2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

I like Reed, but in the first round or even 33 makes me very uncomfortable. He's a great prospect but he has the greatest transition to make of the players that could play OLB. He does not have the experience dropping into coverage and physically has the toughest transition to make. Not considering Quinn or Miller, I would put Reed behind Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Justin Houston, and Jabaal Sheard. I'm undecided on whether I put him in front of Acho or not. Mid to late 2nd round would be fine. Earlier,though, would not be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Good video on the mid round WRs

MB Charlie Casserly talks about your boy Cobb, thinks 3rd rnd Mayock says 2nd as I think most of us having.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81eeea1c/Which-receivers-will-be-draft-day-steals?module=HP_video

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Faucetman,  How and why did Von Miller's stock move up to where he is a top 7 pick? I do not think that he is a player that NE would want even at 17. My reason:  He is 6'3 - 243 lbs, so, would we want him to play OLB in our system? Ken
    Posted by kenscreen

Ken,

Miller was actually 6-3, 246 at his Combine and ran a 4.42.  Do you know how sick that is?  He's a LB with CB speed.  Miller put on 10 lbs since the start of his senior season and he can easily add another 5-10 lbs.  Did you know that Rosevelt Colvin was listed at 6-3, 250 and he was our weak side edge rusher? 

Let's look at where some of the elite edge rushers were at their combine compared to Miller.  I added Misi even though he wasn't elite.  He was, though picked by a 34 team, Miami.  I have where these guys weighed in at the Combine and where the NFL says they are today on NFL.com.  So guys will put on pounds.

2011 Von Miller 6-3, 246, 4.42
    2005 DeMarcus Ware 6-4, 251, 4.56 NFL 6-4, 262
    2006 Elvis Dumervil, 6-0, 257, 4.75  NFL 5-11, 248
    2009 Clay Matthews 6-3, 240, 4.62  NFL 6-3, 255
    2009 Brian Cushing 6-3, 243, 4.64 NFL 6-3, 260
    2010 Koa Misi, 6-3, 251, 4.75 NFL 6-3, 251

Miller is the same height as Matthews and Cushing when they came out and look how much each has put on since.  Miller's 4.42 speed blows them all away.  If Miller adds 15 lbs which is what Matthews did and less than what Cushing did he'll be 6-3, 261.  Would you have a problem with that? 

We didn't even discuss college production.  Miller will be a super star baring injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Ken, Miller was actually 6-3, 246 at his Combine and ran a 4.42.  Do you know how sick that is?  He's a LB with CB speed.  Miller put on 10 lbs since the start of his senior season and he can easily add another 5-10 lbs.  Did you know that Rosevelt Colvin was listed at 6-3, 250 and he was our weak side edge rusher?  Let's look at where some of the elite edge rushers were at their combine compared to Miller.  I added Misi even though he wasn't elite.  He was, though picked by a 34 team, Miami.  I have where these guys weighed in at the Combine and where the NFL says they are today on NFL.com.  So guys will put on pounds. 2011 Von Miller 6-3, 246, 4.42 2005 DeMarcus Ware 6-4, 251, 4.56 NFL 6-4, 262 2006 Elvis Dumervil, 6-0, 257, 4.75  NFL 5-11, 248 2009 Clay Matthews 6-3, 240, 4.62  NFL 6-3, 255 2009 Brian Cushing 6-3, 243, 4.64 NFL 6-3, 260 2010 Koa Misi, 6-3, 251, 4.75 NFL 6-3, 251 Miller is the same height as Matthews and Cushing when they came out and look how much each has put on since.  Miller's 4.42 speed blows them all away.  If Miller adds 15 lbs which is what Matthews did and less than what Cushing did he'll be 6-3, 261.  Would you have a problem with that?  We didn't even discuss college production and the argument is already over  Miller will be a super star baring injury.
    Posted by Faucetman

