2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

Honestly, after the top CB's such as Peterson, Amukamara, & Harris, I really don't see any CB's that I'd consider as bonafide upgrades at this point via the draft. 

What I'd do if I were Belicheck would be to go hard after Asommugha, who will probably be seeking somewhere around $12-13 mil per season.  However, after making that move, I'd immediately either trade or waive Bodden who is making $6 mil/yr, with the idea that basically you're upgrading the position by adding only a net gain of only $6-7 mil to the cap despite his high salary demands.

Another reason why I wouldn't probably go the draft route, is because as is, our defense is extremely young and would benefit greatly from having a veteran presence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

The thing that really stands out to me after looking over the numerous mock drafts this year is how crappy the analysis has been for why certain players are said to be going were they're supposedly suppose to go.

For example, I've constantly seen Robert Quinn mocked to go within the top 5-10 picks despite missing a full season of football.  I realize that the guy has top 5 talent, but really when has there ever been a precident for someone being drafted so high after missing this amount of playing time?  I've followed the draft for years, and have never, ever seen this happen!  What typically ends up being the case, is that the player shows up to the combine and doen't workout nearly as well as anticipated, and thus slides down the draft board.  I'm not necessarily saying he'll be a low first rounder like Dez Bryant was last year, but it seems to me that it's more realistic to say that he goes somewhere in the early to mid teens rather picks 5-8.

I also keep seeing Miami being mentioned as targeting Ingram with their 15th pick.  I'm sorry, but that's way too high for Ingram espicially in light of the down year that he just had.  Why would Miami take him so high?  I understand that they need a RB and that they very well may end up drafting him.  But if I'm Miami, and I'm targeting him in the draft with my pick, I trade down in the first and do it while also acquiring an additional pick, as that would represent the best value, not over-reaching as these mocks would suggest.

Then there's the DT Paea.  Talk about the proverbial wild card.  I've seen this guy mentioned as a bonafide top 10 pick on some boards, while others mention him as a fringe 1st rounder at best.  ESPN for what it's worth has him rated as their #11 rated overall prospect right now.  With no clear consensus on where this kid may go, he go easily end screwing up many of these mocks come draft time.

Lastly, I have yet to see mocks factor in free agency or potential trades in terms of how that could drastically affect the draft.  For instance, the big wild card for me isn't New England with our stock pile of draft picks, it a team like the Redskins who will be looking to trade Mcnabb to QB needy teams and/or Haynesworth to teams in need of a DE/DT.  Granted both players may end only fetching 2nd round picks apiece.  However, Many of these mocks are currently top heavy with QB's and DL prospects.  Therefore, trades could dramatically blow a hole in these mocks.

For example, take Arizona with the 5th pick, they could very well be the landing spot for McNabb as he was rumored to be going there via trade as far back to when he was still playing in Philly.  Then there Larry Fitzgerald who's in the last year on his deal and is looking to get traded/sign another mega-deal, and all of a sudden Julio Jones if A.J. Green is already off the board, could be a likely candidate at #5 which would be way earlier than anybody had previously expected he would go.  After watching the draft over these many years, there's one thing that's a draft day certainty, and that is that there will be at least one player that gets picked way ealier than any of the gurus expected, while also causing another highly regarded player to subsequently slide way down the board, further an anyone had predicted.

