2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE] I think that is crazy!!!!!! Q: What do u think patriots do in first round of draft A: I'd use 2 of those 3 high picks to deal up for 1 of the 2 top WRs- SI_PeterKing
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]
    Peter King doesn't know the Patriots as well as we do.  He covers 32 teams.  I do think though that if Julio Jones is hanging around in the area of 17 that we should consider a play for him but I wouldn't give up much to move up very far.  If Watt and Jones are there at 17, I'd go with Watt.  But if Watt and Jordan are gone and Jones is there, I'd probably take him ahead of one of the OTs because I think we can get one later and Jones is a top 10 talent on my board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

After  all the new players gotten from lst year's draft, and that they have 6 selections, this year in the first three rounds, it would be wise to either use the rest to either trade up in this year's, or trade them for use next year.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]After  all the new players gotten from lst year's draft, and that they have 6 selections, this year in the first three rounds, it would be wise to either use the rest to either trade up in this year's, or trade them for use next year.  
    Posted by jjaycee[/QUOTE]

Unless of course there is an 18 game season and expanded rosters.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com

We compiled a short list of five of our favorite mock drafts out there for you to check out.  Read what they have to say about each of their first choices after the jump.

Site

Patriots 1A  (Oak)

Patriots 1B

Draft CountdownRyan Kerrigan, DE, PurdueCam Heyward, DE, OSU
    Draft BreakdownJ.J. Watt, DE, WisconsinMark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    Walter FootballTyron Smith, OT, USCJustin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia
    ESPN.com (Kiper)Cam Jordan, DE, CalTorrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    Draft AceMarcel Dareus, DE, AlabamaJonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt

DraftCountdown.com on Kerrigan –
    Purdue’s Ryan Kerrigan may not possess elite size, speed or athleticism but he’s just a terrific football player with a non-stop motor who finds a way to get the job done and that will endear him to a franchise like New England.

DraftBreakdown.com on Watt – Great pass-rusher who lives in offenses’ backfields and will add another dominant defensive lineman to New England’s repertoire. He may just have an impact similar to McCourty’s in 2010.

WalterFootball.com on Smith – Highly athletic at only 290 pounds, Smith has the frame to put on a lot of bulk (he’s rumored to be 305 right now). He shut down the impressive Cameron Jordan in their matchup this season.

Kiper on Jordan – A defensive end with the versatility to play either the 4-3 or the 3-4, his experience at the 3-4 at Cal makes him an ideal kind of Bill Belichick player. Smart, versatile and able to help the team in that role early.

DraftAce.com on Dareus – Marcel Dareus should be high on their list due to his experience in the 3-4 system at Alabama. He has the potential to start from day one opposite Ty Warren.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Rocky,

Of that group the player least likely to drop anywhere near 17 is Dareus.  He might be a safer pick than Fairley given Fairley's reputation as a dirty player and concerns about his shoulder.  Dareus should go easily in the top 10.

If Tyron Smith weighs in at or above 305 he instantly shoots up my board and we should be all over him at 17.  He's young, very athletic and has natural left tackle skills.

Ingram at 28 is an interesting thought.  I kind of been down on him this year but if he can play like he did his sophomore season, he would be a steal at 28. 

The two receivers, Baldwin and Smith, I just don't think I would take either over an OT which Kiper and Draft Ace have us doing.  Our need at OT with Light's future uncertain outweighs the need at WR which is probably our 5th or 6th highest need.  Just my opinion.  Of the choices mentioned I probably like Draft Breakdown and Walter's choices the best. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

here is my final pre combine mock draft!
    assuming mankins is resigned and light walks. Chad Johnson is signed to a one year deal similar to moss's. Matt Roth is signed and TBC is cut after training camp. this mock also assumess BB is BB and trades left and right.

17(1). trade down to later in the 1st picking up another 3rd round pick  ~20-30. Mikel Leshoure, RB, (Illinois)

28(1). Gabe Carimi, OL, (Wisconsin) 6’7, 325 or Nate Solder OT (Colorado) 6-9, 305

33(2)traded down to later in the 2nd and pick up another 3rd in a vastly over inflated market which there are alot of bidders with a night to think about their 2nd round pick.

