2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Army, I see that as a line great against the run, but like all of last year, little QB pressure.  Not enough speed.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

So what do you suggest?  Should we get rid of some of the players or change the scheme?  Which players do we need to bring in?  

I think the Pats D plays in a read and react type scheme.  The D-Line aren't all about shooting through and getting to the QB.  They are used more often to tie up O-Linemen so that the LBs can roam free.  So why not draft a guy like Paea to take on double teams and give Wilfork and the 2 Warren's a break.  Imagine seeing all 4 of them on the field at once.  That would be something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    I've read a couple of times on here that we should trade pick 60 to a bad team for their 1st round pick next year.  Now I'm not saying it can't happen, but I kind of doubt it.  60 is a low 2nd rounder.  More importantly, if most of us on this board can name which teams are bad, don't you think that most of them realize they're bad too?  Why do we really think that they'll realistically trade a top 10 pick next year for 60 this year?  What player would be there that would really cause some team to make that trade?  Just not seeing it.
    Posted by paularnold

bad teams don't have coaches with secure futures with the exception of cincy.  if these coaches don't win they are fired so they would be more than willing to trade away future pick which they might not even get to make for anything that improves their odds of keeping their jobs.  if the right player is there at 60 then it could be possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Some random thoughts on trading #28 or #33....(1)...This year, there are many quarterback needy teams, and as many as 6 quarterbacks could go in the first 40 picks. There is pressure on those GM's and coaches to energize their fan base with a quarterback pick...everyone knows this....(2)...quarterback needy teams need to think twice about passing up a quarterback in the early first round, because it will be expensive to get that second pick where they need it...that alone will make this draft very interesting...(3)...If the Patriots trade #28 or #33, they should want a 2012 #1, and more, because it weakens them in 2011,  the actual value and draft position of that future #1 is unknown, so improving pick #60 should be important, and the patriots should negotiate switching 2011 #2 picks with their trading partner. I think the Patriots will trade one of those picks,but not without improving that # 60 pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

sportslover21,

You certainly made a splash with your first post on this thread.  Your mock is pretty realistic based on team needs and player value.  Who did GB at 32?  I think you left that out.  Some of your picks may surprise people such as Jones coming off before Green at 4 to CIN.  I actually think that pick makes better sense because CIN runs the West Coast offense and Jones is the better down field blocker.  There are a couple of minor points.  If Amukamara is on the board at 11, there is no way HOU passes on him given their struggles in the secondary last year.  But other than that, your mock is among the best I've seen.  The trades are something that the Pats will look to do so well done. 

Moving to your picks, and here they are again below, I love the Jordan, Cobb, Hudson, and Todman picks atop your mock.  I'm not sold on Carter as a scheme fit but agree he represents good value at 50.  I'm not a Clint Boling fan.  He got pushed around too much during the Senior Bowl week.  As for Matt Light, I don't know how we can assume we will extend him 2-3 years when a deal didn't get done before the draft.  I have to assume he's gone so taking an OT is a priority to me even if it is a second tier guy like Franklin.  But good stuff.

Patriots Picks:
    #17 -- DE Cameon Jordan, California
    #49 -- WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky
    #50 -- OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina
    #60 -- OG/C Rodney Hudson, Florida State
    #61 -- OG Clint Boling, Georgia
    #74 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd, 2011 5th Round Pick
    #80 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd
    #92 -- RB Jordan Todman, Connecticut
    4th -- OLB Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh
    5th -- CB Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanoga
    5th -- S Ahmad Black, Florida
    6th -- QB Greg McElroy, Alabama

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

sportslover21, You certainly made a splash with your first post on this thread.  Your mock is pretty realistic based on team needs and player value.  Who did GB at 32?  I think you left that out.  Some of your picks may surprise people such as Jones coming off before Green at 4 to CIN.  I actually think that pick makes better sense because CIN runs the West Coast offense and Jones is the better down field blocker.  There are a couple of minor points.  If Amukamara is on the board at 11, there is no way HOU passes on him given their struggles in the secondary last year.  But other than that, your mock is among the best I've seen.  The trades are something that the Pats will look to do so well done.  Moving to your picks, and here they are again below, I love the Jordan, Cobb, Hudson, and Todman picks atop your mock.  I'm not sold on Carter as a scheme fit but agree he represents good value at 50.  I'm not a Clint Boling fan.  He got pushed around too much during the Senior Bowl week.  As for Matt Light, I don't know how we can assume we will extend him 2-3 years when a deal didn't get done before the draft.  I have to assume he's gone so taking an OT is a priority to me even if it is a second tier guy like Franklin.  But good stuff. Patriots Picks: #17 -- DE Cameon Jordan, California #49 -- WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky #50 -- OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina #60 -- OG/C Rodney Hudson, Florida State #61 -- OG Clint Boling, Georgia #74 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd, 2011 5th Round Pick #80 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd #92 -- RB Jordan Todman, Connecticut 4th -- OLB Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh 5th -- CB Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanoga 5th -- S Ahmad Black, Florida 6th -- QB Greg McElroy, Alabama
    Posted by Faucetman

