2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

Yes, I too want to thank all the posters here for all the enjoyment here every night since Feb. or March.  For three years I've come here and read every night before the draft.  On draft day I watch with so much more enjoyment thinking I KNOW THESE PLAYERS AND I KNOW WHO'S GETTING THE BEST PLAYERS.  I don't comment much here, but I would like to say I fall with those who either want to draft up for better players AND trade some into next year for first or second rounders.  I not really for getting a lot of late round picks who won't improve on what we've got. I would be happy with Watt or Kerrigan, Carimi, Moffitt, late round DE or LB depending on Watt or Kerrigan, RB...Thanks so much again...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Sportsman. Show 4Sportsman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : 4S, Welcome to the thread, glad to help, agree, there are a lot of smart posters on here with some excellent football knowledge and ideas. I agree that OL could be an area of concern (due to the uncertainty of free agency and/or Mankins/Light), and will likely be targeted at some point in the draft, potentially Rd 1 with Carimi or Castonzo or Pouncey or Watkins etc.  However, it's not the biggest area of need IMO, as that remains OLB where they really lack much starting caliber talent at the position.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    mb,
    thanks for the welcome. I do agree that OLB is a need as well. I guess my point is that BB usually goes for sure things in the 1st round knowing that you can't miss with your 1st rd. picks. In my opinion the only OLB conversion types BB would draft would be Quinn or Kerrigan, but I think he would have to trade up to get either one (Quinn @10 and Kerrigan @ 14). I would love to get me some Quinn, who looks like a beast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : teegee and army2lt: from mb, "And a 99.99% non-DB thread at that, which is more than I can say for a majority of the threads out there that resort to ad hominem attacks in lieu of actual football talk. " teegee in your last post on 4/20, i was glad that after a lapse on 4/19 posts, you re-joined the values and atmosphere created here in this community on this thread, the long held and adhered to culture of respecting one another, even when we differ. even when provoked recently you held back and stayed in the culture we work to maintain. for that i respect you. army2lt, the statements, "have you been living under a rock D---bag" and "you dont't know how dumb you really are do you", are not consistent with the unspoken agreements (sometimes spoken) and sentiments of the posters here on this thread. It isn't like the other threads on boston.com. there is a different behavior expected out of each one of us: respect yourself and respect others. refrain from derision, one- upping, and demonization, etc  (there are healthier ways and more appropriate places for us to address feelings of insecurity).    i am glad you later returned to say, "let's talk football" thanks everyone for making this a place we can talk about patriots football and THAT can be the focus. we all have different opinions, and as a result we grow. we are different people, not the same; therefore we can expect to be of different minds much of the time. diversity is a wealth and results in us being better for it. even if someone errs or you feel attacked, dont take the bait. stay with our shared passion about football. realize we are all here on this thread for that reason. ...and the world does not need more violence and enmity.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

My apologies for what I wrote and to anyone who read it.  I deleted the negative statements about teegee and will refrain from that behavior in the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Oops, looks like I hit a nerve. And I'm reminded of the line from Shakespeare: "Me thinks he doth protest too much". By the way, thanks for using the same line I laid on you in another previous thread. At least I gave McEnroe the credit. Nevertheless, I was wrong to attack the messenger along with the message. That being said, I just didn't get the feeling that you had read any of this thread. If Ingram is picked by the Pats in the first round I'll donate $50 to your favorite charity. And, oh, by the way, at least I didn't call you any names, so thanks for the escalation.
    Posted by teegeeman[/QUOTE]

I'll take you up on that offer.  I'll donate $50 to your favorite charity as well if you can guess the player the Pats pick in the 1st Round.  My guy is Ingram, who is yours?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : My apologies for what I wrote and to anyone who read it.  I deleted the negative statements about teegee and will refrain from that behavior in the future.
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]

thanks for the guts and bravery of this post.
    that i can really respect!

lets talk who are everyones favorite players theyd love to see the patriots take next week?

incidently, i love florios recent mock (hes doing 4 picks a day) now at 12. very reasonable and 3 qb's in top 12, bowers, amukamara all in top 12, bu ti love it for who it leaves:

watt, jordan, smith, and kerrigan so far.

