2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : For me I just have not seen enough film on either player. JJ is much more athletic and active but i really only saw him in the bowl game and do not claim to know his responsibilities in that game or Wis. D system. At times he seemed undisciplined or moving without thought, simply reckless abandon. That strictly a knee jerk reaction/assessment from watching one game and not even entirely focusing on him as there were other players to try and watch also. Only a general feel. For what is worth. Mayock recently finished watching film on Watt and called him a beast and his top rated 3-4 DE. Wilkerson I really only saw one clip on him on YouTube and well its wasn't bad but nothing really jumped out at you either. Simply solid. Another guy who no one talks about much and I think could be viewed as a possibility is the kid from Baylor. People keep trying to stick him in a box like they do with so many players. I think everyone thinks he's only a NT. Not sure of that. The film I have watch shows he can move and is just a big man and not some fat slob with a huge belly. The weird thing about his film though is that he almost does better against double teams than he is one-on-one. I am assuming when he makes his rush moves he loses leverage or balance which is not good but when he anchors he's not going anywhere. Maybe that's why people have him pegged for nose tackle only?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Low,
    The kid from Baylor, Phil Taylor, is a beast...6'3"/4" - 350lbs sounds a lot like a nose tackle. He is quick for a guy his size. I don't know if he can play DE. That might be a stretch, althought I'd like to think he could. I have 2 questions on him...
    1. Question would be his conditioning. 350lbs guys usually need a breather and you got to keep this guy fresh to be productive. I guess we could alternate him with Brace. I'm still hoping Brace can do something at DE.  
    2. Dismissal at Penn State. Apparently they dismissed him after some event plus poor academics.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Low, The kid from Baylor, Phil Taylor, is a beast...6'3"/4" - 350lbs sounds a lot like a nose tackle. He is quick for a guy his size. I don't know if he can play DE. That might be a stretch, althought I'd like to think he could. I have 2 questions on him... 1. Question would be his conditioning. 350lbs guys usually need a breather and you got to keep this guy fresh to be productive. I guess we could alternate him with Brace. I'm still hoping Brace can do something at DE.   2. Dismissal at Penn State. Apparently they dismissed him after some event plus poor academics.  
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Taylor was 337 at the SB, here's what West Bunting of The National Football Post had to say:

"Baylor DL Phil Taylor carried 337-pounds about as well as you can for a defensive linemen. At 6034 he didn’t seem to have much extra girth through the mid-section and also appeared to be in good shape. The kind of size/length to get looks both inside and as a potential five-technique at the next level."

I do agree that his character etc., will need to be looked into and he didn't appear to be an overlly productive player, but he does have excellent strength and quickness for his size and I could see him playing snaps at NT or DE in NE's 3-4.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

One big reason for dismassal is weight fluctuation, he has gotten up to the 370-390 range, which is never good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

outkast thank you I knew I wasnt nuts or at least someone else is as well

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm really not sold on drafting Phil Taylor at all for a number of reason. The first namely being a guy we just resigned Wilfork.

Wilfork is a NT, that is where he plays his best. I know at times he played DE but that was more out of need due to injuries then utilizing his pass rushing skills. With Wilfork taking between 60-70% of defensive snaps is it worth spending a high 2nd or low first on a back up NT?

Of course there will be those who say well you can move Taylor to DE with the exception that he just doesn't have the speed to get around the edge or chase down a RB cutting to the outside. For his size he's fast but running in the 5.3's isn't going to cut it as a DE.

There are also concerns about his ability to maintain weight. The guy has looked great recently but he has ballooned to almost 400lbs in the past and reports are that the coaching staff has to constantly get on him about keeping his weight down.

Add to that his inconsistent play, seeming low IQ, and major questions about his work ethic when not being constantly pushed by the coaches and there is no way I'd draft the guy. Let Washington take him. They could use a DT for a 3-4 system. It would save them face after the Haynesworth experiment

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVgFcPDMQLQ

RB Mikel LeShoure highlights.

+ runs well in traffic
    + quick accelaration
    + inside/outside runner
    + powerful runner
    + good receiver

I like this kid @28/33

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Should the pats decide to use their late 1st or early second 2nd round pick I believe the best choice is LeShoure as  has the skill set of: size,speed,acceleration,vision,reads blocks well,protects the ball,has solid hands,is a willing if raw blocker,has the power to get the tough yards inside and enogh speed break the long one on the outside,can both run through and evade tacklers,appears to have a solid work ethic and love of the game and protected the ball well at the college level to be a prime back in the NFL(yes,I obviously believe he should be the first back drafted).Should they opt to add depth at the running back position between the late 3rd to fifth round,Powell and Clay are two to consider.If Leshoure is there at 33,they could well pull the trigger on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

mcshay (3.0) has the pass rushers rising
    watt to #9

mb, i will see if i can get to reiss.

to all
     if it went down like this and smitha nd jordon are available who do ou pick
      we need the stud de and olb and  g/t or guard and tackle (but we need a Leshoure type back too), so how do we use our top picks to address this?

mcshay interesting (jordan, wwatkins) vs
     ne patriotsdraft.com vsn:
    smith, costanzo, wiljerson, hankerson 

and faucet's
    F/A OLB Tamba Hali (KC)
    17.  DE JJ Watt
    28.  OT Gabe Carimi, move Seabass to LT, Carimi to RT
    33.  RB Mikel LeShoure
    60.  FS Quinton Carter
    74.  C/OG John Moffitt
    92.  WR Terrence Toliver

or 

earlier:

17.  DE JJ Watt
    34.  OLB/ILB Martez Wilson
    43.  RB Mikel LeShoure
    49.  WR Leonard Hankerson
    74.  OG Danny Watkins
    92.  DE/OLB Sam Acho
    124. OT Marcus Gilbert
    6C.  RB Mario Fannin

faucet and other's
    increasingly looks like there may indeed be a real chance that there may be no fre agency before th edraft, therefore no free agency.

so we will need mocks a; if you include fre agents adn mock b, if there isnt one.

also

none of you guys commented on what i posted a while back about the fact that the nflpa is threatening if there is no cba, that they will boycott the combine (they are reiterating this now) , ie not allowing players go to the combine. 
    no idea, what transpires if they do so. any idea? and ideas of possible course of the outcome on the draft if there is no combine?

cb out.