I would agree. A well thought out mock. Like Faucet, I like the top of the order, but possibly would change it up in the second round at #50 and #61. I like Carter, but I would'nt mind taking possibly either Acho or Sheard here if available.
    And at 61, I think we have quite a few options at guard in addition to Boling. Will Rackley is shooting up boards, and I personally like him at 61 vs. Boling. I think he plays with a Mankins mean streak and I think he earned a 2nd round discussion given what he did at the east/west game against good competition.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : So what do you suggest?  Should we get rid of some of the players or change the scheme?  Which players do we need to bring in?   I think the Pats D plays in a read and react type scheme.  The D-Line aren't all about shooting through and getting to the QB.  They are used more often to tie up O-Linemen so that the LBs can roam free.  So why not draft a guy like Paea to take on double teams and give Wilfork and the 2 Warren's a break.  Imagine seeing all 4 of them on the field at once.  That would be something.
    Posted by Army2LT

Obviously BB isnt going to change the scheme.  Maybe if we are lucky we attack more in some situations.  We need what Seymour gave us when we were winning SBs.  A solid run guy and pressure with the occasional sack.  We dont just need an immoveable object because the QB gets too much time then.  We need to make a QB feel pressure even if we dont get the sack so they make mistakes.  We need TFLs.  We need splash plays/turnovers.  Basically a 3 down DL that can turn it up on 3rd down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

SPORTSLOVER : JUST WANTED TO SAY AWESOME JOB .  I may not completely agree with everything you wrote , but it was an entertaining and well thought out piece.  ( For those that missed it - One page back on 273 ) Keep up the good work.  Note : In your Mock ~You dont have GB picking anybody at #32 &    Brandon Tate was actually a 2009 3rd Rndr (and the jurys still out on him )
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro

Thanks man,

When copying and pasting, GB's pick have disappeared somehow, but they take Brooks Reed at #32.

You right Tate was a 3rd round pick, and I agree that jury was still out on him, and I don't think he is a stud by any means, it was just a similar comparison based on school, type of injury and loss of draft stock.

Thanks for the comments

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I would agree. A well thought out mock. Like Faucet, I like the top of the order, but possibly would change it up in the second round at #50 and #61. I like Carter, but I would'nt mind taking possibly either Acho or Sheard here if available. And at 61, I think we have quite a few options at guard in addition to Boling. Will Rackley is shooting up boards, and I personally like him at 61 vs. Boling. I think he plays with a Mankins mean streak and I think he earned a 2nd round discussion given what he did at the east/west game against good competition.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I just have a feeling about Carter, he can bend and dip and get around the edge, and has all the athleticism in the world, he just had one major injury which was a torn ACL, he is clean off the field from what I hear, and I just see a parallel to Brandon Tate type situation from a few years ago but someone who will turn out to be a better player.

As for Rackley, he may never be the great G, but I have a feeling in the late 2nd round you can get a guy that maybe won't start at a pro bowl level but will be a starting caliber RG for 6-10 years, which I think is good value.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

sportslover21, You certainly made a splash with your first post on this thread.  Your mock is pretty realistic based on team needs and player value.  Who did GB at 32?  I think you left that out.  Some of your picks may surprise people such as Jones coming off before Green at 4 to CIN.  I actually think that pick makes better sense because CIN runs the West Coast offense and Jones is the better down field blocker.  There are a couple of minor points.  If Amukamara is on the board at 11, there is no way HOU passes on him given their struggles in the secondary last year.  But other than that, your mock is among the best I've seen.  The trades are something that the Pats will look to do so well done.  Moving to your picks, and here they are again below, I love the Jordan, Cobb, Hudson, and Todman picks atop your mock.  I'm not sold on Carter as a scheme fit but agree he represents good value at 50.  I'm not a Clint Boling fan.  He got pushed around too much during the Senior Bowl week.  As for Matt Light, I don't know how we can assume we will extend him 2-3 years when a deal didn't get done before the draft.  I have to assume he's gone so taking an OT is a priority to me even if it is a second tier guy like Franklin.  But good stuff. Patriots Picks: #17 -- DE Cameon Jordan, California #49 -- WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky #50 -- OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina #60 -- OG/C Rodney Hudson, Florida State #61 -- OG Clint Boling, Georgia #74 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd, 2011 5th Round Pick #80 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd #92 -- RB Jordan Todman, Connecticut 4th -- OLB Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh 5th -- CB Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanoga 5th -- S Ahmad Black, Florida 6th -- QB Greg McElroy, Alabama
    Posted by Faucetman

I made it in for a few surprises, I think Green is the much better football player but my mock is what I think the teams will do, and I think Jones is who CIN would go if they went WR. I agree on HOU, that I can't see them passing Amukamara, but recently, a few trusted draft sources, mainly Wes Bunting and Tony Pauline, that HOU is considering Kerrigan, Quinn and Smith highly at the 11 position in the draft and may take them over Amukamara, cause they deseparetly need a new pass rusher either at OLB or the 5-tech for Wade Phillips coming in. They also are interested in JJ Watt, supposedly. So while I'd take Prince again, I think that is a nice twist as for what could possibly happen.

