Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    syd, It does.  I think we need better WRs.  The ones we have, other than Welker who opened his damn mouth and shot us in the foot, we don't have anyone elite.  If Watt is gone and Jones is there, it's a no brainer.  We also need Bodden back.  That pass up the middle that went for a million yards right after we scored in the 3rd has to be stopped; which doesn't speak well for Meriweather either. Our D is the youngest in the NFL.  They will get better but we are missing that force at Safety (a la Rodney Harrison) who, by his mere presence, causes opposing receivers to hear footsteps and drop passes in fear.  We are missing a pass rush and a dominant DL outside Wilfork.  I sometimes think we should abandon the 3-4 until we have better personnel.  Spikes, when out there was SLOW; instinctive, but terribly slow.  The D imploded today and the O was lost.  I don't hang it all on Brady or the receivers, Rex out coached us today.  I freakin' hate saying it, but he did.  BB needs some real coordinators who can coach better than what we saw today.
    Posted by Faucetman

Amen on the WR point. I made that point just after you did. I agree with you. If Julio Jones is there at #17, and Watt is gone, I'm grabbing Julio. Upgrade and starting WR solved.

The 4 positions I want to see drafted high are DL, OL, WR and CB. No particular order, just give me the best available where we are picking that fit our scheme.
    again, I think our DL looks very different with everyone healthy, but upgrade and finding that DE we needs is an imperative.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

syd, It does.  I think we need better WRs.  The ones we have, other than Welker who opened his damn mouth and shot us in the foot, we don't have anyone elite.  If Watt is gone and Jones is there, it's a no brainer.  We also need Bodden back.  That pass up the middle that went for a million yards right after we scored in the 3rd has to be stopped; which doesn't speak well for Meriweather either. Our D is the youngest in the NFL.  They will get better but we are missing that force at Safety (a la Rodney Harrison) who, by his mere presence, causes opposing receivers to hear footsteps and drop passes in fear.  We are missing a pass rush and a dominant DL outside Wilfork.  I sometimes think we should abandon the 3-4 until we have better personnel.  Spikes, when out there was SLOW; instinctive, but terribly slow.  The D imploded today and the O was lost.  I don't hang it all on Brady or the receivers, Rex out coached us today.  I freakin' hate saying it, but he did.  BB needs some real coordinators who can coach better than what we saw today.
    Posted by Faucetman

as far as speaking about this game, our clock management was horrible. No hurry-up until it was basicly to late. There was like 8 minutes left and we were down 2 scores and just taking forever to move the ball. It is so frustrating to watch that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Not his best game, but Brady just threw for almost 300 yards and 2 TD's (with a potential 3rd being dropped by Crumpler), while completing 64.4% of his passes on a night where his receivers created little separation, forcing him to repeatedly go through read after read after read after read to try and locate an open guy, not to mention the 5 sacks, and of course BB now has to start searching for better options.   Sounds like an emotional response to a tough loss, let's be serious.

They simply didn't execute during key points in the game (i.e. Crumpler's TD drop, Chung's botched punt fake, the 4th down play late in the game, blame Brady or Branch but the ball was catchable, 3rd down D, redzone D, allowing Cromartie a large return on the 1st onside kick) and NY was able to capitalize.  It was one game, unfortunately this type of performance came at the worst possible time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat7. Show ctpat7's posts

I agree with mb. Brady is not the problem. It does seem as though he is missing the magic in clutch moments, but he is still the mvp of the league. I hope he comes through down the road and puts these past performances behind him because he really was automatic in crunch time in the past.

Nevertheless, this off-season needs to blend the solid young core with both free agent and draft talent. My to do list.