All I'm saying is that most of these mocks have been mediocre at best and lacking insight, therefore I'd take them with a serious grain of salt when referring to them when discussing whom you think the Pats will select in the draft etc...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]The thing that really stands out to me after looking over the numerous mock drafts this year is how crappy the analysis has been for why certain players are said to be going were they're supposedly suppose to go. For example, I've constantly seen Robert Quinn mocked to go within the top 5-10 picks despite missing a full season of football.  I realize that the guy has top 5 talent, but really when has there ever been a precident for someone being drafted so high after missing this amount of playing time?  I've followed the draft for years, and have never, ever seen this happen!  What typically ends up being the case, is that the player shows up to the combine and doen't workout nearly as well as anticipated, and thus slides down the draft board.  I'm not necessarily saying he'll be a low first rounder like Dez Bryant was last year, but it seems to me that it's more realistic to say that he goes somewhere in the early to mid teens rather picks 5-8. I also keep seeing Miami being mentioned as targeting Ingram with their 15th pick.  I'm sorry, but that's way too high for Ingram espicially in light of the down year that he just had.  Why would Miami take him so high?  I understand that they need a RB and that they very well may end up drafting him.  But if I'm Miami, and I'm targeting him in the draft with my pick, I trade down in the first and do it while also acquiring an additional pick, as that would represent the best value, not over-reaching as these mocks would suggest. Then there's the DT Paea.  Talk about the proverbial wild card.  I've seen this guy mentioned as a bonafide top 10 pick on some boards, while others mention him as a fringe 1st rounder at best.  ESPN for what it's worth has him rated as their #11 rated overall prospect right now.  With no clear consensus on where this kid may go, he go easily end screwing up many of these mocks come draft time. Lastly, I have yet to see mocks factor in free agency or potential trades in terms of how that could drastically affect the draft.  For instance, the big wild card for me isn't New England with our stock pile of draft picks, it a team like the Redskins who will be looking to trade Mcnabb to QB needy teams and/or Haynesworth to teams in need of a DE/DT.  Granted both players may end only fetching 2nd round picks apiece.  However, Many of these mocks are currently top heavy with QB's and DL prospects.  Therefore, trades could dramatically blow a hole in these mocks. For example, take Arizona with the 5th pick, they could very well be the landing spot for McNabb as he was rumored to be going there via trade as far back to when he was still playing in Philly.  Then there Larry Fitzgerald who's in the last year on his deal and is looking to get traded/sign another mega-deal, and all of a sudden Julio Jones if A.J. Green is already off the board, could be a likely candidate at #5 which would be way earlier than anybody had previously expected he would go.  After watching the draft over these many years, there's one thing that's a draft day certainty, and that is that there will be at least one player that gets picked way ealier than any of the gurus expected, while also causing another highly regarded player to subsequently slide way down the board, further an anyone had predicted. All I'm saying is that most of these mocks have been mediocre at best and lacking insight, therefore I'd take them with a serious grain of salt when referring to them when discussing whom you think the Pats will select in the draft etc...
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE] All the mock drafts are simply tools to get an idea of what the so called experts think any given team might need and then assigning player X to team Y. You would be 100% right if you said that your mock draft is as good as Mel's or Todd's.One thing that's for sure noone not even BB himself knows in which direction he will go come draft day. Heck BB could get up on draft day and say skip this let's trade both of our picks and come back tomorrow,so much for any first round projections as far as BB and the Patriots are concerned...Crapshooting 101

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Sportsbozo,

I think you missed my entire point.  While it's true that experts, as you pointed out, assign player x to team y based on percieved need.  You failed to grasp (in my opinion) the fact that their analysis for assigning player x to team y is severely wrong.

Furthermore, I think that most mocks simply rate players according to percieved draft stock rather than team needs.  In other words, if player x is said to be a top 5 pick, they find a way to slot the guy in on their mocks according to how high/low the player may be rated.

in addition, I noticed that most mock fall in love with a certain team selecting a particular player such as with Miami and Ingram at #15, when assessing the team more critically and where said player could fall if not selected in that spot might end up, would indicate that in this situation Miami even if infatuated with Ingam could in fact just trade down to the bottom of the first round and select him there while also acquiring another pick.  But you would never see any analysis like this because most mocks simply copy picks off of one another rather than offering any real insight.  Yes you're right, in the end we probably will be all wrong regarding our mocks, but atleast we can offer insight as to why players might go where we think they will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : -
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

RR, this one's for you, Bud!

Imitation is the sincerest of flattery." 
      --  Charles Caleb Colton

Did you forget thoughts about the draft in your double-post here?

I think that Pats may also think about drafting another DB with their second round #2 pick and Brown of UT may be a good way to go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I just finished watching the Stanford bowl game, way behind in seeing some of these games.  Andrew Luck is flat out amazing!!  He is every bit worth the hype.  Not only is he smart and accurate, he can run.  In the post game interviews he appeared very humble giving credit to his teammates when he was clearly the best player on the field and in the nation. 

My point is, if Carolina would like their pick 33 back, I would really consider trading it for their 2012 1st.  If Carolina finishes at the bottom again next year, we draft Luck.  We give him 1-2 years to learn behind Brady then he takes over in 2014.  If Carolina doesn't finish dead last, they should still be a bottom 5 team.   They might be willing to do it too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Angel, I thought your analysis on mock drafts was pretty darn good.  Of course no one can predict where free agents will go thus to factor that in would be impossible especially for the acquiring team.  However, we can factor in teams that are pretty certain to be losing a player like the Raiders with Asommugha and the Redskins with McNabb and Haynesworth.  Those are pretty certain outcomes. 