I originally had trouble with Carter as a scheme fit also, but I feel that he can hold up when he needs to against the run, can drop in coverage with athleticism and has great ability to rush the passer, which would be his #1 assignment. He may not be the best fit but if we haven't addressed the need until the late 2nd round I'd jump on him. As for Boling, as I said in the previous post, he may never be a pro bowler but he will be steady and be a very solid RG for 6-10 years, and that's good value for a pick at #61 in the draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

In Id take moffitt over boling....Seems like he is tougher and maybe a lil like mankins

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Arizona will probably gamble here, hopping there's a rookie scale in place.  If not they will pay for the trade but that team is close and could compete with a QB who can get LF and those weapons the ball.  Ten moves as well.

I don't know watt makes it to where I have him but can fall if teams move around base on those team needs.

PickTeamTradePlayerPosit.
    1Arz5, 38 Blaine Gabbert - With rummors of the Skins trying to move up Arz takes no chances and lands their QB.QB
    2Den-Marcell DareusDT
    3Buf-Patrick PetersonCB
    4Ten8, 39Cam Newton - Was does not have enough picks to get to Newton, they'll have to settle for a 2nd rnd QBQB
    5Car1A.J. GreenWR
    6Hou6,73, 105Prince AmukamaraCB
    7SF-Von MillerOLB
    8Cin4, 109Julio JonesWR
    9Dal-Tyron SmithOT
    10Was-Jake LockerQB
    11Cle6Robert QuinnDE/OLB
    12Min-Nick FairleyDT
    13SD18, 61Cam JordanDE
    14StL-Mike PounceyOG/C
    15Phi23, 85, 104Anthony Costanzo with NE, Det, NYG, TB, KC Ind needing OL help they move up to help keep Vick healthyOT
    16Jac-Ryan Kerrigan their DE Aaron Kampman is on his second ACL surgery in as many seasons, Kerrigan takes his placeDE
    17NO24, 72Aldon SmithDE
    18Det13Jimmy SmithCB
    19NYG-Gabe CarimiOT/OG
    20TB-Adrian ClaybornDE
    21KC-Phil TaylorNT
    22Ind-Nate Solder OT
    23Mia15Mark IngramRB
    24NE17J.J. WattDE
    25Sea-Ryan MalletQB
    26Bal-Danny WatkinsOG/OT
    27Atl-Kyle RudolphTE
    28Cin35, 101Christian PonderQB
    29Chi Derek SherrodOT
    30NYJ Jabaal SheardOLB
    31Pit Ben IjalanaOT/OG
    32GB Cameron HeywardDE