my top player we're not gonna get dareus (#2 probabaly)
    2nd best player i'd like quinn (again probably no, top 10, maybe top 5)
    then in no order watt, jordan, heyward, kerrigan, tyron, carimi, watkins, moffit.

i would like an efffective pass rush from a drafted olb and de,
    and future stud tackle and guard.

after that, luxuries
    rb, safety, cb, wr (any # of characters)
    free agency wr, rb

(silva today has 17 kerrigan, 28 jordan. round 1 only. not bad it appears to me!)

looks like no camps this year, rookie impact diminished a bit.
    but by end of season, some will get to show some of what they have.
    when we really need difference-makers to show up is in the playoffs.

i see a clear choice: large # of picks this and next year vs changemakers and players that will likely make the roster. give us a chance against the better teams (while we have brady-dont waste any more of his years) and combine the picks.
    out.

thanks y'all for improving the quality of my life a bit with this thread.

peace

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]   With this being my first post, I would like to thank all the regular posters for the enjoyment you've brought reading this thread since September. Great job by Mb,Faucetman, etc. my hat is off to all of you. Now on to the draft, the one needy position in my opinion is OL. At pick #17 BB will select Carimi, then with picks #28 and 33 the wheeling and dealing begins!! The Pats will come away with 4 2nd this year as well as 2012 extra picks. My name is Mike, and I'm a draftnik!
    Posted by 4Sportsman[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you joined us. It's also fun to have another voice to discuss with.

With Carimi, I do like him but not at #17. If you put him in most drafts he'd be a early-mid 2nd round prospect. Take last year for example would you put him above Trent Williams, Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga, or Rodger Saffold? However, if they trade back into the mid 20's or at 28 if no pass rushers are available I would take Carimi and not feel bad that we took him to early. I actually am on board with trading a pick into next years 1st and going after one of the better T's in next year draft. Just looking at the top 5 I would say if they came out this year that only Smith would be ranked among them.

Though I agree with MB that OLB is an area that needs to be addressed I'm of the ilk that pass rush starts in the trenches and ripples out. Given the elite DL that can be found in the early picks I would get a Seymourish DE first then try for that OLB prospect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Welcome to the board. I'm glad you joined us. It's also fun to have another voice to discuss with. With Carimi, I do like him but not at #17. If you put him in most drafts he'd be a early-mid 2nd round prospect. Take last year for example would you put him above Trent Williams, Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga, or Rodger Saffold? However, if they trade back into the mid 20's or at 28 if no pass rushers are available I would take Carimi and not feel bad that we took him to early. I actually am on board with trading a pick into next years 1st and going after one of the better T's in next year draft. Just looking at the top 5 I would say if they came out this year that only Smith would be ranked among them. Though I agree with MB that OLB is an area that needs to be addressed I'm of the ilk that pass rush starts in the trenches and ripples out. Given the elite DL that can be found in the early picks I would get a Seymourish DE first then try for that OLB prospect.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

hey eng!
    you up already, i'm about to go to bed!

re: " Given the elite DL that can be found in the early picks I would get a Seymourish DE first then try for that OLB prospect."

as long as we get both, the order doesnt matter to me.

and yeah i agree with you in general,
    "pass rush starts in the trenches and ripples out. "
    but it's all a board in motion; so not exactly completely distinct.

good day!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

from another thread i would love to have seen posted here (along with some great comments, especially from laz):

New England Patriots

Immediate need: an elite pass rusher

It was easy for Bill Belichick to look like a genius during his defensive coordinator days with the Giants. Back then he had Lawrence Taylor, perhaps the most feared pass rusher of the past 40 years, making life hell on opposing passers.

Here during his New England days, he's duct-taped together defenses with the likes of Mike Vrabel and Willie McGinest as his top pass rushers. Nice players, sure. But not the leg-snapping threat of an LT. Efforts to find their replacements in free agency have largely failed (Roosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas) and efforts to pick up an elite pass rusher in the draft have been non-existent.

It's time to change that philosophy.

