2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Thanks Kyle, you're a gentleman.  I was just checking in before going to bed.  I see you made an 80 mock, will check it out in detail tomorrow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Greg Romeus. Anybody still like him as a prospect Knee and back injuries, but he was right there with Clayborn and Quinn in the pre-season rankings. Only played 1 year of high school also. 64 would be a good spot for him, imo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Reamer,

I haven't seen Wilkerson play.  Playing in the MAC means you don't get the attention.  But you're right in that he has the measurebles and production to be worthy of discussion.  He has solid stats but his 11 sacks came against poor competition.  He had 2 sacks against Central Michigan, 1 against Army, 3 against Buffalo, 3 against Kent State and one against Miami (Ohio).  I look at what he did against good teams.  He had 2 tackles and no sacks against UCONN.  He had 9 tackles and no sacks against Penn State, so that's encouraging because he probably went up against the top Center in college in that game.  Good call on him in terms of he should be in the discussion for 64 or later if we don't address the position earlier. 

I've seen McPhee quite a few times while scouting KJ Wright and Chris White.  He's a player but at 6-3, 285 he's kinda on an island for a 34 team unfortunately.  He's too big to be an OLB and too small for a DE so I haven't been talking about him.  At best he'd be a situational player for us and not worthy of a 3rd round pick.  I think you are correct in that he's a 3rd round talent but for a 43 team as a DE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]Greg Romeus. Anybody still like him as a prospect Knee and back injuries, but he was right there with Clayborn and Quinn in the pre-season rankings. Only played 1 year of high school also. 64 would be a good spot for him, imo
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

May be an opportunity to buy low on the kid assuming they're comfortable with his injuries/injury history.  Getting a player that originally carried a 1st round grade at the bottom of the 2nd or early 3rd would present good value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's too bad TJ Moe (6-0 200) the WR from Missouri is only a soph. because this kid is a perfect fit for NE's short to intermediate passing offense.  Good hands and quickness, is really in sync with his QB, his routes look crisp and he knows how to find a soft spot in zone.  He'll be someone to keep an eye on for sure in 2011.

Another kid that I've been high on is Tyler Sash, the 6-1 210 safety from Iowa.  Smart kid with very good instincts and awarness, good ball skills (13 career INT's, returning 2 for TD's) and is always around the football.  He's only a junior, but submitted paper work to the draft advisory board for a potential draft grade/position so he's a TBD.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

MB, Here's more on the story...

12/27/2010- Iowa juniors Tyler Sash and Marvin McNutt have filed paperwork with the NFL Draft advisory committee, the two said Sunday at the Hawkeyes' Insight Bowl Media Day. This does not mean Sash or McNutt have declared for the draft; they're simply getting feedback on where they could be taken if they choose to leave school early. They have until Jan. 15 to make their decision "The plan right now is to come back," Sash said. "That's the plan right now. Things can change. I'm not sure 100 percent. But the plan right now is to come back. ... I filled out the paperwork. I wanted to see where I was at. But right now, I just want to win this game for our team and the state of Iowa." - Scott Miller, The Daily Iowan

IMO Sash is the second best junior SS behind Mark Barron.  Does anyone have a list of players who have submitted their names to the advisory committee?

What about McNutt? He seems like a poor man's Hankerson.  I doubt he gets a very high grade with all the talent at WR projected to come out; maybe a late 6 to UDFA?

Word on the street is Gabbert is leaning on coming out.  I only watched the 1st quarter of the game so far but he has poise, decent arm and appears able to make all the throws.  He has prototypical NFL size and good speed for his size.  Apparently a lot of NFL scouts were at the MIZZ/Iowa game specifically to watch Gabbert.  Having him come off the board along with Luck, Mallett and Newton ahead of our 15 would be HUGE. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

