2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I have seen at least 6 games with JJ Watt, none with Wilkerson but I would rate Watt higher based on level of competition.  I know much more about Watt, he is a great character kid, smart, clean off the field, has huge hands and makes big plays.  He has a non stop motor.  In our system he will need to work more on keeping assignments and not always trying to penetrate.  He can be over aggressive at times.  But these are correctable problems. Wilkerson played against mostly soft competition with the exception of Penn State and UCONN.  Other teams he faced were: Villanova, Central Michigan, Army, Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Akron, Kent State, Ohio (not to be confused with Ohio State) and Miami OH (not to be confused with Miami). Other than Penn State's Wisniewski, the only other draftable OL he faced was Zach Hurd from UCONN and Ben Ijalana of Villanova.  How did Wilkerson do against Penn State and UCONN?  He had 2 tackles against UCONN, 1 solo.  The UCONN game was his worst statistical game of the season by far.  Against Penn State he had 9 tackles, 4 solo.  He did not register a sack in either game.  His sacks came against Central Michigan (2), Army, Buffalo (3), Kent State (3), and Miami (OH).  So, I think we need to discount his 68 tackles (45 solo) and 10 sacks somewhat if we're being fair. JJ Watt faced better teams with better OLs.  But he played some dogs too.  His schedule included UNLV, San Jose State, Arizona State, Austin Peay, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern.  Stephen Schilling from Michigan, Justin Boren and Bryant Browning from Ohio State, Julian Vandervelde from Iowa, James Brewer from Indiana, DJ Young and J'Michael Deane from Michigan State are clearly better OLs.  Michigan State and Ohio State have pretty solid OLs and Watt had a 10 tackle (5 solo) with a sack against Michigan State and 4 tackles, all solo and 2 sacks against Ohio State.  He also had a sack against Iowa, Purdue and Northwestern.  Watt's 62 tackles, 43 solo and 7 sacks to me are more impressive than Wilkerson's 68 tackles (45 solo) and 10 sacks.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

LOL I've actually seen more Wilkerson so my opinion is that Wilkerson might end up being the better overall player in the end. It's true he didn't play the same competition as Watt but his instincts and moves could easily translate to better competition. The reason I think Watt is going to go higher is because Watt is more of a certainty because of the competition factor but I think Wilkerson has a bit more upside with slightly more risk.

Now saying that I would love to have either on the team. The way I look at it is that I want a 2 pass rusher 1 in OLB and 1 at DE. Now I think the difference between the the two tiers in OLB's is that Kerrigan and Smith could also develop into 3 down players while Houston and Reed look more like specialty rushers. So I'd take Kerrigan and Smith at 17 before Watt knowing that Wilkerson will be there at 28. If Kerrigan or Smith aren't there I'd go with Watt knowing I could grab a top G or T at 28 and get Houston or Reed in the 2nd. I guess what I'm saying between Wilkerson and Watt it all boils down to who's there at #17

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's a draft the provides some immediate help as well as stocking the cupboard for the future, not to mention adding a ton of blue collar toughness and positional versatility.

17- DE- JJ Watt
    28- TE- Kyle Rudolph
    33- OG- Danny Watkins
    56- WR- Randall Cobb
    74- LB- Brooks Reed
    92- FB- Owen Marecic

I'm sure a lot of people will look at pick 28 and say, what?  BB just drafted two TE's last year, but, Crumpler will be 34 at the end of next season and Aaron Hernandez is more of a flex type.  Kyle Rudolph is the complete package as a TE with the ability to play in-line, block in the run/pass game, stretch the seam and provide plays out of the slot.  BB places a lot of value in TE's, especially players that project to be solid in all facets, and this kid is a good one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

mb, I appreciate all the work you put into this thread. 

But that's not the draft I would like, even with 5 of 6 players being white...

