2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1

I depend upon you for these things.  Your draft thread is one of the better things on this board.

Size wise he looks good but how's his speed?  I had to look him up and he doesn't seem to be too much of a secret out there.  He is being looked at hard.  If he keeps those numbers up he'll be up there like Graham was this past year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

mbeaulieu07>>>big respect for your draft/player knowledge. I'm interested in your take on this time of year...all the player cuts, resigns, practice squad etc.  Anyone still out there we could use.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

MB,

Good to see you posting up here again...Was wondering when you were going to start on the 2011 draft class.

I like Kerrigan too, but in round 2 unless he really develops over the course of the year. A lot of said they want Ingram with one of our 1sts, but I'm leaning heavily toward taking the best 3-4 DE on the board with the Raiders pick, and possibly Kerrigan with one of our 2nds. 

Seems like the last 2-3 drafts have been defensive heavy in rounds 1-2, would like to see a bit more balance next time out. Big question mark will be Moss, our OL and RB situation. All needs heading into next year for sure. 

2 positions I want to see drafted on D are DE and OLB. Like us to take them in rounds 1-2. DE's I like that perhaps could covert to OLB or play 3-4 DE are;
    - Cameron Heyward (good size, could gain another 15 lbs)
    - Marcell Dareus (plays for Bama in their 3-4)...good size/weight combo
    - Robert Quinn (a bit light for a 3-4 DE, but possibly a OLB convert) Like his speed.
    - Allen Baily (same as Quinn...does he have the speed to play OLB?...)
    - Akeem Ayers (3-4 OLB)..nice size..need to watch him more this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:
    [QUOTE]I depend upon you for these things.  Your draft thread is one of the better things on this board. Size wise he looks good but how's his speed?  I had to look him up and he doesn't seem to be too much of a secret out there.  He is being looked at hard.  If he keeps those numbers up he'll be up there like Graham was this past year. 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Garytx,
    Glad to help!  I've seen him listed in the 4.7-4.8 range, though we'll still have to wait to see how his splits look; the first 10 yards are what's important to a potential edge rusher.  He looked explosive to me vs. ND and the scouting reports I've read seem to validate that noting his good power & burst off the edge. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mbeaulieu07 />>>big respect for your draft/player knowledge. I'm interested in your take on this time of year...all the player cuts, resigns, practice squad etc.  Anyone still out there we could use.
    Posted by HRK103[/QUOTE]

HRK103,
    Thanks, man!  I enjoy the draft/off season transactions almost as much as the regular season.  As for what's been going down lately, I do have some concerns on the lack of depth/talent at OLB and I'd still like to see them acquire someone at the OLB position though that would likely have to come via trade as I don't see much on the open market.  I also don't see them having much in the form of tradeable assets (outside of draft slots), so that situation remains a big question.  On the positive side, they must be high on Cunningham (a player I was high on coming out of Florida) considering he hasn't played at all in the pre-season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB, Good to see you posting up here again...Was wondering when you were going to start on the 2011 draft class. I like Kerrigan too, but in round 2 unless he really develops over the course of the year. A lot of said they want Ingram with one of our 1sts, but I'm leaning heavily toward taking the best 3-4 DE on the board with the Raiders pick, and possibly Kerrigan with one of our 2nds.  Seems like the last 2-3 drafts have been defensive heavy in rounds 1-2, would like to see a bit more balance next time out. Big question mark will be Moss, our OL and RB situation. All needs heading into next year for sure.  2 positions I want to see drafted on D are DE and OLB. Like us to take them in rounds 1-2. DE's I like that perhaps could covert to OLB or play 3-4 DE are; - Cameron Heyward (good size, could gain another 15 lbs) - Marcell Dareus (plays for Bama in their 3-4)...good size/weight combo - Robert Quinn (a bit light for a 3-4 DE, but possibly a OLB convert) Like his speed. - Allen Baily (same as Quinn...does he have the speed to play OLB?...) - Akeem Ayers (3-4 OLB)..nice size..need to watch him more this season.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

PatsLifer,
    Thanks!  I'll start ramping up now that the season is about to kick off (or has kicked off on the college side). I'd agree in that I don't think they touch a RB in Rd1, let alone high in Rd 1.  Ideally, and this is still very early in the game, I'd love to see them grab both Greg Romeus (6-5 268 DE Pitt http://ubspectrumsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pittsburgh_greg_romeus1.jpg?w=300&h=284) and Kerrigan, combine them with Jermaine Cunningham and you've got yourself a huge upgrade off the edge.  They have two firsts and two seconds (here's hoping that both Carolina & Oakland bomb this season) in the upcoming draft so they'll certainly be able to land some serious talent.