Yeah and there's a chance we see that super star twice a year in a Bill's uniform. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patriots weakness is at rush linebacker not De or interior linemen on the Defense. Right now the Defense consists of Warren,Warren,Stroud,Brace,Deadedrick,Wright,Fork,Weston ,Love.Thats 9 guys who play various positions on the D-line. What they are lacking is the Mike Vrabel type rushing LB. So when you make up your wish lists take that into consideration. Pouncey will be a Patriot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : He can have my share of this one lol.
    Posted by Pats7393

That's an a%%load of ham-n-bread!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Getting of the field on 3rd down is a team issue and not solely tied to the DL. And as I've stated before, 57% sub-package doesn't = not in a 34, 57% of the time, atleast not from what Reiss has been able to communicate.  It simply means they are not in their base 34 alignment 57% of the time, which would mean nickle/dime, anything.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

TY MB!!!!  I've tried to explain this over and over again that the Pats play in a 34 regardless in base or sub and tend to only switch to a 43 or sometimes even a 25 during long 3rd downs where they drop back everyone except for a spy and rush 3-4. But when I say they need a 5 tech DE or that a certian DL would be better suited for a 43 front someone points out that they are in a sub 57% of the time last year thinking they are only in a 34 43% of the time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : OK does this one work better for you. Clay Mathews 6-3 240 at the combine. Von Miller 6-3 246 at combine I think. Your Era point is valid but if you use him in the same way as a clay he's going to have the same ability. Remember we are not talking about a player necessarily for NE just one that warrants his draft stock in general.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I agree on his size and relative stock to the rest of the league, my comment was more towards his size relative to BB's preferences.

I had posted a rumor a week or so back from Wes Bunting that his sources talked about NE dropping their size requirement to target a pure speed guy off the edge, to me that grouping consists of two players in the first 3 rounds (Miller & Moch),  I found the info intriging, but took it with a grain of salt at the same time as BB only leaks info that he wants leaked, as you know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good video on the mid round WRs MB Charlie Casserly talks about your boy Cobb, thinks 3rd rnd Mayock says 2nd as I think most of us having. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81eeea1c/Which-receivers-will-be-draft-day-steals?module=HP_video
    Posted by Pats7393

Thanks for the link, Pats!

They love your boy Gates' ability.

I agree, Cobb, especially to a team like NE who's offense is predicated on short/intermediate passes where a WR is able to utilize RAC ability to pick up yardage has atleast 2nd round value, IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : TY MB!!!!  I've tried to explain this over and over again that the Pats play in a 34 regardless in base or sub and tend to only switch to a 43 or sometimes even a 25 during long 3rd downs where they drop back everyone except for a spy and rush 3-4. But when I say they need a 5 tech DE or that a certian DL would be better suited for a 43 front someone points out that they are in a sub 57% of the time last year thinking they are only in a 34 43% of the time. 
    Posted by PatsEng

Ha, no prob man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I agree on his size and relative stock to the rest of the league, my comment was more towards his size relative to BB's preferences. I had posted a rumor a week or so back from Wes Bunting that his sources talked about NE dropping their size requirement to target a pure speed guy off the edge, to me that grouping consists of two players in the first 3 rounds (Miller & Moch),  I found the info intriging, but took it with a grain of salt at the same time as BB only leaks info that he wants leaked, as you know.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Miller would be out of reach I believe, Moch I've kind of change my mind on him.  Seen some tape on him that he gets man handled on LOS.  Don't know if would be productive even just rushing the passer but in the 4th or 5th round worth a pick.

Now a guy if that's the case what you think off Chris Carter out of Fresno State?
    6'1" 248lbs 4.58 40 27! reps 6.88 3cone He could be a 3rd/4th round option as a pure speed rusher and maybe hit a homerun and he can set the edge against the run.  IMO 27 reps indicates a good amount of strength and stamina.

Doug Hogue I've mention before, 6'3" 235 lbs 4.62, he had 9 sacks in 2009 which was his 1st season on D (converted RB) only 3 sacks in 2010 but accounted for 95 tackles.

