2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Another thing to look at, and to me it is the brilliance of BB.  He is playing the odds in another area as well.  If we go to an 18 game season, the rosters will be expanded.  Then we CAN draft and keep all those guys too.  We wont have to draft guys that cant be kept. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think of that. My god, the options we have in an uncertain draft year that's coming up is incredible

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : After last night I think we may already have Faulk's replacement in Danny Woodhead.  I know he isn't very big but he has all the moves.  I like Noel Devine a little better than Hunter.  They are similar in size but Devine I think is a step faster while Hunter is stronger.  Either would be good in the 2nd round.  But if Woodhead is going to be that guy, and I think he's earned the chance, why not go after a big bruising back?  I am starting to like John Clay of Wisconsin.  At 6-1, 258, 4.67 he's a shorter version of Brandon Jacobs.  Clay is the 13th leading rusher in the county averaging 113 yards a game.  He rushed for over 100 yards in the Badger's victory over #1 Ohio State.  He's a human bulldozer.  Who needs a FB if you get this kid?  The only thing I don't like is he won't catch any balls for you but in short yardage situations, you might as well just move the chains.  If Clay could be had with our 2nd he would be an excellent complement to Woodhead and BJGE.  We could pick up another RB in free agency and be set. Jeremy Beal is one of the guys I'm interested in along with Akeem Ayers.  One or both of these guys could be there with that Raiders pick.  I'm torn over whether we should go OLB, CB or DL with that first pick.  Peterson will be gone but Price Amukamara may be there and he is really starting to turn heads and move up draft boards.  I think Bodden, McCourty and another solid CB would go a long way towards getting us off the field on 3rd downs.  Heading into yesterday's game, we were ranked dead last in that category.  But yes, I would be very happy with Beal too. I was happy to see Deaderick get the start last night.  He made some plays.  If either Deaderick or Brace can be the man and with Warren coming back maybe we could hold off on DL at the top of the draft.  I'd almost rather see us get an OT in the late first, early 2nd.  I'm not sure if the Pats want to bring back Light.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Hi Faucet,See my comments in red:  I am starting to like John Clay of Wisconsin.  At 6-1, 258, 4.67 he's a shorter version of Brandon Jacobs.  Clay is the 13th leading rusher in the county averaging 113 yards a game.  He rushed for over 100 yards in the Badger's victory over #1 Ohio State.  He's a human bulldozer.  Who needs a FB if you get this kid?  The only thing I don't like is he won't catch any balls for you but in short yardage situations, you might as well just move the chains.  If Clay could be had with our 2nd he would be an excellent complement to Woodhead and BJGE.  We could pick up another RB in free agency and be set.   A relatively unknown kid that interests me is Bilal Powell.  I got a chance to watch him play against Cincinnati on Friday night and came away impressed.  Below is what I had posted about him on the other draft thread following the game:  Watching the Cincy/Louisville game tonight and the back from Louisville looks impressive. Bilal Powell, 6-0 215 senior, he runs with good power, vision and burst  (3 70+ yd TD runs on the year and has gone for 209 yards and 2 TDs on the night (his second consecutive 200+ yd game), he also looks pretty good catching the ball out of the backfield and ran some "Wild Card".  IMO, he's someone to keep any eye on as a mid-late round option at RB.

Overall, he's really come on this year under the new coaching staff under HC Charlie Strong (former DC at Florida) and has gone for 898 yds and 9 TDs on 115 carries (7.8 ypc).

As an NFL comparison, he reminded me a bit of Frank Gore both in looks and running style.”

