2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : "N ate Solder  - In my eyes the best tackle prospect in the draft, huge at 6'8" 320 pounds with the best vertical and shuttle time at his position, 2nd best 40 time and played against solid competition.  Needs to get a little stronger but a bench press is little indicator of total body strength..." My pre draft quote from my "Wozzy's draft guide for Pats fans" thread.  I saw excellent mobility first of all and all around athleticism.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

thanks wozzy.
    whats this draft guide you speak of?
    link?
    peace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Since we took Solder ahead of Carimi ect.. it should be because he was better than them. Nobody here is a better talent evaluator of O-line than BB and Dante, so to pine for another OT makes little sense.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

"so to pine for another OT makes little sense."

thats a little harsh. you dont think its ok to say if we went  o line i would have expected someone else?

this is sports. "oohs" and "ahhs", "boos" and "yeahs" IS what is it's all about.

"Since we took Solder ahead of Carimi ect.. it should be because he was better than them."

i would guess the same. still there is nothing wrong with expressing surprise or regret.

peace

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Yeah, but our pass protection is no where are weak as our pass rush.  Fix what's broken. 
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]

hey expert,
     bb may be teling us our o line is about to be broken worse if we dont get some good lineman.

peace

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Did the 2nd rd picks last year greatly improve us?  I think so.  I would take a draft like last year every year if I could.  And I think it improved us, yes we lost so did NO and they were the champs...and to seattle, that is pain.  If we get my OLB, Sheard I am pretty happy, moffit too and a project later like carter, romeus or herzlich
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

outside of sheard, i like all of those. havent seen him play enough to know

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you! They would use the picks if they thought there was good value there. These people aren't stupid. They went 14-2 last year remember... In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

"They would use the picks if they thought there was good value there. These people aren't stupid. They went 14-2 last year remember..."

yes good points . no matter what's running in our head. must remember.
    (back of mind, "still, we screw up a lot with. our picks too").  try to push that down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : thanks wozzy. whats this draft guide you speak of? link? peace
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

The "draft guide" is a thread I started for kicks and titled it "Wozzy's draft guide for Pats fans" and it can be found on the front burner of this site.  I thought OT and DE were priority picks for the Pats given the age and exodus of so many linemen.  I believe that we can resign Light if Mankins bolts and shift him over to guard if need be, or we can go with the young guards we already have and be just fine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]At the risk of saying I told you so, I told you so.  BB operates from a long term and "team based" perspective.  If we have three number 1s next year, regardless of where they are, and Carolina has one year into a rookie quarterback that they have to support, do you think that Carolina will take three number 1s for their first round pick (or anyone else who is foundering with their terrible QB picks from 2011).  Be prepared to watch BB trade #33 this year for another #1 next year and a #2 this year or next.  Andrew Luck is the target. The remainder of this draft will be two-three offensive linemen who can develop cammeraderie with Solder, two defensive linemen who may be able to convert to outside linebacker and a running back in round three or four. 
    Posted by RonMan[/QUOTE]

that wouldnt be bad if the d is consitently pressuring the qb. i also was on the luck pick as a possible strtategy with my initial post jet game analysis.

but are you saying this whole strategy is soley to get luck. thats a big gamble, when we may have won the supoer bowl this year 2011 with 2 top studs (still might, but..)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : sorry but I too see too much Whine here.  Yes dont insult girls.  But people need to realize BB knows way more than we do, that is why he gets paid the big bucks.  Many complained about Cunningham last year, I thought he was solid against both run and pass.  THAT is what I want, not a 1 trick pony.

" But people need to realize BB knows way more than we do, that is why he gets paid the big bucks.  "

agreed, and most of us sharing our displeasure, if we do, aslo agree.
    thanks for reminding us.
    still, sports.
    boos, yeahs, acceptable  part of the game.

cunningham definitely a solid player. yes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

