2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]is saw two qtrs of the ohio-troy game today. i thought there were some receivers here who could be interesting for the 6th, 7th or even fa. moncrief has good size, speed and hands.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

we already have the best Ohio university WR in price, and how many catches has he made so far? How much playing time?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Great post, Faucet...I think you are on point with this, as well. The fun part is deciding which players might be on BB's short list.

I'm really thinking if we could pay LaMarr Woodley, that would make our options even more difficult to predict. Not sure how much it would take...and there is the possibility of them franchising Woodley...

[QUOTE]Let's say for instance that BB likes Ayers, Jenkins, Harris, Hightower, and Wilson.  He figures he should have four of these guys left on the board when the Raider pick comes up.  Let's assume the Raider pick is #16.  Knowing the needs of the teams behind him he figures he can drop back 4-5 spots and pick up a 3rd and still land one of those guys.  After doing that and if there are 3 of his guys still there, he would be willing to drop back again.  Let's say now he goes from 20 to 25.  He can pick up another 3rd and finally draft his guy. Let's say for sake of discussion that he drafts Janoris Jenkins , the CB out of Florida.  He likes Florida players as we know.  Now we move to 32/33.  If one of his guys is still there for instance Hightower or Wilson, he takes him.  Let's say it's Martez Wilson , the big, ultra fast ILB from Illinois.  BB comes out of the first round having nailed 2 of his choices a CB and a LB and he picked up 2 third rounders, picks 84 and 89. We move to Day 2 and the Pats are first on the board.  The phone has been ringing all night.  Some team will over pay.  I'm guessing we could drop back 8-10 spots and pick up a 2012 2nd.  BB has 5 more players on his board for the 2nd round.  Let's say hypothetically he likes Hankerson, Powell, Cobb, Barron and Wright.  Let's say he goes with Mark Barron after his buddy Nick Saban talks him up.  We've now addressed our biggest need on paper, our secondary, which is ranked 31st in a big way AND we gained a 2012 2nd in the process.  But, BB isn't done.  He has a pick at 64.  We get to pick 52 and one of his guys is still there, let's say it is AJ Wright , he pulls the trigger giving up 64 and 96 to take him.  He has now landed 2 of his 5 covetted players and he still has three 3rd round picks coming at 75, 84 and 89. Along comes 75 and some fool coach/GM desparate to win now to save their job gives up their 2012 2nd and their 2011 4th, pick 102.  Done.  We get to 84 and there's big John Clay sitting there.  BB wants a big back for short yardage situations and to replace Morris and Taylor, boom, he's a Patriot.  Now we are at #89.  Light signed on for 2 more years and Mankins extended for a 5 year deal but a little depth on the right side of the line would be nice.  Big Marcus Cannon , a RT in college is sitting there.  BB figures he'll kick him inside to RG and see how the competition goes with Connolly since Neal has retired. We move to Day 3 pick 102.  Austin Pettis is just hanging around waiting for his phone to ring.  Because of the depth at WR he's there a round later than he should be.  BB thinks a big tall WR might be nice to add to the roster.  Taylor Price hasn't emerged yet so let's see how Pettis looks in camp.  We move on to the last pick of the 4th round and another foolish GM puts his 2012 3rd on the table.  BB figures his cupboards are full, so why not?  He still has a pair of 6 rounders coming from the comp pick for Watson and from the Thomas trade. In summary, we pick up a pair of 2nds for 2012 and an additional 3rd.  We again have 3 seconds and 2 thirds, that's 6 picks in the top 100 AGAIN for 2012.  And, oh by the way, we drafted the following: CB Janoris Jenkins ILB Martez Wilson SS Mark Barron OLB AJ Wright RB John Clay RG Marcus Cannon WR Austin Pettis Suprisingly, we didn't address the DL.  Apparently  BB is happy getting Ty Warren back and likes the progress of his young guys.  
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

woodley will be franchised guaranteed. he will not leave pitt so don't even dream about it. him leaving pitt is equivilent to belichick letting brady leave NE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]woodley will be franchised guaranteed. he will not leave pitt so don't even dream about it. him leaving pitt is equivilent to belichick letting brady leave NE
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

I agree with your overall point and don't think Woodley leaves Pitt assuming their offer is competitive relative to others or he's franchised, but comparing to him to arguably the best QB in NFL history is a bit of a stretch to say the least.  Woodley is a good player but is replaceable, Brady is an all-time talent at his position and you're lucky to get one in a lifetime.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Like everyone, I'm bored waiting for our game.  I'm just flipping around to the Colts/Jags, Dolphins/Bills and Panthers/Arizona.

A major factor in deciding how our draft will go depends on what we do with Mankins and Light and if we add any major free agents before the draft.  Those factors will determine what directions we go.  If Mankins leaves, we have just Connolly ready as a starting OG.  BB doesn't typically draft OGs high with Mankins being the lone exception.  However, the loss of Mankins would mean IMO (absent a stud F/A replacement), that we would go after a top OG in the draft capable of starting day 1 as Mankins did.  BB will NOT wait until the late rounds to address a glaring need like this.  Case in point, BB had huge holes at CB, TE, and OLB heading into the draft and he immediately addressed those needs, 1, 2 and 3.  I would not expect BB to take a OG with the Raider pick, it would be too soon, but he may take one with either late 1st or early 2nd.  I don't think he will allow round 2 to pass without filling this need.

