2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

Can somebody provide more detail around the durability concerns with Castonzo?  He started as a 250 pound freshman, has 54 career starts (a BC record) and I don't see that he missed a game in his last 3 seasons at there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]Can somebody provide more detail around the durability concerns with Castonzo?  He started as a 250 pound freshman, has 54 career starts (a BC record) and I don't see that he missed a game in his last 3 seasons at there.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I was surprised to hear there were some concerns as well.  heard it on last night's path to the draft I believe, point was made he has had a number issues, back, foot and I think a few others were mentioned.  Point was made the it could raise a flag for longivity of career.  I had not heard about this too much until last night. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f3cdac/Injury-concerns-for-2011-prospects?module=HP_video

1:23 into the video.

Thought, some teams have been known to put stuff out there for a player to drop to them.  The former GM gets his info from talking to current GMs, wonder if some bad stuff is getting out for a team to have a shot at this player. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Heard it on last night's path to the draft I believe, point was made he has had a number of back issues.  might not have kept him from games but has bothered him.  I had not heard about this too much until last night.  I'll see if that section of the show in one NFL network and post. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'd like to see.  Though even then I'd be a bit skeptical, especially considering the proximity to the draft.  If his back was this bad, wouldn't this have been news a while back? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Thanks, I'd like to see.  Though even then I'd be a bit skeptical, especially considering the proximity to the draft.  If his back was this bad, wouldn't this have been news a while back? 

I updated my original post, had an after thought.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I updated my original post, had an after thought.

Thanks man, I'll take a peek.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

We are exicited about the draft possibilities....http://www.60maxpowero.com/ has a good draft coverage check em out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Eastern Washington RB Taiwan Jones ran the forty-yard dash at 4.32 - 4.35 seconds at Thursday's Pro Day workout.

Jones reportedly clocked between 4.29 and 4.35 on all stopwatches. It's an emphatic sign that he's fully recovered from late-season foot surgery. Checking in at 6'1", 196 pounds with "nary an ounce of body fat," Jones also recorded an impressive 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot broad jump -- just five inches short of the record. Jones is the most explosive athlete in this year's running back class. Thursday's performance, in front of representatives from 26 teams, should lock him into the draft's second day. His stock is skyrocketing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With 2 weeks left and more news breaking out about injury concerns and more red flags popping up here's my best 32 mock draft

#1 Car Cam Newton QB - Car needs a QB and needs to get their fan base excited again. Newton fills both with his big name as well as potential but if he ever lives up to it is anyone's guess.

#2 Den Marcell Dareus DT/DE - Den is a 43 no wait a 34 no wait a 43. Who knows what is going on in the mile high but they need pass rushers and serious line help. This is an easy pick

#3 Buf Von Miller LB - I originally had them taking a QB but with reports they might be alright with their ivy leaguer (who I like a lot) they fix that poor rushing D. buf had the 2nd worst rushing D in the league and with Brady and Sanchez in the division getting to the QB is paramount

#4 Cin AJ Green WR - Mike Brown is a stubborn vengeful owner who is more opt to want to stick it to Palmer then not. So they take the best WR here and might look for a QB in round 2

#5 Ari Blaine Gabbert QB - Ari is sad that Von Miller is gone but pleasantly shocked that Gabbert made it to them. It's an easy pick for them

#6 Cle Patrick Peterson CB - Cle has a history of bad pick after bad pick so they finally take a safe pick with the person who might be the best of the draft

#7 SF  Prince Amu CB - SF was hoping Cle would pass on Peterson but Amu as a consolation prize works for them

#8 Tenn Nick Fairley DE - Despite the red flags tenn doesn't seem to really care how most of their players act. Fairley is a boom or bust player and Tenn likes to gamble

#9 Dal Tyron Smith OT - Way to early for a T you say? I agree but there new coach is O minded and they need to protect Romo. Most agree trading out of the top 10 is difficult at best but at least they get their T to build around

#10 Was Julio Jones WR - Was needs everything but a franchise WR is a good place to start. Now if only they could replace their entire D and QB with this one pick too

#11 Hou Robert Quinn LB - Hou can't believe that he made it out of the top 10 and gladly scopes up the high talent LB that could make their D

#12 Minn Jake Locker QB - Minn loves Locker and rumor is that Mia, Sea, and yes even Indy could be looking for a new QB. There's also BB and his mind tricks that makes Minn believe that Locker won't make it to the late 1st yet alone the 2nd