As for a lot of boards having the Dolphins drafting Ingram, I agree.  Assuming Ingram is the best RB in the country, and I certainly have my doubts about that since he isn't even the best RB at Alabama, the Dolphins are the first logical team to draft a RB.  The Dolphins are set to potentially lose their top three RBs to free agency in Williams, Brown and Polite.  RB at this juncture would appear to be their top need.  But this doesn't mean Ingram would be their choice.  A lot of people like Mikel LeShoure or Shane Vereen better.  In looking at the Dolphins, they could certainly go QB or C/OG like Pouncey or Wisniewski.  RBs are a dime a dozen this year and good ones could be had later.  If not all of the top 4 QBs are taken by the QB hungry teams ahead of the Dolphins, they could certainly go that direction.  The Dolphins don't have a second round pick so the smart play for them would be QB, DE or C/OG then they could come back in the 3rd or 4th to get a RB. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE] Lastly, I have yet to see mocks factor in free agency or potential trades in terms of how that could drastically affect the draft.  For instance, the big wild card for me isn't New England with our stock pile of draft picks, it a team like the Redskins who will be looking to trade Mcnabb to QB needy teams and/or Haynesworth to teams in need of a DE/DT.  Granted both players may end only fetching 2nd round picks apiece.  However, Many of these mocks are currently top heavy with QB's and DL prospects.  Therefore, trades could dramatically blow a hole in these mocks. For example, take Arizona with the 5th pick, they could very well be the landing spot for McNabb as he was rumored to be going there via trade as far back to when he was still playing in Philly.  Then there Larry Fitzgerald who's in the last year on his deal and is looking to get traded/sign another mega-deal, and all of a sudden Julio Jones if A.J. Green is already off the board, could be a likely candidate at #5 which would be way earlier than anybody had previously expected he would go.  After watching the draft over these many years, there's one thing that's a draft day certainty, and that is that there will be at least one player that gets picked way ealier than any of the gurus expected, while also causing another highly regarded player to subsequently slide way down the board, further an anyone had predicted. All I'm saying is that most of these mocks have been mediocre at best and lacking insight, therefore I'd take them with a serious grain of salt when referring to them when discussing whom you think the Pats will select in the draft etc...
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE]

of course the experts can't make mock drafts with relation to FA because none of them know who each team is going to sign/resign.  They just simply use the available information of who a team currently needs and then bases on which position the team is looking to bolster.  Mock drafts are simply guesses and for us tools to look at players to see who would fit our system and a chance for us fans to act as scouts for our favorite teams.  I personally love when players who i project in my mocks do well in the NFL it is even better when a player i select in my mock is selected by the pats and does well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

To touch on the topic of FA, outside of their own FA's below are 12 players that from a schematic fit, may interest BB:

RB- Pierre Thomas (5-11 215)
    RB- Brian Leonard (6-1 225)
    RB- Heath Evans (6-0 250)
    WR- Steve Smith (NYG) (5-11 195)
    WR- Mark Clayton (5-10 190)
    OLB- Manny Lawson (6-5 240)
    OLB- Matt Roth- (6-4 275)
    DE- Marcus Spears (6-4 309)
    DE- Kevin Vickerson (6-5 305)
    CB- Richard Marshall (5-11 189)
    S- Eric Weddle (5-11 200)
    S- Sean Considine (6-0 212)

I'd love to see them make a huge splash for Tamba Hali, but I don't see Pioli letting him leave KC.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]To touch on the topic of FA, outside of their own FA's below are 12 players that from a schematic fit, may interest BB: RB- Pierre Thomas (5-11 215) RB- Brian Leonard (6-1 225) RB- Heath Evans (6-0 250) WR- Steve Smith (NYG) (5-11 195) WR- Mark Clayton (5-10 190) OLB- Manny Lawson (6-5 240) OLB- Matt Roth- (6-4 275) DE- Marcus Spears (6-4 309) DE- Kevin Vickerson (6-5 305) CB- Richard Marshall (5-11 189) S- Eric Weddle (5-11 200) S- Sean Considine (6-0 212) I'd love to see them make a huge splash for Tamba Hali, but I don't see Pioli letting him leave KC.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

there is a chnace of Hali hitting the open market due to the fact that the franchise tag number for a OLB is $8.304m and for a DE it is $8.991m. the question is would pioli pay him that?  but yes i doubt he leaves Kansas City.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

To pick up on Angel's idea, going after Nnamdi Asomugha could make a ton of sense.  It was reported that he was looking for something in the $16MM range but maybe he'd come here for less.  Let's just say $13MM would land him.  We could afford him if we cut or traded Bodden and tag and traded Mankins.  Those two moves pay for Asomugha.  Or, we cut Bodden and Branch.  