33Min43, 106, 139Andy DaltonQB

35NE28Brooks ReedOLB
    43NE33TRADED Jack 49, 114 Jack draft Colin Kaepernick  
    49NE43Traded 2012 SF 2nd rnd & 115 (For WR Hankerson) 
    60NE-James CarpenterOT
    72NE17Edmond GatesWR
    74NE-TRADED 2012 2nd 
    90NE-John MoffittOG/C
    101NE28Rob HouslerTE/WR
    114NE43Alex GreenRB
    115NE49TRADED 2012 3rd (Was),  213 & 224 
    125NE-TRADED 2012 3rd 
    159NE-Zach HurdOT/OG
    193NE-Mark HerzlichLB
    213NE115Justin RogersCB
    224NE115Mark LeGreeFS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Alright, I need to start posting here again and help add to the discussion a bit. The Draft is the favorite time of the year and I don't even add comments to a Patriots draft thread haha. All I do is read. But I have been doing work on the side. I have my top 32 players overall, my positional rankings, top 75 patriots targets and new full 2 round mock (with all patriots picks). Here they are, I will try and make this look as neat and easy to read as possible. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 32 Players Overall 1.        AJ Green, WR, Georgia 2.        Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU 3.        Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama 4.        Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M 5.        Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina 6.        Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska 7.        JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin 8.        Cameron Jordan, DE, California 9.        Julio Jones, WR, Alabama 10.    Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama 11.    Tyron Smith, OT, USC 12.    Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida 13.    Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri 14.    Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue 15.    Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn 16.    Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College 17.    Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin 18.    Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame 19.    Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois 20.    Cam Heyward, DE, Ohio State 21.    Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor 22.    Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL) 23.    Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois 24.    Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri 25.    Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky 26.    Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina 27.    Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona 28.    Andy Dalton, QB, TCU 29.    Rahim Moore, S, UCLA 30.    Aaron Williams, S, Texas 31.    Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech 32.    Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Postional Rankings QB 1.        Blaine Gabbert, Missouri 2.        Andy Dalton, TCU 3.        Greg McElroy, Alabama 4.        Christian Ponder, Florida State 5.        Cameron Newton, Auburn     RB            1.        Mark Ingram, Alabama 2.        Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech 3.        Mikel LeShoure, Illinois 4.        Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State 5.        Jordan Todman, Connecticut WR 1.        AJ Green, Georgia 2.        Julio Jones, Alabama 3.        Randall Cobb, Kentucky 4.        Leonard Hankerson, Miami (FL) 5.        Jerel Jernigan, Troy TE 1.        Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame 2.        Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin 3.        DJ Williams, Arkansas 4.        Jordan Cameron, USC 5.        Luke Stocker, Tennessee OT 1.        Tyron Smith, Southern California 2.        Anthony Castonzo, Boston College 3.        Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin 4.        Ben Ijalana, Villanova 5.        Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State   Interior-OL 1.        Mike Pouncey, Florida 2.        Danny Watkins, Baylor 3.        Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State 4.        Rodney Hudson, Florida State 5.        John Moffitt, Wisconsin 4-3 DE 1.        Robert Quinn, North Carolina 2.        Cameron Jordan, California 3.        Aldon Smith, Missouri 4.        Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue 5.        Da’Quan Bowers, Clemson 3-4 DE 1.        Marcell Dareus, Alabama 2.        JJ Watt, Wisconsin 3.        Cameron Jordan, California 4.        Cameron Heyward, Ohio State 5.        Muhammed Wilkerson, Temple DT 1.        Marcell Dareus, Alabama 2.        Nick Fairley, Auburn 3.        Corey Liuget, Illinois 4.        Marvin Austin, North Carolina 5.        Phil Taylor, Baylor 4-3 OLB 1.        Bruce Carter, North Carolina 2.        Akeem Ayers, UCLA 3.        Mason Foster, Washington 4.        Lawrence Wilson, Connecticut 5.        Dontay Moch, Nevada 3-4 OLB 1.        Von Miller, Texas A&M 2.        Robert Quinn, North Carolina 3.        Aldon Smith, Missouri 4.        Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue 5.        Brooks Reed, Arizona ILB 1.        Martez Wilson, Illinois 2.        Mark Herzlich, Boston College 3.        Greg Jones, Michigan State 4.        Casey Matthews, Oregon 5.        Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina   CB 1.        Patrick Peterson, LSU 2.        Prince Amukamara, Nebraska 3.        Brandon Harris, Miami (FL) 4.        Jimmy Smith, Colorado 5.        Johnny Patrick, Louisville   S 1.        Rahim Moore, UCLA 2.        Aaron Williams, Texas 3.        Ahmad Black, Florida 4.        Shiloh Keo, Idado 5.        Richard Sherman, Stanford ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Top 75 Patriots Targets QB Andy Dalton QB Greg McElroy QB Ricky Stanzi   RB Mark Ingram RB Ryan Williams RB Mikel LeShoure RB Kendall Hunter RB Jordan Todman RB Taiwan Jones   WR AJ Green WR Julio Jones WR Randall Cobb WR Jerrel Jernigan WR Edmond Gates WR Greg Little WR Austin Pettis WR Jeremy Kerley WR Dane Sanzenbacher   TE Kyle Rudolph   OT Anthony Castonzo OT Tyron Smith OT Gabe Carimi OT Ben Ijalana OT Marcus Gilbert   OG Mike Pouncey OG Danny Watkins OG Rodney Hudson OG Clint Boling OG James Carpenter OG John Moffitt OG Andrew Jackson   OC Stefen Wisniewski OC Tim Barnes OC Jake Kirkpatrick     DE/LB Robert Quinn DE/LB Aldon Smith DE Cameron Jordan DE JJ Watt DE/LB Ryan Kerrigan DE Cameron Heyward DE/LB Brooks Reed DE/LB Allen Bailey   DT Marcell Dareus DT Corey Liuget DT Muhammed Wilkerson DT Christian Ballard DT Phil Taylor DT Marvin Austin DT Terrell McClain   OLB Von Miller OLB Akeem Ayers OLB Bruce Carter OLB Mark Herzlich OLB Chris Carter ILB Martez Wilson   CB Patrick Peterson CB Prince Amukamara CB Brandon Harris CB Johnny Patrick CB Curtis Brown CB Buster Skrine CB Ryan Jones CB Justin Rogers S Aaron Williams S Rahim Moore S Ahmad Black CB/S Richard Sherman S Joe Lefeged S Shiloh Keo ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3 Trades: Atlanta Trades #27 --- Buffalo Trades #34, #68 New England Trades #28 --- San Diego Trades #50, #61 New England Trades #33 --- Jacksonville Trades #49, #80 Round 1 1.        Carolina Panthers – Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn 2.        Denver Broncos – Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama 3.        Buffalo Bills – Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M 4.        Cincinnati Bengals –   Julio Jones, WR, Alabama 5.        Arizona Cardinals – Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri 6.        Cleveland Browns – AJ Green, WR, Georgia 7.        