2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

Source is SI.com...Jim Trotter....

A homegrown talent who might be the nicest and most beloved player in the program's rich history, Locker was as cool as the rain that fell outside the Huskies' indoor practice facility. He completed 38 of 40 passes, showed excellent arm strength, was poised in the make-believe pocket and had no balls hit the ground when throwing off rollouts and bootlegs.

When it was over, the several dozen scouts and coaches in attendance were generous with their praise. However, they also were quick to pump the brakes when it came to reading too much into the afternoon.

"We know it's scripted and rehearsed, so the guy should perform well -- he shouldn't miss any throws," said Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. "Sam Bradford [last year's No. 1 pick] missed one on his pro day; Jake missed two. But the throws he missed on where impressive because it was good to see him bomb the ball 65 yards down the field. I'd say he had a very successful day."

Not saying I like the guy, but more favorable reviews could lead someone to reach, giving us more options.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/03/31/jake-locker/index.html#ixzz1ICgznETF

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You may have to reconsider your source. The majority of guys on NFL Network were not so impressed. Apparently most passes were inside the numbers and the only two long passes attempted were incomplete. 2nd round talent, at best.
    Posted by teegee[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Makes sense to me, think 28 and 33 are dealt.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81efc85e/article/early-draft-picks-qb-demand-give-belichick-free-reign?module=Draft_CP

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Yeah, I saw this too. Interesting and can't say I agree to much with it. First off, I think Wilkerson at 17 is much too high. Probably about 10-15 spots too high. However, if Watt and Jordan are taken off the board before 17, I think guys like Wilkerson and Heyward move up a bit because beyond 17, you have San Diego at 18 that could use a DE, the Jets of course sitting at 30, annd possibly 2 teams sprinkled in the middle. Maybe this is enough to push his value up a bit. Costanzo at 28 I wouldn't have a problem with, especially given the fact that Dante worked him out and knows what he is about. If they feel he can play RT, or G, I'm for it. Bailey at 33 I think is way too high. I think he squeaks into round 2, but for the life of me, I cannot see him picked at the top of round 2. Best bet is if they want him, is just to trade out of 33 down into the mid 40's or 50's and get him there. I personally don't want to use 33 as I see it as basically a 1st round pick, on a guy that is going to be project and unsure he can play standing up effectively. He has the physical tools ala Gholston, but his technique is raw at best. He might be able to make an immediate contribution in a pass rushing roll, but any sustained contribution this year won't happen. Therefore 33 is way to high for this kid.just my opinion.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

PL,
    I'd have to disagree.  He's not a guarantee for the top 20, but being a legit 34 DE prospect alone will elevate him on some boards.  Personally, I don't think 17 is at all out of the question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]If nothing falls to us at 17 in terms of what BB wants for DE/OLB wouldn't it make sense to trade this pick to a team that wants a QB who drafted another position ahead of us (Tenn/Wash/Zona/Buf)?  I wouldn't mind making two trades to get 2 picks in the first round next year.  Considering the lockout is going to keep these teams with new QBs from practicing you're talking about probably getting a very high pick next year.  I think that there's enough OL depth in the second round and beyond that we don't need to use a first rounder on that position.  If there is no DE that BB feels is going to excel in our system we already have enough depth on our roster that we don't need just another big body.  For OLB we may be able to find a guy in the second Reed/Acho/Sheard.  It may be possible to trade both firsts and still leave the draft with: 33. Sheard/Heyward/Reed/Ballard 60. Hudson/Watkins/Wisneiwski 74. Carpenter/Ijalana 92. Chris Carter/Romeus I know people want more out of this draft, but if the talent BB wants isn't there this is still a good haul for a normal draft and then next year it's a bonanza in the first round with three picks with two probably being pretty high.  The other thing I didn't factor in here is that the 17 would probably net us another third or fourth round selection this year so we would probably be able to select a running back in that mix above.
    Posted by paularnold[/QUOTE]

