2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Thanks Mordecai but that pass was not in Branch's hands. It seemed to me to be thrown behind him, and Branch had to do a good bit of stretching to pull it in...but again, just my perception. I know Brady is still one of the best QB's in the game. And, i probably wouldn't cash him in for anyone at this point, but my point is the last 3 playoff loses have a lot to do with him, but so does going 14-2 this season. As great as he is, I get a sick feeling in my stomach to think that one of the best of all time, the guy that is supposed to be absolutely clutch come big game time, has had no so stellar post season efforts for the past 3 post season games. Anyhow...if this game did anything for me, it's helped me think a bit more clearly about the draft. I am convinced we need to put some serious effort in improving both the DL and OL, taking a WR fairly high, and another CB. I am really leaning on using our first 4 picks and not trading...DL, OL, WR, CB. I want to see us draft for these positions specifically with our first 4 picks.  Watching the last few games, including tonight, I'm convinced Tate is not the answer at WR and possibly not even as a KR. I'm ready to draft his replacement next year. The DL is a bit more dicey because we have several players who should be back next year that were hurt. I think this defnese is very different with TWarren, Pryor, Wright and Brace all healthy and playing. Not as much concerned with the line, but still would like to see a significant upgrade. OL we all know needs improvement. I don't know where Connolly was today, but he wasn't blocking. I don't think he is a starting RG right now, and if Mankins leaves, that means we need 2. CB...we all saw Butler give up that long pass to Edwards. He and Arrington are not starting caliber CB's on our team. Both are nickel/dime CB's at best.  Perhaps I am being a bit too harsh because of the loss tonight, but I think we saw a lot of deficiencies across the board. Perhaps some of these were camoflauged throughout the year, but tonight inthe biggest game of the year, they were exposed.  
    Posted by PatsLifer

Patslifer, I just rewatched that play 5 times, it hit him directly in the hands.  He did make an amazing play to get his hands there as the ball was behind him, but anytime the ball hits dead on your hands u need to grab it in the NFL. 
    Yes we had a ton of issues, many of which were not there during the season such as the OL stinking.  I think we need to go old school, bring back smashmouth D and OL.  Brady might get hit more if we bring in some mauling OL, but we can run more and that should alleviate some of the hits and pressure.  We also need a more consistent D.  Yes, we turned it on late in the season, but with turnovers.  They are great to get, but consistency is important and we seem to lack that right now.  All of the games this year where we didnt win the turnover battle, were losses. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

The Jets executed their game plan very well...no turnovers, very few penalties, which kept them in the game. I thought when they missed the FG after the Brady interception, we were golden. But, a failed fake punt and poor clock management, led to a disappointing loss. The thing I really noticed from a personnel standpoint were Connolly and Koppen getting hammered...and by Pione?? Not like it was Kris Jenkins or even anyone that is "supposedly" good.

The other key thing was Brady took several sacks because the receivers were not even close to being open. Amazing his stats were as good as they were. No adjustments on getting people open...just continued to struggle.

I will also say Belichick didn't have the team ready to go....they didn't have the same fire that the Jets had...you could see it early. Other than Wilfork, I didn't see anyone with any fire...Mankins, but not in a good way with a stupid penalty.
    So, with that in mind....my thoughts are best player available at 17, hopefully getting D-line or OLB, with a couple of quality lineman to get younger and more aggressive in the 2nd round. Would love for us to spend some "Adalius-type" money get an impact player on defense...like Lamarr Woodley. Also think we need to upgrade the receiving corps before Tom ages more.

Hard day to get through...I couldn't even pull up any sports site today.

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Patslifer, I just rewatched that play 5 times, it hit him directly in the hands.  He did make an amazing play to get his hands there as the ball was behind him, but anytime the ball hits dead on your hands u need to grab it in the NFL.  Yes we had a ton of issues, many of which were not there during the season such as the OL stinking.  I think we need to go old school, bring back smashmouth D and OL.  Brady might get hit more if we bring in some mauling OL, but we can run more and that should alleviate some of the hits and pressure.  We also need a more consistent D.  Yes, we turned it on late in the season, but with turnovers.  They are great to get, but consistency is important and we seem to lack that right now.  All of the games this year where we didnt win the turnover battle, were losses. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Without even reading any of the recent posts... If anyone all of a sudden is changing mocks for areas of weakness solely on the last game watched then that drives me bananas.

Anyway, I hope its not going to be like 2007 when they lost the super bowl and i had to debate half a dozen people about the offensive line except this year someone choosing some other position of choice.

Please lets not have anyone over react to team needs based on a disappointing loss.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

#17 - Offensive Coordinator #28 - A WR that can get separation and Catch the F'in Ball. #33 - An  OLB that can actually apply constant pressure. #56 - An ILB that can actually cover the middle of the field.
    Posted by tcal2-

Would you be happy with the Patriots acquiring Ochocinco, instead of drafting a WR in the 1st 2 rounds?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys, nothing changes in terms of team needs based on one game.  I was worried about us being over confident and rusty after the long 2 weeks off, plus we had gone so long without turning the ball over and we finished the season on an 8 game win streak.  Long streaks worry me because the odds of them continuing diminish with each play/game.  I wished we had dropped the Dolphins game at the end or the Green Bay game just so we would've gotten it out of the way. 

Bottom line our D was just too young and inexperienced and we were out coached and out played in that game.  The Jets wanted it more, you could see it.  Brady and Welker were sitting on the sidelines in the 2nd quarter looking dejected after a 3 and out and they weren't talking to each other; instead of discussing what was happening on the fields and needed adjustments.  But heck, I never in a million years thought we'd go 14-2 with this young team and that tough schedule when the season started especially after losing Bodden and Warren.  My hat is off the BB and the boys for a remarkable season.  Atlanta was also the 1 seed and they went down in flames.  32 teams start out with one goal, 12 get to achieve the first goal but only one gets to hold the prize.  We finished 5th.