As for the players you mentioned, Marcel Dareus is a guy that I'm certainly going to follow this season after watching him in the BCS National Championship game against Texas last year.  Another potential 3-4 DE to keep an eye on is Jared Crick (6-6 285) from Nebraska; it'll be interesting to see how performs now that Suh is in the league, but he looked like a potential stud last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:
    [QUOTE]As some of you know, I'm a huge draft guy and spend a lot of time during the college season researching players that fit the Patriots' player profile from a size/skill/intelligence/performance/leadership/need etc., standpoint. This week, I'd like to take a look at a potential fit at 3-4 OLB as this continues to be both a short and long term concern on the team. A player that caught my eye during week one was  Ryan Kerrigan, the (6-4 263) Senior DE from Purdue as his size, instincts, ability to get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the LOS vs. ND was evident.  He finished the day with 7 tackles (2.5 for loss, one of which resulted in a safety), a forced fumble and 1 sack.  He looked strong and explosive, with a non-stop motor and was for the most part un-blockable.  He was the team MVP for the 2009 season, is a captain in 2010 and is a two-time Big Ten All-Academic recipient. From what I've read, he's currently considered a round 1-2 talent and rising.  From what I've seen, he's certainly an option to follow during the season. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

great info. keep it coming.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i hope our 1st round pickas are for a DE/OLB and our other 2nd round pick is a offensive lineman. here's who I would take if they were available. (all round projections are from CBS draft guide)

First round

1. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State (Senior)
    Height: 6’6″ Weight: 288 Projection: 1st Round

2. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina (Junior)
    Height: 6’5″ Weight: 260 

Second round

3. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado Height: 6-9. Weight: 305    40 Time: 4.84

Extremely athletic... Good agility... Good length and long arms... Excellent speed, quick feet... Good pass blocker... Flashes the ability to play with good knee bend... Good lateral movement and slide... Good run blocker... Carries his pads well... Solid strength... Can coil up and generate reasonably good power... Does a good job staying on his blocks... Uses his hands well... Can get to the second level... Good flexibility... Breaks down well and does a nice job blocking on the move... More of a wall-off blocker than a mover... Hard worker.

4. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia Height: 5'8" weight 176

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

hey mb... good to see you reappear

to some, it may seem early to be having this discussion, but i like it. we can actually start discussing players based on what we saw watching the games, versus just looking at numbers on some site or what analysts tell us at the end of the season. i think you are the perfect poster to start this discussion, for reasons that are obvious from above posts.

anyway, you mentioned GREG ROMEUS - one of the DEs that people were raving about leading to the last draft. he just did not look impressive during the two quarters that i saw pitt play last weekend. he did not look quick enough and did not show any moves. i am not sure if i just saw him at the wrong time.

there was a player that caught my eye during the BOISE game.
    #40 Tyrone Crawford, 6-4, 275 lbs
    i have no idea what his 40 is but he looked quick. he showed a nose for the ball and some skills getting through blocks. knows how to stop the run. what i like most is he does not stop playing 'til the ball is dead. he can cover a lot of ground.

it's early and that's one game, but i really thought he could do the things willie did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : Garytx, Glad to help!  I've seen him listed in the 4.7-4.8 range, though we'll still have to wait to see how his splits look; the first 10 yards are what's important to a potential edge rusher.  He looked explosive to me vs. ND and the scouting reports I've read seem to validate that noting his good power & burst off the edge. 

My guess is from the thread we can expect a "Player Spotlight Week 2".  Good idea here.  This will give me sanctuary from the doom and gloomers or objective posters as they like to be called.  Much like this past spring actually.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb never too early to start, great pos.  Right now it looks like there will be some good options at RB, OLB and DE type players in next year's 1st and 2nd round.

Cliff Mathews DE/OLB 6'4" 262 leader of South Carolina's D, DE who can rush the passer.  Top 5 in the SEC in sacks in 09, keeps the trend to draft leaders. 

Have to mention (don't think he has) local boy Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 248.  I don't see him as the rush passer but as a TB54 type player, great instincts who can cover TEs and RBs out of the back field and what a story to keep in NE.  Will not have the sacks but will have the INTs and tackles.

Great post mb, glad we are back at draft talk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]hey mb... good to see you reappear to some, it may seem early to be having this discussion, but i like it. we can actually start discussing players based on what we saw watching the games, versus just looking at numbers on some site or what analysts tell us at the end of the season. i think you are the perfect poster to start this discussion, for reasons that are obvious from above posts. anyway, you mentioned GREG ROMEUS - one of the DEs that people were raving about leading to the last draft. he just did not look impressive during the two quarters that i saw pitt play last weekend. he did not look quick enough and did not show any moves. i am not sure if i just saw him at the wrong time. there was a player that caught my eye during the BOISE game. #40 Tyrone Crawford, 6-4, 275 lbs i have no idea what his 40 is but he looked quick. he showed a nose for the ball and some skills getting through blocks. knows how to stop the run. what i like most is he does not stop playing 'til the ball is dead. he can cover a lot of ground. it's early and that's one game, but i really thought he could do the things willie did.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

seattlepat70, thanks!