Our choices for OG at 32/33 are Wisniewski, Hudson and Pouncey. 
    Our choices for OG at 64 are Schilling, Moffitt, Henry, Ijalana and perhaps some OT conversion types - Watkins perhaps.  I don't think BB would consider Orlando Franklin because he tends to not want his guards over 6-4.  Hudson is small at 6-2, 285.  But consider Wendell, our top back-up OG, is also 6-2 and only 290; this means BB would not rule out Hudson.  I've written about Hudson before.  He is without a doubt the most ready to start in the NFL of any OG in college.  I personally would prefer Wisniewski but I don't think he makes it to 32.  Pouncey's experiment at C wasn't the best but as a guard, he is pretty good.  Therefore I think Pouncey would be a wise choice.  However, he could wait until 64 and land Moffitt or Henry.  I think Schilling will be gone and I worry Moffitt may not make it to 64 either.

If Matt Light chases the money and leaves, this may force us to go OT in the first round.  With the Raider pick perhaps only 1-2 of the top OTs would be gone.  I think Castonzo and Solder are the best two OTs.  Carimi and Sherrod would be my 3rd and 4th choice.  Teams are always looking for tackles so to think one of these guys would last to 32 is a stretch.  However, we have Vollmer who could move to LT and we have Kaczur coming back.  We could opt to hold off and maybe add a RT later on.  I don't favor that option because you always want to have two guys who can play LT at a high level.  

So, what this all means to me is if we lose both Light and Mankins we should go with Carimi with the Raider pick then Pouncey at 32/33. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Woodley had expressed some displeasure with the fact the Steelers wouldn't talk contract before the season. I agree, he probably will be taken care of by the Steelers, but they are pretty financially savvy, and I don't think its "guaranteed" as you stated.

[QUOTE]woodley will be franchised guaranteed. he will not leave pitt so don't even dream about it. him leaving pitt is equivilent to belichick letting brady leave NE
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I like JJ Watt as much as anyone on this board, but I don't see him anywhere, on almost any draft board sniffing the top 20-25. I don't know if this is because as you said he is a junior, but there's not a ton of analysis on him that I can find anywhere. In the 2 game I saw him play, he seems worthy of at least a top 20 selection, especially given all the teams playing 3-4 nowadays, and you don't run across a kid of his size, strength and speed very often. I would love us taking him with Oaklands pick. I woudl rather take Watts at whatever Oaklands pick is rather than Harris with that same pick. We have been yearning for a stud 3-4 DE for a long time now, same with OLB. I think between the rest of the draft and FA, we can round out the secondary. Agree on Martez. He has ideal size, speed for a 3-4 OLB based on BB's standards. He seems a bit thin in the legs/butt (like Crable), and I question his ability to play the run...I do think he can do pretty much everything else you would want a 3-4 oLB to do however. I wouldn't want him inside. I really like Spikes in that role as the agressor. I don't think Martez plays wiht the same physical style or could hold up as well inside as Spikes. I would rather play him outside because of his speed, drops into coverage well, and can rush the passere too. I'm fine with Mayo, Guyton, Spikes inside as a rotation.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    You find Watt being mocked by a lot of people going in the first round.  I posted a few of those mocks previously on this thread.  Some draft sites don't think Watt is coming out, and a lot of draft sites don't start putting draft underclassmen in their ratings until the player declares.  One site, Condraft, does rate most draft eligible players until they don't declare.  They have Watt in the top 10.

