2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1

I'm going with:
    Round 1-
    1. Marcell Dareus, Alabama, DE
    2. Jack Crawford, Penn State, OLB

The defense next year will have two holes to fill, right end and a dominant pass rusher. Hopefully this year, Brace, Gerrard Warren, and Wright will be able to hold up well enough that the defensive line is decent. I'm hoping for Brace's breakout season so that when we add Dareus and get back Ty Warren, we can use a running down rotation of Brace, Ty Warren, and Dareus. Wright is better saved for passing downs with Pryor. Dareus is the successor to Richard Seymour, huge/strong, good length, athleticism, dominant 3-4 right end.

Every year we talk about the OLB prototype. Crawford is that player, 6'5", 255+ with a sub-4.7 40. Add him to Cunningham and TBC and that should be a trio that can provide consistent pressure solidifying the defensive needs.

Round 2-
    1. DeMarcus Love, Arkansas, OT
    2. Evan Royster, Penn State, RB

I was tempted to put Steve Wisniewski in this draft. Three Penn State players would be too much, perhaps. Interior line seems to me to be a bigger need than tackle. Light will likely re-sign. Kaczur and Vollmer will be back. A tackle drafted early would not be counted on immediately. Love could be a good option there. He seems to fit the mold, great size and athleticism.

Evan Royster seems like a typical Patriots type running back. He's a one cut power back, technically sound, solid in pass protection and as a receiver. Royster won't be a superstar in this league but would be a great guy to get the key carries for a touchdown, first down, or just running out the clock.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have the Patriots taking Ingram or maybe they go back to the Florida well and draft Demps who all of a sudden has grown into a full size man. I think the other guy who will merit a first round choice is Adrian Clayborn, though from what I've read the prognasticators are saying that the Patriots will draft Baldwin the WR from Pittsburgh. To early to project potential draft choices.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:
    [QUOTE]In Response to 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : round 1 (from oakland) adrian clayborne de iowa round 1 mark ingram rb alabama
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE] Brilliant minds think alike.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

MB I have never been a big college football fan (went to UCONN before they stepped up their program), but your insights to the draft has me finally interested.

Living in Europe I am able to watch college football and have started to this season!

Thanks and keep the info coming!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Thanks MB - I do look for your Draft info for Pats too! Thanks man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB I have never been a big college football fan (went to UCONN before they stepped up their program), but your insights to the draft has me finally interested. Living in Europe I am able to watch college football and have started to this season! Thanks and keep the info coming!
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

Welcome!  Glad to help.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks MB - I do look for your Draft info for Pats too! Thanks man.
    Posted by NOISE[/QUOTE]

Welcome!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going with: Round 1- 1. Marcell Dareus, Alabama, DE 2. Jack Crawford, Penn State, OLB The defense next year will have two holes to fill, right end and a dominant pass rusher. Hopefully this year, Brace, Gerrard Warren, and Wright will be able to hold up well enough that the defensive line is decent. I'm hoping for Brace's breakout season so that when we add Dareus and get back Ty Warren, we can use a running down rotation of Brace, Ty Warren, and Dareus. Wright is better saved for passing downs with Pryor. Dareus is the successor to Richard Seymour, huge/strong, good length, athleticism, dominant 3-4 right end. Every year we talk about the OLB prototype. Crawford is that player, 6'5", 255+ with a sub-4.7 40. Add him to Cunningham and TBC and that should be a trio that can provide consistent pressure solidifying the defensive needs. Round 2- 1. DeMarcus Love, Arkansas, OT 2. Evan Royster, Penn State, RB I was tempted to put Steve Wisniewski in this draft. Three Penn State players would be too much, perhaps. Interior line seems to me to be a bigger need than tackle. Light will likely re-sign. Kaczur and Vollmer will be back. A tackle drafted early would not be counted on immediately. Love could be a good option there. He seems to fit the mold, great size and athleticism. Evan Royster seems like a typical Patriots type running back. He's a one cut power back, technically sound, solid in pass protection and as a receiver. Royster won't be a superstar in this league but would be a great guy to get the key carries for a touchdown, first down, or just running out the clock.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Crawford is a name that I hadn't heard yet, but he does have intriguing size and has been named to the Hendricks Award watchlist, this award is given to the nations top defensive end.  I'll have to add him to my list of players to watch, thanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Nick Fairley had a monster game for Auburn last night. Looks like a potential starting 34 end.

Here's a thread a few friends and I have participated in on another board; it's quite an extensive resource. http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=55927

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

MB good post. I followed you and a couple others before the draft and it made the draft fun to watch. I enjoy your posts more than most of the articles the scribes come up with. Who else was doing that posting on the draft. You guys sure had a lot of info. Thanks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Nick Fairley had a monster game for Auburn last night. Looks like a potential starting 34 end. Here's a thread a few friends and I have participated in on another board; it's quite an extensive resource. http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=55927
    Posted by reamer[/QUOTE]

he definitely played well. at 298 lbs i'd prefer for him to gain 10-15 lbs to play end. that said he definitely showed mental toughness and motor, so he will be on my list of players to track this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

As a point of reference,  below is a list (put together on this past April's draft thread) of a lot of the top players by position in the country.  This list is very fluid (i.e. I just added Jack Crawford this AM) so please feel free to suggest adding/taking away a player.