We will be back with a better team next year.  The Jets and Dolphins have more holes to fill with fewer draft picks.  The Jets also have more impact free agents to worry about keeping than do the Patriots.

The PATRIOTS:

Draft picks: 17, 28, 33, 60, 74, 92
    Key Free Agents are: Logan Mankins and Matt Light.

The JETS:

Draft Picks: No better than 29, 93
    Key Free Agents: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Shaun Ellis, David Harris, and Antonio Cromartie

The DOLPHINS:

Draft Picks: 15, 79
    Key Free Agents: Chad Pennington, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, and Lousaka Polite

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes nothing has changed I always felt the pass rush was severely lacking and it was blatant this game. I still think we will trade 1 of our top 3 picks. My feeling is that they need to replace Light, get a good RG, get a pass rusher, and get a DE that can set the edge but also come in the rush

My feeling is the same as it's always been, they will trade a couple picks back and get 2 DL's, 3 OL's, 1 S, 1 OLB/DE, 1 RB, and 1 WR/CB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

PatsEng,

I think there is a 50/50 chance JJ Watt will be there at 17.  If so, I wouldn't take any chances by trading down, I'd just take him.  If Watt is gone and Julio Jones somehow slips to 17, same thing, I'd just take him and not fool around.  If both guys are gone, yes, I could see trading down 5-10 spots and landing one of the top OTs.  However, based on my earlier post, OT is a big need area for a lot of teams.  There could be some heavy action on them once we get past the top 8 picks starting with OT starved Dallas.  Fortunately for us, we could hold off and draft a RT further back and move Vollmer to LT.  That could be a smart play for us to us pick 60 or 74 on, a right tackle.

At 28 is where I see us possibly going with a pass rushing OLB, Aldon Smith or Justin Houston.  One should be there, Kerrigan will be gone.

At 33 if we are losing Mankins, I'd hope for Wisniewski to still be available.  He could end up being as good as Mankins and he also can play center so tremendous value I think for him.  Or, we could wait until 74 or 92 to land an OG, perhaps Schilling, Moffitt or an OT type that will convert to OG, Zeimba perhaps.

RB and WR are deep positions in this draft, not elite talent but solid 2-3 round talent will be available all the way through the 4th and 5th rounds.  There is also a lot of depth at DT and CB in this draft.  I personally think we are set there with Bodden and Warren returning and the guys we have, especially if we land JJ Watt. 

However, top talent is thin at Safety and lots of teams have S needs.  Around the league there is need for 29 starting caliber safeties but just 6 that I'd consider top 3 round worthy.  Now we could hold off a year but if we want to find the next Rodney Harrison, it could be Kenny Tate of Maryland.  He isn't high on a lot of boards yet but he could end up being the best in his class meaning around pick 33 for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Some notable, potential Patriots radar weigh-ins from the East-West Shrine Game:

Delone Carter RB Syracuse- 5-8.8 225

Ricky Elmore DE/OLB Arizona- 6-4.3 255

Andrew Jackson OG Fresno State- 6-5.1 302 (32 inch arms)

Jeron Johnson SS Boise State- 5-10.2 210

Shiloh Keo SS Idaho- 5-11.4 223

Jeff Maehl WR Oregon- 6-0.1 181

Caleb Schlauderoff OG Utah- 6-4.2 310 (31.5/8 inch arms)

Ryan Winterswyk DE/OLB Boise State- 6-3.7 268

Justin Trattou DE/OLB Florida- 6-3.3 254

Cecil Shorts WR Mount Union- 5-11.7 200

Jah Reid OT UCF- 6-7.3 325 (34 inch arms)

Adam Grant OT Arizona- 6-5.7 327 (33.3/4 inch arms)

Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin- 6-2 209

Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland- 5-11 210

Aldrick Robinson WR SMU- 5-9.6 181

Another notable that got some burn on this thread was Dontay Moch, the OLB from Nevada, he weighed in at 6-1.3 229 which I think takes him out of the discussion as a fit for NE's scheme.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'd include the below to Mb's list for those to watch:

RB Vai Taua - 5th round to undrafted
    RB Evan Royster - 4-6th round
    DT Marvin Austin - 2nd round
    OG Zachary Hurd - 6th round
    OT Christian Hairston - 4-6 round, maybe as a RT

Here's the complete list, the rosters are listed with the East Team first, West Team following.

NamePos.College
    Kyle AdamsTEPurdue
    Pierre AllenDENebraska
    Marvin AustinDTNorth Carolina
    JC BrignoneCMississippi State
    Bryant BrowningOGOhio State
    Delone CarterRBSyracuse
    Akem DentILBGeorgia
    Patrick DevlinQBDelaware
    Ricky DobbsQBNavy
    Ryan DonahuePIowa
    Charles GanttTEMichigan State
    Eric GordonSSMichigan State
    Christian HairstonOTClemson
    Jermale HinesSSOhio State
    Douglas HogueOLBSyracuse
    Randall HuntOGIllinois
    Zachary HurdOGConnecticut
    Brian LainhartFSKent State
    Gregory Lyoyd IIILBConnecticut
    Cliff MatthewsDESouth Carolina
    Terrell McClainDTUSF
    Josh McNaryOLBArmy
    Bruce MillerDEUCF
    Jonas MoutonOLBMichigan
    Martin ParkerDTRichmond
    Jah ReidOTUCF
    Evan RoysterRBPenn State
    David SimsSSIowa State
    Greg SmithTETexas
    Tyrod TaylorQBVirginia Tech
    Terrence ToliverWRLSU
    Terrence TurnerWRIndiana
    Demarcus Van DykeCBMiami
    Lawrence WilsonILBConnecticut

Name

Pos.