After all, Belichick maintains his reputation as a genius coach. But the onfield product does not live up to the coach's billing. The last truly great pass defense Belichick produced was in 2003, when the Patriots led the NFL in scoring D (the only time under Belichick) and posted a 58.6 Defensive Passer Rating, one of the toughest pass-defense units of the past decade.

Since then, the pass defense has consistently failed New England in key situations, from Eli Manning's final drive of Super Bowl XLI to Mark Sanchez's 127.3 rating effort against the Patriots in the divisional playoffs back in January.

The lack of a pass rush is a huge problem. The Patriots appeared to find a shutdown corner last year in Devin McCourty. But even the best CBs can cover only so long if a quarterback has all day to pass. And in recent years, opposing quarterbacks have sat patiently in the pocket picking apart New England's defenses.

The team has danced here in the lead-up to the draft with the likes of former Heisman Trophy-winning running back Mark Ingram. But drafting him would be a huge mistake. After all, the team ran the ball incredibly well in 2011 and productive running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, as New England history proves.

An elite pass rusher will have a much bigger impact, especially for a team that already boasts an elite offense and has proven desperate for big play makers on defense in the postseason.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/04/20/nfl-draft-needs/index.html#ixzz1K5VkAtTq

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Thanks for posting above brdbeu

My prediction for Pats first 4 draft picks (after many trades up and down);

Patrick Peterson
    Cam Heyward
    Jabaal Sheard
    Ben Ijalana

thoughts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Listened to coach Saban last night and agree that we dont really know much but it sure can be fun to evaluate and make a wish list..

1-17) JJ Watt or Ryan Kerrigan
    1-28  Trade down  get 2 this year and 2 next year
    2-33  trade down...get 1 next year and 3 or 4 this year
    2-?    Rodney Houston
    2-?    James Carpenter
    2-60   D Moch
    3-74  Kendal Hunter
    3-?    B Burton
    3-92  E Gates
    4...    J Moffitt
    5...    T Sash
    6...    Courtney Smith

UFA  Richard Sherman ( stanford)
           Z taylor...(Utah)

Going to be a fun weekend......HAGD

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In regards to the OLB discussion, particularly potential options at 17, I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.  The consensus out there is that Aldon Smith is this ultra-athletic kid with huge upside while Kerrigan is an average to OK athlete that may have reached his potential.  If athleticism is the discussion and we're basing things an pure speed, quicks and athletic ability the consensus would be incorrect in their assumption based on what we saw at the combine, results below: Player 40 10 yd 3 Cone SS Vert Bench Broad Jump Smith 4.74 1.66 7.19 4.5 20 34 9.1 Kerrigan 4.67 1.61 7.18 4.39 31 33.5 10.02                             What we see, and this is based purely on times, is that Kerrigan is faster overall (40), quicker off the snap (10 yd), quicker laterally (SS), has quicker COD (3C), is stronger (bench), has more lower body explosion (broad jump), though Smith can jump a little higher (vert). Again, what can we glean from this?  IMO, Kerrigan is either a better athlete than given credit for, has put in the time to ensure that he tested well, which again speaks to his preparation or finally, is Smith a bit overrated as an athlete?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Ha!. You are right on the money. I think too many people think Aldon Smith is some athletic freak. He's not. Not when you compare and contrast him against others coming out this year. Don't get me wrong, he's a good athlete, but not elite.
    Not only does Kerrigan best him in every combine number, he also bests him in pure production. If you look at Smith and Kerrigan's stats just from 2009 and 2010, you see Kerrigan besting him in tackles, TFL's, sacks, and FF's. I only used 2 years as a comparison because Smith really only played 2 years to Kerrigan's 4.

I think Kerrigan is a superior player. The stats and production indicate it. Will it be that way in 2-3 years? anyone's guess, but if we are using past production, stats as a measuring stick, Kerrigan should be the choice if faced with that decision at 17.

I, like just about everyone else here have been flip flopping like John Kerry over the past few months...from JJ Watt at DE, Carimi for OT, Kerrigan to play OLB or moving up for Miller, Prince or Quinn.

I raise a question I probably asked 2-3 times already. But I think it begs consideration....assuming we stand with our picks or slight trade ups/trade downs, what grouping would you rather have....