San Francisco 49ers – Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU 8.        Tennessee Titans – Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn 9.        Dallas Cowboys – Tyron Smith, OT, USC 10.    Washington Redskins – Robert Quinn, LB, North Carolina 11.    Houston Texans – Ryan Kerrigan, LB, Purdue 12.    Minnesota Vikings – Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson 13.    Detroit Lions – Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska 14.    St. Louis Rams – Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri 15.    Miami Dolphins – Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas 16.    Jacksonville Jaguars – JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin 17.    New England Patriots – Cameron Jordan, DE, California 18.    San Diego Chargers – Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA 19.    New York Giants – Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida 20.    Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa 21.    Kansas City Chiefs – Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin 22.    Indianapolis Colts – Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College 23.    Philadelphia Eagles – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado 24.    New Orleans Saints – Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple 25.    Seattle Seahawks – Jake Locker, QB, Washington 26.    Baltimore Ravens – Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado 27.    Buffalo Bills (f/ATL)   – Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State 28.    San Diego Chargers (f/NE)   –   Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State 29.    Chicago Bears – Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor 30.    New York Jets – Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor 31.    Pittsburgh Steelers – Aaron Williams, CB/S, Texas Round 2 1.     Jacksonville Jaguars (f/NE) – Andy Dalton, QB, TCU 2.     Atlanta Falcons (f/BUF) – Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame 3.     Cincinnati Bengals – Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina 4.     Denver Broncos – Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada 5.     Cleveland Browns – Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois 6.     Arizona Cardinals – Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL) 7.     Tennessee Titans – Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois 8.     Dallas Cowboys – Rahim Moore, S, UCLA 9.     Washington Redskins – Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama 10.   Houston Texans – Ras-I Dowling, CB/S, Virginia Tech 11.   Minnesota Vikings – Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova 12.   Detroit Lions – Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State 13.   San Francisco 49ers – Justin Houston, DE/LB, Georgia 14.   Denver Broncos – Christian Ballard, DT, Iowa 15.   St. Louis Rams – Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh 16.   Oakland Raiders – Stefen Wisniewski, OG, Penn State 17.   New England Patriots (f/JAC) – Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky 18.   New England Patriots (f/SD) – Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina 19.   Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech 20.   New York Giants – Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois 21.   Indianapolis Colts – Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State 22.   Philadelphia Eagles – Curtis Brown, CB, Texas 23.   Kansas City Chiefs – Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton 24.   New Orleans Saints – Mason Foster, LB, Washington 25.   Seattle Seahawks – Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami (FL) 26.   Baltimore Ravens – Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (FL) 27.   Atlanta Falcons – Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh 28.   New England Patriots – Rodney Hudson, OG/C, Florida State 29.   New England Patriots (f/SD) – Clint Boling, OG, Georgia 30.   Chicago Bears – Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson 31.    Pittsburgh Steelers – Marcus Cannon, OG, TCU 32.    Green Bay Packers – Brandon Burton, CB, Utah Patriots Picks: #17 -- DE Cameon Jordan, California #49 -- WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky #50 -- OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina #60 -- OG/C Rodney Hudson, Florida State #61 -- OG Clint Boling, Georgia #74 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd, 2011 5th Round Pick #80 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd #92 -- RB Jordan Todman, Connecticut 4th -- OLB Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh 5th -- CB Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanoga 5th -- S Ahmad Black, Florida 6th -- QB Greg McElroy, Alabama This draft would be a perfect draft for the Patriots and one that seems extremely realsitic with the Patriots with their tendencies, and such. Includes 4 Trades for them, 2 of them trades down, and 2 of them into next year. Player wise I think they get great value. I think Jordan can add to the defense a ton at 17. He can play 5 tech and maybe even stand up in a 2 point stance at some point, in nickel he can kick inside and provide nickel pass rush. Cobb, I think just has Patriot written all over him with ability to help in multiple areas and also be a great slot WR and maybe even play outside the numbers. Bruce Carter has special ability when he plays, and would've been a top 15 talent if not for the injury. Ring any bells with a Brandon Tate type pick? Same school, same injury, stock drop cause of injury. Tate has been solid value for a 4th round pick, and I think that Carter can be real special off the edge for the Pats, he may take a while to get fully healthy, but when he does, he will be good. Then we go with 2 interior lineman. I am thinking that Light will be back on a 2-3 year deal and the fact no good enough OT were available where we picked, trading down was a better option. So we get 2 interior offensive lineman, and the eventual replacment to Koppen at C, for 10 years. Boling will be a RG, and a starter for a good deal of time, providing good 2nd round value. Whoever plays better in camp, will get the job for the year, and next year both will plug in at C and G. Then we trade 2 3rds for 2 2nd round picks next year, and a 5th this year. Giving us 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds again next year. then we go to Jordan Todman at RB. He will be a nice compliment to our current RB's, who can go inside and outside the tackles, carry a load and also catch the ball out of the backfield. Then we go another injured DE/OLB conversion guy with Greg Romeus, who without injury also would've been a 1st round pick. He has good pass rushing ability, the size BB likes at OLB, and the ability to move in space a little bit. It would be strange picking 2 OLB that are both hurt but if we connect with both or even just 1, we should have a special bookend to team up with Cunningham, and a servicable backup. Then we go 2 secondary players, one who can help out on special teams at CB, and has elite quickness and speed and COD skills. I think he can eventually develop into a stud ST player along with a nice nickel CB at worst. Black continues to drop, but I continue to love the way he plays. He wouldn't need to play every down for us, and can get down on the slot and keep up with his quickness and COD skills, along with making a tackle on a RB, or blitzing. Last, we go with McElroy who is a personal favorite of mine, and would be the one guy I bet on the Patriots drafting in this whole draft. He just has Patriots written all over him.
    Posted by sportslover21

