Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***
posted at 1/12/2011 9:25 AM EST
Back to the Draft? Faucet, thought you and the posse would be interested in the below - team needs and likely positional - not player picks - from Pro Football Weekly:
Here is a look at the 2011 draft selection order after completion of the wild-card round, with draft comments on each team. An asterisk (*) indicates the team's draft position may change depending on playoff results.)
1. Carolina Panthers: Suffered biggest loss of year when Andrew Luck returned to Stanford. Need offensive help for lowest scoring team in NFL.
2. Denver Broncos: Might have to consider Patrick Peterson with Champ a free agent.
3. Buffalo Bills: Need to repair run defense, first and foremost.
4. Cincinnati Bengals: Can only hope this year's rookie class performs like 2010's.
5. Arizona Cardinals: Is the quarterback of their dreams worth taking with fifth pick?
6. Cleveland Browns: Sure could use a big wide receiver.
7. San Francisco 49ers: Jim Harbaugh is a quarterback short of a very good offense.
8. Tennessee Titans: One of many teams suddenly looking for future at QB spot.
9. Dallas Cowboys: Three of team's top four DEs played on one-year deals in 2010.
10. Washington Redskins: Itching to get the next John Elway, but is that QB available?
11. Houston Texans: Will be interesting to see if team goes 3-4 route on defense in draft.
12. Minnesota Vikings: Other than QB, safety appears to be biggest immediate concern.
13. Detroit Lions: Could draft linebacker, corner or safety early.
14. St. Louis Rams: Offense must go more vertical, and a choice wideout would help.
15. Miami Dolphins: No sure thing that they go for a running back in first round.
16. Jacksonville Jaguars: If they are looking for immediate help, could take safety early.
17. Oakland Raiders: Can't find Asomugha's replacement until second round.
18. San Diego Chargers: Pick from Jets in Cromartie trade is now a second-rounder.
19. New York Giants: When was the last big play made by one of their linebackers? 2009?
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Need to find playmaker at linebacker.
21. Kansas City Chiefs: Nose tackle a good place to start on defense.
22. Indianapolis Colts: Offensive line still needs work. Just ask Bill Polian.
23. Philadelphia Eagles: Starting right cornerback job will be open.
24. New Orleans Saints: Another aggressive young linebacker would do wonders.
25. Seattle Seahawks*: Marshawn Lynch ran like he heard RB draft rumors.
26. Green Bay Packers*: Would like to find OLT Chad Clifton's eventual replacement.
27. Chicago Bears*: Would be little shock if they look for a left tackle in Round One.
28. New York Jets*: Few young pass rushers on the roster.
29. Baltimore Ravens*: Cornerback remains a position they'd like to upgrade.
30. Pittsburgh Steelers*: At some point they'll have to find Hines Ward's replacement.
31. Atlanta Falcons*: Have been stockpiling pieces on defense; no reason to stop now.
32. New England Patriots*: Will have Raiders' first-rounder, too, to beef up defense.
This would appear to leave many prime defenders available as many teams drafting before our Raider pick at #17 will look for QB, WR help. In no particular order (other than offense - defense) I see some combination of these 17 players as 1-16 picks:
Da Quan Bowers
The Mighty Quinn
This would leave, Faucet, your JJ Watt, the two Camerons, MB's Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, available to Pats here. I like Jeremy Beal OU OLB with our #32 or so pick as well.