2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    Faucet/PL, Yeah, it would be pretty cool if after 9 months and 5000+ posts BB selected Kerrigan!  I also understand that he has no history of take a DE convert this high in the draft, so the question is, is this the kid that breaks precedent?  Positives: Ultra productive and proven against top competition. A lot of experience against top competition. Consistent track record of production. Loves the game. Big time motor. Good measurables. Good triangle times. Smart. Great character.  Negatives: Not a lot of experience operating out of a two point stance. Not an elite athlete.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I would think if BB was going to break precendent, he could certainly do it for this kid. REally, what's not to like about him? I don't care about elite athlete, the kid put up some pretty good numbers at the combine which tell me physically, he should be able to make the conversion to OLB. 
    he's not freakish like Von Miller, but his times as you note above are plenty good enough to play OLB. 
     I know one thing, if we take Kerrigan at 17, he will be one of the hardest workign kids on this team, and there will never be a conversation about lack of effort.

I'd feel better about getting him around 25, but when I think of where we got Meriweather and Maroney, those feelings go away fast.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : JAX might actually go with Ponder if things unfold like this.  I would not trade up for a conversion player.  I would go plan B and take Carimi based on the value a Carimi selection would represent from my last post. What if we took Kerrigan at 17 then traded up to 20 from 28 to get Carimi?  Pick 74 is more than enough to do it and we could get a 6-7 rounder back.  If TB is going RB or ILB, they can still have their choice at 28.  We then trade 33 back and draft Wisniewski around 53 and still have pick 60 and 92 to address RB.  Although IND never trades, they could come up to 33 to get Dalton.  Manning isn't signed and the Colts really like Dalton.
    Posted by Faucetman

intriguing (kerrigan, carimi, wisnewski), always did want to trade up twice, but cant you get me a de somewhere who can improve what we have?  after that everything else is not quite as important.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : 3 Chances: fat, slim and none. Man, have you been living under a rock? I probably shouldn't be responding; just encourages more time wasters like this. Nevertheless, I felt compassion and wait, you're just joking.........aren't you? If not, you're due for a demotion, lieutenant. 
    Posted by teegee

Be nice. This board is for discussing the draft, not being an a hole because you don't like someone elses's opinion or question...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : intriguing (kerrigan, carimi, wisnewski), always did want to trade up twice, but cant you get me a de somewhere who can improve what we have?  after that everything else is not quite as important.
    Posted by brdbreu

I think we can get a DE in round 2-5 that will improve what we have on the roster in Deaderick and possibly move inside and upgrade Pryor and some others. I posted earliler about this, and potential players we may want to target. I have no issues trading up early if we can grab some impact palyers, even if one of those is not a 3-4 DE.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Did everyone see these comments from BB in today's BG.com.  THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN?

“I think you really have to wait until draft day, kind of see how it all plays out, but we’ve definitely been contacted by teams offering to move back and seeing if we want to move up,’’ Belichick said. “And we’ve also been contacted by teams behind us looking to move up into a better position.  “But there definitely seems to be a lot of interest in our draft picks and, as you know, we’re not afraid to trade them; we’ll do what’s best for the team. So we’ll evaluate those opportunities.’’

Belichick believes this draft ultimately will be judged by how teams evaluate players in the defensive front seven, especially “hybrid’’ players who could be converted from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker.  “The teams that are able to come out with the impact players in that group, [that] has a lot to do with who’s able to gain the most out of this draft, so that will be an interesting part of it,’’ Belichick said.

Belichick believes there’s depth at the defensive end and offensive tackle spots this year; tackle appears to be an area of need for New England.  “Offensive tackle is a very interesting board with guys that can play [what] looks like left tackle but may have some flexibility to play right tackle,’’ he said. “There are some other players who are good tackles and have to move into guard. It’s definitely a group that has good depth.’’