We might be able to tag and trade Mankins for a 2nd round pick.  There are so many teams needing OG help we could really trade Mankins to just about anyone.  But since Mankins would need to sign the tag he would likely need to be agreeable to going to the new team.  I'm looking at the Raiders.  He's from that area, they need OG help and they have no first round pick.  Since the Raiders won't be signing Asomugha, they could afford Mankins since he'd be about half the cost.

Think about adding Asomugha to McCourty and gaining a mid 2nd round pick.  We're likely going to lose Mankins after 2011 anyway.  Asomugha is better than any CB draft pick including Peterson.  We could have a lock down secondary before the draft even starts and 3 seconds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Outkast1978. Show Outkast1978's posts

[QUOTE]Honestly, after the top CB's such as Peterson, Amukamara, & Harris, I really don't see any CB's that I'd consider as bonafide upgrades at this point via the draft.  What I'd do if I were Belicheck would be to go hard after Asommugha, who will probably be seeking somewhere around $12-13 mil per season.  However, after making that move, I'd immediately either trade or waive Bodden who is making $6 mil/yr, with the idea that basically you're upgrading the position by adding only a net gain of only $6-7 mil to the cap despite his high salary demands. Another reason why I wouldn't probably go the draft route, is because as is, our defense is extremely young and would benefit greatly from having a veteran presence.

I disagree i would like to see them take a shot at this kid from texas aaron williams he could be a very good CB on the next level.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk4QdMwWy6Q

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

[QUOTE]To pick up on Angel's idea, going after Nnamdi Asomugha could make a ton of sense.  It was reported that he was looking for something in the $16MM range but maybe he'd come here for less.  Let's just say $13MM would land him.  We could afford him if we cut or traded Bodden and tag and traded Mankins.  Those two moves pay for Asomugha.  Or, we cut Bodden and Branch.   We might be able to tag and trade Mankins for a 2nd round pick.  There are so many teams needing OG help we could really trade Mankins to just about anyone.  But since Mankins would need to sign the tag he would likely need to be agreeable to going to the new team.  I'm looking at the Raiders.  He's from that area, they need OG help and they have no first round pick.  Since the Raiders won't be signing Asomugha, they could afford Mankins since he'd be about half the cost. Think about adding Asomugha to McCourty and gaining a mid 2nd round pick.  We're likely going to lose Mankins after 2011 anyway.  Asomugha is better than any CB draft pick including Peterson.  We could have a lock down secondary before the draft even starts and 3 seconds.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I'll do you one better.  Say we got rid of Bodden ($6mil) and Banta Cain ($6mil), that already puts us more or less in the ballpark of what Asomugha might demand in salary.  Matt Light was being paid $5 mil/yr., so letting him walk and throwing another $2-3 more mil allows us to re-sign Mankins.  So basically by shifting money around, we in theory could re-sign Mankins and add Asomugha by adding less than $5mil in additional salary.  Given the players involved, would anyone even miss Bodden, Banta Cain or Matt Light?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i would miss bodden. if he plays like he did last year with McCourty and arrington on the same filed we have no need for asomugha especially if we address the pass rush and only give a QB 3 sec to throw instead of the 5 we are giving him.
    I think we should cut light and banta cain though and resign mankins and bring in a FA DE/OLB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Great thoughts on possible scenarios to land Asomugha.  I like Bodden as much as the next guy, but Asomugha is a truly elite talent with many great years ahead of him.  If a scenario played out where we could get him, but had to cut ties with Bodden to make it work, I have to think it would be a no-brainer.  Asomugha paired with McCourty would be unreal, and would also make everyone else on our Def. significantly better.  May be a pipe dream, but NE is due to make a big spalsh in free agency. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mb and others that have been arguing we need a better pass rush as our top priority.  I have now come around to your way of thinking.  We can't allow QBs like Mark Sanchez to have time and be comfortable in the pocket.  The only way to beat Brady, and we've seen this time after time, is to pressure him, sack him, hit him and make him uncomfortable.  When teams are able to do that, Brady can be beaten.  Sanchez isn't half the QB as Tom Brady so if we can hit him, sack him and pressure him, we can beat him every time.