After more consideration, I don't think BB will do much at the LB position in the draft.  Most of you will disagree with me but I think he's happy with Mayo and Spikes in the middle with Guyton backing up and I think he's satisfied with the progress of Cunningham.  I don't know how he feels about Ninkovich but he obviously likes Fletcher to have him on the 53 man roster as an UDFA.  Personally, I'd like to add 1 OLB to upgrade Ninkovich but not sure BB feels the same way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Like everyone, I'm bored waiting for our game.  I'm just flipping around to the Colts/Jags, Dolphins/Bills and Panthers/Arizona. A major factor in deciding how our draft will go depends on what we do with Mankins and Light and if we add any major free agents before the draft.  Those factors will determine what directions we go.  If Mankins leaves, we have just Connolly ready as a starting OG.  BB doesn't typically draft OGs high with Mankins being the lone exception.  However, the loss of Mankins would mean IMO (absent a stud F/A replacement), that we would go after a top OG in the draft capable of starting day 1 as Mankins did.  BB will NOT wait until the late rounds to address a glaring need like this.  Case in point, BB had huge holes at CB, TE, and OLB heading into the draft and he immediately addressed those needs, 1, 2 and 3.  I would not expect BB to take a OG with the Raider pick, it would be too soon, but he may take one with either late 1st or early 2nd.  I don't think he will allow round 2 to pass without filling this need. Our choices for OG at 32/33 are Wisniewski, Hudson and Pouncey.  Our choices for OG at 64 are Schilling, Moffitt, Henry, Ijalana and perhaps some OT conversion types - Watkins perhaps.  I don't think BB would consider Orlando Franklin because he tends to not want his guards over 6-4.  Hudson is small at 6-2, 285.  But consider Wendell, our top back-up OG, is also 6-2 and only 290; this means BB would not rule out Hudson.  I've written about Hudson before.  He is without a doubt the most ready to start in the NFL of any OG in college.  I personally would prefer Wisniewski but I don't think he makes it to 32.  Pouncey's experiment at C wasn't the best but as a guard, he is pretty good.  Therefore I think Pouncey would be a wise choice.  However, he could wait until 64 and land Moffitt or Henry.  I think Schilling will be gone and I worry Moffitt may not make it to 64 either. If Matt Light chases the money and leaves, this may force us to go OT in the first round.  With the Raider pick perhaps only 1-2 of the top OTs would be gone.  I think Castonzo and Solder are the best two OTs.  Carimi and Sherrod would be my 3rd and 4th choice.  Teams are always looking for tackles so to think one of these guys would last to 32 is a stretch.  However, we have Vollmer who could move to LT and we have Kaczur coming back.  We could opt to hold off and maybe add a RT later on.  I don't favor that option because you always want to have two guys who can play LT at a high level.   So, what this all means to me is if we lose both Light and Mankins we should go with Carimi with the Raider pick then Pouncey at 32/33. 

I could see this possibly happening, but we can't let it. we have to sign either one of the 2, or preferably both of them to contracts. Light to a short term one, and Mankins we need to wrap him up forever. Light may actually hold more leverage than Mankins given how important the LT position is in football. God knows there are plenty of teams that could use a starting caliber LT, and they might come calling.

I would hate to use my 2 first rounders on the Oline. I think we need to significantly upgrade the Dline. I like you Faucet could see BB standing pat with his LB's. After all, they do have decent production, and give Spikes, Cunningham, Fletcher another year in the system, and they will be that much better. But, that said, we'll still lack an adequate pass rush. This needs to be corrected next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I could see this possibly happening, but we can't let it. we have to sign either one of the 2, or preferably both of them to contracts. Light to a short term one, and Mankins we need to wrap him up forever. Light may actually hold more leverage than Mankins given how important the LT position is in football. God knows there are plenty of teams that could use a starting caliber LT, and they might come calling. I would hate to use my 2 first rounders on the Oline. I think we need to significantly upgrade the Dline. I like you Faucet could see BB standing pat with his LB's. After all, they do have decent production, and give Spikes, Cunningham, Fletcher another year in the system, and they will be that much better. But, that said, we'll still lack an adequate pass rush. This needs to be corrected next year.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    I hadn't really considered it before now but we will have the franchise tag to use and there are only two possible choices, Light or Mankins to use it on.  The cost to tag an OL last year was $8.5MM.  Light isn't worth it, Mankins is.  So, we will not lose both of these guys.  Take that to the bank!!  Once Mankins is tagged, hopefully the sides can then hammer out a long term extension that makes sense.

Matt Light will absolutely be a hot commodity in the off season.  He will only be 32.  He will want a final big contract and probably 3-4 years.  I don't see the Pats giving that too him.  Some team will.   But Light has been here forever and he might give us a hometown discount to stay.  Other than Brady, he is the only remaining player from all 3 Super Bowls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

About the draft pecking order how does it go?

I remember when Tom was out the whole year Pats went 11-5 and did not make the playoffs. Clubs like SD and others made it with worse records, just because they won their weak divisions.  I seem to recall the NFL owners did something to adjust this inequity a year or two later. 

My question is this as relates to us getting Oakland's #1 next year - which looks like a somewhat disappointing #15 or so overall (I see Raiders losing out to Indy and Chiefs at Arrowhead for 7W - 9L season).  Would Pats with Raider's pick - draft ahead of NFC West or other division-winner with a worse or equal record?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]About the draft pecking order how does it go? I remember when Tom was out the whole year Pats went 11-5 and did not make the playoffs. Clubs like SD and others made it with worse records, just because they won their weak divisions.  I seem to recall the NFL owners did something to adjust this inequity a year or two later.  My question is this as relates to us getting Oakland's #1 next year - which looks like a somewhat disappointing #15 or so overall (I see Raiders losing out to Indy and Chiefs at Arrowhead for 7W - 9L season).  Would Pats with Raider's pick - draft ahead of NFC West or other division-winner with a worse or equal record?
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]
    The Raiders pick would be determined by record using the tie breaker system applied for Wild Card when comparing them to the NFC west.  This means teams that fail to make the play-offs pick in inverse order of their record followed by play-off teams.  Below are the rules, teams tied then reverse their draft order in subsequent rounds...

First Round

• If there is an expansion team, they select first. If there is more than one expansion team, a coin flip determines who picks first.