College
    David ArkinOGMissouri State
    Brandon BairDTOregon
    Jordan CameronTEUSC
    David CarterDTUCLA
    Chris CarterOLBFresno State
    Chris ConteFSCalifornia
    Ricky ElmoreDEArizona
    Nathan EnderleQBIdaho
    Adam GrantOTArizona
    Alex GreenRBHawaii
    Virgil Green IITENevada
    Trevor HankinsPArizona State
    Andrew JacksonOGFresno State
    Ben JacobsILBFresno State
    Jeron JohnsonSSBoise State
    Jerrod JohnsonQBTexas A&M
    Shiloh KeoSSIdaho
    Karl KlugDEIowa
    Orie LemonILBOklahoma State
    Alex LinnenkohlCOregon State
    Dontay MochOLBNevada
    Michael MohamedILBCalifornia
    Jonathan NelsonSSOklahoma
    Caleb SchlauderaffOGUtah
    Justin Taplin-RossSSUtah
    Vai TauaRBNevada
    Julius ThomasTEPortland State
    Brandyn ThompsonCBBoise State
    Scott TolzienQBWisconsin
    Winston VenableOLBBoise State
    Ryan WhalenWRStanford
    Nate WilliamsSSWashington
    Zachary WilliamsOGWashington State
    Ryan WinterswkeDEBoise State

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

I've had a day to digest the horrible loss, and my outlook for the future of the Pats remains extremely positive.  Look at the facts, we went 14-2 with a team comprised largely of first & second year guys.  Everyone seems to be healthy heading into the offseason.  We will potentially make 5 picks in the draft before the Jets even make their second (baring trades...)  We still have the best head coach and QB in the buisness, and this loss will make them hungrier than ever.  I really hope we spend 2 high picks on WR and OL, as well as make a big defensive free agent signing.  All in all, this season far exceeded my expectations and I think our young players will learn from this loss and preform better in the future.  Here's to a phenomanel off-season!
    PS-  Go NFC in the Super Bowl!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Actually, with the 33rd pick, I wouldn't mind if the Pats took Jake Locker if he is still on the board.  Brady will be 34 next season.  Let Locker sit for three years then take the reigns.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Some notable, potential Patriots radar weigh-ins from the East-West Shrine Game: Delone Carter RB Syracuse- 5-8.8 225 Ricky Elmore DE/OLB Arizona- 6-4.3 255 Andrew Jackson OG Fresno State- 6-5.1 302 (32 inch arms) Jeron Johnson SS Boise State- 5-10.2 210 Shiloh Keo SS Idaho- 5-11.4 223 Jeff Maehl WR Oregon- 6-0.1 181 Caleb Schlauderoff OG Utah- 6-4.2 310 (31.5/8 inch arms) Ryan Winterswyk DE/OLB Boise State- 6-3.7 268 Justin Trattou DE/OLB Florida- 6-3.3 254 Cecil Shorts WR Mount Union- 5-11.7 200 Jah Reid OT UCF- 6-7.3 325 (34 inch arms) Adam Grant OT Arizona- 6-5.7 327 (33.3/4 inch arms) Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin- 6-2 209 Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland- 5-11 210 Aldrick Robinson WR SMU- 5-9.6 181 Another notable that got some burn on this thread was Dontay Moch, the OLB from Nevada, he weighed in at 6-1.3 229 which I think takes him out of the discussion as a fit for NE's scheme.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I'm going to be looking at Andres Jackson, I think he would be a late round gem.  He's a blue collar kid with a nasty streak to him.  another one Winterswyk, can he bring the heat and cover.

Their base will be a 43 in that game, anyone know?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

IQ can you see what else you can find out about Tyler Sash, saw little of him play but what I've been reading this kid is a very good safety prospect.  He played SS but has the cover skills and speed to play FS. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's my very early first crack at my new formatted draft board.  I attempted to use team needs to weight the value of each player.  My weighted rank is in the first column.  The "Ave" is the average rank given by the various draft boards I am monitoring.  I will update this frequently. 

Several things stand out to me.  The need at QB and OT really skew the value of some players based on their overall talent, but that is always the case.  This skewing is often ignored by the many draft gurus (not that I am one) when they rate players.  The ratings of the gurus is based on relative talent of the player to the field, I am attempting to weight those ratings to team needs to try to better predict the order players are taken.  This first effort only adjusts for team needs.  I must also adjust for depth at each position to account for teams realizing talent will be had later on in positions of need that are deep.  I hope this makes sense.

RankPlayerPosAve
    1Nick FairleyDT1.67
    2Patrick PetersonCB2.33
    3Blaine GabbertQB7.00
    4Da'Quan BowersDE2.67
    5Robert QuinnDE7.67
    6Ryan MallettQB19.33
    7AJ GreenWR3.33
    8Marcell DareusDT7.33
    9Cam NewtonQB19.67
    10Nate SolderOT16.33
    11Prince AmukamaraCB7.67
    12Ryan KerriganDE16.00
    13Stephen PaeaDT21.33
    14Julio JonesWR9.33
    15Von MillerOLB15.00
    16Mark IngramRB25.33
    17JJ WattDE17.00
    18Anthony CastonzoOT20.00
    19Adrian ClaybornDE17.00
    20Cabe CarimiOT20.33
    21Akeem AyersOLB20.00
    22Kyle RudolphTE25.50
    23Mikel LeShoureRB16.00
    24Derek SherrodOT24.50
    25Brandon HarrisCB35.33
    26Justin HoustonOLB27.00
    27Aldon SmithOLB37.50
    28Cameron HeywardDT21.33
    29Kenny TateFS26.00
    30Allen BaileyDE32.67
    31Tyron SmithOT34.00
    32Stefen WisniewskiC38.00