While I only saw parts of the Iowa/Missouri game, Clayton did not impress from what I saw.  No pressure on the QB (was that Iowa's gameplan) and pushed around in the run game.  Does anyone else have a more complete review of Clayton's game?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB, Here's more on the story... 12/27/2010 - Iowa juniors Tyler Sash and Marvin McNutt have filed paperwork with the NFL Draft advisory committee, the two said Sunday at the Hawkeyes' Insight Bowl Media Day. This does not mean Sash or McNutt have declared for the draft; they're simply getting feedback on where they could be taken if they choose to leave school early. They have until Jan. 15 to make their decision "The plan right now is to come back," Sash said. "That's the plan right now. Things can change. I'm not sure 100 percent. But the plan right now is to come back. ... I filled out the paperwork. I wanted to see where I was at. But right now, I just want to win this game for our team and the state of Iowa." - Scott Miller, The Daily Iowan IMO Sash is the second best junior SS behind Mark Barron.  Does anyone have a list of players who have submitted their names to the advisory committee? What about McNutt? He seems like a poor man's Hankerson.  I doubt he gets a very high grade with all the talent at WR projected to come out; maybe a late 6 to UDFA? Word on the street is Gabbert is leaning on coming out.  I only watched the 1st quarter of the game so far but he has poise, decent arm and appears able to make all the throws.  He has prototypical NFL size and good speed for his size.  Apparently a lot of NFL scouts were at the MIZZ/Iowa game specifically to watch Gabbert.  Having him come off the board along with Luck, Mallett and Newton ahead of our 15 would be HUGE. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucet, thanks for the info.

I read that as "if I'm not rated in Rd 1 or at the very least Rd 2, them I'm probably returning to Iowa City for another season".  Bottom of Rd 2 is probably the ceiling for him, IMO as he's more likely a Rd 3-4 kid.

Gabbert looks like the real deal, IMO.  Great size, big arm and can make all the throws as you pointed out.  I agree that it would be big if he moved into the top 10-12 as that'd just push another quality player to the Patriots' range.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot54too. Show patriot54too's posts

[QUOTE]bb does a great job drafting o-lineman in the mid rounds, im sure with our first four pick we will land a de,olb,ol,and wr or rb i cant wait for the senior bowl/combine, and players who work out privatly with the scouts to see how far some players jump or fall on the board. should be interesting. we have to give credit to bbs draft philosophy the recent years, stockiling picks to "retool" the team, he has put the franchise in a awesome position to be contenders for years to come, what more could you ask for!!!! go pats
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]

What seems to be forgotten in much of this "Draft" discussion is how unpredictable BB is.  I think this is true in large part because things change, circumstances are different, new information becomes available and cudos, many cudos to BB for assessing, adapting, adjusting and deciding based on many tangibles and intangibles.  BB can handle this and handle it well, with many able helpers (assitant coaches).  You can't plan on finding diamonds in the rough or obvious gems in any particular round in  any particular year!  You do your homework, take your swings and hustle your *ss off.  You know what's ahead, BE PREPARED.

Mr. Belichick is Smart and Well-prepared.   Oooo-RRrraaaaahh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]While I only saw parts of the Iowa/Missouri game, Clayton did not impress from what I saw.  No pressure on the QB (was that Iowa's gameplan) and pushed around in the run game.  Does anyone else have a more complete review of Clayton's game?
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

sfpat,
    I'm assuming you're talking about Clayborn?  I didn't get a chance to watch Clayborn specifically as I was trying to watch Ballard and Tyler Sash when Iowa as on D (Ballard finished with 3 tackles and 1 sack), but Mizzou was in a lot of shotgun 5 wide using primarily quick throws which makes it a lot tougher for the D to get consistent pressure.  It was basically a lot of ball is snapped, ball is out of Gabbert's hand, boom boom (57 pass attempts by Mizzou with 7.6 YPA).

One kid that did stand out on D was Karl Klug the 6-2 265 DL from Iowa.  The kid gets a great jump of the snap and plays with a lot of intensity.  I heard his name called quite a bit, he finished with 5 tackles, 1 sack. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : sfpat, I'm assuming you're talking about Clayborn?  I didn't get a chance to watch Clayborn specifically as I was trying to watch Ballard and Tyler Sash when Iowa as on D (Clayborn finished with 3 tackles and 1 sack), but Mizzou was in a lot of shotgun 5 wide using primarily quick throws which makes it a lot tougher for the D to get consistent pressure.  It was basically a lot of ball is snapped, ball is out of Gabbert's hand, boom boom (57 pass attempts by Mizzou with 7.6 YPA). One kid that did stand out on D was Karl Klug the 6-2 265 DL from Iowa.  The kid gets a great jump of the snap and plays with a lot of intensity.  I heard his name called quite a bit, he finished with 5 tackles, 1 sack. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Yes, I meant Clayborn (sorry about the misname)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Just 17 days to go and we can end all this speculation about which underclassmen will declare.  I'm really hoping JJ Watt has a big game and gets a 1st round score from the NFLAC.  He will be sure to come out.  If Watt is there at 15, how can we pass on him?  Although, I was shocked when we passed on Dan Williams last year twice.  But I am sure glad we got McCourty.  We passed on Williams before we knew Warren was hurt.  Now that we don't know how Warren will be (a hip could be a scary thing), do we pass on other elite DL?