• If there are no expansion teams, the team with the lowest winning percentage at the end of the previous season drafts first in the NFL Draft

Non-Playoff Teams

• All other teams that fail to make the playoffs are then placed in order from lowest winning percentage to the highest. (For teams with identical records, see tiebreakers below.)

Playoff Teams

• Next come the teams who were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, placed in order from lowest winning percentage to the highest (based on regular-season record), followed by those eliminated in the second round, again placed in order from lowest winning percentage to highest.

• After the above teams are placed, the losers of the conference championship games take the next two spots with the team with the lowest winning percentage during the regular season placed ahead of the other.

• The Super Bowl loser drafts next to last.

• The Super Bowl winner drafts last.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet I love our young OLBs, but I can count 3 of them, not the 4 we really need.  I think it is still a strong need.  Plus we are an injury away from backups that barely make a team playing or guys that are specialists.  I think we need 1 more high end pick at that position.  Plus this year seems to have several guys that fit the mold and talent we look for.  I am still very high on Kerrigan. 
    I look at the other 3-4 teams that have great Ds and see them adding OLBs and depth much more often than we do at that position.  They also seem to never be without their next great OLB in that line like in Pitt.  I would love to see that here. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Our draft order remains largely unchanged even with CAR and OAK winning.

16, 32, 33, 64, 76, 96

My hope of landing a stud 34 DE are fading.  I just put this together based on who I think are the best 34 DE prospects for our system.

#1 Nick Fairley 6-4, 306, 4.92 (Undeclared)
    #2 JJ Watt 6-6, 292, 4.87 (Undeclared)
    #3 Marcell Dareus 6-3, 309, 4.95 (Undeclared)
    #4 Adrian Clayborn 6-3, 286, 4.79
    #5 Cameron Heyward 6-5, 288, 4.92
    #6 Allen Bailey 6-3, 288, 4.79
    #7 Christain Ballard 6-4, 298, 4.86
    #8 Jared Crick 6-6, 285, 4.96 (Undeclared)
    #9 Marvin Austin 6-3, 310, 4.96
    #10 Jarvis Jenkins, 6-4, 315, 4.98

Clayborn is a bit smallish but he's quick, same with Bailey.  Heyward and Crick have the frames to add some weight.  I'm not sure all of these guys would be considered by us.  What do you guys think of the order and did I leave anyone out?  I considered Siliga and Jordan.

Assuming we miss out on the top 3 or 4 guys would we take Heyward at 32 for example?  Does he upgrade Deaderick?  Anyone less than 290 would be questionable.  I worry about Mike Wright.  He's been out a long time for a concussion.  He can't make it through a season and I have to wonder if his days in NE are over.  I don't think we spent a top 3 pick on a back-up so if we miss out on the top 3-4 guys perhaps we don't address DL until later.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet I love our young OLBs, but I can count 3 of them, not the 4 we really need.  I think it is still a strong need.  Plus we are an injury away from backups that barely make a team playing or guys that are specialists.  I think we need 1 more high end pick at that position.  Plus this year seems to have several guys that fit the mold and talent we look for.  I am still very high on Kerrigan.  I look at the other 3-4 teams that have great Ds and see them adding OLBs and depth much more often than we do at that position.  They also seem to never be without their next great OLB in that line like in Pitt.  I would love to see that here. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    You mentioned MB's boy, Kerrigan.  I think a 43 team takes him before our Raider pick.  To use one of our top 3 picks on an OLB, we have to be pretty certain the player can beat out the guys we have.  Who else do you see that would upgrade Cunningham and/or Ninkovich?  Guys here love Justin Houston but he's pretty raw.  It takes time for 34 OLBs, especially those that haven't played in our system, to grasp the complexity of the system.  You need more than the physical stuff.  Besides the physical and mental side of the position, you need reps.  To be honest, I don't see any player that fits BB's criteria for the position that steps in here day 1 and takes over as a starter.  Even Kerrigan would need time to learn the position. 

There are some guys I think have the physical attributes that could grow into the position worthy of consideration at 32/33; guys like Ayers, Houston, Wilson, and Hightower, but the later two are ILBs.   

This is why I favor waiting until pick 64 or perhaps a slight trade up to take a guy who has at least played OLB - KJ Wright for example.  I don't think Wright starts right away but as you mentioned, we are short one player although BB has used Guyton at OLB at times.  Sam Acho could be a guy we look at for 96.  As I pointed out before, it often takes 34 OLBs 3-4 years before they finally produce to the level you want.  I think Fletcher is flashing and he could very well develop into the rush OLB we want.  He had a key sack last night and came close at least one other time.  