SL,
    Nice work.

As for your mock, it looks like  solid overall haul.

I love Jordan and Cobb; Boling may be a shade high, but Rd 2 isn't a drastic reach.

You're thinking with Carter is that he'll kick inside when they go 34 and play on the outside when they go 43?  I'd be really tempted by Sheard at this point in the draft.

The only question I have on Hudson would be his actual playing weight, if he's close to the 299, then he should be alright, if he's closer to the high 280's or low 290's, he's probably a C only in their scheme.

Getting 2 future 2nd rounders, Todman, Romeus, Skrine and McElroy would be some solid mid-late round value and while I question Black's poor size/speed combo, he may be worth a shot in the later rounds.

Solid class overall, IMO, if things play out like this.

#17 -- DE Cameon Jordan, California
    #49 -- WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky
    #50 -- OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina
    #60 -- OG/C Rodney Hudson, Florida State
    #61 -- OG Clint Boling, Georgia
    #74 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd, 2011 5th Round Pick
    #80 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd
    #92 -- RB Jordan Todman, Connecticut
    4th -- OLB Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh
    5th -- CB Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanoga
    5th -- S Ahmad Black, Florida
    6th -- QB Greg McElroy, Alabama

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Although I enjoy my GM role here my paying job is as an analyst, so I'm going to attempt to analyse BB's Syrus interview and what to take out of it. 
    Just the analysis based on what he says, you can read it on the link below.

Analysis:

Pats have a number of picks at points of the draft teams will look to improve position and they could get good compensation.  He could move up or down based on what he thinks will improve his team.

Conversion guys are tough to project, there will be a number of them taken and DL as well as QBs will shape this draft.

Biggest point, picks are up for bidding.  How did I do?  lol Guess to true BB form he never lets even a little bit out of the bag.  Hard to take much from what he says aside from what we all already know. 

The ONE point that was interesting to me is his mentioning of Koa Misi, 6'2.5" 251.  He seems to use him as a successful evaluation of a DE converted to OLB.  Could this be a sign he would look at guys in that 6'2 maybe even 6'1" area rather than stick to his 6'4" 260+ requirement? 
    If he does look to get more lenient on height who could be there? If he projects one of these guys would make the transition to OLB over a taller guy.
      my list of 6'2 and under pass rusher options:

Bruce Carter OLB 6'2" 243 (ACL surgery would most likely not play in 2011, top 15 talent could fall to 3rd round)
    Sam Acho 6'2" 262 at times looks like superman, others like invisible man, 3nd of 2nd rnd to middle 3rd.
    Dontay Moch 6'1" 248 I pointed him out hundreds of pages ago, most had over looked him because of height.  He's got a lot of work to do, on tape there are times a RT just pushes him out of play.  Once initial contact is made he's out of the play reason I've been off his bus.
    Chris Carter 6'1" 248 Carter is a very good pass rusher with long arms, would need to get stronger against the run to turn into a three down OLB.
    Mason Foster 6'2" 245 Not a pass rusher, a blitzer.  I think the Pats have a better version of this guy who is an actual pass rusher.  DF IMO is better than most of these guys.
    Mario Harvey (played ILB at Marshall) 5'11" 257 read below
    03/28/2011 - Marshall Pro day: When Mario Harvey found out he was not among the invitees to last month's NFL Scouting Combine, Marshall's pro day emerged as this fiery linebacker's key chance to show NFL teams what Marshall fans have raved about for ages. Of the 12 Marshall players and one small-schooler who worked out for NFL personnel on March 16, it was Harvey who made the most of his opportunity. The 5-foot-10 7/8, 250-pound fireplug registered a stirring 4.46 40-yard dash and put on a strong positional workout for onlookers, including a New England Patriots scout who took particular interest in the Thundering Herd defender. Harvey also logged a 32-inch vertical and 9-5 broad jump, with a 4.19-second short shuttle and 7.13 three-cone drill result. Harvey is an aggressive, energetic, play-making defender ??? some NFL team will take a chance on him for his special-teams promise and potential on defense. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
    Bruce Miller UCF 6'2" 254
    03/25/2011
    - Central Florida Pro day: Defensive end/outside linebacker Bruce Miller (6-1 5/8, 248) also did the drills again despite running them at the combine, and in addition to his defensive positions, teams worked him out at fullback. Miller ran 40s of 4.65 and 4.67, jumped a 33 1/2 vertical and a 9-7 broad jump, and he clocked 4.31 in the short shuttle and 6.75 in the 3-cone. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Conference-USA Defensive Player of the Year … All-C-USA First Team … Rivals.com All-Bowl team … CBSSports.com All-Bowl team … Started all 14 games and ended the season with 63 tackles including a team-high 13.5 tackles for loss, a team-high 8.5 sacks, two interceptions returned for touchdowns, two pass break-ups, 18 quarterback hurries, and two forced fumbles.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4694939/belichick-talks-draft-with-sirius-radio

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : SL, Nice work. As for your mock, it looks like  solid overall haul. I love Jordan and Cobb; Boling may be a shade high, but Rd 2 isn't a drastic reach. You're thinking with Carter is that he'll kick inside when they go 34 and play on the outside when they go 43?  I'd be really tempted by Sheard at this point in the draft. The only question I have on Hudson would be his actual playing weight, if he's close to the 299, then he should be alright, if he's closer to the high 280's or low 290's, he's probably a C only in their scheme. Getting 2 future 2nd rounders, Todman, Romeus, Skrine and McElroy would be some solid mid-late round value and while I question Black's poor size/speed combo, he may be worth a shot in the later rounds. Solid class overall, IMO, if things play out like this.   #17 -- DE Cameon Jordan, California #49 -- WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky #50 -- OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina #60 -- OG/C Rodney Hudson, Florida State #61 -- OG Clint Boling, Georgia #74 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd, 2011 5th Round Pick #80 -- TRADED FOR 2012 2nd #92 -- RB Jordan Todman, Connecticut 4th -- OLB Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh 5th -- CB Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanoga 5th -- S Ahmad Black, Florida 6th -- QB Greg McElroy, Alabama
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Thanks MB,