I know your idea is not going to be popular with most of us if not all wanting high impact, quality players, however, I think your idea has a ton of merit should we want to enter the Luck sweepstakes. Sitting there next year with 3 1st rounders gives us flexibility to do anything we want, including going to number 1 and grabbing luck as if you say a crappy team returns to that spot and already has a QB from this year' draft.
    On the flip side, I got to think crappy teams that are more than a few players away from sniffing .500, know this, and would in turn perhaps use their high 1st this year to grab one of Dareus, Peterson, Miller, Green, etc. Really anything but a QB, and hope that next year they are in position to grab Luck. OR, trade their 1st this year for a 1st next year plus a 1st or 2nd this year.
    Personally speaking, if I'm the Carolina GM sittng pretty at #1, I might pick up the phone, call BB and say, "How about we give you our #1 pick this year, for your 28 this year plus your #1 next or #33 this year...."...

IF you were BB would you make that deal? Give Carolina 28 and 33, or 28 and our 1st next year to go up to the #1 position this year? Carolina with 2 1sts next year for example could trade up if they are not the crappiest of crappy teams this year and still land Luck after taking a solid talent at 17 this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : PL, I'd have to disagree.  He's not a guarantee for the top 20, but being a legit 34 DE prospect alone will elevate him on some boards.  Personally, I don't think 17 is at all out of the question.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Wilkerson would be an excellent choice at 17 if he is still on the board.  He actually played 3-4 DE and has the perfect combination of height, weight, speed and one of the longest wingspan.  He did not have much talent surrounding him at Temple but still delivered.  Played with a high motor too.

Let's hope teams ahead of us do their parts taking off the boards risky suspects like Quinn, Bowers, Fairley, T Smith, A Smith and Newton and leaving us to choose from solid prospects like Wilkerson, Clayborn, Kerrigan, Jordan, and Castonzo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : PL, I'd have to disagree.  He's not a guarantee for the top 20, but being a legit 34 DE prospect alone will elevate him on some boards.  Personally, I don't think 17 is at all out of the question.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

You are probably right in that he could really go almost anywhere in the 1st.

What's your latest on him? I thought I saw something you wrote where you mocked him to the Pats.
    A lot of us had concerns given he was a small school kid, and tended to rack up this stats against inferior teams.
    Reading the article Pats7393 sent over on him, perhaps he should be in consideration at 17. For that matter, so should PTaylor. I think the character stuff on Taylor is in the past, with his weight issues too.
    Pick 17 could get real interesting, especially if we have to consider these 2 in combination with everyone else discussed here.

On the secret squirrel stuff....Clayborn to me is looking like a potential option to play 3-4OLB given his recent weigh in. 6'4", 278 or whatever he is now is still large, but acceptable if you consider AD was 6'2", 270 or so.
    Do you think he can do it based on what you've seen of him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Hope no one minds but wanted to share the BB "D@&$ he's a genious" moment while I was looking at the Jets picks and their team holes.  If BB was a stock broker, he might be the richest man alive trading all day! lol 

Team needs/unanswered questions due to FA, so to me teams who leave most holes to be address in FA when it happens will have to pay premium as there will be a number of teams who did not address holes during the draft and will need to do so in FA.  Jets will just not have enough $$ to keep all their FAs.  Do not really have a ton of ammo to move too much in the draft unless they start giving up 2012 picks:
    Defense
    NT
    DE
    2x OLB pass rusher
    CB (Cromartie FA)
    MLB upgrade
    S
    DT subpackages interior rusher

O
    WR possible 2 to 3, all starters are FAs
    RT
    2x OG
    TE depth after Keller

Here's the blog report I saw, and they say they have 6 picks and to the Jets that's a lot.  So the Pats 6th pick is #92 the Jets 2nd pick is #94, Jets 6th pick is #207. 

The Jets didn't receive any compensatory picks last week (no surprise), leaving them with six picks in the upcoming draft. For them, that's a lot. The last time the Jets selected six players in one draft was 2008 -- Vernon Gholston, Dustin Keller, Dwight Lowery, Erik Ainge, Marcus Henry and Nate Garner.

