2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    Hey guys how about some players outside the first round you specifically like , WHY and how they fit in the patriots offensive, defensive, or special teams systems? ....also who exactly on the roster is that player that you like taking the place of? Sorry but the 1st round talk is beat to death.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Will give you two guys but have to think who's place they could take on the roster.  Good post IQ, I really like talking about those guys in the 4th-7th.  The guys who come in ready to fight because they know they need to work their butts off to make a roster spot.

Justin Rogers CB, this guy is a Division II shutdown CB.  5'10.5 188lbs 4.4 40 very good instincts.  I've been mocking him and the next player as late round picks.

So why rogers, I believe he would compete for the #4 CB spot and he's a very good return guy.  Can play zone but excellent cover CB, good back pedal stays low and breaks well on the ball.  Good ball skills, 7 INTs in 08 in 09 and 10 QBs stopped throwing his way.  Two years who knows could develop into a #2 or #3.

I don't think it is a secret I don't like Merri so always looking for a cheap developmental kid.  I think I found a good one!
    Mark LeGree, another kid I've been mocking for a few weeks and really like his game.  He's everything Merri is not, diciplined sure tackler and team first guy.  Played for Appalachian State, so yeap I like small school underdogs also.  Anyways, 6'0 210lbs sub 4.5 40.  Ended his career with 22 career INTs.

Where would he fit, practice squad year one.  I would certainly find a place but do not know the status of the 5 safeties on the team.  LeGree IMO could develop into Merri's replacement.  He has the skills, needs pro coaching and learn the system.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    Hey guys how about some players outside the first round you specifically like , WHY and how they fit in the patriots offensive, defensive, or special teams systems? ....also who exactly on the roster is that player that you like taking the place of? Sorry but the 1st round talk is beat to death.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I've made my case for Mason Foster in Rd's 2 or 3, but below are some kids I like and have brought up before:

Randall Cobb
    - I think he immediately upgrades Edelman's roster spot and could be their long term replacement for Welker.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, this kid is a perfect fit for NE's offense predicated on short/intermediate passes that allow players to utilized their RAC ability.

Mike Leshoure- Big tough, powerful back with the size to carry the load between the tackles, also shows upside as a pass catcher. 

Shane Vereen- A good option in Rd 2 or 3 if they pass on RB with one of their first 3 picks.  Decent size kid (5-10- 210) that runs with some good power and burst, solid potential as a pass blocker and catcher,  looks like a versatile kid that could impact the offense in multiple ways. 

Andy Dalton- The heir apparent?  Smart kid, good arm and accuracy, good leadership and character.

Jarvis Jenkins
    - An option in Rd 2 or 3, could be one of the better natural fit's at 34 DE in this class.  Very stout run defender, strong at the POA.

Brooks Reed- Rd 2 is where I think he'll go, enough has been said about him.

Ras-I Dowling- Solid experience CB prospect that could also project to S in NE's scheme.  Good size/speed combo, smart kid, instinctive with the ability to quickly read the play and close, physical, tackles well,  good COD, could be a very good zone CB in their scheme.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by Low-FB-IQ

A couple of guys I'm really excited to see what they can do

Darius Morris G/T - He's played all the line position with the exception of C. He has the size to be either a T or G at the pro level but translates to a G. Needs some footwork but nothing that can't be learned with proper teaching. He has great hands and a great motor. Look for him in the 4-6 range

Vigil Green TE - you fall in love with his triangle numbers. He's extra raw as a TE and a poor route runner but he's big, he's fast, and he has drive, think young Crumpler ceiling. The only questions are can he learn and how quick can he pick it up? Look for him in the 4-6 range

Steven Friday OLB - I don't think this guy is talked about enough. He was able to beat Castonzo making him looking silly at times but he can also drop back and cover. He needs some work and to become more consistent but he could become a late round steal. Look for him in the 5-7 range

Kenny Rowe OLB/S? - This kid is hard to place at 6'2" 230 but he is a scrapper and won't give up on a play. It's hard to believe someone his size with his lack of speed got 15 TFL and 9 sacks but somehow he did. He deserves to have someone find a niche for him. Look for him in the 6-UDFA rang

Ugo Chinasa OLB/DE - He has the size and speed you want out of a OLB and is very fluid in drills. I'd be happy to see him or Friday given a chance to knock TBC off the team. Look for him in th 4-6 range

