2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

The new all Patriots site..check it out!!!! 60 Max Power O - Your source to NE football - You'll leave smarter

The new all Patriots site..check it out!!!! 

60 Max Power O - Your source to NE football - You'll 

leave smarter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : 3 Chances: fat, slim and none. Man, have you been living under a rock? I probably shouldn't be responding; just encourages more time wasters like this. Nevertheless, I felt compassion and wait, you're just joking.........aren't you? If not, you're due for a demotion, lieutenant. 
    Posted by teegee[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?  Have you been living under a rock?  BB is the most unpredictable person in the draft and you are saying for certain that he won't select Ingram.  Do you know the history with him and Saban?  Do you also know that he thinks that there is a wealth of talent at OL and DL this year? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Be nice. This board is for discussing the draft, not being an a hole because you don't like someone elses's opinion or question...
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Amen brother, lets talk football..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Whew..finally finished reading all 5500+ posts.
    Is this considered a living document ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Whew..finally finished reading all 5500+ posts. Is this considered a living document ?
    Posted by rochfan[/QUOTE]

Living, breathing and will enshrined in the Boston Globe hall of fame. I'm working on trying to get it into the Patriots hall of fame. We really should have a fan section there and this post in it's entirety should be included!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Living, breathing and will enshrined in the Boston Globe hall of fame. I'm working on trying to get it into the Patriots hall of fame. We really should have a fan section there and this post in it's entirety should be included!
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

And a 99.99% non-DB thread at that, which is more than I can say for a majority of the threads out there that resort to ad hominem attacks in lieu of actual football talk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Whew..finally finished reading all 5500+ posts. Is this considered a living document ?
    Posted by rochfan[/QUOTE]

It lives it breathes and it evolves. One day when I have the hours to kill I'd love to go over the entire 5500+ posts and just see how things have changed and how the general feelings about players have changed over the course of a college season up until now.

This is one thread I hope to return to in 3 years and just see which players made the leap from the college ranks to the pro's successfully and how many of us cast them out or find that diamond in the rough

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Tenacuioust:If Carimi slips into the second round it would surprise many teams(probably the Pats among them)and the Pats would get a dozen calls or more about trading the 33rd overall pick.Unless N.E. tabs an OL,and on the first round,and maybe even if they do,or has already traded the pick(and I wouldn't look for such a deal until the completion of the first round,but who knows what B.B. will do)Carimi would almost have to be a more than serious consideration at 33.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Put together a lil combine vid comparing the two Pounceys

http://www.youtube.com/user/patriotsfootballplc

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]            Tenacuioust:If Carimi slips into the second round it would surprise many teams(probably the Pats among them)and the Pats would get a dozen calls or more about trading the 33rd overall pick.Unless N.E. tabs an OL,and on the first round,and maybe even if they do,or has already traded the pick(and I wouldn't look for such a deal until the completion of the first round,but who knows what B.B. will do)Carimi would almost have to be a more than serious consideration at 33.
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

Anything is possible, but I don't see Carimi getting out of Rd 1.  I'd also be a bit suprised if NE passes on him with both 17 & 28, assuming he's available at both and they haven't traded either pick.  The kid looks like a day 1 starter at RT with the upside to potentially move to leftside down the road.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PMacPatFan. Show PMacPatFan's posts

Low et al,

This thread has been magnificent! There are so many of us who look forward to reading it daily. Thank you!

And thanks for the above link....it led me to this 14 minute insight into BB.

http://www.youtube.com/user/patriotsfootballplc#p/u/3/a-RtQbLVObc

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I'm totally confused...I'm back to square one...I'll start over with what I do  know...the Vikings trade pick #12...because they can't get a pick done in time....it's a start....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Low et al, This thread has been magnificent! There are so many of us who look forward to reading it daily. Thank you! And thanks for the above link....it led me to this 14 minute insight into BB. http://www.youtube.com/user/patriotsfootballplc#p/u/3/a-RtQbLVObc
    Posted by PMacPatFan[/QUOTE]

PMPF,
    Great link! Glad you enjoy the thread.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Low, do you run the Patsfootball pick YouTube page?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Low, do you run the Patsfootball pick YouTube page?
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

yes

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Nice, cool vids, do you have other people work on the page too?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Nice, cool vids, do you have other people work on the page too?
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

No right now just me on all the pages... wish i had others.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegeeman. Show teegeeman's posts

Best Wishes

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Low,
    How do you get access to all the material?  Some of it seems to be really official.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Saw Faucet's recommendation to trade up multiple picks for studs, I'm not against it but believe there's a goal from BB to add 2012 picks.  Right now they only have 1 per round for the 1st 5 rounds, so 5 total.  I don't think BB will like not having any flexibility in the draft. 

