2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Still having a hard time philosophically drafting a de/olb type with the Oakland pick.

I mean take a look at the history of these guys that have been drafted high(1st rd) year after year as well as all of us saying we want the Pats to draft them.

Seriously. How many on this list do you really go oh wow wish we could have gotten him, what a stud he turned out to be. A handful? (obviously I am not talking about the traditional DE's on the list)

I mean even the crazy Clay Mathews argument some make. After his first two games (3 sacks each). He's been mediocre. Also if you watch his sack highlights or his games from this season, I'd bet 90% of them are because of a free run at the QB based on scheme. I rarely see him beat his man and more often see him just completely unblocked.

Sure a player still has to make the play but those , to me personally, are just not impressive plays. 

The Patriots most often do not overload blitz(scheme) a free run by the OLB at the QB. The player has to beat his man.

Just my feeling and opinion. I don't see it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    Still having a hard time philosophically drafting a de/olb type with the Oakland pick. I mean take a look at the history of these guys that have been drafted high(1st rd) year after year as well as all of us saying we want the Pats to draft them. http://www.drafthistory.com/positions/de.html Seriously. How many on this list do you really go oh wow wish we could have gotten him, what a stud he turned out to be. A handful? (obviously I am not talking about the traditional DE's on the list) I mean even the crazy Clay Mathews argument some make. After his first two games (3 sacks each). He's been mediocre. Also if you watch his sack highlights or his games from this season, I'd bet 90% of them are because of a free run at the QB based on scheme. I rarely see him beat his man and more often see him just completely unblocked. Sure a player still has to make the play but those , to me personally, are just not impressive plays.  The Patriots most often do not overload blitz(scheme) a free run by the OLB at the QB. The player has to beat his man. Just my feeling and opinion. I don't see it.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Good posts.  I was thinking along this line.  Most of the DE/OLB prospects just did not work out.  Shouldn't you add Sergio Kindle and Jerry Hughes to the list?

Looked up Dunlap stats.  He played only 12 games and only on passing downs but still had 9.5 sacks from the DE position.  Once he becomes stronger against the run, he might turn out to be a great one.

TB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I like this Maehl kid

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

The shape of the draft board is changing too fast to keep up. Currently there are 35 underclassmen declaring eligible. It does not look like the labor uncertainty is keeping many away. The averages have been 45 to 50 underclassmen per. year coming out and there are still 8 days left to declare. The new additions have been pushing more quality players further down the draft board. Especially DL,CB,RB, are very deep with the new additions. This being the way it is has chanced my draft dramatically, and i know by the last day to declare it will chance some more. so here is draft 2:
     Pick 1 no. 17. OT Gabe Carimi SR. Wisconsin 6'7" 327 5.12 . OT in this draft is thin and we have a immediate need to start rebuilding the OL. This would give us book end swing tackles of massive size and youth for the next 8 years. 
     Pick 2 no.32.  Aldon Smith Soph. DE/OLB Missouri 6'4" 258 4.69 Absolute perfect fit for our 34 and will make an immediate impact opposite Cunningham, very possible 3 down player at OLB after he learns to set the edge in our system.
     Pick 3 no. 33.  Muhammad Wilkerson Jr. DE Temple 6'5" 305 5.17 A beast who can play all spots on the 34 DL and the DE in the 43. Has perfect size and length and speed to fill the need on our DE spot left vacant by Richard Seymour
     Pick 4 no. 64.  Benjamin Ijalana Sr. OG Villanova 6'4" 320 5.34 Great size (same as Mankins) and ability to play either Left or Right guard, a pure road grader for the running game. This gives us the versatility to make the changes if Mankins walks, and a great set of Guards if he stays.
      Pick 5 no.74.  Kenny Tate Jr. FS Maryland 6'4" 220 4.56.  Great size and speed in a ball hawking safety who loves to bring the big hit. This may be the last piece to a pro bowl trifecta of safeties, ideal for our heavy nickel and dime packages.
      Pick 6 no.96. Johnny Patrick Sr. CB Louisville 5'11" 190 4.47. Has good speed and talent. The over abundance of good CB's allows use to get a good quality back up who may have a chance to move up on he roster.
      Pick 7 no. 128 Delone Carter Sr. RB Syracuse 5'9" 215 4.52.  Prototypical every down powerback with the ability to catch passes out of the backfield. He is a good compliment to BJGE to split caries with.
      Pick 8 no. 160 Greg Romeus Sr. DE/OLB Pittsburg 6'5" 268 4.79. Injury to his back caused him to miss most of his senior season and drop his draft stock way down. It is a gamble that could pay high dividends if he could return to form and catch up on his delayed learning curve.
      Pick 9 no. 187 Derrick Locke Sr. RB Kentucky 5'9" 190 4.36. A change of pace RB who is a real burner. Maybe makes the team on special teams.