Jeremy Beal is one of the guys I'm interested in along with Akeem Ayers.  One or both of these guys could be there with that Raiders pick.  I'm torn over whether we should go OLB, CB or DL with that first pick.  Peterson will be gone but Price Amukamara may be there and he is really starting to turn heads and move up draft boards.  I think Bodden, McCourty and another solid CB would go a long way towards getting us off the field on 3rd downs.  Heading into yesterday's game, we were ranked dead last in that category.  But yes, I would be very happy with Beal too.
     There will definitely be potential edge options with the size and length that BB prefers available in this class. Beal and Ayers as you named above, Ryan Kerrigan (6-3 263 Purdue), Mark Herzlich (6-4 245 BC), Robert Quinn (6-5 255) and Greg Romeus (6-5 265) etc.  What I like about Beal, Ayers, Herzlich and Romeus  already have experience playing out of a two point stance.   I also like your suggestion in Amukamara (6-0 203 Nebraska).  He has a good combo of size, speed, instincts and ball skills, is a secure tackler and is scheme diverse.  He’s widely regarded as a top 2 CB prospect in this draft class. The CB position, (even with Bodden likely back in 2011) looks like a bigger need than originally anticipated due to the lack of development in both Butler and Wheatley. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

What do you guys think the chances are we extend Light after the season?  Is Mark LaVoir ready for prime time?  He's a big boy at 6-7 and could have him play RT while we move Vollmer over to LT.  We know BB likes to develop OL and get them on the cheap.

Koppen got blown up a few times yesterday but then again Ngata blows up a lot of people.  Koppen's contract runs out in 2011 and for me, I'd like to see a slightly bigger center take over.  Connolly can play center or either OG position so we have some flexibility there.  Given BB's history, I don't see us spending a 1st round pick on the OL even a 2nd round pick would be rare unless he sees another Vollmer out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft :   Hi Faucet, See my comments in red:     I am starting to like John Clay of Wisconsin.  At 6-1, 258, 4.67 he's a shorter version of Brandon Jacobs.  Clay is the 13th leading rusher in the county averaging 113 yards a game.  He rushed for over 100 yards in the Badger's victory over #1 Ohio State.  He's a human bulldozer.  Who needs a FB if you get this kid?  The only thing I don't like is he won't catch any balls for you but in short yardage situations, you might as well just move the chains.  If Clay could be had with our 2nd he would be an excellent complement to Woodhead and BJGE.  We could pick up another RB in free agency and be set.     A relatively unknown kid that interests me is Bilal Powell.   I got a chance to watch him play against Cincinnati on Friday night and came away impressed.   Below is what I had posted about him on the other draft thread following the game:   “ Watching the Cincy/Louisville game tonight and the back from Louisville looks impressive. Bilal Powell, 6-0 215 senior, he runs with good power, vision and burst  (3 70+ yd TD runs on the year and has gone for 209 yards and 2 TDs on the night (his second consecutive 200+ yd game), he also looks pretty good catching the ball out of the backfield and ran some "Wild Card".  IMO, he's someone to keep any eye on as a mid-late round option at RB. Overall, he's really come on this year under the new coaching staff under HC Charlie Strong (former DC at Florida) and has gone for 898 yds and 9 TDs on 115 carries (7.8 ypc). As an NFL comparison, he reminded me a bit of Frank Gore both in looks and running style.” Jeremy Beal is one of the guys I'm interested in along with Akeem Ayers.  One or both of these guys could be there with that Raiders pick.  I'm torn over whether we should go OLB, CB or DL with that first pick.  Peterson will be gone but Price Amukamara may be there and he is really starting to turn heads and move up draft boards.  I think Bodden, McCourty and another solid CB would go a long way towards getting us off the field on 3rd downs.  Heading into yesterday's game, we were ranked dead last in that category.  But yes, I would be very happy with Beal too.   There will definitely be potential edge options with the size and length that BB prefers available in this class.   Beal and Ayers as you named above, Ryan Kerrigan (6-3 263 Purdue), Mark Herzlich (6-4 245 BC), Robert Quinn (6-5 255) and Greg Romeus (6-5 265) etc.   What I like about Beal, Ayers, Herzlich and Romeus   already have experience playing out of a two point stance.     I also like your suggestion in Amukamara (6-0 203 Nebraska).   He has a good combo of size, speed, instincts and ball skills, is a secure tackler and is scheme diverse.   He’s widely regarded as a top 2 CB prospect in this draft class. The CB position, (even with Bodden likely back in 2011) looks like a bigger need than originally anticipated due to the lack of development in both Butler and Wheatley.  
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Good stuff as always Mb.  I will check out Powell.  I also like the other OLBs you listed.  I just didn't have them rated as potential top 10, well maybe Kerrigan we could include.  Herzlich and Romeus could be late 1st, early 2nds I think. 