I don't know that another young unproven draft pick that has never played OLB could come in here and improve our defense in the first 2 years, let alone first year.  I'd rather make those first 3 picks safe picks, picks that quickly start and contribute.  Meriweather just doesn't get it, so there is a need at FS that may trump OLB.  If we can't improve the DL, then we should go OL with at least one of our top 3 picks, FS or perhaps CB (as many suggest) with another.  Then trade down and perhaps get an OLB mid 50s. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Another observation from last night was the success GB's big bruiser RB, Kuhn, had against us.  That's twice now we got run over by a big back.  I wish we had that element to our offense.  It doesn't have to be John Clay.  I'd be happy with a Keith Payne with our 6th comp pick or as an UDFA. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

its never too early for mock drafts, however I havent really put too much into it yet myself, with the season still going and all........

but I agree with soem previous posts, your mocks are good stuff

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Just a thought.  What if we grabbed a FA ORT like Tyson Clabo from Atlanta? 
    Here is his info:  He is bigger than we normally take, but solid, sturdy, did a great job on Clay M.  and is a FA after this year

Tyson Clabo

Offensive Tackle

www.atlantafalcons.com/wp-content/themes/falcons02/images/photo_glass_161x107.png" alt="" />

TRANSACTIONS

Originally signed by the Denver as an undrafted rookie free agent on April 26, 2004. Waived by the Broncos on September 5. Signed by the New York Giants practice squad on September 7. Released from the Giants practice squad on September 21. Signed to the San Diego practice squad on October 5. Released by the Chargers on October 11. Signed by the Broncos on December 21. Allocated to the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europa. Waived by the Denver on September 3, 2005. Signed to the Falcons practice squad on September 21, 2005 and was re-signed by the Falcons on January 2, 2006.

CAREER

A versatile lineman that has seen extensive action in his first four years with the Falcons, starting 53 career games.

2009 (FALCONS)

Started at right tackle in all 16 contests and was part of an offensive line that guided a Falcons rushing attack to a 117.3 yards per game average. Part of an offensive line that did not allow a sack against Carolina (9/20) as quarterback Matt Ryan threw for a career-high three touchdown passes. Member of an offensive line that did not allow a sack on 41 pass attempts. Part of an offensive unit that produced a season-high 183 total rushing yards at Tampa Bay (1/3).

COLLEGE

Started the final 36 games of his college career and a total of 37 contests of 47 games played at Wake Forest. Earned first-team All-Atlantic Conference honors as a senior. Started all 13 games as a junior and moved to left guard after playing tackle in 2001, helping the Deacon ground game lead the ACC in rushing for the second-straight year. Started all 11 games at left tackle as a sophomore as he was the only underclassman to start every contest that year.

PERSONAL

Versatile athlete who lettered in football and basketball at Farragut (TN) High School. A three-year starter on the football team at offensive guard and tackle, he earned all-conference honors as a junior and senior.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, I agree with what u say about BBs OLBs.  The problem is if we never get one, we never see the improvement.  We have all seen the posts that BB never does this or that with examples being taking an OL in the 1st, then it was a LB.  He tends to shock us just when we think we have it figured out.  I think part of the reason we defensively declined was we never did take a guy to develop.  We dont have the continuity at the position that is sooooo very important to us, OLB.  Do I think any OLB we grab is going to unseat TBC or Ninkovich? not right away.  But if they do go down, we have a guy with a higher base level of skill to plug in. In Pitt, my favorite example of OLB drafting, they never play their rookie year as a starter, barring injury.    I do see Cunningham as a future solid OLB.  I would like to find and develop his bookend.  Keep Nink as our coverage guy, and TBC as a pass rush specialist. 
    I can see Kerrigan getting grabbed by a 3-4 team, I am just hoping he doesnt.  Just like my fingers are crossed on Watt at this point.  Add a solid OT and or C/OG and I am thrilled with our top 4 picks.  Rb in the 3rd to 4th, trade the Minn 3rd for a 2nd next year and I am good to go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

1st round mock, bunch of 5-9 teams.  I probably don't have them in the right order but here it goes, looks like right now Pats (oakland) pick is 16.

Light signs a 1 or 2yr extension and ends his career a Patriot
    Mankins after franchised finds a way to get a long term deal, if not Connolly is the LG and will need a RG but hope is Mankins.  He means too much to the OL, they play tougher with him there.