#13 NE J.J. Watt DE - NE makes the first trade of the draft moving up 4 spots giving up a 4th to get it done. Det is looking T and with concerns over Castonzo's injury there is no T worth spending #13 on so they gladly move back picking up an extra pick. It was a hard choice between Jordan and Watt truthfully but Watt is a better rusher while Jordan is more stout in the run game. NE moves up here to prevent SD from doing the same or risking Watt not making it past Stl or Jax

#14 Stl Corey Liuget DT - Stl needs someone they can put next to Long and Liuget seems like a perfect fit for their scheme. He can stay inside or move outside either way he takes on blockers and pushes them backwards which should take the pressure off Long and open him up more

#15 Mia Ryan Mallett QB - I can hear it now, Huh, really? Rumors out there are that Mia loves the kid but are trying to play it off that they wouldn't take him at 15, only if they trade down. It smells like they want Mallett but know they could get him a couple spots down. The problem being they have no 2nd round pick to trade back into the 1st and at 15 it's hard to see who someone would want to trade all the way up for. With so many QB needy teams out there Mia decides not to risk it if they can't get a trade done and gets their QB.

#16 Jax Aldon Smith DE/OLB - In Jax system Smith is a perfect flex player that can line up at 43 or drop back to OLB in exotic blitzes. Perfect fit for them

#17 Det Anthony Castonzo OT - #13 was to high to take a chance on Castonzo but at #17 he's an instant upgrade to protect their franchise player

#18 SD Jordan Cameron DE - SD takes NE's sloppy seconds and likes it. I think they would have preferred Watt but they aren't disappointed in Jordan falling to them

#19 NYG Mike Pouncey OG - NYG need some major O line help. Do go interior or exterior? Carimi and Solder are still on the board but they take the one who could become a dominant G in Pouncey

#20 TB Justin Houston DE/OLB - Like Jax Houston fits TB to a T and it seems like TB is drooling over the kid. It will be hard to pass of Kerrigan but once TB gets fixated on a player he's theirs

#21 KC Phil Taylor NT - KC needs a NT to anchor their D and taylor fits that mold. He's the poor mans Wilfork for the wannabe Patriots

#22 Indy Nate Solder OT - Indy has put up such a smokescreen around what's happening with Manning that people are wondering if they start rebuilding their D or drafting a QB in preparation of losing Manning. However, it seems like a ploy to me and the best way to entice Manning back is to rebuild that line and say we'll do whatever it takes to protect you.

#23 Phi Gabe Camiri OT - Phi is bringing back Vick and they desperately need to protect their investment. Camiri is the best OL left on the board so they gladly take him

#24 NO Da'Quan Bowers DL - NO has tasted success and wants to get back but their D is preventing it. Bowers fall from grace finally ends here with NO willing to take the risk on a player once considered a possible #1 pick to fix their D

#25 Sea Christian Ponder QB - Sea needs a lot of things but the biggest is QB. They tasted the playoffs and know they won't get a chance at another QB in the 2nd so they grab Ponder here.

#26 Bal Cameron Heyward DE - His name has been placed with Bal for some time now. They could go CB but with Smith's character concerns Heyward is the safer bet

#27 Atl Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB - Alt is looking for a new DE who can drop back to a OLB when needed. Even though Kerrigan doesn't completely have the ability to drop back and cover he has shown that he can adapt and learn quickly. Taking one of the most consistent pass rusher in the draft at #27 is a steal for Alt

#28 NE Brooks Reed OLB - Everyone thinks NE won't keep both picks and many think that a QB hungry team would be ready to move up here but with 5 QB's already gone I can't see to many takers. BB already regrets not taking Matthews and you can easily see the comparison from Reed to Matthews. Pitt, NYJ, GB and Chi could all use Reeds services and it's hard to believe he'd make it past all 4 to #33 so NE grabs their fabled pass rushing OLB here choosing to tade back #33 instead

#29 Chi Danny Watkins G/T - Even with Sherrod on the board Watkins is someone who can step in day 1 and instantly upgrade the Bears O line which needs desperate help in both G and T positions

#30 NYJ Muhammad Wilkerson DE - Rexy needs more bigger lineman and can work with someone who as the right tools to turn them into a force. Wilkerson is a boom or back-up player. He has the ability to become a very solid 5 tech DE and at worst I see him as a back-up. He's the type of player Rexy would love to coach up to his potential

#31 Pitt Derek Sherrod T - Pitt's T's are bad and it's getting Big Ben hit more then he should. They gladly take the last major T off the board

#32 GB Adrian Clayborn - GB needs to replace one of it's linemen (RE specifically) for obvious reasons. Clayborn has a ton of talent if he's put in the right situation with the right team. It just so happens a team with a need for a RE is looking in his direction. This is a good situation for GB and for Clayborn to be used to his maximum effectiveness