1) resign mankins- young and nasty lineman
    2) sea bass takes over at left tackle and draft a right tackle (with late 1st or early second round pick)
    3) sign champ bailey and use him as a safety to pair with chung (trade merriweather)
    a secondary with bodden, mccourty, bailey and chung would provide a mix of youth, experience and leadership this secondary has not seen in some time.
    4) use 17th pick in 1st round on best d-lineman or olb.
    5) draft olb or dl with remaining late 1st or early second round pick

I still believe this team will be better served to continue to focus on the defense. I think they can still put up a ton of points with brady and the weapons he currently has. In fact, with woody, bjge in the backfield, the young tight ends and price and tate there is a lot of young talent that hopefully gets better with age.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Faucet and MB ............ Now that I've nearly shot the dog and ripped most of my hair out I would like you to give your thoughts on what you would do now if you were BB, particularly after the devastation of today. Why can't we produce when we have to? so frustrating. Who should go, who should stay (bearing in mind salaries and contracts) and what moves in the draft and free agency should we make. I trust your judgement better that those actually running the scouting system at the Pats. Does todays' shambles change your opinions in any way?
    Posted by sydpat

syd,
    I'll start by saying, while this loss was tough to handle, it was only 1/17 of the season which is how I think BB will view it when he's going through his year end review with coaches and personnel staff in determining how they'll improve the team for 2011.

IMO, the areas below (in no particular order) represent the biggest room for improvement.

The Secondary- They need to upgrade their ability to cover and tackle in the secondary.  They are too boom/bust IMO as they lead the NFL with 25 INT's (which masked a lot of issues) however they were beat for a ton of yards through the air (30th in the NFL) and while a portion of this can be attributed to teams playing catch up while they're in prevent, they still have a lot of problems matching up as they're 24th in the league in completion % against (63.5), 21st in YPA against (7.1) and 21 in TD's against (25) .  The return of Bodden should help, but I think an upgrade in talent is needed.

The Defensive Line- This team was ravaged by injuries up front, losing Ty Warren to start the year and Wright/Brace/Pryor towards the end.  They essentially had a 7th rounder and URFA (Deadrick/Love) starting last nights game, which is not ideal when facing a team the caliber of NY.  Even at full strength, I still believe an injection of youth and talent is needed as Warren will be 30 and has missed 23 games over the last 3 years (17 in 2010 and 3 each in 2008 and 2009), Gerard Warren is gonna be 33 and will be a FA and outside of Wilfork, there is really no impact talent at the position.

Wide Receiver- Branch and Welker are the known commodities and I'd have to think that Taylor Price isn't going anywhere, though the rest of this unit leaves a lot to be desired.  Tate is really in his first year but has been inconsistent (prob more of a 4th receiver, IMO), Edelman has flashed but has a hard time getting on the field and again is inconsistent and Slater is a ST only guy.  That leaves potentially two roster spots (Edelman/Slater, assuming Branch is back) that could be targeted for an upgrade. 

Outside Linebacker- I think Cunningham is a solid player and will continue to develop however Nink, TBC and Moore are what they are, IMO.  Decent roster depth that really shouldn't see the bulk of your defensive snaps at the position.  I think all three represent area's to upgrade the roster, talent on D.

As for the OL, a lot depends on what they do with Mankins, Light, Neal and Koppen as the first two are FA's (Mankins could be franchised), Neal is injury prone and Koppen is scheduled to become a FA in 2012. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I am sick to my stomach, that was just a terrible game plan and a great on by the Jets.

The weaknesses at FS, CB, OLB, DEs and OL were at their worse.  I hope there are two OLBs that can run drafted or 1 via FA and another drafted.  Wish we could make doubles of VW but that's not happening.  I know there are a ton of Merri fans out there but I trully hope I don't have to see another year of him in a Pats uniform which I think we won't.  With McGowan and others coming back from IR Merri hope is traded.

The OL was man handled, as a team it was terrible play but worse the Jets game plan will be copied by other teams.  They don't have star people that you can say other teams don't have, it was a scheme driving game plan with good players not great which other teams can duplicate.