There are a few UDFA I would invite to camp to try for a spot on the PS.
      1)Brandon Saine RB Ohio 6'0" 219 4.46
      2)Kris Adams WR Texas El Paso 6'3" 195 4.48
      3)James Rodgers WR Oregon 5'7" 188 4.43
      4)Steven Friday DE/OLB Virginia Tech. 6.4" 250 4.66

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I had hopes we would take Dunlap with one of our 2nds last year.

9.5 sacks is pretty outstanding, no matter how you slice it.

I admit being shocked we took Cunningham (1 sack) over Dunlap.

Cunningham has been a solid player for a rookie, but nothing really outstanding or game changing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I am good with your picks, here are mines with trades... 1. Trade down from 17 and get a 3 rd round  pick. At #22 take Muhammed Wilkerson*, DT, Temple Height: 6-5. Weight: 301. 1A 32. Justin Houston*, DE/OLB, Georgia Height: 6-3. Weight: 257. 33 2nd. Trade down to 45 for a 2 nd round next year 2012 and draft  Benjamin Ijalana, G/OT, Villanova Height: 6-4. Weight: 320. 2nd 64. Rodney Hudson, G, Florida State Height: 6-2. Weight: 285. 3rd. 74. Curtis Brown, CB, Texas Height: 6-0. Weight: 180. 3 rd 87. Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas State Height: 6-2. Weight: 227. OR DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma Height: 6-1. Weight: 214 . 3rd 96. Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh Height: 6’6″ Weight: 270 4th round TRADE for Chad Johnson (other 4th gone from Branch trade) 5 th James Carpenter, G, Alabama Height: 6-5. Weight: 300. 6 th Anthony Gray, NT, Southern Miss Height: 6-0. Weight: 314. 7 th Lee Ziemba, Auburn Height: 6-8. Weight: 310.
    Posted by kenscreen
    I can see some of your mock coming true the trade parts though I'm not sure who BB would take in any of your scenario's as for getting Lee Ziemba in the 7th round,there is no way the guy voted the best blocking tackle in the SEC is available in the 7th round..But we can dream.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I had hopes we would take Dunlap with one of our 2nds last year. 9.5 sacks is pretty outstanding, no matter how you slice it. I admit being shocked we took Cunningham (1 sack) over Dunlap. Cunningham has been a solid player for a rookie, but nothing really outstanding or game changing.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

Can't speak to his stats as I never saw any of his games this season because he did not play against the Pats. This goes directly to my point. He was picked at #54, I think,  so you don't have to take someone at #17 necessarily for some pass rush.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What about CB Brandon Burton of Utah at first or last second round choice for Pats?  Any thoughts?
    Posted by fyyankees

Burton is a kid I like, he's probably a 3rd to 2nd round kid.  Not a ton of experience at CB but has shown so far the ability to play the position.  He's offseason workouts will be huge for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I had hopes we would take Dunlap with one of our 2nds last year. 9.5 sacks is pretty outstanding, no matter how you slice it. I admit being shocked we took Cunningham (1 sack) over Dunlap. Cunningham has been a solid player for a rookie, but nothing really outstanding or game changing.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

dunlap hasn't done anything for cincy either. In BB we trust!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