~40. Muhammad Wilkerson (DE/DT) Temple

60(2).Brooks Reed OLB/DE (Arizona)

74(3). (trade into a 2012 2nd round pick if mankins is resigned if not select) Ben Ijalana OG/OT (Villanova) 6’4” 320

92(3). Duenta Williams S (North Carolina) 6’1” 215

3c. (b/c of trade down of #17) Mark Herzlich OLB (Boston College) 6’4” 238 will fall due to cancer scare

3d. (trade of 33) Casey Matthews ILB (Oregon) 6’2” 235

124(4). Owen Marecic, FB/LB (Stanford) 6-1, 245

156(5). Justin Rogers, CB (Richmond) 5’10” 182

6. (Compensatory for watson) Andrew Jackson, OG/DT (fresno state) 6’5” 295

184. Jeff Maehl WR (Oregon) 6’1” 184

FA. Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio State Height: 5-11. Weight: 175. Projected 40 Time: 4.61.

FA. Casey Richter, OT, McNeese State  Height: 6-6. Weight: 305.

FA. Jah Reid OT, Central Florida 6'7" 315

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

J.J Watt Scouting Report

http://nfldraftgeek.com/watt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Faucet, that's a good draft.

After looking at the the tackles a couple more times, I think Carimi stands out the most to me.

He could be an option @17.

[QUOTE]Here's my multiple option pre-Combine mock based on no Watt, Jordan or Quinn there at 17 with no trades. #17.  OT Anthony Costanzo or OLB Aldon Smith #28.  RB Mikel LeShoure or OT Derek Sherrod #33.  OLB Justin Houston or C/G Stefen Wisniewski #60.  DT Marvin Austin or RB Kendall Hunter #74.  C/G John Moffitt or WR Randall Cobb #92.  WR Austin Pettis or DT Jarvis Jenkins The rest I don't care for now.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

That's another great draft, natesubs. 

Wilkerson and Kerrigan are two players that worry me a bit. Wilkerson due to the competition level and Kerrigan just doesn't have the inate skills. Size and quickness are just not there.

I see both ending up in the 2nd round.

[QUOTE]here is my final pre combine mock draft! assuming mankins is resigned and light walks. Chad Johnson is signed to a one year deal similar to moss's. Matt Roth is signed and TBC is cut after training camp. this mock also assumess BB is BB and trades left and right. 17(1). trade down to later in the 1 st picking up another 3 rd round pick  ~20-30. Mikel Leshoure, RB, (Illinois) 28(1). Gabe Carimi, OL, (Wisconsin) 6’7 ″ , 325 or Nate Solder OT (Colorado) 6-9, 305 33(2)traded down to later in the 2 nd and pick up another 3rd in a vastly over inflated market which there are alot of bidders with a night to think about their 2nd round pick.   ~40. Muhammad Wilkerson (DE/DT) Temple 60(2). Brooks Reed OLB/DE (Arizona) 74(3). (trade into a 2012 2 nd round pick if mankins is resigned if not select) Ben Ijalana OG/OT (Villanova) 6’4” 320 92(3). Duenta Williams S (North Carolina) 6’1” 215 3c. (b/c of trade down of #17) Mark Herzlich OLB (Boston College) 6’4” 238 will fall due to cancer scare 3d. (trade of 33) Casey Matthews ILB (Oregon) 6’2” 235 124(4). Owen Marecic, FB/LB (Stanford) 6-1, 245 156(5). Justin Rogers, CB (Richmond) 5’10” 182 6. (Compensatory for watson) Andrew Jackson, OG/DT (fresno state) 6’5” 295 184. Jeff Maehl WR (Oregon) 6’1” 184   FA. Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio State Height: 5-11. Weight: 175. Projected 40 Time: 4.61. FA. Casey Richter, OT, McNeese State  Height: 6-6. Weight: 305. FA. Jah Reid OT, Central Florida 6'7" 315
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]Happy Saturday Boys (and Girls), I wanted to throw out my pre-combine mock.   Assuming Watt and Jordan are off the board, I could see something like this going down: ·          I’m going with assumed BPA vs. assumed need. ·          I also don’t think they make their first 3 projected picks, but trying to predict trades is harder than trying to predict who they draft. ·          I’ll project two options at each slot. 17- Cameron Heyward- DL OSU / Ryan Kerrigan- OLB Purdue 28- Kyle Rudolph- TE ND / Mike Pouncey OG/C Florida 33- Randall Cobb- WR/RB/QB/CB/KR/PR Kentucky / Aaron Williams CB Texas 60- Brooks Reed- OLB ‘Zona / Mark Herzlich OLB/ILB BC 74- John Moffitt-OG/C Wisconsin / Jarvis Jenkins DT Clemson 92- Tyler Sash- S Iowa / Andy Dalton QB TCU 4 th - Owen Marecic- FB/LB Stanford / Thomas Keiser OLB Stanford 5th- Stevan Ridley- RB LSU / Henry Hynoski FB/TE/HB Pitt 6th Greg McElroy- QB Alabama / Karl Klug DE/OLB Iowa
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

A TE at #28 is tough to take.  I like Cameron Heyward at #17, Reed at #60 and Moffit at #74.

