2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Maybe not in God's but my little corner of earth lol!  Nothing about the #1 overall?  I thought something would be said about Bowers #1 over a QB. I think we need another young talented CB, what happens if Bodden or DM go down?  I hear you about a FA but who, not really anyone worth the CB $$s now a days.  Burton is a 4 down type guy, he won the game for Utah against BYU with a blocked field goal in the last second of the game.  He's a team guy and very coaches can't say enough good things about him.  He sounds like a guy I want on the team plays like one also.
    Posted by Pats7393

Actually Pats, I think CAR would be very inclined to take Luck if he comes out.  Luck is an elite QB that only comes around every so often.  But, CAR needs a rush end too having lost Peppers.  The pick could go either way if they feel that Clausen is making improvements.  A few weeks ago I would have felt the Bills could stick with Fitzpatrick when he was in the top 5 in passer rating.  But, now he's ranked 20th in passer rating with a competition percentage of 58%.  I'm sure it isn't all his fault but I would have to think that BUF would be in the market for a top QB, Mallett perhaps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I have the Skins finishing at 6-10, tied with 4 other teams too.  I actually looked at the teams around them to project their finish because I wanted to project where OAK would finish.  The OAK pick could be as high as 9.  Right now I have WAS finishing at in the 12-13 range.  However, I have the Pats at 30 right now having us playing in the AFC Championship game.  Assuming this is how it plays out we'd have to use both our 30 (620) and 33 (580) to move up to 12 (1200).  Pick 62 is worth 284 points which only gets us up to 18.  Now we'd be talking to someone like SD, JAC, MIA or IND.  JAC has been a trading partner in the past. I think it would take a miracle to get both Watt and Kerrigan.  I'm not sure Watt is there at 9 even.  We might have to burn that 9+62 to move up to 6.  Or, we could move down a couple of spots and land Kerrigan in the 12-13 range which would be good for another 3rd round pick, likely in 2012. 
    Posted by Faucetman

i highly doubt bb will trade up for guys in this class, particularly if they get to the afc championship. that would mean the filling holes will be less urgent and the priorities will be on addressing the expring contracts via fa or this draft. in that scenario, he will trade your 30 or 33 for 2012 picks. which one really will depend on which number they will need to get their target on that pick that a vacancy that either light or mankins leaves - OL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Here's my first round mock, I don't about the order.  Got it from Bleacher Report site so might not be too accurate but shouldn't be far off.  Sorry for the ton of room it will take.  1. Carolina Panthers Da'Quan Bowers DE they give clausen one more year to grow, Bowers will replace JP. 2. Detroit Lions Patrick Peterson CB Gives the Lions a shutdown CB they lack. 3. Cincinnati Bengals Andrew Luck QB Palmer is done in Cincy, he's been terrible since his knee was blown, he's not the same QB 4. Buffalo Bills A.J. Green WR They will stick with Fitz, they give him a big target 5. Arizona Cardinals Cam Newton QB wow did I just really make him a top 10 pick??? Yes 8 in the box, single coverage on LF. 6. Dallas Cowboys Prince Amukamara CB They can use some OL help but no OL worth the 6th pik 7. Denver Broncos Marcell Dareus DE/DT They need the help stopping the run and a player to make plays in the backfield 8. San Francisco 49ers Ryan Mallett QB As the Cardinals IMO they are a QB away from been a better team 9. Minnesota Vikings Jake Locker QB they can't afford not to take a QB 10. Cleveland Browns Robert Quinn DE/OLB no brainer here, this guy will lead them in sacks 11. St. Louis Rams Julio Jones WR Bradford is looking like a all pro without a true #1 12. NE Patriots Nick Fairley DE I've been mocking Harris but if it falls this way, can we pass up Fairly?!!! 13. Seattle Seahawks Derek Sherrod OT They have 3 OL as Fas next season, they need the help all QBs off the board they wait for their QB 14. Wasn Redskins Justin Blackmon WR they give DM a WR who won't drop a pass 15. Tennessee Titans Brandon Harris CB they have a CB one fight away from suspension and another that doesn't match up well in that division with big receivers, Jenkins shutdown talent 16. Houston Texans Janoris Jenkins CB They need help in their secondary 17. San Diego Chargers Ryan Kerrigan OLB the chargers need another pass rusher, Kerrigan will help 18. Indianapolis Colts Gabe Carimi OT They begin to rebuild the OL, after Manning was hit rushed and embarrased last weekend this is a glaring need 19. Miami Dolphins Mark Ingram RB either Brown or Williams will be gone next season, they replace with Ingram. 20. Kansas City Chiefs Akeem Ayers OLB gives them anoter guy who can get to the QB, will make their D very dangerous 21. New York Giants Stephen Paea DT gives the Giants a run stopping DT who will push the middle of the pocket. 22. Jacksonville Jaguars Jeremy Beal DE Kampman gone a second year with a knee injury, Beal takes his spot at DE 23. TB Buccaneers Travis Lewis OLB Will fit right in with that Tampa 2 24. Philadelphia Eagles DeMarcus Love OT Vick needs a little help on the OL 25. Green Bay Packers JJ Watt DE BJ Raji at NT, Clay Matthews rushing and JJ Watt at DE, wow! 26. New Orleans Saints Justin Houston DE/OLB will help the Saints get some sacks 27. Chicago Bears Anthony Costanzo OT no secret here, they will pick any OT left at this point 28. Baltimore Ravens Aaron Williams CB Ravens need help at CB, Williams could start over their current CBs 29. Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Pouncey OG why not they found a C in a Pouncey y not a OG in another Pouncey? 30. New York Jets Jonathan Baldwin WR they need a DE and OLB rush LB but their 3 WRs are Fas, they have spent a ton on Fas already so won't be able to keep them all 31. Atlanta Falcons Nate Solder OT will start at LT and makes matty ice even better with an extra second to get the ball out 32. NE Patriots Brandon Burton CB still get a Brandon, instead of Harris is Burton.   His coach describes him as a lockdown CB.   He's 6'0" 190 reporterly runs 4.4.   This kid is talked about very highly about the coaching staff, any connections between BB and Utah?  He putting up numbers with QBs trying to avoid him, he's making the most from every pass thrown his way.     
    Posted by Pats7393