So with all that been said I hope the draft goes down this way:

17 - JJ Watt DE 6'6" 292Big power house that has been talked about her, problem is if he puts up big numbers at offseason workouts he could be gone by 17.
    28 - Anthony Castonzo OT 6'7" 308 Even if Light returns Castonzo is the RT of the future and adds good depth.
    33 - Mike Pouncey OL 6'4" 310Another non sexy pick but a much needed one, he can play both C or G.  If Mankins returns Pouncey will compete with Connolly or Koppen for playing time.
    56 - Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 245 What's not to like about this kid, I'm also under the believe he'll return to pre cancer form.  He is an instinctive LB which we need.  Won't give the pass rush but is probably the best cover LB day 1.
    74 - Christian Ballard DE 6'4" 298  Depth to the DL is key, G. Warren ran out gas late in the season and with injury concerns around other players having two young aggressive athletic DL is something missing in 2010.  Ballard has a great first step and can play DE or DT is subpackages to rush from inside.
    92 - Tyler Sash S 6'1" 210 One of the better cover safeties in college that's not to say he is also physical against the run which he is.  A sure tackler, great instincts and quickness.
    124 - Curtis Marsh CB 6'0" 195 A converted RB has been openning eyes, he held Titus Young to 4 catches for 34 yards.  He has a ton of upside and can play both inside in the slot or outside.  Good size and speed, physical CB that should get better with time.
    156 - Markus White OLB/DE 6'4" 262 Can rush the passer, while he develops into a 3 down OLB he will be the sub package and base passing down rusher.  Great speed, none stop motor and a leader.
    184 - Andrew Jackson OG 6'6" 295 Probably needs to develop for a year but plays with an attitude, uses great technic with also the athleticism to pull. 

Would like to get a RB but I think they will sign an UDFA at that position.  WR is another that I don't know what they would do with their current roster.  There are some good FAs coming out so don't think they'll draft another WR, might get a few UDFAs in see what happens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I am sick to my stomach, that was just a terrible game plan and a great on by the Jets. The weaknesses at FS, CB, OLB, DEs and OL were at their worse.  I hope there are two OLBs that can run drafted or 1 via FA and another drafted.  Wish we could make doubles of VW but that's not happening.  I know there are a ton of Merri fans out there but I trully hope I don't have to see another year of him in a Pats uniform which I think we won't.  With McGowan and others coming back from IR Merri hope is traded. The OL was man handled, as a team it was terrible play but worse the Jets game plan will be copied by other teams.  They don't have star people that you can say other teams don't have, it was a scheme driving game plan with good players not great which other teams can duplicate. So with all that been said I hope the draft goes down this way: 17 - JJ Watt DE 6'6" 292 Big power house that has been talked about her, problem is if he puts up big numbers at offseason workouts he could be gone by 17. 28 - Anthony Castonzo OT 6'7" 308  Even if Light returns Castonzo is the RT of the future and adds good depth. 33 - Mike Pouncey OL 6'4" 310 Another non sexy pick but a much needed one, he can play both C or G.  If Mankins returns Pouncey will compete with Connolly or Koppen for playing time. 56 - Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 245   What's not to like about this kid, I'm also under the believe he'll return to pre cancer form.  He is an instinctive LB which we need.  Won't give the pass rush but is probably the best cover LB day 1. 74 - Christian Ballard DE 6'4" 298   Depth to the DL is key, G. Warren ran out gas late in the season and with injury concerns around other players having two young aggressive athletic DL is something missing in 2010.  Ballard has a great first step and can play DE or DT is subpackages to rush from inside. 92 - Tyler Sash S 6'1" 210 One of the better cover safeties in college that's not to say he is also physical against the run which he is.  A sure tackler, great instincts and quickness. 124 - Curtis Marsh CB 6'0" 195 A converted RB has been openning eyes, he held Titus Young to 4 catches for 34 yards.  He has a ton of upside and can play both inside in the slot or outside.  Good size and speed, physical CB that should get better with time. 156 - Markus White OLB/DE 6'4" 262 Can rush the passer, while he develops into a 3 down OLB he will be the sub package and base passing down rusher.  Great speed, none stop motor and a leader. 184 - Andrew Jackson OG 6'6" 295  Probably needs to develop for a year but plays with an attitude, uses great technic with also the athleticism to pull.  Would like to get a RB but I think they will sign an UDFA at that position.  WR is another that I don't know what they would do with their current roster.  There are some good FAs coming out so don't think they'll draft another WR, might get a few UDFAs in see what happens.
    Posted by Pats7393

I think you nailed the weakness very well. I too would like to see Meriweather traded. That long catch by Cotchery last night was in part on him..again taking bad angles. How he makes the probowl is anyone's guess.