TB

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my multiple option pre-Combine mock based on no Watt, Jordan or Quinn there at 17 with no trades. #17.  OT Anthony Costanzo or OLB Aldon Smith #28.  RB Mikel LeShoure or OT Derek Sherrod #33.  OLB Justin Houston or C/G Stefen Wisniewski #60.  DT Marvin Austin or RB Kendall Hunter #74.  C/G John Moffitt or WR Randall Cobb #92.  WR Austin Pettis or DT Jarvis Jenkins The rest I don't care for now.

There is good depth at the 3-4 DE position in this draft.  I hope we can get one stud DE in the first two rounds.  After the Maroney debacle, I am very nervous of us drafting another RB in the first round.  Guys like Adrian Foster and James Stark were undrafted or drafted very late.

TB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]J.J Watt Scouting Report http://nfldraftgeek.com/watt
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sending along. that is quite a highlight reel. After watching that, I feel even more strongly that we need to acquire Watt, even if it means we move up from 17 to a position to do so. DE's that size don't come along very often, and although there are other good DE's in this draft, I haven't seen anyone with the same size and skill set as Watt. I think Heyward comes the closest at 6'5", 288, but even that is an inch and 12lbs short. Plus Heyward pulled a Houdini for most of this past year, while Watt was clearly visible.

Where is the most likely place to grab Watt in this draft? Does he make it past Dallas at 9, and if so, who stands between 9 and 17 that we need to consider possibly taking him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet

Watched some tape of JJ Watt............no brainer if he falls to 17. Maybe not as athletic as Heyward or Jordan but his height gets him knock downs from QB and he is responsible for some turnovers.

Non stop motor. Would you trade up a few places for him?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would trade 17 and 74 to move up to 12/13 place. 17 and 60 would get us into the 11th spot. The only team ahead of 11 I would worry about is both 9 Dallas and 10 Washington. I think we would need to make the trade with Dallas at 9 to have any chance of grabbing Watt. So, it would take our 17 and 60 plus 1 of our later round picks to even it all out...maybe more....Is that too rich? Damn Raiders!

So, if we were aggressive here is what the first 3 rounds might look like....
    9 - Watt
    28 - Houston
    33 -Wisniewski
    74 - Moffitt
    92 - Pettis

Thoughts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I know I have 2 guards at 33 and 74.....messed up...

Therefore, please replace Wisnewski at 33 with Leshoure.
    Revised

9 - Watt
    28- Houston
    33 - Leshoure
    74 - Moffitt
    92 - Pettis

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The following is my last bit of work before the combine.

Players in black are current rostered players.

Players in RED are mostly players NE drafted but are no longer with the team for varied reasons. Also a couple noteworthy FA's that are no longer here.

Players in Blue are 2011 draft eligible players we have mentioned in some form or another on this thread.

The DAG is the players individual talent grade in and of itself. The grade has no bearing on position or year in which the player came out. It's a pure talent grade. The talent grade is one sites "opinion", not law and obviously not 100% accurate just like ANY talent evaluator.

NA = Not Applicable meaning the site only started doing grades in 2007 and no data is available.

NR = The player was drafted during the years in which grades were being given but was not even on the sites radar as to garner enough attention to merit a grade at all.

It does give you something to think about  when evaluating the overall talent level NE has at a given position regardless of number of players or age.

When doing your mocks you should consider whether a player you are mocking at a draft slot is really going to make the team at all. It might be a position with plenty of talent and you would need to draft a player VERY high to make the team. Also bear in mind drafting someone for a position that would have a have only a slightly higher grade than the young talent that is already at the position. Are you really ready to cut ties with a 1st or 2nd year player that has proven he can play?

Finally, a few defensive players are listed under different positions than they played in college as to represent where most project them to play in a 3-4 defense.

Have fun with it!