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I am sick to my stomach, that was just a terrible game plan and a great on by the Jets. The weaknesses at FS, CB, OLB, DEs and OL were at their worse.  I hope there are two OLBs that can run drafted or 1 via FA and another drafted.  Wish we could make doubles of VW but that's not happening.  I know there are a ton of Merri fans out there but I trully hope I don't have to see another year of him in a Pats uniform which I think we won't.  With McGowan and others coming back from IR Merri hope is traded. The OL was man handled, as a team it was terrible play but worse the Jets game plan will be copied by other teams.  They don't have star people that you can say other teams don't have, it was a scheme driving game plan with good players not great which other teams can duplicate. So with all that been said I hope the draft goes down this way: 17 - JJ Watt DE 6'6" 292 Big power house that has been talked about her, problem is if he puts up big numbers at offseason workouts he could be gone by 17. 28 - Anthony Castonzo OT 6'7" 308  Even if Light returns Castonzo is the RT of the future and adds good depth. 33 - Mike Pouncey OL 6'4" 310 Another non sexy pick but a much needed one, he can play both C or G.  If Mankins returns Pouncey will compete with Connolly or Koppen for playing time. 56 - Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 245   What's not to like about this kid, I'm also under the believe he'll return to pre cancer form.  He is an instinctive LB which we need.  Won't give the pass rush but is probably the best cover LB day 1. 74 - Christian Ballard DE 6'4" 298   Depth to the DL is key, G. Warren ran out gas late in the season and with injury concerns around other players having two young aggressive athletic DL is something missing in 2010.  Ballard has a great first step and can play DE or DT is subpackages to rush from inside. 92 - Tyler Sash S 6'1" 210 One of the better cover safeties in college that's not to say he is also physical against the run which he is.  A sure tackler, great instincts and quickness. 124 - Curtis Marsh CB 6'0" 195 A converted RB has been openning eyes, he held Titus Young to 4 catches for 34 yards.  He has a ton of upside and can play both inside in the slot or outside.  Good size and speed, physical CB that should get better with time. 156 - Markus White OLB/DE 6'4" 262 Can rush the passer, while he develops into a 3 down OLB he will be the sub package and base passing down rusher.  Great speed, none stop motor and a leader. 184 - Andrew Jackson OG 6'6" 295  Probably needs to develop for a year but plays with an attitude, uses great technic with also the athleticism to pull.  Would like to get a RB but I think they will sign an UDFA at that position.  WR is another that I don't know what they would do with their current roster.  There are some good FAs coming out so don't think they'll draft another WR, might get a few UDFAs in see what happens.
    Posted by Pats7393
    Any time Tom is sacked 5 times in a game then you know where the problem lies. O-line! What o-line,Mankins and Vollmer and that was it. Connolly ,Koppen and Light peeyew! If I hadn't watched it my own eyes I would have thought the Ravens were playing the game and not the Jets,becuase they used the same defense that the Ravens used last year and the same guys got run over again this year Koppen and Light! So with that said at least you recognized the true needs of the Patriots, An edge setting DE who can rush the passer and O-line all the way across the board. Center,OG, and a RT and move Vollmer over to his natural position at LT. Light's a FA so it was nice seeing you turn out the lights as you go,Mankins played a good game and so did Vollmer and God bless Alge Crumpler because he to had a good game both blocking and receiving,but the rest of these guys had trouble recognizing the Jets Defensive schemes and Viola by the time the guys would finally get open the O-line was getting beat like a drum. As for any other positions draft what you will but get those linemen on both sides of the ball....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here is the updated list for Patriots draft positions: 17,28,33,60,74,and 92 I don't know what type of compensatory picks they will receive so all i'm mentioning is the first 3 rounds. At 17 if Solder or Costanza are available they need to seriously consider picking either one,there are multiple DE's they could draft in the 28 position and then they could go back to O-line for #33 provided BB doesn't trade out of any of the prior picks or he could drop down and still get his guy by dropping from 33 to somewheres in the 35-38 range. Still leaving #60 in round two to grab another DE or OLB. I know that there are several guys who want to jump over to the good ship Belichick cause they are all making their preferences known via Tweets and some have been bold enough to go NFL network and say they would like a trip to Camp Belichick...Ochocinco has been all over trying to get out of cincy,and NNamdi made his case on NFL Network I'm sure there are others clamouring for the player friendly confines of playing in New England.... Not every player wants to play for Rex ryans new gangsta program...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Take a look at what players are returning to find out where we need upgrades. We have 9 picks available.This analasis may simplify the choices available:Safety: Chung,Meriweather,Mcgowen,Barrett,Sanders,Page,Brown,Lockett,apears to be more than enough quality competion for camp to shake out an accepable 4 or 5 man squad.  CB:Mccourty,Bodden,Wilhite,Arrington,Butler,Carter,two quality CB's with 3 accepable slot or nickle backs,good competition for camp,would not waist a pick here.(maby a FA?). ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton,White,usuraly any more than 3 players are just stached ST players.OLB:Ninkovich,Cunningham,Tully Banta Cain,Fletcher,(Here we could use one playmaker someware in the first 3 rounds and possibly some competion from the last 3 rounds to push the bottom of the feild).DL: Wilfork,Warren,Brace,Prior,Wright,warren Deadrick,love,Richard,Cohan,Moore, if you count Wilfork,Ty Warren,Brace,Wright,Deadrick, and Love as serious competion we have room for maby 2 more players, one imediate impact player and one prospect with a possible high rate of return,
    So, on defence the imediate needs are at One high impact DE,and One impact OLB, along with one DE and OLB prospect to develop for the future needs.