Just because NE has pick #33 I'll toss this one in as well

#33 Was Colin Kaepernick QB - With 5 QB's gone in the 1st round and only Dalton and Kaepernick worth considering in the 2nd Was see's Tenn, Cinn, SF, and Buf all who might grab what's left over in front of them. Was makes the big move up paying more then they should. What did they give up? Since they have no 3rd and their 1st next year has to be included to get a QB they trade #41, #144 and their 1st next year and get back #33 and #74. It's  win win for both sides as Was gets a new QB to complement there new WR, still gets a chance to grab someone with an early 3rd and NE gets a 1st round pick that most likely will be a early to mid teen pick next year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

With 2 weeks left and more news breaking out about injury concerns and more red flags popping up here's my best 32 mock draft #1 Car Cam Newton QB - Car needs a QB and needs to get their fan base excited again. Newton fills both with his big name as well as potential but if he ever lives up to it is anyone's guess. #2 Den Marcell Dareus DT/DE - Den is a 43 no wait a 34 no wait a 43. Who knows what is going on in the mile high but they need pass rushers and serious line help. This is an easy pick #3 Buf Von Miller LB - I originally had them taking a QB but with reports they might be alright with their ivy leaguer (who I like a lot) they fix that poor rushing D. buf had the 2nd worst rushing D in the league and with Brady and Sanchez in the division getting to the QB is paramount #4 Cin AJ Green WR - Mike Brown is a stubborn vengeful owner who is more opt to want to stick it to Palmer then not. So they take the best WR here and might look for a QB in round 2 #5 Ari Blaine Gabbert QB - Ari is sad that Von Miller is gone but pleasantly shocked that Gabbert made it to them. It's an easy pick for them #6 Cle Patrick Peterson CB - Cle has a history of bad pick after bad pick so they finally take a safe pick with the person who might be the best of the draft #7 SF  Prince Amu CB - SF was hoping Cle would pass on Peterson but Amu as a consolation prize works for them #8 Tenn Nick Fairley DE - Despite the red flags tenn doesn't seem to really care how most of their players act. Fairley is a boom or bust player and Tenn likes to gamble #9 Dal Tyron Smith OT - Way to early for a T you say? I agree but there new coach is O minded and they need to protect Romo. Most agree trading out of the top 10 is difficult at best but at least they get their T to build around #10 Was Julio Jones WR - Was needs everything but a franchise WR is a good place to start. Now if only they could replace their entire D and QB with this one pick too #11 Hou Robert Quinn LB - Hou can't believe that he made it out of the top 10 and gladly scopes up the high talent LB that could make their D #12 Minn Jake Locker QB - Minn loves Locker and rumor is that Mia, Sea, and yes even Indy could be looking for a new QB. There's also BB and his mind tricks that makes Minn believe that Locker won't make it to the late 1st yet alone the 2nd #13 NE J.J. Watt DE - NE makes the first trade of the draft moving up 4 spots giving up a 4th to get it done. Det is looking T and with concerns over Castonzo's injury there is no T worth spending #13 on so they gladly move back picking up an extra pick. It was a hard choice between Jordan and Watt truthfully but Watt is a better rusher while Jordan is more stout in the run game. NE moves up here to prevent SD from doing the same or risking Watt not making it past Stl or Jax #14 Stl Corey Liuget DT - Stl needs someone they can put next to Long and Liuget seems like a perfect fit for their scheme. He can stay inside or move outside either way he takes on blockers and pushes them backwards which should take the pressure off Long and open him up more #15 Mia Ryan Mallett QB - I can hear it now, Huh, really? Rumors out there are that Mia loves the kid but are trying to play it off that they wouldn't take him at 15, only if they trade down. It smells like they want Mallett but know they could get him a couple spots down. The problem being they have no 2nd round pick to trade back into the 1st and at 15 it's hard to see who someone would want to trade all the way up for. With so many QB needy teams out there Mia decides not to risk it if they can't get a trade done and gets their QB. #16 Jax Aldon Smith DE/OLB - In Jax system Smith is a perfect flex player that can line up at 43 or drop back to OLB in exotic blitzes. Perfect