I agree with you on the CB situation.  I didn't even see Butler on the field, was he a healthy scratch?  Wheatley just can't stay healthy.  I'd love adding a Peterson (which isn't likely unless OAK loses out) or Amukamara potentially with that Raider pick or a pass rushing OLB.  There seems to be a bit of a drop off from Peterson and Amukamara to the next CB.  I guess Ras-I Dowling or perhaps Curtis Brown would be next, late 1st.  DL is deep so maybe we hold off a bit.

By the way, good call on Aaron Hernandez.  You never waivered.  Other than a couple of drops in OT, he's been fantastic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If you look at our O Line you’ll see that of the 13 on the roster (counting Mankins) counting the practice squad, we drafted 6 and 1 was drafted by another team.  6 others were undrafted free agents by us or acquired from other teams.  Let’s consider Mankins and Light gone after the season which is ironic since they were our two highest picks on the OL.  We’d have left to right, Vollmer (D2), Connolly (UDFA), Koppen (D5), Neal (UDFA), Kaczur (D3) as projected starters in 2011.   

C Dan Koppen 6-2, 296, 31 D5-03 (164)
    G Ryan Wendell 6-2, 24, 290, FA-08
    G Logan Mankins 6-4, 310, 28, D1-05 (32)
    G Stephen Neal, 6-4, 305, 34, FA-01C/OG
    Dan Connolly, 6-4, 313, 28 FA-07
    OT Sebastian Vollmer, 6-8, 315, 26 D2-09 (58)
    OL Thomas Austin, 6-4, 310, 24 FA-10 (MIN)
    OT Mark LeVoir, 6-7, 310, 28 FA-06 (CHI)
    OT Nick Kaczur, 6-4, 315, 31 D3-05 (100)
    OT Matt Light, 6-4, 305, 32 D2-01 (48)
    OL Rich Ohrnberger, 6-2, 300, 34 D4-09 (123)
    OL Steve Maneri, 6-6, 290, 22 FA-10 (HOU)
    OL Quinn Ojinnaka, 6-5, 295, 26 D5-06 (ATL) 

Given this it doesn’t make me think we are going to be drafting a OL very high in the draft.  I’ve got to think our late 2nd would be the place to start if at all.  Maybe a Justin Boren in the 4th round to give us a little depth at Guard.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to draft a stud OT even in the first but BB just doesn’t value OL that highly and he has a pretty strong track record of success developing nobodies into players. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : gtx, IMO, when it comes to QB's, I think you have to scout a player from a number of angles :  How does he perform against top competition?  How does he perform under pressure?  Does he have the ability to lead?  Does he have the ability to understand/execute the offense?  How much time does he spend breaking down film?  How is his arm strength?  How is his accuracy? It's awful tough to define "results" due to the amount of variables involved,  strength of schedule, type of offense, talent surrounding you etc.

This is what confuses me.  Flaaco and Clausen came out of no where.  Why did these guys climb?  It seems that scouts where hung up more on measurables than results.  Look at all the past busts at QB.  Where does that come from?  What are scouts looking at that makes them commit to a huge mistake?  Jeff George comes to mind here.  All the tools and no brain.

Basically, that's what I see when it comes to QBs.  Things are based more on measurables, the eye candy of football, rather than results which may be difficult be aren't scouts suppose to be able to do that?

Thanks beau!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mb,

This from my brother...