Given so many 3-4 teams, I can't see Watt making it to 17, but I'm hopeful.
    I like the Costonzo and Pouncey picks as I think they upgrade our line considerably. Just not sure we grab OL talent with both 28 and 33...I can see one of those spots going to the OL and possibly the other to the DL or OLB positions. I also like most of your other picks. It will interesting what they do with the current LB's/DE's on the roster. If Fletcher, TBC, Moore will return?

Curiously enough, I didn't see any WR's on your list. I have this position as a area of weakness as well. I think if Watts is not there at 17, we should go ahead and grab Julio Jones if he is there...or possibly address the WR via FA..OchoCinco anyone?. Use 28 on Costonzo or Pouncy, and 33 on Houston if he is there, or vice versa. Imperative to sign either Light or Mankins or preferably both for next year.

Question on Herzlich....Does anyone at this point think he is a starting OLB, or can be day 1 for the Pats? Because this is what we will need. TBC, Nink are good for depth. We need a starting caliber OLB day 1.

I'm hopeful that if we have a good draft like this last year, this team will be back in a position to challenge next year. I guess this will keep us going in the offseason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I just hope we use all 3 picks.

RB
    OL
    DE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Further to my last post.....If Watt is not hanging around at 17, 2 more names I would add to my list of good DL prospects are Stephen Paea and Corey Liuget. Each are over 300 lbs, but Liuget is 2 inches taller than Paea at 6'3", 300 lbs, Paea at 6'1", 310lbs.  

I think Liuget's size might squeek him into our discussion for the 3-4 DE spot, and he should be able to be had at the bottom of round 1.

MB/anyone else...have you done any analysis on Liuget and Paea and what do you think about each of them in our 3-4 DE spot?

How do each compare to Brace, Wright, Pryor?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet and MB

Can you or someone else explain to me why both Wes Welker and Tom Brady have both come out and said that because the Jets usually plan man to man coverage which also includes plenty of blitzes, there was confusion when the Jets changed to zone and dropping back players in coverage.

HELLO aren't they coached to change calls etc by reading defences......isn't that what Tom has been good at for years. Do we have the players to read this.
    If not they shouldn't accept their pay cheques.

The OL worries me greatly. Jets send only three or four against five OL and two TE blockers and still have Brady running for cover. You serious.

I had a premonition that Algae Crumpler would be a dark horse for a reception but not to be used as much as he was. Where was Hernandez? He is a nightmare matchup for defence.

When LT scored I saw Gary Guyton put his hand up to say I have him covered , moved across and arrived late. He is supposed to have real speed for an ILB.
    We don't intimidate teams with our tackles and need a big hitter like Suggs, Lewis or the Steelers line backers.

Sorry to sound critical but it is annoying that we can't produce the same performance when it counts.

Could also get into play calling at critical times. Last quarter was a joke with time management and not passing.

Do you now think RB is a high need. Jets weren't worried about ours.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm going to do something a bit different this year.  Instead of just using a half dozen or so draft boards to develop my own using averages and statistics I'm going to include TEAM NEEDS as a key input to rank players.  I will refine this leading up to the draft as more data comes in and free agency moves effect this.  I've already set my board with 133 top players which I will grow to 250 as time goes on.  I've already given this a quick look and here are some observations.  The below chart shows the "Action" or the number of new starters teams need and the number of quality players available in my top 133 (which will grow).

Based on the below chart we can expect to see a lot of early "action" at QB, TE, OT, OG, C, OLB, ILB, SS and FS.  Conversely, there will be less action, so more quality depth that can be had later in the draft then where a player should rank at RB, WR, and DT.  There is just about enough talent for need at DE, CB, P, and K.  I will refine the below to account for 34 and 43 teams for DT, DE and OLB.  If the Pats are smart, they will use a chart like this and perhaps get their OT, OG and OLB pretty early on while waiting on RB and WR.