As someone said here, Parcells talked about Solder on his show the other night as a solid O Line choice.  At the time I was surprised he mentioned him over C and C...but I trust his and BB's opinions.  BB said key to this draft was front 7 choices, so I guess we have to be patient and wait for tomorrow.  Lots of ammunition to spend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Zeb, nice to see you here.  Haven't seen you here in a while.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]bb isn't perfect. rex ryan is a pretty good defensive evaluator last time i checked, he had no problem taking wilkerson. the steelers have won a couple lombardi trophies recently and own one of the top defenses... they had no problem taking can heyward. bb must feel real good about his current rotation of d-lineman b/c there are no more 5-techniques worth mentioning.
    Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

all good observations.
    no "top tier" de's.
    there emay be more good de's, esp injured ones down below.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]And the Pack take Brooks Reed and have thirty sacks between two players ... NE has five sacks all next season.  Seriously I get it. Just venting. NE thinks they have their guy in the second, and picked up a first for next season.  Too bad it is going to be #32, because the aggressive moves NO is making puts them as SB favorites imo.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

was thinking same thing as i watched.
    one of sb favorites anyway and their pick we get might be 31 or 32.
    i was not excited.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : "so to pine for another OT makes little sense." thats a little harsh. you dont think its ok to say if we went  o line i would have expected someone else? this is sports. "oohs" and "ahhs", "boos" and "yeahs" IS what is it's all about. "Since we took Solder ahead of Carimi ect.. it should be because he was better than them." i would guess the same. still there is nothing wrong with expressing surprise or regret. peace
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Brdbreu,

As fans I expect we have are favorite players and can be disapointed when things didn't fall as we hoped. I am. Maybe pined was a bad choice in words.

What I took from the post I responded to was anger at the management for being stupid. What I was trying to say is none of us are in the position to say the Pats choice was stupid. If we agree that we needed an OT then we have to think the Pats made the informed and correct choice when they selected Solder given that choice was made despite the availability of others in question.

I would expect some "Boos" because maybe your an Alum of another school, a relative, just like the way another OT plays the game. This is being upset that things didn't go as you hoped, NOT a blanket belief that management are idiots without real justification.

Sorry if I took more from it than was intended.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

rockdog,

"And I've been on this site a lot longer than you. A whole three months on the board and you're pulling senority?!? That's smart. Why don't you go run away after the traumatic events of tonight and become a Jets fan. they'll make the sexy pic"k

good observation. i've been on this thread three months and i've absorbed and maintained the culture and etiquette of self respect and respect of other's opninons that i found here. do you think you might be able to do the same?

(by the way, the word seniority or "i've done this or that more than you", never came from my mouth [or computer]. you must be attributing to me what someone else said.)

"And what's with your need to play armchair psychologist? Do message boards upset you that much? "

i have a brain and intelligence and i use it. further, this particular thread, if you read it, is not about name calling and personal attacks (that i see on other threads), but the sharing of DIVERSE opinions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Yeah, but our pass protection is no where are weak as our pass rush.  Fix what's broken. 
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]

2007 Brady sacked 5 times in superbowl loss

2010 Brady sacked 3 times in playoff loss

2011 Brady sacked 5 times in playoff loss

1) Neal retired
    2) Mankins PO'd and willing to NOT sign Franchise TAG right away
    3) Light FA and NO guarantee of return at economical price

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I don't think we need to agree with BB's choices but we have to be rational enough to understand there atleast has to be a solid argument to be made for his side. Dante I have faith in on selecting Oline. 

Now if we had Al Davis running things......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Another thought on Solder. As solid as Matt Light has been, he has had trouble with speed off the edge and can require TE help to keep his man at bay.  Putting an athletic kid like Solder or Vollmer out there could help minimize the need for TE help on the outside, thus freeing said TE up to become a more integral part of the passing offense (i.e. run patterns and catch passes).  Decreasing the amount of blockers needed increases the amount of options for Brady thus providing more offensive flexibility.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I understand that the Pats worked him out, but if the youtubes are any indication, the current Solder is not close to what Light can do against speed guys. Try to look for the youtube where they play against Cal.

As I said earlier, though, only BB ca see what he can mold the kid into.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I understand that the Pats worked him out, but if the youtubes are any indication, the current Solder is not close to what Light can do against speed guys. Try to look for the youtube where they play against Cal. As I said earlier, though, only BB ca see what he can mold the kid into.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I agree, that game against Cal was scary. Didn't look it up who he went against but the guy looked 5'11 225lbs and burn't him bad.

I hope that might be an exception in the NFL as that one player was able to get so low on him and he might go against some bigger edge rushers in the NFL while also working on his technique to get down and into there pads.

My "hope" is that the issues in Solders game are the coachable type where once he is trained on the proper technique he will "get it". You also are able to see on film some of the things Solder can do that the other OT's can not. I think the biggest skill he has is his ability to pull fast and hard. This guy has amazing lateral quickness for a man his size and I think that is coveted in the Pat's scheme.