fit for them #17 Det Anthony Castonzo OT - #13 was to high to take a chance on Castonzo but at #17 he's an instant upgrade to protect their franchise player #18 SD Jordan Cameron DE - SD takes NE's sloppy seconds and likes it. I think they would have preferred Watt but they aren't disappointed in Jordan falling to them #19 NYG Mike Pouncey OG - NYG need some major O line help. Do go interior or exterior? Carimi and Solder are still on the board but they take the one who could become a dominant G in Pouncey #20 TB Justin Houston DE/OLB - Like Jax Houston fits TB to a T and it seems like TB is drooling over the kid. It will be hard to pass of Kerrigan but once TB gets fixated on a player he's theirs #21 KC Phil Taylor NT - KC needs a NT to anchor their D and taylor fits that mold. He's the poor mans Wilfork for the wannabe Patriots #22 Indy Nate Solder OT - Indy has put up such a smokescreen around what's happening with Manning that people are wondering if they start rebuilding their D or drafting a QB in preparation of losing Manning. However, it seems like a ploy to me and the best way to entice Manning back is to rebuild that line and say we'll do whatever it takes to protect you. #23 Phi Gabe Camiri OT - Phi is bringing back Vick and they desperately need to protect their investment. Camiri is the best OL left on the board so they gladly take him #24 NO Da'Quan Bowers DL - NO has tasted success and wants to get back but their D is preventing it. Bowers fall from grace finally ends here with NO willing to take the risk on a player once considered a possible #1 pick to fix their D #25 Sea Christian Ponder QB - Sea needs a lot of things but the biggest is QB. They tasted the playoffs and know they won't get a chance at another QB in the 2nd so they grab Ponder here. #26 Bal Cameron Heyward DE - His name has been placed with Bal for some time now. They could go CB but with Smith's character concerns Heyward is the safer bet #27 Atl Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB - Alt is looking for a new DE who can drop back to a OLB when needed. Even though Kerrigan doesn't completely have the ability to drop back and cover he has shown that he can adapt and learn quickly. Taking one of the most consistent pass rusher in the draft at #27 is a steal for Alt #28 NE Brooks Reed OLB - Everyone thinks NE won't keep both picks and many think that a QB hungry team would be ready to move up here but with 5 QB's already gone I can't see to many takers. BB already regrets not taking Matthews and you can easily see the comparison from Reed to Matthews. Pitt, NYJ, GB and Chi could all use Reeds services and it's hard to believe he'd make it past all 4 to #33 so NE grabs their fabled pass rushing OLB here choosing to tade back #33 instead #29 Chi Danny Watkins G/T - Even with Sherrod on the board Watkins is someone who can step in day 1 and instantly upgrade the Bears O line which needs desperate help in both G and T positions #30 NYJ Muhammad Wilkerson DE - Rexy needs more bigger lineman and can work with someone who as the right tools to turn them into a force. Wilkerson is a boom or back-up player. He has the ability to become a very solid 5 tech DE and at worst I see him as a back-up. He's the type of player Rexy would love to coach up to his potential #31 Pitt Derek Sherrod T - Pitt's T's are bad and it's getting Big Ben hit more then he should. They gladly take the last major T off the board #32 GB Adrian Clayborn - GB needs to replace one of it's linemen (RE specifically) for obvious reasons. Clayborn has a ton of talent if he's put in the right situation with the right team. It just so happens a team with a need for a RE is looking in his direction. This is a good situation for GB and for Clayborn to be used to his maximum effectiveness Just because NE has pick #33 I'll toss this one in as well #33 Was Colin Kaepernick QB - With 5 QB's gone in the 1st round and only Dalton and Kaepernick worth considering in the 2nd Was see's Tenn, Cinn, SF, and Buf all who might grab what's left over in front of them. Was makes the big move up paying more then they should. What did they give up? Since they have no 3rd and their 1st next year has to be included to get a QB they trade #41, #144 and their 1st next year and get back #33 and #74. It's  win win for both sides as Was gets a new QB to complement there new WR, still gets a chance to grab someone with an early 3rd and NE gets a 1st round pick that most likely will be a early to mid teen pick next year
    Posted by PatsEng