PositionActionAvailable
    QB127
    RB1016
    WR916
    TE94
    OT1813
    OG218
    C93
    K01
    DE1613
    DT1115
    OLB2011
    ILB115
    SS184
    FS112
    CB1514
    P01
    Total190133

I also looked at the positions were the need is dire.  There are 4 teams in dire need of an upgrade at QB IMO, they are Buffalo, Tennessee, Washington and Arizona.  All four teams pick before our 17.  The Raiders and Lions have dire needs at CB, so I look for those teams to fill those needs the first chance they get. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

#17 - Offensive Coordinator

#28 - A WR that can get separation and Catch the F'in Ball.

#33 - An  OLB that can actually apply constant pressure.

#56 - An ILB that can actually cover the middle of the field.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Thanks Mordecai but that pass was not in Branch's hands. It seemed to me to be thrown behind him, and Branch had to do a good bit of stretching to pull it in...but again, just my perception. I know Brady is still one of the best QB's in the game. And, i probably wouldn't cash him in for anyone at this point, but my point is the last 3 playoff loses have a lot to do with him, but so does going 14-2 this season. As great as he is, I get a sick feeling in my stomach to think that one of the best of all time, the guy that is supposed to be absolutely clutch come big game time, has had no so stellar post season efforts for the past 3 post season games. Anyhow...if this game did anything for me, it's helped me think a bit more clearly about the draft. I am convinced we need to put some serious effort in improving both the DL and OL, taking a WR fairly high, and another CB. I am really leaning on using our first 4 picks and not trading...DL, OL, WR, CB. I want to see us draft for these positions specifically with our first 4 picks.  Watching the last few games, including tonight, I'm convinced Tate is not the answer at WR and possibly not even as a KR. I'm ready to draft his replacement next year. The DL is a bit more dicey because we have several players who should be back next year that were hurt. I think this defnese is very different with TWarren, Pryor, Wright and Brace all healthy and playing. Not as much concerned with the line, but still would like to see a significant upgrade. OL we all know needs improvement. I don't know where Connolly was today, but he wasn't blocking. I don't think he is a starting RG right now, and if Mankins leaves, that means we need 2. CB...we all saw Butler give up that long pass to Edwards. He and Arrington are not starting caliber CB's on our team. Both are nickel/dime CB's at best.  Perhaps I am being a bit too harsh because of the loss tonight, but I think we saw a lot of deficiencies across the board. Perhaps some of these were camoflauged throughout the year, but tonight inthe biggest game of the year, they were exposed.  
    Posted by PatsLifer

Patslifer, I just rewatched that play 5 times, it hit him directly in the hands.  He did make an amazing play to get his hands there as the ball was behind him, but anytime the ball hits dead on your hands u need to grab it in the NFL. 
    Yes we had a ton of issues, many of which were not there during the season such as the OL stinking.  I think we need to go old school, bring back smashmouth D and OL.  Brady might get hit more if we bring in some mauling OL, but we can run more and that should alleviate some of the hits and pressure.  We also need a more consistent D.  Yes, we turned it on late in the season, but with turnovers.  They are great to get, but consistency is important and we seem to lack that right now.  All of the games this year where we didnt win the turnover battle, were losses. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

The Jets executed their game plan very well...no turnovers, very few penalties, which kept them in the game. I thought when they missed the FG after the Brady interception, we were golden. But, a failed fake punt and poor clock management, led to a disappointing loss. The thing I really noticed from a personnel standpoint were Connolly and Koppen getting hammered...and by Pione?? Not like it was Kris Jenkins or even anyone that is "supposedly" good.

The other key thing was Brady took several sacks because the receivers were not even close to being open. Amazing his stats were as good as they were. No adjustments on getting people open...just continued to struggle.

I will also say Belichick didn't have the team ready to go....they didn't have the same fire that the Jets had...you could see it early. Other than Wilfork, I didn't see anyone with any fire...Mankins, but not in a good way with a stupid penalty.
    So, with that in mind....my thoughts are best player available at 17, hopefully getting D-line or OLB, with a couple of quality lineman to get younger and more aggressive in the 2nd round. Would love for us to spend some "Adalius-type" money get an impact player on defense...like Lamarr Woodley. Also think we need to upgrade the receiving corps before Tom ages more.

