2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Ok, I'll give you mine although you didn't explicitly ask for it...but here's my latest mock without trades. I'll post another with trades in a bit. 17 /> Cam Jordan 28 /> Derrick Sherrod 33 /> Randall Cobb 60 /> Jabaal Sheard 74 /> Daniel Thomas 92 /> Clint Boling 125 /> Greg Romeus 159 /> Buster Skrine
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, I assumed you were bringing one ... the other are people who are absent for some reason so I was giving them a shout out. I think it would be odd for someone like MB or Faucet to not lock in a mock. 

I like that mock. Cobb is my second after Smith. He is actually a bit more finished IMO, but I think Smith has rare splits and speed ... he would be a game changer IMO. 

If Ne is drafting OT in the first, I would rather they spend a day2 pick and move from 28 to 20-25 to grab someone like Carimi, who is a lot more developed than Sherrod. I see Sherrod as a guy you catch on the downswing ... and I have seen a lot of him these last few seasons. 

The only guy I don't like is Sheard. I don't see a point grabbing a guy who isn't exceptional in the third ... I see better value there at some other spots like RB or OT.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Yeah man, I assumed you were bringing one ... the other are people who are absent for some reason so I was giving them a shout out. I think it would be odd for someone like MB or Faucet to not lock in a mock.  I like that mock. Cobb is my second after Smith. He is actually a bit more finished IMO, but I think Smith has rare splits and speed ... he would be a game changer IMO.  If Ne is drafting OT in the first, I would rather they spend a day2 pick and move from 28 to 20-25 to grab someone like Carimi, who is a lot more developed than Sherrod. I see Sherrod as a guy you catch on the downswing ... and I have seen a lot of him these last few seasons.  The only guy I don't like is Sheard. I don't see a point grabbing a guy who isn't exceptional in the third ... I see better value there at some other spots like RB or OT.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Scratch that... just found MB's! Apologies to MB ... of course he locked it in!

He has Kerrigan at 17 ... I love Kerrigan and he would be my alternate there. For a few reasons I think Reed is better, and NE worked him out too. But Kerrigan would make me very happy at 17. 

I think Reed could be had at about 25-28 ... but as I said ... 17 isn't too rich for my blood at all. He reminds me of a stouter Matthews. Totally devastating first step ....

Where is Faucet's?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
    3. Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    4. Cincinnati Bengals: AJ Green, WR, Georgia
    5. Arizona Cardinals: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    6. Cleveland Browns: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    7. San Francisco 49ers: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    9. Dallas Cowboys traded to the Patriots: Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
    10. Washington Redskins: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
    11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara CB, Nebraska
    12. Minnesota Vikings: Cameron Jordan, DL, California
    13. Detroit Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, Southern California
    14. St. Louis Rams: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    15. Miami Dolphins: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
    16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue
    17. Dallas Cowboys (from pats): Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    18. San Diego Chargers: J.J. Watt DE, Wisconsin
    19. New York Giants: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    21. Kansas City Chiefs: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    22. Indianapolis Colts: , Nate Solder OT, Colorado
    23. Philadelphia Eagles: Danny Watkins OT, Baylor
    24. New Orleans Saints:Daquan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker, QB Washington
    26. Baltimore Ravens: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St
    27. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Rudolph, TE Notre Dame
    28. New England Patriots traded to the Titans: Andy Dalton QB, TCU
    29. Chicago Bears: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
    30. New York Jets: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
    31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    32. Green Bay Packers: Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona

comments?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : I was in this thread earlier. The monster threads tend to get redundant. Most people (including myself) really just keep saying the same things, and have their "guys" locked in ... so I saved myself time, lol. I have been in and out of other threads that were more topic specific.  I'll post mine. I'm going by the old "Faucetman" rules, where we assume zero trades -- maybe I'll post a second "trade" mock.  I'm interested in seeing some final mocks here. Specifically from Faucet and MBeaulieu. I haven't seen Faucet, but always like to read his stuff, and MB has posted a bunch of stacks, but I would like to read what he thinks NE does when the chips are down. 