I actually like this mock a lot. I do question 5 QB's taken in round 1, but perhaps the lack of a CBA will force the hand of many teams. Moving up 4 spots to 13 and only giving up a 4th is liveable. Walking out of round 1 with Watt and Reed would be very nice. I like the 33 trade to Washington, but I wonder if it did happen, if they would take Dalton over Kapernick? I think Shanahan really likes Dalton.
    So, we have #41 and 60 left in round 2. Do you plan on continuing?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Taiwan Jones - RB - Player Eastern Washington RB Taiwan Jones ran the forty-yard dash at 4.32 - 4.35 seconds at Thursday's Pro Day workout. Jones reportedly clocked between 4.29 and 4.35 on all stopwatches. It's an emphatic sign that he's fully recovered from late-season foot surgery. Checking in at 6'1", 196 pounds with "nary an ounce of body fat," Jones also recorded an impressive 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot broad jump -- just five inches short of the record. Jones is the most explosive athlete in this year's running back class. Thursday's performance, in front of representatives from 26 teams, should lock him into the draft's second day. His stock is skyrocketing
    Mayock has been talking him up too as a potential late round steal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Mayock has been talking him up too as a potential late round steal.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzCwMlMoeQo

Skiny legs!  He seems to catch a lot of short passes, he would need IMO get stronger.  Looks a little delicate?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I actually like this mock a lot. I do question 5 QB's taken in round 1, but perhaps the lack of a CBA will force the hand of many teams. Moving up 4 spots to 13 and only giving up a 4th is liveable. Walking out of round 1 with Watt and Reed would be very nice. I like the 33 trade to Washington, but I wonder if it did happen, if they would take Dalton over Kapernick? I think Shanahan really likes Dalton. So, we have #41 and 60 left in round 2. Do you plan on continuing?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm going to go a full 2 rounds but I'm going to have to think about it a bit further then at work. I hear you on the 5 QB's going but just looking at it Minn really likes Locker, I think they have him as the 3rd best QB. Mia, Indy, Sea, and the Pats are looking at Locker although I doubt either Indy or the Pats take him there is a very real possibility Sea would rather have Locker over Ponder and would take him. Since Minn has no 3rd this year in order to move ahead of Sea it would take their 1st next year and their 2nd this year. Would they be willing to give all that up I'm not convinced they would. Their other option is to move back but they might have a hard time finding a buyer. The Pats could become a buyer but I think they wouldn't offer more then a 4th given that 1 of Kerrigan, Watt, or Jordan will most likely be at #17. Is that a deal Minn would take?

Mia is a team that I think will reach for a QB. The more I think about it the more I realize Ingram isn't an option for them at 15 and Pouncey might not be one either without a QB. They have no 2nd this year so it might be difficult for them to move back into the first. When they said they would take Mallett if they could move back tells me that they want the kid but are tossing a neon sign out saying we don't want to pick at 15 it is for sale. The problem being who's at 15 worth taking? Pouncey, maybe but you're looking at Pitt, NYG, and Indy as possible landing spots and neither Indy or Pitt enjoy moving up. Jordan/Watt/Kerrigan, I think 2 will be there but again who wants to move up to grab them. TB seems set on Houston at this point and KC with Taylor. NYG, Phi, Indy all look like OL picks. That leaves NO and back as possible trade partners. How much would it take to move up 10 spots and would it be worth it to grab one of them verses a Heyward, Wilkerson, Bowers, Ayers, Clayborn or Reed? Camiri/Castonzo, it's a possibility but again the major ones looking for a T are Indy, Phi, NYG and is there a big enough difference between Camiri, an injuried Castonzo, or Solder to justify that big of a move up?

Sea is where the 5 QB's could get bogged down but when you are rebuilding an entire team you have to start at QB.

I could see Was taking Dalton instead but doesn't change why they would move up. Same affect they need to move ahead of the other teams to get a QB.

Truthfully even when I was thinking about this I was saying in the back of my mind could this really happen? And the more I thought about it the more it made sense to me