Last one promise (been looking at these guys for a while) lol
    Adrian Moten 6'2" 228 4.53 40 better coverage OLB than pass rusher but has speed to be that guy.  Has played a ton of nickle and dime in college.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Ken, Miller was actually 6-3, 246 at his Combine and ran a 4.42.  Do you know how sick that is?  He's a LB with CB speed.  Miller put on 10 lbs since the start of his senior season and he can easily add another 5-10 lbs.  Did you know that Rosevelt Colvin was listed at 6-3, 250 and he was our weak side edge rusher?  Let's look at where some of the elite edge rushers were at their combine compared to Miller.  I added Misi even though he wasn't elite.  He was, though picked by a 34 team, Miami.  I have where these guys weighed in at the Combine and where the NFL says they are today on NFL.com.  So guys will put on pounds. 2011 Von Miller 6-3, 246, 4.42 2005 DeMarcus Ware 6-4, 251, 4.56 NFL 6-4, 262 2006 Elvis Dumervil, 6-0, 257, 4.75  NFL 5-11, 248 2009 Clay Matthews 6-3, 240, 4.62  NFL 6-3, 255 2009 Brian Cushing 6-3, 243, 4.64 NFL 6-3, 260 2010 Koa Misi, 6-3, 251, 4.75 NFL 6-3, 251 Miller is the same height as Matthews and Cushing when they came out and look how much each has put on since.  Miller's 4.42 speed blows them all away.  If Miller adds 15 lbs which is what Matthews did and less than what Cushing did he'll be 6-3, 261.  Would you have a problem with that?  We didn't even discuss college production and the argument is already over  Miller will be a super star baring injury.
    Posted by Faucetman

I don't see Miller going too much higher than say 250 which should be a good playing weight for him.  No doubt the kids upside and potential to impact, I'm just not sure that BB is going to give up 2 or 3 high round picks (2 1st's and maybe a 2nd or 3rd) to go up and get him, though if they identify him as a sure impact player I wouldn't mind being wrong. 

The difference with Colvin was, he was a proven commodity at that weight, BB seems to drop his preferred measurables a bit if he knows a kid can play.

Adding some LB's is possible, just not sure that Cushing and Matthews are guys that you'd want to include in your argument, ha.

I'd love to see what some sort of scientific hair follicle testing would tell us about Both, if you know what I mean.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Finished the 7 round mock

Patriots-
    17: Cameron Jordan, DL
    21: Aldon Smith, OLB
    25: Gabe Carimi, OT
    39: Brandon Harris, CB
    43: Danny Watkins, OG
    74: Rodney Hudson, G/C
    162: Jeremy Beal, LB
    216: Jamie Harper, RB
    Traded for Pierre Thomas
    Traded away Logan Mankins, Steve Maneri, Tully Banta-Cain

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I wonder what the odds are Gabbert gets picked number one overall. Cant say it wont happen, but I'm betting it doesn't. My question, is Gabbert a franchise changer? Drafting a QB number one overall, can kill an organization for a few years. Now, Luck on the other hand is going to be something special.
    Posted by bobbysu

If I'm CAR I'm taking Dareus or Peterson.  Dareus makes more sense.  Obviously CAR doesn't have a 2nd so how much better are they going to be?  They might finish last again and get Andrew Luck next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Miller would be out of reach I believe, Moch I've kind of change my mind on him.  Seen some tape on him that he gets man handled on LOS.  Don't know if would be productive even just rushing the passer but in the 4th or 5th round worth a pick. Now a guy if that's the case what you think off Chris Carter out of Fresno State? 6'1" 248lbs 4.58 40 27! reps 6.88 3cone He could be a 3rd/4th round option as a pure speed rusher and maybe hit a homerun and he can set the edge against the run.  IMO 27 reps indicates a good amount of strength and stamina. Doug Hogue I've mention before, 6'3" 235 lbs 4.62, he had 9 sacks in 2009 which was his 1st season on D (converted RB) only 3 sacks in 2010 but accounted for 95 tackles. Last one promise (been looking at these guys for a while) lol Adrian Moten 6'2" 228 4.53 40 better coverage OLB than pass rusher but has speed to be that guy.  Has played a ton of nickle and dime in college.
    Posted by Pats7393

That's been my knock on Moch (yayy rhymes), kid can run by a lot of OT's at the college level, but hasn't shown a consistent ability to disengage when an OT gets his hands on him.  I'd be intrigued to see what the Patriots coaching staff could do with him, but yes, he's raw.