Can't go against Faucet's rules lol, hard to do though.  Players at 28 and 33 will not be there when they trade down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Teams will be able to sign UDFAs!  Big for a few teams including the Pats.  Sounds like also will be able to aquire FAs as soon as Friday.  I imagine they are talking to Light right now, give him their best offer take it or leave it.  They will know if they have their starting tackle by 1st pick of the draft? maybe, hope so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6442393

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Can't go against Faucet's rules lol, hard to do though.  Players at 28 and 33 will not be there when they trade down.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Yeah we worked them out a few year's back. I think it is a good exercise in knowing the board. 

If Ne trades I see them trading 17 down for someone like Brooks Reed, and maybe trading 28 up to grab someone like Carimi. Or vice versa. Another option would be bringing 28 down into the second for a first next year if some desperate team wants a QB. 

Trading into the top ten sounds unlikely, but would give access to another tier of players like Fairley, Jones, Quinn, and possibly Peterson. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Teams will be able to sign UDFAs!  Big for a few teams including the Pats.  Sounds like also will be able to aquire FAs as soon as Friday. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6442393

Thanks for passing the link along. I think it said the NFL was publishing rules on FA tomorrow. That means to me that it could happen as soon as tomorrow or weeks from now. At least this is the way I read it, unless the courts step back in...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Could the Pats actually trade up for Dareus????

Interesting reports right now here's how it's looking

#1 Car Cam Newton - no surprise here
    #2 Den Von Miller - little bit of a shock but he seems to have grown on Den
    #3 Buf Gabbert - Here is one we all thought Buf might go QB but it's slowly coming out that they are really looking hard at Gabbert
    #4 Cin AJ Green - Everyone knows this will happen
    #5 Ari Patrick Peterson - if Miller and Green are gone most think Peterson goes to Ari

that means that at #6 the pick the Pats have been inquiring about Dareus might be available. Question becomes would you trade #17 and #33 for Dareus?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Thanks for passing the link along. I think it said the NFL was publishing rules on FA tomorrow. That means to me that it could happen as soon as tomorrow or weeks from now. At least this is the way I read it, unless the courts step back in...

Said players can start to work tomorrow and then the league will send out which rules the league year will be operating under Friday.
    This also says to me, they might be operating under 2010 rules.  No way BB trades up and pays those type of salaries.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f8862b/article/agents-gms-preparing-as-if-league-year-could-start-monday?module=HP_headlines

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Could the Pats actually trade up for Dareus???? Interesting reports right now here's how it's looking #1 Car Cam Newton - no surprise here #2 Den Von Miller - little bit of a shock but he seems to have grown on Den #3 Buf Gabbert - Here is one we all thought Buf might go QB but it's slowly coming out that they are really looking hard at Gabbert #4 Cin AJ Green - Everyone knows this will happen #5 Ari Patrick Peterson - if Miller and Green are gone most think Peterson goes to Ari that means that at #6 the pick the Pats have been inquiring about Dareus might be available. Question becomes would you trade #17 and #33 for Dareus?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

That is certainly an interesting mock and would throw his name in the hat. If Carolina drafts Newton 1st overall, they deserve all the failure it brings ,lol.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Said players can start to work tomorrow and then the league will send out which rules the league year will be operating under Friday. This also says to me, they might be operating under 2010 rules.  No way BB trades up and pays those type of salaries. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f8862b/article/agents-gms-preparing-as-if-league-year-could-start-monday?module=HP_headlines

Salaries won't be settled for some time. Rookies have months to work out their contracts. You could move up gambling that there is a rookie cap on the other end. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I guess there's a reason i'm not a GM, if I was carolina's GM I would pass on Newton start building this year and know my chances to have the #1 overall pick next season are very good.  next season i have Luck. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Could the Pats actually trade up for Dareus???? Interesting reports right now here's how it's looking #1 Car Cam Newton - no surprise here #2 Den Von Miller - little bit of a shock but he seems to have grown on Den #3 Buf Gabbert - Here is one we all thought Buf might go QB but it's slowly coming out that they are really looking hard at Gabbert #4 Cin AJ Green - Everyone knows this will happen #5 Ari Patrick Peterson - if Miller and Green are gone most think Peterson goes to Ari that means that at #6 the pick the Pats have been inquiring about Dareus might be available. Question becomes would you trade #17 and #33 for Dareus?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

The Question..."17 & 33 for Dareus at #6?"....Depends on what we can do with 28. If we can get a deal in place with San Diego for their 2 2nds, I would do it. I am OK with Dareus at 6, and then 50, 60 and 61 in round 2 if we could do that. OR of course, work on the framework of #28 trade with other teams, at least picking up another 2nd and 3rd this year, maybe a 3rd next..I'm sure there are tons of combinations based on the team.