The shape of the draft board is changing too fast to keep up. Currently there are 35 underclassmen declaring eligible. It does not look like the labor uncertainty is keeping many away. The averages have been 45 to 50 underclassmen per. year coming out and there are still 8 days left to declare. The new additions have been pushing more quality players further down the draft board. Especially DL,CB,RB, are very deep with the new additions. This being the way it is has chanced my draft dramatically, and i know by the last day to declare it will chance some more. so here is draft 2:  Pick 1 no. 17. OT Gabe Carimi SR. Wisconsin 6'7" 327 5.12 . OT in this draft is thin and we have a immediate need to start rebuilding the OL. This would give us book end swing tackles of massive size and youth for the next 8 years.   Pick 2 no.32.  Aldon Smith Soph. DE/OLB Missouri 6'4" 258 4.69 Absolute perfect fit for our 34 and will make an immediate impact opposite Cunningham, very possible 3 down player at OLB after he learns to set the edge in our system.  Pick 3 no. 33.  Muhammad Wilkerson Jr. DE Temple 6'5" 305 5.17 A beast who can play all spots on the 34 DL and the DE in the 43. Has perfect size and length and speed to fill the need on our DE spot left vacant by Richard Seymour  Pick 4 no. 64.  Benjamin Ijalana Sr. OG Villanova 6'4" 320 5.34 Great size (same as Mankins) and ability to play either Left or Right guard, a pure road grader for the running game. This gives us the versatility to make the changes if Mankins walks, and a great set of Guards if he stays.   Pick 5 no.74.  Kenny Tate Jr. FS Maryland 6'4" 220 4.56.  Great size and speed in a ball hawking safety who loves to bring the big hit. This may be the last piece to a pro bowl trifecta of safeties, ideal for our heavy nickel and dime packages.   Pick 6 no.96. Johnny Patrick Sr. CB Louisville 5'11" 190 4.47. Has good speed and talent. The over abundance of good CB's allows use to get a good quality back up who may have a chance to move up on he roster.   Pick 7 no. 128 Delone Carter Sr. RB Syracuse 5'9" 215 4.52.  Prototypical every down powerback with the ability to catch passes out of the backfield. He is a good compliment to BJGE to split caries with.   Pick 8 no. 160 Greg Romeus Sr. DE/OLB Pittsburg 6'5" 268 4.79. Injury to his back caused him to miss most of his senior season and drop his draft stock way down. It is a gamble that could pay high dividends if he could return to form and catch up on his delayed learning curve.   Pick 9 no. 187 Derrick Locke Sr. RB Kentucky 5'9" 190 4.36. A change of pace RB who is a real burner. Maybe makes the team on special teams.   There are a few UDFA I would invite to camp to try for a spot on the PS.   1)Brandon Saine RB Ohio 6'0" 219 4.46   2)Kris Adams WR Texas El Paso 6'3" 195 4.48   3)James Rodgers WR Oregon 5'7" 188 4.43   4)Steven Friday DE/OLB Virginia Tech. 6.4" 250 4.66
    Posted by part-timer

I really like this mock.  Needs addressed and great talent selected at about the appropriate spots.  I think these are very realistic scenarios.  Keep up the good work guys!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Part-timer,

I would be very happy with your mock...couple of O-lineman, Aldon Smith will be a beast, but some mocks do show him going earlier. Same could be said of Wilkerson, I've seen him in the first in some, but not all.

As you said, lots of great players could fall in the first and I would be excited if we landed these guys.

