Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You have to think Luiget is an option, not only will he upgrade sub interior pass rush he's had experience playing DE and NT.  Guy is short of 6'3" but is reporterly very strong.  Not saying he's the answer at 34 DE but he's an intreguing kid to me. I don't like Austin at all, when coaches and players who usually say nothing but good things about all draftees except for Austin.  They say he's a me first, selfish guy.  Not thank you. Pea I like, blue collar type player who plays for 60 minutes.  He'll find himself a spot IMO.  With his strength he might even be an option at NT for some plays. Nevis do not know much about to be honest. Out of the four, I'm with you MB Luiget can be a nice little toy for BB to use all over the place.  I've seen him go as high as 12 to Min.
    Posted by Pats7393

I like Liuget as well. He's a tad under the bar for 3-4 DE, but given what I have seen, I would try our luck wiht him there and at 4-3 DT at the right spot.

Problem is I think he is right in the middle of the 1st round possibly, or slightly below. I've seen him mocked anywhere from 11-32. I think I woudl only consider him if Watt, Kerrigan are gone, and we are not drafting Carimi at 17 if he is still on the board. Again, like with Watt, I would like to see what people think in temrs of how he stacks up/compares to Watt in terms of how we can use him and value relative to Watt and where Watt mgiht be taken.

I find it interesting that Mayock came out and said Watt was the best 5 tech he has seen, yet, Watt is rated as the 27th best player?...If that is the case, you go to think he should talked about in the top 15.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    from wes bunting himself (on nick fairley).... even going far as suggesting the patriots go up and get him if he falls (i'm still seeing him mocked 1 to oblivion-i think he goes 8-12) and that he IS THE CLOSEST THING TO SEYMOUR SINCE SEYMOUR and on the pats he'd be an ALL PRO. he can mature with the right leadership (locker room): As I’ve said before and will say again, I think Auburn DT Nick Fairley is the most talented defensive lineman in this year’s draft. It’s rare to find a 6-4, 295-pound kid with the movement skills that he possesses. He possesses natural pass-rushing skills, is powerful on contact, sudden when asked to disengage and closes extremely well for his size. Overall, I think from a talent perspective he has All-Pro type ability. Fairley is an elite talent. Therefore, why is he falling? Here are some quotes I have received from NFL talent evaluators on Fairley… “He still acts like a JUCO kid.” “He’s immature.” “He acts likes a rapper.” “He draws attention to himself.” “Questionable work ethic and didn’t compete hard in all the drills at the Combine.” Get the point? Overall, he’s a 23-year-old kid who still has a lot of maturing and growing up to do. But, in all honesty, what 23-year-old doesn’t? So often we look at where the maturity level of a kid like Fairley is now only, and automatically assume he’s never going to change. However, what if you put him in an environment with structure? Leadership? Veteran mentors? I’m not saying that Fairley hasn’t had that during his upbringing or time at Auburn, but when I watch this guy on tape I just don’t buy into the fact he doesn’t have a passion for the game. Sure, his motor runs both hot and cold at times -- like plenty of NFL defensive linemen -- but when a play is needed to be made, that motor is on high and he makes it. Therefore, teams that have questions about the leadership in their locker room and don’t have a real respected veteran voice along the defensive line should pass on Fairley as I think it’s best for both sides. However, if this guy begins to slide at all on draft day, a team like the Patriots, who have had success with outcast players buying into the system and consistently get the most out of talented defensive linemen, would be smart to potentially make a run at Fairley and use some of those draft picks to go up and get him. Honestly, from a physical/athletic standpoint, he might be the closest thing to Richard Seymour since Richard Seymour and I can see Fairley not only maturing as a person under the leadership in place in New England but also developing into one of the league's best defensive linemen during his time there as well. The case of Nick Fairley will be an interesting one to watch come draft weekend and ultimately where he ends up will end up playing a major role on just how good he becomes at the next level.
    Posted by brdbreu

There is no denying his physical talent, but in all honesty, given his immaturity, and dirty play on the field, I'm not sure I would take this kid if he slipped down. I don't know if his immaturity can be coached up or mentored, but if it could, and he wouldn't pose a problem on or off the field, yes, I like the way he plays. Lots of big if's here however. I think coaching and locker room mentoring are a bit overstated. Not saying they can't help, but you have to have a kid who is willing to change. His latest crap at the combine about missing flights, meetings, etc. does not bode well for someone trying to improve his draft stock and persona.