PLAYER              RND         DAG

Centers
    Dan Koppen          5th         NA
    Ryan Wendel         UDFA        NR
    Ted Larsen          6th         55
    Jake Ingram         6th         NR
    Stefen Weisnewski               85
    Jake Kirkpatrick                64
    Brandon Fusco                   53

Guards
    Logan Mankins       1st         NA
    Stephen Neil        UDFA        NA
    Dan Connolly        NA
    Rich Ohrnberger     4th         NR
    Mike Elgin          7th         NR
    Ben Ijalana                     87
    Mike Pouncey                    87
    Danny Watkins                   86
    John Moffit                     78
    Clint Boling                    60

Tackles
    Sebastian Vollmer   2nd         78
    Nick Kaczur         3rd         NA
    Mark LeVoir         UDFA        NA
    Thomas Welch        7th         45
    George Bussey       5th         NR
    Clint Oldenburg     5th         NR
    Corey Hilliard      6th         40
    Tyron Smith                     90
    Derek Sherrod                   89
    Gabe Carimi                     88
    Anthony Castonzo                87
    Nate Solder                     77
    Jason Pinkston                  79

Tight Ends
    Alge Crumpler       2nd         NA
    Rob Gronkowski      2nd         91
    Aaron Hernandez     4th         77
    Dan Graham          1st         NA
    Ben Watson          1st         NA
    Dave Thomas         3rd         NA
    Kyle Rudoplh                    90

Wide Receivers
    Deion Branch        2nd         NA
    Wes Welker          UDFA        NA
    Brandon Tate        3rd         63
    Julian Edelman      7th         NR
    Taylor Price        3rd         76
    Matt Slater         5th         NR
    Randy Moss
    David Givens        7th         NA
    Chad Jackson        2nd         NA
    Torrey Smith                    92
    Titus Young                     90
    Jon Baldwin                     84
    Randall Cobb                    75
    Vincent Brown                   68
    Austin Pettis                   63
    Jeremey Kerley                  53
    Leonard Hankerson               53

Quarterbacks
    Tom Brady           6th         NA
    Brian Hoyer         UDFA        56
    Zac Robinson        7th         54
    Kevin O'Connell     3rd         60
    Matt Cassell        7th         NA
    Greg McElroy                    62
    Colin Kaepernick                60

Running backs
    Ben... Green-Ellis  UDFA        NR
    Danny Woodhead      UDFA        40
    Laurence Maroney    1st         NA
    Justise Hairston    6th         NR
    Cedric Cobbs        4th         NA
    Mikel LeShoure                  91
    Ryan Williams                   88
    Delone Carter                   71
    Kendell Hunter                  70
    Derrick Locke                   69
    Daniel Thomas                   65
    Bilal Powell                    55

Nose Tackles
    Vince Wilfork       1st         NA
    Ron Brace           2nd         88
    Kyle Love           UDFA        NR
    Ted Washington
    Phil Taylor                     90
    Jerrell Powe                    73

Defensive End
    Ty Warren           1st         NA
    Mike Wright         UDFA        NA
    Myron Pryor         6th         NR
    Brandon Deaderick   7th         53
    Kade Weston         7th         45
    Darryl Richard      7th         45
    Richard Seymour     1st         NA
    Kareem Brown        4th         70
    Jarvis Green        4th         NA
    Cameron Jordan                  94
    Cameron Heyward                 92
    JJ Watt                         92
    Marcell Dareus                  92
    Christian Ballard               89
    Muhammad Wilkerson              87
    Jarvis Jenkins                  67
    Adrian Clayborn                 91

Outside Linebackers
    Jermaine Cunningham 2nd         68
    Rob Ninkovich       5th         NA
    Tully Banta-cain    7th         NA
    Shawn Crable        3rd         77
    Justin Rogers       6th         30
    Vince Redd          UDFA        50
    Justin Houston                  89           
    Robert Quinn                    92
    Ryan Kerigan                    90
    Akeem Ayers                     90
    Von Miller                      91
    Brooks Reed                     74
    Sam Acho                        80
    Jeremy Beal                     64
    Aldon Smith                     87

Inside Linebackers
    Jerod Mayo          1st         88
    Brandon Spikes      2nd         68
    Gary Guyton         UDFA        67
    Dane Fletcher       UDFA        45
    Tyrone McKenzie     3rd         80
    Bo Ruud             6th         NR
    Oscar Lua           7th         35
    Martez Wilson                   89
    Mark Herzlich                   86
    Kelvin Sheppard                 70
    KJ Wright                       65

Safeties
    Brandon Meriweather 1st         83
    Patrick Chung       2nd         82
    James Sanders       4th         NA
    Rodney Harrison
    Eugene Wilson       2nd         NA
    Quinton Carter                  78
    Robert Sands                    76
    Tyler Sash                      72
    Ahmand Black                    68

Cornerbacks
    Devin McCourtey     1st         91
    Leigh Bodden        UDFA        NA
    Darius Butler       2nd         89
    Kyle Arrington      UDFA        NR
    Johnathan Wilhite   4th         52
    Terrence Wheatley   2nd         77
    Mike Richardson     6th         NR
    Asante Samuel       4th         NA
    Ellis Hobbs         3rd         NA
    Davon House                     84
    Chimdi Chekwa                   74
    Justin Rodgers                  68
    Ras-I Dowling                   64

