2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

Its time for BB to forget size weight on DE;s....lets get players who can make the other teams Qb;s unconfortable...I think JJ watt.....cameron Jordan at end will do that...and at least one will be available after # 10...( maybe both)...Then get replacements for guyton...nink....I maybe fletcher or moore are answers but we wont know until after the draft...So a Miller...Reed..Houston...Quinn i think would make pats a better defense... Start there and then address the O line...which really need to be improved... get someone that will block up the middle...I am sure BB can be flexible...and see that the old days of stopping the run in a passing game is old school....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Faucet,

One other OLB name I would add to the list is Chris Carter from Fresno State. I don't know if we visited with him or not, but he working out with McGinest is an interesting tidbit and between he playing at Fresno State and McGinest, there has to be some link or interest I would think.

Also interesting is on walterfootball's latest mock, they have us taking Carter at #60. He is one of those off the radar types that I can see the Pats having great interest in. Seems to have decent size, quickness/speed, strength and production for the OLB position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    Faucet, One other OLB name I would add to the list is Chris Carter from Fresno State. I don't know if we visited with him or not, but he working out with McGinest is an interesting tidbit and between he playing at Fresno State and McGinest, there has to be some link or interest I would think. Also interesting is on walterfootball's latest mock, they have us taking Carter at #60. He is one of those off the radar types that I can see the Pats having great interest in. Seems to have decent size, quickness/speed, strength and production for the OLB position.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Chris Carter is Miller Lite.
    Bruce Carter is Brewing Miller Lite.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : last night i started having strong feelings about miller. this is a total change for me. if we go for a top 5 guy.  i'm feeling miller is going to tear it up in pass rush and wreak havoc.  still would like a de somewhere in draft who is improvemwent on pressuring qb, and gotta get 2 o lineman. can we do it all. bit of a challenge, but i would try.
    Posted by brdbreu

Miller is going to be a stud, no doubt.  If a QB gets past CIN and they go DE or WR or something, ARI may take the QB at 5 allowing Miller to slip to 7.

But, from everything I'm reading and studying, the Pats aren't even talking to top 10 guys.  They have ammo to get to 7 or 5 with 33 or 28 but don't appear interested.  They don't appear interested in any 5 technique types like Watt or Jordan.  They don't seem interested in any of the top OLB candidates either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Faucet, I went back and looked at MB's list of players the Pats have worked out, met with, etc. One name not included on your list is Martez Wilson. I think he would qualify as a potential "elite" ILB/OLB conversion type, if you include him roughly in the same grouping as Bailey (if you assume he converts from ILB to OLB or plays both, and he is a high/mid round 2nd round pick. (or at least that is where I am seeing him mocked). The list overall is telling if we believe it to be just the players they are considering. In all honesty, I have to think there are other players in consideration just not on the list or not discussed as the Pats want to camoflauge their intentions or interest. With who we have on the roster, I don't know why we would be interested in another NT, unless it's an upgrade over Love, or the Pats don't feel comfortable with Brace in that role. I really don't want VW playing more 3-4 DE. Not to say he can't because he is pretty athletic for a guy his size, but I want more length at the position. There is no chance he bats a ball or two being barely 6'2", and with his arm length and vertical capability.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I'm with you.  There were other reports about players the Pats met with at the Combine not on the list so yes, this could be a smoke screen or they have enough information on a lot of guys to decide if they would fit, not fit and the ones they brought in maybe they didn't get enough information on.  Remember last year they had dinner with Tim Tebow then passed on him several times but drafted 3 of his team mates.  They could be gathering information about other players from these meetings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Its time for BB to forget size weight on DE;s....lets get players who can make the other teams Qb;s unconfortable...I think JJ watt.....cameron Jordan at end will do that...and at least one will be available after # 10...( maybe both)...Then get replacements for guyton...nink....I maybe fletcher or moore are answers but we wont know until after the draft...So a Miller...Reed..Houston...Quinn i think would make pats a better defense... Start there and then address the O line...which really need to be improved... get someone that will block up the middle...I am sure BB can be flexible...and see that the old days of stopping the run in a passing game is old school....
    Posted by fishers5

Why?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Personally, I think the whole "Fairley is slipping" idea is media driven and likely started by a team that wants him to slip right into their hands. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Could be but there were always questions about Fairley, his shoulder, work ethic, coming out of games getting tired, and the dirty player label, which he clearly deserves.  Do teams want a talented guy, one-year wonder, who is going to leave a trail of 15 yard yellow flags in his wake?