If you give me the choice between taking a high character, high motor, kid like Kerrigan at 16/17 or possibly trading up a few spots to grab a great physical talent but big question mark around character and effort, it's actually a quite easy decision for me...take Kerrigan. If we are hung up on drafting a DE, I would rather put my money on Heyward or Wilkerson who are clean and can be had later. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

from wes bunting himself (on nick fairley).... even going far as suggesting the patriots go up and get him if he falls (i'm still seeing him mocked 1 to oblivion-i think he goes 8-12) and that he IS THE CLOSEST THING TO SEYMOUR SINCE SEYMOUR and on the pats he'd be an ALL PRO. he can mature with the right leadership (locker room): As I’ve said before and will say again, I think Auburn DT Nick Fairley is the most talented defensive lineman in this year’s draft. It’s rare to find a 6-4, 295-pound kid with the movement skills that he possesses. He possesses natural pass-rushing skills, is powerful on contact, sudden when asked to disengage and closes extremely well for his size. Overall, I think from a talent perspective he has All-Pro type ability. Fairley is an elite talent. Therefore, why is he falling? Here are some quotes I have received from NFL talent evaluators on Fairley… “He still acts like a JUCO kid.” “He’s immature.” “He acts likes a rapper.” “He draws attention to himself.” “Questionable work ethic and didn’t compete hard in all the drills at the Combine.” Get the point? Overall, he’s a 23-year-old kid who still has a lot of maturing and growing up to do. But, in all honesty, what 23-year-old doesn’t? So often we look at where the maturity level of a kid like Fairley is now only, and automatically assume he’s never going to change. However, what if you put him in an environment with structure? Leadership? Veteran mentors? I’m not saying that Fairley hasn’t had that during his upbringing or time at Auburn, but when I watch this guy on tape I just don’t buy into the fact he doesn’t have a passion for the game. Sure, his motor runs both hot and cold at times -- like plenty of NFL defensive linemen -- but when a play is needed to be made, that motor is on high and he makes it. Therefore, teams that have questions about the leadership in their locker room and don’t have a real respected veteran voice along the defensive line should pass on Fairley as I think it’s best for both sides. However, if this guy begins to slide at all on draft day, a team like the Patriots, who have had success with outcast players buying into the system and consistently get the most out of talented defensive linemen, would be smart to potentially make a run at Fairley and use some of those draft picks to go up and get him. Honestly, from a physical/athletic standpoint, he might be the closest thing to Richard Seymour since Richard Seymour and I can see Fairley not only maturing as a person under the leadership in place in New England but also developing into one of the league's best defensive linemen during his time there as well. The case of Nick Fairley will be an interesting one to watch come draft weekend and ultimately where he ends up will end up playing a major role on just how good he becomes at the next level.
    Posted by brdbreu

Isnt he slipping way down boards more becasue teams think he might need microfracture surgery on his knee than his attitude? (if there is the chance of microfracture i say avoid!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Isnt he slipping way down boards more becasue teams think he might need microfracture surgery on his knee than his attitude? (if there is the chance of microfracture i say avoid!)
    Posted by Quagmire3

Quag,
    I believe Bowers is the kid slipping due to medical red flags.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

With this being my first post, I would like to thank all the regular posters for the enjoyment you've brought reading this thread since September. Great job by Mb,Faucetman, etc. my hat is off to all of you. Now on to the draft, the one needy position in my opinion is OL. At pick #17 BB will select Carimi, then with picks #28 and 33 the wheeling and dealing begins!! The Pats will come away with 4 2nd this year as well as 2012 extra picks. My name is Mike, and I'm a draftnik!
    Posted by 4Sportsman

Mike,

Nice to meet you.  Thanks.  Wow, I turn my back on this thread for one day and fall 6 pages behind.  Carimi at 17 would be a solid pick and represent great value.  He steps in at RT from Day 1 moving Vollmer to LT.  Light as a F/A wouldn't be offered a contract when the lock out ends, he just walks and we get a 2012 3rd round comp pick for him.  We then cut Kaczur or perhaps try to kick him inside.  If cut, we have saved $10MM from this one draft pick alone (cost avoidance of keeping Light, cutting Kaczur).  The Pats can then be active in a key F/A.