Carolina Panthers

Record: 2-14

Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson*

The Andrew Luck dream has long since ended, and it's time to deal with the reality of the situation. Trading out is a long shot, 2010 second-round pick Jimmy Clausen does not appear to be the long-term answer at quarterback and although Blaine Gabbert is the premier quarterback in this year's class, Gabbert is no Luck. Auburn DT Nick Fairley is an option, but I believe that Bowers is the better choice. He is a power rusher with the tools to develop into a Julius Peppers-type impact player.

Denver Broncos

Record: 4-12

Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn*

The Broncos are likely to transition to a four-man front under new head coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Dennis Allen. They finished last in the NFL with 23 sacks last season, so upgrading the pass rush is a major priority. Bowers would be a possibility if available and Alabama's Marcell Dareus makes sense, but Fairley's specialty is wreaking havoc in opposing backfields (24 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks in 2010), and he has the elite tools to become an every-down impact player as an "under" tackle/3-technique in a four-man front.

Buffalo Bills

Von Miller, OLB, Texas AM

The Bills have no shortage of needs. Left tackle is a priority, but the 2011 class doesn't offer a surefire top-five pick. The team is also likely to draft a quarterback, but it should do so on Day 2, when a legitimate backup to Ryan Fitzpatrick (and potential future starter) can be found. The Bills also need help along the defensive front, and Miller makes sense because he's a versatile playmaker. Miller can play sideline to sideline versus the run, and he's at his best when turned loose off the edge as a pass-rusher.

Cincinnati Bengals

A.J. Green, WR, Georgia*

Using a top-10 pick on a wide receiver is rarely a wise move, but Green is special. Many wideouts are big and fast, but Green's route-running savvy, toughness, body control and ball skills set him apart from most college wideouts. The Bengals also have needs at defensive end (and could select North Carolina's Robert Quinn), middle linebacker (what'sDhani Jones' future?) and quarterback. (Is it time to draft Carson Palmer's replacement?)

Arizona Cardinals

Record: 5-11

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

The Cardinals have needs at guard, right tackle, tight end, 3-4 outside linebacker and cornerback, but none is bigger than their need at quarterback. Gabbert is still a work in progress, but he's the most complete signal-caller in this class. His accuracy is far better than his statistics indicate, he has the arm strength to drive the ball vertically (which is what the Cardinals want in their starting quarterback) and he has the work ethic and football intelligence to quickly emerge as a solid starter.

Cleveland Browns

Record: 5-11

Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama*

New defensive coordinator Dick Jauron could use a disruptive 3-technique like Dareus to fit his 4-3 scheme. Dareus missed two games in 2010 thanks to suspension and was hobbled by an ankle injury for several others, but anyone questioning his ability to penetrate and make plays in opposing backfields clearly did not watch tape of the Crimson Tide's 2009 national title run.

San Francisco can't afford to take another risk on a quarterback in the top 10. The 49ers are better served to draft the best available player in Peterson, who could help a defense that ranked 24th in the NFL and could contribute in the return game.

Tennessee Titans

Record: 6-10

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Quarterback is obviously the biggest need, but the Titans can't afford to gamble on Cam Newton or Jake Locker here. Look for them to bring in a veteran signal-caller and use a Day 2 pick on a quarterback to develop such as Arkansas' Ryan Mallett or TCU's Andy Dalton. This franchise has had too many disappointing first-rounders over the years, and taking Amukamara -- the top athlete on the board and one of the hardest workers in the 2011 class -- would be a strong building block for new head coach Mike Munchak.

Dallas Cowboys

J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin*

The team's most pressing need is for a 5-technique (defensive end) in its 3-4 scheme. The Cowboys are also aging along the offensive line and need some depth/future starters at inside linebacker and safety. Dallas would have a tough call in this scenario, but Watt will continue to fly up boards because of his versatility and nonstop motor. Watt is capable of making an immediate impact on all three downs as a rookie. Finding a player like Watt to generate inside pressure would be a great complement to OLB DeMarcus Ware's edge rushing ability.

Cam Newton, QB, Auburn*

Newton is the biggest boom-or-bust prospect in the 2011 class. Head coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan are certainly capable of developing Newton, but it will not be an overnight job.

Houston Texans

Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

Kareem Jackson should make big strides in his second season, and Glover Quin should improve in his third season. It would be nice to bring in a veteran cornerback to provide depth and stability, but if the Texans are unable to do so, Smith would be a good pick for them at No. 11. A big, smooth cornerback with the strength, confidence and balance to hold up in press-man coverage, Smith could emerge as one of the most underrated players from the 2011 class.

Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina*

Quinn falls here because of the suspension that cost him the entire 2010 season, and the Vikings take advantage. Their defense is aging, and two of their defensive ends -- starterRay Edwards and backup Brian Robison -- are free agents. The team would like to find its future franchise quarterback here, but Locker needs too much time to develop.

Detroit Lions

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Cornerback, strong safety and outside linebacker are all bigger needs for the Lions, but it would be a reach to take the next available at any of those positions. Protecting QBMatthew Stafford is the No. 1 priority -- both short- and long-term -- and Solder can eventually develop into a good bookend opposite right tackle Gosder Cherilus.

St. Louis Rams

Record: 7-9

Julio Jones, WR, Alabama*

Jones could show more consistent focus, but he's a big, physical receiver with the toughness and underrated speed to emerge as QB Sam Bradford's go-to target for many years.

Miami Dolphins

Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama*
    QB Chad Henne deserves one more season at the helm, and rather than using this pick on a long-term project like Locker or Newton, the team should put better weapons around Henne. Ingram had a knee injury early in 2010 but recovered nicely and got stronger as the season progressed. He is the type of NFL-ready back who could give Miami a huge boost in the run game even as a complement to current free agents Ronnie Brown and/or Ricky Williams.

The Jaguars have more pressing needs at quarterback and in the secondary. They also could use a speedster at wide receiver. But drafting a good value at defensive end is never a bad idea, and Clayborn could learn a lot early in his career from Jags right defensive endAaron Kampman, who will return from injury in 2011.

New England Patriots (from Oakland)

Record: 14-2

Cameron Jordan, DE, California

The Patriots could use help along the defensive line, and Jordan would be as good fit as a 5-technique who can hold up against the run and bring some pass-rushing ability to the table.

Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri*

Smith, who also could fit as a 4-3 end, is still growing into his body and needs to get stronger, but he is a relentless pass-rusher with a knack for getting to the quarterback. His 2009 tape tells the true story of his potential, because in 2010 he was hobbled when he was able to get on the field.

New York Giants

Record: 10-6

Tyron Smith, OT, USC*

The Giants can use this pick to solidify QB Eli Manning's protection for the next several years. Current LT David Diehl can move inside to guard, Will Beatty can play either tackle position and RT Kareem McKenzie is entering his 11th season and will be a free agent after the 2012 season. Smith has great potential as a left tackle, but he started two seasons at right tackle at USC and is still a bit unpolished.

Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue*

Tampa Bay didn't get much production from starting defensive ends Tim Crowder and Stylez G. White, and the entire team had only 26 sacks in 2010. Kerrigan is relentless as a pass-rusher and against the run and would boost the Bucs' defensive front immediately.

Kansas City Chiefs

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA*

Ayers has good size and speed, shows sideline-to-sideline range as a run defender and has a lot of upside as pass-rusher. He is a very good fit in Kansas City's 3-4 scheme and could contribute immediately.

Indianapolis Colts

Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

The Colts rarely draft offensive linemen this high, but they have a major need when it comes to protecting Peyton Manning. Castonzo could add some bulk to his frame, but pass-blocking is his strength and his run-blocking should improve with time in the weight room. Indianapolis also could consider a defensive tackle with this pick.

Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Outside linebacker is a bigger need, but no available prospect fits the Eagles' scheme and is worth this pick. Carimi has versatility to play tackle or guard immediately and should develop into a very good starting tackle -- likely on the right side -- in the very near future.

New Orleans Saints

Record: 11-5

Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia*

Houston is a bit raw and not an ideal fit for New Orleans' defensive scheme, but upgrading the pass rush is a primary need for the Saints and Houston has all kinds of potential in that area.

Seattle Seahawks

Jake Locker, QB, Washington

Locker's stock took a big hit this season, but we still think he will come off the board in the first round. The Seahawks are not completely settled at quarterback and could do worse than bringing in a local hero with a lot of upside, and if they don't pull the trigger, we could see a team trade back into the late first round to get Locker.

Baltimore Ravens

Record: 12-4

Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky*

The Ravens need speed at wide receiver, and Cobb is an underrated offensive weapon who would fit the bill. He's a very savvy route-runner and can contribute in the return game. Baltimore also could look to fill needs at cornerback or defensive end.

Atlanta Falcons

Record: 13-3

Mike Pouncey, C/G, Florida

The Falcons are definitely in the market for a pass-rusher, but there is none on the board worth the pick. Atlanta also needs to upgrade its interior offensive line, and Pouncey makes perfect sense given his ability to contribute immediately at either center or guard.

Dan Watkins, G, Baylor

The Patriots got their defensive end earlier in the first, and no pass-rusher or running back is worth taking here. Watkins is a fast-rising line prospect who plays with an edge, and although he played tackle in college, he is a better fit inside at the NFL level. This is also a prime spot for teams picking early in the second round to possibly trade back into the first. New England has plenty of options.

Chicago Bears

Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois*

If Liuget falls to this spot, the Bears will get a steal. He's a top-20 pick in our rankings thanks to his strength, quickness, balance and motor. Chicago has bigger needs at offensive tackle and wide receiver, but Liuget is a better value than any player available at those positions.

New York Jets

Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

The Jets need a reliable presence in the middle of their 3-4 defense, and veteran NT Kris Jenkins has played just seven games combined in the past two seasons. Taylor has the size to anchor the middle of that three-man front and surprisingly good feet for a 350-pound prospect.

Benjamin Ijalana, OT, Villanova

Ijalana is an under-the-radar FCS prospect, but he possesses good physical tools and a lot of upside. A lack of depth along the offensive line was an issue for the Steelers in 2010, and assuming Ijalana's nagging minor injuries have healed, he could add depth while preparing for a full-time starting job.

Green Bay Packers

Record: 12-4

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple*

Wilkerson has impressive size and overall power and would be a very good fit as a 5-technique in defensive coordinator Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme. He can stack and shed against the run and is a power pass-rusher with active hands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

I hope entering the draft...BB looks at the game tapes of QB's especially Shancheeze standing back with no pressure at all....sacks come from effort and (i know injuries to the d-line_) scheme...Get play makers  and let them loose...