Bottom line, after CAR and DEN, the only 43 teams that need DTs are CLE at 6 (everyone has them taking a WR) then MIN at 12 and STL at 14.  Fairley has been mocked to TEN at 8 a lot but they don't need a DT, they need a QB and CB much more.  

Teams drafting in the top 10 should not draft a WR unless all other needs are filled.  If CIN goes Mallet and CLE goes Fairley that pushed both WR to 10.  WAS has more holes than the Titanic.  Shannahan is a smart guy would he really take a WR over a QB, OT or pure 5 Tech so they can dump that albatross, Haynesworth?  I don't think so, not if JJ Watt is on the board, even an experienced LT like Castonzo would make more sense than a wide out.  They don't have a QB to get the WR the ball and holes in the OL to protect a QB if they had one.

There have been some highly touted WRs to slip in recent drafts. 

2010 Dez Bryant (24)
    2009 Michael Crabtree (10)
    2008 None taken
    2006 Santonio Holmes (25)
    1998 Randy Moss (21)

There have been 16 WRs taken in the top 10 since 1999 so it is a position often taken high but in the past three drafts only two have gone top ten, Crabtree and Heyward-Bey and HB was a huge reach.  Talent aside, what if AJ Green fell to STL and Jones to 17?  I think it would have to be a no brainer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