1. Carolina Panthers 2-12
    Andrew Luck QB, Clausen is not working out, they don't pass up a star quality prospect, plus it will be a new coaching staff.
    2. Cincinnati Bengals 3-11
    Da'Quan Bowers DE They are as bad as it comes getting to the QB, Bowers will make a big impact as rookie.  They could also go QB here.
    3. Denver Broncos 3-11
    Patrick Peterson CB Their secondary is bad and getting older, Peterson starts day one.
    4. Buffalo Bills 4-10
    A.J. Green WR They could elect to stick with Fitz, Green gives him a talented WR to go with what's already an underated group. 
    5. Arizona Cardinals 4-10
    Ryan Mallett QB As the Cardinals IMO they are a QB away from been a better team
    6. Detroit Lions 4-10
    Prince Amukamara CB They can use some OL help but no OL worth the 6th pick.  Their D keeps getting better.
    7. Washington Redskins 5-9
    Cam Newton QB with the benching of DM the skins are playing for a better draft spot to get their QB of the future
    8. Cleveland Browns 5-9
    Justin Blackmon WR They give Colt a big time WR to go along with their running game
    9. Minnesota Vikings 5-9
    Jake Locker QB they can't afford not to take a QB, they might make a play for DM but I believe they draft a young QB with a new coaching staff
    10. San Francisco 49ers 5-9
    Robert Quinn DE/OLB no brainer here, this guy will lead them in sacks
    11. Dallas Cowboys 5-9
    Nick Fairley DE I believe they go after Julio Jones, they could be without UFA Austin Miles but I think Fairley is too good to pass up.
    12. Houston Texans 5-9
    Rahim Moore S The Texans needs a many but a backend DB is a must, Moore could be a slight reach at 12 but he's the playmaker they need at safety.
    13. Seattle Seahawks 6-8
    Derek Sherrod OT They have 3 OL as Fas next season, they need the help all QBs off the board they wait for their QB
    14. Tennessee Titans 6-8
    Janoris Jenkins CB They need help in their secondary, they would love a QB but they are all gone by this point
    15. Miami Dolphins 7-7
    Mark Ingram RB either Brown or Williams will be gone next season, they replace either or even both with Ingram.
    16. New England Patriots (via Raiders 7-7)
    JJ Watt DE With a bunch of average players Watt gives them a rook who develops into an everydown DE
    17. San Diego Chargers 8-6
    Ryan Kerrigan OLB the chargers need another pass rusher, Kerrigan will help
    18. Jacksonville Jaguars 8-6
    Von Miller OLB They start to build that front 7
    19. Green Bay Packers 8-6
    Brandon Harris CB They get younger in their secondary
    20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8-6
    Akeem Ayers DE Will help TB come after the QB
    21. St. Louis Rams 6-8
    Julio Jones WR Jones gives them a big play big time WR.
    22. Indianapolis Colts 8-6
    Nate Solder OT Their OL is getting old and not playing well, they need to get younger before allow Manning to get killed
    23. Chicago Bears 9-6
    Marcel Dareus DT they can go either DL or OL, Dareus is a top 10 in some mocks
    24. New York Jets 10-4
    Jonathan Baldwin WR They need OL help and DL help but with both their star WRs as Fas they can't afford to get Sanskirt a playmaker 
    25. Pittsburgh Steelers 9-5
    Mike Pouncey OG why not they found a C in a Pouncey y not a OG in another Pouncey?
    26. New York Giants 9-5
    Cameron Jordan DT they have great Des to their interior DL
    27. New Orleans Saints 10-4
    Anthony Costanzo OT no secret here, they will pick any OT left at this point
    28. Baltimore Ravens 10-4
    Jimmy Smith CB Their complete D is looking slow and not as dominant as they once were part of that is sub play from their secondary. Reed can't be everywhere
    29. Kansas City Chiefs 9-5
    Jeremy Beal OLB MV's replacement he's not getting any younger
    30. Philadelphia Eagles 10-4
    Gabe Carimi OT Will help Vick stay clean and get even better as a passer
    31. Atlanta Falcons 12-2
    Rodney Hudson OG They are solid across the board, if Hudson can add some weight he will be a very good OG
    32. NE Patriots 12-2
    Aldon Smith OLB His name is not well known YET, big question is does he comeout as a red shirt softmore.  If he does he will be a 1st rounder.  Incredible first step and non stop motor.  Has a ton of upside, uses his speed to beat OT can add moves.
    33. NE Patriots 12-2
    Deunta Williams FS Williams (a converted WR) is a ballhawk who loves studying film and being coached.  He is a leader and selfless team mate.  (here's my shot) he's everything Merri is not and is not what Merri is!
    64. NE Patriots 12-2
    Johnny Patrick CB This guy can play man or zone, he is a sure tackler and has above average speed to go along with excellent instincts.
    3rd rnd. NE Patriots 12-2 (Min)
    Stephen Schilling OG Better at pass protection than run blocking, he has room to add some lbs.  Will need to improve run blocking but should be a solid starter.
    3rd rnd. ANE Patriots 12-2
    Marcus Gilbert OT BB goes into the Pats minor league team, the FL Gators.  Gilbert has been productive and is able to do what Pats like to do with their OL.  He can pass protect as well as pull.  He's been productive run blocking against very good DLs in the SEC.  
    4th rnd. NE Patriots 12-2
    Anthony Allen RB This guys is a freight train (6'0" 230lbs), but can run over people or take it outside and run away from people.  He plays at GT so I believe he won't get all the media because of the style of O he plays in. 
    5th rnd. NE Patriots 12-2
    Armand Robinson WR Good route runner with very quick feet and speed to go over the top of Ds.  He probably needs time to develop into an all around NFL WR but has the upside to be a very good #2 or even a Branch type #1a or b.
    6th rnd. NE Patriots 12-2
    Andrew Jackson OL He's beeing compared to Mankins not only because he's from Fresno State.  He plays with the same mean streak as Mankins and is the same type player.  Has played every position other than C.  Not saying he's as good, but could worth a shot to bring this guy in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Another observation from last night was the success GB's big bruiser RB, Kuhn, had against us.  That's twice now we got run over by a big back.  I wish we had that element to our offense.  It doesn't have to be John Clay.  I'd be happy with a Keith Payne with our 6th comp pick or as an UDFA. 