I do believe the Pats will make just one selection in the first round.  They will end up with 4 selections in the 2nd round.  I don't believe they make a pick at 17, I think it is moved back to the 20s.  For who, it's anyone's guess.  All of this wheeling and dealing will net them 1 first, 4 seconds, 2 thirds and at least an extra 2nd and 3rd next year, maybe even a first next year.  They will also find a way to get a 7th this year.

I have a strong feeling that if Watt or Jordan are there at 17, they might just take one of them.  If both are gone and Kerrigan is there, they might just take him.  If all three are gone, they trade back and look to take an OT before the top 5 are gone.  I could even see them trading back 17 multiple times.  Sherrod would also be of interest because he is more of a LT than a RT.  Solder is a bit of a project but I could see BB loving his size/speed combo and feeling the Pats do the best job of coaching up the OL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I like Liuget as well. He's a tad under the bar for 3-4 DE, but given what I have seen, I would try our luck wiht him there and at 4-3 DT at the right spot. Problem is I think he is right in the middle of the 1st round possibly, or slightly below. I've seen him mocked anywhere from 11-32. I think I woudl only consider him if Watt, Kerrigan are gone, and we are not drafting Carimi at 17 if he is still on the board. Again, like with Watt, I would like to see what people think in temrs of how he stacks up/compares to Watt in terms of how we can use him and value relative to Watt and where Watt mgiht be taken. I find it interesting that Mayock came out and said Watt was the best 5 tech he has seen, yet, Watt is rated as the 27th best player?...If that is the case, you go to think he should talked about in the top 15.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I'm still catching up but stopped on this post.  Lifer, did you see the Butch Davis interview yesterday on PttD?  He had nothing but praise for Marvin Austin.  In fact he described a 30 min press conference he gave at UNC's Pro Day in front of all 32 teams where he talked about what good kids Austin, Quinn and Little were.  He said they each made a mistake which cost them the season but they weren't involved in criminal activities, it was a NCAA rules violation and that each made a dumb choice and have accepted responsibility for their mistakes.  Each player has been working hard to stay in shape and prepare themselves for their pro career and that he gives all three his strong recommendation.

That said, I am not sold that the Pats feel DL is a top need like many on here.  I agree with the arguments, I just don't think BB does.  But if we consider which positions/players we could draft that can step in and start or contribute day ONE I think outside of Watt/Jordan there isn't a DL type there when operating in a base 34.  If we are looking for a nickel 43 DT for passing situations, I think a slipping Fairley, a Liuget or Austin could come in day 1 and give us some interior speed and pressure up the middle.  I would like Fairley at 17 or either Austin or Liuget in that 28 - 33 range.  We have problems getting off the field on 3rd down and adding an interior DT type that is explosive would seem valuable in addressing that.

Austin would have been a top 15 pick if not for the incident with the agent. He was the most dominant player in his all star game.  He's been doing everything right this post season.  He has something to prove and I believe who ever gets him will get a player possessed who will be extremely disruptive.  If BB becomes comfortable with the kid, look at Austin's measurables compared to the other top 43 DT talent?

Dareus 6-3, 319, 4.93, 24 reps
    Fairley 6-4, 291, 4.84, N/A reps
    Liuget 6-2, 298, 4.97 31 reps
    Wilkerson 6-4, 315, 4.96, 27 reps
    Paea 6-1, 303, 4.98, 49 reps
    Austin 6-2, 309, 4.84, 38 reps

Austin's 4.84 ties Fairley as the best in this group and he's 18 lbs heavier!!  His 38 reps were easily the best except for super human Paea who has some injury concerns.  I'll make this prediction, if Austin keeps his head on straight he could end up being the best pro in this group. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

FYI article in this morning's San Jose Mercury News saying OAK made a mistake in trading for Seymour, they'd be better off with this #17.  Yes, he's helped the defense make baby steps, but not that appreciable, better off with the pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Quag, I believe Bowers is the kid slipping due to medical red flags.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

your right, thanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

To get off the field on third down we have to upgrade our nickel defense.  This is the alignment we were in against the first Jet's game last year, a week 2 loss.