No. 17 New England Patriots (from Oakland Raiders)
    • Kiper's pick: Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue outside linebacker
    • McShay's pick: J.J. Watt, Wisconsin defensive end
    • Bunting's pick: J.J. Watt, Wisconsin defensive end
    • Kirwan's pick: Tyron Smith, USC tackle
    • Nawrocki's pick: Mark Ingram, Alabama running back
    • Rang's pick: J.J. Watt, Wisconsin defensive end
    • Reuter's pick: Cameron Jordan, California defensive end
    • Draft Tek's pick: Aldon Smith, Missouri outside linebacker
    No. 28 New England Patriots
    • Kiper's pick: Leonard Hankerson, Miami receiver
    • McShay's pick: Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue outside linebacker
    • Bunting's pick: Danny Watkins, Baylor guard
    • Kirwan's pick: Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple defensive tackle
    • Nawrocki's pick: Nate Solder, Colorado tackle
    • Rang's pick: Danny Watkins, Baylor guard
    • Reuter's pick: Danny Watkins, Baylor guard
    • Draft Tek's pick: Christian Ballard, Iowa defensive end
    A few of the experts mocked up in one spot...I think I like Mcshay's, Bunting's, Kirwan's, or Rang's pair of players best.  Fills our needs with players these boards seem to think will be good fits...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Personally, I think the whole "Fairley is slipping" idea is media driven and likely started by a team that wants him to slip right into their hands. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Media driven or not. I really do try to form my own opinions when i have ability to see some film on players. I have never been overly impressed. I am not saying not good but never felt he was a top two or three player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Let's just post this Rocky.  It makes it easier.  In studying this list, I don't see any of the top DL types we have been talking about.  No Watt, no Jordan, no Wilkerson (although they were at his pro day), no Heyward, no Fairley.  I also only see one stud OT in Solder and G Pouncey.  There isn't one solid OLB prospect in the bunch.  They are looking at a host of RBs, WR and QBs.  I've highlighted in red players that would fit in our 17-33 range.  Players that fit in the 60-74 range are in blue. Mike Pouncey Nate Solder Ryan Williams Torrey Smith Randall Cobb Allen Bailey Jordan Todman Kenrick Ellis Offense Hillsdale wide receiver Andre Holmes 6-4, 210, 4.51, undrafted type Florida offensive lineman Mike Pouncey Maryland wide receiver Torrey Smith Kentucky wide receiver Chris Matthews 6-5, 218, 4.57, UK's #2 WR behind Cobb, productive but prob a late round pick Virginia Tech running back Ryan Williams, many feel could be the best RB in draft Nevada tight end Virgil Green 6-3.5, 252, 4.54, solid 4th rounder, similar to Hernandez TCU quarterback Andy Dalton TCU wide receiver Jeremy Kerley 5-10, 189, 4.56 Slot type, 6th round Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi Missouri offensive lineman Tim Barnes 4th rated Center, 6-4, 300, 5.17, 4th rounder good size for his speed which BB likes, best as a run blocker Defense Citadel defensive back Cortez Allen 6-1, 197, 4.50, 4-5th rounder Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey Northwestern defensive lineman Corbin Bryant 6-3, 297, 5.10, undrafted type Missouri defensive back Kevin Rutland 6-0, 190, 4.58, late round - undrafted UTC defensive back Buster Skrine elite speed, bad on tape, beaten badly several times badly against Auburn, 5-6th round pick Hampton defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis, huge and athletic, perfect 3-4 Nose South Florida defensive lineman Terrell McClain 6-2, 297, 4.98, very athletic for his size, projects to NT for us 4-6 round range In addition, it’s been reported by multiple outlets the following players will have or have had private workouts or meetings with the Patriots: Offense Connecticut running back Jordan Todman (via National Football Post) Mount Union wide receiver Cecil Shorts (via NEPatriotsDraft.com) Slot type, 6-0, 205, 4.50, 5-6th rounder Montana State offensive lineman Mike Person (via Bozeman Daily Chronicle) 6-5, 299, 507, 21 reps. Fast for a big man, the type of OG BB likes, late round to undrafted. Texas Tech quarterback Taylor Potts (via SI.com) Maryland running back Da’Rel Scott (via SI.com) 5-11, 211, 4.40, all around back that can explode through the hole and break long runs, solid pass catcher.  4-5th rounder Kentucky wide receiver Randall Cobb (via SI.com) Kentucky running back Derrick Locke (via SI.com) 5-8, 188, 4.37 speedster, 5-6 rounder Colorado offensive lineman Nate Solder (via National Football Post) Defense Fresno State defensive back Desia Dunn (via Fresnostate.scout.com) 5-8, 191, 4.53 undrafted type Louisville defensive back Johnny Patrick (via ESPNBoston) late 3rd CB, could be safety conversion type. South Florida cornerback Mistral Raymond (via ESPNBoston) Got nothing on him Temple defensive back Jaiquawn Jarrett (via National Football Post) 5th round FS Maryland linebacker Adrien Moten (via National Football Post) 6-2, 234, 4.49, OLB late 6-7 rounder.  Is a solide blitzer putting up 15.5 career sacks.  Is great in coverage with 4 INTs last year, better run stopper than you would think for his size and never gives up on a play. Pats probably looking at him as core ST guy like Izzo/ Tracy White. So what this all tells me is the Patriots are looking for a 3rd QB  perhaps in the 3-5th round range.  They are looking for another NT type, why?  Maybe they want to move Wilfork to DE more often.  They aren't looking at any 34 DE types that I can see.  They are looking at a host of RBs and WR starting from 33 to late rounds.  Other than Bailey, not one elite DE/OLB conversion type.  They are starting to think about Center with Pouncey and Barnes. Unless they are hiding their intentions are know enough about some of the elite players they met with that wasn't widely reported, this is somewhat confusing.  Is this the complete list of players they worked out, anyone know?
    Posted by Faucetman

You already know my thoughts on these lists meaning anything. The Patriots have drafted players on their annual "reported" lists. They have also drafted players NOT on any "reported" list.

However just right off the top without going into detail, the Pats have worked out Cam Jordan, Wilkerson and clayborn so your idea they have worked out a DE type or de/olb type other than Bailey is not accurate. Also do not know if they would work out Heyward but he can't work out yet anyway so that don't say anything yet either.

Also on the line they sent Scar which they don't always do to the BC workout and Scar ran the OL through the drills iat that ProDay.

The last I check , the Pats had only had 5 official visits so far and are allowed 30. Long way to go. Because the Pats do not use one of the universal scouting service like most teams, they typically have more private workouts and official visits each year out of need.

There is a bunch of other info missing as well, but you get the idea. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to gleen conclusions, and just keep up. At least I used to. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Patriots list of players they have had contact with.