In a recent mock I did, I have Kerrigan, Watt and Jones available at 15 and all but one of the elite OTs.  Who do we take?  I'd vote Watt.  If Watt's gone, Kerrigan would make the most sense.  I hesitate to take an OT thinking one could slide to 32.  Jones is a pick that really intrigues me though.  It is totally out-of-character for BB but can you imagine him replacing Tate in the line up?

How scary good would our O be next year with Branch and Jones out wide, Welker in the slot, Gronkowski at TE with Woody coming out of the back field?  Talk about match up problems.  Then you mix in a little dose of Hernandez.  A 6-6 TE, a 6-4 WR, a great route runner, the best slot receiver ever seen and a RB that is so small and quick that you can't see him until he's by you then you can't catch him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Valero Alamo

Justin Blackmon 

Brooks Reed

Oklahoma State vs. Arizona 

Dec. 29

9:15 p.m.         ESPN

Bell Helicopter

Army vs. SMU          

Dec. 30

Noon               ESPN

New Era Pinstripe

Kansas St. vs. Syracuse        

Dec. 30

3:20 p.m.         ESPN

Music City

Robert Quinn OLB

LaMarcus Thompson / Nick Reveiz / Gerald Jones / Denarius Moore

North Carolina vs. Tennessee     

Dec. 30

6:40 p.m.         ESPN

Bridgepoint Education Holiday

Prince Amukamara

Nebraska vs. Washington

Dec. 30

10 p.m.            ESPN

Meineke Car Care

Bowers

South Florida vs. Clemson         

Dec. 31

Noon               ESPN

Hyundai Sun

Allen Bailey /Brandon Harris /

Michael Floyd

Notre Dame vs. Miami           

Sun Bowl  Dec. 31

2 p.m.              CBS

AutoZone Liberty

Justin Houston, OLB,(jr)/Darryl Gamble /A.J. Green(jr)/Shaun Chapas FB

Georgia vs.  UCF       .

Liberty Bowl    Dec.31

3:30 p.m.         ESPN

Chick-fil-A

South Carolina vs. Florida State  

Dec. 31

7:30 p.m.         ESPN

TicketCity

Northwestern vs. Texas Tech

Cotton Bowl Jan. 1

Noon               ESPNU

Outback

Janoris Jenkins DB  / Maurkice Pouncey / Ahmad Black

Evan Royster / Stefen Wisniewski

Florida vs. Penn State           

Jan. 1

1 p.m.              ABC

Capital One

Julio Jones /Marcel Dareus,

Alabama vs. Michigan State

Citrus Bowl    Jan. 1

1 p.m.              ESPN

Progressive Gator Bowl   KJ Wright  /  Pernell McPhee OLB

Mississippi State vs. Michigan

Jan. 1

1:30 p.m.         ESPN2

Rose Bowl Game

JJ Watt / Gabe Carimi

Wisconsin vs. TCU   

Rose Bowl  Jan. 1

5 p.m.              ESPN

Tostitos Fiesta

DeMarco Murray / Jeremy Beal OLB

Connecticut vs Oklahoma      

Jan. 1

8:30 p.m.         ESPN

Stanford vs. Virginia Tech   

Allstate Sugar

Cameron Heyward

Ohio State vs. Arkansas       

Jan. 4

GoDaddy.com

Middle Tennessee vs. Miami (Ohio) 

Jan. 6

8 p.m.              ESPN

AT&T Cotton

Drake Nevis

LSU vs. Texas A&M

Jan. 7

8 p.m.              FOX

BBVA Compass Bowl

Pittsburgh vs. Kentucky

Jan. 8

Noon              ESPN

Kraft Fight Hunger

Mark Herzlich / Anthony Castonzo

Nevada vs.           Boston College

Jan. 9

9 p.m.              ESPN

Tostitos BCS National Championship Game

Oregon vs. Auburn    

Jan. 10

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I hope this helps somebody :)

Want me to add someone?  or maybe edit a mistake let me know. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Brooks Reed (#42) and Ricky Elmore (#44) of Arizona, playing against Oklahoma State on ESPN.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

nice post ohyes. Very helpful

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

first af all, this is a great thread with a lot of knowledgable people contributing. This is the 4th season I believe I have been reading the mock draft thread.