I find the comments about hybrid players and OT particularly interesting.  He mentioned that he's had offers from team looking to trade back and trade up.  Since he almost never trades up in the first round I think he could trade back with all 3 of our first picks.  Hopefully they are small trades to gain something for the future while still getting his guy at each spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet/PL, Yeah, it would be pretty cool if after 9 months and 5000+ posts BB selected Kerrigan!  I also understand that he has no history of take a DE convert this high in the draft, so the question is, is this the kid that breaks precedent?  Positives: Ultra productive and proven against top competition. A lot of experience against top competition. Consistent track record of production. Loves the game. Big time motor. Good measurables. Good triangle times. Smart. Great character.  Negatives: Not a lot of experience operating out of a two point stance. Not an elite athlete.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

If we take Kerrigan, that would have been the earliest anyone on here has called our top pick that I know of.  What was it, September?  BB spent some time talking about the hybrid players today and there is absolutely no doubt that Kerrigan is cut from Patriot cloth.

If we can get Kerrigan, Carimi and Wisniewski while moving around and stockpiling future picks, I'd be pretty stoked.  If we can get Watt, Kerrigan, Carimi and Moffitt, how sick would that be? 

It is possible.

If Watt is there at 17, take him. 
    Then trade 33 and 60 to move to 19 for Kerrigan
    Then trade 28 and 74 to Indy to get Carimi at 22. 
    We take Moffitt at 92.

We then take backs and receivers with 125, 159 and 193.  What would be the harm in taking just 6 guys this year if we ended up with this?  It would make one heck of an interesting 1st day, but really boring 2nd day.  BB would never do this in a million years but the math works.

17.   DE JJ Watt
    19.   OLB Ryan Kerrigan
    22.   OT Gabe Carimi
    125.  WR Terrence Toliver
    159.  RB Bilal Powell
    193.  RB Mario Fannin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I've read a couple of times on here that we should trade pick 60 to a bad team for their 1st round pick next year.  Now I'm not saying it can't happen, but I kind of doubt it.  60 is a low 2nd rounder.  More importantly, if most of us on this board can name which teams are bad, don't you think that most of them realize they're bad too?  Why do we really think that they'll realistically trade a top 10 pick next year for 60 this year?  What player would be there that would really cause some team to make that trade?  Just not seeing it.
    Posted by paularnold

yup. better chance of trading the 33 for a 1st rounder. car perhaps? unfortunately, the two teams that do not have second roudner are both in the afc east.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : ... 17.   DE JJ Watt 19.   OLB Ryan Kerrigan 22.   OT Gabe Carimi 125.  WR Terrence Toliver 159.  RB Bilal Powell 193.  RB Mario Fannin
    Posted by Faucetman

holy cow...now that's quality over quantity. i would be jumping for joy. but of course i think we know bb too much to think that would play out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Faucetman Like Army's point if we are all not sure who to take ...........why not move up and get someone who will make a MASSIVE difference. National Football Post has an idea to trade with Arizona and get their 5th and 69th for our 28th, 33rd and 74th. Guess who?   PATRICK  PETERSON. Just think what he brings to the table knowing our secondary by figures and facts is still our weakest area. NFP gives really impressive arguments. You are still deliberating over DE, OL, OLB etc, etc. Draft is next week. WE will never have a better chance to get a player to make that much of a difference. Again if and when free agency comes back think of all the players that may be available. We CANNOT guess with our top picks and having read every discussion on this post I feel we need to give this serious thought. What about you?
    Posted by sydpat