On Offence at RB: I don't see the return of Tayler(retired),Faulk (replaced by Woodhead), or Morris(age 34),so that leaves us with Woodhead,BJGE,and Clayton. I don't see BB drafting a RB any higher than the fourth Rd. especialy in a draft as deep as this with RB's. Also I can see a vetran free agent picked up for insurance. WR: Welker,Branch,Tate,Price,Edelman,Jenkins,Farnham,We have a definate young core with high possibilities but I can see a Late Rd. pick (possible deep threat), and a vetran FA brought in to try to shake things out. TE: Crunpler,Hernandez,and Gronkowski all return with Butler in the wings,no needs at all.OL:Light will be gone with out taking a club freindly 1 or 2 year contract, Neal will retire if the club can replace him, Mankins is still a questionmark,Koppen's replacement should be found now,Connely is a well tested back up ,Wendel,ohrnberger,and Levoir haven't made the cut or Ojnnaka wouln not have been brought in.Then there is Maneri,and Austin as projects on the PS.

So we have need for a Top quality DE,OLB,1st. or 2nd. rd., also later round prospect in both.

We also could use mid round (4 or 5) help at RB and WR.

But the area that is weakest and has the most Questions is the OL. We need 1st. rd. help at OT to avoid extending Light (Who is at 33 yrs. and talent is diminishing)
    We need top rated talent to replace Neil and Koppen now to reduce Mankins leverage,(Although we still need to retain him at all cost,even if it means we franchise tag him for the next year)  Our curent back ups have served us well but they are what they are, back ups.

With all this in mind and the draft board stableized till the combine I see our draft board needs and the picks within reach of those needs as follows:
    Pick 17: J.J.Watt DE(6th) (22 overall) 6'6" 292 4.87
    Pick 28: Gabe Carimi OT(5th) (29 overall) 6'7" 327 5.12
    Pick 33: Mike Pouncey OG/C(1) (35 overall) 6'4" 310 5.29
    Pick 60: Dontay Moch OLB(6) (62 overall) 6'1" 242 4.38
    Pick 74: Benjamin Ijalana OG(4) (75 overall) 6'4" 320 5.34
    Pick 92: Kenrick  Ellis DT/DE(11) (87 overall) 6'5" 340 5.07
    Pick 124: Bilal Powell RB(13) (125 overall) 5'11" 215 4.52
    Pick 156: Cecil Shorts III WR(16) (144 overall) 6'0" 190 4.43
    Pick 184: Markus White DE/OLB(17) (192 overall) 6'4" 262 4.69