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]With 2 weeks left and more news breaking out about injury concerns and more red flags popping up here's my best 32 mock draft #1 Car Cam Newton QB - Car needs a QB and needs to get their fan base excited again. Newton fills both with his big name as well as potential but if he ever lives up to it is anyone's guess. #2 Den Marcell Dareus DT/DE - Den is a 43 no wait a 34 no wait a 43. Who knows what is going on in the mile high but they need pass rushers and serious line help. This is an easy pick #3 Buf Von Miller LB - I originally had them taking a QB but with reports they might be alright with their ivy leaguer (who I like a lot) they fix that poor rushing D. buf had the 2nd worst rushing D in the league and with Brady and Sanchez in the division getting to the QB is paramount #4 Cin AJ Green WR - Mike Brown is a stubborn vengeful owner who is more opt to want to stick it to Palmer then not. So they take the best WR here and might look for a QB in round 2 #5 Ari Blaine Gabbert QB - Ari is sad that Von Miller is gone but pleasantly shocked that Gabbert made it to them. It's an easy pick for them #6 Cle Patrick Peterson CB - Cle has a history of bad pick after bad pick so they finally take a safe pick with the person who might be the best of the draft #7 SF  Prince Amu CB - SF was hoping Cle would pass on Peterson but Amu as a consolation prize works for them #8 Tenn Nick Fairley DE - Despite the red flags tenn doesn't seem to really care how most of their players act. Fairley is a boom or bust player and Tenn likes to gamble #9 Dal Tyron Smith OT - Way to early for a T you say? I agree but there new coach is O minded and they need to protect Romo. Most agree trading out of the top 10 is difficult at best but at least they get their T to build around #10 Was Julio Jones WR - Was needs everything but a franchise WR is a good place to start. Now if only they could replace their entire D and QB with this one pick too #11 Hou Robert Quinn LB - Hou can't believe that he made it out of the top 10 and gladly scopes up the high talent LB that could make their D #12 Minn Jake Locker QB - Minn loves Locker and rumor is that Mia, Sea, and yes even Indy could be looking for a new QB. There's also BB and his mind tricks that makes Minn believe that Locker won't make it to the late 1st yet alone the 2nd #13 NE J.J. Watt DE - NE makes the first trade of the draft moving up 4 spots giving up a 4th to get it done. Det is looking T and with concerns over Castonzo's injury there is no T worth spending #13 on so they gladly move back picking up an extra pick. It was a hard choice between Jordan and Watt truthfully but Watt is a better rusher while Jordan is more stout in the run game. NE moves up here to prevent SD from doing the same or risking Watt not making it past Stl or Jax #14 Stl Corey Liuget DT - Stl needs someone they can put next to Long and Liuget seems like a perfect fit for their scheme. He can stay inside or move outside either way he takes on blockers and pushes them backwards which should take the pressure off Long and open him up more #15 Mia Ryan Mallett QB - I can hear it now, Huh, really? Rumors out there are that Mia loves the kid but are trying to play it off that they wouldn't take him at 15, only if they trade down. It smells like they want Mallett but know they could get him a couple spots down. The problem being they have no 2nd round pick to trade back into the 1st and at 15 it's hard to see who someone would want to trade all the way up for. With so many QB needy teams out there Mia decides not to risk it if they can't get a trade done and gets their QB. #16 Jax Aldon Smith DE/OLB - In Jax system Smith is a perfect flex player that can line up at 43 or drop back to OLB in exotic blitzes. Perfect fit for them #17 Det Anthony Castonzo OT - #13 was to high to take a chance on Castonzo but at #17 he's an instant upgrade to protect their franchise player #18 SD Jordan Cameron DE - SD takes NE's sloppy seconds and likes it. I think they would have preferred Watt but they aren't disappointed in Jordan falling to them #19 NYG Mike Pouncey OG - NYG need some major O line help. Do go interior or exterior? Carimi and Solder are still on the board but they take the one who could become a dominant G in Pouncey #20 TB Justin Houston DE/OLB - Like Jax Houston fits TB to a T and it seems like TB is drooling over the kid. It will be hard to pass of Kerrigan but once TB gets fixated on a player he's theirs #21 KC Phil Taylor NT - KC needs a NT to anchor their D and taylor fits that mold. He's the poor mans Wilfork for the wannabe Patriots #22 Indy Nate Solder OT - Indy has put up such a smokescreen around what's happening with Manning that people are wondering if they start rebuilding their D or drafting a QB in preparation of losing Manning. However, it seems like a ploy to me and the best way to entice Manning back is to rebuild that line and say we'll do whatever it takes to protect you. #23 Phi Gabe Camiri OT - Phi is bringing back Vick and they desperately need to protect their investment. Camiri is the best OL left on the board so they gladly take him #24 NO Da'Quan Bowers DL - NO has tasted success and wants to get back but their D is preventing it. Bowers fall from grace finally ends here with NO willing to take the risk on a player once considered a possible #1 pick to fix their D #25 Sea Christian Ponder QB - Sea needs a lot of things but the biggest is QB. They tasted the playoffs and know they won't get a chance at another QB in the 2nd so they grab Ponder here. #26 Bal Cameron Heyward DE - His name has been placed with Bal for some time now. They could go CB but with Smith's character concerns Heyward is the safer bet #27 Atl Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB - Alt is looking for a new DE who can drop back to a OLB when needed. Even though Kerrigan doesn't completely have the ability to drop back and cover he has shown that he can adapt and learn quickly. Taking one of the most consistent pass rusher in the draft at #27 is a steal for Alt #28 NE Brooks Reed OLB - Everyone thinks NE won't keep both picks and many think that a QB hungry team would be ready to move up here but with 5 QB's already gone I can't see to many takers. BB already regrets not taking Matthews and you can easily see the comparison from Reed to Matthews. Pitt, NYJ, GB and Chi could all use Reeds services and it's hard to believe he'd make it past all 4 to #33 so NE grabs their fabled pass rushing OLB here choosing to tade back #33 instead #29 Chi Danny Watkins G/T - Even with Sherrod on the board Watkins is someone who can step in day 1 and instantly upgrade the Bears O line which needs desperate help in both G and T positions #30 NYJ Muhammad Wilkerson DE - Rexy needs more bigger lineman and can work with someone who as the right tools to turn them into a force. Wilkerson is a boom or back-up player. He has the ability to become a very solid 5 tech DE and at worst I see him as a back-up. He's the type of player Rexy would love to coach up to his potential #31 Pitt Derek Sherrod T - Pitt's T's are bad and it's getting Big Ben hit more then he should. They gladly take the last major T off the board #32 GB Adrian Clayborn - GB needs to replace one of it's linemen (RE specifically) for obvious reasons. Clayborn has a ton of talent if he's put in the right situation with the right team. It just so happens a team with a need for a RE is looking in his direction. This is a good situation for GB and for Clayborn to be used to his maximum effectiveness Just because NE has pick #33 I'll toss this one in as well #33 Was Colin Kaepernick QB - With 5 QB's gone in the 1st round and only Dalton and Kaepernick worth considering in the 2nd Was see's Tenn, Cinn, SF, and Buf all who might grab what's left over in front of them. Was makes the big move up paying more then they should. What did they give up? Since they have no 3rd and their 1st next year has to be included to get a QB they trade #41, #144 and their 1st next year and get back #33 and #74. It's  win win for both sides as Was gets a new QB to complement there new WR, still gets a chance to grab someone with an early 3rd and NE gets a 1st round pick that most likely will be a early to mid teen pick next year
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I think its a good mock but a point on Watt vs Jordan, I kind of see it the opposite.