I today's Globe Matt Light said he would be playing someplace else next year.  Jan 1 is the last day a team can sign a player to a longterm contract in this uncapped year.  Logan Mankins said in today's Globe that the sportswriter would have to talk to BB to see if anything was going on. 

I dont think the Pats will draft a running back in the first 2 rounds because in the law firm and Woody they have two backs whom are getting the job done for little money and they dont put the ball on the ground.  I think they might go after a FA.  Does anyone know what Steven Jackson's status is?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

FOD, I think what Light sais was he will be playing SOME place next year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Brandon Harris Miami cb Bowers Clemson (shiz and giggles)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So I got a chance to watch 99% of Brooks Reed's defensive snaps last night, what I came away with is:

*This kid plays just as hard at the start of the game as he does when 'Zona is down by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.  He's the kind of kid that I want on my team and looks like a BB type player to me.

*He plays 99.9% of his downs from a 3 point stance at RE in a 4-3 (I remember one play where he played form a two point stance and blitzed inside the RE causing pressure and what I believe was an incomplete pass on 3rd down) but shows good awarness when reading run/mis-direction.  I look forward to potentially seeing him in LB drills during the combine to see what kind of fluidity, agility and quickness he has. 

*He's still relatively new to the DE position, having transitioned there from H-Back in 2007, so I think he still has plenty of room to develop.  I believe he needs a more advanced pass rush move repetoire, as he primarily goes with an outside speed rush (not sure if that's their game plan) and mixes in a bull rush and spin move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

MB-
    Good analysis on Brooks Reed.  I was also very impressed with his continued effort throughout the game.  There will be questions about his ability to drop into coverage, as he should project as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but with a good combine he could be considered as a 2nd round prospect.  In all likelyhood he would be available early in the 3rd, though.  He would be a bit of a project, but shows tons on promise.  Definitally a name to keep on the radar.
    Also, Justin Blackmon went off for 117 yards and 2 TDs in this game as well.  This kid has all the tools physically.  Be interesting to see where he ends up/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Justin Blackmon is going to be a great pro somewhere...what I like is his consistency...12 games in a row over 100 yards...

I think he will end up being the second receiver off the board, leaving a stud defensive player for the Pats...

[QUOTE]MB- Good analysis on Brooks Reed.  I was also very impressed with his continued effort throughout the game.  There will be questions about his ability to drop into coverage, as he should project as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but with a good combine he could be considered as a 2nd round prospect.  In all likelyhood he would be available early in the 3rd, though.  He would be a bit of a project, but shows tons on promise.  Definitally a name to keep on the radar. Also, Justin Blackmon went off for 117 yards and 2 TDs in this game as well.  This kid has all the tools physically.  Be interesting to see where he ends up/
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed on Blackmon, looks like a man among boys vs. most teams.  It's scary to think that OSU had both him and Dez Bryant together in Stillwater though they didn't get much production from Blackmon last year.  The record setting consistency is also amazing.

As far as comparisons go, he reminds me of Hakeem Nicks and I think he'll develop into that true #1 type receiver at the NFL level that Nicks has.  Good size and speed, shows some phyiscality and has some big play ability.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Wow  Blackmon what else can you say. I really like the big body WR's. 6'1" 207 lbs looked bigger on the field.  Great hands and body control 

on Reed   He looked to have a hard time getting off blocks and his rush arc was really deep. Don't dip inside shoulder enough? Effort was there for sure

arodrambone   I added your guys to the list.  I will edit/update the original post as more names pop up. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Mb     I was wanting to know what you thought of Utah RB Matt Asiata.

I saw where Faucet said he was impressed with him, But I didn't see a your assessment on him after the game. Sorry if I have missed it. He maybe impressed me the most of all the bowl backs so far. I think he ran hard, fast, and had good vision in tight spaces.

Sections
Shortcuts