why feel funny about your arizona pick - newton? we all know they will be in the market for a qb. of all the QBs in this class, he's the one who could make the most impact on his first year as a QB in the nfc west. he's beaten better Ds this year than the Ds of sea and sff. he'd be unstoppable. funny but pretty plausible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I'm definitely not kidding...I do not believe Hankerson will be taken before the mid to late 3rd round...we'll have to see how it turns out in April. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm definitely not kidding...I do not believe Hankerson will be taken before the mid to late 3rd round...we'll have to see how it turns out in April. :)
    Posted by mcboyd22

Stephen Neal being placed on IR with what appears to be the same nagging shoulder injury probably means his career is over.  He hasn't been playing for a few weeks now and Connolly is taken over.  Hmm, I wonder if Mankins coming back when he did had anything to do with Neal getting hurt?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by mcboyd22

Tell you what Boyd, I'll give you any kitchen faucet or set of bathroom faucets of your choice if Hankerson isn't drafted by pick 80 which is exactly the half way point of the third round.  The only caveat is if Hankerson gets hurt before the draft and that it affects his draft status.  You don't have to wager anything in return, that's how strongly I feel you are wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I'm game....I will say he has been very productive stat-wise this year, especially compared to some of the other well regarded WR's.

Your Stephen Neal comment has me wondering why Mankins would come back to help the Patriots if he were still really angry with his contract? Just a coincidence he came back...was it the same week Neal stopped playing/practicing? I don't remember...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

What do you guys think of Rodney Hudson?  I keep steering away from him because of his size, 6-2, 284, 5.26.  But he is without a doubt the best OG in the country.  Hudson is an amazing talent and is already one of the most decorated guards in history.  Hudson plays about as error free as humanly possible.  He is technically sound as there is.  Hudson is the best pulling guard in college (something that is especially important for the Pats).  Here are some career highlights.

2010:  I'm attaching a press release. 

Nov 28, 2010
    GREENSBORO, N.C. – Florida State’s Rodney Hudson has been awarded the 2010 Jacobs Blocking Trophy, Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford announced Sunday. In doing so, Hudson, who also captured the award in 2009, becomes one of just 11 players in ACC history to be a two-time recipient of the Jacobs Trophy.

The Jacobs Blocking Trophy has been awarded annually since 1953 to the player voted the most outstanding blocker in the ACC by a poll of the league’s head coaches and defensive coordinators. The trophy is given in memory of William P. Jacobs, who served as president of Presbyterian College from 1935 to 1945. The trophy will be presented at the ACC’s Night of Legends event which will be held this Friday (6 pm) at the Charlotte Convention Center as part of festivities held around the Dr Pepper ACC Football Championship Game.

