2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You're killing me with no Cobb on this list, but I'd go with this: 17 - JJ Watt 28 - Gabe Carimi 33 - Mike Pouncey 60 - Aaron Williams 74 - Brooks Reed 92 - Kendall Hunter 124 - Jarvis Jenkins 156 - Owen Marecic 184 - Jeremy Kerley
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Your list looks very solid to me. I would love this draft although I to love Cobb. You guys do a tremendous job on here with your ideas and various viewpoints. Keep up the good work.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

reading all the posts has made me think about the drafting of another large ..slower d-lineman to "set the edge and stand there waiting for the run to come to them...That has worked out really well and has made a number of QB's almost hall of famers...Not like we dont have enough of that type of players,,,SEE D-Line names   height and weights.....Seems to be working perfectly for the playoff caliber teams...  Maybe a little tweeking of mindsets and draft players with speed...or quickness and be aggressive....its a passing league and unless the passive aggressive defense doesnt change, the offense will have to continue to average 31 pts a game for pats to win....Cmon BB....replace koppen....neal...(maybe mankins) after you fix..the D-line and outside LB positions....with fast explosive players...leave the large bodies out of this one...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : only comment for me would be i would rather go after any one of the three(weddle, manning, huff) top FA safeties this year over drafting moore there. With a 1st a top 2nd and a solid Sanders already atop the 1,2,3 safety spot what's the reasoning with Moore? Replacing Meri?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

The reasoning behind Moore was 2 fold.
    1. My intent was indeed replacing Meri. Moore is a sound safety, tackles well, takes good angles (good technique) excellent in pass coverage, stout enough against the run.
    2. Moore has also played a little corner at UCLA, so he could be used as that slot corner/safety, kind of like how we used Chung last year. I woudl rather free Chung up to be more aggressive playing closer to the line and letting him roam a bit. So, Moore could play CB as a backup, or at least give us depth there if needed. Almost a 2 for 1 deal as I think he has more versatility than Meri, and would negate the need to draft another CB as camp fodder or for depth later on.

I like your collection of FA safeties as well. I thiink this all depends on what the Pats do with guys like Page, McGowan, etc. Bottomline, between your FA safeties or Moore, I think it's an upgrade at that position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : The reasoning behind Moore was 2 fold. 1. My intent was indeed replacing Meri. Moore is a sound safety, tackles well, takes good angles (good technique) excellent in pass coverage, stout enough against the run. 2. Moore has also played a little corner at UCLA, so he could be used as that slot corner/safety, kind of like how we used Chung last year. I woudl rather free Chung up to be more aggressive playing closer to the line and letting him roam a bit. So, Moore could play CB as a backup, or at least give us depth there if needed. Almost a 2 for 1 deal as I think he has more versatility than Meri, and would negate the need to draft another CB as camp fodder or for depth later on. I like your collection of FA safeties as well. I thiink this all depends on what the Pats do with guys like Page, McGowan, etc. Bottomline, between your FA safeties or Moore, I think it's an upgrade at that position.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

OK that's what I figured.

You probably already remember this but thought i would bring it up since you brought it up with Moore. Meri played CB at times for U of Miami and for the Pats as well a few times early on.

So although Moore might be a 2 for 1 sorta, as you put it, you are not gaining that ability over what is on the roster currently.

I understand your view about Meri as it is well documented by all of us on his lapses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : OK that's what I figured. You probably already remember this but thought i would bring it up since you brought it up with Moore. Meri played CB at times for U of Miami and for the Pats as well a few times early on. So although Moore might be a 2 for 1 sorta, as you put it, you are not gaining that ability over what is on the roster currently. I understand your view about Meri as it is well documented by all of us on his lapses.

Yes, I was aware that Meri played CB for a spell at Miami and a little with us. I don't see us using him in that role anymore, and I don't know if it has to do with his ability or lack thereof, or others we have able to do this on the roster. 