ZB since you are back on, what's your take on Dareus? I'm sure  you got to see him play a ton this year, and most of what I have seen on him is sporadic or on tape.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Salaries won't be settled for some time. Rookies have months  to work out their contracts. You could move up gambling that there is a rookie cap on the other end. 

Not if FAs will be allow to sign, they will need to put rules in place.  A cap no cap ect will need to be known. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mort is at it....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/28/mort-patriots-trying-to-trade-up-for-cameron-jordan/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

it must be a smokescreen. jordan to the pats with the team's current philosophy on defense just does not make sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]it must be a smokescreen. jordan to the pats with the team's current philosophy on defense just does not make sense.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

I like Cam Jordan and think he fts here perfectly. But I agree with you its gotta be a smokescreen, to obvious and I dont think they need to trade up to get him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : The Question..."17 & 33 for Dareus at #6?"....Depends on what we can do with 28. If we can get a deal in place with San Diego for their 2 2nds, I would do it. I am OK with Dareus at 6, and then 50, 60 and 61 in round 2 if we could do that. OR of course, work on the framework of #28 trade with other teams, at least picking up another 2nd and 3rd this year, maybe a 3rd next..I'm sure there are tons of combinations based on the team. ZB since you are back on, what's your take on Dareus? I'm sure  you got to see him play a ton this year, and most of what I have seen on him is sporadic or on tape.

Darreus is awesome. I wonder how he would do in 34 ... he gets spent sometimes, at least from what I've seen. I think he is a great swing prospect and a monster 43 UT prospect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]it must be a smokescreen. jordan to the pats with the team's current philosophy on defense just does not make sense.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

I like him as a selection. But not as a trade up. He is too similar to Watt. One of them could be had at 17 without moving up. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree ZB. Is he worth 17 and 33?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I agree ZB. Is he worth 17 and 33?

No way in heck. I have him on my board about equal to Watt. And I'm not sure I don't take Brooks Reed over him. I have Reed slotted lower because I think he can be had lower. But in a world with a gun to my head, I actually like Reed better as a prospect. 

You just (usually) pay more for size on the front seven ... all other things beign equal. A 6'4.5 290 pounder with 4.71 speed is quite rare.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMan. Show RonMan's posts

I have not posted often, but for months I have been consistent in what I believe will happen in the next two days.  BB will draft three quality offensive linemen who will develop together as a group and two defensive linemen who may be possible conversion OLBs.  We also will end up with at least two #1s (and maybe 3) and two #2s in 2012 that will be used to package to draft Andrew Luck as Brady's replacement.  I do not envision moving up at all.  Moving back in the current year and moving into the next year has been BB's tendency for many years and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
    I have been a Pat's fan since the Babe Parilli years.  I want to thank all of the posters on this thread for the knowledge and enjoyment it has provided me this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from geek. Show geek's posts

Thanks for all the entertainment.  I've read every post, embarassed to say, though I haven't posted myself.  I don't know anything about college football.  Totally impressive group of analysts here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I dont think 17 and 33 is anything BB will do. The points add up about equal but 33 is worth more than the point chart says. Some GM with all night to think about that player he has to have first thing round 2

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : No way in heck. I have him on my board about equal to Watt. And I'm not sure I don't take Brooks Reed over him. I have Reed slotted lower because I think he can be had lower. But in a world with a gun to my head, I actually like Reed better as a prospect.  You just (usually) pay more for size on the front seven ... all other things beign equal. A 6'4.5 290 pounder with 4.71 speed is quite rare.

Wow..about equal to Watt? I don't know if that's giving Watt too much credit or Dareus not enough? I personally think Dareus is the best DL coming out this year. Not by a long shot, but better than the rest of the group.

Reconsidering, I probably wouldn't trade the farm for Dareus. Now if he was Suh and we had the ammo to do it, yes, I would move up to #6. But he ain't Suh.

What concerns me about Dareus is his experience as well. he played in a 3-4, but he doesn't have a ton of starts to his credit. not sure why exactly, but his numbers are not stand out in my mind. sure 3-4 DE has different responsibilities than Watt did at 4-3 DE, but I would have expected a bit more from a top 5 player, and one most consider the best DL in this draft.

Sections
Shortcuts