Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Valero Alamo

Justin Blackmon 

Brooks Reed

Oklahoma State vs. Arizona 

Dec. 29

9:15 p.m.         ESPN

Bell Helicopter

Army vs. SMU          

Dec. 30

Noon               ESPN

New Era Pinstripe

Kansas St. vs. Syracuse        

Dec. 30

3:20 p.m.         ESPN

Music City

Robert Quinn OLB

LaMarcus Thompson / Nick Reveiz / Gerald Jones / Denarius Moore

North Carolina vs. Tennessee     

Dec. 30

6:40 p.m.         ESPN

Bridgepoint Education Holiday

Prince Amukamara

Nebraska vs. Washington

Dec. 30

10 p.m.            ESPN

Meineke Car Care

Bowers

South Florida vs. Clemson         

Dec. 31

Noon               ESPN

Hyundai Sun

Allen Bailey /Brandon Harris /

Michael Floyd

Notre Dame vs. Miami           

Sun Bowl  Dec. 31

2 p.m.              CBS

AutoZone Liberty

Justin Houston, OLB,(jr)/Darryl Gamble /A.J. Green(jr)/Shaun Chapas FB

Georgia vs.  UCF       .

Liberty Bowl    Dec.31

3:30 p.m.         ESPN

Chick-fil-A

South Carolina vs. Florida State  

Dec. 31

7:30 p.m.         ESPN

TicketCity

Northwestern vs. Texas Tech

Cotton Bowl Jan. 1

Noon               ESPNU

Outback

Janoris Jenkins DB  / Maurkice Pouncey / Ahmad Black

Evan Royster / Stefen Wisniewski

Florida vs. Penn State           

Jan. 1

1 p.m.              ABC

Capital One

Julio Jones /Marcel Dareus,

Alabama vs. Michigan State

Citrus Bowl    Jan. 1

1 p.m.              ESPN

Progressive Gator Bowl   KJ Wright  /  Pernell McPhee OLB

Mississippi State vs. Michigan

Jan. 1

1:30 p.m.         ESPN2

Rose Bowl Game

JJ Watt / Gabe Carimi

Wisconsin vs. TCU   

Rose Bowl  Jan. 1

5 p.m.              ESPN

Tostitos Fiesta

DeMarco Murray / Jeremy Beal OLB

Connecticut vs Oklahoma      

Jan. 1

8:30 p.m.         ESPN

Stanford vs. Virginia Tech   

Allstate Sugar

Cameron Heyward

Ohio State vs. Arkansas       

Jan. 4

GoDaddy.com

Middle Tennessee vs. Miami (Ohio) 

Jan. 6

8 p.m.              ESPN

AT&T Cotton

Drake Nevis

LSU vs. Texas A&M

Jan. 7

8 p.m.              FOX

BBVA Compass Bowl

Pittsburgh vs. Kentucky

Jan. 8

Noon              ESPN

Kraft Fight Hunger

Mark Herzlich / Anthony Castonzo

Nevada vs.           Boston College

Jan. 9

9 p.m.              ESPN

Tostitos BCS National Championship Game

Oregon vs. Auburn    

Jan. 10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I hope this helps somebody :)

Want me to add someone?  or maybe edit a mistake let me know. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Brooks Reed (#42) and Ricky Elmore (#44) of Arizona, playing against Oklahoma State on ESPN.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

nice post ohyes. Very helpful

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

first af all, this is a great thread with a lot of knowledgable people contributing. This is the 4th season I believe I have been reading the mock draft thread.

I today's Globe Matt Light said he would be playing someplace else next year.  Jan 1 is the last day a team can sign a player to a longterm contract in this uncapped year.  Logan Mankins said in today's Globe that the sportswriter would have to talk to BB to see if anything was going on. 