Here's a breakdown of this year's picks:

Round 1 (No. 30 overall)
    Round 2 (No. 29, No. 61 overall) -- No pick, traded to Chargers for Antonio Cromartie
    Round 3 (No. 30, No. 94 overall)
    Round 4 (No. 29, No. 126 overall)
    Round 5 (No. 30, No. 161 overall)
    Round 6 (No. 29, No. 194 overall)
    Round 7 (No. 5, No. 207) -- Acquired from Cards in Kerry Rhodes trade
    Round 7 (No. 30, 230) -- No pick. Belongs to 49ers, through Lions, from Kevin O'Connell trade

So anyways why all this, IN BB I TRUST!  Great to be a Pats fan, oh so good to kick them jerks a$$3$.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You are probably right in that he could really go almost anywhere in the 1st. What's your latest on him? I thought I saw something you wrote where you mocked him to the Pats. A lot of us had concerns given he was a small school kid, and tended to rack up this stats against inferior teams. Reading the article Pats7393 sent over on him, perhaps he should be in consideration at 17. For that matter, so should PTaylor. I think the character stuff on Taylor is in the past, with his weight issues too. Pick 17 could get real interesting, especially if we have to consider these 2 in combination with everyone else discussed here. On the secret squirrel stuff....Clayborn to me is looking like a potential option to play 3-4OLB given his recent weigh in. 6'4", 278 or whatever he is now is still large, but acceptable if you consider AD was 6'2", 270 or so. Do you think he can do it based on what you've seen of him?

On Clayborn, when I watch him on tape:

*He has a adequate/good first step.

*Good motor.

*He moves really well laterally for his size (confirmed with the 3rd fastest SS (7.13) of ALL DE's/OLB's tested at the combine) and can string plays out to the sideline.

*He's instinctive with good read/react and can quickly locate/crash down on the football, he also has good strength at the POA with the ability to stack and shed.  Elite potential as a run defender, IMO.

*He uses his hands extremely well and has the ability to beat his man off the edge or collapse the pocket via bull rush to make plays behind the LOS.

If he can get down to the 270 range a la Willie and Adalius, I think he could be a dominant Elephant OLB in their scheme.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Makes sense to me, think 28 and 33 are dealt. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81efc85e/article/early-draft-picks-qb-demand-give-belichick-free-reign?module=Draft_CP
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

If teams want QB's they will overpay and if they do and the value is there I wouldn't mind trading out. Think about this with next years picks in limbo they could actually get more picks/better picks then they would normally get because of the gamble

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You are probably right in that he could really go almost anywhere in the 1st. What's your latest on him? I thought I saw something you wrote where you mocked him to the Pats. A lot of us had concerns given he was a small school kid, and tended to rack up this stats against inferior teams. Reading the article Pats7393 sent over on him, perhaps he should be in consideration at 17. For that matter, so should PTaylor. I think the character stuff on Taylor is in the past, with his weight issues too. Pick 17 could get real interesting, especially if we have to consider these 2 in combination with everyone else discussed here. On the secret squirrel stuff....Clayborn to me is looking like a potential option to play 3-4OLB given his recent weigh in. 6'4", 278 or whatever he is now is still large, but acceptable if you consider AD was 6'2", 270 or so. Do you think he can do it based on what you've seen of him?

For a day or two Faucet had me questioning my believe on Wilkerson but I can't get away from this kid.

The more I read the more I think he's the 17th pick, if the Pats want him it has to be at 17.  I think Watt and Jordan are gone by 17, the Chargers will go DE. 

I'm really hopping Taylor lands in KC, don't want the Jets to land him.  They need (one of their biggest needs) a NT, would be great if they had to begin their season with a 3rd rnd talent at NT. 
    Also read the Jets might try to trade up to get Kerrigan, now they have 30th and 94 that might get them into the low 20s so don't think that will happen.  I don't think they can jump the Chiefs for Taylor either.