The shape of the draft board is changing too fast to keep up. Currently there are 35 underclassmen declaring eligible. It does not look like the labor uncertainty is keeping many away. The averages have been 45 to 50 underclassmen per. year coming out and there are still 8 days left to declare. The new additions have been pushing more quality players further down the draft board. Especially DL,CB,RB, are very deep with the new additions. This being the way it is has chanced my draft dramatically, and i know by the last day to declare it will chance some more. so here is draft 2:  Pick 1 no. 17. OT Gabe Carimi SR. Wisconsin 6'7" 327 5.12 . OT in this draft is thin and we have a immediate need to start rebuilding the OL. This would give us book end swing tackles of massive size and youth for the next 8 years.   Pick 2 no.32.  Aldon Smith Soph. DE/OLB Missouri 6'4" 258 4.69 Absolute perfect fit for our 34 and will make an immediate impact opposite Cunningham, very possible 3 down player at OLB after he learns to set the edge in our system.  Pick 3 no. 33.  Muhammad Wilkerson Jr. DE Temple 6'5" 305 5.17 A beast who can play all spots on the 34 DL and the DE in the 43. Has perfect size and length and speed to fill the need on our DE spot left vacant by Richard Seymour  Pick 4 no. 64.  Benjamin Ijalana Sr. OG Villanova 6'4" 320 5.34 Great size (same as Mankins) and ability to play either Left or Right guard, a pure road grader for the running game. This gives us the versatility to make the changes if Mankins walks, and a great set of Guards if he stays.   Pick 5 no.74.  Kenny Tate Jr. FS Maryland 6'4" 220 4.56.  Great size and speed in a ball hawking safety who loves to bring the big hit. This may be the last piece to a pro bowl trifecta of safeties, ideal for our heavy nickel and dime packages.   Pick 6 no.96. Johnny Patrick Sr. CB Louisville 5'11" 190 4.47. Has good speed and talent. The over abundance of good CB's allows use to get a good quality back up who may have a chance to move up on he roster.   Pick 7 no. 128 Delone Carter Sr. RB Syracuse 5'9" 215 4.52.  Prototypical every down powerback with the ability to catch passes out of the backfield. He is a good compliment to BJGE to split caries with.   Pick 8 no. 160 Greg Romeus Sr. DE/OLB Pittsburg 6'5" 268 4.79. Injury to his back caused him to miss most of his senior season and drop his draft stock way down. It is a gamble that could pay high dividends if he could return to form and catch up on his delayed learning curve.   Pick 9 no. 187 Derrick Locke Sr. RB Kentucky 5'9" 190 4.36. A change of pace RB who is a real burner. Maybe makes the team on special teams.   There are a few UDFA I would invite to camp to try for a spot on the PS.   1)Brandon Saine RB Ohio 6'0" 219 4.46   2)Kris Adams WR Texas El Paso 6'3" 195 4.48   3)James Rodgers WR Oregon 5'7" 188 4.43   4)Steven Friday DE/OLB Virginia Tech. 6.4" 250 4.66
    Posted by part-timer

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : The fuss is, Jenkins was a top 3 CB prospect in this class and arguably one of the top defenders in the SEC/country.  He has big time shut-down potential as well as the skill set (speed/quickness/fluidity/physicality/instincts) to be successful in both zone and man coverage.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I'm sure Jenkins will make a fine CB some day in the NFL, but I'm good for now with McCourty & Bodden starting.  There are some serious issues with the O-line going forward that I'd like to see addressed, and I think our D-line depth isn't all that great either.  I'd rather see those two areas addressed with the Raider pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Part-timer, I would be very happy with your mock...couple of O-lineman, Aldon Smith will be a beast, but some mocks do show him going earlier. Same could be said of Wilkerson, I've seen him in the first in some, but not all. As you said, lots of great players could fall in the first and I would be excited if we landed these guys. In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** :
    Posted by mcboyd22