Punter
    Zoltan Mesko        5th         50

kicker
    Stephen Gostkowski  4th         NA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet, that's a good draft. After looking at the the tackles a couple more times, I think Carimi stands out the most to me. He could be an option @17.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]
    I like Carimi too but I think he might be better suited to play RT and move Vollmer to LT.  Carimi would be a great locker room guy and team mate.  It would be even cooler if we also got Moffitt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Thanks for sending along. that is quite a highlight reel. After watching that, I feel even more strongly that we need to acquire Watt, even if it means we move up from 17 to a position to do so. DE's that size don't come along very often, and although there are other good DE's in this draft, I haven't seen anyone with the same size and skill set as Watt. I think Heyward comes the closest at 6'5", 288, but even that is an inch and 12lbs short. Plus Heyward pulled a Houdini for most of this past year, while Watt was clearly visible. Where is the most likely place to grab Watt in this draft? Does he make it past Dallas at 9, and if so, who stands between 9 and 17 that we need to consider possibly taking him?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    Watt is scheme diverse so we have to worry about any team needing a DE.  Teams needing DEs are 1. CAR, 2. DEN, 3. BUF, 4. CIN, 6. CLE, 9. DAL, 10. WAS, 12. MIN, and 16. JAX.

I think the 43 teams will gobble up Bowers and Quinn.  They are CAR, CIN and MIN.  Quinn could also go to a 34 team needing OLBs like 5. ARI, 6. CLE, 7. SF.  Somewhere in their Fairley and Dareus will get taken.  Some teams might prefer the quicker Jordan over Watt.  I think the biggest worry right now is JAX at 16.  We may want to leap frog them to get Watt at 15 by trading with MIA.  MIA will likely go RB and they are the first team with a high need at RB.  JAX is ZERO threat to take a RB so for them to move back 2 spots and gain a pick should be a no brainer unless of course, they don't want us getting our player.  It would cost us flipping our 92 for their 5th or something.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I am very happy the draft is broken up over 3 days! Should make things more interesting.  I am sure the teams like it that way!  I do feel a little bad for some players that have to wait...... that would drive me crazy.

2011 NFL DRAFT

Rd. 1: Thursday, April 28
    Rds. 2-3: Friday, April 29
    Rds. 4-7: Saturday, April 30

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Good stuff Low.  I definitely have a few disagreements with some of those current rankings but let's compare another site.  They only grade out their top 32 but they have some of the same players.

SCOUTS INC.'S TOP 32

PlayerPos.SchoolGrade
    1. Da'Quan Bowers*DEClemson97
    2. Nick FairleyDTAuburn97
    3. Patrick Peterson*CBLSU97
    4. A.J. Green*WRGeorgia97
    5. Von MillerOLBTexas A&M97
    6. Blaine Gabbert*QBMissouri96
    7. Marcell Dareus*DTAlabama96
    8. Prince AmukamaraCBNebraska96
    9. Robert Quinn*DEN. Carolina95
    10. Jimmy SmithCBColorado95
    11. Corey Liuget*DTIllinois94
    12. Nate SolderOTColorado94
    13. Julio Jones*WRAlabama94
    14. Tyron Smith*OTUSC93
    15. Adrian ClaybornDEIowa93
    16. Aldon Smith*DEMissouri92
    17. Gabe CarimiOTWisconsin92
    18. Cameron JordanDECalifornia92
    19. Akeem Ayers*OLBUCLA92
    20. Mark Ingram*RBAlabama92
    21. Mike PounceyCFlorida91
    22. Muhammad Wilkerson*DETemple91
    23. J.J. Watt*DEWisconsin90
    24. Ryan KerriganDEPurdue90
    25. Anthony CastonzoOTBoston Coll90
    26. Jake LockerQBWashington90
    27. Justin Houston*OLBGeorgia90
    28. Cam Newton*QBAuburn89
    29. Randall CobbWRKentucky89
    30. Cameron HeywardDEOhio State89
    31. Rahim Moore*SUCLA88
    32. Phil TaylorDTBaylor88

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I know I have 2 guards at 33 and 74.....messed up... Therefore, please replace Wisnewski at 33 with Leshoure. Revised 9 - Watt 28- Houston 33 - Leshoure 74 - Moffitt 92 - Pettis
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    We can't get to 9 with pick 60.  Pick 17 is worth 950 points and pick 60 is worth 300 points.  This gets us to pick 11, 1250 points.  We'd need another 100 points which we don't have unless we use 33.  I think our best option is to hope Watt slides past MIN and use pick 92 to jump ahead of JAX otherwise we stay put and draft a stud LT.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If Tyron Smith weighs in at or above 300 lbs and if he's a solid 6-5+ he would be a very interesting option.  The kid just turned 20 on Dec 12 so he will certainly put on another 10-15 lbs.  It would be nice to sign Light to a 1 year extension and give Smith a year to learn.  Although Smith played mostly RT at USC, he has natural LT skills and athleticism. 