[QUOTE]Here's a draft the provides some immediate help as well as stocking the cupboard for the future, not to mention adding a ton of blue collar toughness and positional versatility. 17- DE- JJ Watt 28- TE- Kyle Rudolph 33- OG- Danny Watkins 56- WR- Randall Cobb 74- LB- Brooks Reed 92- FB- Owen Marecic I'm sure a lot of people will look at pick 28 and say, what?  BB just drafted two TE's last year, but, Crumpler will be 34 at the end of next season and Aaron Hernandez is more of a flex type.  Kyle Rudolph is the complete package as a TE with the ability to play in-line, block in the run/pass game, stretch the seam and provide plays out of the slot.  BB places a lot of value in TE's, especially players that project to be solid in all facets, and this kid is a good one.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

mb07,

While you can state multiple ways while that may be worth it for the Pats to have a draft like that, I am not sure that fills needs or is what we should do. While I agree we can add another complete TE, I don't think it's worth it to add a Gronkowski clone at #28, especially since it would give us 4 TE, and would have to get rid of Crump who is such a big important part of mentoring our young TE, and will most definitely be around for another year.

I also don't think Watkins warrants the #33 selection and we'd be better off taking a guy like Moffitt at #74 and Reed at #60. With a WR or a OT like Ben Ijalana at 33.

While Cobb is a fit at WR, I am not sure he makes an impact year 1 and is worth a 2nd round selection, he is the same as the rest of our WR with maybe more quickness and agility but not as good hands. I like adding to the type of WR we have but if we do that, mine as well go with Sanzenbacher in the 6th Round from Ohio State, or Jeremy Kerley from TCU in the 4th/5th Round. Also not a fan of Marenic. I know you love him, but I don't think he really adds much to the team as a 3rd rounder, we have depth at LB already so he wouldn't get significant time there, he'd be a solid ST but we can find those guys later or in UDFA/UFA, and as a FB he doesn't offer much that we can't get on our own roster or later in the draft, but just my opinion.

As for what I think the Patriots will do as of now:

#17 -- OLB Aldon Smith, Missouri
    #28 -- DE Muhammed Wilkerson, Temple
    #33 -- OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova
    #60 -- OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona
    #74 -- OG John Moffitt, Wisconsin
    #92 -- S Ahmad Black, Florida
    4th -- RB Daniel Thomas, Kansas State
    5th -- CB Justin Rogers, Richmond
    6th -- WR Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State

I think this would not only be an ideal draft but also a realistic one. Aldon Smith at 17, as everyone has discussed, gives us that prototypical, high upside BB personnel type player. Has ideal size, and great athleticism and with coaching and a year with not much pressure on him, can turn into a star. At 28, we grab the best fit for BB's system at the 5-tech in Muhammed Wilkerson. Wilkerson has ideal size, and great quickness, along with good hand placement and good strength to hold up against the run. Then we grab the OT of the future, in Ben Ijalana, who is from a 1-AA school that doesn't get much attention but will be a very good pro. I expect us to sign Matt Light for 1-2 years and Ben can sit for that time, but if we don't Ben can step in right away at RT if need be. Next we grab the steady OLB that can come in right away and contribute more then Aldon Smith probably will in his first year but when we get all our LB at their fullest potential, BB will have plenty of players to tool around with and create some scary matchups on defense. THen we grab the 2nd best OG in the draft that no one thinks is, with a steal at #74. Moffitt can come right in and play if need be,, he has a mean streak and good punch and solid athleticism to get out on screens, and screams a Patriot, blue collar player. At 92, we grab the best Safety in the class, but will slide down boards because of size,speed, that's alright you don't need that to play on the Patriots. Black will contribute in a big way year 1, covering the slot reciever and also playing some normal Safety, and will be a Patriot for a long time to come. Then we go with Daniel Thomas, who will fall for being slow just like Black, but who was once viewed as a 1st round talent. Thomas is the bruiser we need, that can run in between tackles, and will eventually be a steal, that can fit in and compliment BJGE and Woodhead. Then we go after a CB for depth in Justin Rogers, that may or may not make the team, but if he does can be a solid ST guy with nickel and dime potential. Then we grab a Patriot prototypical slot WR in Sanzenbacher, who is like a Wes Welker, in that he doesn't run well and may even go undrafted, but he catches everything thrown his way and is clutch, if there is one slot guy I'd like in this draft for good value, it's him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

A couple of opinions and a note to remember...