All these picks are in realistic range and fill imediate needs. If we sign Mankins long term this OL looks like this:
    Vollmer LT,Mankins LG ,Pouncey C,Ijalana RG,Carimi RT, both OT's can play L or R, Both OG's can play L or R, and the center can play all interior positions.
    J.J.Watt should be an imediate help to the DL, and if Kenrick Ellis works out we have a monster who can play any possition on the DL, including the 1 and 3 technique, with exceptional speed for his size.
    Dontay Moch posseses a speed not typicaly seen at his possition which will give offense's fits in his pass rush, and he could stay with any receiver in coverage. His speed and ability to make tackles behind the OL, and speed pass rush will give us a great possitive impact.
    Markus White is a steal at pick 184 speed power and size,prototypical 3-4 OLB if he can make the change from DE to OLB. If not he will still be an explosive pass rush option to replace TBC.
    Bilal Powell is a perfict power back to fill our needs, no flash just power and good blocking ability and decent receiver. BJGE II.
    Cecil Shorts III Has put up large amounts of yards, receiving,punt returns,kick offs, and rushing.A real burner at 4.43, but for a small school . Could be what we need if Price does not work out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Take a look at what players are returning to find out where we need upgrades. We have 9 picks available.This analasis may simplify the choices available:Safety: Chung,Meriweather,Mcgowen,Barrett,Sanders,Page,Brown,Lockett,apears to be more than enough quality competion for camp to shake out an accepable 4 or 5 man squad.  CB:Mccourty,Bodden,Wilhite,Arrington,Butler,Carter,two quality CB's with 3 accepable slot or nickle backs,good competition for camp,would not waist a pick here.(maby a FA?). ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton,White,usuraly any more than 3 players are just stached ST players.OLB:Ninkovich,Cunningham,Tully Banta Cain,Fletcher,(Here we could use one playmaker someware in the first 3 rounds and possibly some competion from the last 3 rounds to push the bottom of the feild).DL: Wilfork,Warren,Brace,Prior,Wright,warren Deadrick,love,Richard,Cohan,Moore, if you count Wilfork,Ty Warren,Brace,Wright,Deadrick, and Love as serious competion we have room for maby 2 more players, one imediate impact player and one prospect with a possible high rate of return, So, on defence the imediate needs are at One high impact DE,and One impact OLB, along with one DE and OLB prospect to develop for the future needs. On Offence at RB: I don't see the return of Tayler(retired),Faulk (replaced by Woodhead), or Morris(age 34),so that leaves us with Woodhead,BJGE,and Clayton. I don't see BB drafting a RB any higher than the fourth Rd. especialy in a draft as deep as this with RB's. Also I can see a vetran free agent picked up for insurance. WR: Welker,Branch,Tate,Price,Edelman,Jenkins,Farnham,We have a definate young core with high possibilities but I can see a Late Rd. pick (possible deep threat), and a vetran FA brought in to try to shake things out. TE: Crunpler,Hernandez,and Gronkowski all return with Butler in the wings,no needs at all.OL:Light will be gone with out taking a club freindly 1 or 2 year contract, Neal will retire if the club can replace him, Mankins is still a questionmark,Koppen's replacement should be found now,Connely is a well tested back up ,Wendel,ohrnberger,and Levoir haven't made the cut or Ojnnaka wouln not have been brought in.Then there is Maneri,and Austin as projects on the PS. So we have need for a Top quality DE,OLB,1st. or 2nd. rd., also later round prospect in both. We also could use mid round (4 or 5) help at RB and WR. But the area that is weakest and has the most Questions is the OL. We need 1st. rd. help at OT to avoid extending Light (Who is at 33 yrs. and talent is diminishing) We need top rated talent to replace Neil and Koppen now to reduce Mankins leverage,(Although we still need to retain him at all cost,even if it means we franchise tag him for the next year)  Our curent back ups have served us well but they are what they are, back ups. With all this in mind and the draft board stableized till the combine I see our draft board needs and the picks within reach of those needs as follows: Pick 17: J.J.Watt DE(6th) (22 overall) 6'6" 292 4.87 Pick 28: Gabe Carimi OT(5th) (29 overall) 6'7" 327 5.12 Pick 33: Mike Pouncey OG/C(1) (35 overall) 6'4" 310 5.29 Pick 60: Dontay Moch OLB(6) (62 overall) 6'1" 242 4.38 Pick 74: Benjamin Ijalana OG(4) (75 overall) 6'4" 320 5.34 Pick 92: Kenrick  Ellis DT/DE(11) (87 overall) 6'5" 340 5.07 Pick 124: Bilal Powell RB(13) (125 overall) 5'11" 215 4.52 Pick 156: Cecil Shorts III WR(16) (144 overall) 6'0" 190 4.43 Pick 184: Markus White DE/OLB(17) (192 overall) 6'4" 262 4.69 All these picks are in realistic range and fill imediate needs. If we sign Mankins long term this OL looks like this: Vollmer LT,Mankins LG ,Pouncey C,Ijalana RG,Carimi RT, both OT's can play L or R, Both OG's can play L or R, and the center can play all interior positions. J.J.Watt should be an imediate help to the DL, and if Kenrick Ellis works out we have a monster who can play any possition on the DL, including the 1 and 3 technique, with exceptional speed for his size. Dontay Moch posseses a speed not typicaly seen at his possition which will give offense's fits in his pass rush, and he could stay with any receiver in coverage. His speed and ability to make tackles behind the OL, and speed pass rush will give us a great possitive impact. Markus White is a steal at pick 184 speed power and size,prototypical 3-4 OLB if he can make the change from DE to OLB. If not he will still be an explosive pass rush option to replace TBC. Bilal Powell is a perfict power back to fill our needs, no flash just power and good blocking ability and decent receiver. BJGE II. Cecil Shorts III Has put up large amounts of yards, receiving,punt returns,kick offs, and rushing.A real burner at 4.43, but for a small school . Could be what we need if Price does not work out.
    Posted by part-timer
    I can agree with the logic of taking Both DE and LT and the best Center available after that I'd like to see the Patriots go for some home cooking and select Herzilich and maybe Todman from UConn if he comes out early,too bad Kuchely is staying in school because he's an absolute beast. I'm not overly enamored with both Wisconson guys but I do like the kid Clay from Wisconson if he's still hanging around in the 4rth round or if they are looking for a steal maybe Noel Devine from WVU will still be available in the 4rth round. A lot of different ways to go with the early picks and remember we are talking BB and you know if he's offered any additional picks in the early rounds he will trade out to any reasonable position. Say like someone wants number 17 he will trade down as far as maybe 20-21 provided  the return is adequate. You can bet your last buck that he will auction off number 33 to the highest bidder! First guy in the top 8 picks in the second round who offers their second round pick plus a first round pick in 2012 is the winner of the #33 selection in the draft... I can smell the rubber burning in BB's craw from here!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I can agree with the logic of taking Both DE and LT and the best Center available after that I'd like to see the Patriots go for some home cooking and select Herzilich and maybe Todman from UConn if he comes out early,too bad Kuchely is staying in school because he's an absolute beast. I'm not overly enamored with both Wisconson guys but I do like the kid Clay from Wisconson if he's still hanging around in the 4rth round or if they are looking for a steal maybe Noel Devine from WVU will still be available in the 4rth round. A lot of different ways to go with the early picks and remember we are talking BB and you know if he's offered any additional picks in the early rounds he will trade out to any reasonable position. Say like someone wants number 17 he will trade down as far as maybe 20-21 provided  the return is adequate. You can bet your last buck that he will auction off number 33 to the highest bidder! First guy in the top 8 picks in the second round who offers their second round pick plus a first round pick in 2012 is the winner of the #33 selection in the draft... I can smell the rubber burning in BB's craw from here!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1

I believe that if we can exicute this draft succesfuly and fill all the needs similar to my projected draft there will be few if any needs in the imediate future and BB can trade out and up over the next few years to save up for the next big ticket player. I believe if we can make all the picks I have chosen and they all work out we could be set for the next 3 to 5 years with little influx, other than a few FA's. All picks made in the first 3 rd's except for Ellis at 92 are extremly safe with high rates of return. All those drafts would be in play for future barganing and tradeing up. Just would like to see us sell all out on this draft to complete the picture before brady ages past his prime. Also as far as Herzilich, even though he is a feel good story I have a hard time seeing taking the risk with a pick as high as 50th overall on him with all the medical possibilities in his life that could end his carrer on the spot. As far as RB's this draft is very deep and don't be supprised if there are gems in the udfa grouping. BUT if I understand properly untill a new CBA is signed it will not be permitted to sign UDFA's. BJGE and Woodhead were UDFA's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I believe that if we can exicute this draft succesfuly and fill all the needs similar to my projected draft there will be few if any needs in the imediate future and BB can trade out and up over the next few years to save up for the next big ticket player. I believe if we can make all the picks I have chosen and they all work out we could be set for the next 3 to 5 years with little influx, other than a few FA's. All picks made in the first 3 rd's except for Ellis at 92 are extremly safe with high rates of return. All those drafts would be in play for future barganing and tradeing up. Just would like to see us sell all out on this draft to complete the picture before brady ages past his prime. 
    Posted by part-timer
    Like I said you have the right ideas. DE whichever one thrills BB's boat,OT Carimi,Constanza,Solder and again the flavor that BB likes the most,followed by the OG flavor choice again of BB's,OLB with a rush mentality and then back to the O-line. It's the big uglies that really win the games when they matter or in the patriots case lose the games when they matter based upon recent playoff games. 07,09 and 2010 all three of these games were lost because of inferior offensive lines,whether due to injury or just mistakes made by that unit.... Giants destroyed them,Ravens mauled them and the Jets sacked them...Not good......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