So Wilkerson at 17, Taylor who I think will do go in interviews goes to the Chiefs at 21.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : If teams want QB's they will overpay and if they do and the value is there I wouldn't mind trading out. Think about this with next years picks in limbo they could actually get more picks/better picks then they would normally get because of the gamble
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

That could very well be, I think the bigger impact on how many picks the Pats can get back for 28 and 33 is FA.

Teams will not be able to fix holes with FAs, that means they have to think for now the draft if where they need to fill that hole.  So a team might not even be looking for a QB might be a DL/OL/WR, what ever position they feel is their weakness and they see a player slip or they rank high and is still there at 28 then they go for it.

Free agency will be a bidding war!  A lot of teams will not be able to fill every hole through the draft when FA starts teams will through cash out to sign players.  The Jets with all their FAs are in trouble, oh so good!  They will be bidding with the likes of Washington, Dallas, Seattle and other teams who do not mind spending money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tarpinian is a kid who's been mentioned a couple times on this thread, special teams anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCLA8tZJz4&feature=related

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Finally caught up and have to say you all are throwing out every mock imaginable to see what sticks. Some good ideas and definatly the best forum to read for info, thanks for that.

Here is my big 4 atm and of course subject to change. Now I am big trade down fan but inorder to get with the "go for it all sentiment" I would like to see if there was any possibility to get all of them. Below is the order I think they will fall off the board.

1) Ingram, sentiment is 15 to Miami so we need to move up ( maybe with St. Louis to 14? ) This is my hardest choice as I like our current RB's but if he can be special then let's do it. BB has the Tide connection so maybe a bigger comfort zone to go on and will get him over the Maroney jitters.

2) Carimi, sentiment is 21 to KC so can we persuade NY to part with 19? He is a solid choice and our future RT. We keep Mankins and this really gives us a nasty attitude on the line.

3) Clayborn, now he could make 28 but also go as high as 24. I think he can make the switch to 3-4 OLB in our scheme.

4) Heyward, anywhere from 24-33. Someone said potential Seymour 2.0, not so sure on that but solid in his own right. I think he will surprise some.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

So based on numbers we...

1) Trade 17 & 92 for.............14 and Ingram
    2) Trade 28 & 74 for.............19 and Carimi
    3) Trade 2012 1st & 60 for.....23 and Clayborn
    4) Use Our 33 .....................33 and Heyward ( or Trade up to 27 Atlanta? )

So we would have:

14) Ingram RB
    19) Carimi  RT
    23) Clayborn OLB
    33) Heyward DE
    125) ?
    159) ?
    193) ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Below was my original post a few pages ago, it's been a quiet day on the thread so hope it picks up later.  Here's a sample of what it looks like and the trades

1Car5, 34, 164AriGabbertQBSample
    2Den     
    3Buf     
    4Cin     
    5Ari1CarNewtonQBSample

Tonight to give chance for more to participate I'll post another live mock, most pro days are gone, news of Pats private workouts ect.  Difference, a lot of trade talk so I'll add trades to this live mock, that should get very interesting.  Trades, change the teams and post them to their new spot, add other rounds list the pick #s.

Will post at 6 p.m. est hope some of our west coast GMs can participate.  I will not pick the 1st pick to give chance to maybe have another look with a different player.  I still think Gabbert goes #1. 

So again 6 p.m. est live mock with trades, there should be some very interesting stuff coming out of this one.  Please make sure that if you select a player for a specific team it matches, team needs and ranking of player.  Don't think there will not be any Alualus this season.  Lets keep it going and hope it gets the GM juices going with trades.