Yes...I caught that game.  Bilal looked TERRIFIC!  Definitely a great late-round snag.  But the word is already out, I'm afraid...We might have to take him in the 4th if we want him, plus that's our lowest pick anyway, right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : One thing is certain.  Bad teams who need a QB usually draft them in the first round and QB is the position most often taken #1.  The door mats in the NFL right now are clearly BUF, CAR and SF.  Jimmy Clausen has the lowest rating of any starting QB at 52.2 but he's a rookie.  Does CAR have patience and trust in him to get better?  Now look at SF's Alex Smith, a perpetual disappointment.  He's got the 7th worst passer rating at 71.6.  But he's ahead of Hasselbeck, Derek Anderson and Favre all of whom are better than that.  BUF dumped Marc Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing well and has the 6th highest passer rating at 99.9.  Still one of these teams, likely SF, will take a QB in the top 3. Defensively the Bills are by far hurting the most of these three dogs but their defense is still ranked ahead of the Pats.  But the Bills have a pretty good secondary.  It's their run defense which is worst in the NFL so I'd look for the Bills to draft DL plus they lost Aaron Schobel.  CAR is solid against the pass but pretty anemic against the run too plus they lost Peppers.  We have their 2nd round pick so they better make their first round pick count.  But, CAR could easily go offense too.  They are ranked dead last in offense, 31 in passing, 22 in rushing.  They could go QB, OL or DL. My point is of the 3 bad teams, none are likely to take Peterson because they all have bigger needs.  So that drops him to #4. Let's assume of the 1 win teams that DAL and MIN will turn things around enough to finish ahead of OAK.  That still leaves year-in and year-out pigs CLE and DET likely to finish near the bottom.  Both have fairly decent offenses.  CLE could use a WR or QB.  It's pretty sad that CLE's #1 receiver is Ben Watson and their #2 receiver is a RB.  DET needs help stopping the run and the pass.  I could see CLE going with AJ Green and DET with Peterson. I don't know if there is a clear cut #1 DE/DT type in the draft yet.  Of Clayborn, Heyward, Bailey, Ballard, Quinn, Bowers and Crick perhaps only 1 is off the board when we pick.  I'm not sure I would go DL with that OAK pick as one of these guys should be there when we use our pick in the 20s.  Bowers, if he declares, leads the nation in sacks but he's a 43 end.  I'm not sure if he can stand up at the next level. Defensively we are ranked 29th overall, 28th against the pass, 20th against the run.  Getting Bodden and Ty Warren back will help both stats.  If Peterson is off the board would we consider Prince Amukamara if we don't like any of the DL types that early?  Behind Bodden and McCourty we have nobody.  Is there an OLB ranked high enough, Ayers or Beal perhaps?    I could see us going with either of them. But then again as many know we have to address OL and RB in this draft.  History would suggest BB will wait until the 2nd round to pick an OT and I doubt he takes an OG/C type until the 4th if at all.  He also doesn't like to draft RBs.  I think he will do what he always does and that's bring in a pair of F/A RBs before the draft. 

Thanks for breaking this down Faucet.  It was kinda where I was going with this.  I didn't know Fitzpatrick was doing so well.  Would there be any OTs around?  They might want to trade down and get more picks.  Seems logical.

Peterson in Detriot seems highly probably. 

I was thinking about Prince Amukamara as the Pats pick.  Good corners are usually high draft picks.  I don't see any OLB prospects with the first pick and there are not too many DEs that get me jazzed either.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : The majority of mocks i've seen have Luck as the #1 pick.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Kyle, I haven't taken a look at any mocks.  I figure that things will turn upsidedown as teams fight for the cellar and college players fight for the top 10 spots.  Even though I'm not looking at mocks it surprises me that Luck would be #1.  Hey, what do I know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

OLB, DL, OT, RB, CB, OG, OLB, WR...that is my order of need.  I trust BB to go get the best value the CBA allows, and FA has to offer.  I see Light and Mankins gone, along with both morris and Taylor.  With any luck we have Kazur, warren, and Bodden back.  Time to focus on runn defense, passrush, and the running game, as the pats have a great short to intermediate game now with the great slot recievers in Welker, Branch, Hernandez, and gronk...and just need another everydown "type" back to have a legitimate threat to run out of the 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB set...that should be their base set with those 2 solid TE's...