DL: Mike Wright
    DL: Vince Wilfork
    DL: Myron Pryor
    DL: Tully Banta-Cain
    LB: Jerod Mayo
    LB: Gary Guyton
    CB: Devin McCourty
    CB: Darius Butler
    CB: Jonathan Wilhite
    S: Patrick Chung
    S: Brandon Meriweather

The Guyton/Mayo tandem is one of the fastest in football in these situations.  Butler was certainly a weak link so getting Bodden back will help that. 

The Pats employ a number of nickel sets including sometimes, 1 DL, 5 LBs and 5 DB.  Improving speed at LB in those sets and getting another playmaker in the secondary would seem logical to do.  But going back to our base nickel, 4-2-5 set and looking at draft options and returning players we could do this.

DL: Mike Wright
    DL: Ty Warren replaces Vince Wilfork
    DL: (28) Marvin Austin replaces Myron Pryor
    DL: (17) Ryan Kerrigan replaces Tully Banta-Cain
    LB: Jerod Mayo
    LB: (60) Bruce Carter potentially replaces Gary Guyton
    CB: Devin McCourty
    CB: Leigh Bodden replaces Darius Butler
    CB: Kyle Arrington replaces Jonathan Wilhite
    S: Patrick Chung
    S: Brandon Meriweather

The addition of Kerrigan and Austin and getting Bodden and Warren back would go a long way to improving the speed and rush of our base nickel.  Bruce Carter is a play maker and although slower than Guyton his instincts are far better.  Carter has been cleared to work out before the draft and Butch Davis said yesterday that no team has ruled him out for scheme reasons. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

FYI article in this morning's San Jose Mercury News saying OAK made a mistake in trading for Seymour, they'd be better off with this #17.  Yes, he's helped the defense make baby steps, but not that appreciable, better off with the pick.
    Posted by Critter23

Critter, I cant find it do you have a link? Thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Put together a complete two round mock, think I don't have too many "WHAT THE $*@( WAS HE THINKING!" picks

and I'll throw this out there, how much better can Carolina get this year without Gabbert or Newton?  Not much, so they were a couple of game worst than Den.  Point is, Andrew Luck a Panther in 2012.  I know that's a big gamble but for Luck, I'll take those odds!

PickTeamTradePlayerPosit.
    1Car-A.J. GreenWR
    2Den-Marcell DareusDT
    3Buf-Patrick PetersonCB
    4Cin-Julio JonesWR
    5Arz-Blaine GabbertQB
    6Ten6Cam NewtonQB
    7SF-Von MillerOLB
    8Cle8, 77Robert QuinnDE
    9Det9Prince AmukamaraCB
    10Was-Jake LockerQB
    11StL11, 138Nick FairleyDT
    12Min-Corey LiugetDT
    13Dal13, 215Tyron SmithOT
    14Hou14, 78Phil TaylorNT
    15SD15J.J. WattDE
    16Jac-Cameron JordanDE
    17Phi17Anthony CastonzoOT
    18Mia18, 82Mike PounceyC/OG
    19NYG-Nate SolderOT
    20TB-Da'quan BowersDE
    21KC-Gabe CarimiOT
    22Ind-Derek SherrodOT
    23NE23, 85, 149Ryan KerriganOLB
    24NO-Aldon SmithDE
    25Sea-Adrian ClaybornDE
    26Bal-Jimmy SmithCB
    27NYJ27Cameron HeywardDE
    28Cin28Christian PonderQB
    29Chi-Danny WatkinsOT/OG
    30Atl30, 126, 194Justin HoustonDE
    31Pit-Ben IjalanaOG/OT
    32GB-Mark IngramRB