Multiple contacts in bold.

Legend:
    SBI – Senior Bowl Interview
    SGI – Shrine Game Interview
    CI – Combine Interview
    PW- Private Workout
    OV – Official Visit
    PD – Pro Day Coaching Contact
    PDS – Pro Day Scouting Contact

As of March 28th, 2011

Defensive Line
    Christian Ballard, Iowa (SBI)
    Adrian Clayborn, Iowa (PW)
    Pernell McPhee, Mississippi (SGI)
    Allen Bailey, Miami (OV, PW, PD)
    Cameron Jordan, Cal (SBI, PW)
    Phil Taylor, Baylor (SBI)
    Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson (SBI)
    David Carter, UCLA (SGI)
    Corbin Bryant, Northwestern (PW)
    Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple (PDS, PW)
    Eli Joseph, Temple (PW)
    Terrell McClain, South Florida (PW)
    Kenrick Ellis, Hampton (PW)

Linebackers
    Casey Matthews, Oregon (SBI)
    Mark Herzlich, Boston College (SBI)
    KJ Wright, Mississippi State (SBI)
    Cheta Ozougwu, Rice (SGI)
    JT Thomas, West Virginia (CI)
    Colin McCarthy, Miami (PD)
    Adrien Moten, Maryland (PW)
    Mike Mohammed, Cal (PW)
    Martez Wilson, Illinois (PW)
    Michael Lockley, Florida Atlantic (PW)

Defensive Backs

Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah (SGI)
    Mark Legree, Appalachian State (CI)
    Cortez Allen, Citadel (PW)
    Brandon Harris, Miami (PD)
    Demarcus Van D'yke, Miami (PD)
    Desia Dunn, Fresno State (PW)
    Mistral Raymond, USF (PW)
    Kevin Rutland, Missouri (PW)
    Johnny Patrick, Louisville (PW)
    Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple (PW)
    Chykie Brown, Texas (PW)
    Curtis Brown, Texas (PW)
    Buster Skrine, UT-Chat (OV)

Running Backs
    Alex Green, Hawaii (SGI)
    DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma (SBI)
    Derrick Locke, Kentucky (SBI, PW)
    Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech (PW)
    Jordan Todman, UConn (OV)
    Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State (OV, PW)
    Da’Rel Scott, Maryland (PW)

Wide Receivers
    Leonard Hankerson, Miami (SBI)
    Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State (SBI)
    Chris Matthews, Kentucky (PW)
    Torrey Smith, Maryland (PW)
    Ricardo Lockette, Fort Valley State (PD)
    Cecil Shorts, Mount Union (PW)
    Andre Holmes, Hillsdale (PW)
    Jeremy Ross, Cal (PW)
    Edmund Gates, ACU (PW)
    Lester Jean, Florida Atlantic PW)

Tight Ends
    Julius Thomas, Portland State (CI)
    Virgil Green, Nevada (PW)
    Rob Housler, Florida Atlantic (PW)

Offensive Line
    Danny Watkins, Baylor (SBI)
    Joseph Barksdale, LSU (SGI)
    Marcus Gilbert, Florida (SBI)
    Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock (CI, PW)
    Caleb Schlaudraff, Utah (SGI)
    Mike Pouncey, Florida (PD)
    James Carpenter, Alabama (PD)
    Mike Person, Montana State (PW)
    Will Rackley, Lehigh (PW)
    Tim Barnes, Missouri (PD)

Quarterbacks
    Colin Kaepernick, Nevada (SBI)
    Greg McElroy, Alabama (SBI)
    Andy Dalton, TCU (PW)
    Taylor Potts, Texas Tech (PW)
    Jeff Van Camp, Florida Atlantic (PW)
    Adam Weber, Minnesota (PW)
    Ricky Stanzi, Iowa (PW)

Pro Days Visited:
    Alabama
    Alabama A&M
    Arizona State
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    Baylor
    Boston College
    California
    Central Connecticut State
    Central Florida
    Colorado
    Florida International
    Florida
    Fresno State
    Georgia
    Illinois
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    LSU
    Miami
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    Northwestern
    Ohio State
    Oklahoma State
    Penn State
    Pittsburgh
    Purdue
    South Florida
    Stanford
    Temple
    UMass
    Virginia Tech
    West Virginia
    Western Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Wofford