I'll have to check this Carter kid out, I know he's the kid working with Big Willie, but haven't researched him much.

The other two guys look too small to be considered, IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Rob Housler
    Can someone please make sure Patriots scouts take a look at this kid, he's become one my favorite guys to watch!
    6'5" 249 4.46 40 listed as TE but he has WR body hands and speed.  Watch him fight for yards, Florida Atlantic not a football powerhouse but I'll take a chance on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-BcNpLzZU

This video, my scouting report (video below) terrible blocker, I get that but I would not use him as a TE would be a WR.  Finds the hole in the zone against Michigan St. runs a number of different routes and linesup in a number of roles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2A03ArPPbo

If my boy Gates is not available in the 3rd I take a hard look at this kid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I don't see Miller going too much higher than say 250 which should be a good playing weight for him.  No doubt the kids upside and potential to impact, I'm just not sure that BB is going to give up 2 or 3 high round picks (2 1st's and maybe a 2nd or 3rd) to go up and get him, I wouldn't mind being wrong.  The difference with Colvin was, he was a proven commodity at that weight, BB seems to drop his preferred measurables a bit if he knows a kid can play. Adding some LB's is possible, just not sure that Cushing and Matthews are guys that you'd want to include in your argument, ha. I'd love to see what some sort of scientific hair follicle testing would tell us about Both, if you know what I mean.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

17/28 gets us to 5 or 17/33 gets us to 7.  I would not give up any more than that.  Good point on Cushing/Matthews but the juice should have worn off by now:)).

I actually thought Miller looked absolutely ripped at 246.  I think he could get to 255 without losing a beat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : That's been my knock on Moch (yayy rhymes), kid can run by a lot of OT's at the college level, but hasn't shown a consistent ability to disengage when an OT gets his hands on him.  I'd be intrigued to see what the Patriots coaching staff could do with him, but yes, he's raw. I'll have to check this Carter kid out, I know he's the kid working with Big Willie, but haven't researched him much. The other two guys look too small to be considered, IMO.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtH7_BQpAhg

below, watch him go against Wisconsin's OL in 2009 not this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVtxfRt8ok

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PChungAllDay25. Show PChungAllDay25's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtH7_BQpAhg below, watch him go against Wisconsin's OL in 2009 not this year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVtxfRt8ok
    Posted by Pats7393

Personally never heard much about this kid before but after watching those videos he definately is someone to consider hard.He bends nice around blocks and has a very quick first step also is relentless in pursuit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : 17/28 gets us to 5 or 17/33 gets us to 7.  I would not give up any more than that.  Good point on Cushing/Matthews but the juice should have worn off by now:)). I actually though Miller looked absolutely ripped at 246.  I think he could get to 255 without losing a beat.
    Posted by Faucetman

I think Miller will be a super star but I don't know about giving up that much for one player.  This is why, I really like Eric Moore now I'm not calling him Miller or think he's as talented but think Moore in a full season and solid DE play can give double digit sacks and is good against the run.  Fletcher also, he's got really good speed around that edge.  Second season maybe he improves, reacts more than he's thinking.

I would be more incline to give up a 3rd rndr and 17 to move up to get Watt.  If he's what we all think he is, he would command that double team making easier for OLBs.  I think that would be better, that means also BB still has room to move some picks and get more picks in 2010 or future picks.  Then you can still get Sheard or Houston in mid 30s (after trading 28 or 33).

I'm beginning to get over Reed, one I think he's gotten so much media a team is falling in love with the Matthews comparison and might reach for him.  I don't think he makes it to 28 so I'll be really happy with Sheard and still happy with Houston who might be the more NFL ready of the two but Sheard has a higher ceiling IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : 17/28 gets us to 5 or 17/33 gets us to 7.  I would not give up any more than that.  Good point on Cushing/Matthews but the juice should have worn off by now:)). I actually thought Miller looked absolutely ripped at 246.  I think he could get to 255 without losing a beat.
    Posted by Faucetman

Assuming the rookie salary scale is approved and implemented, the top 5-10 picks will likely be worth more than they are today as the reduced financial risk should increase their value.