I think Moore's pass coverage abilities are far better than Meri's, and his overall technique is better as well. I feel strange comparing Moore who is an unproven NFL player to a "pro-bowler", but i think we have to. 

Now, I wouldn't draft Moore if we signed Page, McGowan or any of the other FA's you mention. Honestly, i would liek to do some analysis here on our current roster's grade vs. Moore and the FA's you mention. 

I also think it highly unlikely BB takes another safety top of round 2 like he did with Chung not too long ago. How does Moore stack up grade wise against our current roster, those we might sign in FA, and Page/McGowan? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : faucet, i do think tyron smith could be an all pro left tackle in the making.  dont like that we would have to take him at 17. i think the defense is a little more important this year (want a super bowl next year for a shot at 2 before brady and bb who knows, aren't around); however if we could get our stud de and olb and pickup an excellent guard, then for sure.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

My preference would be Watt at 17 but if he's gone I wouldn't reach for Heyward just to make a DL pick.  Most teams would be thrilled to spend a top 5 pick to get a Pro Bowl Left Tackle so if we can get one at 17, that would be great value.  We have 4 other picks in the top 75 where we can get a stud C/G.  Heyward might be hanging around at 28/33.  Bailey/Acho should be available at 60. 

Acho is a player.  He's a tremendous character kid with a high motor.  He just isn't getting any love for some reason.  At 6-2, 257, 4.72 he is way faster than our current OLBs.  He had 8 sacks each of the last two seasons at his DE spot.  I think he can play weak side 34 OLB.  He flashed at the Senior Bowl.  He played against good competition at Texas going up against Oklahoma, Nebraska and Oklahoma State, etc. 

Senior defensive end Sam Acho has been selected as the College Football Performance Awards Division I FBS 2010 National Defensive Lineman Trophy Winner, the CFPA has announced. In a letter to Sam, CFPA Executive Director Bradley C. Smith explained the criteria for the award. "The goal of the College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) is to provide the most scientifically rigorous conferments in college football. CFPA recognizes weekly, annual, and multi-season (career) award recipients - selected based upon objective scientific rankings of the extent to which individual players increase the overall effectiveness of their teams," Smith wrote. "After an extensive review of the existing data, literature, and evidence, it was determined that you finished the 2010 season with the strongest defensive lineman performance in D-I FBS college football. As a result, your performance satisfies the strict criteria CFPA established for recognition. In 2010, he recorded 59 tackles, 17 TFL, nine sacks, 17 pressures, five forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. His five fumble recoveries lead the nation this season and are tied the UT single-season record. His five forced fumbles are tied for second nationally and tied for seventh on the UT single-season list. - Mack Brown Texas football

I think this kid is flying way under the radar right now and at pick 60, I'd pull the trigger on him.  He's a competitor, hates to lose and even on a bad team, he never quit.

So, Left Tackle at 17, if Watt is gone, and we can still fill the other needs by pick 74.  Our draft could look like this and we pick up a 2012 3rd.

17.  OT Tyron Smith
    28.  DE Cameron Heyward
    33.  (trade down to 42) FS Rahim Moore
    60.  OLB Sam Acho
    74.  C/G John Moffitt
    92.  RB Bilal Powell

Another option instead of Heyward is Marvin Austin.  I know we have to check into his character but he was the best player on the field in the Shriner's Game.  Instead of taking a S, we could trade back perhaps into the mid 50s, pick up a 2012 2nd and get Austin and perhaps take a back at 28.  How would this look?

17.  OT Tyron Smith
    28.  RB Mikel LeShoure
    33.  (trade down to 55) DT Marvin Austin
    60.  OLB Sam Acho
    74.  C/G John Moffitt
    92.  WR Austin Pettis

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Your list looks very solid to me. I would love this draft although I to love Cobb. You guys do a tremendous job on here with your ideas and various viewpoints. Keep up the good work.
    Posted by patriot-fan-74[/QUOTE]

Nice list, except I don't see his names lasting as long as he has it there.