I was not able to watch any of the senior bowl practices while they were going on but I did take time last night to watch WR drillsthat someone gratiously posted on youtube. I know WR is a very low priority.

Two WR's that really jumped out at me during one on one drils with CB's.

Titus Young
    Vincent Brown

I know everyone is all over the kid from Miami Hankerson or whatever his name is and he had a nice senior bowl game. I still thought the 2 I mentioned looked consistently impressive.

Especially Brown because he's still not considered to be going super high so he's a better "value" as he does not look out of place compared to either Hankerson or Young.

The other player I have been watching is Carimi. Really do not see him playing left Tackle at all in the NFL. In fact if Nick Kaczur was a devastating run blocker that's who he would remind me of. He's not really that great at pass blocking so he's certainly a right tackle in my opinion. I think both Carimi and Watkins would make good right tackle/guards. You could draft either and have them play guard and move them out to tackle later.

I could see him on the Patriots but where is the question?

I think people freak out when the Patriots pass on guys in a certain round and forget they are comparing that player vs what they have on the roster and also where they got a player of previous quality in other years.

Now I have absolutely no idea what the Patriots think of Carimi but lets say they liked him and thought he was somewhere between Vollmer and Kaczur. Does anyone really think they would draft him with any of the 1st three picks?

We've discussed this before but i don't think the Patriots appraoch a draft year as its own entity. I think they place a value on a player not just aginst other players in the same draft but against player values regardless of draft year. ...and also vs what they have on the roster regardless of draft round.

I find too often times that people on the boards say of we should draft x player in x round because he will definatly be an upgrade on play x on the roster because that guy was a UDFA or late round pick.

It doesn't work that way.

I am convinced that's why the Patriots draft some players so early that the so called experts call them reaches and why they pass on others. They might like a player but not at where they feel they would need to draft him to land him. They are very disciplined and I don't think they do that very often. I also think its why they trade down obviously.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I have seen at least 6 games with JJ Watt, none with Wilkerson but I would rate Watt higher based on level of competition.  I know much more about Watt, he is a great character kid, smart, clean off the field, has huge hands and makes big plays.  He has a non stop motor.  In our system he will need to work more on keeping assignments and not always trying to penetrate.  He can be over aggressive at times.  But these are correctable problems. Wilkerson played against mostly soft competition with the exception of Penn State and UCONN.  Other teams he faced were: Villanova, Central Michigan, Army, Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Akron, Kent State, Ohio (not to be confused with Ohio State) and Miami OH (not to be confused with Miami). Other than Penn State's Wisniewski, the only other draftable OL he faced was Zach Hurd from UCONN and Ben Ijalana of Villanova.  How did Wilkerson do against Penn State and UCONN?  He had 2 tackles against UCONN, 1 solo.  The UCONN game was his worst statistical game of the season by far.  Against Penn State he had 9 tackles, 4 solo.  He did not register a sack in either game.  His sacks came against Central Michigan (2), Army, Buffalo (3), Kent State (3), and Miami (OH).  So, I think we need to discount his 68 tackles (45 solo) and 10 sacks somewhat if we're being fair. JJ Watt faced better teams with better OLs.  But he played some dogs too.  His schedule included UNLV, San Jose State, Arizona State, Austin Peay, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern.  Stephen Schilling from Michigan, Justin Boren and Bryant Browning from Ohio State, Julian Vandervelde from Iowa, James Brewer from Indiana, DJ Young and J'Michael Deane from Michigan State are clearly better OLs.  Michigan State and Ohio State have pretty solid OLs and Watt had a 10 tackle (5 solo) with a sack against Michigan State and 4 tackles, all solo and 2 sacks against Ohio State.  He also had a sack against Iowa, Purdue and Northwestern.  Watt's 62 tackles, 43 solo and 7 sacks to me are more impressive than Wilkerson's 68 tackles (45 solo) and 10 sacks.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Seems fair and logical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

OK starting to feel like espn talking abou tthe top of the draft over and over again.