The OLB and DL short comings are obvious....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : This is what confuses me.  Flaaco and Clausen came out of no where.  Why did these guys climb?  It seems that scouts where hung up more on measurables than results.  Look at all the past busts at QB.  Where does that come from?  What are scouts looking at that makes them commit to a huge mistake?  Jeff George comes to mind here.  All the tools and no brain. Basically, that's what I see when it comes to QBs.  Things are based more on measurables, the eye candy of football, rather than results which may be difficult be aren't scouts suppose to be able to do that? Thanks beau!
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    Flacco didn't come out of nowhere.  It was well known that he had a cannon for an arm at Delaware.  He was considered a 2nd round pick by most but BAL took him in the first, #18 overall.  Clausen was highly touted as a first round pick but slipped into the 2nd round.  There was a lot of talk about him being a jerk and not liked by his teammates.

Beyond the things MB mentioned there are intangibles like "how badly does this guy want to succeed" that you can't measure.  Look at Brady, he ran like a turtle at the Combine and looked more like a basketball player than a QB.  But he had grit and determination.  Half of all QBs taken in the first round end up as busts.  I'm not sure evaluating a QB is any harder or less certain than other positions.  I mean the Pats hit on only 1/3 of their draft picks of the past 11 years.  Of the QBs they drafted besides Brady, like O'Connell, Kingsbury and Davey were busts while undrafted Hoyer looks promising.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE] Maybe a Justin Boren in the 4 th round to give us a little depth at Guard.   Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to draft a stud OT even in the first but BB just doesn’t value OL that highly and he has a pretty strong track record of success developing nobodies into players.  

Damn Faucetman, we think a like. On another thread I was thinking Boren with 1 of the 3rds. I don't think he'll last to our late 4th and seems like a solid option that can go either G or C. I was actually thinking Pouncey with our late 1st and Boren in the 3rd would give the best flexability and allow both of them to find their role instead of filling a role.

Right now I'm thinking :

Oak's 1st - DE (Bailey, Clayborn, Dareus)
    Our 1st - OL/OLB (Quinn*, Beal, Pouncey)
    Car 2nd - OLB/OL/RB (Beal, Pouncey, Barksdale, Leshoure)
    Our 2nd - OLB/OL/RB (Friday, Cannon, Thomas)
    Vik 3rd - S/OL/DE/OLB (Johnson, Boren, Wilkerson, Friday)
    Our 3rd - S/OL (Boren, Johnson)

*Quinn has the possibility of falling. Don't think it would be this far but weirder things have happened. Esp when concerning suspensions from the draft year