You know a lot more about this stuff than me, am I misinterpreting that side of things?  Would the rookie salary cap, if approved, be implemented for this draft or is that whole thing and unknown until the CBA agreement is finalized?

Ha, shouldn't wear off when you cycle on, cycle off, Miyagi style.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

in case anyone was interested in my own lil NE specific fantasy board, here it is... You'll notice i have a handful of players playing different positions. I am always modifying it so if anyone know of any really negative things about a particular player on the list, let me know.

DE
    JJ Watt (1)
    Cameron Jordan (1)
    Muhammad Wilkerson (1-2)
    Cameron Heyward (1-2)
    Phil Taylor (1-2)
    Lawrence Guy (3)

OT
    Gabe Carimi (1)
    Anthony Castonzo (1)
    Derrick Sherrod (1-2)
    Orlando Franklin (2)
    Marcus Gilbert (3-4)

Sub Inside Pass rusher
    Allen Baily (2-3)

OG
    Danny Watkins (1-2)
    Clint Boling (2-3)
    Ben Ijalana (2)
    James Carpenter (3)
    John Moffit (3-4)
    Will Rackley (4)
    Stephen Schilling (4)
    Andrew Jackson (6-7)

WR
    Torrey Smith (1-2)
    Randall Cobb (2)
    Leonard Hankerson (2-3)
    Edmund Gates (3)
    Greg Salas (4)
    Dane Sanzenbacher (5-6)
    Jeremy Kerley (5)
    Cecil Shorts (5-6)
    Jeff Maehl (6)

OG/C
    Mike Pouncey (1-2)
    Stefen Wisniewski (2)

All-around RB (mid round)
    Shane Vereen (3)
    Kendall Hunter (2-3)
    Jordan Todman (3)

RB (Later round)
    Roy Helu (4)
    Derrick Locke (5)
    Alex Green (6)
    Owen Marecic (5-6)

TE
    Virgil Green (4)

OLB
    Justin Houston (1-2)
    Ryan Kerrigan (1-2)
    Jabaal Sheard (2)
    Brooks Reed (2)
    Sam Acho (2-3)
    Greg Romeus (4-5)

ILB
    Mark Herzlich (4-5)
    Mason Foster (3-4)

Sub Outside Pass rusher
    Martez Wilson (1-2)
    Chris Carter (3)
    Dontay Moch (3)

CB
    Curtis Brown (2)
    Davon House (2-3)
    Buster Skrine (3-4)
    Chykie Brown (3-4)
    Cortez Allen (4-5)

S
    Aaron Williams (2-3)
    Rahim Moore (2-3)
    Quinton Carter (3)
    Jaiquawn Jarrett (4-5)
    Shilo Keo (6)
    Mark LeGree (7-FA)

QB
    Greg McElroy (5)

Outside the box thinking
    Adrian Clayborn(slimmed down) as OLB (1)

It's Gonna Cost Ya
    Marcel Dareus (1)
    Von Miller (1)
    AJ Green (1)
    Julio Jones (1)
    Mark Ingram (1)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'll argue against myself taking Miller, we have a Miller-esque player on the roster now.

Gary Guyton 6-3, 245, 4.47.  I know he plays mostly in nickel sets but each year his sack production has improved.  He's started some games at OLB but before we got Spikes he played mostly inside.  Here's a snap shot of his stats.

2008 - 34 tackles, 25 solo, 0 sacks, 3 PDef
    2009 - 85 tackles, 55 solo, 1.5 sacks, 4 PDef
    2010 - 63 tackles, 44 solo, 3.0 sacks, 7 PDef, 2 INT, 1 TD 59T

His tackle numbers were down 2010 but again that was due to Spikes playing on running downs.  But I love the direction the sack numbers and Pass Defended numbers are going.  I did a post, way back, that showed it usually takes 3-4 years for a rush OLB to start putting up big sack numbers.