The problem I see with us taking any OL type in the first round is that BB doesn't have a track record of doing it even when he has the need.  He took Light and Vollmer in the 2nd and although he took Mankins at 32 he did so probably because he couldn't trade down and he didn't have another pick that year until pick 84 where he took Hobbs.  This year BB's draft is loaded.  I think he would take Watt at 17 if he's there but he could just as easily trade down if he thinks his young DL will be better with Warren coming back and another year of experience.

If we again look at BB's first round draft choices and high 2nds (because sometimes he didn't have a first) he tended to favor DL having used 5 high picks since 2001; Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Hill, Brace.  But lately he's been focused on the 2nd and 3rd level of the Defense.  Since 2008 he's drafted in the first two rounds, LB (3), CB (3), DL (1), S (1), OT (1) and TE (1).

I studied all of BB's picks since coming to NE and while some of the above trends on the surface seem revealing, they don't tell the whole story because BB has draft each position fairly equally based on the number of roster spots usually devoted to each position.  The most revealing thing I found is the BB drafts for need, especially with his high picks as much as any team.

So, the major question I have is how does BB view his recent picks especially on Defense?  Because defense was our weakness and especially at the 2nd and 3rd levels, does he address those areas again considering he's spent 3 picks at LB and 4 at DB in the past 3 drafts?  He's spent 5 premium picks on DB if we go back one more year and include Meriweather.  This is where I differ with a lot of you on here.  I'm 50/50 thinking BB won't do as much on defense since our D is an average of 25 years old with 12 contributors being 25 or less. 

BB's offense is aging fast, especially on the OL and at QB.  RB was also old but I think he builds upon the 2 young guys and lets the others, Morris, Faulk and Taylor walk.  I know we need a better pass rush and I know we need to address Safety soon but I'm not as sure as some of you seem to be that he will take DL and rush 34 OLB with 2 of our top 4 picks as many (including myself) have mocked.

I already pointed out that Warren replaces Warren.  If we keep G Warren, we have to cut someone on the DL.  If we draft a DE like Watt, we have to cut another player on the DL.  Normally we keep 6 on the DL, 7 max.  We aren't going to cut Wilfork or Ty Warren (unless his hip is really bad), so those two are safe.  These leaves young Deaderick (24), Brace (24), Pryor (25) and Wright (29).  If we include Kyle Love (24) who saw decent playing time we are already at 7 assuming G Warren won't be back.  Now, if Deaderick who was a 7th round pick and was benched is deemed a problem child, he could be expendable with little loss.  Love was a F/A so no major loss there.  Pryor was a 6th round pick and plays the 3 technique.  Wright was our sack leader last year even though he missed half the season with a concussion.  At 29 Wright carries a $2.6MM cap figure and assuming cap rules return would cost us $1.8MM to cut.  Wright is versatile and can play nose or end so that would seem to be valuable.  Brace was a high 2nd so I would think him safe.  So, if we were to draft Watt for instance, I would think Deaderick or Love would be toast.

We have roster space for a 4th OLB so we could draft there without cutting anyone.  This is why I think we could go OLB and perhaps DL but I'm less convinced DL will be a priority.  I think OT, C/G, RB and to some extent WR would be priorities.  I would not rule out us taking 2 RBs if we don't land one in Free Agency.