2nd Round   
    33SD 33, 125Torrey SmithWR
    34Buf-Jabaal SheardOLB/DE
    35NE35, 101, 167Muhammad WilkersonDE
    36Den-Kyle RudolphTE
    37Cle-Akeem AyersOLB
    38Arz-Brooks ReedOLB
    39Hou39Ras-I-DowlingCB
    40Dal-Marcus CannonOT
    41Was-Mikel LeShoureRB
    42Ten42, 138Martez WilsonILB
    43Min-Andy DaltonQB
    44Det-Rodney HudsonOG/C
    45SF-Randall CobbWR
    46TB46Bruce CarterOLB
    47StL-Leonard HankersonWR
    48Oak-Chimdi ChekwaCB
    49Jac-Aaron WilliamsS
    50NE50, 61James CarpenterOT
    51Den51, 116Brandon HarrisCB
    52NYG-Stephen PaeaDT
    53Ind-Stefen WisniewskiOG/C
    54Chi54Jon BaldwinWR
    55KC-Kendrick EllisNT
    56NO-Marvin AustinDT
    57Sea-Colin KaepernickQB
    58Bal-Rahim MooreFS
    59Atl-Luke StockerTE
    60Jac(NE 2012 2nd, #80)Ryan MalletQB
    61NE50, 61Edmond GatesWR
    62Phi62, 127, 160Davon HouseCB
    63Pit-Brandon BurtonCB
    64GB-Sam AchoOLB

74WASTraded 2012 2nd 
    80NE-Jordan TodmanRB
    85NE-John MoffittOG/C
    92SFfor 108 and 115
    101NE Marcus GilbertOT/OG
    108PhiTraded 2012 3rd
    115NE-Lawrence GuyDE
    149NE-Mark HerzlichOLB
    159OakTraded 2012 4th
    167NE-Justin RogersCB
    193NE-Mark LeGreeFS
    2012 Picks   
    2 - 2nd Rnd (Jac, Was)  
    1 - 3rd Rnd (Phi)  
    1 - 4th Rnd (Oak)  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

put up new video

Under-Armor Under-Wear Wars Cameron Jordan vs JJ Watt

http://www.youtube.com/user/patriotsfootballplc

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Peter Kings mock has JJ Watt falling into the 2nd round?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Mike, Nice to meet you.  Thanks.  Wow, I turn my back on this thread for one day and fall 6 pages behind.  Carimi at 17 would be a solid pick and represent great value.  He steps in at RT from Day 1 moving Vollmer to LT.  Light as a F/A wouldn't be offered a contract when the lock out ends, he just walks and we get a 2012 3rd round comp pick for him.  We then cut Kaczur or perhaps try to kick him inside.  If cut, we have saved $10MM from this one draft pick alone (cost avoidance of keeping Light, cutting Kaczur).  The Pats can then be active in a key F/A. I do believe the Pats will make just one selection in the first round.  They will end up with 4 selections in the 2nd round.  I don't believe they make a pick at 17, I think it is moved back to the 20s.  For who, it's anyone's guess.  All of this wheeling and dealing will net them 1 first, 4 seconds, 2 thirds and at least an extra 2nd and 3rd next year, maybe even a first next year.  They will also find a way to get a 7th this year. I have a strong feeling that if Watt or Jordan are there at 17, they might just take one of them.  If both are gone and Kerrigan is there, they might just take him.  If all three are gone, they trade back and look to take an OT before the top 5 are gone.  I could even see them trading back 17 multiple times.  Sherrod would also be of interest because he is more of a LT than a RT.  Solder is a bit of a project but I could see BB loving his size/speed combo and feeling the Pats do the best job of coaching up the OL.
    Posted by Faucetman

4 picks in the 2nd?  I'm not too sure if we'll go that route this year.  Although there is great talent there, I've been thinking about OL Ted Larsen from last year.  We had to cut him because thee weren't enough roster spots to go around.  He ended up in TB and started 11 games for them.  I just don't think there are enough spots to go around.  We have players upon players, but what we truly need at this point are game changers.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Here is how I see it going down, IMO, I would love a draft like this.
    Stay put at 17 and pick either JJ Watt, Mike Pouncey or Costanzo.
    trade 28 to San Diego for 50 and 61.
    Trade 33 to minnesotta for 43 and their second rounder next year.

We end up with 17, 43, 50, 60, 61, 74 and 92.