As for Carter, my thinking on him is that when healthy he has the ability to play anywhere and is really scheme diverse. I think that when we are in the 4-3 he is purely an OLB, but in the 3-4, I can see him as a OLB and ILB, I think that his best assest is his ability to rush the passer with his athleticism and ability to bend and get around the edge, he may not have shown that playing a different role at North Carolina but when he does show it on tape, he flashes. But I also think he can be that sideline to sideline ILB in our scheme. Either way, I think it just adds to his value, he will be a 4 down LB, contributing on ST also, and can play on 3rd down still, and certainly on the 1st 2 downs, and I just like the kid as a player, and even moreso because he will go 2nd/3rd Round instead of Top 15, which his talent suggests.

As for Hudson, his playing weight doesn't really concern me, but I am guessing he will look to keep that in the 295+ range, and build it up properly as opposed to what he was a chubby 299 at the combine. Whether or not he is closer to his playing weight at college or the combine weight, I think he projects to be a center on our scheme, and would be a stronghold there for 8-10 years, and even if he bulked up, I'd still want him to be our center, I just think that is his best position, and also where he can offer the most to a team. It isn't bad that if that doesn't work out he also has versitility to play Guard and 3 positions on the offensive line as a backup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from couldntthinkofone. Show couldntthinkofone's posts

Another reason why JJ Watt is the choice,  in the first round we pick guys whose names start with M  or W

Warren

Wilfork

Watson

Mankins

Maroney

Merriwether

Mayo

Mcourty

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Thanks MB, As for Carter, my thinking on him is that when healthy he has the ability to play anywhere and is really scheme diverse. I think that when we are in the 4-3 he is purely an OLB, but in the 3-4, I can see him as a OLB and ILB, I think that his best assest is his ability to rush the passer with his athleticism and ability to bend and get around the edge, he may not have shown that playing a different role at North Carolina but when he does show it on tape, he flashes. But I also think he can be that sideline to sideline ILB in our scheme. Either way, I think it just adds to his value, he will be a 4 down LB, contributing on ST also, and can play on 3rd down still, and certainly on the 1st 2 downs, and I just like the kid as a player, and even moreso because he will go 2nd/3rd Round instead of Top 15, which his talent suggests. As for Hudson, his playing weight doesn't really concern me, but I am guessing he will look to keep that in the 295+ range, and build it up properly as opposed to what he was a chubby 299 at the combine. Whether or not he is closer to his playing weight at college or the combine weight, I think he projects to be a center on our scheme, and would be a stronghold there for 8-10 years, and even if he bulked up, I'd still want him to be our center, I just think that is his best position, and also where he can offer the most to a team. It isn't bad that if that doesn't work out he also has versitility to play Guard and 3 positions on the offensive line as a backup.
    Posted by sportslover21

I'm just not seeing him as a kid that I'd take at 50 with the idea that he'll be my pass-rusher, especially with Sheard still on the board.  Again, he looks like a pretty good player (just watched some tape on him), athletic, active kid, can probably stay on the field all three downs and will provide some ST value, but I'd much prefer a Moch or Chris Carter in the middle rounds if you're looking to target an undersized speed rusher as they already have a lot of experience off the edge.  Bruce is more of an athletic 43 (could play weakside in a 34, similar to how I project Foster) that will have some value blitzing, can cover, and play sideline to sideline, but doesn't look to have a ton of experience trying to create for himself off the edge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

To all those who want a dominating pass rusher from the OLB position atop our draft, Ryan Kerrigan is the man.  I'm still advocating for Watt, Jordan, Pouncey or Carimi first but there is no denying that Kerrigan is a stud.  Not only was he productive in college but he has all the character intangibles you want.  Kerrigan could be the next Willie McGinest to play elephant LB in place of Ninkovich.  Mb picked him early on and I would not be shocked if BB takes him at 17.  Kerrigan would be a solid pick IMO and he will be a player teams will need to account for in their game plans.  I don't think Rob Ninkovich is a player who puts fear into the heart of OCs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Yes, Faucet, and in the interview BB seemed to make the point that evaluation of players starts on what they did in college: Kerrigan certainly has a good record.  I agree with any of your choices for #17.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

We are drafting Bowers with pick #1A,Carimi with #1B,Rudolph with 2A ,cobb with 2B, etc etc

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

To all those who want a dominating pass rusher from the OLB position atop our draft, Ryan Kerrigan is the man.  I'm still advocating for Watt, Jordan, Pouncey or Carimi first but there is no denying that Kerrigan is a stud.  Not only was he productive in college but he has all the character intangibles you want.  Kerrigan could be the next Willie McGinest to play elephant LB in place of Ninkovich.  Mb picked him early on and I would not be shocked if BB takes him at 17.  Kerrigan would be a solid pick IMO and he will be a player teams will need to account for in their game plans.  I don't think Rob Ninkovich is a player who puts fear into the heart of OCs.
    Posted by Faucetman

I couldn't agree more Faucet. I think MB was right on with the post that started this discussion over 5,000 posts ago. 