Jalil Brown CB - Now this is a kid with quick feet and agility that can change direction quickly. He is excellent man to man and would have more int's if he a more confidence in his abilities. Completely underrated CB that should be in the discussion in the 2nd round but most likely will be anywhere from 3rd to 6th round selection

Dwayne Harris WR - We love Welker and Edelman because they don't go down easy and can turn a short gain into a long one. Well Harris is of the same ilk. He's a polished route runner who fights for every inch and can make guys look silly. However, I don't think the Pats are going after another slot guy so some team is going to be very happy if they give him a chance to make plays on the field. Look for him in the 5-7 range

Owen Marecic FB/ILB - Can you say Dan Klecko 2.0? As a FB he's a solid blocker, a hard nosed runner, and has decent hands. As a ILB he hits pockets and stuffs holes. He's a better FB but can fill in at ILB in a pinch. he might go between 3-6

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tyron Smith to visit Foxboro:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/USC-OT-Tyron-Smith-visiting-the-Buccaneers-today-Redskins-Giants-and-Patriots-up-next.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting Tyron Smith in for a visit. I don't think he makes it past Det at the furthest now with injury concerns on Castonzo. Actually I think Dal has his name written all over it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I like a lot of the same guys Mb and PatsEng chose for later on, LeShoure, Cobb, Dalton, Reed, Dowling, Green, Brown, Marecic.  But I want to throw out some other names.  I do think BB is serious about taking a QB.  I think Dalton is football smart as a razor and makes great decisions.  I only saw him in the Rose Bowl and SrB but was very impressed.  I also like Colin Kaepernick.  He might be a little raw but has a great arm, can run and learning behind Brady for a couple years could turn him into something special.  

Orlando Franklin and Marcus Gilbert are a couple of OTs I like as options later on if we don't go for a tackle earlier.  Everyone on here loves Moffitt as do I but I also think Schilling and Wisniewski fit our profile and could be solid options.  I also think Rodney Hudson could be a stud at center for years to come.  I don't worry about his size when I consider he's basically the same size as Jeff Saturday and Wilfork can do nothing with him.  Hudson is smart, tough, plays about as error free as anyone.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