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : If QBs do fly off the board, the draft could start out like this.  Fairley, Jordan and Aldon Smith could be there at 17 along with 4 of the 5 OTs.  This makes me think Cam Jordan but not after doing my last post.  Do you think we'd consider Fairley at 17, if he falls this far?  He is slipping. Order Schm   Team   Player P 1 4-3 CAR Blaine Gabbert QB 2 4-3 DEN Marcell Dareus DT 3 3-4 BUF Cam Newton QB 4 4-3 CIN Ryan Mallett QB 5 3-4 ARI Patrick Peterson CB 6 4-3 CLE Julio Jones WR 7 3-4 SF Von Miller OLB 8 4-3 TEN Prince Amukamara CB 9 3-4 DAL JJ Watt DE 10 3-4 WAS Anthony Castonzo OT 11 3-4 HOU Phil Taylor DT 12 4-3 MIN Da'Quan Bowers DE 13 4-3 DET Robert Quinn DE 14 4-3 STL AJ Green WR 15 3-4 MIA Mike Pouncey OG 16 4-3 JAX Christian Ponder QB 17 3-4 NE    
    Posted by Faucetman

This is the exact reason I made my earlier post. If you know Green is on the board at #13 and most likely will be taken at #14 I think the Pats will go get him.

I personally do not believe in WR's high but if you can get a top 5 "talent" at #13 I think you have to strongly consider it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Miller is going to be a stud, no doubt.  If a QB gets past CIN and they go DE or WR or something, ARI may take the QB at 5 allowing Miller to slip to 7. But, from everything I'm reading and studying, the Pats aren't even talking to top 10 guys.  They have ammo to get to 7 or 5 with 33 or 28 but don't appear interested.  They don't appear interested in any 5 technique types like Watt or Jordan.  They don't seem interested in any of the top OLB candidates either.
    Posted by Faucetman