1. Watt/Houston or Reed or Sheard
    2. Kerrigan/Heyward or Wilkerson

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

To continue my tought of BB moving back from 17, what players would project as day one starters and be available in mid 20's.  Here's my list of those players, both for mid round and at 28:
    * potential 2011 starter
    ^ part of rotation/2011 depth future starter
    ST(special teams)

OL
    Mike Pouncey (maybe not there) *LG/RG ^C
    Nate Solder *RT ^LT
    Derek Sherrod *RT/RG
    Danny Watkins *RT/LG/RG

DL
    Cameron Heyward *DE
    Phil Taylor (if he gets by KC) *DE ^NT
    Muhammad Wilkerson *?DE
    Corey Liuget *DE (strong and quick, although not the 6'4+ he has the motor to take on double teams and play in the back field. has played DT, DE NT in college)

LB
    Justin Houston ^OLB *ST
    Akeem Ayers ^OLB *ST
    Jabaal Sheard ^OLB *sub DE *ST
    Brooks Reed ^OLB *sub DE *ST
    Martez Wilson ^OLB ^ILB *ST

DB
    Jimmy Smith ^CB *ST 
    I don't know if he's even listed in the Pats draft board, would think so based on they drafted Merri.  If he is some think he's the best cover CB in the draft including better than Peterson.  If BB has talked to him and he made a case for changing what he was and getting a fresh start Smith's talent at this point of the draft is excellent value.  Bodden is turning 30, Smith can play the slot and eventually take over for Bodden.
    Aaron Williams ^FS *ST
    I like Williams as much do at safety, I don't think he will be taken but value based he could add depth to the secondary.  He can cover outside, moving DM inside in certain situations keeping Chung back.  he can also rush the QB, good in run support.
    Brandon Harris ^CB *ST
    Harris to me has nickel written all over him but his speed is questionable, I wouldn't bet against him.  He would make it an interesting camp for the #3 CB spot.

RB
    I'll go on record saying I don't think a RB is needed in the 1st or 2nd round.  They can wait to the 3rd and get a good rotation RB.  I really like what they have already.  They don't need a 3 down guy.

Mark Ingram ^RB
    Mikel LeShoure ^RB
    Ryan Williams ^RB

WR
    Torrey Smith ^WR good size and top end speed, could be a deep threat but WR is not that high on the my list, not with Edmond Gates available at #60 or early 3rd rnd

At 17 who would be available best case scenario:
    Watt *DE *sub DT/DE
    Jordan *DE *sub *DT/DE
    Kerrigan ^OLB *sub DE
    A. Smith ^OLB *sub DE
    Carimi *RT/RG/LG ^LT
    Castonzo *RT/RG/LG ^LT

IMO although Watt might turn out to be a super stud there's depth at the position with Heyward, Wilkerson and Taylor same goes with Kerrigan and Smith both I think would not start at OLB same with guys available late 1st early 2nd.

OL with Solder, Watkins, Sherrod maybe Pouncey throw in Ijalana late although I know some don't think he's worth a 1st.  But anyways Watkins I think has so much value mid to late 20s that they can by pass OT at 17 and get Watkins who can play RT/OG maybe even be a serviceable LT in a pinch.