Pouncey won't last until 60 and Carimi likely never makes it out Round 1.

Agreed on their research and mocks, though. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Yes, I was aware that Meri played CB for a spell at Miami and a little with us. I don't see us using him in that role anymore, and I don't know if it has to do with his ability or lack thereof, or others we have able to do this on the roster.  I think Moore's pass coverage abilities are far better than Meri's, and his overall technique is better as well. I feel strange comparing Moore who is an unproven NFL player to a "pro-bowler", but i think we have to.  Now, I wouldn't draft Moore if we signed Page, McGowan or any of the other FA's you mention. Honestly, i would liek to do some analysis here on our current roster's grade vs. Moore and the FA's you mention.  I also think it highly unlikely BB takes another safety top of round 2 like he did with Chung not too long ago. How does Moore stack up grade wise against our current roster, those we might sign in FA, and Page/McGowan? 

I get all your points and makes sense. It's all possible. Is this Meri's contract year?

Anyway, here are the grades coming out of college i could gather up.

Rahim Moore 88
    Meriweather 83 (last year of contract?, 1st round #24 overall in 2007)
    Eric Weddle 83 (Top FA S this year, 2nd round #37 overall in 2007)
    Daniel Manning ?? (2nd round, #42 overall in 2006)
    Miachael Huff ?? (1st round , 7th overall in 2006)
    Patrick Chung 82 (2nd round, #34 overall)
    Josh Barrett 73 (7th round #220 overall in 2008)
    James Sanders ?? (4th round)
    Brandon McGowen ?? (UDFA)
    Jared Page ?? (7th round)
    Sergio Brown 35
    Bret Lockett ?? (UDFA 2009)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I like some of the WR's like Cobb. I just couldn't see where to put them. If I'm drafting Cobb or another WR its as a replacement for Branch. At least that's how I would view it from NE's perspective. I guess you could add one as a replacement for Slater but then you have to have one of those guys in the draft be able to fill Slaters special teams duties as effectively. ...between the full house at WR and Hernandez's WR like receiving skills I just couldn't see it early.? Is that your thought? To replace Branch or Slater? That's why I really only had two WR's listed at all. I actually believe in the young kids they have. The 2 WR's I listed are big freakish kind of athletes so they offer something different then what's on the roster.

I'd take Cobb with an eye towards him being Branch's (31 with durability issues) eventual successor, though I think there is also room to upgrade both Slater and Edelman's roster spots.  Slater is purely an ST guy and Edelman, while he's flashed and has some return ability, hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy or consistent and I feel that Cobb has the much higher ceiling and would be an upgrade to the WR corp, he can also replace Edelman's return ability.  So short term he could replace Slater or Edelman while providing a longer term replacement for Branch.  BB loves versatile and this kid is as versatile as they come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : If rosters expand he makes sense but I don't think we'd carry 4 TEs on the active roster.  I say let Crump have one last shot at a SB and stay with the guys we have.  So, if you want to have a bet about this, I'd consider it. Looking at teams needing TEs, they are mostly bunched at the top.  CAR, DEN, BUF, ARI.  Then you have HOU, STL, JAX (they have a great #1), KC and ATL.  If Rudolph slips out of the first round with neither KC (21) or ATL (27) taking him we should be able to let him slide to 33.  But again, I think we have bigger needs and if we wanted to address TE why not later on? As for Tyron Smith.  Even if he's 296, where he is listed today, I think he's worth pick 17.  He just turned 20 in December.  I was done growing upward at 20 but still had some filling out to do.  (I trying to reverse some of that filling out now).  I've been researching him lately and watching some tape.  He plays with a real mean streak especially in the run game.  He looks fast on tape with quick feet.  In a perfect world we'd keep Light for a year and give this kid a year to learn and bulk up then turn him loose in 2012 but he could probably start now.  At least he has the speed and quickness to stay with the faster edge rushers.  The way we've been famous for coaching up OLs, this kid would be putty and should go on to be a multiple All Pro.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