Anyone have any good links to film on the DE/OLB kid from Rice the Pats were talking to back at the east/west game?

It was written that he was, (overused phrase) unblockable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]OK starting to feel like espn talking abou tthe top of the draft over and over again. Anyone have any good links to film on the DE/OLB kid from Rice the Pats were talking to back at the east/west game? It was written that he was, (overused phrase) unblockable.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I hear you Low....the kid you are talking about from Rice is Cheta Ozougwu. He played DE for Rice, but is probably going to be a DE to 3-4LB convert. He's 6'2", 255, so he has the right size for the position I believe, although an extra 2 inches woudl be optimal. he has decent stats for 2010 at teh DE position with 54 tackles, 3 FF, 3 sacks, 11 QB hurries.....but again, you have to question the competition that Rice plays against.

I can't find any game tape on him..only an interview he did after a game...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyb76YkCa6U

Where did you see anything saying the Pats spoke with him?....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a draft the provides some immediate help as well as stocking the cupboard for the future, not to mention adding a ton of blue collar toughness and positional versatility. 17- DE- JJ Watt 28- TE- Kyle Rudolph 33- OG- Danny Watkins 56- WR- Randall Cobb 74- LB- Brooks Reed 92- FB- Owen Marecic I'm sure a lot of people will look at pick 28 and say, what?  BB just drafted two TE's last year, but, Crumpler will be 34 at the end of next season and Aaron Hernandez is more of a flex type.  Kyle Rudolph is the complete package as a TE with the ability to play in-line, block in the run/pass game, stretch the seam and provide plays out of the slot.  BB places a lot of value in TE's, especially players that project to be solid in all facets, and this kid is a good one.

I thought about Rudolph alot myself but i can only envision that if the Patriots are deciding to part ways with Crumpler "this" offseason. I don't see them carrying four TE's.

Unless there is a new CBA, 18 game season and expanded rosters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I hear you Low....the kid you are talking about from Rice is Cheta Ozougwu. He played DE for Rice, but is probably going to be a DE to 3-4LB convert. He's 6'2", 255, so he has the right size for the position I believe, although an extra 2 inches woudl be optimal. he has decent stats for 2010 at teh DE position with 54 tackles, 3 FF, 3 sacks, 11 QB hurries.....but again, you have to question the competition that Rice plays against. I can't find any game tape on him..only an interview he did after a game... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyb76YkCa6U Where did you see anything saying the Pats spoke with him?....
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Not sure but might have been nepatriotsdraft...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

mb,
     do you have a backup if watt goes before 17, ie 9 to dallas.

sportslover21,
       very reasonable and addresses most of my needs but, i prefer a wide out instead of a slot guy (someone with height for jump balls, tough and gets out of jams at the line and with good hands through fa or draft). are you thinking we already have that guy on our team?

thanks everyone for the posts today

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

brd,

I think Price may be able to be the deep threat next year, maybe not the physical guy but the deep threat. I just don't see many impact, bigger, physical WR in the draft that would be good value for picks. We could look at Hankerson/Baldwin at 33, but I'd rather get a OT that can start for 10 years than take a risk at WR. The only WR in this class I'd bank on would be Green and I like Jones a lot, but that would require a trade up and for us to use our first pick on them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]brd, I think Price may be able to be the deep threat next year, maybe not the physical guy but the deep threat. I just don't see many impact, bigger, physical WR in the draft that would be good value for picks. We could look at Hankerson/Baldwin at 33, but I'd rather get a OT that can start for 10 years than take a risk at WR. The only WR in this class I'd bank on would be Green and I like Jones a lot, but that would require a trade up and for us to use our first pick on them.
    Posted by sportslover21[/QUOTE]