I don't think BB will ever be in a position where he is not sure who to take.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : If we take Kerrigan, that would have been the earliest anyone on here has called our top pick that I know of.  What was it, September?  BB spent some time talking about the hybrid players today and there is absolutely no doubt that Kerrigan is cut from Patriot cloth. If we can get Kerrigan, Carimi and Wisniewski while moving around and stockpiling future picks, I'd be pretty stoked.  If we can get Watt, Kerrigan, Carimi and Moffitt, how sick would that be?  It is possible. If Watt is there at 17, take him.  Then trade 33 and 60 to move to 19 for Kerrigan Then trade 28 and 74 to Indy to get Carimi at 22.  We take Moffitt at 92. We then take backs and receivers with 125, 159 and 193.  What would be the harm in taking just 6 guys this year if we ended up with this?  It would make one heck of an interesting 1st day, but really boring 2nd day.  BB would never do this in a million years but the math works. 17.   DE JJ Watt 19.   OLB Ryan Kerrigan 22.   OT Gabe Carimi 125.  WR Terrence Toliver 159.  RB Bilal Powell 193.  RB Mario Fannin
    Posted by Faucetman

Would give Gainesville North a little Madison East flavor, ha.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

So with all the scuttlebutt about who has come in for a workout/closer look what position do you think is the smokesscreen? I'm calling the bringing in of all the QB's a major bluff,BB is simply trying too invoke a bidding war for the teams that need a QB to come to him. Or as the TV comercial for in the game MLB says well played Mauer!! Only substitute BB instead of Mauer...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : If we take Kerrigan, that would have been the earliest anyone on here has called our top pick that I know of.  What was it, September?  BB spent some time talking about the hybrid players today and there is absolutely no doubt that Kerrigan is cut from Patriot cloth. If we can get Kerrigan, Carimi and Wisniewski while moving around and stockpiling future picks, I'd be pretty stoked.  If we can get Watt, Kerrigan, Carimi and Moffitt, how sick would that be?  It is possible. If Watt is there at 17, take him.  Then trade 33 and 60 to move to 19 for Kerrigan Then trade 28 and 74 to Indy to get Carimi at 22.  We take Moffitt at 92. We then take backs and receivers with 125, 159 and 193.  What would be the harm in taking just 6 guys this year if we ended up with this?  It would make one heck of an interesting 1st day, but really boring 2nd day.  BB would never do this in a million years but the math works. 17.   DE JJ Watt 19.   OLB Ryan Kerrigan 22.   OT Gabe Carimi 125.  WR Terrence Toliver 159.  RB Bilal Powell 193.  RB Mario Fannin
    Posted by Faucetman
    Good to see Powell back in the discussion

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Posted by Faucetman

Sign me up for this mock. While it doesn't do much for next year, it sure loads up on quality talent this year. Can you imagine (I'm sure you have), Watt and Kerrigan added to our defense? Now that would be sick.

Lets assume for a second that this happened. Who are you targeting with the free agent money saved on Light and Kaczur? You didn't draft any top tier WR's or CB's. Are you thinking making a play for Ashomagu or possibly Joseph?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

OR

What if the draft unfolded whereby we get Watt at 17 and Carimi at 28 and all we have to do is move 33 wth pick 74 up to 22 to get Kerrigan.  Can you imagine that?

17.  Watt
    22.  Kerrigan
    28.  Carimi
    60.  Mark Ingram
    74.  traded
    92.  Moffitt 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Here is my latest stab at a mock

Trades:
    #17 to KC for #21 and #86
    #28 and #125 to TEN for #39, #77, and #109
    #92 to BUF for 2012 2nd Rd and #133

#21 Mike Pouncey-OG-Florida
    Currently our biggest hole on the roster.  Mankins may not be back, and we could start Connoly and Wendell at OG-yikes!  Brady's career may be cut short if we follow through.  Puncey is the top OG in the draft, and comes from one of BB's favorite schools.

#33 Mark Ingram-HB-Alabama
    With an abundance of picks, why not take a chance with the best HB in the draft.  BB drafts for value, not need, and Ingram is a potential stud.  Since we have so many picks, we should go for the top talent at HB, which is Ingram. He has the potential to be our #1 back that we've lacked since Corey Dillon.

#39 Jabaal Sheard-DE/OLB-Pittsburgh
    BB doesn't like taking conversion types in the 1st, so he adresses the need here.  Sheard has good size, and should help bolster our weak pass rush.  