Hard day to get through...I couldn't even pull up any sports site today.

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Patslifer, I just rewatched that play 5 times, it hit him directly in the hands.  He did make an amazing play to get his hands there as the ball was behind him, but anytime the ball hits dead on your hands u need to grab it in the NFL.  Yes we had a ton of issues, many of which were not there during the season such as the OL stinking.  I think we need to go old school, bring back smashmouth D and OL.  Brady might get hit more if we bring in some mauling OL, but we can run more and that should alleviate some of the hits and pressure.  We also need a more consistent D.  Yes, we turned it on late in the season, but with turnovers.  They are great to get, but consistency is important and we seem to lack that right now.  All of the games this year where we didnt win the turnover battle, were losses. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Without even reading any of the recent posts... If anyone all of a sudden is changing mocks for areas of weakness solely on the last game watched then that drives me bananas.

Anyway, I hope its not going to be like 2007 when they lost the super bowl and i had to debate half a dozen people about the offensive line except this year someone choosing some other position of choice.

Please lets not have anyone over react to team needs based on a disappointing loss.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

#17 - Offensive Coordinator #28 - A WR that can get separation and Catch the F'in Ball. #33 - An  OLB that can actually apply constant pressure. #56 - An ILB that can actually cover the middle of the field.
    Posted by tcal2-

Would you be happy with the Patriots acquiring Ochocinco, instead of drafting a WR in the 1st 2 rounds?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys, nothing changes in terms of team needs based on one game.  I was worried about us being over confident and rusty after the long 2 weeks off, plus we had gone so long without turning the ball over and we finished the season on an 8 game win streak.  Long streaks worry me because the odds of them continuing diminish with each play/game.  I wished we had dropped the Dolphins game at the end or the Green Bay game just so we would've gotten it out of the way. 

Bottom line our D was just too young and inexperienced and we were out coached and out played in that game.  The Jets wanted it more, you could see it.  Brady and Welker were sitting on the sidelines in the 2nd quarter looking dejected after a 3 and out and they weren't talking to each other; instead of discussing what was happening on the fields and needed adjustments.  But heck, I never in a million years thought we'd go 14-2 with this young team and that tough schedule when the season started especially after losing Bodden and Warren.  My hat is off the BB and the boys for a remarkable season.  Atlanta was also the 1 seed and they went down in flames.  32 teams start out with one goal, 12 get to achieve the first goal but only one gets to hold the prize.  We finished 5th.

We will be back with a better team next year.  The Jets and Dolphins have more holes to fill with fewer draft picks.  The Jets also have more impact free agents to worry about keeping than do the Patriots.

The PATRIOTS:

Draft picks: 17, 28, 33, 60, 74, 92
    Key Free Agents are: Logan Mankins and Matt Light.

The JETS:

Draft Picks: No better than 29, 93
    Key Free Agents: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Shaun Ellis, David Harris, and Antonio Cromartie

The DOLPHINS:

Draft Picks: 15, 79
    Key Free Agents: Chad Pennington, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, and Lousaka Polite

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes nothing has changed I always felt the pass rush was severely lacking and it was blatant this game. I still think we will trade 1 of our top 3 picks. My feeling is that they need to replace Light, get a good RG, get a pass rusher, and get a DE that can set the edge but also come in the rush

My feeling is the same as it's always been, they will trade a couple picks back and get 2 DL's, 3 OL's, 1 S, 1 OLB/DE, 1 RB, and 1 WR/CB

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

PatsEng,

I think there is a 50/50 chance JJ Watt will be there at 17.  If so, I wouldn't take any chances by trading down, I'd just take him.  If Watt is gone and Julio Jones somehow slips to 17, same thing, I'd just take him and not fool around.  If both guys are gone, yes, I could see trading down 5-10 spots and landing one of the top OTs.  However, based on my earlier post, OT is a big need area for a lot of teams.  There could be some heavy action on them once we get past the top 8 picks starting with OT starved Dallas.  Fortunately for us, we could hold off and draft a RT further back and move Vollmer to LT.  That could be a smart play for us to us pick 60 or 74 on, a right tackle.