This brings us back full circle to Mb's first post about Ryan Kerrigan.  It would seem Kerrigan, Aldon Smith or Justin Houston would all make sense.  I've got Kerrigan at 12 on my board with Smith and Houston and 26 and 27.  My brother actually thinks we should try to get two of these guys and not worry so much about the DL.  I don't know if I'm on board with that thinking especially if Watt can be had at 17 and either Houston or Smith at 28.

Back to the Asomugha idea, land him, trade Mankins to the Raiders and cut Bodden keeping the money neutral.  Can anyone say this would not be good?

F/A CB Nnamdi Asomugha
    17 DE JJ Watt
    28 OLB Justin Houton
    33 C/OG Stefen Wisniewski
    49 WR/RB/KR Randall Cobb
    60 RT Demarcus Love
    74 OG John Moffitt
    90 FS Robert Sands
    124 RB John Clay

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I'll do you one better.  Say we got rid of Bodden ($6mil) and Banta Cain ($6mil), that already puts us more or less in the ballpark of what Asomugha might demand in salary.  Matt Light was being paid $5 mil/yr., so letting him walk and throwing another $2-3 more mil allows us to re-sign Mankins.  So basically by shifting money around, we in theory could re-sign Mankins and add Asomugha by adding less than $5mil in additional salary.  Given the players involved, would anyone even miss Bodden, Banta Cain or Matt Light?
    Banta-Cain is making only $3MM but I like the idea.  Let Light walk, sign Mankins and NA and/or let Branch walk.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Mb and others that have been arguing we need a better pass rush as our top priority.  I have now come around to your way of thinking.  We can't allow QBs like Mark Sanchez to have time and be comfortable in the pocket.  The only way to beat Brady, and we've seen this time after time, is to pressure him, sack him, hit him and make him uncomfortable.  When teams are able to do that, Brady can be beaten.  Sanchez isn't half the QB as Tom Brady so if we can hit him, sack him and pressure him, we can beat him every time. This brings us back full circle to Mb's first post about Ryan Kerrigan.  It would seem Kerrigan, Aldon Smith or Justin Houston would all make sense.  I've got Kerrigan at 12 on my board with Smith and Houston and 26 and 27.  My brother actually thinks we should try to get two of these guys and not worry so much about the DL.  I don't know if I'm on board with that thinking especially if Watt can be had at 17 and either Houston or Smith at 28. Back to the Asomugha idea, land him, trade Mankins to the Raiders and cut Bodden keeping the money neutral.  Can anyone say this would not be good?   F/A CB Nnamdi Asomugha 17 DE JJ Watt 28 OLB Justin Houton 33 C/OG Stefen Wisniewski 49 WR/RB/KR Randall Cobb 60 RT Demarcus Love 74 OG John Moffitt 90 FS Robert Sands 124 RB John Clay
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] If the Patriots could keep Mankins and  stiil add Asomugha this team will be better regardless of which other pieces they add amongst the potential draftees at DE/Olb.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

this is post 800 for me!  only 3 years later from starting to post but reading this forum for about 6 years!  Go Pats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Ok.....lets figiure out which F/A everyone desires....!st..why are they F/A's...Lots of mileage and on way downhill...or players desires lots of money for what they have done prior years....Havent seen research, but Ill bet that most are ok for a year then wear shows and team is stuck for the remainder of moneyAT LEAST  GUARANTEED PART. 
    Lets play F/a Game and pick who the next worn out injury prone Pat will be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Show up this time of year to bone up on the draft and really enjoy all insights here.  Faucet, love and respect your views however a bit puzzled by your view of RB this year.  You're not drafting one until 124 and de-emphasized RB earlier.  I can see pass rush first, but submit that Brady really needs that automatic 5 yards and a cloud of dust halfback--what we've seen earlier with Dillon, A. Smith.  The regular year is fine but in the playoffs we need that bruiser with whom we used to control the clock.  Personally I think we're just a tad too pass happy.  Think it's ironic that the Jets did to us what we did to the Rams in that Super Bowl--chipped all their receivers at the line of scrimmage and put a rush on their passer that disrupted all involved.  Don't think law firm is the long term answer, rather complemetary piece.  Don't know anything about Clay, maybe he's that guy--can you inform?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Also, not so concerned with OL shortcomings as some posters here though I do see the concern.  Seems like the coaches can take a pound of straw and spin it into gold...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]Also, not so concerned with OL shortcomings as some posters here though I do see the concern.  Seems like the coaches can take a pound of straw and spin it into gold...
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that gold turns to dust in the playoffs year after year lately.  We need some OL upgrades. 

Sections
Shortcuts