Don't be surprised to see Aldon Smith drop because the concencus opinion is that he is coming out to soon and should stay in school at least one more year. But the talent is just too much to pass up!  As for Muhammad Wilkerson the question that will drop his position is that he doesn't have the playing time or experience against top quality opponents in the league he played in.  In either case there is a chance to be taken, one may mature at a slower pace then the rest of the field, and the other may not hold up as expected when put up against top NFL opponents. Most would expect first round picks to contribute the first year, but these two picks may be second year breakouts. The entire draft is a crapshoot but if these both pan out, our defensive front seven would be off the charts. Not all teams will take the chance on such high picks that may take time to develop. Picture this: Ty Warren R DE, Vince Wilfork NT, Muhammad Wilkerson L DE, J. Cunningham R OLB, B. Spikes Ilb, J. Mayo ILB, Aldon Smith L OLB, with backups Brace,Prior,Write,Deadric love,Ninkovich,TBC,and Guyton.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Don't be surprised to see Aldon Smith drop because the concencus opinion is that he is coming out to soon and should stay in school at least one more year. But the talent is just too much to pass up!  As for Muhammad Wilkerson the question that will drop his position is that he doesn't have the playing time or experience against top quality opponents in the league he played in.  In either case there is a chance to be taken, one may mature at a slower pace then the rest of the field, and the other may not hold up as expected when put up against top NFL opponents. Most would expect first round picks to contribute the first year, but these two picks may be second year breakouts. The entire draft is a crapshoot but if these both pan out, our defensive front seven would be off the charts. Not all teams will take the chance on such high picks that may take time to develop. Picture this: Ty Warren R DE, Vince Wilfork NT, Muhammad Wilkerson L DE, J. Cunningham R OLB, B. Spikes Ilb, J. Mayo ILB, Aldon Smith L OLB, with backups Brace,Prior,Write,Deadric love,Ninkovich,TBC,and Guyton.
    Posted by part-timer

I've been mocking Smith as a late 1st rounder for a while now but with the caveat that's he's a top 10 talent.  He's this year's JPP (Giants), very high upside not a lot of experience but just a talented kid.  JPP is I'm not mistaken went 15 to the Giants, hope Smith last until 17th.

He will certainly be a project but as a pin ears back go after QB situations the guy brings a speed we have not seen in NE since... hmmmm been a while.  He will mature into a better run stuffer, he's (according to scouting reports) very strong and uses leverage well.  One downside which can be coached is he uses a swing move too much to get passed OL in college, in NFL a OT will start punching the ribs once they get the timing to the swing but again that will be coached.  This kid has only been playing football since Jr in high school.

I think right now Kerrigan is a safer pick, in the long run Smith might end up having a better career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

My only concern with Kerrigan is his ability to drop back into coverage.  I'll be interested to see if he takes part in the LB drills at the combine specifically for this.  Although Kerrigan has all the intanglibles and traits that Belichick looks for(toughness, character, intelligence), he might not be a great fit as an everydown OLB if he can't drop back into coverage.  I'm not saying he can't, I just haven't seen it from him.  A guy like Ninkovich, who also played at Purude, has been ok at it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thomas Keiser (6-5 250) the declared redshirt junior OLB from Stanford is another name that I'd like to bring to the discussion.  He played his first two years at DE before making the move to OLB this season in the Cardinal's 3-4.  Good size, smart kid, that really gets after it, as does most of Stanford's defense, and has said experience at the 3-4 OLB position in which he picked up 5.5 sacks, 9.5 TFL and 1 INT on the season. He looks like a mid round option at this point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Heres a draft I think we could all live with for 2011. 1a Costanzo ( or the ol from Ohio st if you prefer). 1b. Watt, now I know Faucett and many others say he wont be there at 32... so trade 3a(74) to get to 25. If not Watt there will be some good DL. 2a. Wisniewski can play center or guard but better at guard. Good bye Mr Light. 2b. the cornerback from Colorado Smith very quick but I havent seen him play heard good reports. 3b. Herzlick he is only going to get better and better as he gets healed. 4a Marecic from Standford. Sports Illustrated made him sound like the perfect Pat. I had Powell at 3a so if you dont have to trade to get Watt he is my choice. Of course BB wont do anything like this but I feel we would be way above everyone else with these players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Thoughts....

Gabbert
    Locker
    Newton
    Mallet

Bills @ 3
    Cardinals @ 5
    49ers @ 7
    Titans @ 8
    Redskins @ 10
    Vikings @ 12
    Dolphins @ 15
    Jaguars @ 16

Do you think all 4 of those QB's go before #17?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Thoughts.... Gabbert Locker Newton Mallet Bills @ 3 Cardinals @ 5 49ers @ 7 Titans @ 8 Redskins @ 10 Vikings @ 12 Dolphins @ 15 Jaguars @ 16 Do you think all 4 of those QB's go before #17?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I definetely see Gabbert and Mallet in that range.  I think Newton is so raw that I could see him slip into the 2nd round, especially if he doesn't perform well at the combine/workouts.  I think Locker slips into the 2nd round ala Clausen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I definetely see Gabbert and Mallet in that range.  I think Newton is so raw that I could see him slip into the 2nd round, especially if he doesn't perform well at the combine/workouts.  I think Locker slips into the 2nd round ala Clausen.
    Posted by ShiningWizard

I see Newton as the Tebow type. I think Gabbert and Mallet will be gone in the top 15 and someone will trade up for Locker then someone will panic and trade up for Newton. I don't think anyone of those fall out of the top 25 simply do to the large number of teams needing a QB and panicking at the lack of depth after the top 5 or so.