Hudson totaled 23 points, including six first-place votes, in the balloting by the coaches to outdistance Boston College senior offensive tackle Anthony Costanzo (13), Miami senior offensive tackle Orlando Franklin (12) and Clemson senior offensive tackle Chris Hairston (10) to claim his second straight Jacobs Trophy.

One of three finalists for this year’s prestigious Outland Trophy, Hudson, a 6-2, 282-pound senior from Mobile, Ala., is seeking to be one of seven players in ACC history to be honored four times with All-ACC honors. A first-team FWAA All-America in 2009, Hudson was a second-team All-ACC selection as a freshman in 2007 and earned first-team honors in 2008 and 2009. He has been the leader of a Florida State offensive line which has paved the way for the Seminoles to average almost 400 yards a game of total offense, despite a rash of injuries which forced FSU to use various starting combinations upfront this year.

Hudson, who has made 46 career starts at guard, has graded out to 87 percent this year with 44 knockdown blocks. He has been penalized only once in 772 snaps this year. He is also the only offensive lineman nominated for ACC Player of the Year by the ACC’s football coaches.

“It’s with great honor that I’ve been informed that Rodney Hudson is the Jacobs Blocking Award winner for the second consecutive year, “ said Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher. “There’s no doubt in my mind that he deserves it. He has been one of the steadiest, hardest working young men I’ve ever been associated with, along with being one of the toughest. Football is very important to him, not only to himself, but his teammates. He is a super teammate and one of the best offensive linemen and leaders that I’ve ever been associated with.”

The Mobile, Ala., native was named ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week twice during the 2010 season: first for his play on Sept. 20 against Brigham Young, in the Seminoles 34-10 win over the Cougars and then for his play on Oct. 9 in Florida State’s 45-17 win over then 13th-ranked Miami. His Player of the Week honors give him eight for his career tying former ACC standouts E.J. Henderson of Maryland, Philip Rivers of NC State and Clarkston Hines of Duke for most career Conference Player of the Week accolades.

2009:  Won the ACC Jacobs Blocking Award.  Earned FWAA All-American honors and 2nd team AP All-American.  Had 4 consecutive 90+ grades including two 97 grades against Georgia and Clemson.  Did not allow a sack or QB pressure all season. Penalized just twice all season, had just 4 missed assignments for the season and finished with 38 knockdown blocks.

2008:  Started all 13 games at LG, led team with 64 knockdown blocks and just 8 missed assignemtns in 893 snaps, less than 1%.  Had a streak of 20 games and 1,024 snaps without drawing a penalty until picking up a false start against Virginia Tech.

BB does prefer smaller, athletic guards that can pull, get on on screens and engage downfield.  If he's there at 33, we might have to pull the trigger.  PIT prefers big OG and since they have one Pouncey, they could take the other as Pats pointed out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

im sure all of our mock picks will change after we see who we sign via free agency. but with the offseason not here yet, and with a boatload of picks im confident we will fill every percieved hole we have on the team, wich is a good thing!!!

im also convinced that oline and olb are our biggest needs as of now, with warren and bodden returning i dont think there is a need for a de or cb in the first round, so im thinking a solid tackle(solder,costanzo,carimi) in the first and a olb(ayers,davis,beal) in the first round. with what looks like to be the first or second pick in the 2nd round im hoping for a guy like ryan williams to be around and devier posey to be there as well.

if we could come away with say, solder,beal,williams with the first 3 picks i would be extatic. i am hoping for jj watt/kerrigan to be in a pats uniform as well.

another scenerio im all for is trading up for aj green. immediate starter, immediate impact, would be impossible to game plan against pats with welker,green,branch,hernandez and gronk on offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAPats. Show LAPats's posts

LOVE this draft thread, thanks guys!

What are people's recommended mock draft sites?  

I know Walterfootball's good... anything else?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm game....I will say he has been very productive stat-wise this year, especially compared to some of the other well regarded WR's. Your Stephen Neal comment has me wondering why Mankins would come back to help the Patriots if he were still really angry with his contract? Just a coincidence he came back...was it the same week Neal stopped playing/practicing? I don't remember...
    Posted by mcboyd22

Mankins came back Week 9 against Cleveland, two weeks before he had to come back to get credit for the year.  Neal last played in that same Cleveland game.  I'm not sure if he hurt it the game before and gave it a go against Cleveland or not.  Prior to the Cleveland game, Connolly started every game at LG.  Mankins and Neal started the Cleveland game but Neal came out and Connolly took over at RG and has been starting there ever since. 