@17 JJ Watt or Pouncey or Costanzo.
    @43 OLB Brooks Reed?
    @50 RB Mikel Leshoure
    @60 Best G/C/T available
    @61 WR Leonard Hankerson
    @74 OLB Sam Acho
    @92 S Jaiquawn Jarrett or trade it for a 2nd next year?

Get a stud DE or Olineman in the first round, grab two possible 3-4 OLB's in Reed and Acho, pick up a bruiser in Leshoure, add beef to the oline with pick number 60 and grab a decent safety in the third or deal it away and grab a 2nd for next year. Improbable but IMO more realistic then us moving up in the first, staying pat at all our picks or grabbing a guy like Ingram at 17( are you people out of your mind? Ingram at 17? lol)  My mock addresses our major needs, DE/OLB/OLine/RB/ big WR. We also add two extra second rounders for next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Here is how I see it going down, IMO, I would love a draft like this. Stay put at 17 and pick either JJ Watt, Mike Pouncey or Costanzo. trade 28 to San Diego for 50 and 61. Trade 33 to minnesotta for 43 and their second rounder next year. We end up with 17, 43, 50, 60, 61, 74 and 92. @17 JJ Watt or Pouncey or Costanzo. @43 OLB Brooks Reed? @50 RB Mikel Leshoure @60 Best G/C/T available @61 WR Leonard Hankerson @74 OLB Sam Acho @92 S Jaiquawn Jarrett or trade it for a 2nd next year? Get a stud DE or Olineman in the first round, grab two possible 3-4 OLB's in Reed and Acho, pick up a bruiser in Leshoure, add beef to the oline with pick number 60 and grab a decent safety in the third or deal it away and grab a 2nd for next year. Improbable but IMO more realistic then us moving up in the first, staying pat at all our picks or grabbing a guy like Ingram at 17( are you people out of your mind? Ingram at 17? lol)  My mock addresses our major needs, DE/OLB/OLine/RB/ big WR. We also add two extra second rounders for next year.
    Posted by GadisRKO

So, we're going to add 10 players this year after adding 12 the previous year, and 13 the year before last?  Have you looked at our roster lately?  We simply do not have the room for that many players.  We cannot go for quantity year after year.  It's time to move up this year with all the extra ammo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I might have to rethink how I was looking at the draft for OTs, I've been fine with passing on Carimi because of my ace up the sleeve IMO is Carpenter.

I've watching and I think you don't loose much from Carimi to Carpenter at RT. Carpenter can pass protect and is even better when run blocking.  I've been mocking late 2nd early 3rd but saw this today (see below)  If Carpenter is taken off the board late 20s I might be a bit upset.  I'm also high on Marcus Gilbert from Florida, he's not Carpenter as a run blocker. 

According to CBS Sports' Rob Rang, Alabama OT James Carpenter has emerged as a candidate to be drafted in the first round.

Carpenter is Mike Lombardi of NFL Network's second rated offensive lineman in the draft, behind only Tyron Smith. We also get the feeling that Carpenter's stock is on the rise, and he could be a sleeper to go 26th to the Ravens or 31st to the Steelers. At a rock solid 6-foot-5 and 313 pounds with 34-inch arms, Carpenter projects as a left or right tackle in the NFL.
    Apr 22, 2:02 PM

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

To get off the field on third down we have to upgrade our nickel defense.  This is the alignment we were in against the first Jet's game last year, a week 2 loss. DL: Mike Wright DL: Vince Wilfork DL: Myron Pryor DL: Tully Banta-Cain LB: Jerod Mayo LB: Gary Guyton CB: Devin McCourty CB: Darius Butler CB: Jonathan Wilhite S: Patrick Chung S: Brandon Meriweather The Guyton/Mayo tandem is one of the fastest in football in these situations.  Butler was certainly a weak link so getting Bodden back will help that.  The Pats employ a number of nickel sets including sometimes, 1 DL, 5 LBs and 5 DB.  Improving speed at LB in those sets and getting another playmaker in the secondary would seem logical to do.  But going back to our base nickel, 4-2-5 set and looking at draft options and returning players we could do this. DL: Mike Wright DL: Ty Warren replaces Vince Wilfork DL: (28) Marvin Austin replaces Myron Pryor DL: (17) Ryan Kerrigan replaces Tully Banta-Cain LB: Jerod Mayo LB: (60) Bruce Carter potentially replaces Gary Guyton CB: Devin McCourty CB: Leigh Bodden replaces Darius Butler CB: Kyle Arrington replaces Jonathan Wilhite S: Patrick Chung S: Brandon Meriweather The addition of Kerrigan and Austin and getting Bodden and Warren back would go a long way to improving the speed and rush of our base nickel.  Bruce Carter is a play maker and although slower than Guyton his instincts are far better.  Carter has been cleared to work out before the draft and Butch Davis said yesterday that no team has ruled him out for scheme reasons. 
    Posted by Faucetman