Let's not forget Vrabel played sparingly at Pittsburgh for 4 years before coming to NE in 2001.  His first 3 years in NE he did this.

2001 - 63 tackles, 40 solo, 7 PDef, 3.0 sacks, 2 INT
    2002 - 82 tackles, 58 solo, 4 PDef, 4.5 sacks, 1 INT
    2003 - 52 tackles, 37 solo, 2 PDef, 9.5 sacks, 2 INT

His sack numbers then went 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 12.5, 4.0 then off to KC where he went 2, 0.  For his 14 year career he has 57 sacks which is just 4 sacks a year.

Vrabel's first 3 years were not all that unlike Guyton then Vrabel put up a big 9.5.  Maybe Guyton will break out this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Assuming the rookie salary scale is approved and implemented, the top 5-10 picks will likely be worth more than they are today as the reduced financial risk should increase their value. You know a lot more about this stuff than me, am I misinterpreting that side of things?  Would the rookie salary cap, if approved, be implemented for this draft or is that whole thing and unknown until the CBA agreement is finalized? Ha, shouldn't wear off when you cycle on, cycle off, Miyagi style.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I would think so, I think right now there are 3 possible scenarios and I'm no expert by all means.

Scenario 1
    Courts find owners cannot lockout players so they will continue to operate under last year's rules so unless then a CBA is agreed upon no rookie cap.  Teams would sign at rediculous millions

Scenario 2
    same above except CBA is done before draft or shortly after with the agreement on rookie wage scale in place at it would take affect this season

Scenario 3
    Lockout continues after hearing, CBA is done after draft or before but most likely after and rookie wage scale is in place.

Now under scenario 1 I don't think any owner in their right mind would sign any top 10 players until a CBA is agreed on specially since uncle Al doesn't have a top 10 pick to throw money at.  So I think these players will be under a wage scale so those picks will be valuable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Ken, Miller was actually 6-3, 246 at his Combine and ran a 4.42.  Do you know how sick that is?  He's a LB with CB speed.  Miller put on 10 lbs since the start of his senior season and he can easily add another 5-10 lbs.  Did you know that Rosevelt Colvin was listed at 6-3, 250 and he was our weak side edge rusher?  Let's look at where some of the elite edge rushers were at their combine compared to Miller.  I added Misi even though he wasn't elite.  He was, though picked by a 34 team, Miami.  I have where these guys weighed in at the Combine and where the NFL says they are today on NFL.com.  So guys will put on pounds. 2011 Von Miller 6-3, 246, 4.42 2005 DeMarcus Ware 6-4, 251, 4.56 NFL 6-4, 262 2006 Elvis Dumervil, 6-0, 257, 4.75  NFL 5-11, 248 2009 Clay Matthews 6-3, 240, 4.62  NFL 6-3, 255 2009 Brian Cushing 6-3, 243, 4.64 NFL 6-3, 260 2010 Koa Misi, 6-3, 251, 4.75 NFL 6-3, 251 Miller is the same height as Matthews and Cushing when they came out and look how much each has put on since.  Miller's 4.42 speed blows them all away.  If Miller adds 15 lbs which is what Matthews did and less than what Cushing did he'll be 6-3, 261.  Would you have a problem with that?  We didn't even discuss college production.  Miller will be a super star baring injury.
    Posted by Faucetman

absolutely....and have you looked up the current sizes of Nink and TBC. 6'2"250/255....Miller being 6'3", 246 is absolutley within range I would say for what we want. Especially given his 4.4 speed and what he can bring. The problem is he will cost an awful lot....Faucet I think is willing to pay. I can be convinced to do so as well, but I'm torn on if we need a DE like Watt more, or an OLB like Miller more. Faucet can make a case we can get them both..I agree, but I don't think BB sells all his early round picks to move up twice to get both of them...I could be wrong, so pick your poison?

Sections
Shortcuts