I dont think the Pats will draft a running back in the first 2 rounds because in the law firm and Woody they have two backs whom are getting the job done for little money and they dont put the ball on the ground.  I think they might go after a FA.  Does anyone know what Steven Jackson's status is?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

FOD, I think what Light sais was he will be playing SOME place next year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Brandon Harris Miami cb Bowers Clemson (shiz and giggles)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So I got a chance to watch 99% of Brooks Reed's defensive snaps last night, what I came away with is:

*This kid plays just as hard at the start of the game as he does when 'Zona is down by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.  He's the kind of kid that I want on my team and looks like a BB type player to me.

*He plays 99.9% of his downs from a 3 point stance at RE in a 4-3 (I remember one play where he played form a two point stance and blitzed inside the RE causing pressure and what I believe was an incomplete pass on 3rd down) but shows good awarness when reading run/mis-direction.  I look forward to potentially seeing him in LB drills during the combine to see what kind of fluidity, agility and quickness he has. 

*He's still relatively new to the DE position, having transitioned there from H-Back in 2007, so I think he still has plenty of room to develop.  I believe he needs a more advanced pass rush move repetoire, as he primarily goes with an outside speed rush (not sure if that's their game plan) and mixes in a bull rush and spin move.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

MB-
    Good analysis on Brooks Reed.  I was also very impressed with his continued effort throughout the game.  There will be questions about his ability to drop into coverage, as he should project as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but with a good combine he could be considered as a 2nd round prospect.  In all likelyhood he would be available early in the 3rd, though.  He would be a bit of a project, but shows tons on promise.  Definitally a name to keep on the radar.
    Also, Justin Blackmon went off for 117 yards and 2 TDs in this game as well.  This kid has all the tools physically.  Be interesting to see where he ends up/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Justin Blackmon is going to be a great pro somewhere...what I like is his consistency...12 games in a row over 100 yards...

I think he will end up being the second receiver off the board, leaving a stud defensive player for the Pats...

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    MB- Good analysis on Brooks Reed.  I was also very impressed with his continued effort throughout the game.  There will be questions about his ability to drop into coverage, as he should project as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but with a good combine he could be considered as a 2nd round prospect.  In all likelyhood he would be available early in the 3rd, though.  He would be a bit of a project, but shows tons on promise.  Definitally a name to keep on the radar. Also, Justin Blackmon went off for 117 yards and 2 TDs in this game as well.  This kid has all the tools physically.  Be interesting to see where he ends up/
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed on Blackmon, looks like a man among boys vs. most teams.  It's scary to think that OSU had both him and Dez Bryant together in Stillwater though they didn't get much production from Blackmon last year.  The record setting consistency is also amazing.

As far as comparisons go, he reminds me of Hakeem Nicks and I think he'll develop into that true #1 type receiver at the NFL level that Nicks has.  Good size and speed, shows some phyiscality and has some big play ability.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Wow  Blackmon what else can you say. I really like the big body WR's. 6'1" 207 lbs looked bigger on the field.  Great hands and body control 

on Reed   He looked to have a hard time getting off blocks and his rush arc was really deep. Don't dip inside shoulder enough? Effort was there for sure

arodrambone   I added your guys to the list.  I will edit/update the original post as more names pop up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Mb     I was wanting to know what you thought of Utah RB Matt Asiata.

I saw where Faucet said he was impressed with him, But I didn't see a your assessment on him after the game. Sorry if I have missed it. He maybe impressed me the most of all the bowl backs so far. I think he ran hard, fast, and had good vision in tight spaces.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Thanks oyes. Michael Floyd, ND Marcel Dareus, Alabama. Nice list, wish i had a printer