For me this game changes nothing...we are a great young team that needs to keep going forward with the plan... 1st and 2nd rounders all over the field. #1.- DE #2.- OLB / OL #3.- OL / OLB #4.- RB (why did we want a good RB if we are not gonna use it in the playoffs????) today we could run and run int he first half and open de pass...  
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

Sunday night I lie in bed thinking along the some of the same lines you guys are writing today.

Bill BELICEK, PAY ATTENTION. THESE ARE SOME MOVES YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO CONSIDER:
    1. fire billy o'brian. he hasn't a clue how to manage a game offensively. wake up bill and realize it. either let brady call his own plays (god he should know by now what is needed) or get a real offensive coordinator who is actually good.

2. Trade Merriweather and our early #1 to carolina and get fairly, dareous or whoever you think will be a beast on the d line (if they don't bite, get the highest you can to snag one of these guys).

3. trade our # 28 and guyton or tully banta or whoever is expendable and has value(or include a later pick or next year pick if you have to) and see if you can get up to the mid teens and get either the best offensive linemen or the best outside linebacker who is also a sack machine.

4. with # 33 get get whichever of the 2 above you didnt take (outside linebacker or offensive lineman).

5. forget trading down or worrying about stockpiling for 2012.
        eventually you have to go for it or all your players including brady will continue to pass their window of opportunity. the jets beat you in a lot of ways and one was going for the best players however you can get them f.a., draft etc while you go for quantity. neither are bad, unless you take to the extreme.

6. obviously, if you can, later in the draft or f.a,. pick up the necessary free safety, wide receiver, cornerback, running back etc that you need.

7. to me it's either get the stud players you need now or trade whatever it takes to get the #1 pick next year to get andrew luck and buiold for 3-5 years down the line(obviously a gamble-if you trade now, you dont know for sure who's pick it will be; if you wait till it's decided next year, it may take the farm to trade for the pick). obviously i don't advocate for this strategy, bu tmake a darned decision, go for it now or later. enough of this halfway mediocre nonsense.

8. obviously you need to keep all your offensive lineman. but the line has to improve. it's good, but not good enough to go against a great d line and hold up through a whole championship campaign.

9. to review: billy is gone, get stud(the best) d lineman, o lineman and outside linebacker. fill in the rest of the cracks. no more excuses. you are better than that. get what you need and get 1 or 2 championships.

thanks for everyone's post
    out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Like I said you have the right ideas. DE whichever one thrills BB's boat,OT Carimi,Constanza,Solder and again the flavor that BB likes the most,followed by the OG flavor choice again of BB's,OLB with a rush mentality and then back to the O-line. It's the big uglies that really win the games when they matter or in the patriots case lose the games when they matter based upon recent playoff games. 07,09 and 2010 all three of these games were lost because of inferior offensive lines,whether due to injury or just mistakes made by that unit.... Giants destroyed them,Ravens mauled them and the Jets sacked them...Not good......
    Posted by sportsbozo1

" 07,09 and 2010 all three of these games were lost because of inferior offensive lines,whether due to injury or just mistakes made by that unit.... Giants destroyed them,Ravens mauled them and the Jets sacked them...Not good......"

exactly! o line and lack of pass rush have been there for a while and the reason we can't get over the hump (as well as our offensive coordinator. even with all these truths, we still could've won the jets game if billy o knew what the bleep he was doing. opportunities squandered.
    address it or retire BB. You're wasting the years/opportunity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