hey faucet...what's your basis for saying nwe is not looking at f tech types? that is really interesting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : This is the exact reason I made my earlier post. If you know Green is on the board at #13 and most likely will be taken at #14 I think the Pats will go get him. I personally do not believe in WR's high but if you can get a top 5 "talent" at #13 I think you have to strongly consider it.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Is AJ Green a top 5 talent in this draft, or do you think he qualifies there in any draft year? Meaning, is his talent truely unique?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Patriots list of players they have had contact with. Multiple contacts in bold . Legend: SBI – Senior Bowl Interview SGI – Shrine Game Interview CI – Combine Interview PW - Private Workout OV – Official Visit PD – Pro Day Coaching Contact PDS – Pro Day Scouting Contact As of March 28th, 2011 Defensive Line Christian Ballard, Iowa (SBI) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa ( PW ) Pernell McPhee, Mississippi (SGI) Allen Bailey, Miami ( OV , PW , PD) Cameron Jordan, Cal (SBI, PW ) Phil Taylor, Baylor (SBI) Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson (SBI) David Carter, UCLA (SGI) Corbin Bryant, Northwestern ( PW ) Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple (PDS, PW ) Eli Joseph, Temple ( PW ) Terrell McClain, South Florida ( PW ) Kenrick Ellis, Hampton ( PW ) Linebackers Casey Matthews, Oregon (SBI) Mark Herzlich, Boston College (SBI) KJ Wright, Mississippi State (SBI) Cheta Ozougwu, Rice (SGI) JT Thomas, West Virginia (CI) Colin McCarthy, Miami (PD) Adrien Moten, Maryland ( PW ) Mike Mohammed, Cal ( PW ) Martez Wilson, Illinois ( PW ) Michael Lockley, Florida Atlantic ( PW )     Defensive Backs Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah (SGI) Mark Legree, Appalachian State (CI) Cortez Allen, Citadel ( PW ) Brandon Harris, Miami (PD) Demarcus Van D'yke, Miami (PD) Desia Dunn, Fresno State ( PW ) Mistral Raymond, USF ( PW ) Kevin Rutland, Missouri ( PW ) Johnny Patrick, Louisville ( PW ) Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple ( PW ) Chykie Brown, Texas ( PW ) Curtis Brown, Texas ( PW ) Buster Skrine, UT-Chat ( OV ) Running Backs Alex Green, Hawaii (SGI) DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma (SBI) Derrick Locke, Kentucky (SBI, PW ) Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech ( PW ) Jordan Todman, UConn ( OV ) Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State ( OV , PW ) Da’Rel Scott, Maryland ( PW ) Wide Receivers Leonard Hankerson, Miami (SBI) Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State (SBI) Chris Matthews, Kentucky ( PW ) Torrey Smith, Maryland ( PW ) Ricardo Lockette, Fort Valley State (PD) Cecil Shorts, Mount Union ( PW ) Andre Holmes, Hillsdale ( PW ) Jeremy Ross, Cal ( PW ) Edmund Gates, ACU ( PW ) Lester Jean, Florida Atlantic PW ) Tight Ends Julius Thomas, Portland State (CI) Virgil Green, Nevada ( PW ) Rob Housler, Florida Atlantic ( PW ) Offensive Line Danny Watkins, Baylor (SBI) Joseph Barksdale, LSU (SGI) Marcus Gilbert, Florida (SBI) Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock (CI, PW ) Caleb Schlaudraff, Utah (SGI) Mike Pouncey, Florida (PD) James Carpenter, Alabama (PD) Mike Person, Montana State ( PW ) Will Rackley, Lehigh ( PW ) Tim Barnes, Missouri (PD) Quarterbacks Colin Kaepernick, Nevada (SBI) Greg McElroy, Alabama (SBI) Andy Dalton, TCU ( PW ) Taylor Potts, Texas Tech ( PW ) Jeff Van Camp, Florida Atlantic ( PW ) Adam Weber, Minnesota ( PW ) Ricky Stanzi, Iowa ( PW ) Pro Days Visited: Alabama Alabama A&M Arizona State Arkansas Auburn Baylor Boston College California Central Connecticut State Central Florida Colorado Florida International Florida Fresno State Georgia Illinois Kansas Kentucky LSU Miami Minnesota Missouri Nebraska Nevada Northwestern Ohio State Oklahoma State Penn State Pittsburgh Purdue South Florida Stanford Temple UMass Virginia Tech West Virginia Western Michigan Wisconsin Wofford
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I have been watching tapes on most DL/OLB prospects.  So it is interesting to know that they had private workouts with:

Adrian Clayborn,Allen Bailey, Cameron Jordan,  Muhammad Wilkerson, Terrell McClain, Kenrick Ellis.

Thanks for the information.  Should anyone of the above get drafted, we will be able to find out if they broke down films with BB as McCourty did last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : If QBs do fly off the board, the draft could start out like this.  Fairley, Jordan and Aldon Smith could be there at 17 along with 4 of the 5 OTs.  This makes me think Cam Jordan but not after doing my last post.  Do you think we'd consider Fairley at 17, if he falls this far?  He is slipping. Order Schm   Team   Player P 1 4-3 CAR Blaine Gabbert QB 2 4-3 DEN Marcell Dareus DT 3 3-4 BUF Cam Newton QB 4 4-3 CIN Ryan Mallett QB 5 3-4 ARI Patrick Peterson CB 6 4-3 CLE Julio Jones WR 7 3-4 SF Von Miller OLB 8 4-3 TEN Prince Amukamara CB 9 3-4 DAL JJ Watt DE 10 3-4 WAS Anthony Castonzo OT 11 3-4 HOU Phil Taylor DT 12 4-3 MIN Da'Quan Bowers DE 13 4-3 DET Robert Quinn DE 14 4-3 STL AJ Green WR 15 3-4 MIA Mike Pouncey OG 16 4-3 JAX Christian Ponder QB 17 3-4 NE    
    Posted by Faucetman

If Fairley drops to 17 then you have to take him. His talent is way to high not to grab him. But, as MB has said I don't buy the Fairley is slipping he'll be a top 10 pick. Now Bower's on the other hand might be falling hard. There are rumors out there that he failed a couple of physicals because of the knee along with a couple of other flags. But, imo both will be in the top 4 DE's taken off the board.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Is AJ Green a top 5 talent in this draft, or do you think he qualifies there in any draft year? Meaning, is his talent truely unique?
    Posted by PatsLifer

I believe he might be that special. I have heard said more than a few times his type talent only comes about 2 or 3 times a decade at the position.