Or Robert Hughes the 5-11 245 bruiser from ND in the same range.  Either way, I agree, there is no one on the NE roster that is cut out for that role.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Another observation from last night was the success GB's big bruiser RB, Kuhn, had against us.  That's twice now we got run over by a big back.  I wish we had that element to our offense.  It doesn't have to be John Clay.  I'd be happy with a Keith Payne with our 6th comp pick or as an UDFA. 

I don't think he ran over anyone. He jumped over everyone and the one time he didn't jump he got stuffed short of the goal line.

If someone wanted to add a bruising back element to the team thats one thing but if you did then i want him bruising and punishing people not jumping over them.

Jumping and leaping has a much higher likelihood of putting a back in position to have a fumble the Patriots did not do a very good job tackling him or in general last night.

Heck Arrington ran thorugh more people and broke more tackles on his pick-6 than that GB back did all night I think.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]1st round mock, bunch of 5-9 teams.  I probably don't have them in the right order but here it goes, looks like right now Pats (oakland) pick is 16. Light signs a 1 or 2yr extension and ends his career a Patriot Mankins after franchised finds a way to get a long term deal, if not Connolly is the LG and will need a RG but hope is Mankins.  He means too much to the OL, they play tougher with him there. 1. Carolina Panthers 2-12 Andrew Luck QB, Clausen is not working out, they don't pass up a star quality prospect, plus it will be a new coaching staff. 2. Cincinnati Bengals 3-11 Da'Quan Bowers DE They are as bad as it comes getting to the QB, Bowers will make a big impact as rookie.   They could also go QB here. 3. Denver Broncos 3-11 Patrick Peterson CB Their secondary is bad and getting older, Peterson starts day one. 4. Buffalo Bills 4-10 A.J. Green WR They could elect to stick with Fitz, Green gives him a talented WR to go with what's already an underated group.   5. Arizona Cardinals 4-10 Ryan Mallett QB As the Cardinals IMO they are a QB away from been a better team 6. Detroit Lions 4-10 Prince Amukamara CB They can use some OL help but no OL worth the 6th pick.   Their D keeps getting better. 7. Washington Redskins 5-9 Cam Newton QB with the benching of DM the skins are playing for a better draft spot to get their QB of the future 8. Cleveland Browns 5-9 Justin Blackmon WR They give Colt a big time WR to go along with their running game 9. Minnesota Vikings 5-9 Jake Locker QB they can't afford not to take a QB, they might make a play for DM but I believe they draft a young QB with a new coaching staff 10. San Francisco 49ers 5-9 Robert Quinn DE/OLB no brainer here, this guy will lead them in sacks 11. Dallas Cowboys 5-9 Nick Fairley DE I believe they go after Julio Jones, they could be without UFA Austin Miles but I think Fairley is too good to pass up. 12. Houston Texans 5-9 Rahim Moore S The Texans needs a many but a backend DB is a must, Moore could be a slight reach at 12 but he's the playmaker they need at safety. 13. Seattle Seahawks 6-8 Derek Sherrod OT They have 3 OL as Fas next season, they need the help all QBs off the board they wait for their QB 14. Tennessee Titans 6-8 Janoris Jenkins CB They need help in their secondary, they would love a QB but they are all gone by this point 15. Miami Dolphins 7-7 Mark Ingram RB either Brown or Williams will be gone next season, they replace either or even both with Ingram. 16. New England Patriots (via Raiders 7-7) JJ Watt DE With a bunch of average players Watt gives them a rook who develops into an everydown DE 17. San Diego Chargers 8-6 Ryan Kerrigan OLB the chargers need another pass rusher, Kerrigan will help 18. Jacksonville Jaguars 8-6 Von Miller OLB They start to build that front 7 19. Green Bay Packers 8-6 Brandon Harris CB They get younger in their secondary 20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8-6 Akeem Ayers DE Will help TB come after the QB 21. St. Louis Rams 6-8 Julio Jones WR Jones gives them a big play big time WR. 22. Indianapolis Colts 8-6 Derek Sherrod OT Their OL is getting old and not playing well, they need to get younger before allow Manning to get killed 23. Chicago Bears 9-6 Marcel Dareus DT they can go either DL or OL, Dareus is a top 10 in some mocks 24. New York Jets 10-4 Jonathan Baldwin WR They need OL help and DL help but with both their star WRs as Fas they can't afford to get Sanskirt a playmaker   25. Pittsburgh Steelers 9-5 Mike Pouncey OG why not they found a C in a Pouncey y not a OG in another Pouncey? 26. New York Giants 9-5 Cameron Jordan DT they have great Des to their interior DL 27. New Orleans Saints 10-4 Anthony Costanzo OT no secret here, they will pick any OT left at this point 28. Baltimore Ravens 10-4 Jimmy Smith CB Their complete D is looking slow and not as dominant as they once were part of that is sub play from their secondary. Reed can't be everywhere 29. Kansas City Chiefs 9-5 Jeremy Beal OLB MV's replacement he's not getting any younger 30. Philadelphia Eagles 10-4 Nate Solder OT Will help Vick stay clean and get even better as a passer 31. Atlanta Falcons 12-2 Rodney Hudson OG They are solid across the board, if Hudson can add some weight he will be a very good OG 32. NE Patriots 12-2 Aldon Smith OLB His name is not well known YET, big question is does he comeout as a red shirt softmore.   If he does he will be a 1st rounder.   Incredible first step and non stop motor.   Has a ton of upside, uses his speed to beat OT can add moves. 33. NE Patriots 12-2 Deunta Williams FS Williams (a converted WR) is a ballhawk who loves studying film and being coached.   He is a leader and selfless team mate.   (here's my shot) he's everything Merri is not and is not what Merri is! 64. NE Patriots 12-2 Johnny Patrick CB This guy can play man or zone, he is a sure tackler and has above average speed to go along with excellent instincts. 3rd rnd. NE Patriots 12-2 (Min) Stephen Schilling OG Better at pass protection than run blocking, he has room to add some lbs.   Will need to improve run blocking but should be a solid starter. 3rd rnd. ANE Patriots 12-2 Marcus Gilbert OT BB goes into the Pats minor league team, the FL Gators.   Gilbert has been productive and is able to do what Pats like to do with their OL.   He can pass protect as well as pull.   He's been productive run blocking against very good DLs in the SEC.    4th rnd. NE Patriots 12-2 Anthony Allen RB This guys is a freight train (6'0" 230lbs), but can run over people or take it outside and run away from people.   He plays at GT so I believe he won't get all the media because of the style of O he plays in.   5th rnd. NE Patriots 12-2 Armand Robinson WR Good route runner with very quick feet and speed to go over the top of Ds.   He probably needs time to develop into an all around NFL WR but has the upside to be a very good #2 or even a Branch type #1a or b. 6th rnd. NE Patriots 12-2 Andrew Jackson OL He's beeing compared to Mankins not only because he's from Fresno State.   He plays with the same mean streak as Mankins and is the same type player.   Has played every position other than C.   Not saying he's as good, but could worth a shot to bring this guy in.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Pats, good job, but you have Sherrod going to both Seattle and Colts!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Pats, good job, but you have Sherrod going to both Seattle and Colts!
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]