At 28 is where I see us possibly going with a pass rushing OLB, Aldon Smith or Justin Houston.  One should be there, Kerrigan will be gone.

At 33 if we are losing Mankins, I'd hope for Wisniewski to still be available.  He could end up being as good as Mankins and he also can play center so tremendous value I think for him.  Or, we could wait until 74 or 92 to land an OG, perhaps Schilling, Moffitt or an OT type that will convert to OG, Zeimba perhaps.

RB and WR are deep positions in this draft, not elite talent but solid 2-3 round talent will be available all the way through the 4th and 5th rounds.  There is also a lot of depth at DT and CB in this draft.  I personally think we are set there with Bodden and Warren returning and the guys we have, especially if we land JJ Watt. 

However, top talent is thin at Safety and lots of teams have S needs.  Around the league there is need for 29 starting caliber safeties but just 6 that I'd consider top 3 round worthy.  Now we could hold off a year but if we want to find the next Rodney Harrison, it could be Kenny Tate of Maryland.  He isn't high on a lot of boards yet but he could end up being the best in his class meaning around pick 33 for him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Some notable, potential Patriots radar weigh-ins from the East-West Shrine Game:

Delone Carter RB Syracuse- 5-8.8 225

Ricky Elmore DE/OLB Arizona- 6-4.3 255

Andrew Jackson OG Fresno State- 6-5.1 302 (32 inch arms)

Jeron Johnson SS Boise State- 5-10.2 210

Shiloh Keo SS Idaho- 5-11.4 223

Jeff Maehl WR Oregon- 6-0.1 181

Caleb Schlauderoff OG Utah- 6-4.2 310 (31.5/8 inch arms)

Ryan Winterswyk DE/OLB Boise State- 6-3.7 268

Justin Trattou DE/OLB Florida- 6-3.3 254

Cecil Shorts WR Mount Union- 5-11.7 200

Jah Reid OT UCF- 6-7.3 325 (34 inch arms)

Adam Grant OT Arizona- 6-5.7 327 (33.3/4 inch arms)

Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin- 6-2 209

Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland- 5-11 210

Aldrick Robinson WR SMU- 5-9.6 181

Another notable that got some burn on this thread was Dontay Moch, the OLB from Nevada, he weighed in at 6-1.3 229 which I think takes him out of the discussion as a fit for NE's scheme.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'd include the below to Mb's list for those to watch:

RB Vai Taua - 5th round to undrafted
    RB Evan Royster - 4-6th round
    DT Marvin Austin - 2nd round
    OG Zachary Hurd - 6th round
    OT Christian Hairston - 4-6 round, maybe as a RT

Here's the complete list, the rosters are listed with the East Team first, West Team following.

NamePos.College
    Kyle AdamsTEPurdue
    Pierre AllenDENebraska
    Marvin AustinDTNorth Carolina
    JC BrignoneCMississippi State
    Bryant BrowningOGOhio State
    Delone CarterRBSyracuse
    Akem DentILBGeorgia
    Patrick DevlinQBDelaware
    Ricky DobbsQBNavy
    Ryan DonahuePIowa
    Charles GanttTEMichigan State
    Eric GordonSSMichigan State
    Christian HairstonOTClemson
    Jermale HinesSSOhio State
    Douglas HogueOLBSyracuse
    Randall HuntOGIllinois
    Zachary HurdOGConnecticut
    Brian LainhartFSKent State
    Gregory Lyoyd IIILBConnecticut
    Cliff MatthewsDESouth Carolina
    Terrell McClainDTUSF
    Josh McNaryOLBArmy
    Bruce MillerDEUCF
    Jonas MoutonOLBMichigan
    Martin ParkerDTRichmond
    Jah ReidOTUCF
    Evan RoysterRBPenn State
    David SimsSSIowa State
    Greg SmithTETexas
    Tyrod TaylorQBVirginia Tech
    Terrence ToliverWRLSU
    Terrence TurnerWRIndiana
    Demarcus Van DykeCBMiami
    Lawrence WilsonILBConnecticut

Name

Pos.