I think there's good value and some players who could make an impact day one.  There are questions about these guys but the same can be said about higher ranked players.

Last year Vick was sacked 49 times, only car, Arz and Chicago allowed more sacks.  They have a left tackle but do not have a blind side RT (Vick left handed).  If the Eagles decide to move up to take Castonzo or Carimi who IMO would be gone by 23 the Pats at 17 are the right spot.  One of those two OTs if not both should be there and it is before the Giants and Indy pick.
    For 17 (950) Phi trades 23 (760), 85 (165) 153 (30) total point value 955.  Phily gets either OT Pats get 23 and a few other tradable picks.

At 23 still value at moving back in the draft, Atl and NO need a pass rusher IF Bowers or Clayborn are there at 23 Atl jumps ahead of NO to get their pass rusher.  For atlanta Rudolph is an option but pass rush is a bigger need.
    23 (760) NE gets 27 (680) 123 (49) 155 (29) total 758.

17 turns into 27, 85, 123, 153, 155.

28 Traded, seems to be a popular trade for SD's 50 and 61, lets keep that going.
    33 Traded 2012 1st and 2011 3rd #66, Will say it will be the Cincy.  That coaching staff needs to win this year, if not they will be gone.  This move (2012 1st) allows them to keep 35 as well as getting 33 so they will get 3 of the top 35 players picked.  But don't worry they'll still screw that up.

NE trades up 50 and 92 for 40 and 143

27 - Cameron Heyward DE
    There's strong leadership with VW and Ty in place, they will demand Heyward plays out every down.  If he does this is great value at 27.
    40 - Justin Houston OLB
    Year of tape at 34 OLB, immediate pass rush upgrade.  Needs to develop coverage skills.
    61 - James Carpenter OT/OG
    Good versitable OL, can play RT or kick inside.  Pro style O at Alabama.
    62 - Traded 2012 2nd Seattle and #99
    66 - Edmond Gates WR
    Speed outside WR, will give TB the deep threat
    74 - Traded 2012 2nd Rnd Was
    85 - Jordan Todman RB
    A mix of BJGE and Woody, will need to improve catching.  didn't do much of it but had 21 receptions.
    99 - John Moffitt OG/C
    Bring the Nasty back, could make a push to start at RG if Mankins returns.  Learn O and replace Koppen in a year.
    101 - (123 and 125 traded) Marcus Gilbert OT/OG
    IMO a solid OL, RT or OG
    153 - Mark Herzlich OLB
    He can play STs, OLB and ILB he will only get better.
    159 - Justin Rogers CB
    Practice squad but has skills to push for playing time, if develops a heck of a nickle CB with excellent ball skills.
    193 - Mark LeGree FS
    Ballhawk FS, Small school guy who will need to develop.

2012 picks:
    1st (Cincy)
    2nd (Seattle) and (Was)  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Sportsman. Show 4Sportsman's posts

With this being my first post, I would like to thank all the regular posters for the enjoyment you've brought reading this thread since September. Great job by Mb,Faucetman, etc. my hat is off to all of you. Now on to the draft, the one needy position in my opinion is OL. At pick #17 BB will select Carimi, then with picks #28 and 33 the wheeling and dealing begins!! The Pats will come away with 4 2nd this year as well as 2012 extra picks.

My name is Mike, and I'm a draftnik!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : And a 99.99% non-DB thread at that, which is more than I can say for a majority of the threads out there that resort to ad hominem attacks in lieu of actual football talk.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

teegee and army2lt:

from mb,

"And a 99.99% non-DB thread at that, which is more than I can say for a majority of the threads out there that resort to ad hominem attacks in lieu of actual football talk. "

teegee in your last post on 4/20, i was glad that after a lapse on 4/19 posts, you re-joined the values and atmosphere created here in this community on this thread, the long held and adhered to culture of respecting one another, even when we differ. even when provoked recently you held back and stayed in the culture we work to maintain. for that i respect you.

army2lt, the statements, "have you been living under a rock D---bag" and
    "you dont't know how dumb you really are do you", are not consistent with the unspoken agreements (sometimes spoken) and sentiments of the posters here on this thread. It isn't like the other threads on boston.com. there is a different behavior expected out of each one of us: respect yourself and respect others. refrain from derision, one- upping, and demonization, etc  (there are healthier ways and more appropriate places for us to address feelings of insecurity).
       i am glad you later returned to say, "let's talk football"

thanks everyone for making this a place we can talk about patriots football and THAT can be the focus.