So, I guess we can't say Mankins came back to help the team specifically because of Neal's injury.  Mankins only said, "It was time."  It's more likely he wanted to be a part of a SB run and a chance at another ring.  Also, it was a nice gesture that maybe he hopes would reinvigorate contract talks.  Given that Neal is likely done and we are thin at OG now, I hope we can lock up Mankins because behind Mankins and Connolly we are pretty thin at OG.  I would be shocked if we don't address OG with one of our first 4 picks.  We need someone who is ready to start if needed especially if Mankins walks.  If Mankins walks, we need two OGs.

As for Hankerson, I watched most of the PITT/WV game I had previously taped last night.  One of the commentators said that Baldwin runs a 4.40.  If he is truly that fast, I'll have to move him up on my board ahead of Hankerson assuming he comes out.  But still, Hankerson goes before pick 80.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Why not JJ Watt and Ryan Kerrigan - let's get Greedy!

We do swap with Skins I identified in last above post.  If not, and JJ is gone, let's just bag Kerrigan - what say you Faucet and MB, guys?

Below from Pats Insider re OLB's evaluation

Patriots Insider's Resident Draft expert James Christensen begins his look at the 2011 Draft class with his first of many Top 5 lists. Theses are the best fit choices at the defensive end / outside linebacker position.

As the Patriots continue to eke out wins this year with a great offense and a young defense, pass-rush continues to be a part of the equation that fans want to see more of. Typically, that is going to come from the 3-4 OLB position. Here are our top five (plus one sleeper) prospects that the Patriots might be able to get their hands on this spring.

Ryan Kerrigan - Purdue

Kerrigan is a Senior with a lightning-quick first step and a motor that just won't stop. His consistent production at a school that has produced the likes of Shaun Phillips shows that he should be able to produce at a high level in the NFL as well.

He has assembled quite the repertoire of rush moves, giving slower tackles fits with dips, spins, and feints. That said, when a fleet-footed tackle is able to keep up with him, Kerrigan has the strength to go to a bull-rush.

Kerrigan gives nothing against the run either - he is truly a complete player. We will be shocked if he lasts too far into the 2nd half of the first round.

Robert Quinn - North Carolina

Quinn could easily and probably will get drafted before Ryan Kerrigan, but without playing in 2010 due to some off-the-field issues, there certainly are some risks.

Granted, Quinn has physical talent to spare. That said, it remains to be seen whether he has progressed enough mentally on the football field to be able to transition to a very complicated 3-4 system.

This [former] tarheel might be one of the biggest "boom or bust" guys to come out in a while.

Jeremy Beal - Oklahoma

Beal might be the exact opposite of Quinn. He is an incredibly solid prospect, known for his work ethic and football smarts.

Like Kerrigan, Beal stands up strong against the run, while also being able to pressure the quarterback. The Sooner relies much more heavily on the bull-rush, not having the full arsenal of rush moves that he'll need to excel at the NFL level.

If he is able to diversify his moves and counters, his length, strength, and smarts would certainly be an asset to a 3-4 system like the Patriots employ.

Aldon Smith - Missouri

Smith is a physical freak that still needs some coaching and strength work to reach his full football potential. He has got by on his motor, long body, and speed for too long.

He has one incredible rush move - the swim - but may need to diversify to keep up his production at the next level.

His strength will certainly need upgraded, as he will be out-gunned initially by some of the stronger o-linemen and tight ends in the NFL.

While there are certainly some question marks about Smith, the promise of pressure that he brings is too intriguing to cast aside without a second look at least.

Von Miller - Texas A&M

You want pass rush? Von Miller will bring you pass rush. Unfortunately, that is sometimes all that he will bring.

In the Patriots 3-4 system, he might be a situational guy, brought in on passing downs. Often times, that is seen as a negative. However, if you look at the statistics, the Patriots spend over half of their defensive snaps in some sort of sub-package.

While we question his ability to set the edge effectively in the NFL, he should be able to pressure the quarterback - which is exactly what the Patriots need. If Miller is still available in the second round, they might take a shot.

Sleeper: Dain Taylor - Drake

For us, he is this year's Austen Lane - an athletic, smart, motivated guy that will need to prove himself against the top competition. We love what we've seen out of him so far in his career: nothing but tackles, disruption, and pressure.