The question on Smith is can he play on the left side because he's currrently a RT for USC.  I'm gonna try and check some tape out on the kid because he looks like an intriguing kid. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : i think thats a pretty sound draft. My only concern would be that we would problably need to add a pass rusher in f/a in order for us to solidify that area. I like brooks reed, but i think talent-wise we are in the lower half of the nfl in terms of pass rushers, and i dont think brooks reed is enough of an upgrade if we wanna be in the super bowl next season. Plus i dont think pouncey will fall to the 60th pick. hes a 1st round player
    Posted by Patsfan24-7[/QUOTE]

I agree that Pouncey is a Rd 1 kid and probably won't make it past Pittsburgh, I was making the selections based off of Low's slotting options.

I'm not sure that there's an edge players in this class that you can say "hey if we draft this kid, we're in the Superbowl next season", there's just too much uncertainty with these types of players, especially for the converts.  To me, the only sure things would be guys like Woodley (who already signed is franchise tender) and Hali.  Hali would be available to NE as he was designated with the non-exclusive franchise tag which means teams are free to sign him to an offer sheet, of course KC has the option to match and if they chose to let him walk, NE would have to hand over two 1st rounders.

I'd have to assume that the folks on this board that have been willing to give up two 1st rounders for a small, unproven Von Miller would jump at the chance to do the same for Hali, of course, Hali would also cost some coin. 

As for Reed, I think he's exactly the kind of talented, big motor kid that they need. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I'd take Cobb with an eye towards him being Branch's (31 with durability issues) eventual successor, though I think there is also room to upgrade both Slater and Edelman's roster spots.  Slater is purely an ST guy and Edelman, while he's flashed and has some return ability, hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy or consistent and I feel that Cobb has the much higher ceiling and would be an upgrade to the WR corp, he can also replace Edelman's return ability.  So short term he could replace Slater or Edelman while providing a longer term replacement for Branch.  BB loves versatile and this kid is as versatile as they come.

I have no problem drafting WR high but i would want it to be with an eye on replacing Branch NOW not later.

If you want to replace slater I would rather do it with a kid who places a position AND is highly touted as a special teams tackler(gunner) / blocker and not a returner. The Patriots have plenty of guys they can use in various return ways.

If you replace Edelman what difference would it make since Edelman can play and they don't use him anyway so what makes you think they would use his replacement? You have to draft high to get Cobb and then he's going to sit next to price or ahead of him like Edelman or maybe even play ahead of Tate and that's still not helping price and may not help Tate either since they seem to have some similar skill set. NE used two 3rd round picks on those guys(Tate & Price) so they are expected to be contributors and both have basically 1 yr of experience so far so its too early, you would assume, to give up on them.

ok I am trying to take this all in. If you draft Cobb then Branch is out for me in my opinion. Cobb would be too costly to view as only taking Salter or Edelmans roster spots. That's ok with me because I hate when Brady gets attached to his binkies anyway.

If you want to replace Edelman or Salter then I would rather take Greg Little(value) who you can get later, it seems right now, because he missed last season as part of the NC crew that got suspended. He also adds a different size element to the WR crew and is a physical blocker and ex running back with similar all purpose abilities although i don't think he did any returning.

Randall Cobb 5-11 186 to replace Branch's roster spot based on current draft projections
    Greg Little 6-3 220 to replace Slater or Edelman if he slides as currently projected
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKB-KIQMg4

Again this has nothing to do with Cobbs ability as I like him, only my feelings on how the team is currently constructed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : The question on Smith is can he play on the left side because he's currrently a RT for USC.  I'm gonna try and check some tape out on the kid because he looks like an intriguing kid. 

Smith has supposedly had 2 sprained MCL's already in his career. For what ever its worth...

I agree its an impressive projection by scouts saying he could be an all pro LT when he has never even played there in college.

Here is a nice video of Smith VS Cameron Jordan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HKsYCCXGk

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What do you all make of what DM tells Merri at Detroit? 