Thanks for the feedback on Romeus, I wasn't able to see him play, though he's certainly some that I'll be tracking throughout the season.

Nice find in Crawford, I did some research on him and it turns out that he's a redshirt junior who is originally from Canada (played RB and DE in HS...yes RB!....So that shows you his athleticism) and played the last year or two and a JC inCalifornia.  His DL and HC speak very highly of his size, strength and motor and while he's a bit raw, he's certainly somebody I'll add to my list.  Overall, I was very impressed with Boise State's defensive speed and tenacity, they swarm to the football.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : My guess is from the thread we can expect a "Player Spotlight Week 2".  Good idea here.  This will give me sanctuary from the doom and gloomers or objective posters as they like to be called.  Much like this past spring actually.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Ha, I'm hoping to do one weekly, but can't make any guarantees.  I'd agree that the doom and gloom has already started up and they haven't even played a regular season game yet.  Pat's fans have been spoiled and a lot of their expectations are unrealistic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mb never too early to start, great pos.  Right now it looks like there will be some good options at RB, OLB and DE type players in next year's 1st and 2nd round. Cliff Mathews DE/OLB 6'4" 262 leader of South Carolina's D, DE who can rush the passer.  Top 5 in the SEC in sacks in 09, keeps the trend to draft leaders.  Have to mention (don't think he has) local boy Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 248.  I don't see him as the rush passer but as a TB54 type player, great instincts who can cover TEs and RBs out of the back field and what a story to keep in NE.  Will not have the sacks but will have the INTs and tackles. Great post mb, glad we are back at draft talk.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Pats7393,
    Thanks!

Were you able to catch Mathews in week one? 

Being born and raised and hour west of Boston, I'm a huge fan of Herzlich and what he's been able to overcome and would love to see a player of his character and skill set stay in the NE area, kid was a potential top 10 candidate before he got sick.  I like the comparison to Bruschi as he looks like one of those kids that plays the game the right way, will be a leader on the field and is looking to make the big play (6 INT's in 2008 is impressive).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

MB,

I watched the ND-Purdue game and you're right...Kerrigan is a beast off the edge.  I think he would be an ideal fit for the Pats.  What stood out to me wasn't just the pass rush ability, but also his strength.  He looks like he should hold up well against the run at the next level and that makes him a potential every down type rather than just a reserve. 

What's your take on Von Miller from Texas A&M?  6'3 240lbs led the nation in sacks last year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : Pats7393, Thanks! Were you able to catch Mathews in week one?  Being born and raised and hour west of Boston, I'm a huge fan of Herzlich and what he's been able to overcome and would love to see a player of his character and skill set stay in the NE area, kid was a potential top 10 candidate before he got sick.  I like the comparison to Bruschi as he looks like one of those kids that plays the game the right way, will be a leader on the field and is looking to make the big play (6 INT's in 2008 is impressive).

No I wasn't able to see him play, he had a quiet game from what I've heard.  He is a known commodity now in the SEC so he will be doubled all season long which will open it up for other players.

I'm going to keep my eye on him, he is dropped into coverage in that scheme so I'll be intrigued see how he does this season in those situations.  That D is making a lot of noise in the SEC.

I don't get too many BC games in Atlanta, how is Anthony Castonzo OT playing?  that's a big ugly I wouldn't mind been taken.  I think this guy would be a nice addition to that line, takes over RT while Voll moves to left.

I'm not a big Texas DE/OLB guys, you have a lot more misses than hits but this guy Sam Acho 6'3" 260 had 4 tackles 1 sack be it was against Rice but looks the part. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB, I watched the ND-Purdue game and you're right...Kerrigan is a beast off the edge.  I think he would be an ideal fit for the Pats.  What stood out to me wasn't just the pass rush ability, but also his strength.  He looks like he should hold up well against the run at the next level and that makes him a potential every down type rather than just a reserve.  What's your take on Von Miller from Texas A&M?  6'3 240lbs led the nation in sacks last year. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

ShiningWizard,
    I agree, his size/strength and ability against the run make him an ideal 3 down player.

Miller showed a great ability to get after the QB last season leading the nation with 17 sacks (Kerrigan tied for 4th overall with 12) but what concerns me is his size.  He's listed at 6-2 243 which leads me to believe he will measure in shorter and lighter than that (as a lot of players generally are listed bigger than they are).  With that being said, I wouldn't have him on my list of potential NE targets due to his size.  While BB has no issue with acquiring players (via trade/free agency) that are shorter/lighter than ideal, he has shown no willingness to draft these types of players.  It's almost as if he wants to see them perform in the NFL level before giving them a shot. 