The Patriots seem to agree. They've made the trek to Des Moines, Iowa on at least one occasion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I have heard and seen the same things....great technician, but a bit on the light side. Would you (or others on this forum) prefer him over Moffitt, Henry, etc?

What do you guys think of Rodney Hudson?  I keep steering away from him because of his size, 6-2, 284, 5.26.  But he is without a doubt the best OG in the country.  Hudson is an amazing talent and is already one of the most decorated guards in history.  Hudson plays about as error free as humanly possible.  He is technically sound as there is.  Hudson is the best pulling guard in college (something that is especially important for the Pats).  Here are some career highlights. 2010:   I'm attaching a press release.  Nov 28, 2010 GREENSBORO, N.C. – Florida State’s Rodney Hudson has been awarded the 2010 Jacobs Blocking Trophy, Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford announced Sunday. In doing so, Hudson, who also captured the award in 2009, becomes one of just 11 players in ACC history to be a two-time recipient of the Jacobs Trophy. The Jacobs Blocking Trophy has been awarded annually since 1953 to the player voted the most outstanding blocker in the ACC by a poll of the league’s head coaches and defensive coordinators. The trophy is given in memory of William P. Jacobs, who served as president of Presbyterian College from 1935 to 1945. The trophy will be presented at the ACC’s Night of Legends event which will be held this Friday (6 pm) at the Charlotte Convention Center as part of festivities held around the Dr Pepper ACC Football Championship Game. Hudson totaled 23 points, including six first-place votes, in the balloting by the coaches to outdistance Boston College senior offensive tackle Anthony Costanzo (13), Miami senior offensive tackle Orlando Franklin (12) and Clemson senior offensive tackle Chris Hairston (10) to claim his second straight Jacobs Trophy. One of three finalists for this year’s prestigious Outland Trophy, Hudson, a 6-2, 282-pound senior from Mobile, Ala., is seeking to be one of seven players in ACC history to be honored four times with All-ACC honors. A first-team FWAA All-America in 2009, Hudson was a second-team All-ACC selection as a freshman in 2007 and earned first-team honors in 2008 and 2009. He has been the leader of a Florida State offensive line which has paved the way for the Seminoles to average almost 400 yards a game of total offense, despite a rash of injuries which forced FSU to use various starting combinations upfront this year. Hudson, who has made 46 career starts at guard, has graded out to 87 percent this year with 44 knockdown blocks. He has been penalized only once in 772 snaps this year. He is also the only offensive lineman nominated for ACC Player of the Year by the ACC’s football coaches. “It’s with great honor that I’ve been informed that Rodney Hudson is the Jacobs Blocking Award winner for the second consecutive year, “ said Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher. “There’s no doubt in my mind that he deserves it. He has been one of the steadiest, hardest working young men I’ve ever been associated with, along with being one of the toughest. Football is very important to him, not only to himself, but his teammates. He is a super teammate and one of the best offensive linemen and leaders that I’ve ever been associated with.” The Mobile, Ala., native was named ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week twice during the 2010 season: first for his play on Sept. 20 against Brigham Young, in the Seminoles 34-10 win over the Cougars and then for his play on Oct. 9 in Florida State’s 45-17 win over then 13th-ranked Miami. His Player of the Week honors give him eight for his career tying former ACC standouts E.J. Henderson of Maryland, Philip Rivers of NC State and Clarkston Hines of Duke for most career Conference Player of the Week accolades. 2009:  Won the ACC Jacobs Blocking Award.  Earned FWAA All-American honors and 2nd team AP All-American.  Had 4 consecutive 90+ grades including two 97 grades against Georgia and Clemson.  Did not allow a sack or QB pressure all season. Penalized just twice all season, had just 4 missed assignments for the season and finished with 38 knockdown blocks. 2008:  Started all 13 games at LG, led team with 64 knockdown blocks and just 8 missed assignemtns in 893 snaps, less than 1%.  Had a streak of 20 games and 1,024 snaps without drawing a penalty until picking up a false start against Virginia Tech. BB does prefer smaller, athletic guards that can pull, get on on screens and engage downfield.  If he's there at 33, we might have to pull the trigger.  PIT prefers big OG and since they have one Pouncey, they could take the other as Pats pointed out.
    Posted by Faucetman