So at 17 I don't think there's anyone that's so far except for Watt but I'm convinced he's gone by 17 that will make BB pull the trigger to select that player.  I know there are some reservations with Houston but has same combine numbers as Kerrigan, has 34 OLB tape (good and bad) and showed production in a D that was not that good at Georgia.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Ha!. You are right on the money. I think too many people think Aldon Smith is some athletic freak. He's not. Not when you compare and contrast him against others coming out this year. Don't get me wrong, he's a good athlete, but not elite. Not only does Kerrigan best him in every combine number, he also bests him in pure production. If you look at Smith and Kerrigan's stats just from 2009 and 2010, you see Kerrigan besting him in tackles, TFL's, sacks, and FF's. I only used 2 years as a comparison because Smith really only played 2 years to Kerrigan's 4. I think Kerrigan is a superior player. The stats and production indicate it. Will it be that way in 2-3 years? anyone's guess, but if we are using past production, stats as a measuring stick, Kerrigan should be the choice if faced with that decision at 17. I, like just about everyone else here have been flip flopping like John Kerry over the past few months...from JJ Watt at DE, Carimi for OT, Kerrigan to play OLB or moving up for Miller, Prince or Quinn. I raise a question I probably asked 2-3 times already. But I think it begs consideration....assuming we stand with our picks or slight trade ups/trade downs, what grouping would you rather have.... 1. Watt/Houston or Reed or Sheard 2. Kerrigan/Heyward or Wilkerson
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Interesting question PL, I'll start with a copout if I could.  I don't think either Kerrigan (Min, StL, Jax) or Watt (He could go to any of these teams Ten, Dal, Hou, Min, Det, StL, Jax). 
    Watt is probably aside Darius the safest DE/DT pick while questions on Kerrigan are all about can he transition to OLB as a pure 43 DE he IMO is close to Quinn except he doesn't have off field issues.  I know Jax will love to get him and could move up to make sure they do.  Aaron Kanpman (Jax DE) has had 2 ACL surgeries in two years, DE is a high need for them.

So with that said, I don't think if they don't go OL or wish to go OL (I think they wait) they will trade down.

I think it will be Heyward/Sheard  Houston/Wilkerson

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Sportsman. Show 4Sportsman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Welcome to the board. I'm glad you joined us. It's also fun to have another voice to discuss with. With Carimi, I do like him but not at #17. If you put him in most drafts he'd be a early-mid 2nd round prospect. Take last year for example would you put him above Trent Williams, Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga, or Rodger Saffold? However, if they trade back into the mid 20's or at 28 if no pass rushers are available I would take Carimi and not feel bad that we took him to early. I actually am on board with trading a pick into next years 1st and going after one of the better T's in next year draft. Just looking at the top 5 I would say if they came out this year that only Smith would be ranked among them. Though I agree with MB that OLB is an area that needs to be addressed I'm of the ilk that pass rush starts in the trenches and ripples out. Given the elite DL that can be found in the early picks I would get a Seymourish DE first then try for that OLB prospect.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PatsEng,
    Thanks for the welcome. I hope BB reaches for Carimi just like he reached for Mankins @32. Stick him at RT, move Vollmer to LT where I think he actually played better 2 yrs ago when Light was hurt. I thought he regressed at RT last year. Carimi is a mauler and I'd love to see him bookend with Vollmer. People always think that BB "reaches" for players, but he doesn't care, if he trusts the player he's going to pick him even if people think it's too early.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : PatsEng, Thanks for the welcome. I hope BB reaches for Carimi just like he reached for Mankins @32. Stick him at RT, move Vollmer to LT where I think he actually played better 2 yrs ago when Light was hurt. I thought he regressed at RT last year. Carimi is a mauler and I'd love to see him bookend with Vollmer. People always think that BB "reaches" for players, but he doesn't care, if he trusts the player he's going to pick him even if people think it's too early.
    Posted by 4Sportsman[/QUOTE]

I really like Carimi too but don't think he's worth the 17th and mainly because in the 2nd and 3rd you can pickup a couple of guys who can start day 1 at RT.  Even waiting to end of first and pickup Watkins.

James Carpenter 2nd rnd
    Orlando Franklin 2nd rnd
    Marcus Cannon 2nd rnd
    Marcus Gilbert 3rd rnd

I think for what Carimi is projected the value at RT is deep into the 4th round. 

I'm convinced there's no pick at 17 and they will trade down, at OLB I don't think BB will start anyone as a rookie, DE Watt probably gone so Heyward/Wilkerson/Taylor late 1st, OL Solder/Watkins/Carpenter/Ijalana all also projected as RT/OG.  Watkins and Carpenter and excellent run blockers as well, I just don't think top 20 talent has done enough to say they are so far away from the pack that BB this year changes his draft strategy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Sportsman. Show 4Sportsman's posts

Does anybody think that CB Jimmy Smith is on the Pats draft board? Would be good value in the early 2nd, but I don't think he gets by the Jets @30 (he seems like a RR type of player). For some reason I think BB is going to pick CB/FS Aaron Williams in early 2nd. I actually wouldn't mind that pick as long as we have 3+ 2nd rd. picks. Since Bodden and McCourty play outside, I think Williams would excel in the slot. He seems to project as a FS and can be Merriweather's replacement going forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This is not good for the Patriots, why this idiot probably cost himself a late 1st or 2nd round selection.  How stupid do you really have to be?