That quickness may be an uncoachable thing you either have or you don't. Probably what gave him an edge over Carimi and Castonzo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Brdbreu, As fans I expect we have are favorite players and can be disapointed when things didn't fall as we hoped. I am. Maybe pined was a bad choice in words. What I took from the post I responded to was anger at the management for being stupid. What I was trying to say is none of us are in the position to say the Pats choice was stupid. If we agree that we needed an OT then we have to think the Pats made the informed and correct choice when they selected Solder given that choice was made despite the availability of others in question. I would expect some "Boos" because maybe your an Alum of another school, a relative, just like the way another OT plays the game. This is being upset that things didn't go as you hoped, NOT a blanket belief that management are idiots without real justification. Sorry if I took more from it than was intended.

jesus christobal!
    reasonableness on this thread today!
    a shocker.

thanks asher.

ok. everyone is coming down from disappointments of today; and "how dare you criticize my team" (not pointing any fingers, if that sounds close) on the board. we dont need to throttle one another however.

saying oh my god, bb is an idiot, is an emotional reaction, just like those who attack someone for making a criticism. it is emotional. however we dont need to actually attack people even when we have emotions. just to notice them and if we wish, to express them in a non-violent manner.

this is also called being "reactionary" (speaking from impulsive opposing emotions), which other than not being beneficial at at all to anyone,  is short-sighted ie opposite of deliberating and speaking from wisdom and experience (aka the long view or the reasoned opinion). once in a while doing so about an event is ok.  being reactionary about people or just unceasingly, in general, is not such a healthy trait.

so anguish or defense of events of today, understandable.
    sports are for entertainment. for enjoyment and expressing of our emotions.
    lets let each other do that. we dont need to attack others in response.
    ever had a hard day, week, month, year. instead of kicking the cat/dog expressing emotion, frustration at something other than a person is a healthy place to get this out. lets not take that away from people.  following sports is all about the emotions, the catharsis.

peace

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think we need to agree with BB's choices but we have to be rational enough to understand there atleast has to be a solid argument to be made for his side. Dante I have faith in on selecting Oline.  Now if we had Al Davis running things......

"I don't think we need to agree with BB's choices but we have to be rational enough to understand there atleast has to be a solid argument to be made for his side. Dante I have faith in on selecting Oline. "

agreed and totally reasonable!

Now if we had Al Davis running things......"

now that would be unreasonable!

thanks asher

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I agree, that game against Cal was scary. Didn't look it up who he went against but the guy looked 5'11 225lbs and burn't him bad. I hope that might be an exception in the NFL as that one player was able to get so low on him and he might go against some bigger edge rushers in the NFL while also working on his technique to get down and into there pads. My "hope" is that the issues in Solders game are the coachable type where once he is trained on the proper technique he will "get it". You also are able to see on film some of the things Solder can do that the other OT's can not. I think the biggest skill he has is his ability to pull fast and hard. This guy has amazing lateral quickness for a man his size and I think that is coveted in the Pat's scheme. That quickness may be an uncoachable thing you either have or you don't. Probably what gave him an edge over Carimi and Castonzo

"That quickness may be an uncoachable thing you either have or you don't. Probably what gave him an edge over Carimi and Castonzo"

i would love it if they exposed their thinking at some time about that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymc727. Show mattymc727's posts

The pats love the screen pass.....Solder has the speed to get out there for plays like that. I think that was a huge factor in why they chose his size and quickness over the others