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

For a RG, I like Henry.  I like Moffitt as a LG but if I know BB, he would love Hudson.  BB likes smaller, athletic Guards.  Wendell is just 6-2, 290 but Hudson is even lighter than that.  Like you I worry about his size.  Everything else couldn't be better but against elite NFL DL, would he be as successful?  Personally, for me, if we're sitting there in the late 20s, early 30s and Stefen Wisniewski is still sitting there, why not take him?  He can play guard for a 1-2 years until Koppen moves on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

im sure all of our mock picks will change after we see who we sign via free agency. but with the offseason not here yet, and with a boatload of picks im confident we will fill every percieved hole we have on the team, wich is a good thing!!! im also convinced that oline and olb are our biggest needs as of now, with warren and bodden returning i dont think there is a need for a de or cb in the first round, so im thinking a solid tackle(solder,costanzo,carimi) in the first and a olb(ayers,davis,beal) in the first round. with what looks like to be the first or second pick in the 2nd round im hoping for a guy like ryan williams to be around and devier posey to be there as well. if we could come away with say, solder,beal,williams with the first 3 picks i would be extatic. i am hoping for jj watt/kerrigan to be in a pats uniform as well. another scenerio im all for is trading up for aj green. immediate starter, immediate impact, would be impossible to game plan against pats with welker,green,branch,hernandez and gronk on offense.
    Posted by isurfvb35

I'm sticking with BPA vs. projecting for need, especially with a top 20 pick.  If one of the following is available with Oaklands pick, I think you see him in Foxboro next year (Fairley, Watt, Amukamara, Kerrigan, Janoris Jenkins or Julio), I don't see an OT in this class that would be considered that high at this point.  I do think OT could possibly be addressed with their other 1st rounder though with Solder and Castonzo in the mix.

I know Williams has missed 4 games this year, but he hasn't really been that impressive in the 8 games he's played in (after a monster RS freshman season) averaging 53.5 YPG and 4.5 YPC on 94 carries, going over 100 yards only once.  He does offer some versatility though. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

Demarco Murray? Titus Young? what do you guys think of these two and possible pats uni's?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Demarco Murray? Titus Young? what do you guys think of these two and possible pats uni's?
    Posted by ccusson1122

I'm not a big Murray guy (relative to his assumed draft position) and not sure he projects as a lead back in the NFL, he could be a dangerous change of pace type though.  He's probably a 2nd round prospect at this point, but I'd rather take a back capable of consistently carrying the rock 20 or so times between the tackles if I'm taking one that high.

Young's a potential big play type WR (18.3 YPC and 9 TD's on 61 catches this year) with good speed and quickness, however he does have some character issues that need to be looked into (multiple supsenstions while at BSU).  He's also not much of a blocker based on the reports I've read.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I was very impressed when I saw Titus Young's highlight video. He has very good speed, but his quickness and lateral movement are off the charts. He is a dynamic in the open field. I think at minimum he will be a very good return man in the NFL. But I think he has the potential to be a similar player to DeSean Jackson. He may not be quite as fast in straight ahead speed, but he looks to be more elusive. He's only 6'0" 175lbs. He may fall to the 3rd round. Check out his video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPM5ttLp_Qg

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Northern Illinois RB Chad Spann http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2b7G2Oocg off the radar i'd happily take him in round 4-7 or as a RFA
    Posted by ricky12684