With 2 weeks left and more news breaking out about injury concerns and more red flags popping up here's my best 32 mock draft #1 Car Cam Newton QB - Car needs a QB and needs to get their fan base excited again. Newton fills both with his big name as well as potential but if he ever lives up to it is anyone's guess. #2 Den Marcell Dareus DT/DE - Den is a 43 no wait a 34 no wait a 43. Who knows what is going on in the mile high but they need pass rushers and serious line help. This is an easy pick #3 Buf Von Miller LB - I originally had them taking a QB but with reports they might be alright with their ivy leaguer (who I like a lot) they fix that poor rushing D. buf had the 2nd worst rushing D in the league and with Brady and Sanchez in the division getting to the QB is paramount #4 Cin AJ Green WR - Mike Brown is a stubborn vengeful owner who is more opt to want to stick it to Palmer then not. So they take the best WR here and might look for a QB in round 2 #5 Ari Blaine Gabbert QB - Ari is sad that Von Miller is gone but pleasantly shocked that Gabbert made it to them. It's an easy pick for them #6 Cle Patrick Peterson CB - Cle has a history of bad pick after bad pick so they finally take a safe pick with the person who might be the best of the draft #7 SF  Prince Amu CB - SF was hoping Cle would pass on Peterson but Amu as a consolation prize works for them #8 Tenn Nick Fairley DE - Despite the red flags tenn doesn't seem to really care how most of their players act. Fairley is a boom or bust player and Tenn likes to gamble #9 Dal Tyron Smith OT - Way to early for a T you say? I agree but there new coach is O minded and they need to protect Romo. Most agree trading out of the top 10 is difficult at best but at least they get their T to build around #10 Was Julio Jones WR - Was needs everything but a franchise WR is a good place to start. Now if only they could replace their entire D and QB with this one pick too #11 Hou Robert Quinn LB - Hou can't believe that he made it out of the top 10 and gladly scopes up the high talent LB that could make their D #12 Minn Jake Locker QB - Minn loves Locker and rumor is that Mia, Sea, and yes even Indy could be looking for a new QB. There's also BB and his mind tricks that makes Minn believe that Locker won't make it to the late 1st yet alone the 2nd #13 NE J.J. Watt DE - NE makes the first trade of the draft moving up 4 spots giving up a 4th to get it done. Det is looking T and with concerns over Castonzo's injury there is no T worth spending #13 on so they gladly move back picking up an extra pick. It was a hard choice between Jordan and Watt truthfully but Watt is a better rusher while Jordan is more stout in the run game. NE moves up here to prevent SD from doing the same or risking Watt not making it past Stl or Jax #14 Stl Corey Liuget DT - Stl needs someone they can put next to Long and Liuget seems like a perfect fit for their scheme. He can stay inside or move outside either way he takes on blockers and pushes them backwards which should take the pressure off Long and open him up more #15 Mia Ryan Mallett QB - I can hear it now, Huh, really? Rumors out there are that Mia loves the kid but are trying to play it off that they wouldn't take him at 15, only if they trade down. It smells like they want Mallett but know they could get him a couple spots down. The problem being they have no 2nd round pick to trade back into the 1st and at 15 it's hard to see who someone would want to trade all the way up for. With so many QB needy teams out there Mia decides not to risk it if they can't get a trade done and gets their QB. #16 Jax Aldon Smith DE/OLB - In Jax system Smith is a perfect flex player that can line up at 43 or drop back to OLB in exotic blitzes. Perfect fit for them #17 Det Anthony Castonzo OT - #13 was to high to take a chance on Castonzo but at #17 he's an instant upgrade to protect their franchise player #18 SD Jordan Cameron DE - SD takes NE's sloppy seconds and likes it. I think they would have preferred Watt but they aren't disappointed in Jordan falling to them #19 NYG Mike Pouncey OG - NYG need some major O line help. Do go interior or exterior? Carimi and Solder are still on the board but they take the one who could become a dominant G in Pouncey #20 TB Justin Houston DE/OLB - Like Jax Houston fits TB to a T and it seems like TB is drooling over the kid. It will be hard to pass of Kerrigan but once TB gets fixated on a player he's theirs #21 KC Phil Taylor NT - KC needs a NT to anchor their D and taylor fits that mold. He's the poor mans Wilfork for the wannabe Patriots #22 Indy Nate Solder OT - Indy has put up such a smokescreen around what's happening with Manning that people are wondering if they start rebuilding their D or drafting a QB in preparation of losing Manning. However, it seems like a ploy to me and the best way to entice Manning back is to rebuild that line and say we'll do whatever it takes to protect you. #23 Phi Gabe Camiri OT - Phi is bringing back Vick and they desperately need to protect their investment. Camiri is the best OL left on the board so they gladly take him #24 NO Da'Quan Bowers DL - NO has tasted success and wants to get back but their D is preventing it. Bowers fall from grace finally ends here with NO willing to take the risk on a player once considered a possible #1 pick to fix their D #25 Sea Christian Ponder QB - Sea needs a lot of things but the biggest is QB. They tasted the playoffs and know they won't get a chance at another QB in the 2nd so they grab Ponder here. #26 Bal Cameron Heyward DE - His name has been placed with Bal for some time now. They could go CB but with Smith's character concerns Heyward is the safer bet #27 Atl Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB - Alt is looking for a new DE who can drop back to a OLB when needed. Even though Kerrigan doesn't completely have the ability to drop back and cover he has shown that he can adapt and learn quickly. Taking one of the most consistent pass rusher in the draft at #27 is a steal for Alt #28 NE Brooks Reed OLB - Everyone thinks NE won't keep both picks and many think that a QB hungry team would be ready to move up here but with 5 QB's already gone I can't see to many takers. BB already regrets not taking Matthews and you can easily see the comparison from Reed to Matthews. Pitt, NYJ, GB and Chi could all use Reeds services and it's hard to believe he'd make it past all 4 to #33 so NE grabs their fabled pass rushing OLB here choosing to tade back #33 instead #29 Chi Danny Watkins G/T - Even with Sherrod on the board Watkins is someone who can step in day 1 and instantly upgrade the Bears O line which needs desperate help in both G and T positions #30 NYJ Muhammad Wilkerson DE - Rexy needs more bigger lineman and can work with someone who as the right tools to turn them into a force. Wilkerson is a boom or back-up player. He has the ability to become a very solid 5 tech DE and at worst I see him as a back-up. He's the type of player Rexy would love to coach up to his potential #31 Pitt Derek Sherrod T - Pitt's T's are bad and it's getting Big Ben hit more then he should. They gladly take the last major T off the board #32 GB Adrian Clayborn - GB needs to replace one of it's linemen (RE specifically) for obvious reasons. Clayborn has a ton of talent if he's put in the right situation with the right team. It just so happens a team with a need for a RE is looking in his direction. This is a good situation for GB and for Clayborn to be used to his maximum effectiveness Just because NE has pick #33 I'll toss this one in as well #33 Was Colin Kaepernick QB - With 5 QB's gone in the 1st round and only Dalton and Kaepernick worth considering in the 2nd Was see's Tenn, Cinn, SF, and Buf all who might grab what's left over in front of them. Was makes the big move up paying more then they should. What did they give up? Since they have no 3rd and their 1st next year has to be included to get a QB they trade #41, #144 and their 1st next year and get back #33 and #74. It's  win win for both sides as Was gets a new QB to complement there new WR, still gets a chance to grab someone with an early 3rd and NE gets a 1st round pick that most likely will be a early to mid teen pick next year
    Posted by PatsEng