I am now more convinced Merri will be traded before the season begins.

McCourty said his favorite interception this season came on Thanksgiving against the Lions, which was the most impressive, in my opinion, because he outleaped wide receiver Calvin Johnson for the ball. McCourty mentioned how flat the Patriots played in the first half and how they kept saying they needed to do something to turn the tide. Then, McCourty went over to safety Brandon Meriweather and said they need to stop talking about making a play and actually make a real play. On the next series, McCourty recorded the pick, and it sprung the Pats on a 35-7 run to finish the game. He said he was just proud to do something to energize the team and push them toward a victory.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I have no problem drafting WR high but i would want it to be with an eye on replacing Branch NOW not later. If you want to replace slater I would rather do it with a kid who places a position AND is highly touted as a special teams tackler(gunner) / blocker and not a returner. The Patriots have plenty of guys they can use in various return ways. If you replace Edelman what difference would it make since Edelman can play and they don't use him anyway so what makes you think they would use his replacement? You have to draft high to get Cobb and then he's going to sit next to price or ahead of him like Edelman or maybe even play ahead of Tate and that's still not helping price and may not help Tate either since they seem to have some similar skill set. NE used two 3rd round picks on those guys(Tate & Price) so they are expected to be contributors and both have basically 1 yr of experience so far so its too early, you would assume, to give up on them. ok I am trying to take this all in. If you draft Cobb then Branch is out for me in my opinion. Cobb would be too costly to view as only taking Salter or Edelmans roster spots. That's ok with me because I hate when Brady gets attached to his binkies anyway. If you want to replace Edelman or Salter then I would rather take Greg Little(value) who you can get later, it seems right now, because he missed last season as part of the NC crew that got suspended. He also adds a different size element to the WR crew and is a physical blocker and ex running back with similar all purpose abilities although i don't think he did any returning. Randall Cobb 5-11 186 to replace Branch's roster spot based on current draft projections Greg Little 6-3 220 to replace Slater or Edelman if he slides as currently projected http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKB-KIQMg4 Again this has nothing to do with Cobbs ability as I like him, only my feelings on how the team is currently constructed.

As far as Branch goes, nice story, good to see him back in a Patriots' uniform, but he's replaceable at this stage in his career so I don't think it would be out of the question to target his replacement in this draft with Cobb being an option.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : For the record, I was with you on Rudolph at the right spot of course. I think we can carry 4 TE's, especially if 1 of them is more or less a WR anyway. I think Rudolph is a mid 2nd rounder at this point, but would like to know if that is the case. I've seen him mocked anywhere from 38-50, but he should be the first TE off the board, so perhaps he is closer to 33 or top of 2nd rather than middle. I would bit on smith at 17 if like you said he comes in at over 300. However, if he or Watt were there both at 17, I would go Watt, and pick up an OT later.

My bad, PL, guess I was speaking more in general that folks didn't agree with the value.  I think he's a top 20 overall talent in this class and could see him going off the board anywhere from say the 15-40 range.  I like him at 28 or 33 and am still a huge Watt at 17 advocate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I kinda like the idea of getting Kyle Rudolph as well... while a lot of people think that the nfl is turning into a "spread  league" a "passing league" i actualy think its turning into a multiple formation type of league. The more multiple an offense is, the harder it is to stop. I think the patriots dominated games this year not necessarily on talent, but great use of their personel in multiple formations, and at the root of all this were the 3 tight ends.Now if you add Kyle Rudolph to the mix, i think we can be extremely multiple, and we use 1 of the 4 tight ends as a full-back at times as well. Having multiple tight ends on the field also helps  with pass rushers which makes pass rushers have to work really hard to get to the quarterback with tight ends being able to stay in and help the tackle, chip block ect.. Im not as concerned about our offensive line as most people are, part of the reason is because with our tight ends we have so much formation flexibility, if mankins comes back, and we sign matt light to a 1 year deal, i think we should be fine, especialy if we add someone like kyle rudolph into the mix.
    Posted by Patsfan24-7[/QUOTE]