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

[QUOTE]I've been lurking these forums for a solid two years and figured I'd finally join. I found this on another website. Apparently in Belichick's interview with CSN, they videographer displayed a large section of the Pat's draft board, including names and grades. Figured this would help posters figure out what players could be targeted tomorrow. QB - you couldn't see the top of the list, but I assume it was Gabbert. After that: Locker - 8.something (not on screen) Newton - 7.990 Mallett - 7.712 Dalton - 7.185 Ponder - 6.709 Enderle - 5.936 McElroy - 5.571 Devlin - 5.578 OG Watkins - can't see the score Boling - 7.645 Moffit - 6.856 Cannon - 6.762 Carpenter - 6.546 Franklin - 6.227 Jackson - 6.012 Buren - 5.815 Schlauderaf - 5.627 Rackley - 5.549 Arkin - 5.531 Hurd - 5.039 Schilling - 5.013 C Pouncey - 8.132 Hudson - 7.642 Wisnewski - 6.337 O'Dowd - 5.894 Beeler - 5.367 Pugh - 5.367 McMahon - 5.633 (higher than previous 2) Kowolski - 5.548 OT Solder - 8.481 T Smith - 8.344 Carimi - 8.281 Costonzo - 8.067 Ijalana - 7.811 Sherrod - 7.614 Love - 6.088 Ziemba - 5.991 Hairston - 5.654 Pinkston - 5.433 Reid - 5.538 DE Dareus - 8.652 Quinn - 8.519 Jordan - 8.494 Clayborn - 8.301 Watt - 8.243 Wilkerson - 8.176 Heyward - 7.937 Bailey - 6.978 Sheard - 6.193 Reed - 6.134 Matthews - 5.542 Allen - 5.531 McPhee - 5.038 Klug - 4.227 NT Taylor - 7.814 Austin - 6.859 Jenkins - 5.832 Neild - 5.448 DT (the scores were off the screen, so I just have the order) Fairley - Aub Liuget - UIl Siliga - Utah Ballard - Iowa Casey - USC Ajiboye - SCar Nevis - LSU Guy - AzSt Larimore - SCar McClaine - SFla Parker - Richmond Taylor - Okla Thornton - Ark St WR Green - 8.782 Jones - 8.419 T Smith - 7.978 Cobb - 7.936 V Brown - 6.077 (SDSt) Little - 6.032 Doss - 6.015 Paul - 5.938 Young - 5.815 Toliver - 5.772 Hankerson - 5.732 Salas - 5.517 TE - couldn't see the top of the board, assume it's Randolph Stocker - 7.327 Kendricks - 6.859 Williams - 6.056 Dial - 5.906 Gantt - 5.618 Saunders - 5.589 Green - 5.390 Housler - 5.314 Jordan Cameron - 5.131 FB Marecic - couldn't see his score Hughes - 5.537 Cooper - 5.315 Havili - 5.216 Chapas - 5.082 Houston - 5.045 Morse - 4.876 Sims - 4.317 Sherman - 4.236 The board didn't display the LB's, DB's, or RB's unfortunately.  Based on these numbers, I'd say it's a pretty good indicator that the Pats may be looking at either Smith or Cobb as their first pick in the second (assuming it isn't traded), along with Boling, Hudson, or any of the LB's or RB's whose draft grades we couldn't see later on in the second.
    Posted by JMUFranco[/QUOTE]
    Wow! Nice work. I can't believe the Pats would allow the boards in the back ground. So far, it looks legit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : 2007 Brady sacked 5 times in superbowl loss 2010 Brady sacked 3 times in playoff loss 2011 Brady sacked 5 times in playoff loss 1) Neal retired 2) Mankins PO'd and willing to NOT sign Franchise TAG right away 3) Light FA and NO guarantee of return at economical price
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

No question. OL is a major issue for the Pats especially if Light, Mankins and Kacsur all leave on top of Neal's retirement. I would have liked Solder or either of the C's as wellfor an area of huge need.

But this is just as important:

2007 Super Bowl Loss    3 sacks
    2010 Playoff Loss           0 sacks
    2011 Playoff Loss           0 sacks

The ability to get to the passer is just as big of an issue for this team, which is why people are upset that it was not addressed in the first round with a potential playmaker. I'm sure that BB has a definite plan for the second round; I just hope he can pull it off if he moves from 33 and "his guy" is still there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Did the 2nd rd picks last year greatly improve us?  I think so.  I would take a draft like last year every year if I could.  And I think it improved us, yes we lost so did NO and they were the champs...and to seattle, that is pain.  If we get my OLB, Sheard I am pretty happy, moffit too and a project later like carter, romeus or herzlich

Spikes is a good 2 down player but is he an impact player like Mayo?

Cunningham is a solid OLB but is he an impact OLB?

Gronk, however, is an impact TE so that has worked out.

Most of the time in the 2nd you find solid players that improve your team but are not IMPACT playmakers and that's what this front 7 is missing. The last 3 playoff games we've had 0 sacks on QB's with a handful of pressures between the last 3 games. Solid players are great when you have a Willie Mac, Seymour, or Bruschi on the team but when you don't have an impact player they are just that solid players