I'm going to repost this one a few times during the day make sure as many of us are able to see it and participate.  Today maybe we do 1st round, I'll taley it all up, change all trades in the 2nd round and tomorrow we do 2nd round.  I think last one was very successful and there was a lot of new scenarios and dialog.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

So here it is, copy and paste make ur selections, trades ect.  Hope if you have a selection in mind keep it realistic, don't give the Pats #5 for 60 and 92.  Keep it close.  If you need help with point system, I gots u.

http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

I did not make the 1st selection in hopes Gabbert is not #1 and we have a different draft.  I'm sure with trades it should get interesting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

1st Round
    Assnd PickAssnd TeamTraded PicksTeam SelectingPlayerPositionPosted By
    1Car     
    2Den     
    3Buf     
    4Cin     
    5Ari     
    6Cle     
    7SF     
    8Ten     
    9Dal     
    10Was     
    11Hou     
    12Min     
    13Det     
    14StL     
    15Mia     
    16Jac     
    17NE     
    18SD     
    19NYG     
    20TB     
    21KC     
    22Ind     
    23Phi     
    24NO     
    25Sea     
    26Bal     
    27Atl     
    28NE     
    29Chi     
    30NYJ     
    31Pit     
    32GB     

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

1st Round
    1Car None Car Blaine Gabbert QB NYPatsFan12
    2Den     
    3Buf     
    4Cin     
    5Ari     
    6Cle     
    7SF     
    8Ten     
    9Dal     
    10Was     
    11Hou     
    12Min     
    13Det     
    14StL     
    15Mia     
    16Jac     
    17NE     
    18SD     
    19NYG     
    20TB     
    21KC     
    22Ind     
    23Phi     
    24NO     
    25Sea     
    26Bal     
    27Atl     
    28NE     
    29Chi     
    30NYJ     
    31Pit     
    32GB     

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

1st Round
    2Den None Den Marcell Dareus DT pats7393
    3Buf     
    4Cin     
    5Ari     
    6Cle     
    7SF     
    8Ten     
    9Dal     
    10Was     
    11Hou     
    12Min     
    13Det     
    14StL     
    15Mia     
    16Jac     
    17NE     
    18SD     
    19NYG     
    20TB     
    21KC     
    22Ind     
    23Phi     
    24NO     
    25Sea     
    26Bal     
    27Atl     
    28NE     
    29Chi     
    30NYJ     
    31Pit     
    32GB     

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

1st Round
    3Buf NoneBuf
    Cam Newton
    QB
    PatsEng
    4Cin     
    5Ari     
    6Cle     
    7SF     
    8Ten     
    9Dal     
    10Was     
    11Hou     
    12Min     
    13Det     
    14StL     
    15Mia     
    16Jac     
    17NE     
    18SD     
    19NYG     
    20TB     
    21KC     
    22Ind     
    23Phi     
    24NO     
    25Sea     
    26Bal     
    27Atl     
    28NE     
    29Chi     
    30NYJ     
    31Pit     
    32GB     

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

1st Round
    3Buf NoneBuf Cam Newton QB PatsEng
    4CinNoneCinJulio JonesWRmbeaulieu07
    5Ari     
    6Cle     
    7SF     
    8Ten     
    9Dal     
    10Was     
    11Hou     
    12Min     
    13Det     
    14StL     
    15Mia     
    16Jac     
    17NE     
    18SD     
    19NYG     
    20TB     
    21KC     
    22Ind     
    23Phi     
    24NO     
    25Sea     
    26Bal     
    27Atl     
    28NE     
    29Chi     
    30NYJ     
    31Pit     
    32GB     

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

good curve ball mb, i like the pick it

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]good curve ball mb, i like the pick it
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Thanks, PP is clearly the BPA and if FA changes and they lose Joseph, he's my guy.  As things stand today, WR looks like a huge need for this team and I personally prefer Julio to Green.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

hmmmm

I say they trade down since they can't get a QB and according to the cincy board like ours here they dispute the WR need, as cinco, jermome simpson, shipley etc are all still there.

If they want one of the top two you might be able to get one trading down a few spots if you can find a partner.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/3/24/2069294/pat-kirwan-swings-and-misses-on-bengals-draft-needs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

1st Round
    3Buf NoneBuf Cam Newton QB PatsEng
    4CinNoneCinJulio JonesWRmbeaulieu07
    5Ari None Ari Von Miller DE/OLB Low
    6Cle     
    7SF     
    8Ten