hey eng, nets 2 of our major 3 needs.

was hoping for watt or jordan, kerrigan and watkins becuase of the g/t versatility, effectiveness and toughness (for our top 3 picks)

if reed can do the job similar to kerrigan on pass rush, i'm on board.

re sd possible move up for one of jordan/watt, i'm sure bb has an idea, and if they are to do so, or there is some other risk from another team, i agree moving up to get our favorite (or at least one we can live with of the 2).

re pouncey, im not such a great fan (to faucet). was reading the top rated draft sites (5 year total and 2010) and one of the top 3, had hudson as the best interior o lineman.

who do you have us getting on offensive line in the rest of the draft? curious

oh just loking closer, see kerrigan just after you give us reed. if there is any difference at all in bb's mind between the 2 and kerrigan is better, i'd try and move up a slot or 2 and get him.

re trade for next years picks, i knwo its what bb does, but i would get all the players i can now so by the end of THIS SEASON, they have the seasoning needed to take a shot THIS YEAR, AND the next 2. so i trade into this year from next if anyone will take picks and steal the best of this years draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbdev1234. Show nbdev1234's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Not hating on you but not sure where you got you info on Kerrigan. From all reports he has multiple movements at the line and uses his hands to great effect. He also isn't overally fast but in the 4.8 range is fast enough to cover TE's and checkdowns (Cunningham has similiar speed). He's not known as a excellent pass rusher as some others but he is known as one of the best all around DE/OLB tweeners. He sets the edge very well in the run game and is very strong at POA. He is good at rushing the passer and has dropped back into coverage when Purdue was running 2-4-5 and 2-5-4 formations. As a DE you are right he wouldn't fit into our system but as a DE/OLB tweener he's a 3 down player that can stop the run, rush the passer, and drop into coverage. He's not the best in the draft at any one area but I would easily put him into the top 3 for best all around DE/OLB
    Posted by PatsEng

Excellent points.  RK is a top 3 OLB/DE, I just don't think for BB, that's all.  If they drafted him I wouldn't be mad, but maybe surprised.  

But maybe they learned from passing on Clay Matthews.  RK is the same type of OLB, maybe even better-suited for the elephant-role / hybrid OLB that BB likes and McGinest perfected.

I think they grab someone like that, but later - maybe Brooks Reed or even Greg Romeus who was injured but may have been a top 30 pick.

I think the fact they already have that hybrid-OLB guy like J.Cunningham means its even more likely that they go after Ayers, a 3 down back that can also seal the edge vs run and maybe a better special-teams player?

Don't be surprised if...well, BB surprises us.  Round 1:  Ingram?  Jones?  Watkins?  I still say they trade down everywhere: beyond the top 12-15, it's not an elite draft but very deep in RD2 - RD3.  Or trade up - 17 & 28 for a 10/11 and a 2nd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I'll add a few names that have not been included in the latest lists from the guys. Overall, I really like some of the names MB, Faucet, Pats, PatsEng have thrown out.