Going to be a fun draft i believe...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]mcshay (3.0) has the pass rushers rising watt to #9 mb, i will see if i can get to reiss. to all  if it went down like this and smitha nd jordon are available who do ou pick   we need the stud de and olb and  g/t or guard and tackle (but we need a Leshoure type back too), so how do we use our top picks to address this? mcshay interesting (jordan, wwatkins) vs  ne patriotsdraft.com vsn: smith, costanzo, wiljerson, hankerson  and faucet's F/A OLB Tamba Hali (KC) 17.  DE JJ Watt 28.  OT Gabe Carimi, move Seabass to LT, Carimi to RT 33.  RB Mikel LeShoure 60.  FS Quinton Carter 74.  C/OG John Moffitt 92.  WR Terrence Toliver or  earlier: 17.  DE JJ Watt 34.  OLB/ILB Martez Wilson 43.  RB Mikel LeShoure 49.  WR Leonard Hankerson 74.  OG Danny Watkins 92.  DE/OLB Sam Acho 124. OT Marcus Gilbert 6C.  RB Mario Fannin faucet and other's increasingly looks like there may indeed be a real chance that there may be no fre agency before th edraft, therefore no free agency. so we will need mocks a; if you include fre agents adn mock b, if there isnt one. also none of you guys commented on what i posted a while back about the fact that the nflpa is threatening if there is no cba, that they will boycott the combine (they are reiterating this now) , ie not allowing players go to the combine.  no idea, what transpires if they do so. any idea? and ideas of possible course of the outcome on the draft if there is no combine? cb out. Carolina Panthers Record: 2-14 Da'Quan Bowers , DE, Clemson* The  Andrew Luck  dream has long since ended, and it's time to deal with the reality of the situation. Trading out is a long shot, 2010 second-round pick  Jimmy Clausen  does not appear to be the long-term answer at quarterback and although Blaine Gabbert is the premier quarterback in this year's class, Gabbert is no Luck. Auburn DT Nick Fairley is an option, but I believe that Bowers is the better choice. He is a power rusher with the tools to develop into a  Julius Peppers -type impact player.     Denver Broncos Record: 4-12 Nick Fairley , DT, Auburn* The Broncos are likely to transition to a four-man front under new head coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Dennis Allen. They finished last in the NFL with 23 sacks last season, so upgrading the pass rush is a major priority. Bowers would be a possibility if available and Alabama's Marcell Dareus makes sense, but Fairley's specialty is wreaking havoc in opposing backfields (24 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks in 2010), and he has the elite tools to become an every-down impact player as an "under" tackle/3-technique in a four-man front.     Buffalo Bills Record: 4-12 Von Miller , OLB, Texas AM The Bills have no shortage of needs. Left tackle is a priority, but the 2011 class doesn't offer a surefire top-five pick. The team is also likely to draft a quarterback, but it should do so on Day 2, when a legitimate backup to  Ryan Fitzpatrick  (and potential future starter) can be found. The Bills also need help along the defensive front, and Miller makes sense because he's a versatile playmaker. Miller can play sideline to sideline versus the run, and he's at his best when turned loose off the edge as a pass-rusher.     Cincinnati Bengals Record: 4-12 A.J. Green , WR, Georgia* Using a top-10 pick on a wide receiver is rarely a wise move, but Green is special. Many wideouts are big and fast, but Green's route-running savvy, toughness, body control and ball skills set him apart from most college wideouts. The Bengals also have needs at defensive end (and could select North Carolina's Robert Quinn), middle linebacker (what's Dhani Jones ' future?) and quarterback. (Is it time to draft  Carson Palmer 's replacement?)     Arizona Cardinals Record: 5-11 Blaine Gabbert , QB, Missouri The Cardinals have needs at guard, right tackle, tight end, 3-4 outside linebacker and cornerback, but none is bigger than their need at quarterback. Gabbert is still a work in progress, but he's the most complete signal-caller in this class. His accuracy is far better than his statistics indicate, he has the arm strength to drive the ball vertically (which is what the Cardinals want in their starting quarterback) and he has the work ethic and football intelligence to quickly emerge as a solid starter.       Cleveland Browns Record: 5-11 Marcell Dareus , DT, Alabama* New defensive coordinator Dick Jauron could use a disruptive 3-technique like Dareus to fit his 4-3 scheme. Dareus missed two games in 2010 thanks to suspension and was hobbled by an ankle injury for several others, but anyone questioning his ability to penetrate and make plays in opposing backfields clearly did not watch tape of the Crimson Tide's 2009 national title run. San Francisco 49ers Record: 6-10 Patrick Peterson , CB, LSU* San Francisco can't afford to take another risk on a quarterback in the top 10. The 49ers are better served to draft the best available player in Peterson, who could help a defense that ranked 24th in the NFL and could contribute in the return game. Tennessee Titans Record: 6-10 Prince Amukamara , CB, Nebraska Quarterback is obviously the biggest need, but the Titans can't afford to gamble on  Cam Newton  or  Jake Locker  here. Look for them to bring in a veteran signal-caller and use a Day 2 pick on a quarterback to develop such as Arkansas'  Ryan Mallett  or TCU's  Andy Dalton . This franchise has had too many disappointing first-rounders over the years, and taking Amukamara -- the top athlete on the board and one of the hardest workers in the 2011 class -- would be a strong building block for new head coach Mike Munchak. Dallas Cowboys Record: 6-10 J.J. Watt , DE, Wisconsin* The team's most pressing need is for a 5-technique (defensive end) in its 3-4 scheme. The Cowboys are also aging along the offensive line and need some depth/future starters at inside linebacker and safety. Dallas would have a tough call in this scenario, but Watt will continue to fly up boards because of his versatility and nonstop motor. Watt is capable of making an immediate impact on all three downs as a rookie. Finding a player like Watt to generate inside pressure would be a great complement to OLB  DeMarcus Ware 's edge rushing ability. Washington Redskins Record: 6-10 Cam Newton , QB, Auburn* Newton is the biggest boom-or-bust prospect in the 2011 class. Head coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan are certainly capable of developing Newton, but it will not be an overnight job. Houston Texans Record: 6-10 Jimmy Smith , CB, Colorado Kareem Jackson  should make big strides in his second season, and  Glover Quin  should improve in his third season. It would be nice to bring in a veteran cornerback to provide depth and stability, but if the Texans are unable to do so, Smith would be a good pick for them at No. 11. A big, smooth cornerback with the strength, confidence and balance to hold up in press-man coverage, Smith could emerge as one of the most underrated players from the 2011 class. Minnesota Vikings Record:6-10 Robert Quinn , DE, North Carolina* Quinn falls here because of the suspension that cost him the entire 2010 season, and the Vikings take advantage. Their defense is aging, and two of their defensive ends -- starter Ray Edwards  and backup  Brian Robison  -- are free agents. The team would like to find its future franchise quarterback here, but Locker needs too much time to develop. Detroit Lions Record: 6-10 Nate Solder , OT, Colorado Cornerback, strong safety and outside linebacker are all bigger needs for the Lions, but it would be a reach to take the next available at any of those positions. Protecting QB Matthew Stafford  is the No. 1 priority -- both short- and long-term -- and Solder can eventually develop into a good bookend opposite right tackle  Gosder Cherilus . St. Louis Rams Record: 7-9 Julio Jones , WR, Alabama* Jones could show more consistent focus, but he's a big, physical receiver with the toughness and underrated speed to emerge as QB  Sam Bradford 's go-to target for many years. Miami Dolphins Record: 7-9 Mark Ingram , RB, Alabama* QB  Chad Henne  deserves one more season at the helm, and rather than using this pick on a long-term project like Locker or Newton, the team should put better weapons around Henne. Ingram had a knee injury early in 2010 but recovered nicely and got stronger as the season progressed. He is the type of NFL-ready back who could give Miami a huge boost in the run game even as a complement to current free agents  Ronnie Brown  and/or  Ricky Williams .   Jacksonville Jaguars Record: 8-8 Adrian Clayborn , DE, Iowa The Jaguars have more pressing needs at quarterback and in the secondary. They also could use a speedster at wide receiver. But drafting a good value at defensive end is never a bad idea, and Clayborn could learn a lot early in his career from Jags right defensive end Aaron Kampman , who will return from injury in 2011. New England Patriots  (from Oakland) Record: 14-2 Cameron Jordan , DE, California The Patriots could use help along the defensive line, and Jordan would be as good fit as a 5-technique who can hold up against the run and bring some pass-rushing ability to the table. San Diego Chargers Record: 9-7 Aldon Smith , DE/OLB, Missouri* Smith, who also could fit as a 4-3 end, is still growing into his body and needs to get stronger, but he is a relentless pass-rusher with a knack for getting to the quarterback. His 2009 tape tells the true story of his potential, because in 2010 he was hobbled when he was able to get on the field. New York Giants Record: 10-6 Tyron Smith , OT, USC* The Giants can use this pick to solidify QB  Eli Manning 's protection for the next several years. Current LT  David Diehl  can move inside to guard,  Will Beatty  can play either tackle position and RT  Kareem McKenzie  is entering his 11th season and will be a free agent after the 2012 season. Smith has great potential as a left tackle, but he started two seasons at right tackle at USC and is still a bit unpolished. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Record: 10-6 Ryan Kerrigan , DE, Purdue* Tampa Bay didn't get much production from starting defensive ends  Tim Crowder  and  Stylez G. White , and the entire team had only 26 sacks in 2010. Kerrigan is relentless as a pass-rusher and against the run and would boost the Bucs' defensive front immediately. Kansas City Chiefs Record: 10-6 Akeem Ayers , OLB, UCLA* Ayers has good size and speed, shows sideline-to-sideline range as a run defender and has a lot of upside as pass-rusher. He is a very good fit in Kansas City's 3-4 scheme and could contribute immediately. Indianapolis Colts Record: 10-6 Anthony Castonzo , OT, Boston College The Colts rarely draft offensive linemen this high, but they have a major need when it comes to protecting  Peyton Manning . Castonzo could add some bulk to his frame, but pass-blocking is his strength and his run-blocking should improve with time in the weight room. Indianapolis also could consider a defensive tackle with this pick. Philadelphia Eagles Record: 10-6 Gabe Carimi , OT, Wisconsin Outside linebacker is a bigger need, but no available prospect fits the Eagles' scheme and is worth this pick. Carimi has versatility to play tackle or guard immediately and should develop into a very good starting tackle -- likely on the right side -- in the very near future. New Orleans Saints Record: 11-5 Justin Houston , OLB, Georgia* Houston is a bit raw and not an ideal fit for New Orleans' defensive scheme, but upgrading the pass rush is a primary need for the Saints and Houston has all kinds of potential in that area. Seattle Seahawks Record: 7-9 Jake Locker , QB, Washington Locker's stock took a big hit this season, but we still think he will come off the board in the first round. The Seahawks are not completely settled at quarterback and could do worse than bringing in a local hero with a lot of upside, and if they don't pull the trigger, we could see a team trade back into the late first round to get Locker. Baltimore Ravens Record: 12-4 Randall Cobb , WR, Kentucky* The Ravens need speed at wide receiver, and Cobb is an underrated offensive weapon who would fit the bill. He's a very savvy route-runner and can contribute in the return game. Baltimore also could look to fill needs at cornerback or defensive end. Atlanta Falcons Record: 13-3 Mike Pouncey , C/G, Florida The Falcons are definitely in the market for a pass-rusher, but there is none on the board worth the pick. Atlanta also needs to upgrade its interior offensive line, and Pouncey makes perfect sense given his ability to contribute immediately at either center or guard. New England Patriots Record: 14-2 Dan Watkins , G, Baylor The Patriots got their defensive end earlier in the first, and no pass-rusher or running back is worth taking here. Watkins is a fast-rising line prospect who plays with an edge, and although he played tackle in college, he is a better fit inside at the NFL level. This is also a prime spot for teams picking early in the second round to possibly trade back into the first. New England has plenty of options. Chicago Bears Record: 11-5 Corey Liuget , DT, Illinois* If Liuget falls to this spot, the Bears will get a steal. He's a top-20 pick in our rankings thanks to his strength, quickness, balance and motor. Chicago has bigger needs at offensive tackle and wide receiver, but Liuget is a better value than any player available at those positions. New York Jets Record: 11-5 Phil Taylor , NT, Baylor The Jets need a reliable presence in the middle of their 3-4 defense, and veteran NT  Kris Jenkins  has played just seven games combined in the past two seasons. Taylor has the size to anchor the middle of that three-man front and surprisingly good feet for a 350-pound prospect. Pittsburgh Steelers Record: 12-4 Benjamin Ijalana , OT, Villanova Ijalana is an under-the-radar FCS prospect, but he possesses good physical tools and a lot of upside. A lack of depth along the offensive line was an issue for the Steelers in 2010, and assuming Ijalana's nagging minor injuries have healed, he could add depth while preparing for a full-time starting job. Green Bay Packers Record: 12-4 Muhammad Wilkerson , DE, Temple* Wilkerson has impressive size and overall power and would be a very good fit as a 5-technique in defensive coordinator Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme. He can stack and shed against the run and is a power pass-rusher with active hands.      
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]