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Valero Alamo Justin Blackmon   Brooks Reed Oklahoma State vs. Arizona  Dec. 29 9:15 p.m.          ESPN Bell Helicopter Army vs. SMU            Dec. 30 Noon                ESPN New Era Pinstripe Kansas St. vs. Syracuse          Dec. 30 3:20 p.m.          ESPN Music City Robert Quinn OLB LaMarcus Thompson / Nick Reveiz / Gerald Jones / Denarius Moore North Carolina vs. Tennessee       Dec. 30 6:40 p.m.          ESPN Bridgepoint Education Holiday Prince Amukamara Nebraska vs. Washington Dec. 30 10 p.m.             ESPN Meineke Car Care Bowers South Florida vs. Clemson            Dec. 31 Noon                 ESPN Hyundai Sun Allen Bailey /Brandon Harris / Notre Dame vs. Miami             Sun Bowl   Dec. 31 2 p.m.               CBS AutoZone Liberty Justin Houston, OLB,(jr)/Darryl Gamble /A.J. Green(jr)/Shaun Chapas FB Georgia vs.   UCF        . Liberty Bowl     Dec.31 3:30 p.m.          ESPN Chick-fil-A South Carolina vs. Florida State    Dec. 31 7:30 p.m.          ESPN TicketCity Northwestern vs. Texas Tech Cotton Bowl Jan. 1 Noon                ESPNU Outback Janoris Jenkins DB   / Maurkice Pouncey / Ahmad Black Evan Royster Florida vs. Penn State             Jan. 1 1 p.m.               ABC Capital One Julio Jones Alabama vs. Michigan State Citrus Bowl     Jan. 1 1 p.m.               ESPN Progressive Gator Bowl    KJ Wright   /   Pernell McPhee OLB Mississippi State vs. Michigan Jan. 1 1:30 p.m.          ESPN2 Rose Bowl Game JJ Watt / Gabe Carimi Wisconsin vs. TCU     Rose Bowl   Jan. 1 5 p.m.               ESPN Tostitos Fiesta DeMarco Murray / Jeremy Beal OLB Connecticut vs Oklahoma          Jan. 1 8:30 p.m.          ESPN Stanford vs. Virginia Tech       8:30 p.m.          ESPN   Allstate Sugar Cameron Heyward   Ohio State vs. Arkansas         Jan. 4 8:30 p.m.          ESPN GoDaddy.com Middle Tennessee vs. Miami (Ohio)   Jan. 6 8 p.m.               ESPN AT&T Cotton Drake Nevis LSU vs. Texas A&M Jan. 7 8 p.m.               FOX BBVA Compass Bowl Pittsburgh vs. Kentucky Jan. 8 Noon               ESPN Kraft Fight Hunger Mark Herzlich / Anthony Castonzo Nevada vs.            Boston College Jan. 9 9 p.m.               ESPN Tostitos BCS National Championship Game Oregon vs. Auburn      Jan. 10 8:30 p.m.          ESPN
    Posted by ohyes

Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I specifically watched the Iowa game to see what Clayborn could do.  He didn't impress me in the slightest.  What is the big deal with him?  He's got nice size but can't play worth a lick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow  Blackmon what else can you say. I really like the big body WR's. 6'1" 207 lbs looked bigger on the field.  Great hands and body control 
    on Reed   He looked to have a hard time getting off blocks and his rush arc was really deep. Don't dip inside shoulder enough? Effort was there for sure
      arodrambone   I added your guys to the list.  I will edit/update the original post as more names pop up. 
    Posted by ohyes

Indeed, I'm not sure if that's by design (Arizona's scheme) or not, but he needs some refinement to his repetoire.  He strikes me as a kid that would be willing to take the steps necessary to evolve as a player and get better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mb     I was wanting to know what you thought of Utah RB Matt Asiata. I saw where Faucet said he was impressed with him, But I didn't see a your assessment on him after the game. Sorry if I have missed it. He maybe impressed me the most of all the bowl backs so far. I think he ran hard, fast, and had good vision in tight spaces.
    Posted by ohyes

I think he's a nice late round/URFA option as he possesses good size and power and he can catch the football (32 receptions on the year).  He wasn't able to do much in their bowl game against Boise State finishing with 32 yards from scrimmage (22 on 5 carries and 10 on 1 reception). 