My feeling is that the Bills and Cards will pass on a QB being that high. SF with a new coach will want to bring in a new QB with him so they will grab the first one. The Titans are going to have to save face with Young so the only way to do it is grab a new QB or sign a big name vet. They are a team to watch to trade up. The Redskins are the next one to grab a QB after trying to get rid of McNabb (looking at Oak to pick him up). With 2 QB's down the Jags, Viks, or Dolphins start to panic about not being able to grab a QB and either trade back but stay within the teens or they pull the trigger and pick up the 3rd QB. The Titans are starting to regret not grabbing a QB early and with Newton sitting right there they make a bad trade to get back into the game.

The great thing is sitting at #17 if there is a run of 3 QB's right before us and the player we want is gone then it would be easy to get a 2nd, 3rd this year, and a 1st next year from a team in the early 2nd thinking that they won't get a shot at a new QB.

Now that I think of it if Kerrigan isn't there this would be my number 1 scenario followed by grabbing either Watt, Beal, Wisniewski, Hoston, or Cannon at 32 and trading back #33 to a mid 2nd and 2nd next year. That would get us a late 1st and 3 2nds (I'm thinking ideal OL, OLB, and DL depth round right now) while also getting us a 1st and 2nd for next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Well firstly, those "only 3 of the top 10" are probably the 3 that impressed me the most this season! Secondly, OK I admit I was a bit too harsh on the conference issue, but I did that on purpose because I saw Powell play and I was underwhelmed.  I am a Demarco Murray guy, BECAUSE he complements the Pats 2 current RBs and Tom Brady.  I keep hearing the arguments that he is not a between the tackles guy, and his avg yds per carry is only X, but the numbers are not even half the story, the guy has played in huge pressure games and delivered big plays and he is a fantastic receiving back.  We don't need "Law Firm 2" in the back field, we need a RB that fills a different role. Murray is that guy for the Pats IMO. So apologies to the Big East ... I got carried away. Just don't like Powell and would be hugely disappointed if the Pats drafted him over others that will be available in late R2 or R3 (or maybe even R4)  
    Posted by CanadianPat

Sorry bean away, just returned from the slopes.  I've been hard on Murray on this thread because of his relative low ypc.  He is a fantastic receiving RB, the best in college.  He can and does make game changing plays.  I think he will make a terrific 3rd down back.  Problem is, we have a 3rd down back and Faulk appears like he wants to come back so where do we fit Murray?  Granted Powell is a bit like BJGE in terms of measurables but I think Powell is a better receiver.  Most teams like to split the load and we are pretty much doing that already.  Our need for an elite back is minimal.  If Powell or Murray are around at 96, I'd pull the trigger on either of them, maybe even with the MIN pick if we've filled other needs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

As I mentioned, I've been away for a few days, a much needed break some would say from this site.  Forgive me if this has been blasted to death in other threads but I heard the news that Asomugha will be a free agent and that the Raiders can't tag him.  Has anybody discussed the idea that we go after him as our one and only free agent move?  I'm not sure with our high finish that we'd have the ability as I recall there being rules for top finishers in uncapped years but imagine adding him, tagging Mankins, letting Light go then we start our draft.  OMG!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As I mentioned, I've been away for a few days, a much needed break some would say from this site.  Forgive me if this has been blasted to death in other threads but I heard the news that Asomugha will be a free agent and that the Raiders can't tag him.  Has anybody discussed the idea that we go after him as our one and only free agent move?  I'm not sure with our high finish that we'd have the ability as I recall there being rules for top finishers in uncapped years but imagine adding him, tagging Mankins, letting Light go then we start our draft.  OMG!!!!
    Posted by Faucetman