Jordan is the pass rusher of the two, he won't use much power as he'll use quickness to disrupt although he is able to hold his spot but his strength is speed. 
    Watt IMO is stronger at the POA but doesn't have the same quickness Jordan has off the ball. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Thursday night football just got so much better!  I enjoy listening to Mayock, he wasn't a great player but has turned into a heck of an analyst.

According to SI.com's Richard Deitsch, Mike Mayock will replace Joe Theismann and Matt Millen on NFL Network's eight-game Thursday night football package this season.

Chris Wesseling, who has covered Thursday night games for Rotoworld the past couple of seasons, is dancing a jig in celebration. The league snubbed excellent in-house candidate Mayock in favor of the brutal Theismann/Millen duo last year, a sign the network was more concerned with "names" than quality. They learned their lesson, likely after just one game's worth of Theismann's goofy pontifications. Gus Johnson, the man who inspired the "Law of Gus" for close games, is also a candidate to replace play-by-play man Bob Papa.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Thursday night football just got so much better!  I enjoy listening to Mayock, he wasn't a great player but has turned into a heck of an analyst. According to SI.com's Richard Deitsch, Mike Mayock will replace Joe Theismann and Matt Millen on NFL Network's eight-game Thursday night football package this season. Chris Wesseling, who has covered Thursday night games for Rotoworld the past couple of seasons, is dancing a jig in celebration. The league snubbed excellent in-house candidate Mayock in favor of the brutal Theismann/Millen duo last year, a sign the network was more concerned with "names" than quality. They learned their lesson, likely after just one game's worth of Theismann's goofy pontifications. Gus Johnson, the man who inspired the "Law of Gus" for close games, is also a candidate to replace play-by-play man Bob Papa.

He did the ND games on NBC last season as well (I'm a huge ND guy), wonder if that will change.  I too like him as an analyst. 

I didn't mind Papa, he's being replaced too?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Thursday night football just got so much better!  I enjoy listening to Mayock, he wasn't a great player but has turned into a heck of an analyst. According to SI.com's Richard Deitsch, Mike Mayock will replace Joe Theismann and Matt Millen on NFL Network's eight-game Thursday night football package this season. Chris Wesseling, who has covered Thursday night games for Rotoworld the past couple of seasons, is dancing a jig in celebration. The league snubbed excellent in-house candidate Mayock in favor of the brutal Theismann/Millen duo last year, a sign the network was more concerned with "names" than quality. They learned their lesson, likely after just one game's worth of Theismann's goofy pontifications. Gus Johnson, the man who inspired the "Law of Gus" for close games, is also a candidate to replace play-by-play man Bob Papa.

He did the ND games on NBC last season as well (I'm a huge ND guy), wonder if that will change.  I too like him as an analyst. 

I didn't mind Papa, he's being replaced too?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : He did the ND games on NBC last season as well (I'm a huge ND guy), wonder if that will change.  I too like him as an analyst.  I didn't mind Papa, he's being replaced too?