Take a look at what players are returning to find out where we need upgrades. We have 9 picks available.This analasis may simplify the choices available:Safety: Chung,Meriweather,Mcgowen,Barrett,Sanders,Page,Brown,Lockett,apears to be more than enough quality competion for camp to shake out an accepable 4 or 5 man squad.  CB:Mccourty,Bodden,Wilhite,Arrington,Butler,Carter,two quality CB's with 3 accepable slot or nickle backs,good competition for camp,would not waist a pick here.(maby a FA?). ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton,White,usuraly any more than 3 players are just stached ST players.OLB:Ninkovich,Cunningham,Tully Banta Cain,Fletcher,(Here we could use one playmaker someware in the first 3 rounds and possibly some competion from the last 3 rounds to push the bottom of the feild).DL: Wilfork,Warren,Brace,Prior,Wright,warren Deadrick,love,Richard,Cohan,Moore, if you count Wilfork,Ty Warren,Brace,Wright,Deadrick, and Love as serious competion we have room for maby 2 more players, one imediate impact player and one prospect with a possible high rate of return, So, on defence the imediate needs are at One high impact DE,and One impact OLB, along with one DE and OLB prospect to develop for the future needs. On Offence at RB: I don't see the return of Tayler(retired),Faulk (replaced by Woodhead), or Morris(age 34),so that leaves us with Woodhead,BJGE,and Clayton. I don't see BB drafting a RB any higher than the fourth Rd. especialy in a draft as deep as this with RB's. Also I can see a vetran free agent picked up for insurance. WR: Welker,Branch,Tate,Price,Edelman,Jenkins,Farnham,We have a definate young core with high possibilities but I can see a Late Rd. pick (possible deep threat), and a vetran FA brought in to try to shake things out. TE: Crunpler,Hernandez,and Gronkowski all return with Butler in the wings,no needs at all.OL:Light will be gone with out taking a club freindly 1 or 2 year contract, Neal will retire if the club can replace him, Mankins is still a questionmark,Koppen's replacement should be found now,Connely is a well tested back up ,Wendel,ohrnberger,and Levoir haven't made the cut or Ojnnaka wouln not have been brought in.Then there is Maneri,and Austin as projects on the PS. So we have need for a Top quality DE,OLB,1st. or 2nd. rd., also later round prospect in both. We also could use mid round (4 or 5) help at RB and WR. But the area that is weakest and has the most Questions is the OL. We need 1st. rd. help at OT to avoid extending Light (Who is at 33 yrs. and talent is diminishing) We need top rated talent to replace Neil and Koppen now to reduce Mankins leverage,(Although we still need to retain him at all cost,even if it means we franchise tag him for the next year)  Our curent back ups have served us well but they are what they are, back ups. With all this in mind and the draft board stableized till the combine I see our draft board needs and the picks within reach of those needs as follows: Pick 17: J.J.Watt DE(6th) (22 overall) 6'6" 292 4.87 Pick 28: Gabe Carimi OT(5th) (29 overall) 6'7" 327 5.12 Pick 33: Mike Pouncey OG/C(1) (35 overall) 6'4" 310 5.29 Pick 60: Dontay Moch OLB(6) (62 overall) 6'1" 242 4.38 Pick 74: Benjamin Ijalana OG(4) (75 overall) 6'4" 320 5.34 Pick 92: Kenrick  Ellis DT/DE(11) (87 overall) 6'5" 340 5.07 Pick 124: Bilal Powell RB(13) (125 overall) 5'11" 215 4.52 Pick 156: Cecil Shorts III WR(16) (144 overall) 6'0" 190 4.43 Pick 184: Markus White DE/OLB(17) (192 overall) 6'4" 262 4.69 All these picks are in realistic range and fill imediate needs. If we sign Mankins long term this OL looks like this: Vollmer LT,Mankins LG ,Pouncey C,Ijalana RG,Carimi RT, both OT's can play L or R, Both OG's can play L or R, and the center can play all interior positions. J.J.Watt should be an imediate help to the DL, and if Kenrick Ellis works out we have a monster who can play any possition on the DL, including the 1 and 3 technique, with exceptional speed for his size. Dontay Moch posseses a speed not typicaly seen at his possition which will give offense's fits in his pass rush, and he could stay with any receiver in coverage. His speed and ability to make tackles behind the OL, and speed pass rush will give us a great possitive impact. Markus White is a steal at pick 184 speed power and size,prototypical 3-4 OLB if he can make the change from DE to OLB. If not he will still be an explosive pass rush option to replace TBC. Bilal Powell is a perfict power back to fill our needs, no flash just power and good blocking ability and decent receiver. BJGE II. Cecil Shorts III Has put up large amounts of yards, receiving,punt returns,kick offs, and rushing.A real burner at 4.43, but for a small school . Could be what we need if Price does not work out.
    Posted by part-timer

part-timer,
    do you really see
     Carimi OT(5th) (29 overall) 6'7" 327 5.12, 
    Pick 33: Mike Pouncey OG/C(1) (35 overall) 6'4" 310 5.29
    Pick 74: Benjamin Ijalana 

all just sitting there for us.
    doesn't anyone else want good o-linemen in the draft?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

I dont think that loss to the Jets is as bad as everyone is saying.  The Pats only gave up 1 scoring drive over 37 yards for a TD.  The Pats were moving the ball ok against the Jets defense, but some dropped balls (&),especially Crumplers, killed the Pats momentum.  I am not taking anything away from the Jets, it did look like they wanted the win more than the Pats did, but it was a tight game (scoring) until the fake punt. 
    I still think OL (2) and OLB (1) are our biggest needs (if we resign Warren), well besides trading away Meriweather.  His poor tackling has been killing this defense for too long.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Faucet,

I'm really coming around on Watt and he's moving up my board but I still think he's a player that will go in either the 10-20 range or the 30-35 range and I can't put my finger on where he's going to fall. It all depends on those 10-15 picks really. However, if he was there at 17 I would not be disappointed to grab him then anymore.

We have to fix our pass rush and OL in the first 2 picks this year. with the 33rd pick we could get incredible value trading it so I think we'll actually use both picks this year (mainly because the value at #17 is going to be worth taking and #28 will be hard to trade out of).

I'm thinking at #17 it's going to end up being Watt, Kerrigan, or Jordan. At least one of them should make it to #17

At #28 they might continue with the rush improvement or grab someone at the line. My feeling is if there isn't a run on T's he'll grab one. At #28 imo it will be either Castonzo, Houston, Wisniewski, Cannon, Barksdale, Sherrod, or Wilkerson (I think he has a ton of talent but might be to high at this pick)

At #33 it will be traded back. I'm thinking either a mid to late 2nd with a 2nd next year or a very late 2nd or early 3rd and a 1st next year.

At #60 they continue to revamp both lines and go with either Darius Morris, Solder, Alex Linnenkohl, Sione Fua (classic late 2nd "reach" pick for the Pats on a high talented little known prospect), Wilkerson (but I doubt he'll still be there) 

With the traded back pick they go with depth at either WR, S, RB imo. The one's who should be there would be Jeron Johnson, Nate Williams, Daniel Thomas, DeMarco Murray, Austin Pettis, or Dwayne Harris

At #74 they trade into the 2nd next year

Finally to cap off the 3rd at #92 they trade back getting a couple later rounds picks and maybe a 4th next year too.

They use their late picks to cast a wide net on OL and skill positions and hope they hit gold late.

But that's just how I'm thinking right now

Sections
Shortcuts