KJ Wright /> I'm curious if we add 1 or 2 OLB's to the team via the draft...Ideally, I would like to see one taken early and one taken in rounds 4-5 for developmental purposes. A guy with value like KJ that may have slipped. I like Wright. I also llike Friday. I'd put these 2 in a similar place in the draft and think both would add somethign to who we have today. of course, the question is who would go?...I'm betting TBC. I think Nink and Cunningham are day 1 starters unless we take an OLB early, but I think KJ adds nice depth.

Buster Skrine /> I know, I know..it's not just his 40 time that is impressive. The kid is strong as an Ox, has good quickness and agility, and I think could be a good cover/zone CB in this league given time. Who goes?....I doubt BB has given up on Butler yet, but I would. He just doesn't seem to have it.Perhaps a PS guy year 1, but I think someone who could add ST value, and good depth at the position.

Daniel Thomas /> I'll take 2 RB's please! I think Thomas brings a different skill set than Woody or BJGE. Big, strong, downhill runner, he is going to get the tough yards and is the big back we  need as a compliment. Who goes? Taylor, Morris, take your pick.

Joseph Barksdale /> Lets add 2 OT's. I think Barksdale is one.  He provides instant depth at RT, possibly even a starter depending on what we do early. Why?...he played against Von Miller, Dareus and other top defenders coming ot this year and held his own quite well. I think he is underrated and thus presents some great value in round 3. Who goes? Kaczur.

Jordan Cameron /> Who?...that's right, the alter ego of Cameron Jordan. If we are looking for a developmental TE later in the draft, I like this kid. Ex basketball player, good athleticsim, still raw, but someone I would invest some time in. Good size, strenght and quickness. He would be one of my PS players...he doesn't displace anyone at the moment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

I don't know if it is a smoke screen but on the Globe video (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/04/nick_caserio_pu.html) one can have a glimpse at the Patriots ranking of QBs (not a need), RBs, FBs (who cares?), WRs, TEs (please Bill, not this year) and OTs.
    It was interesting to see that the top 4 OTs were ranked in that order: Solder, Smith, Carmi, Castonzo. I also found interesting to notice that Baldwin was not among the WRs they would consider...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Low, good idea.

The later round guys I feel could be solid choices are:

Tim Barnes (could replace Koppen after a year)
    Roy Helu (can catch, block, and run between the tackles- eliminates Taylor and Morris)
    Terence Tolliver/Greg Salas (upgrade over Tate, might take 1/2 of the season)

Tyler Sash (I see him on par with Eric Weddle who some have thought we should try to sign)- get rid of Meriweather and work Sash in with Chung and Sanders.

College Stats from ESPN:(3 year totals)

Sash              Weddle                  
    Tackles     216                 215
    Solo          108                 134
    Sacks        1                      6
    FF             3                      3
    Int             13                    15
    Return TD    2                      3 
    Could be argued Big 10 was better competition than the Mountain West, as well.
    I do think Sash is now in the 3rd round....liked it better when he was 4th or beyond.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't know if it is a smoke screen but on the Globe video ( http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/04/nick_caserio_pu.html) one can have a glimpse at the Patriots ranking of QBs (not a need), RBs, FBs (who cares?), WRs, TEs (please Bill, not this year) and OTs. It was interesting to see that the top 4 OTs were ranked in that order: Solder, Smith, Carmi, Castonzo. I also found interesting to notice that Baldwin was not among the WRs they would consider...
    Posted by FrogLegs

I tried your link and can't get it to come up. Can you please resend?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I found the line on extra points and looked at it. I can't imagine the Pats exposing their ranking of players at certain positions. is this anything assuming it is true that could hurt us? It seems like they are just rankings at certain positions, not necessarily how the Pats value them...don't know.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Brd

When looking at the line I see a need at T (either LT or RT depending on where Vollmer lies), G (at least LG because I don't think Mankins will be around past this year, maybe RG but Connolly looked decent this year an might be able to hold the position down for another year), and C (Koppens future replacement).

The problem is I think Tyron Smith is gone with Dal or Det and Castonzo has injury concerns. On top of the injury concerns if people don't think BB will go after Watt because of his agent Castonzo has the same guy. In my mind that leaves pretty much Camiri at the T position. Now I like Camiri but in the mid 20's not at 17 and the problem is I feel either Indy or Phi will grab him before we have a chance to unless we trade back #17 to either TB or KC. So to me the best option is to not get a T this year, resign Light for 2-3 years (even if it's 5-6mil a year), keep a heavy TE set with Crump on Lights side, trade into the 1st next year to get one of the better T's next year, and give him time to work into the lineup next year.