#60 Christian Ballard-DE-Iowa
    Another favorite school of BB.  Ballard is a name that isn't mentioned too much on this board, but is a good pick here.  He is a good pass rusher, as well as a run defender.  Ballard is good value at this point in the draft.

#74 Joseph Barksdale-OT-LSU
    Many consider him the most technically sound lineman in the draft-Scar would love it.  BB doesn't take OL too early unless it is a pressing need, and I think BB feels Light will re-sign.  Barksdale is good value here, and could step in to the RT position (Vollmer at LT) after a year or so.

#77 Edmond Gates-WR-Abilene Christian
    A true burner.  Gates is fast, and has good hands.  He is the deep threat that the Pats lacked, and should improve our already potent offense.

#109 Buster Skrine-UT Chattenooga
    Another burner.  Skrine has blazing speed, and provides good ST value-a must at this point in the draft.  Skrine should compete with Wilhite to round out our CB crew.

#133 Greg McElroy-QB-Alabama
    A smart, accurate, Patriot-type player.  McElroy is a good developmental prospect, who should be a terriffic NFL backup.  The Pats are good a developing QB's so he may be even better.  If McElroy looks good in camp, he could allow the Pats to trade Hoyer-who should fetch decent value from a QB needy team.

#159 Ahmad Black-SS-Florida
    Yes there are height and speed concerns, but Ahmad Black is a football player. He is a hard hitting ball hawk, who plays hard every snap.  He is a team leader at one of BB's favorite schools.  He presents great value at this point, and should compete for one of the backup safety spots this season.

#193 Mark Herzlich-ILB-Boston College
    With their last pick, NE takes a chance on a local kid.  Herzlich is a tough, high character player, who used to be a first round prospect.  The Pats take injury risks, and in the 6th, it's well worth the risk on a hometown favorite.  At worst, he provides help on Special Teams, at best, he returns to top form and even provides some pass rush for the Pats.

We also get a 2012 2nd rounder, and fill every need.  Please give your feedback.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

OR What if the draft unfolded whereby we get Watt at 17 and Carimi at 28 and all we have to do is move 33 wth pick 74 up to 22 to get Kerrigan.  Can you imagine that? 17.  Watt 22.  Kerrigan 28.  Carimi 60.  Mark Ingram 74.  traded 92.  Moffitt 
    Posted by Faucetman

Ingram falling way too far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Be nice. This board is for discussing the draft, not being an a hole because you don't like someone elses's opinion or question...
    Posted by PatsLifer

Yeah, you're right. Way over the top. I felt it might be wrong but couldn't help myself. I apologize. Still, Ingram at 17? Please...............

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I think we can get a DE in round 2-5 that will improve what we have on the roster in Deaderick and possibly move inside and upgrade Pryor and some others. I posted earliler about this, and potential players we may want to target. I have no issues trading up early if we can grab some impact palyers, even if one of those is not a 3-4 DE.
    Posted by PatsLifer

thanks lifer,
          is it similar to the beginning of this mock by faucet? other than no de.
    one thing i hate about this board, if i click on your moniker to bring up your posts, it will only bring up a small amount of the last posts you made. if you click on more posts, the board brings you back to the post it is showing you; on the actual posting board. ie, there is no way to see more than the last several posts by someone other than going through the whole thread looking!....

so if i could refer back to your post i would.

"I have no issues trading up early if we can grab some impact players"

music to my ears!
    now if bb would only say that (and do it)!

thanks

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Be nice. This board is for discussing the draft, not being an a hole because you don't like someone elses's opinion or question...
    Posted by PatsLifer

i'll second that. 
    let's respect ourselves and respect others.

those that prefer otherwise i invite to post elsewhere.