cbdam,

If it went down like that and both Smith and Jordan were available at 17, I would have to think about Jordan vs. Wilkerson...which of those 2 I feel would be the better 3-4 DE. Wilkerson has prototypical size, Jordan a bit small, but aggressive and showed what he was about at senior week.

I also have to look into round 2 to think if I could get an OLB with pass rushing ability. I only know of Acho and Reed that would have it, and both should be available in 2nd round. Each are not prolific pass rushers, but perhaps adequate. I think Smith has more natural ability than each, but he is raw and possibily a liability against the run.... How long do we want to wait for him to develop? Is he just a 1 down OLB at this point in his maturity, bring him in as a situational pass rusher, possibly play 4-3 DE?...

So, it comes down to for me;
    Jordan or Wilkerson
    Smith or Reed, Acho

Who would you take...Jordan or Wilkerson? Jordan at 17, or Wilkerson at 28/33?

Based on what I have seen to date, I think I would lean this way;
    17 - Jordan
    28 - Leshoure
    33 - trade down a few spots (Hankerson/Baldwin)
    60 - Acho
    74 -Moffitt

Doesn't cure our need for a premier pass rusher this is what concerns me. Can we get enough pressure with Jordan and Acho in with Cunningham and Warren? I'm not looking for a 16 sack guy (although nice), just more pressure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

thanks pats lifer.
        acho seems solid, but if quinn falls this far (13) i'm tempted to move up and grab him. i do want  a beast and he could be it. then wilkerson, leshoure, moffit.
     if trade down  a couple with 33 then back up with what we get back, might still be able to land hankerson/baldwin too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]thanks pats lifer.     acho seems solid, but if quinn falls this far (13) i'm tempted to move up and grab him. i do want  a beast and he could be it. then wilkerson, leshoure, moffit.  if trade down  a couple with 33 then back up with what we get back, might still be able to land hankerson/baldwin too.
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that. Seems llike we have a lot of solid defensive players, and what we need is a playmaker. If Quinn is that guy, I would make the move up 4-5 spots to do it. it would take 200 points, our #74 pick to do it. So we would have to package 17 and 74 to go to 13....I say if, because I'm still on the fence is he is worth the move, but there may be some others that are.

if we trade away 74 to move up, that leaves us with 13, 28, 33, 60. Based on your input...
    13 - Quinn
    28 - Leshoure
    33 - Wilkerson
    Trade 60 up to 40something to grab Hankerson or Baldwin. I think each will go in the early 40's . We could probably package 60, 124 and something else to do it, but it will cost. 
    45 - Hankerson/Baldwin?....Is this worth it, or possibly wait until round 3, pick 92 to grab another WR?...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Patslifer,

If we ever had the draft like that, I'd say that would be extremely successful. We'd get my favorite 3-4 OLB fit in the Patriots scheme, for a little move up, which I hope BB considers if he has the situation to. Then my favorite 3-4 DE fit by far for the Patriots in Muhammed Wilkerson (prototypical size, great motor, good run stopper, solid pass rusher), and then 2 great luxuries when we can in LeShoure (a great Pats system "feature" back), and Hankerson/Baldwin at WR (bigger, physical WR, can stretch field).

I really don't forsee us taking OL, as I think there is little chance we don't resign Light, and I wouldn't be surprised if we brought Mankins back in some way shape or form. But it will be easier to see the outlook as the draft approaches. We will have at least a extra 1/2 for Mankins if we decide to Tag & Trade, so that will leave us with flexibility too.

Either way, I doubt we get that lucky, and get a draft like that, because it is too good to be true, and as a Pats fan, we all know we rarely get those "too good to be true" drafts, or ones that we project.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

pats lifer and sports lover,

1st patlifer,
               (re our selections above-you missed my desire for moffit) if we get none of these positons filled via fa other than resigns,
    i value the o-line stud above the receiver, so would err on losing baldwin/hankerson, but i do not care about the low round picks(how many more rookies are we goona add to this team) and if we can get 
    moffit ideally or watkins, then hankerson/baldwin, not necessarily in that order, but in priority order, that would be the ideal.  if there's any picks left or iin undrafteds, i want a tall good fs.

so for me it's pass rusher -olb 1st, d line and o line 2nd (tie), big breakaway 3 down back, tall tough receiver who can get off blocks and catch, then free safety.

sportsbozo,
        yes this may be ideal. but that's what we are talking about. the draft has far too many variables after every pick for us to go through all of the possible permutations. who knows if any of our picks will happen, but it's fun to root for something.

a mock to me is what you'd like most to happen 
    or mock b, what every team is most likely to do (less fun to me- and who would really know anyway).

do you have any suggested alternatives to any of the last few pages of mocks?
    i always want to learn/project/fantasize more.

thanks guys

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

OH SPIT!

Bill O'Brien promoted to offensive coordinator.

one of my high "draft" hopes didnt come true...

:(

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

cbdam,

You can have your fantasy mock all you want, and I didn't call out that mock in any way, actually saying it would be a great mock for the Patriots, but in the same breath it is extremely unlikely to happen. There are a few types of mock, realistic mocks, and fan pipeline mocks, both are perfectly fine, and I am not categorizing that mock in either section but just realize that a lot of fans are rather uneducated on the topics and don't make the best mocks. I think this board has a bunch of educated solid fan base, but I have the right to speak my opinion, although you took it out of context.

Also Bill O'Brien, is perfectly fine as O-Coordinator. We had best offense in league last year, stop the 1 game overraction, not just you but everybody. We will be fine on offense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]cbdam, You can have your fantasy mock all you want, and I didn't call out that mock in any way, actually saying it would be a great mock for the Patriots, but in the same breath it is extremely unlikely to happen. There are a few types of mock, realistic mocks, and fan pipeline mocks, both are perfectly fine, and I am not categorizing that mock in either section but just realize that a lot of fans are rather uneducated on the topics and don't make the best mocks. I think this board has a bunch of educated solid fan base, but I have the right to speak my opinion, although you took it out of context. Also Bill O'Brien, is perfectly fine as O-Coordinator. We had best offense in league last year, stop the 1 game overraction, not just you but everybody. We will be fine on offense.
    Posted by sportslover21[/QUOTE]

hey sprtslover21,
     thanks and i understand. 
    i still dont know what a realistic mock would be since i'm not sure anuyone is privy to what bb may do in the draft.
    thanks for the comments. i'm open to more on the patriots and the nfl, and especially the draft.

cheers man

cbdam/bredbru

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

mayock's top 5 by position:

Quarterback:

*1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
    2. Jake Locker, Washington
    *3. Cam Newton, Auburn
    *4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
    5. Andy Dalton, TCU

running back:

*1. Mark Ingram, Alabama
    2. Mikel LeShoure, Illinois
    *3. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State
    *4. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
    *5. Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State

Wide receiver:

*1. A.J. Green, Georgia
    *2. Julio Jones, Alabama
    3. Titus Young, Boise State
    *4. Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
    *5. Torrey Smith

Tight end:

*1. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
    2. Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin
    3. Luke Stocker, Tennessee
    4. D.J. Williams, Arkansas
    5. Virgil Green, Nevada

Guard/center:

1. Mike Pouncey, Florida
    2. Danny Watkins, Baylor
    3. Clint Boling, Georgia
    4. John Moffitt, Wisconsin
    5. Rodney Hudson, Florida State