If the report is true Mallett just cost himself big, even been drafted at all.  Russell is fresh on everyone's mind, same with Young.  this is one less QB for teams to trade for on the other hand one less QB a bigger frenzy over who's available.  Kaepernick might be the biggest benefactor from all this.

Citing multiple sources, the National Football Post reports that Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett skipped his team visit with the Panthers earlier this month after "a late night on the town."

Mallett met Panthers officials on the evening of April 8, but reportedly canceled for April 9, when the bulk of his visit was supposed to occur. Mallett reportedly "called and said he was sick," after being spotted out late following dinner. The reporter here -- Brad Biggs, also of the Chicago Tribune -- is one of the best in the business, so we have a hard time believing it's "pre-draft misinformation." In fact, the Charlotte Observer's Joseph Person confirms the report. It will do nothing to dispel the notion that Mallett is a massive off-field character risk, possibly with consumption and addiction issues.
    Apr 20, 12:29 PM

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]This is not good for the Patriots, why this idiot probably cost himself a late 1st or 2nd round selection.  How stupid do you really have to be? If the report is true Mallett just cost himself big, even been drafted at all.  Russell is fresh on everyone's mind, same with Young.  this is one less QB for teams to trade for on the other hand one less QB a bigger frenzy over who's available.  Kaepernick might be the biggest benefactor from all this. Citing multiple sources, the National Football Post reports that Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett skipped his team visit with the Panthers earlier this month after "a late night on the town." Mallett met Panthers officials on the evening of April 8, but reportedly canceled for April 9, when the bulk of his visit was supposed to occur. Mallett reportedly "called and said he was sick," after being spotted out late following dinner. The reporter here -- Brad Biggs, also of the Chicago Tribune -- is one of the best in the business, so we have a hard time believing it's "pre-draft misinformation." In fact, the Charlotte Observer's Joseph Person confirms the report. It will do nothing to dispel the notion that Mallett is a massive off-field character risk, possibly with consumption and addiction issues. Source: National Football Post Apr 20, 12:29 PM
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

i think this could be good news for us pats fans being that now he could slip into the 2nd round and some team will want to trade for him to get him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I for one am not surprised by this report on Mallett.  Not trying to "pile on" here but as a teacher with long experience at reading whether kids are telling the truth or not, I did not believe some of his answers to Gruden the other night, especially about keeping out of trouble.  The brief pause, the look away first...I also didn't like the way he handled news conferences where he was asked about past troubles and he said, "I'm not going to talk about that."  I think a lot better response is "I've made some mistakes and fortunately I've learned from them and my goal now is to move forward and be the best player I can be."  Finally, I was completely shocked at how much puffing and panting he did during his workout with Gruden.  I didn't think a top class athlete would be puffing like that, but I hadn't heard about any "consumption" issues?  Bottom line, I'm an English teacher, not a head football coach, but I wouldn't want this guy heading my franchise.  Just remembered something else: when Gruden asked him about being the face of a franchise, he gave a sort of parrotted response that didn't really say anything.  I didn't think he came across as being very smart or very sincere.  I'm sounding pretty negative here, so I'll end by saying I liked his long throws and the way he said "Yes sir!" all the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for posting above brdbeu My prediction for Pats first 4 draft picks (after many trades up and down); Patrick Peterson Cam Heyward Jabaal Sheard Ben Ijalana thoughts?
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

one comment i have is we'd have to steal peterson from a lot of teams.
    and is sheard gonna reliably pressure the quarterback?