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Thanks for breaking this down Faucet.  It was kinda where I was going with this.  I didn't know Fitzpatrick was doing so well.  Would there be any OTs around?  They might want to trade down and get more picks.  Seems logical. Peterson in Detriot seems highly probably.  I was thinking about Prince Amukamara as the Pats pick.  Good corners are usually high draft picks.  I don't see any OLB prospects with the first pick and there are not too many DEs that get me jazzed either.    
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    Surprisingly there are a ton of OTs in this draft that I think fit our mold, tall, long arms and good quickness.  There are at least 5 guys that I see as first round potential but none that I would say are Jake Long good.  I think the value here is mid 1st through the 2nd round.  Given BB's history, I wouldn't be thinking OL help in the 1st round.  I would be thinking DL and CB in the first with us potentially moving back with one of both of those picks to pick up an extra late round pick or an 2012 2nd or 3rd rounder. In the 2nd I could see us taking an OT and OLB and waiting until the 3rd for an RB and/or WR.  But, it's just my guess based on past trends.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Damn Faucetman, we think a like. On another thread I was thinking Boren with 1 of the 3rds. I don't think he'll last to our late 4th and seems like a solid option that can go either G or C. I was actually thinking Pouncey with our late 1st and Boren in the 3rd would give the best flexability and allow both of them to find their role instead of filling a role. Right now I'm thinking : Oak's 1st - DE (Bailey, Clayborn, Dareus) Our 1st - OL/OLB (Quinn*, Beal, Pouncey) Car 2nd - OLB/OL/RB (Beal, Pouncey, Barksdale, Leshoure) Our 2nd - OLB/OL/RB (Friday, Cannon, Thomas) Vik 3rd - S/OL/DE/OLB (Johnson, Boren, Wilkerson, Friday) Our 3rd - S/OL (Boren, Johnson) *Quinn has the possibility of falling. Don't think it would be this far but weirder things have happened. Esp when concerning suspensions from the draft year
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

yeah you're probably right about Boren.  Maybe 3rd round for him.  As I just posted I'm thinking DL or CB early on.  But it is way too early to try to slot most players.  There are always early favorites that slide and guys that shoot up boards out of nowhere.  The group of guys we are talking about now may very well not be the group we are talking about in Mar/Apr.  But as of now, the group you are mentioning is the same group I think most of us are looking at.  We are going to be scary good the next couple of years providing Brady stays healthy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : yeah you're probably right about Boren.  Maybe 3rd round for him.  As I just posted I'm thinking DL or CB early on.  But it is way too early to try to slot most players.  There are always early favorites that slide and guys that shoot up boards out of nowhere.  The group of guys we are talking about now may very well not be the group we are talking about in Mar/Apr.  But as of now, the group you are mentioning is the same group I think most of us are looking at.  We are going to be scary good the next couple of years providing Brady stays healthy. 

Yeah it is a bit early but I like to keep a list of players I watch according to where they might be slotted at the time and then as the year goes on I adjust my list depending on how the drafties look and how the Pats shape up, rooks and fa's. Gives me something to do during the week. At least until the B's and C's season really starts to get warmed up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : This is what confuses me.  Flaaco and Clausen came out of no where.  Why did these guys climb?  It seems that scouts where hung up more on measurables than results.  Look at all the past busts at QB.  Where does that come from?  What are scouts looking at that makes them commit to a huge mistake?  Jeff George comes to mind here.  All the tools and no brain. Basically, that's what I see when it comes to QBs.  Things are based more on measurables, the eye candy of football, rather than results which may be difficult be aren't scouts suppose to be able to do that? Thanks beau!
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I had heard Flacco and Clausen in the 1st round discussion from the end of their respective seasons, they were on most people radar's.

I think that's how you seperate the good/great talent evaluators from the bad ones.  The good ones are able to find the best combo of attributes (physical/mental) for a QB, attributes that translate into success.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Good stuff as always Mb.  I will check out Powell.  I also like the other OLBs you listed.  I just didn't have them rated as potential top 10, well maybe Kerrigan we could include.  Herzlich and Romeus could be late 1st, early 2nds I think.  I agree with you on the CB situation.  I didn't even see Butler on the field, was he a healthy scratch?  Wheatley just can't stay healthy.  I'd love adding a Peterson (which isn't likely unless OAK loses out) or Amukamara potentially with that Raider pick or a pass rushing OLB.  There seems to be a bit of a drop off from Peterson and Amukamara to the next CB.  I guess Ras-I Dowling or perhaps Curtis Brown would be next, late 1st.  DL is deep so maybe we hold off a bit. By the way, good call on Aaron Hernandez.  You never waivered.  Other than a couple of drops in OT, he's been fantastic.

Thanks, I sure am enjoying Gainsville North (Hernandez, Spikes, Cunningham) to this point!