The bowl back that's impressed me the most so far is Mikel LeShoure from Illinois.  He absolutely shredded Baylor last night with 29-184-3 on the ground and 2-21 through the air.  I know he's been mentioned on this and a few other threads, but the kid would be a great fit for NE's scheme with his great size (6-1 230), power, versatility and production (he also has some big play ability with 3 TD's of 50 or more yards).  They'd likely need to spend a Rd 2 or maybe even Rd 1 pick to get him though (assuming he declares).  He's been productive the last two seasons but really went off this year with 281-1,697-17 on the ground and 17-196-3 through the air.  Illinois has churned out some quality NFL backs in recent years in Rashard Mendenhall and Pierre Thomas.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Three running back prospects playing on ESPN today.  Daniel Thomas the 6-2 228 senior from Kansas Stat is playing now against Syracuse (Syracuse counters with Delone Carter the 5-10 215 senior) and Roy Helu the 6-0 220 senior from Nebraska will play at 10 EST against Washington.

As I type this, Daniel Thomas just took the second play from scrimmage 51 yards for a TD off the left side, showing some good vision and cut back ability.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

LaMichael James will return to Oregon next season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Three running back prospects playing on ESPN today.  Daniel Thomas the 6-2 228 senior from Kansas Stat is playing now against Syracuse (Syracuse counters with Delone Carter the 5-10 215 senior) and Roy Helu the 6-0 220 senior from Nebraska will play at 10 EST against Washington. As I type this, Daniel Thomas just took the second play from scrimmage 51 yards for a TD off the left side, showing some good vision and cut back ability.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

How was the rest of Thomas's game?

How about Delone Carter? Isn't he suppose to be pretty good?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I didn't watch the game but......

CARYDS  AVG  TD   LG

Daniel Thomas 51 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)
    Daniel Thomas 10 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)
    Daniel Thomas 1 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I didn't watch the game but......     CAR YDS   AVG   TD    LG 22 90 4.1 3 51 Daniel Thomas 51 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick) Daniel Thomas 10 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick) Daniel Thomas 1 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)
    Posted by Rocky

Thanks, I just checked the box scores as well.

Seems Carter had a heck of a day rushing for Syracuse also.

Att yds avg lng TD
    27 198 7.3 60 2

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

So I got a chance to watch 99% of Brooks Reed's defensive snaps last night, what I came away with is: * This kid plays just as hard at the start of the game as he does when 'Zona is down by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.  He's the kind of kid that I want on my team and looks like a BB type player to me. * He plays 99.9% of his downs from a 3 point stance at RE in a 4-3 (I remember one play where he played form a two point stance and blitzed inside the RE causing pressure and what I believe was an incomplete pass on 3rd down) but shows good awarness when reading run/mis-direction.  I look forward to potentially seeing him in LB drills during the combine to see what kind of fluidity, agility and quickness he has.  * He's still relatively new to the DE position, having transitioned there from H-Back in 2007, so I think he still has plenty of room to develop.  I believe he needs a more advanced pass rush move repetoire, as he primarily goes with an outside speed rush (not sure if that's their game plan) and mixes in a bull rush and spin move.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I came away with the same observations Mb, but I only caught the first half so far.  Hopefully can watch the rest tomorrow.  But I agree, Reed plays with passion, high energy and he's almost always around the football.  I think I noticed OKLA ST running a lot of running plays away from Reed.  Not sure if it was intentional.  He kinda reminds me of Chris Matthews, not just the hair, his make-up.  Like you I'll will be watching him at the Combine to see how he does in the LB drills.  I'm not sure where to slot him yet.  I'm thinking 3rd.  Would be nice to see him there at 96.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Thanks, I just checked the box scores as well. Seems Carter had a heck of a day rushing for Syracuse also. Att yds avg lng TD 27 198 7.3 60 2
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

The stats I got were from ESPN

Sections
Shortcuts