Sure did, thanks moved the OTs around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet, I agree with what u say about BBs OLBs.  The problem is if we never get one, we never see the improvement.  We have all seen the posts that BB never does this or that with examples being taking an OL in the 1st, then it was a LB.  He tends to shock us just when we think we have it figured out.  I think part of the reason we defensively declined was we never did take a guy to develop.  We dont have the continuity at the position that is sooooo very important to us, OLB.  Do I think any OLB we grab is going to unseat TBC or Ninkovich? not right away.  But if they do go down, we have a guy with a higher base level of skill to plug in. In Pitt, my favorite example of OLB drafting, they never play their rookie year as a starter, barring injury.    I do see Cunningham as a future solid OLB.  I would like to find and develop his bookend.  Keep Nink as our coverage guy, and TBC as a pass rush specialist.  I can see Kerrigan getting grabbed by a 3-4 team, I am just hoping he doesnt.  Just like my fingers are crossed on Watt at this point.  Add a solid OT and or C/OG and I am thrilled with our top 4 picks.  Rb in the 3rd to 4th, trade the Minn 3rd for a 2nd next year and I am good to go.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    BB has used free agency much more than the draft to acquire OLBs.   He acquired free agents Roman Phiferand Mike Vrabel in 2001, Rosevelt Colvinin 2003, and Adalius Thomas in 2007.  In 2009, He traded for Derrick Burgess.  He also signed free agent Tully Banta-Cainin 2009 after SF released him and he signed Rob Ninkovichin 2009.  Other than Vrabel and Ninkovich, these were fairly major acquisitions of known veterans with several having been to the Pro Bowl.  Vrabel was a pleasant surprise while Thomas and Burgess were disappointments.  The point is BB more often looks for F/A veterans at the OLB position as opposed to developing a young draft pick.

Last year as we know he drafted Cunningham in the 2nd.  He also signed Dane Fletcher as an UDFA.  After one season, it is impossible to think either player has reached their full potential.  Prior to the last draft he drafted Shawn Crable as an OLB in the 3rd round of the 2008 draft.  Crable was a bust.  I am not aware of any other OLBs taken in the 4th round or higher in the BB era.  It could be there hasn't been a need until recently for drafting OLBs.  You're right, just when we think we have BB figured out, he fools us. 

Still, we don't know how BB feels about his current crop of OLBs and if he feels there is anyone in the draft he thinks would do better.  I think it more likely for him to go after another veteran OLB if he feels he needs an upgrade vs. spending a high draft pick.  That's why I favor KJ Wright in the mid 50s or so.  He's 6-3, 250 and runs a 4.60.  This puts him right there with our other OLBs but faster.

We do know BB very much values his DL and has invested three first round picks there over the years.  Since the whole D is dependent upon the front three, I would think there would be a higher likelihood that he would want to fix the DL before drafting another OLB.  In watching any of the games when we only rush 3, we get ZERO pressure.

Sections
Shortcuts