I like Janoris Jenkins (5-11 189) the CB from Florida as well, kids been a starter since he walked on campus and looks like a potential shut-down guys as well.  He does have character questions though having been arrested for a bar fight which resulted in him getting tasered.  Either way, I think BB will get the info he needs from Urban.

As for DL I've been tossing around a few names for my Mock V1, and one guy that interests me a lot is Christian Ballard (6-4 296) from Iowa.  I think it may have been Z that mentioned him a few weeks back, but he has good size, ability to rush the passer, is strong at the POA and projects as the ideal 5 tech. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Mb, This from my brother... Yes...I caught that game.   Bilal looked TERRIFIC!   Definitely a great late-round snag.   But the word is already out, I'm afraid...We might have to take him in the 4th if we want him, plus that's our lowest pick anyway, right?

Interesting, yeah I was thinking mid-late on him. I'll likely have him their in my first mock. 

Here's one of his TD runs from that game in which he exhibits said power and burst. To me the burst part is something that BJGE just can't give you; it would add another dimension to the offense allowing the Law-Firm to fall back to a complimentary type, something I think he's better suited for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHte388tz4A

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Faucet, 

I agree that OL should be a focus. I think NE needs to look into one more front five piece, one more skill position player, and one offensive lineman with their first four picks. 

MB,

Clayborne gets all  the press, but Ballard is a solid contributor and worth taking a shot on in the third or very low second. 

If I am looking at getting a 34 DE, I think Nick Fairley is the way to go. I can't think of another kid in this draft suited to play 3-tech/4-tech style DE here. Just watching him against Arkansas again on Saturday, and he consistently draws double teams, with a chip, and still finds ways to get into the backfield. 

Dude pancaked Ryan Mallett and concussed him with pure body weight. I think Warren, Wilfork, and Fairley would be a massive 1000 lb front with great power/speed ratios and a real mean streak between Fairley and Fork. 

I kind of wanted NE to take a runner, but the more I look at this draft, I think RB just isn't a good spot to drive at. As such, I think a good position player could be Julio Jones at the swing between first and second -- assuming NE has the 32nd selection of course, lol. 

A 32-33 swing of Julio Jones and Gabe Carimi, who is the long, intellectual, pit fighter that BB kind of looks for, would be a sweet revamp for the offense. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet,  I agree that OL should be a focus. I think NE needs to look into one more front five piece, one more skill position player, and one offensive lineman with their first four picks.  MB, Clayborne gets all  the press, but Ballard is a solid contributor and worth taking a shot on in the third or very low second.  If I am looking at getting a 34 DE, I think Nick Fairley is the way to go. I can't think of another kid in this draft suited to play 3-tech/4-tech style DE here. Just watching him against Arkansas again on Saturday, and he consistently draws double teams, with a chip, and still  finds ways to get into the backfield.  Dude pancaked Ryan Mallett and concussed him with pure body weight. I think Warren, Wilfork, and Fairley would be a massive 1000 lb front with great power/speed ratios and a real mean streak between Fairley and Fork.  I kind of wanted NE to take a runner, but the more I look at this draft, I think RB just isn't a good spot to drive at. As such, I think a good position player could be Julio Jones at the swing between first and second -- assuming NE has the 32nd selection of course, lol.  A 32-33 swing of Julio Jones and Gabe Carimi, who is the long, intellectual, pit fighter that BB kind of looks for, would be a sweet revamp for the offense. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Z,
    Yeah, Fairley is certainly a fast riser on most draft boards, I think it's just a matter of where they'd decide to take a DL (1st round vs. 2nd/3rd).  I was impressed with what I saw of him on Saturday in limited viewing (I'm an ND guy so I try to catch the CBS SEC game during commercials/half time).  You're right, kid has ideal size, a ton of strength and power at the POA and seemed to push the pocket consisently.