hey sports,
        i toatlly agree i value the o lineman much much more and would use the higher pick for it. that receiver i feel we need, but near the low end of my priority list. i would still be open to the wr thbrough undrafted fa, fa, or trade.
    thanks

cbdam/brdbreu

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

sportslover21-
    That draft would be great.  I would like to see Alabama QB McIllroy instead of Ohio St. WR in 6th, but that is splitting hairs.  I would be very happy with that draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

wazzou,
        i would be good with a qb prospect there as well.

cbdam/brdbreu

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mayock thinks there could be 9 DEs going in the first round.  The last time that many went in the first was when 6 DEs were taken in the first round in 2003.  I think 7 are more likely as that is a ton at one position.  He feels a couple of the guys we've been talking about as OLBs will be 43 DEs.  Of the 43 DEs, Mayock has them ranked: Bowers, Quinn, Clayborn, Wood, Kerrigan, and Bailey; for 34 DEs he has them: Watt, Jordan and Heyward.  He thinks Bailey slips into the 2nd but the other 7-8 should go in the first.  The interesting thing about this is we could be looking at 1 or 2 of these 9 being there at 33.  I wouldn't want Bailey but if Heyward or Kerrigan make it to 33 we might want to go OL at 17, trade 28 back a good 10 spots then take Kerrigan or Heyward at 33.   

The thought of Kerrigan or Heyward making it to 33 never occurred to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mb07, While you can state multiple ways while that may be worth it for the Pats to have a draft like that, I am not sure that fills needs or is what we should do. While I agree we can add another complete TE, I don't think it's worth it to add a Gronkowski clone at #28, especially since it would give us 4 TE, and would have to get rid of Crump who is such a big important part of mentoring our young TE, and will most definitely be around for another year. I also don't think Watkins warrants the #33 selection and we'd be better off taking a guy like Moffitt at #74 and Reed at #60. With a WR or a OT like Ben Ijalana at 33. While Cobb is a fit at WR, I am not sure he makes an impact year 1 and is worth a 2nd round selection, he is the same as the rest of our WR with maybe more quickness and agility but not as good hands. I like adding to the type of WR we have but if we do that, mine as well go with Sanzenbacher in the 6th Round from Ohio State, or Jeremy Kerley from TCU in the 4th/5th Round. Also not a fan of Marenic. I know you love him, but I don't think he really adds much to the team as a 3rd rounder, we have depth at LB already so he wouldn't get significant time there, he'd be a solid ST but we can find those guys later or in UDFA/UFA, and as a FB he doesn't offer much that we can't get on our own roster or later in the draft, but just my opinion. As for what I think the Patriots will do as of now: #17 -- OLB Aldon Smith, Missouri #28 -- DE Muhammed Wilkerson, Temple #33 -- OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova #60 -- OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona #74 -- OG John Moffitt, Wisconsin #92 -- S Ahmad Black, Florida 4th -- RB Daniel Thomas, Kansas State 5th -- CB Justin Rogers, Richmond 6th -- WR Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State I think this would not only be an ideal draft but also a realistic one. Aldon Smith at 17, as everyone has discussed, gives us that prototypical, high upside BB personnel type player. Has ideal size, and great athleticism and with coaching and a year with not much pressure on him, can turn into a star. At 28, we grab the best fit for BB's system at the 5-tech in Muhammed Wilkerson. Wilkerson has ideal size, and great quickness, along with good hand placement and good strength to hold up against the run. Then we grab the OT of the future, in Ben Ijalana, who is from a 1-AA school that doesn't get much attention but will be a very good pro. I expect us to sign Matt Light for 1-2 years and Ben can sit for that time, but if we don't Ben can step in right away at RT if need be. Next we grab the steady OLB that can come in right away and contribute more then Aldon Smith probably will in his first year but when we get all our LB at their fullest potential, BB will have plenty of players to tool around with and create some scary matchups on defense. THen we grab the 2nd best OG in the draft that no one thinks is, with a steal at #74. Moffitt can come right in and play if need be,, he has a mean streak and good punch and solid athleticism to get out on screens, and screams a Patriot, blue collar player. At 92, we grab the best Safety in the class, but will slide down boards because of size,speed, that's alright you don't need that to play on the Patriots. Black will contribute in a big way year 1, covering the slot reciever and also playing some normal Safety, and will be a Patriot for a long time to come. Then we go with Daniel Thomas, who will fall for being slow just like Black, but who was once viewed as a 1st round talent. Thomas is the bruiser we need, that can run in between tackles, and will eventually be a steal, that can fit in and compliment BJGE and Woodhead. Then we go after a CB for depth in Justin Rogers, that may or may not make the team, but if he does can be a solid ST guy with nickel and dime potential. Then we grab a Patriot prototypical slot WR in Sanzenbacher, who is like a Wes Welker, in that he doesn't run well and may even go undrafted, but he catches everything thrown his way and is clutch, if there is one slot guy I'd like in this draft for good value, it's him.