Now if T isn't taken early I think they target G's that have experience at the T position. Players like Carpenter, Morris, Rackley, Gilbert, Cannon, Ijalana or Boiling. This allows them to get a G for the future but protects them this year in case they need a T in a pinch. All of these are in the 2-4th range.

With the C's I think they go for a project C with high upside that can take a year under Koppen and learn the position. 2 names to keep an eye on are Linnenkohl and Taylor. Both are pure C's with high upside that can be coached up. C is one of those positions I think they feel the best ones are towards the back of the draft that have all the tools but can be built up around the line.

How I see this playing out is that they grab 3 OL this draft with plans to grab a T next year. My gut is telling me they will grab a C in the 5th-6th round range and pick up a couple of G's that can also play the RT position and see where they best fit in the late 2nd - 4th area.

One thing to note is that the Pats have some of the best OL coaches and scouting teams in the game and they pride themselves on finding talent that can be coached up. Vollmer, Light, and Mankins were the biggest names to be taken early but looking at it none of them were big names going into the draft and everyone thought both Mankins and Vollmer were major reaches. I would not expect them to take a big name early in the draft simply because it's so against their mo when drafting OL. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a Morris or Rackley in the late 2nd and have everyone say they reached on them or even a Boren in the 3rd or Lapham in the 5th.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I tried your link and can't get it to come up. Can you please resend?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Hum, I don't know why the link is not properly working...
    Well you can go to  http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/ and just look for the article called "Nick Caserio puts on a clinic".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Why not?  #17...Aldon Smith, OLB....#28....traded to Cincinnati for 2012 first , 2012 third and switch seconds.....#33....traded to San Fran, for #45, #71, and 2012 second....#35....Derek Sherrod,, OT......#45....Ryan Williams, RB....#71....Stephen Wisniewski,OG....#76....Torrey Smith, WR.....#95....Gregg Romeus,  D....with an extra 1st, 2nd and 3rd next year...the rich get richer....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I found the line on extra points and looked at it. I can't imagine the Pats exposing their ranking of players at certain positions. is this anything assuming it is true that could hurt us? It seems like they are just rankings at certain positions, not necessarily how the Pats value them...don't know.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I wouldn't put to much stock into it given they didn't show draft pick ranges for players or their overall board.

One interesting thing though is notice what position they showed and which ones they didn't? Now most would agree RB's, WR's, FB's, TE's, and QB's aren't high priority in the 1st or even early 2nd but T is. Why would they be willing to show their T rankings if they were looking to grab one early? It seems that they specifically told the camera to stay on that side of the board but not to show the G's, C's, LB's, DL, and the bottom part of the T board. It's obvious they don't want other teams to see what they are thinking at those positions so that might be an area they are targeting specific players.

Interesting things to note

Gantt being ranked high on the board. He's generally considered a low end TE who can't catch the ball but is a great blocker. This could signify they are looking for Crumps replacement or feel that he could become a G at some point.

Mallett being ranked higher then Dalton. We all know Mallett is a better prospect but given his character if they were looking for a QB early don't you think they'd consider Mallett as someone that is toxic?

Also look at last years draft. Clearly they had McCourty ranked lower then other prospects but they took him anyways possible out of need and the run on CB's moving him up? Also looking at Cunningham's number again they drafted for need at OLB. It's clear to me they went into the draft last year thinking pass rushing and rebuilding the D was a priority. Given that the D was again the weak point I would say that again they go D early to complete the rebuild and if someone with a high grade like Gronk is available in the 2nd they will go after them

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Patseng. about
    The problem is I think Tyron Smith is gone with Dal or Det and Castonzo has injury concerns. On top of the injury concerns if people don't think BB will go after Watt because of his agent Castonzo has the same guy. In my mind that leaves pretty much Camiri at the T position. Now I like Camiri but in the mid 20's not at 17 and the problem is I feel either Indy or Phi will grab him before we have a chance to unless we trade back #17 to either TB or KC. So to me the best option is to not get a T this year, resign Light for 2-3 years (even if it's 5-6mil a year), keep a heavy TE set with Crump on Lights side, trade into the 1st next year to get one of the better T's next year, and give him time to work into the lineup next year.

