BB.  He is playing the odds in another area as well.  If we go to an 18 game season, the rosters will be expanded.  Then we CAN draft and keep all those guys too.  We wont have to draft guys that cant be kept. 

Sections
Shortcuts