I belive 1st round is about BPA (vs. drafting for need), and Kyle Rudolph is one of the best players available in this class.  Imagine the offense flexibility he'd give Billy O and TB; two huge TE's that can play inline with a hand in the dirt (or rubber pellets) or split out wide, both also having big play capability.  Think about the match up nightmares that would create.

I think Cobb could impact early similar to Deion as a rookie as he can "score the ball" from multiple positions and was one of the more productive WR's in the SEC this past season.  I also see nothing wrong with his hands, atleast not from the tape that I've seen.  He looks to pluck the ball cleanly with his hands, on the fly, with few to no wasted steps.

I'll have to research Ijalana further, but I do like most of the guys in your mock as potential fits in Foxboro.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mb,  do you have a backup if watt goes before 17, ie 9 to dallas. sportslover21,    very reasonable and addresses most of my needs but, i prefer a wide out instead of a slot guy (someone with height for jump balls, tough and gets out of jams at the line and with good hands through fa or draft). are you thinking we already have that guy on our team? thanks everyone for the posts today
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

I also like Cameron Jordan a lot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Heyward is a guy that can go in the 28/33 range, but there is no way Kerrigan is there at 28, much less 33. He may not even be there at 17 for us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

mb07,
    I like your philosophy of BPA in Round 1, but it would undoubtibly spell the end of Crump in a Pats uniform, and the mentorship he provides the young TE's would be gone, and we'd now have 3 young TE. Yes, Rudolph is a great player, and would make this offense better, but 4 TE isn't possible, so ties would have to be cut with Crump, making the group real young.

I like Cobb as a player don't get me wrong, but the way you had the rest of the mock set up, I didn't like us going with him there. If we had addressed DE or OLB before that, then maybe as a luxury CObb would be great. He is a good player that I think fits our scheme well, but not as the 2nd offense player when we need impact defenders.

At least that's my take, let me know if you get what I mean.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mb07, I like your philosophy of BPA in Round 1, but it would undoubtibly spell the end of Crump in a Pats uniform, and the mentorship he provides the young TE's would be gone, and we'd now have 3 young TE. Yes, Rudolph is a great player, and would make this offense better, but 4 TE isn't possible, so ties would have to be cut with Crump, making the group real young. I like Cobb as a player don't get me wrong, but the way you had the rest of the mock set up, I didn't like us going with him there. If we had addressed DE or OLB before that, then maybe as a luxury CObb would be great. He is a good player that I think fits our scheme well, but not as the 2nd offense player when we need impact defenders. At least that's my take, let me know if you get what I mean.

sl,
    I had Watt at 17.