Texas A&M is implementing a 3-4 this year, so he'll have a year in the system, which if successful (vs. the run, in coverage and rushing the QB), might force BB to re-evaluate his size premium for the position. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : No I wasn't able to see him play, he had a quiet game from what I've heard.  He is a known commodity now in the SEC so he will be doubled all season long which will open it up for other players. I'm going to keep my eye on him, he is dropped into coverage in that scheme so I'll be intrigued see how he does this season in those situations.  That D is making a lot of noise in the SEC. I don't get too many BC games in Atlanta, how is Anthony Castonzo OT playing?  that's a big ugly I wouldn't mind been taken.  I think this guy would be a nice addition to that line, takes over RT while Voll moves to left. I'm not a big Texas DE/OLB guys, you have a lot more misses than hits but this guy Sam Acho 6'3" 260 had 4 tackles 1 sack be it was against Rice but looks the part. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I didn't see the BC game on Sat, but Castonzo is already rated as one of the top OT's in the nation.  I hope to get a couple of looks at him during the season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]i hope our 1st round pickas are for a DE/OLB and our other 2nd round pick is a offensive lineman. here's who I would take if they were available. (all round projections are from CBS draft guide) First round 1. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State (Senior) Height: 6’6″ Weight: 288 Projection: 1st Round 2. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina (Junior) Height: 6’5″ Weight: 260  Second round 3. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado Height: 6-9. Weight: 305    40 Time: 4.84 Extremely athletic... Good agility... Good length and long arms... Excellent speed, quick feet... Good pass blocker... Flashes the ability to play with good knee bend... Good lateral movement and slide... Good run blocker... Carries his pads well... Solid strength... Can coil up and generate reasonably good power... Does a good job staying on his blocks... Uses his hands well... Can get to the second level... Good flexibility... Breaks down well and does a nice job blocking on the move... More of a wall-off blocker than a mover... Hard worker. 4. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia Height: 5'8" weight 176
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

natesubs,
    Definitely 4 guys to keep an eye on, all 4 also have 1st round potential.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

not that our beloved team is looking for a qb...but newton of auburn is looking really good. kiper thinks locker of uw will be the first overall pick. i see locker play so i know what he is capable of now. i think this guy, newton, is going to compete fo that top qb spot.

6-6, 250 lbs. strong arm, nice pocket presence, great legs, decent accuracy (7/8 so far in teh first half)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats07. Show tg19pats07's posts

It is always good to read about the next group of potential Pats, loved all the draft discussions previously. Three kids under 7 makes it tough to spend alot of time watching the games but will try to tivo a few games this year. Heres hoping the pats jump out quick and give us some fun. Love gronk and spikes worried about Cunningham hope all the previous talk turns out to be true and he plays well. Can't wait for some pats football. Will follow the draft threads year round. Thhanks to all in advance for the info

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]It is always good to read about the next group of potential Pats, loved all the draft discussions previously. Three kids under 7 makes it tough to spend alot of time watching the games but will try to tivo a few games this year. Heres hoping the pats jump out quick and give us some fun. Love gronk and spikes worried about Cunningham hope all the previous talk turns out to be true and he plays well. Can't wait for some pats football. Will follow the draft threads year round. Thhanks to all in advance for the info
    Posted by tg19pats07[/QUOTE]

how do you do it? i've got one who's 7 and it's no cake walk...for me and my wife at least. kudos to you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]not that our beloved team is looking for a qb...but newton of auburn is looking really good. kiper thinks locker of uw will be the first overall pick. i see locker play so i know what he is capable of now. i think this guy, newton, is going to compete fo that top qb spot. 6-6, 250 lbs. strong arm, nice pocket presence, great legs, decent accuracy (7/8 so far in teh first half)
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Yeah, athletic kid, great size, though he's got some baggage.  Started his career at Florida but eventually transferred (2008) after getting arrested on "felony charges of buglary, larceny and obstruction of justice" for the theft of a laptop.  In 2009 he lead his JC team to the NJCAA National Championship.

Also, while they appear high on Hoyer as Brady's back up, it wouldn't suprise me at all if they drafted a QB high in the next couple years to groom as Brady's eventual successor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : Yeah, athletic kid, great size, though he's got some baggage.  Started his career at Florida but eventually transferred (2008) after getting arrested on "felony charges of buglary, larceny and obstruction of justice" for the theft of a laptop.  In 2009 he lead his JC team to the NJCAA National Championship. Also, while they appear high on Hoyer as Brady's back up, it wouldn't suprise me at all if they drafted a QB high in the next couple years to groom as Brady's eventual successor.

good to know. looks like a kid who could be kept straight by a mentor. he still might be a good candidate if he keeps himself clean for  the next year or two.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

In Response to 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:

round 1 (from oakland) adrian clayborne de iowa
    round 1 mark ingram rb alabama