I think a good portion of people realized that Aso is going to be looking for Revis type of money which is way to much to pay him. The money is better spent resigning Branch, G Warren, Mankins, and getting a couple vets for depth

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

how about packaging #32 and Merriweather to Houston for their #11 and taking Robert Quinn? Texans need a safety big time. would ya do it?
    Posted by pumpsiefan

Meriweather and our late 1st won't be enough to move to #11. Maybe to the mid to early 20's but not that high

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Back to the Draft?  Faucet, thought you and the posse would be interested in the below - team needs and likely positional - not player picks - from Pro Football Weekly:

Here is a look at the 2011 draft selection order after completion of the wild-card round, with draft comments on each team. An asterisk (*) indicates the team's draft position may change depending on playoff results.)

1. Carolina Panthers: Suffered biggest loss of year when Andrew Luck returned to Stanford. Need offensive help for lowest scoring team in NFL.

2. Denver Broncos: Might have to consider Patrick Peterson with Champ a free agent.

3. Buffalo Bills: Need to repair run defense, first and foremost.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Can only hope this year's rookie class performs like 2010's.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Is the quarterback of their dreams worth taking with fifth pick?

6. Cleveland Browns: Sure could use a big wide receiver.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Jim Harbaugh is a quarterback short of a very good offense.

8. Tennessee Titans: One of many teams suddenly looking for future at QB spot.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Three of team's top four DEs played on one-year deals in 2010.

10. Washington Redskins: Itching to get the next John Elway, but is that QB available?

11. Houston Texans: Will be interesting to see if team goes 3-4 route on defense in draft.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Other than QB, safety appears to be biggest immediate concern.

13. Detroit Lions: Could draft linebacker, corner or safety early.

14. St. Louis Rams: Offense must go more vertical, and a choice wideout would help.

15. Miami Dolphins: No sure thing that they go for a running back in first round.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: If they are looking for immediate help, could take safety early.

17. Oakland Raiders: Can't find Asomugha's replacement until second round.

18. San Diego Chargers: Pick from Jets in Cromartie trade is now a second-rounder.

19. New York Giants: When was the last big play made by one of their linebackers? 2009?

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Need to find playmaker at linebacker.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Nose tackle a good place to start on defense.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Offensive line still needs work. Just ask Bill Polian.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Starting right cornerback job will be open.

24. New Orleans Saints: Another aggressive young linebacker would do wonders.

25. Seattle Seahawks*: Marshawn Lynch ran like he heard RB draft rumors.

26. Green Bay Packers*: Would like to find OLT Chad Clifton's eventual replacement.

27. Chicago Bears*: Would be little shock if they look for a left tackle in Round One.

28. New York Jets*: Few young pass rushers on the roster.

29. Baltimore Ravens*: Cornerback remains a position they'd like to upgrade.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers*: At some point they'll have to find Hines Ward's replacement.

31. Atlanta Falcons*: Have been stockpiling pieces on defense; no reason to stop now.

32. New England Patriots*: Will have Raiders' first-rounder, too, to beef up defense.

This would appear to leave many prime defenders available as many teams drafting before our Raider pick at #17 will look for QB, WR help.  In no particular order (other than offense - defense) I see some combination of these 17 players as 1-16 picks:

Offense:

QB's
    Jake Locker
    Cam Newton
    Ryan Mallett
    Blaine Gabbert

WR
    AJ Green
    Julio Jones
    Mike Floyd

OT
    Gabe Carimi
    Anthony Castonzo

RB
    Ingram

Defense:

CBs
    Pate Petersen
    Prince Amukamara

DL
    Da Quan Bowers
    Nick Fairley
    Marcel Dareus
    The Mighty Quinn
    Stephen Paea

This would leave, Faucet, your JJ Watt, the two Camerons, MB's Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, available to Pats here.  I like Jeremy Beal OU OLB with our #32 or so pick as well.

Sections
Shortcuts