To conclude I think with our 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, assuming we use them all, we will spend 2 on Defense and 4 on Offense.  If I were calling the shots, yes I'd take Watt or Jordan if there at 17, otherwise, I'm going OT, RB, OLB, C/OG then look to fill the other positions. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Hey whats up guys! Now that were inching closer to the nfl combine, i wanted to post 5 under the radar players who in my opinion are goin to have headline type of performances in this years combine. 1. Martez Wilson - I think he is going to have a great combine. He should run in the 4.5's, has great size 6'4 250, long arms. I think hes goin to excel in all of the coverage drills. With the league turning into a nickel-league, i think linebackers like Martez Wilson become even more valuable. I dont think its a coinsidence that the best nickel defense in the league happened to have won the super bowl.(packers) 2. Tyron Smith - Hes fallen a little under the radar due to other offensive tackles showcasing their skills at the senior bowl. But Smith will have a chance to unleash his elite athleticism at the combine. I think scouts will be impressed with his physique, quick feet, and overall athleticism. He will have a Eugene Monroe type of combine. 3. Jimmy Smith - Many people have him as the 3rd or 4th best corner in this years draft. He has generated some buzz with the combination of his size and his shutdown ability he displayed in the pass-happy big 12. But he only had like 20 balls thrown his way this past season, he hasnt really flashed his ball skills yet, and people are curious about his speed and fluidity in his hips. I expect him to test well in all of the above questions remaining, i think he might leap Amukamara in alot of peoples draft boards after his combine performance. 4. Jake Locker - Granted his stock has been falling as of late, but i see him performing really well in the combine. He is a good athlete, has a cannon, and if he can showcase some accuracy improvements, i see him climbing back into the 1st round mock drafts after the combine. Many people have penciled him in as a 2nd round pick recently, i think his combine will make people think twice about that. 5. Titus Young -His speed (4.3 range) combined with his crisp route running and solid hands, will have analysts comparing him to Desean Jackson and Mike Wallace. Thoughts? anybody else have some combine predictions?
    Posted by Patsfan24-7[/QUOTE]
    I agree with all your sleepers except Locker.  Any team that takes Locker in the first round will have a busted draft.  Yes, Locker is athletic and has a rocket arm.  The problem is his decision making and accuracy.  Those things are tough to coach up.  His mid to low 50s completion percentage tells the story. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Good stuff Low.  I definitely have a few disagreements with some of those current rankings but let's compare another site.  They only grade out their top 32 but they have some of the same players. SCOUTS INC.'S TOP 32 Player Position. School Grade 1. Da'Quan Bowers * DE Clemson 97 2. Nick Fairley DT Auburn 97 3. Patrick Peterson * CB LSU 97 4. A.J. Green * WR Georgia 97 5. Von Miller OLB Texas A&M 97 6. Blaine Gabbert * QB Missouri 96 7. Marcell Dareus * DT Alabama 96 8. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska 96 9. Robert Quinn * DE N. Carolina 95 10. Jimmy Smith CB Colorado 95 11. Corey Liuget * DT Illinois 94 12. Nate Solder OT Colorado 94 13. Julio Jones * WR Alabama 94 14. Tyron Smith * OT USC 93 15. Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa 93 16. Aldon Smith * DE Missouri 92 17. Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin 92 18. Cameron Jordan DE California 92 19. Akeem Ayers * OLB UCLA 92 20. Mark Ingram * RB Alabama 92 21. Mike Pouncey C Florida 91 22. Muhammad Wilkerson * DE Temple 91 23. J.J. Watt * DE Wisconsin 90 24. Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue 90 25. Anthony Castonzo OT Boston Coll 90 26. Jake Locker QB Washington 90 27. Justin Houston * OLB Georgia 90 28. Cam Newton * QB Auburn 89 29. Randall Cobb WR Kentucky 89 30. Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State 89 31. Rahim Moore * S UCLA 88 32. Phil Taylor DT Baylor 88

That info is cool and all but the idea of my post is to use a single source, scouts inc or whomever, and show how plays grade out at a position by that single source to show a fairly reasonable likely hood of if a player will make the team or what impact they will have.

My posts point was not about comparing grades across evaluators. We all already know that will vary greatly.

I know Scouts inc has has some people come and go so I am not sure who is doing the evals if its always the same person etc. Draft Ace pretty much has always been a one man band until recently but i believe the evals are still being done by the same kid or guy. His accuracy is less relevant than his consistency of "how" he grades.

If his grades are to the low or high side are irrelevant as long as they are consistent across all players and positions as to what he is looking for. I believe that to be the case with them.

As I have stated many times, I do NOT think they are anymore accurate in determining talent than anyone else. I simply like that fact that it is a single source of consistency to go back through 2007 to see a players grade coming out.

Let's look at the cobb kid at WR. If you look at DRaft Ace grades you would say he doesn't seem much different than tate or price so why waste the pick and give up on 2 young kids you just picks in that are only getting better. If you look at the Scouts inc grade you would say oh no he's a huge upgrade if you compared Scouts grade to old Draft Aces grades of Tate and Price but you can't do that. Maybe Scouts inc had much higher grades on Tate and Price coming out than Draft Ace did. It has to be apples to apples.

If you look at a single source and realise its not an absolute as far as accuracy but a generalization, and more importantly a consitent view, then some things come to light.