2011 Draft Options

Michael Floyd- WR- Notre Dame
    Julio Jones- WR-
    Alabama

Austin Pettis- WR- Boise State

Jonathan Baldwin- WR- Pitt

Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma

A.J. Green- WR- Georgia

Mark Ingram- RB- Alabama

Noel Devine- RB- West Virginia

Ryan Williams- RB- Virginia Tech

Daniel Thomas- RB- Kansas State

Evan Royster- RB- Penn State

Demarco Murray- RB- Oklahoma

Allen Bradford- RB- USC

Kyle Rudolph- TE- Notre Dame

Owen Marecic- FB- Stanford

Stanley Havili- FB- USC
    Jake Locker- QB- Washington

Ryan Mallet- QB- Arkansas

Andrew Luck- QB- Stanford

John Brantley- QB- Florida

Blaine Gabbert- QB- MissouriChristian Ponder- QB- FSU

Greg Romeus- DE- Pitt

Marcel Dareus- DE- Alabama

Adrian Clayborn- DE – Iowa

Jarvis Jenkins- DE- Clemson

Cameron Jordan- DE- Cal
    Jared Crick- DT/DE- Nebraska

Allen Bailey- DT/DE- Miami

Marvin Austin- DT/DE- UNC

Cameron Heyward- DT/DE- Ohio State

Ryan Kerrigan- DE/OLB- Purdue

Robert Quinn- DE/OLB- UNC

Jack Crawford- DE/OLB- Penn State

Quan Sturdivant- ILB- North Carolina

Mark Herlzich- OLB- Boston College

Cliff Mathews- OLB- South Carolina

Akeem Ayers- OLB- UCLA

Chris Galippo- ILB- USC

Tank Carder- ILB- TCU

Dante Hightower- LB- Alabama

Patrick Peterson- CB- LSU

Prince Amukamara- CB- Nebraska

Tyler Sash- S- Iowa

Mark Barron- S- Alabama

Rahim Moore- S- UCLA

Anthony Castonzo- OT- Boston College

Gabe Carimi- OT- Wisconsin

Matt Reynolds- OT- BYU

Nate Solder- OT- Colorado

Nate Potter- OT- Boise State

Mike Pouncey- C- Florida

Justin Boren- C- Ohio State

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB good post. I followed you and a couple others before the draft and it made the draft fun to watch. I enjoy your posts more than most of the articles the scribes come up with. Who else was doing that posting on the draft. You guys sure had a lot of info. Thanks
    Posted by max5344[/QUOTE]

max5344,
    Thanks!  Keep tuning in, I'm looking forward to the great draft dialogue again this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

I like Natesub's drafting - all would be great for Pats!

MB  fyi - saw the below in SI:

Kyle Rudolph*/TE/Notre Dame: Rudolph showed reliable hands and helped the Irish get off to a quick start, catching four passes during the first quarter. Yet, it was his blocking that really stood out, as Rudolph looked dominant run blocking and in pass protection. He consistently handled Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan, one of the nation's best pass rushers, in one-on-one assignments.

How do you like Kendrell Lockett of Ole Miss as a DE/OLB prospect, what round?  How about Brandon Bolton as a RB?

Regards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Stefen Wisniewski, G/C, Penn State
    He's more likely than Pouncey, IMO. He's played all three interior line positions. Wisniewski does not quite have as much size as Pouncey, but has better athleticism. He's closer to the mold of a Stephen Neal or Logan Mankins than Pouncey who would probably be switched out to tackle in Foxboro, yet not really have the athleticism that this team likes to have even at that position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I like Natesub's drafting - all would be great for Pats! MB  fyi - saw the below in SI: Kyle Rudolph*/TE/Notre Dame: Rudolph showed reliable hands and helped the Irish get off to a quick start, catching four passes during the first quarter. Yet, it was his blocking that really stood out, as Rudolph looked dominant run blocking and in pass protection. He consistently handled Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan , one of the nation's best pass rushers, in one-on-one assignments. How do you like Kendrell Lockett of Ole Miss as a DE/OLB prospect, what round?  How about Brandon Bolton as a RB? Regards.
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]

fyyankees,
    Thanks for the feedback, for consistently being handled, he looked pretty dominant as his stateline would attest.  He spent quite a bit of time behind the LOS.

As a big ND fan, I love Rudolph as a player and the versatility he brings to the field.  He can line up in-line, is effective in the slot, has great hands, the speed to stretch the seam and the size and athleticism to block effectively.  I'd love to see him in Foxboro, but think the additions of Gronk and Hernandez in April probably closed that idea.

I did catch the end of the Ole Miss/JVST game (not a good outcome for an SEC team vs. a 1-AA team) and from what I've read, Lockett wasn't active for that game as he's undergoing tests for a potential heart issue.  Outside of that, he has the size (listed 6-5 258) and length that BB likes in the position so he's certainly someone I'll add to the list.  Thanks for the name.