In recent memory I believe the only receiver rated higher overall, not accounting for system fit relating to draft slot, was Calvin Johnson.

We are only talking about a very specific scenario so it's only moving 4 spots for a player that has been talked about as having top 5 talent almost since day one.

I have no idea what the Patriots think of him. IF however they viewed him as a top 5 talent it is the sort of "value" play I would expect out of the Patriots in this given scenario.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I have been watching tapes on most DL/OLB prospects.  So it is interesting to know that they had private workouts with: Adrian Clayborn, Allen Bailey, Cameron Jordan,  Muhammad Wilkerson, Terrell McClain, Kenrick Ellis. Thanks for the information.  Should anyone of the above get drafted, we will be able to find out if they broke down films with BB as McCourty did last year.
    Posted by TrustBill

The only one I am aware of so far to do that is Bailey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hey MB,

Patriots hosting Prince Amukamara on an official visit. You were saying? ;-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey MB, Patriots hosting Prince Amukamara on an official visit. You were saying? ;-)
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Go get'm Bill!  Ha.

I mean, its probably part of the general scouting process (no stone left unturned etc.), but it's good to see them hosting top 10 caliber talent with one of their 30 visits. 

Thanks for the heads up, man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : hey faucet...what's your basis for saying nwe is not looking at f tech types? that is really interesting.
    Posted by seattlepat70

just realized i mistyped...i mean 5 tech ypes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

No. 17 New England Patriots (from Oakland Raiders ) Kiper's pick: Ryan Kerrigan , Purdue outside linebacker McShay's pick: J.J. Watt , Wisconsin defensive end Bunting's pick: J.J. Watt, Wisconsin defensive end Kirwan's pick: Tyron Smith , USC tackle Nawrocki's pick: Mark Ingram, Alabama running back Rang's pick: J.J. Watt, Wisconsin defensive end Reuter's pick: Cameron Jordan , California defensive end Draft Tek's pick: Aldon Smith , Missouri outside linebacker No. 28 New England Patriots Kiper's pick: Leonard Hankerson , Miami receiver McShay's pick: Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue outside linebacker Bunting's pick: Danny Watkins , Baylor guard Kirwan's pick: Muhammad Wilkerson , Temple defensive tackle Nawrocki's pick: Nate Solder , Colorado tackle Rang's pick: Danny Watkins, Baylor guard Reuter's pick: Danny Watkins, Baylor guard Draft Tek's pick: Christian Ballard , Iowa defensive end A few of the experts mocked up in one spot...I think I like Mcshay's, Bunting's, Kirwan's, or Rang's pair of players best.  Fills our needs with players these boards seem to think will be good fits...
    Posted by fl+adam,

Kiper was the only guy to go completely different from everyone else.  Kerrigan maybe, but Hankerson at 28?  What's this guy smoking and why does anyone listen to him anymore?

Re Ingram, it was reported that Miami, NE and NYG are interested in him.  The P2TD guys think the quality depth in rounds 2-5 for RBs could push Ingram to the back of the first round.  If you are Miami and have just two picks in the top 100, why take Ingram in the first?  Miami is hosting Mallett and they already looked at Ponder so I would think QB would trump Ingram, if the guy they like is there.