As it stands right now NE don't have much at offensive tackle. They have Vollmer but not sure anyone really knows just how good he can actually play left tackle yet. Sure the sample was nice but that's no real proof yet. Everyone has him in the hof already and a guaranteed shutdown LT. I say not so fast just yet. Let's see him play a couple full seasons there before we have any real opinion. You got Kaczur which will be nice IF his back is ok. Backs are really tricky. After that an undrafted guy. Taking a top guy this year would seem to really be an upgrade if you land the right guy. IF is the question as even the top guys come with risk as they have never played a down in the NFL.

Look at the DE spot. A very good player coming back from Hip surgery and its great IF he returns to form. Early indications are he is doing very well. Let's hope. After that? Brace made strides forward but is he really playing out of position at DE in a 3-4? Who do you have after that? Bunch of 6th, 7th, and undrafted guys. Status of Wrights concussion issues unknown. Pryor with another tricky back problem. You would think a number of options here would be upgrades for the Patriots.

TE you are set unless you want to move on from Crump. The only one who would likely supplant him would be Rudoplh so you would have to use a very high pick on him and it appears NE has more urgent vacancies and lack of talent at other positions. I just don't see them carrying 4 TE's.

Guard would be seem to be a problem potentially moving forward but not really for this coming year. Mankins franchised, Neil and connolly under contact. All three guys started and isn't Ohrnberger under contract still as well? Not sure how highly they think of him but he is an incumbent backup. Doesn't seem like "have to have" position "this" year.

Center, based on the past two draft and rumors would seem to be a position they are looking at. Eric Wood 2 years ago and Pouncey last year. Probably a center/guard type. Koppen has been a find as a 5th rounder, contract and age coming up and Wendell being considered a very solid backup but not the guy you want starting for you.

I personally do NOT think we need any WR's. The Pats scored 30+ points in the final 8 games of the season. I would rather Brady get off his binkies. If anyone still buys the old "Brady's fav receiver is the open one" you are watching different games than me. Brady can be ridiculously stubborn. You have 3 good young WR's waiting in the wings and I am not even certain yet that they don't have a guy who can play in Jenkins on the practice squad. Are there a handful of guys who are certainly better than what we have yes. Do you want to waste a high pick to get one of them when comparing the needs elsewhere on the team? No! Some are probably wondering how Hankerson, based on the senior bowl, can have such a low grade. Draft Ace is not the only source where i have read that his college game tape does not match the senior bowl performace. The grades are off a players collegiate careers. If anyone remembers Mardy Gilyard had a similar senior bowl game as Hankerson last year. Gilyard had 6 catches for 63 yards this season for the Rams.

At running back NE has 2 undrafted guy so you would think even mid round guys have an opportunity to make it and contribute without even going for a top guy. if anyone ever mentions a guy with character concerns on here we all generally remove that player from the discussion for the most part. Why not LeShoure? He supposedly has a ton of character issues. NE could bring back Taylor, or look at Rickly Williams, Michael Bush, DeAngelo Williams, Pierre Thomas, etc. Plenty of ways they can go. Not sure you need to risk a high pick on a running back. Certainly not one with character issues. Also if you go look at Illinois stats each year going back through 2006 LeShoures numbers are not as impressive as Mendenhalls and LeSHoure had years where Illinois had more weapons then when Mendenhall was there so other teams couldn't just focus on him as they could mendenhall. Just look at last years NFL rushing leaders and where they were drafted or not drafted at all.

The all import OLB spot has a real lack of "talent" according to the grading and there are a slew of options even in to later rounds that might be upgrades. This is certainly looking like a year in which BB once again tries to address this position. Possibly still not as high as everyone is thinking due to the difficulty and projecting the position so we'll see how it all plays out. There are some players that have me really wondering though. Kerrigan is one. I love his character and motor and there is no denying his consistent production. The fact that he wasn't more dominant in one-on-one drills at the senior bowl is troubling for me however. In general I expect a defensive player to be at advantage in a one-on-one drill as he's not being chipped from a TE or RB and does not have to worry about inside help from a guard on an inside spin move. The defensive player should win more one-on-one battles with no one to either side of the blocker for support.

The safety spot like the running back spot has some good options that they could resign from there own team or FA's like Weddle, Manning, or huff. This years safety draft class is considered weak as a whole so not sure how much a later round guy will contribute or if he'll make the team. ...depending on what they do in free agency.

Looking at the talent pool again of the cornerback group leaves me less than thrilled and I have to assume the Pats are at least a lil bit steamed that Butler has played so poorly considering his talent level and high draft position. He's soft. Seeing another one taken in that 3rd to 4th round range would not surprise me.

Well that's just my 2 cents... so I'm sticking to it ;-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Justin Houston Scouting Report

Position:  Defensive Line/Linebacker

http://nfldraftgeek.com/jhouston.html