I'm with you on Carimi as well and I love that toughness, ability to finish and blue collar mentality.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You should be sure to check out the LSU v Auburn game, because the winner could very well end up in the BCS bowl. 

Plus, I would love a read from other people on Drake Nevis. He has sort of an odd size, and I see him as more of an undertackle in a 4-3. But he is probably the most explosive DT in college this season. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Surprisingly there are a ton of OTs in this draft that I think fit our mold, tall, long arms and good quickness.  There are at least 5 guys that I see as first round potential but none that I would say are Jake Long good.  I think the value here is mid 1st through the 2nd round.  Given BB's history, I wouldn't be thinking OL help in the 1st round.  I would be thinking DL and CB in the first with us potentially moving back with one of both of those picks to pick up an extra late round pick or an 2012 2nd or 3rd rounder. In the 2nd I could see us taking an OT and OLB and waiting until the 3rd for an RB and/or WR.  But, it's just my guess based on past trends.

OT is on my wish list as well.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of OTs at the top of the first round which is rare.  2nd rounder sounds good because the first two picks will probably be defensive ones.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Thanks, I sure am enjoying Gainsville North (Hernandez, Spikes, Cunningham) to this point! I like Janoris Jenkins (5-11 189) the CB from Florida as well, kids been a starter since he walked on campus and looks like a potential shut-down guys as well.  He does have character questions though having been arrested for a bar fight which resulted in him getting tasered.  Either way, I think BB will get the info he needs from Urban. As for DL I've been tossing around a few names for my Mock V1, and one guy that interests me a lot is Christian Ballard (6-4 296) from Iowa.  I think it may have been Z that mentioned him a few weeks back, but he has good size, ability to rush the passer, is strong at the POA and projects as the ideal 5 tech. 
    I had kinda forgotten about Jenkins.  It's tough trying to pick which juniors will declare this early unless something is written about their intentions.  But I think Jenkins is one who might declare.  As for the bar fight, they pretty much all have that on their resume down in Florida except for maybe Tebow.  Spikes was doing pornos and Hernandez was spending weekends over at Ricky Williams' sampling his collection of mother nature at least three times that we know of and that didn't stop us from drafting them.  Assuming Jenkins does declare he could be a first round candidate for sure, bottom third I think.

Ballard on the other hand I had as more of an early 3rd but if you think this highly of him, I'll go back and take a closer look. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : OT is on my wish list as well.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of OTs at the top of the first round which is rare.  2nd rounder sounds good because the first two picks will probably be defensive ones.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    True, that's the conventional wisdom.  OT in the second round is where I think the smart money is.  Light and Vollmer were both 2nd round picks and Kaz was a 3rd round pick.  Mankins who played OT all through college went at 32 which you could say was a 2nd round pick since he wouldn't have been there at 64.  So, if you think about it BB has a history of drafting basically 4 OTs from the late 1st to late 3rd.  

Because of the premium teams place on LTs I do think a couple of these guys end up going top 10 with 5-6 going in the first round.  I see us holding off and maybe looking at Gabe Carimi with that CAR pick or Chris Hairston in the late 3rd.  Both guys are tall lanky types that can move.  Keep in mind even if Light does depart, Kaczur will be back, one would assume at RT, moving Vollmer to LT.  LaVoir is already on the roster and he's 6-7, 310 and going on 3 years with the Pats now.  He knows the system and he's looked okay when pressed into service.  A rookie OT would still have a hard time cracking the starting line up next year even if Light is gone.  

I think the real opportunity for a rookie is at Guard.  I know Neal is signed through 2011 as is Koppen but he is a candidate to retire or get hurt again, Neal that is.  We have Ohrnberger, Ojinnaka and Wendell.  All are sub 300 lb. and I know BB likes fast nimble guards but I would hope he'd look to add a decent sized guy in the 3rd round.  Boling, Schilling or even Boren I would like 3-4th round just to give us a little beef upfront. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

How about Brandon Harris?

Sections
Shortcuts