I see a major issue here.  Light is one of the few LTs available that is a starter.  Even Reiss expects a 2-3 yr deal, but at 7 mil per.  I think it would be a dream for 5-6 per yr for Light.  How does that effect your thinking?

I can see us keeping Light, drafting 2 G/C types this year like Hudson/Wisniewski and Moffit(one of my personal favorites)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

MB, thoughts on Justin Houston? I've seen some mocks with him going in the late teens and some with him falling into the 2nd. I'm pretty high on him, he has the size the Pats look for in a olb and the pass rushing mentality they've needed for a couple years. Pair him up with JC and they could have a couple very good olbs 
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

CZ,
    In the teens, I prefer Kerrigan; like Houston more at 28 or 33.  He does have some character concerns, but has had some success against good competition.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Patseng. about The problem is I think Tyron Smith is gone with Dal or Det and Castonzo has injury concerns. On top of the injury concerns if people don't think BB will go after Watt because of his agent Castonzo has the same guy. In my mind that leaves pretty much Camiri at the T position. Now I like Camiri but in the mid 20's not at 17 and the problem is I feel either Indy or Phi will grab him before we have a chance to unless we trade back #17 to either TB or KC. So to me the best option is to not get a T this year, resign Light for 2-3 years (even if it's 5-6mil a year), keep a heavy TE set with Crump on Lights side, trade into the 1st next year to get one of the better T's next year, and give him time to work into the lineup next year. I see a major issue here.  Light is one of the few LTs available that is a starter.  Even Reiss expects a 2-3 yr deal, but at 7 mil per.  I think it would be a dream for 5-6 per yr for Light.  How does that effect your thinking? I can see us keeping Light, drafting 2 G/C types this year like Hudson/Wisniewski and Moffit(one of my personal favorites)
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I don't think it does. 7 mil seems a bit rich and I think it might end up being closer to 6 then 7 but given the options in this years draft and FA I don't think the extra mil or 2 a year over a short period is going to kill them. What I think it's going to end up being is a 3 year with 10-12 guareentied and 5.5-6 mil a year salary with obtainable bonuses that could bring it to the 7 mil. Something in the range of 250k for pro-bowl selection, 250k for starting more then 10 games, 100k for workout bonus and so on and so on. They aren't give me bonuses but should be reached with a little to some effort by Light given his career. 

This guaranties Light 2 years with what could be called a team option for the 3rd year in the range Light is looking for and short term for the team which doesn't limit what they can do with other contracts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Corey Liuget (DL, Illinois) and Daniel Thomas (RB, KState) worked out for Patriots

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I wouldn't put to much stock into it given they didn't show draft pick ranges for players or their overall board. One interesting thing though is notice what position they showed and which ones they didn't? Now most would agree RB's, WR's, FB's, TE's, and QB's aren't high priority in the 1st or even early 2nd but T is. Why would they be willing to show their T rankings if they were looking to grab one early? It seems that they specifically told the camera to stay on that side of the board but not to show the G's, C's, LB's, DL, and the bottom part of the T board. It's obvious they don't want other teams to see what they are thinking at those positions so that might be an area they are targeting specific players. Interesting things to note Gantt being ranked high on the board. He's generally considered a low end TE who can't catch the ball but is a great blocker. This could signify they are looking for Crumps replacement or feel that he could become a G at some point. Mallett being ranked higher then Dalton. We all know Mallett is a better prospect but given his character if they were looking for a QB early don't you think they'd consider Mallett as someone that is toxic? Also look at last years draft. Clearly they had McCourty ranked lower then other prospects but they took him anyways possible out of need and the run on CB's moving him up? Also looking at Cunningham's number again they drafted for need at OLB. It's clear to me they went into the draft last year thinking pass rushing and rebuilding the D was a priority. Given that the D was again the weak point I would say that again they go D early to complete the rebuild and if someone with a high grade like Gronk is available in the 2nd they will go after them
    Posted by PatsEng

Yeah, I'm not putting much stock into it. What I found more interesting is how they had their 2010 draft class ranked. Spikes seemed to be the highest rated on their board, with an 8.something rating. Gronk was close at high 7, etc.