peace

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Did everyone see these comments from BB in today's BG.com.  THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN? “I think you really have to wait until draft day, kind of see how it all plays out, but we’ve definitely been contacted by teams offering to move back and seeing if we want to move up,’’ Belichick said. “And we’ve also been contacted by teams behind us looking to move up into a better position.  “But there definitely seems to be a lot of interest in our draft picks and, as you know, we’re not afraid to trade them; we’ll do what’s best for the team. So we’ll evaluate those opportunities.’’ Belichick believes this draft ultimately will be judged by how teams evaluate players in the defensive front seven, especially “hybrid’’ players who could be converted from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker.  “The teams that are able to come out with the impact players in that group, [that] has a lot to do with who’s able to gain the most out of this draft, so that will be an interesting part of it,’’ Belichick said. Belichick believes there’s depth at the defensive end and offensive tackle spots this year; tackle appears to be an area of need for New England.  “Offensive tackle is a very interesting board with guys that can play [what] looks like left tackle but may have some flexibility to play right tackle,’’ he said. “There are some other players who are good tackles and have to move into guard. It’s definitely a group that has good depth.’’ I find the comments about hybrid players and OT particularly interesting.  He mentioned that he's had offers from team looking to trade back and trade up.  Since he almost never trades up in the first round I think he could trade back with all 3 of our first picks.  Hopefully they are small trades to gain something for the future while still getting his guy at each spot.
    Posted by Faucetman

re:

Belichick believes this draft ultimately will be judged by how teams evaluate players in the defensive front seven, especially “hybrid’’ players who could be converted from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker.  “The teams that are able to come out with the impact players in that group, [that] has a lot to do with who’s able to gain the most out of this draft, so that will be an interesting part of it,’’ Belichick said.

almost obvious to most im quessing. more to the point. ok youre right bb, go get us the most impactful player from this group

Since he almost never trades up in the first round I think he could trade back with all 3 of our first picks.

i hope that is not the case.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Posted by Faucetman

"If we can get Watt, Kerrigan, Carimi and Moffitt, how sick would that be?"  

it would be the kind of thing we're supposed to do with a team almost full with decent players and very young, with one of the best qb's in the game with a few stellar years left. a team that usually plays hard (14-2), but is shy a couple game-changers to go all the way.

i'll say it again, we dont have roomn for 9 avg players, nor do we need to get younger next year. we should trade out of next year into this year; get what we need. give them the regular season to get it down and focus on the next 3 years (including this one) for super bowl runs.

"BB would never do this in a million years but the math works. "

that's why i repeat, we need to get you working in his office :)

the one catch,

pretty dicey with both of these scenarios in and of themselves

that watt goes to 17

and maybe moreso that kerrigan goes to 19

long odds for both happening AND US BEING IN POSITION TO GET THEM.

however, whatever magic we've got, 
    and includiing offering next year picks
    we need to land a draft like this.

ps faucet,

i'm glad you took pouncey out. dont like him.
    moffit back in, like it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

OR What if the draft unfolded whereby we get Watt at 17 and Carimi at 28 and all we have to do is move 33 wth pick 74 up to 22 to get Kerrigan.  Can you imagine that? 17.  Watt 22.  Kerrigan 28.  Carimi 60.  Mark Ingram 74.  traded 92.  Moffitt 
    Posted by Faucetman

again yes,
    this kind of draft!
    (glad after 3 months, someone is finally hearing me :)  [said wryly].

dont see carimi lasting to 28 though, do you?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Carimi is a 2nd rounder

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

PETER KING'S MOCKis out.
    well its out thursday but is leaked.

he has a great mock in that he says who teams "will pick" (hope hes wrong with our 17) and who they "should pick" at each position.

interestingly he says jacksonville will pick kerrigan, but should pick aldon smith. sound like he thinks smith will be better player.

he says we should pick watt, but will pick pouncey. 
    i dont like pouncy.
    i think we can get o line after de and olb pass rushers.

has us trading out of 28 (to tenn) but doesnt say what we get with it. ends at first round.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

NFL DRAFT ONLINE.
    anyone know online sites doing a live draft evaluation online, especially if patriot focused (or at all). 

non tv watcher looking for a place to watch the draft online.

thanks

Sections
Shortcuts