Good stuff, I agree with this. I mean I would think (because I'm not there) the basis for most OC's scheme/gamelan would be to create as many mismatches in possible thus putting their players in position to make plays and that is exactly what packaging any combo of Rudolph/Gronk/Hernandez on the field would accomplish.  As you point out, and especially with Gronk and Rudolph inline, you are able to disguise a lot more because of their ability to both block and pass making it tougher for the D to key the run vs. pass based on on-field personnel.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : mb,  i think i went with you on rudolph, at least halfway. i saw the use of him and bought the persuasive original case you made. however how early do you have to take him?  i dont want to lose out on the top olb, de t, g of my plans. 
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

My bad, brd, I prob shoud have worded it differently.  I like him at 28 or 33 or if they trade back a bit from 17 as I still have Watt atop my target list for them at 17.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]What do you all make of what DM tells Merri at Detroit?  I am now more convinced Merri will be traded before the season begins. McCourty said his favorite interception this season came on Thanksgiving against the Lions, which was the most impressive, in my opinion, because he outleaped wide receiver Calvin Johnson for the ball. McCourty mentioned how flat the Patriots played in the first half and how they kept saying they needed to do something to turn the tide. Then, McCourty went over to safety Brandon Meriweather and said they need to stop talking about making a play and actually make a real play. On the next series, McCourty recorded the pick, and it sprung the Pats on a 35-7 run to finish the game. He said he was just proud to do something to energize the team and push them toward a victory.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Not sure of the context. It's always tricky with those articles.

It simply could have been motivational and he might have said it simply to Meri feeling either of them are the top guys(leaders) of the DB's and the most likely to step up and make a play.?

I absolutely have been in that situation and approached only the guy or guys most capable of making a big play and calling them out to step up, along with myself.

I am still bothered more by Meri's own words of stating he knew he was doing the wrong thing(not what the coaches wanted) but did it anyway cause he wanted to try out some new things. As both a player and coach of sports, not even talking football specific, that lit my fuse.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Are these the official weigh in measurables?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Not sure of the context. It's always tricky with those articles. It simply could have been motivational and he might have said it simply to Meri feeling either of them are the top guys(leaders) of the DB's and the most likely to step up and make a play.? I absolutely have been in that situation and approached only the guy or guys most capable of making a big play and calling them out to step up, along with myself. I am still bothered more by Meri's own words of stating he knew he was doing the wrong thing(not what the coaches wanted) but did it anyway cause he wanted to try out some new things. As both a player and coach of sports, not even talking football specific, that lit my fuse.

Oh I agree with you 100%, him knowing and continuing to do what he wanted rather than what he was being coach is really as bad as  you can get from a player. 

This is what I read from this and I might be reading too much into it but it took a rookie to approach the "leader of the secondary" and say stop talking and do  your job. 

So how does this relate to the draft, there are a few good FSs that should be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I'm all for drafting a solid coverage safety.  Someone that will allow Chung to move closer to help in run support.

Moore or Carter, another option and way outside the box.  Get a good CB in the 1st and move Bodden to FS.  He is big fast and can play in space.  I know he'll probably help the team more as a CB but he's got FS written all over him.  He can match up with TEs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : As far as Branch goes, nice story, good to see him back in a Patriots' uniform, but he's replaceable at this stage in his career so I don't think it would be out of the question to target his replacement in this draft with Cobb being an option.

Yep.

By the way MB I know you enjoy a good contrarian source as myself so check this one.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/static/top-100-prospects.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Are these the official weigh in measurables? http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

If they are, Watt really is not big enough for their scheme/preferences.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Yep. By the way MB I know you enjoy a good contrarian source as myself so check this one. http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/static/top-100-prospects.html

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Tyron SMith might not even make it to the Patriots at #17.

He checked in today at  6-5 307 with 36 3/8 inch LONG arms and 11 inch hands!!