Bolden I believe was part of their (Ole Miss) RB rotation last year and from what I remember was a tough, hard charging back, decent size (listed 5-11 215) and has shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

lets all hope the raiders only win 2-4 games. if we can get in the top 5 and trade out of that pick(move between picks 10-15) and add another second rounder than watch out!!! every need could be answered in the first 2 rounds(of course this depends if we dont address any of these needs in the offseason) 

on another note, early reports from carolina (rotoworld) have said that they are going to realease deangalo williams rb at the end of the year. now he would be a monster in our backfield, great running back who can catch the ball as well. 

this is all hypothetical, but in some ways makes sense,and probably will never happen lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]lets all hope the raiders only win 2-4 games. ..
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]

yeah. unfortunately it's not just how bad oakland is that you have to look at.  when you look at their schedule, primarily afc west and nfc west, it's easy to see that they could be playing a lot of teams worse than they are. it's ridiculous.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i just saw a qtr of the s carolina game, keeping an eye out for nathews. i did not see him get things done, but he definitely showed strength and power that will make me want to try to see more s carolina games.

the guy that i saw a lot of was their freshman rb, lattimore. he was strong down the middle and showed ability to break tackles. he's not the shifty type more has enough power to get through.

on the other hand, i saw a qtr of the houston game yesterday. that beall guy is shifty quick. very good vision. in slow mo, it was actually fun to see him change direction in reaction to where the defenders where going. it was fun becasue i was not expecting to see much from that game. i did not see him catch but if he can do that he showed potential to replace faulk. the difference is he may have  potential to earn the right to play earlier downs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

watch the penn state-alabama game tonight. there are a few possible players in that game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Never to early to start in on 2011 and say what you will about trading down, it does give us more to talk about.

Watched the FSU vs Sooners and two guys I had my eye on were Jeremy Beal DE/OLB, Travis Lewis WLB.

Jeremy I was looking for as he would fill a draft need but the man was Travis.

6'2 232 runs a 4.34. He is a hammer ( might be his nickname ) on ST and always seems to be in the right spot for tackle, great against the pass. He is a Soph so might not come out this year and we may not be targeting this position but I see him in the mold of last years Sean Weatherspoon but could be a noch above when done with college ball. If we struggle to cover the middle and this kid comes out I will be keeping my eye on him to be that third down LB behind Spikes and Mayo. Not sure yet were we slot him but he will get his reps.

Just thought I'd add my top week two player regardless on position.

Thanks for the post MB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]watch the penn state-alabama game tonight. there are a few possible players in that game.

i missed that one. too many errands to run. which players should i watch for?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

As a side note, Ryan Kerrigan was again dominant all be it against the 1-AA Western Illinois Rodney Harrison's.  He went for 12 tackles (4 for loss) a sack and a forced fumble.

A kid that really impressed me in week two was Trent Richardson (5-11 220) RB Alabama.  The kid is only a sophmore thus not available for next years draft, but reminded me a lot of Marion Barber in both appearance and running style.  The kid just refuses to go down, almost always breaks the initial tackle attempt (a good amount of YAC) is strong as a bull (as outlined during ESPN's College Gameday) and filled in more than admirably for Mark Ingram piling up 144 yards on 22 carries (6.5 ypc) with a TD to go along with 4 catches for 46 yards against Penn State. 

Consider this, the kid was a preseason first-team All-SEC selection and that was assuming a healthy Ingram.  He was also a 5-star recruit coming out of high school in 2009 and was widely regarded the #2 RB in the entire nation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Never to early to start in on 2011 and say what you will about trading down, it does give us more to talk about. Watched the FSU vs Sooners and two guys I had my eye on were Jeremy Beal DE/OLB, Travis Lewis WLB. Jeremy I was looking for as he would fill a draft need but the man was Travis. 6'2 232 runs a 4.34. He is a hammer ( might be his nickname ) on ST and always seems to be in the right spot for tackle, great against the pass. He is a Soph so might not come out this year and we may not be targeting this position but I see him in the mold of last years Sean Weatherspoon but could be a noch above when done with college ball. If we struggle to cover the middle and this kid comes out I will be keeping my eye on him to be that third down LB behind Spikes and Mayo. Not sure yet were we slot him but he will get his reps. Just thought I'd add my top week two player regardless on position. Thanks for the post MB
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

Asher, good stuff.  Did Beal impress you at all?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Stefen Wisniewski, G/C, Penn State He's more likely than Pouncey, IMO. He's played all three interior line positions. Wisniewski does not quite have as much size as Pouncey, but has better athleticism. He's closer to the mold of a Stephen Neal or Logan Mankins than Pouncey who would probably be switched out to tackle in Foxboro, yet not really have the athleticism that this team likes to have even at that position.

Wisniewski also has great bloodlines (father/uncle played in the league) and program pedigree and IMO, NE could us an upgrade in depth/talent along the interior OL, especially with the uncertain future of Mankins.