Tackle:

1. Anthony Castanzo, Boston College
    2. Nate Solder, Colorado
    *3. Tyron Smith, Southern California
    4. Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
    T-5. Ben Ijalana, Villanova
    T-5. Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State

Defensive End:

*1. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
    *2. J.J. Watt, Wisconsin
    3. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
    4. Cameron Jordan, California
    *5. Robert Quinn, North Carolina

Defensive tackle:

*1. Marcell Dareus, Alabama
    *2. Nick Fairley, Auburn
    *3. Corey Liuget, Illinois
    4. Stephen Paea, Oregon State
    *5. Jurrell Casey, Southern California

Outside Linebacker:

1. Von Miller, Texas A&M
    *2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA
    *3. Justin Houston, Georgia
    4. Bruce Carter, North Carolina
    5. Chris Carter, Fresno State

Inside Linebacker:

*1. Martez Wilson, Illinois
    2. Colin McCarthy, Miami (Fla.)
    3. Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina
    4. Casey Matthews, Oregon
    5. Kelvin Sheppard, LSU

Cornerback:

*1. Patrick Peterson, LSU
    2. Prince Amukamara
    *3. Aaron Williams, Texas
    4. Jimmy Smith, Colorado
    *5. Brandon Harris, Miami (Fla.)

Safety:

*1. Rahim Moore, UCLA
    2. Ahmad Black, Florida
    3. Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson

4. Quinton Carter, Oklahoma 

5.Deunta Williams, North Carolina

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

a player rep and what's in his mind:

More than 700 would-be free agents affected by labor strife

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Jason Babin has won the gamble he took by signing a one-year deal with Tennessee.

The defensive end racked up a career-high 12.5 sacks and earned his first Pro Bowl berth. But all his hard work may not pay off in a multimillion dollar deal.

NFL labor strife will likely mean Babin won't be wined and dined on an owner's private jet during free agency.

Relive the NFL season in HD with NFL Game Rewind.Sign up now to get full access to the season archives.

With the collective bargaining agreement expiring March 3, Babin and other would-be free agents face the very real possibility that they get ordered back to their old teams at the bargain basement price of 120 percent of their last salary. Play another season, risk serious injury. And wait.

"That's really scary to me," Babin said. "That definitely wouldn't be good timing. Hey, there's so many guys in a similar situation as myself with contracts expiring, it would be unfair practice and I think a lot would have a huge problem with it."

Babin has lots of company in facing this nightmare scenario.

More than 700 NFL players have contracts expiring with the labor deal, a group that includes players like Indianapolis running back Joseph Addai finishing up his fourth season in the league to Titans linebacker Stephen Tulloch who missed out on free agency in 2010 when rules for the final year of the CBA allowed Tennessee to keep him with a one-year deal.

How many years a player needs to reach free agency is something that could change in a new labor deal.

There are veterans like Titans quarterback Kerry Collins, who might decide to retire after 16 NFL seasons. Tennessee fullback Ahmard Hall signed his first league deal as a free agent in 2006, and the former Marine is ready to capitalize on blocking for a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his five pro seasons.

Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway was a Pro Bowl alternate this season and with his five years' experience could find himself not eligible for free agency. He doesn't know what's happening this offseason with his family wanting to know where they'll live next.

"For me, of course you're anxious because you want to know what's going to happen, but at the same time ... you can't do too much about it. Just going to stay patient," Greenway said recently.

Then there's Babin.

The Titans are his fifth NFL team in seven seasons. A first-round pick out of Western Michigan in 2004 by Houston, the 6-foot-3, 260-pound Babin didn't fit in as the outside rushing linebacker they wanted. He had just 13 sacks in his three seasons with the Texans before Houston traded him to Seattle in September 2007.

He played four games before the Seahawks released him a year later. Kansas City signed him as a free agent in November 2008, and Babin landed in Philadelphia in August 2009 where he played in 12 games with 2.5 sacks. Babin signed an offer for $1 million with Tennessee on March 19, and the Eagles declined to match.

For the kid who once dragged a tire down the streets of Paw Paw, Mich., trying to prepare himself for the NFL, Tennessee proved the perfect defense for Babin as he turned in the best year of his professional career. He had 58 tackles, those 12.5 sacks and forced two fumbles in a performance that earned him a trip to Hawaii as a starter.

Babin is back home in Texas with his family and says he tries not to worry about what he has little control over.

NFL Scouting Combine on NFL Network: 
    www.nfl.com/combine">Follow more than 300 draft prospects with NFL Network's live coverage of the 2011 combine, which will begin on Wednesday, Feb. 24 and continue through Tuesday, March 1.

» www.nfl.com/combine">Complete combine coverage 
    » www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networkschedule">NFL Network broadcast schedule

"There's so many moving parts to this and so many people that will be affected by it, it would be atrocious on the owner's side of things to forego the season ... they would be looked on by the public as monsters. I don't think they want that," Babin said.

The NFL and the NFL Players Association met for a few hours Wednesday, then canceled Thursday's session.

Teammates elected Babin as an assistant player's representative during the season, so he stays in touch updating fellow players because they all want to know the latest information whenever they run into each other or talk on the phone.

"It's in everybody's minds," he said.

Babin said he has been planning a long time for whatever happens in 2011 in case the NFL suffers its first stoppage in play since 1987 and feels he's been pretty wise. He has a side business running a hunting ranch in Texas. He's much more worried about younger players.

"Those guys in their second or third year that don't have much saved or don't have much direction if things do go south. That's who I think is really in the most jeopardy and most concern in my mind," Babin said.

"Everyone's been talking about it. It's obvious the owners have been preparing for it for three years secretly so they think it's a real possibility to at least prepare for it. I'm glad now I'm kind of on the inside to see the truth of what's really going on. It's something that happens every ... 25 years it seems like. It's the NFL timetable."

Tennessee is a team Babin wanted to return to with a new contract. But his defensive line coach Jim Washburn is now in Philadelphia, the Titans parted with coach Jeff Fisher at the end of January after 16 full seasons as head coach and replaced him by promoting offensive line coach Mike Munchak on Monday.

So Babin isn't sure yet what defense will be run until Munchak hires a new coordinator and line coach. He just monitors the situation closely with friends texting him updates every time something new happens in Nashville. He's staying busy living life as a father and husband as he usually does each offseason.