It was also reported that several teams are bringing Amukamara in for a visit, the Patriots and Bucs being by far the teams needing to trade up the most if they actually plan on drafting him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Patriots list of players they have had contact with. Multiple contacts in bold . Legend: SBI – Senior Bowl Interview SGI – Shrine Game Interview CI – Combine Interview PW - Private Workout OV – Official Visit PD – Pro Day Coaching Contact PDS – Pro Day Scouting Contact As of March 28th, 2011 Defensive Line Christian Ballard, Iowa (SBI) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa ( PW ) Pernell McPhee, Mississippi (SGI) Allen Bailey, Miami ( OV , PW , PD) Cameron Jordan, Cal (SBI, PW ) Phil Taylor, Baylor (SBI) Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson (SBI) David Carter, UCLA (SGI) Corbin Bryant, Northwestern ( PW ) Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple (PDS, PW ) Eli Joseph, Temple ( PW ) Terrell McClain, South Florida ( PW ) Kenrick Ellis, Hampton ( PW ) Linebackers Casey Matthews, Oregon (SBI) Mark Herzlich, Boston College (SBI) KJ Wright, Mississippi State (SBI) Cheta Ozougwu, Rice (SGI) JT Thomas, West Virginia (CI) Colin McCarthy, Miami (PD) Adrien Moten, Maryland ( PW ) Mike Mohammed, Cal ( PW ) Martez Wilson, Illinois ( PW ) Michael Lockley, Florida Atlantic ( PW )     Defensive Backs Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah (SGI) Mark Legree, Appalachian State (CI) Cortez Allen, Citadel ( PW ) Brandon Harris, Miami (PD) Demarcus Van D'yke, Miami (PD) Desia Dunn, Fresno State ( PW ) Mistral Raymond, USF ( PW ) Kevin Rutland, Missouri ( PW ) Johnny Patrick, Louisville ( PW ) Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple ( PW ) Chykie Brown, Texas ( PW ) Curtis Brown, Texas ( PW ) Buster Skrine, UT-Chat ( OV ) Running Backs Alex Green, Hawaii (SGI) DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma (SBI) Derrick Locke, Kentucky (SBI, PW ) Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech ( PW ) Jordan Todman, UConn ( OV ) Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State ( OV , PW ) Da’Rel Scott, Maryland ( PW ) Wide Receivers Leonard Hankerson, Miami (SBI) Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State (SBI) Chris Matthews, Kentucky ( PW ) Torrey Smith, Maryland ( PW ) Ricardo Lockette, Fort Valley State (PD) Cecil Shorts, Mount Union ( PW ) Andre Holmes, Hillsdale ( PW ) Jeremy Ross, Cal ( PW ) Edmund Gates, ACU ( PW ) Lester Jean, Florida Atlantic PW ) Tight Ends Julius Thomas, Portland State (CI) Virgil Green, Nevada ( PW ) Rob Housler, Florida Atlantic ( PW ) Offensive Line Danny Watkins, Baylor (SBI) Joseph Barksdale, LSU (SGI) Marcus Gilbert, Florida (SBI) Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock (CI, PW ) Caleb Schlaudraff, Utah (SGI) Mike Pouncey, Florida (PD) James Carpenter, Alabama (PD) Mike Person, Montana State ( PW ) Will Rackley, Lehigh ( PW ) Tim Barnes, Missouri (PD) Quarterbacks Colin Kaepernick, Nevada (SBI) Greg McElroy, Alabama (SBI) Andy Dalton, TCU ( PW ) Taylor Potts, Texas Tech ( PW ) Jeff Van Camp, Florida Atlantic ( PW ) Adam Weber, Minnesota ( PW ) Ricky Stanzi, Iowa ( PW ) Pro Days Visited: Alabama Alabama A&M Arizona State Arkansas Auburn Baylor Boston College California Central Connecticut State Central Florida Colorado Florida International Florida Fresno State Georgia Illinois Kansas Kentucky LSU Miami Minnesota Missouri Nebraska Nevada Northwestern Ohio State Oklahoma State Penn State Pittsburgh Purdue South Florida Stanford Temple UMass Virginia Tech West Virginia Western Michigan Wisconsin Wofford
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

This is a great post Low, very helpful.  Thanks a ton.  While I don't think you can take too much from players they visit, you can sometimes rule out players that they don't visit with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : This is the exact reason I made my earlier post. If you know Green is on the board at #13 and most likely will be taken at #14 I think the Pats will go get him. I personally do not believe in WR's high but if you can get a top 5 "talent" at #13 I think you have to strongly consider it.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

It is interesting that they didn't, from your list, meet with Green, Jones or Ingram or any of the elite OTs except Solder.  Obviously Scar saw Castonzo up and close so perhaps meeting with him wasn't needed.  They can learn a lot about a player by picking up the phone and talking to the coaches.  Those conversations don't get reported.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : hey faucet...what's your basis for saying nwe is not looking at f tech types? that is really interesting.
    Posted by seattlepat70

That was based on the impartial list that was put out.  Low provided a much better list.  I withdraw the comment.

Sections
Shortcuts