we all have different opinions, and as a result we grow. we are different people, not the same; therefore we can expect to be of different minds much of the time. diversity is a wealth and results in us being better for it.

even if someone errs or you feel attacked, dont take the bait. stay with our shared passion about football. realize we are all here on this thread for that reason. ...and the world does not need more violence and enmity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]   With this being my first post, I would like to thank all the regular posters for the enjoyment you've brought reading this thread since September. Great job by Mb,Faucetman, etc. my hat is off to all of you. Now on to the draft, the one needy position in my opinion is OL. At pick #17 BB will select Carimi, then with picks #28 and 33 the wheeling and dealing begins!! The Pats will come away with 4 2nd this year as well as 2012 extra picks. My name is Mike, and I'm a draftnik!
    Posted by 4Sportsman[/QUOTE]

4S,
    Welcome to the thread, glad to help, agree, there are a lot of smart posters on here with some excellent football knowledge and ideas.

I agree that OL could be an area of concern (due to the uncertainty of free agency and/or Mankins/Light), and will likely be targeted at some point in the draft, potentially Rd 1 with Carimi or Castonzo or Pouncey or Watkins etc.  However, it's not the biggest area of need IMO, as that remains OLB where they really lack much starting caliber talent at the position.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In regards to the OLB discussion, particularly potential options at 17, I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.  The consensus out there is that Aldon Smith is this ultra-athletic kid with huge upside while Kerrigan is an average to OK athlete that may have reached his potential. 

If athleticism is the discussion and we're basing things an pure speed, quicks and athletic ability the consensus would be incorrect in their assumption based on what we saw at the combine, results below:

Player4010 yd3 ConeSSVertBenchBroad Jump
    Smith4.741.667.194.520349.1
    Kerrigan4.671.617.184.393133.510.02

What we see, and this is based purely on times, is that Kerrigan is faster overall (40), quicker off the snap (10 yd), quicker laterally (SS), has quicker COD (3C), is stronger (bench), has more lower body explosion (broad jump), though Smith can jump a little higher (vert).

Again, what can we glean from this?  IMO, Kerrigan is either a better athlete than given credit for, has put in the time to ensure that he tested well, which again speaks to his preparation or finally, is Smith a bit overrated as an athlete?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In regards to the OLB discussion, particularly potential options at 17, I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.  The consensus out there is that Aldon Smith is this ultra-athletic kid with huge upside while Kerrigan is an average to OK athlete that may have reached his potential.  If athleticism is the discussion and we're basing things an pure speed, quicks and athletic ability the consensus would be incorrect in their assumption based on what we saw at the combine, results below: Player 40 10 yd 3 Cone SS Vert Bench Broad Jump Smith 4.74 1.66 7.19 4.5 20 34 9.1 Kerrigan 4.67 1.61 7.18 4.39 31 33.5 10.02                             What we see, and this is based purely on times, is that Kerrigan is faster overall (40), quicker off the snap (10 yd), quicker laterally (SS), has quicker COD (3C), is stronger (bench), has more lower body explosion (broad jump), though Smith can jump a little higher (vert). Again, what can we glean from this?  IMO, Kerrigan is either a better athlete than given credit for, has put in the time to ensure that he tested well, which again speaks to his preparation or finally, is Smith a bit overrated as an athlete?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Adding Houston if you don't mind, I know there are some questions surrounding him but believe he's an option based on value where he might be picked (late 1st early 2nd?)

4.62 40yb 1.62 10yd 2.61 20yd  4.37 shuttle  6.95 3 cone  36.5" vertical  30 reps at 6'3" 270 lbs.

03/22/11 - Georgia defensive end Justin Houston ran about as expected at the team's pro day Tuesday, slightly improving on his 4.62 40 at the Combine by timing in the high 4.5's on some watches. He also looked solid in position drills, showing good foot quickness and balance when changing directions. Houston's versatility as a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB or 4-3 defensive end (in systems where being a shade under 6-3 is not a concern) makes him a coveted prospect. Unlike many college defensive ends transitioning into the 3-4, Houston does have some experience rushing from a stand-up position. But his "linebacker" work comprised mostly of chasing the quarterback, so he would have to work on other aspects of his game to be more than a specialist at the next level. Former Ohio State star Vernon Gholston, recently released by the Jets after taking him with the sixth overall selection in 2006, tested simiarly to Houston coming out of school but struggled to make the transition to the 3-4 outside linebacker position. That's one reason Houston may, instead, be a mid-to-late first round pick to Tampa Bay or New Orleans as a weak-side defensive end. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com