yes that sounds great. is carter the guy who will be out for a year?
    and this is assuming bb wont take a speed end which i really want as much as olb and the g/t's ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I'm still catching up but stopped on this post.  Lifer, did you see the Butch Davis interview yesterday on PttD?  He had nothing but praise for Marvin Austin.  In fact he described a 30 min press conference he gave at UNC's Pro Day in front of all 32 teams where he talked about what good kids Austin, Quinn and Little were.  He said they each made a mistake which cost them the season but they weren't involved in criminal activities, it was a NCAA rules violation and that each made a dumb choice and have accepted responsibility for their mistakes.  Each player has been working hard to stay in shape and prepare themselves for their pro career and that he gives all three his strong recommendation. That said, I am not sold that the Pats feel DL is a top need like many on here.  I agree with the arguments, I just don't think BB does.  But if we consider which positions/players we could draft that can step in and start or contribute day ONE I think outside of Watt/Jordan there isn't a DL type there when operating in a base 34.  If we are looking for a nickel 43 DT for passing situations, I think a slipping Fairley, a Liuget or Austin could come in day 1 and give us some interior speed and pressure up the middle.  I would like Fairley at 17 or either Austin or Liuget in that 28 - 33 range.  We have problems getting off the field on 3rd down and adding an interior DT type that is explosive would seem valuable in addressing that. Austin would have been a top 15 pick if not for the incident with the agent. He was the most dominant player in his all star game.  He's been doing everything right this post season.  He has something to prove and I believe who ever gets him will get a player possessed who will be extremely disruptive.  If BB becomes comfortable with the kid, look at Austin's measurables compared to the other top 43 DT talent? Dareus 6-3, 319, 4.93, 24 reps Fairley 6-4, 291, 4.84 , N/A reps Liuget 6-2, 298, 4.97 31 reps Wilkerson 6-4, 315, 4.96, 27 reps Paea 6-1, 303, 4.98, 49 reps Austin 6-2, 309, 4.84, 38 reps Austin's 4.84 ties Fairley as the best in this group and he's 18 lbs heavier!!  His 38 reps were easily the best except for super human Paea who has some injury concerns.  I'll make this prediction, if Austin keeps his head on straight he could end up being the best pro in this group. 
    Posted by Faucetman

Thanks Faucet. No, I didn't catch the BDavis interview. I don't doubt Austin's talent. IN fact, I think he is one of the best 4-3 DT's coming out this year and would love to have him. As you say, instantly upgrades our front 4 when we are in it. I might even try his hand at 3-4 DE given his speed and strength. if he was 2 inches taller, amazing. Personally, I'll take his strength and speed and give up the 2 inches. He's not like Jordan, a good 15lbs shy of 300. What are your thoughts on playing him at 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE?

I really like the thought of drafting Kerrigan and Austin. I think that woudl be a significant upgrade for the D, and I don't think it would require us taking 2 1st rounders to do it. Where Austin goes is anyone's guess. Most recently, I've seen him mocked top of round 2, somewhere between 34-42. I think there are a ton of teams atop round 2 that could use him, including Denver and Cleveland. If we are sold on him, we might have to burn pick 33 to take him, and trade 28 out as  most are now suggesting. I'm good with that actually, espeically if we can get Kerrigan at 15 or 17, trade 28 out, and pick Austin at 33.

I guess the question is are we in a 4 man line enough to warrant a pick that high on Austin? 33 or slightly lower may be the last chance to pick up one of the top 5-6 OT's this year...not including Pats7393's man Carpenter.