ricky,
    After watching that vid, I'd agree that he's someone I'd love to see as a late round pick (6 or 7) or URFA.  I love his running style and his power and ability to pick up yards after contact are really impressive.  While he's not big 5-9 198 and likely won't hold up as well at the NFL level (he's not missing too many tacklers), he's the kinda kid that I'd love to have on my football team. I don't think he has round 1-4 value to the Pat's because of his size (they generally like bigger backs) which is why I have him as a late rd/URFA for them.  If he was, say 215-220, then I'd prob have him a lot higher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my first round mock, I don't about the order.  Got it from Bleacher Report site so might not be too accurate but shouldn't be far off.  Sorry for the ton of room it will take.  1. Carolina Panthers Da'Quan Bowers DE they give clausen one more year to grow, Bowers will replace JP. 2. Detroit Lions Patrick Peterson CB Gives the Lions a shutdown CB they lack. 3. Cincinnati Bengals Andrew Luck QB Palmer is done in Cincy, he's been terrible since his knee was blown, he's not the same QB 4. Buffalo Bills A.J. Green WR They will stick with Fitz, they give him a big target 5. Arizona Cardinals Cam Newton QB wow did I just really make him a top 10 pick??? Yes 8 in the box, single coverage on LF. 6. Dallas Cowboys Prince Amukamara CB They can use some OL help but no OL worth the 6th pik 7. Denver Broncos Marcell Dareus DE/DT They need the help stopping the run and a player to make plays in the backfield 8. San Francisco 49ers Ryan Mallett QB As the Cardinals IMO they are a QB away from been a better team 9. Minnesota Vikings Jake Locker QB they can't afford not to take a QB 10. Cleveland Browns Robert Quinn DE/OLB no brainer here, this guy will lead them in sacks 11. St. Louis Rams Julio Jones WR Bradford is looking like a all pro without a true #1 12. NE Patriots Nick Fairley DE I've been mocking Harris but if it falls this way, can we pass up Fairly?!!! 13. Seattle Seahawks Derek Sherrod OT They have 3 OL as Fas next season, they need the help all QBs off the board they wait for their QB 14. Wasn Redskins Justin Blackmon WR they give DM a WR who won't drop a pass 15. Tennessee Titans Brandon Harris CB they have a CB one fight away from suspension and another that doesn't match up well in that division with big receivers, Jenkins shutdown talent 16. Houston Texans Janoris Jenkins CB They need help in their secondary 17. San Diego Chargers Ryan Kerrigan OLB the chargers need another pass rusher, Kerrigan will help 18. Indianapolis Colts Gabe Carimi OT They begin to rebuild the OL, after Manning was hit rushed and embarrased last weekend this is a glaring need 19. Miami Dolphins Mark Ingram RB either Brown or Williams will be gone next season, they replace with Ingram. 20. Kansas City Chiefs Akeem Ayers OLB gives them anoter guy who can get to the QB, will make their D very dangerous 21. New York Giants Stephen Paea DT gives the Giants a run stopping DT who will push the middle of the pocket. 22. Jacksonville Jaguars Jeremy Beal DE Kampman gone a second year with a knee injury, Beal takes his spot at DE 23. TB Buccaneers Travis Lewis OLB Will fit right in with that Tampa 2 24. Philadelphia Eagles DeMarcus Love OT Vick needs a little help on the OL 25. Green Bay Packers JJ Watt DE BJ Raji at NT, Clay Matthews rushing and JJ Watt at DE, wow! 26. New Orleans Saints Justin Houston DE/OLB will help the Saints get some sacks 27. Chicago Bears Anthony Costanzo OT no secret here, they will pick any OT left at this point 28. Baltimore Ravens Aaron Williams CB Ravens need help at CB, Williams could start over their current CBs 29. Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Pouncey OG why not they found a C in a Pouncey y not a OG in another Pouncey? 30. New York Jets Jonathan Baldwin WR they need a DE and OLB rush LB but their 3 WRs are Fas, they have spent a ton on Fas already so won't be able to keep them all 31. Atlanta Falcons Nate Solder OT will start at LT and makes matty ice even better with an extra second to get the ball out 32. NE Patriots Brandon Burton CB still get a Brandon, instead of Harris is Burton.   His coach describes him as a lockdown CB.   He's 6'0" 190 reporterly runs 4.4.   This kid is talked about very highly about the coaching staff, any connections between BB and Utah?  He putting up numbers with QBs trying to avoid him, he's making the most from every pass thrown his way. 

Nice job in general Pat, but how can you project Carolina not to select AJ Green #1 overall?

Carolina has scored less points than any team in NFL!!! They need a guy to put butts in seats and create excitement and immediate juice to the O!  AJ, from neighboring state of GA is clearly the man, and after picking Jimmy Clausen just last year I can't see them going D and Bowers way.

Fairley will be the first D player off the board - likely about #5 to the sorry Bronco's.  Our first with Raider pick needs to be JJ Watt and if he is also gone as he well could be, then I am solid with MB's boy Ryan Kerrigan.

I am with Faucet on Pats later first rounder, CB is not one of our primary needs and we get an OLB here or do something with this pick to move up for  Kerrigan, if we get JJ Watt with Raider choice.  If we lost out on Watt and have already selected Kerrigan, the I want DE Bailey of the U here or Jason Crick of Nebraska.

Top choice with Carolina pick should be  best OT available, with Pats second round for OG Henry of Neb.

I would use Vikes 3re rounder for a DB choice - Johnny Patrick of Louisville, then our Pat 3rd pick for Powell RB fron same school.