Kerrigan fits in so many ways. The only way he doesn't fit historically speaking is the discussion about BB not taking a conversion guy high in the draft or in round 1. I'm a believer in history as a means to help predict the future, but it's not the end all be all. Not when you have a glaring need, and a potential solution that might fall into your laps. 

Really in my mind the only questions are;
    1. Does Kerrigan make it to 17, or is he being targeted by teams above us? Meaning, would it require a trade up, or does BB feel he can sit tight and draft him? Is the trade up somethign BB would entertain? (I don't think it would take much to move into Miami's spot should they want to trade out, if we need to get ahead of Jacksonville)
    2. How does BB value Kerrigan as compared to Brooks Reed, Aldon Smith, Houston, or other guys that can be had in the 17-28 range? All are DE conversion types, with only Houston really playing 3-4 OLB, and even that was only for 1 year.

Kerrigan in my mind is at the top of the group I mentioned above. He has played all 4 years, has stat progression over 4 years, has the right size, speed, quickness and strength. Good at getting pressure on the QB, and also adept at forcing fumbles, playing the run, relentless, and won't ever give up on a play.

If at 17 Kerrigan and Jordan are still there, it will be a tough decision. But, if we are keen on taking a DL/DE, we have options throughout the draft, whereas a guy like Kerrigan I don't see anywhere else in the draft beyond round 1, which to me makes it a point to grab him there. High position of need, upgrades OLB posiiton, gives us that pass rushing threat we need.

28 can still be traded down if we want, or we can go in virtually any direction with it. I still think it's too high to start talking OT, so perhaps BB goes back to defense and selects Heyward, or trades out as so many have indicated on this board. At 33 we have choices again. We could grab one of the OT's left here, or again trade out and down.

I love this year. We aren't forced to really do anything in terms of picking at certain places andn then waiting a full round to draft again. I can't wait to see the creativity on draft day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Damn reports are that Austin is sneaking into the teens now that Bowers is dropping. I can see Stl looking at either Liuget or Austin but apparently they really like Liuget.  What are the chances that Indy targets Austin instead of Solder or Camiri and Camiri makes it past Phi? Now I didn't want Camiri at 17 but if Indy goes DL with Austin there is a shot Camiri could fall to 28

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

All Patriots..All the time.... 60 Max Power O....Exclusive draft coverage and much more

Check us out at:

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Damn reports are that Austin is sneaking into the teens now that Bowers is dropping. I can see Stl looking at either Liuget or Austin but apparently they really like Liuget.  What are the chances that Indy targets Austin instead of Solder or Camiri and Camiri makes it past Phi? Now I didn't want Camiri at 17 but if Indy goes DL with Austin there is a shot Camiri could fall to 28
    Posted by PatsEng

I don't think there's any chance Carimi makes it to 28, maybe Solder or Sherrod but Carimi no way.  Even if he makes it pass NYG, TB, Ind then Philly OT (23), Seattle needs OT/OG help (25), Ravens OT/OG (26), Atl OG (27)

Now the best scenario is for Pouncey, Castonzo and Carimi are left at 22 for the Colts then they could take Pouncey, Philly takes one of the two OTs and most likely the Ravens get the other leaving Watkins, Sherrod and Ijalana at 28 if the Pats take one I go with Watkins.  I think he can play both T and G.  I just don't think with Carimi's talent and nastiness he makes it 28. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

17: Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue
    28: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St
    33: Cameron Heyward, DL, Ohio St
    60: Clint Boling, OG, Georgia
    74: Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas St
    92: Jalil Brown, DB, Colorado
    125: Greg Romeus, OLB, Pittsburgh
    159: Brandon Fusco, C/G, Slippery Rock
    193: Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Posted by Faucetman

Would love to see Kerrigan but the Pats would need to jump ahead of the Jags maybe even Detroit. Aaron Kampman (Jags) has had two ACL surgeries in as many years, Kerrigan would be a very nice replacement and day one starter.

Wisconsin's coach, Bielma, on Path to the Draft last night speaks on how they had to game plan for Kerrigan against Perdue (3:50 min in).  For anyone not convinced on Kerrigan must listen to this coach talk about Kerrigan. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d81f52e68/Bielma-on-prospects

Also talks about Watt and Carimi at the beginning of the interview but hearing him talk about Kerrigan was the highlight of the interview. 

For Kerrigan I believe Jags are the biggest threat at 16 but both Min and Det could also use a DE.  I don't think the Jags take a chance on Bowers having gone through Kapman's ACL injuries.  The only chance I'm thinking is if they shock the world and take Martez Wilson, they are in need of a MLB but at 16 Wilson is a reach not as bad as Alualu at 10 so could happen.

If Kerrigan Watt and Carimi are there at 17 who do you take?  I preffer Watt then at 28ish get Reed

Sections
Shortcuts