If we can do the above, and grab a CB in round 2, I think we can turn our attention to offense and fixing the line. I like Carpenter as well. I can't imagine him moving way up into the 1st unless there is a serious run on tackles. I don't think he will last til the 3rd either. He will command a low 2nd...

What about this haul.

17 /> Kerrigan
    28 /> traded (2011 2nd, 2012 2nd), or the San Diego idea is great as well if they bit. For this mock, I'm going to assume the Redskins trade us 41 for 28 plus their 2nd next year. Is that enough?
    33 /> Austin
    41 /> RCobb
    60 /> Wisneski
    74 /> Carpenter
    92 /> JPatrick

Thoughts?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Marvin Austin
    Guy is as talented as they come but he's not close to what I hope the Pats draft.  Not often do you see around draft time team mates and coaches talk negatively about a player like some have about Austin.  He's considered by a lot of people as a very selfish me first type guy.  Wonder if the Pats make the Super Bowl how he would feel not hearing his name called and been presented as a team?

North Carolina DT Marvin Austin Interviewed very poorly at the Combine, very selfishly throwing his college under the bus and refusing to take responsibility for any of the wrongdoings that led to his dismissal from the team. Has earned a reputation in the NFL scouting community as a "finger-pointing, excuse-making con artist" who does not know what it means to lead.Set a poor example and coasted way too much on his natural talent throughout college. Set back the UNC program by accepting improper gifts and was called "the ringleader" that led to investigations affecting the eligibility of 13 players. Has clear first-round talent as one-gap penetrator in a 4-3 defense after showing well at the East-West Shrine game and at the Combine, and could fit into the back of the first round, but a number of teams have said they would not consider him until the third round, or would not want him at any price because of the way he will affect a locker room.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/11/character-assessments-shape-nfl-success

Compared to Kerrigan and Watt:

Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan — A relentless edge rusher, tempo-setter and elected team captain. Works very hard on the field, in the weight room and watching film. Does not grade out as a first-round talent or possess any elite traits, but he stands to be drafted in the top 20, more highly than he grades on tape, because teams feel comfortable knowing exactly what they are getting, and he is always working to improve.

Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt — Described as having the cleanest character of any player in this year's draft. Is extremely focused, determined and dedicated to the game, to what one GM called an "almost unhealthy, obsessive" way, not that he was complaining at all. Is very smart, articulate and well-spoken and commands respect from teammates. He was so intensely driven at Wisconsin that players tended to gravitate towards him. He'll make a strong impact in the locker room, setting a positive example and holding players accountable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BamaPat. Show BamaPat's posts

We'll pick once, around 30 or so, and then twice in the mid- to late- 3rd round. With few 2012 picks, trader Bill will move down to Rounds 4-7 and to next year more than he ever has in the past. 

No use in doing mock picks for our top three and 2nd round picks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

We'll pick once, around 30 or so, and then twice in the mid- to late- 3rd round. With few 2012 picks, trader Bill will move down to Rounds 4-7 and to next year more than he ever has in the past.      No use in doing mock picks for our top three and 2nd round picks.
    Posted by BamaPat

Let's Party Like It's 2012, BamaPat????

You may be right - BB just is addicted to the futures and is cold to the present!!
    Time for him to remember famous Redskins Coach George Allen quote "the future is NOW".

With TB at 34 years and his injuries mounting, an old and uncertain OLine, and needs at OLB and DE which are becoming chronic, we need to use the ammo and take our best shots now.

I hope you are wrong, Bama!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

put up new video Under-Armor Under-Wear Wars Cameron Jordan vs JJ Watt http://www.youtube.com/user/patriotsfootballplc
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Yo Low-FB-IQ ...

OUTSTANDING JOB WITH ALL THE VIDS

Thank you for your efforts .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Pats7393,

Very well thought out mock with the trades.  You're killing me with that Wilkerson pick though. One comment, PHI almost never trades up.  They are like us, always trading down and getting multiple picks.  PHI has had just 3 picks in the first the past 5 years.  I know they traded up last year but that was rare.

I would be very upset if BB allows SD to leap frog us for Watt.

Sections
Shortcuts