If this list has no bearing on what they do,  meaning, don't show the DL, OLB, CB list, does it mean they will continue the D rebuildingn early this year?....I think the answer is definitely yes and they will do it early.

I want to see Light resigned. I'm not giddy over the T class, and think resigning Llight is a better option for 2 reasons. He's better than any T coming out this year, and we don't have to burn a high pick on a LT/RT replacement. We could instead use it on D, and then dedicate next year to fnding his replacment. Regardless, even wiith the possible jettison of Kaczur, you would think they need to draft 1 T to serve in a backup role. That could mean 3 OL taken this year, 1 T and 1-2 G/C or G/T combos.
    I found it intersting they had Ijalana ranked higher than Sherrod as well. Every mock I have seen has Sherrod coming off the board a good 5-10 picks higher than Ijalana.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Yeah, I'm not putting much stock into it. What I found more interesting is how they had their 2010 draft class ranked. Spikes seemed to be the highest rated on their board, with an 8.something rating. Gronk was close at high 7, etc. If this list has no bearing on what they do,  meaning, don't show the DL, OLB, CB list, does it mean they will continue the D rebuildingn early this year?....I think the answer is definitely yes and they will do it early. I want to see Light resigned. I'm not giddy over the T class, and think resigning Llight is a better option for 2 reasons. He's better than any T coming out this year, and we don't have to burn a high pick on a LT/RT replacement. We could instead use it on D, and then dedicate next year to fnding his replacment. Regardless, even wiith the possible jettison of Kaczur, you would think they need to draft 1 T to serve in a backup role. That could mean 3 OL taken this year, 1 T and 1-2 G/C or G/T combos. I found it intersting they had Ijalana ranked higher than Sherrod as well. Every mock I have seen has Sherrod coming off the board a good 5-10 picks higher than Ijalana.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Looked to me and I'm not reading too much into this but if I had to here's what my impression was.

They presented the O not the D, guys at top looked pretty much as you would expect in some positions and some others was not (OT).  They had Lee Ziemba ranked as the 6th OT?  meaning 2nd round grade?!  So what am I thinking, they don't care about other positions to hide much of what they think except for the D side and possible the OT spot.

What if a team thinks of Ziemba as a higher ranked guy because he's even mentioned there.  Also D could be what they are targeting early, first 3 picks and end of 2nd and 3rd they address OL.  Just a thought but I would say that board is not going to be something others teams pay much attention too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I was preparing a mock with trades and had a few trades for picks mid 2nd and I have to tell you something.  I could not find too many players I see the Pats taking.  To me from 40 to 66 is an area that pats might not find any player that fits their system.  A couple there but many, I like the 3rd and 4th round this year. 

I think there's better value in the 3rd this year, multiple DEs OLB types, RBs and CBs, OT/OG and OG/C types I preffer to have in the 3rd than in the 2nd.

I can see trade downs in the 1st for 3rd rounders and picking up 4 players in the 3rd.
    Carpenter OT/OG
    Todman RB
    Moffitt OG/OC
    Gates WR
    Chekwa CB
    Moch OLB
    Rackley OG
    Bailey OLB/DE
    B. Burton CB
    Boling OT/OG
    Brewer OT
    Gilbert OT/OG
    K.J. Wright OLB
    Going into the 4th
    Ahmad Black S 
    Niles Paul WR
    Stanzi QB
    Pinkston OT
    Carter RB
    P. Allen OLB
    Romeus OLB

And I can keep going with guys who lets be honest I don't think without any spring and summer practices the Pats would only get day one starters in the 1st round a certain positions.  The others guys will need time to develop.

I can see BB getting impact guys first two picks and then keep trading into 2012 and getting 3rd and 4th round picks.  Just a thought, could be way off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For all the guys on this board clamouring for a RB take this into consideration Eric Kettani will be in camp this season provided he decides too play football and doesn't re-up with the Navy,also there are several quality RB's who will be available on the FA market. Ryan Kerrigan,JJ Watt or Jordan Cameron or will BB abstain and hope Bowers or Clayborn fall to him in the second round? I still see a more pressing need for interior linemen so I'll stick with my original guess that BB drats the top rated OLineman on his board with one of his first round picks.

Sections
Shortcuts