That's what it sounded like, I didn't mind him but I cannot stand the other two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Mayock has been talking him up too as a potential late round steal.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

The player rep for Taiwan Jones said after Thursday's Pro Day workout that the Eastern Washington star is just "90-percent" recovered from late-season foot surgery.

The agent can afford to be honest after Jones hit a homerun in the workout. Durability concerns remain the No. 1 knock on Jones heading into the draft, though. Up to 196 pounds after playing at 178 last season, Jones is still slight of build with an upright running style. His college career featured a fractured fibula, an abdominal bruise and surgery for a sports hernia.
    Apr 14, 5:25 PM

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Thanks, I'd like to see.  Though even then I'd be a bit skeptical, especially considering the proximity to the draft.  If his back was this bad, wouldn't this have been news a while back? 

Smells of purposeful misinformation to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Taiwan Jones - RB - Player The player rep for Taiwan Jones said after Thursday's Pro Day workout that the Eastern Washington star is just "90-percent" recovered from late-season foot surgery. The agent can afford to be honest after Jones hit a homerun in the workout. Durability concerns remain the No. 1 knock on Jones heading into the draft, though. Up to 196 pounds after playing at 178 last season, Jones is still slight of build with an upright running style. His college career featured a fractured fibula, an abdominal bruise and surgery for a sports hernia. Source: CSN Bay Area Apr 14, 5:25 PM

To add on to your durability points . He "supposedly" has major fumbling issues. I have not check that myself. Just repeating what heard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Wow, finally, I thought I was going to be the only one with questions about Watt.

Today during discussions with Wes Bunting a fellow scout questions Watts fit in NE stating that Watt gets washed away commonly on film when facing a double while on the inside.

I would never bet against the kid as he's a tremendous athlete with a lot of effort and love for the game.

However I still have rarely see anything during any of his games that resembles what he will be asked to do here in NE. The few rare times you do see it the results are not pretty.

That's still a concern for me because we all talk about the projection from 43 DE to 34 OLB but for me Watt is a similar albeit less projection. He would still be playing DL but without being able to watch film of him playing on the inside taking on single and double blockers, watching him anchor, find the ball, then shed to tackle all while being consistently successful at it is a concern for me.

Its just unknown and a projection based on his size and athleticism, etc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** :  To add on to your durability points . He "supposedly" has major fumbling issues. I have not check that myself. Just repeating what heard.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Thanks Low, fragile and fumbler that's enough for me. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

if the nfl and the players agree to a rookie pay scale next year the patriots could be the smartest team in the league bytrading picks to land a couple of first rounders next year. imagine trading with qb hungry teams like washington, sf, tenn who in all right and intentions will suck this year, and having a top ten pick or 2 top 10 picks in 2012 with a rookiw pay scale!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, finally, I thought I was going to be the only one with questions about Watt. Today during discussions with Wes Bunting a fellow scout questions Watts fit in NE stating that Watt gets washed away commonly on film when facing a double while on the inside. I would never bet against the kid as he's a tremendous athlete with a lot of effort and love for the game. However I still have rarely see anything during any of his games that resembles what he will be asked to do here in NE. The few rare times you do see it the results are not pretty. That's still a concern for me because we all talk about the projection from 43 DE to 34 OLB but for me Watt is a similar albeit less projection. He would still be playing DL but without being able to watch film of him playing on the inside taking on single and double blockers, watching him anchor, find the ball, then shed to tackle all while being consistently successful at it is a concern for me. Its just unknown and a projection based on his size and athleticism, etc.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    Watt isn't Wilfork.  I would expect him to struggle inside against double teams.  We wouldn't be drafting Watt to play 43 DT.  Personally, I'd leave him outside in a 43 and let him stay one-on-one against the tackle.  His long arms will bat down a lot of passes.  He had 6 batted balls last year which are nearly as good as a sack.  A sack ends a drive 83% of the time.  A batted ball on 3rd down would end a drive 100% of the time unless they go for it on 4th down.  Like a sack, a batted ball could lead to a turn over.  Jordan wouldn't be moving inside either IMO.

The point is probably moot because I doubt BB would draft a Condon represented player even with a rookie cap because he will have to deal with him in 5 years.  I think we are going OL with that top pick, wherever it is, then trading down with one or both of 28/33.  That's just my gut feeling.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hey guys how about some players outside the first round you specifically like , WHY and how they fit in the patriots offensive, defensive, or special teams systems? ....also who exactly on the roster is that player that you like taking the place of?

Sorry but the 1st round talk is beat to death.

Sections
Shortcuts