Like Faucet says, we can pick up a vet FA corner for depth, we have Bodden coming back.  Darius Butler isn't to be counted out yet, and we will have perhaps Johnny Patrick or another DB in third round. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I'm not a big Murray guy (relative to his assumed draft position) and not sure he projects as a lead back in the NFL, he could be a dangerous change of pace type though.  He's probably a 2nd round prospect at this point, but I'd rather take a back capable of consistently carrying the rock 20 or so times between the tackles if I'm taking one that high. Young's a potential big play type WR (18.3 YPC and 9 TD's on 61 catches this year) with good speed and quickness, however he does have some character issues that need to be looked into (multiple supsenstions while at BSU).  He's also not much of a blocker based on the reports I've read.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I agree with you Mb.  Murray is a 3rd down back.  He excels coming out of the backfield.  He is a really good pass catcher capable of putting up big YAC.  He just doesn't impressing me running between the tackles.  We have Danny Woodhead now signed through 2012 so our need for a 3rd down back would seemed to be filled.  Murray's stock should be dropping.  If Murray and Powell are on the board when we get ready to take a RB, I'd take Powell all day long ahead of Murray.

I wasn't aware of the off-the-field issues with Titus, that being the case, might have to pass on him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

FA RB/FB Possibility Brian Leonard of Bungles?

Remember this ex-Rutgers star?  He will be available after this season and is still young, won't cost much, and could provide depth ar RB position and be useful in short yeardage and blocking situations.

I can't say much about why he has not been notable as a pro, but a lot of people tend to disappear on the Bungles and he could be a good Pats addition to backfield.

What say y'all?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I apologize in advance for the multiple long posts on the topic of OLBs.  Pretty much everyone here thinks a top need is OLB and that need should be addressed with one of our two first round picks.  I like some of these guys we've been discussing too like Kerrigan.  However, lately I've been trying to stay away from DE converson types and I now prefer KJ Wright of Miss State in the 3rd.  Here's why.  It usually takes a few years for players to develop as they learn new systems, especially coming from a 43 DE to a BB 34 OLB.  I'm a stats guy, that's no secret.  So, I decided to see how Cunningham stacks up against the DE/OLB types that were drafted ahead of him.  All of these guys were players we talked about a lot last year.  Some remained 43 DEs and some became 34 OLB.  Some remained 43 OLBs.  In any event, I think you'll find the results shocking or at least very interesting. 

B. Graham (1-13)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Eagles1312320
    on paceEagles1716430

Pierre-Paul (1-15)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Giants119220
    on paceGiants1613330

D. Morgan (1-16)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Titans00000
    Placed on IR, missed the whole season

Weatherspoon (1-19)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Falcons3227100
    on paceFalcons5950200

J. Hughes (1-31)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Colts33000
    on paceColts55000
    Missed 3 games due to injury

K. Misi (2-40)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Dolphins2416400
    on paceDolphins3523500

S. Kindle (2-43)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Ravens00000
    on paceRavens00000
    Placed on IR, fractured skull in training camp from falling down 2 flights of stairs.  Also drove his car into a dorm while in college.  Perhaps this guy has some "issues" and it's good we don't typically draft players when we see red flags.

Washington (2-57)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Cardinals4940100
    on paceCardinals7158100

J. Worlids (2-52)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Steelers22200
    on paceSteelers33300

Cunningham (2-53)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Patriots2721120
    on pacePatriots3932130

Other than Weatherspoon and Washington I would say Cunningham has statisically outperformed the players taken ahead of him in the 2010 draft.  The Falcons play the 43 so you would expect Weatherspoon as a 43 OLB to have a lot of opportunities to make tackles.  The Cardinals have Washington playing ILB in their 34 alignment.  ILB should always make more tackles than OLBs. 

Pierre-Paul and Graham are strickly DEs.  Both were drafted primarily to rush the passer.  Graham has 3 sacks, Pierre-Paul has 2 sacks.  2 of the 9 players missed the whole season due to injury.  Jerry Hughes was many people's pick here as a DE/OLB type.  He's done nothing for the Colts yet although he's missed 3 games.

There are 2 DE/OLB conversion types playing 34 OLB, Misi and Worlids.  Both have more sacks than Cunningham but neither has forced a fumble.  FFs to me are a more important stat because they lead to turnovers.  Cunningham has more tackles than either player.  Worilds to his credit doesn't see the field much since he plays behind Harrison and Woodley.

Sections
Shortcuts