I'm always an advocate of improving on the defensive side of the ball, and they'll also be getting both Bodden and Warren back next year which should provide an instant upgrade from 2010.  As for your mock I think Smith and Wilkerson make a lot of sense in Rd 1.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

as much as i want watt and i know that probably in order to get him we would have to take him at 17 (if he lasts that long) I am going to have to say that if we are unable to resign mankins and or light we should probably take a OT at 17 and sadly pass on watts at 17.  The drop off at that position is just too great after the top 3 OT.  If we could get Soldier (17) and perhaps wilkerson (28) and houston/reed (unless heyward falls) (33) i would still be really happy with the first 2 rounds

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I belive 1st round is about BPA (vs. drafting for need), and Kyle Rudolph is one of the best players available in this class.  Imagine the offense flexibility he'd give Billy O and TB; two huge TE's that can play inline with a hand in the dirt (or rubber pellets) or split out wide, both also having big play capability.  Think about the match up nightmares that would create. I think Cobb could impact early similar to Deion as a rookie as he can "score the ball" from multiple positions and was one of the more productive WR's in the SEC this past season.  I also see nothing wrong with his hands, atleast not from the tape that I've seen.  He looks to pluck the ball cleanly with his hands, on the fly, with few to no wasted steps. I'll have to research Ijalana further, but I do like most of the guys in your mock as potential fits in Foxboro.

mb,
       you make a very persuasive argument in my eyes for going for rudolph (at te)
    i learned about cobb from you while back and he looks like woodhead and welker only more versatile and maybe more elusive. wr is next to last on my list however and of course my druthers is for the tall tough wr (f.a.?).
    but damn with a weapon like cobb? if he proves to have the hands though, would you renew welker after next year if you had cobb?

thanks.

cbdam/brdbreu

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]mb07, I like your philosophy of BPA in Round 1, but it would undoubtibly spell the end of Crump in a Pats uniform, and the mentorship he provides the young TE's would be gone, and we'd now have 3 young TE. Yes, Rudolph is a great player, and would make this offense better, but 4 TE isn't possible, so ties would have to be cut with Crump, making the group real young. I like Cobb as a player don't get me wrong, but the way you had the rest of the mock set up, I didn't like us going with him there. If we had addressed DE or OLB before that, then maybe as a luxury CObb would be great. He is a good player that I think fits our scheme well, but not as the 2nd offense player when we need impact defenders. At least that's my take, let me know if you get what I mean.

Not necessarily will it spell the end of Crump's career if we pick up Rudolph. Why can't the Pats carry 4 TE's? They could trim the WR or RB depth down by 1 in either, and still be able to retain 4 TE's. Personally, I would dump Taylor and Morris at RB, pick up 1 RB in the draft, and then you have a spot for Rudolph. Heck, Hernandez is basically a WR anyway the way we use him, and I would be OK with having 4 TE's next year, and then Crump retiring the year after and we are left with Gronk, Hernandez and Rudolph. That would be the best TE lineup in the NFL. Plus, if Rudolph can block as well as Gronk, and we draft a big powerful back, we then have a very solid, power run game.

Rudolph may actually slip out of round 1 all together. With his hammy injury that sent him out for the year, I don't think he will be participating at the combine. Will teams pass him over because they can't see him working out? Could he fall to somewhere high to mid round 2? It's possible, and if he did, that would be a huge value pick (just like BB likes) much like Gronk/Hernandez last year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Heyward is a guy that can go in the 28/33 range, but there is no way Kerrigan is there at 28, much less 33. He may not even be there at 17 for us.

I agree on this. I don't think Kerrigan is there at 28. I do think Heyward will be. But personally, Heyward had a mediocre year before turning into on at the bowl game. I'd rather take Watt, Wilkerson and Jordan ahead of him. But he is 4th on my DE list for the Pats.

Sections
Shortcuts