College
    David ArkinOGMissouri State
    Brandon BairDTOregon
    Jordan CameronTEUSC
    David CarterDTUCLA
    Chris CarterOLBFresno State
    Chris ConteFSCalifornia
    Ricky ElmoreDEArizona
    Nathan EnderleQBIdaho
    Adam GrantOTArizona
    Alex GreenRBHawaii
    Virgil Green IITENevada
    Trevor HankinsPArizona State
    Andrew JacksonOGFresno State
    Ben JacobsILBFresno State
    Jeron JohnsonSSBoise State
    Jerrod JohnsonQBTexas A&M
    Shiloh KeoSSIdaho
    Karl KlugDEIowa
    Orie LemonILBOklahoma State
    Alex LinnenkohlCOregon State
    Dontay MochOLBNevada
    Michael MohamedILBCalifornia
    Jonathan NelsonSSOklahoma
    Caleb SchlauderaffOGUtah
    Justin Taplin-RossSSUtah
    Vai TauaRBNevada
    Julius ThomasTEPortland State
    Brandyn ThompsonCBBoise State
    Scott TolzienQBWisconsin
    Winston VenableOLBBoise State
    Ryan WhalenWRStanford
    Nate WilliamsSSWashington
    Zachary WilliamsOGWashington State
    Ryan WinterswkeDEBoise State

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

I've had a day to digest the horrible loss, and my outlook for the future of the Pats remains extremely positive.  Look at the facts, we went 14-2 with a team comprised largely of first & second year guys.  Everyone seems to be healthy heading into the offseason.  We will potentially make 5 picks in the draft before the Jets even make their second (baring trades...)  We still have the best head coach and QB in the buisness, and this loss will make them hungrier than ever.  I really hope we spend 2 high picks on WR and OL, as well as make a big defensive free agent signing.  All in all, this season far exceeded my expectations and I think our young players will learn from this loss and preform better in the future.  Here's to a phenomanel off-season!
    PS-  Go NFC in the Super Bowl!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Actually, with the 33rd pick, I wouldn't mind if the Pats took Jake Locker if he is still on the board.  Brady will be 34 next season.  Let Locker sit for three years then take the reigns.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Some notable, potential Patriots radar weigh-ins from the East-West Shrine Game: Delone Carter RB Syracuse- 5-8.8 225 Ricky Elmore DE/OLB Arizona- 6-4.3 255 Andrew Jackson OG Fresno State- 6-5.1 302 (32 inch arms) Jeron Johnson SS Boise State- 5-10.2 210 Shiloh Keo SS Idaho- 5-11.4 223 Jeff Maehl WR Oregon- 6-0.1 181 Caleb Schlauderoff OG Utah- 6-4.2 310 (31.5/8 inch arms) Ryan Winterswyk DE/OLB Boise State- 6-3.7 268 Justin Trattou DE/OLB Florida- 6-3.3 254 Cecil Shorts WR Mount Union- 5-11.7 200 Jah Reid OT UCF- 6-7.3 325 (34 inch arms) Adam Grant OT Arizona- 6-5.7 327 (33.3/4 inch arms) Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin- 6-2 209 Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland- 5-11 210 Aldrick Robinson WR SMU- 5-9.6 181 Another notable that got some burn on this thread was Dontay Moch, the OLB from Nevada, he weighed in at 6-1.3 229 which I think takes him out of the discussion as a fit for NE's scheme.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I'm going to be looking at Andres Jackson, I think he would be a late round gem.  He's a blue collar kid with a nasty streak to him.  another one Winterswyk, can he bring the heat and cover.

Their base will be a 43 in that game, anyone know?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

IQ can you see what else you can find out about Tyler Sash, saw little of him play but what I've been reading this kid is a very good safety prospect.  He played SS but has the cover skills and speed to play FS. 

Sections
Shortcuts