Though this offseason brings this new twist.

"There's definitely a wait and see," Babin said.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Mr Kraft

Just give us Tamba Hali, Cullen Jenkins, Malcolm Floyd and Pierre Thomas......

Then the draft....................WOW

Eat them apples..............

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]wow. Just watched that Wilkerson clip on You Tube. He can really move, eh? Me likey.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

i have been flipflopping between watt and wilkerson. i saw three wisconsin games to watch the OL, but Watt was indeed noticeable. now though the youtube clips are the only things on which i can base my assessments and comparisons of the two.

one big difference i noticed (and i don't know if the clips are truly representative):  the tackles on wilkerson's clip are really good tackles - arms wrapped around. it seems that he is pretty good at getting his body close enough to the ball to make reliable tackles. on the other hand a lot of the tackles on watt's clip were hand tackles that i think will not work in the nfl.  i can see the upside on watt, but right now, wilkerson seems to be the better tackler.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

just read this on tim grahams chat, made me laugh and i thougth some here might enjoy it (especially if you've got a sense of humor and in th emood to be amused).

"Yes, it's that time of year. But part of the reason the offseason can be so grueling is sorting through all the uneducated speculation that turns our to be wrong 98 percent of the time. With that in mind, I've never done a mock draft and never will. The Bills don't even know who they're going to draft right now. So, with all due respect to anybody's draft forecast questions, it would be disingenuous for me to pretend like I know something the Bills (or any other team) don't know themselves. I'll leave that up to the draftniks."

yeah i admit it,
     i'm a draftnik and i enjoy it... and nobody gets klilled..

peace

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : For me I just have not seen enough film on either player. JJ is much more athletic and active but i really only saw him in the bowl game and do not claim to know his responsibilities in that game or Wis. D system. At times he seemed undisciplined or moving without thought, simply reckless abandon. That strictly a knee jerk reaction/assessment from watching one game and not even entirely focusing on him as there were other players to try and watch also. Only a general feel. For what is worth. Mayock recently finished watching film on Watt and called him a beast and his top rated 3-4 DE. Wilkerson I really only saw one clip on him on YouTube and well its wasn't bad but nothing really jumped out at you either. Simply solid. Another guy who no one talks about much and I think could be viewed as a possibility is the kid from Baylor. People keep trying to stick him in a box like they do with so many players. I think everyone thinks he's only a NT. Not sure of that. The film I have watch shows he can move and is just a big man and not some fat slob with a huge belly. The weird thing about his film though is that he almost does better against double teams than he is one-on-one. I am assuming when he makes his rush moves he loses leverage or balance which is not good but when he anchors he's not going anywhere. Maybe that's why people have him pegged for nose tackle only?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    I have seen at least 6 games with JJ Watt, none with Wilkerson but I would rate Watt higher based on level of competition.  I know much more about Watt, he is a great character kid, smart, clean off the field, has huge hands and makes big plays.  He has a non stop motor.  In our system he will need to work more on keeping assignments and not always trying to penetrate.  He can be over aggressive at times.  But these are correctable problems.

Wilkerson played against mostly soft competition with the exception of Penn State and UCONN.  Other teams he faced were: Villanova, Central Michigan, Army, Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Akron, Kent State, Ohio (not to be confused with Ohio State) and Miami OH (not to be confused with Miami).

Other than Penn State's Wisniewski, the only other draftable OL he faced was Zach Hurd from UCONN and Ben Ijalana of Villanova.  How did Wilkerson do against Penn State and UCONN?  He had 2 tackles against UCONN, 1 solo.  The UCONN game was his worst statistical game of the season by far.  Against Penn State he had 9 tackles, 4 solo.  He did not register a sack in either game.  His sacks came against Central Michigan (2), Army, Buffalo (3), Kent State (3), and Miami (OH).  So, I think we need to discount his 68 tackles (45 solo) and 10 sacks somewhat if we're being fair.

JJ Watt faced better teams with better OLs.  But he played some dogs too.  His schedule included UNLV, San Jose State, Arizona State, Austin Peay, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern.  Stephen Schilling from Michigan, Justin Boren and Bryant Browning from Ohio State, Julian Vandervelde from Iowa, James Brewer from Indiana, DJ Young and J'Michael Deane from Michigan State are clearly better OLs.  Michigan State and Ohio State have pretty solid OLs and Watt had a 10 tackle (5 solo) with a sack against Michigan State and 4 tackles, all solo and 2 sacks against Ohio State.  He also had a sack against Iowa, Purdue and Northwestern.  Watt's 62 tackles, 43 solo and 7 sacks to me are more impressive than Wilkerson's 68 tackles (45 solo) and 10 sacks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Taylor was 337 at the SB, here's what West Bunting of The National Football Post had to say: "Baylor DL Phil Taylor carried 337-pounds about as well as you can for a defensive linemen. At 6034 he didn’t seem to have much extra girth through the mid-section and also appeared to be in good shape. The kind of size/length to get looks both inside and as a potential five-technique at the next level." I do agree that his character etc., will need to be looked into and he didn't appear to be an overlly productive player, but he does have excellent strength and quickness for his size and I could see him playing snaps at NT or DE in NE's 3-4.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    I watched Taylor closely in the Texas Bowl.  Taylor flashed a couple of times and he single-handedly stopped one drive but most of the game he was a non factor.  He appeared to take plays off.  Add this to his character issues and I don't think he's a good fit for the Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

One thing we should always remember, 1st round picks need to be safe picks.  With the money we pay them and the extra year in contract length, we cannot afford a bust.  The one thing the Pats have done as well as any team is they've made good picks in the first round.  The only "bust" in the BB era was Maroney.  Some of us may not have been thrilled with Meriweather but he made the Pro Bowl a few times already. 

My point is, just because rush OLB appears to be our biggest need, doesn't mean we should try to address it in the first round.  I have pointed out as have others that history is full of first round pass rushing busts.  History is also filled with later round gems at the position.  We would be better off drafting DL like Jordan/Watt or OT like Castonzo/Carimi/Solder than gambling on a DE conversion pass rusher early on.

Taylor and Wilkerson are risky picks IMO and I wouldn't touch either with any of our first 3 picks.