re the cut and paste, thanks for posting it initially

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Listened to coach Saban last night and agree that we dont really know much but it sure can be fun to evaluate and make a wish list.. 1-17) JJ Watt or Ryan Kerrigan 1-28  Trade down  get 2 this year and 2 next year 2-33  trade down...get 1 next year and 3 or 4 this year 2-?    Rodney Houston 2-?    James Carpenter 2-60   D Moch 3-74  Kendal Hunter 3-?    B Burton 3-92  E Gates 4...    J Moffitt 5...    T Sash 6...    Courtney Smith UFA  Richard Sherman ( stanford)        Z taylor...(Utah) Going to be a fun weekend......HAGD
    Posted by fishers5[/QUOTE]

fisher where did you hear saban?
    we need a watt and a kerrigan though...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Army2Lt,   Great idea! I did same, thanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Army2Lt,   East Coast Sports Draft has the Pats trading 17 and 60 for Washington's 10 and selecting Robert Quinn. Several years ago there was a need at inside lb, the Pats took Mayo at 10. How'd that worked out? Now there's a need at olb and I see a similar theme with a potential impact player, so I agree with Al Fronzak. My pick is Quinn at 10. By the way, Mike Reiss from Espn recently wrote that Mike Lombardi sees the Pats trading down with 28 and 33, (you know BB loves the upper 2nd round), partially to recoup 60.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Ha!. You are right on the money. I think too many people think Aldon Smith is some athletic freak. He's not. Not when you compare and contrast him against others coming out this year. Don't get me wrong, he's a good athlete, but not elite. Not only does Kerrigan best him in every combine number, he also bests him in pure production. If you look at Smith and Kerrigan's stats just from 2009 and 2010, you see Kerrigan besting him in tackles, TFL's, sacks, and FF's. I only used 2 years as a comparison because Smith really only played 2 years to Kerrigan's 4. I think Kerrigan is a superior player. The stats and production indicate it. Will it be that way in 2-3 years? anyone's guess, but if we are using past production, stats as a measuring stick, Kerrigan should be the choice if faced with that decision at 17. I, like just about everyone else here have been flip flopping like John Kerry over the past few months...from JJ Watt at DE, Carimi for OT, Kerrigan to play OLB or moving up for Miller, Prince or Quinn. I raise a question I probably asked 2-3 times already. But I think it begs consideration....assuming we stand with our picks or slight trade ups/trade downs, what grouping would you rather have.... 1. Watt/Houston or Reed or Sheard 2. Kerrigan/Heyward or Wilkerson
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Ha, additionally for all the talk about Quinn's freakish athleticism, Kerrigan compares favorable to him as well, comparision below.  Again, based purely on times but I think this kid is underrated athletically:

Player40103CSSBenchVertBroad Jump
    Quinn4.621.617.184.422349.08
    Kerrigan4.671.617.134.393133.510.02

As for your question, I'd take some combo of Kerrigan and Heyward or Wilkerson or Taylor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Of the DT's that project as better fits in a 43, which do you think have the best chance of ending up in Foxboro?

By my estimation below are the 4 that come to mind.

Corey Liuget- Illinois (6-2 298)
    Stephen Paea- Oregon State (6-1 303)
    Marvin Austin- UNC (6-2 309)
    Drake Nevis- LSU (6-1 294)

Liuget
    can probably add a few more pounds without issue, and looks like a legit (pun intended) dual purpose threat that could impact vs. the run and pass and has some schematic versatility.  With that being said, he doesn't have ideal length/height (6021 at the combine), he also looks to be one of those late risers that may require a top 15-20 pick to acquire. 

Paeais one of the stronger players in the draft, is stout vs. the run but again is lacking in the height dept (6012 at the combine).

Austinhas probably the best combo of size/speed/quicks/athleticism (6015 at UNC Pro Day), but also comes with the most baggage.  He too has seen a rise to his stock, or atleast that's the mainstream belief so may also require a 1st rounder to acquire.

Nevisis another talented SEC kid, but looks to be purely a 43 DT and was only 6005 at the combine, so he's really not tall/long enough.

Taking all factors into account, I'd lean towards Liuget and Paea with Paea being the most likely to end up in Foxboro due to his assumed draft round as he's projected in Rd 2.  However, quote me now, Liuget could be that "outside the box" player that BB takes that leaves people saying, who?.