2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***

Here is my final mock.

Trades:
    #33 to TEN for 2012 1st and #109

#17 Cameron-Jordan-DE-California
    He has experience in the 3-4, and is an absolute beast.  I think he is the perfect Patriot, and that BB will get him.  The Pats are a patient team, and I think Jordan slips to them.

#28 Mark Ingram-HB-Alabama
    With an abundance of picks, why not take a chance with the best HB in the draft.  BB drafts for value, not need, and Ingram is a potential stud.  Since we have so many picks, we should go for the top talent at HB, which is Ingram. He has the potential to be our #1 back that we've lacked since Corey Dillon.

#60 James Carpenter-OL-Alabama
    BB gets a versatile lineman to fill the OG/OT spot on the line.  Carpenter is a strong prospect, and comes from one of BB's favorite schools.

#74 Joseph Barksdale-OT-LSU
    Many consider him the most technically sound lineman in the draft-Scar would love it.  BB doesn't take OL too early unless it is a pressing need, and I think BB feels Light will re-sign. Barksdale is good value here, and could step in to the RT position (Vollmer at LT) after a year or so.

#92 Dontay Moch-DE/OLB-Nevada
    BB doesn't like taking conversion types early, but Moch is a physical specimen.  This guy is alittle raw, but if BB can coach him up, he has a shot to be a force as a pass rusher.

#109 Buster Skrine-UT Chattenooga
    Another burner.  Skrine has blazing speed, and provides good ST value-a must at this point in the draft.  Skrine should compete with Wilhite to round out our CB crew.

#125 Greg Salas-WR-Hawaii
    The NCAA Division I recieving leader.  He may not be fast, or a deep threat, but he can catch the ball and run routes extremely well.  The Pats are a short pass offense, and this quick WR should fit right in.

#159 Greg McElroy-QB-Alabama
    A smart, accurate, great decsion making Quarterback.  He scored the highest wonderlic at the combine, and is exactly what BB looks for in a QB.  Some say he'll be a great back up. But, this guy is a winner, and I think he'll make a good NFL starter.

#193 Mark Herzlich-ILB-Boston College
    With their last pick, NE takes a chance on a local kid.  Herzlich is a tough, high character player, who used to be a first round prospect.  The Pats take injury risks, and in the 6th, it's well worth the risk on a hometown favorite.  At worst, he provides help on Special Teams, at best, he returns to top form and even provides some pass rush for the Pats.

We also get a 2012 1st rounder, and fill every need.  Please give your feedback.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

smokescreen central the pats are going draft a o-lineman and trade their 28th pick for a first rounder next year( they only have 5 picks in next years draft)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Wow..about equal to Watt? I don't know if that's giving Watt too much credit or Dareus not enough? I personally think Dareus is the best DL coming out this year. Not by a long shot, but better than the rest of the group. Reconsidering, I probably wouldn't trade the farm for Dareus. Now if he was Suh and we had the ammo to do it, yes, I would move up to #6. But he ain't Suh. What concerns me about Dareus is his experience as well. he played in a 3-4, but he doesn't have a ton of starts to his credit. not sure why exactly, but his numbers are not stand out in my mind. sure 3-4 DE has different responsibilities than Watt did at 4-3 DE, but I would have expected a bit more from a top 5 player, and one most consider the best DL in this draft.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I thought you were talking about Jordan. No. Darreus and Fairley are in another bracket for me. 

I wouldn't trade up for them though. No. Not for 17 and 33, which is what it would take.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]smokescreen central the pats are going draft a o-lineman and trade their 28th pick for a first rounder next year( they only have 5 picks in next years draft)
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]

Yeah. i can't get around that either. I almost feel like Costanzo could be their 17. But the talent at OT isn't as good as the talent at DE/OLB imo in this draft. I feel like in a deeper draft some of these OTs are all 1st/2nd swing players.

Whereas in other drafts I think some of these DE/OLB types are going higher because of demand.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jordan to me is that Elephant that BB has been looking for since Willie Mac left. He can be a DE in the 43 sub but also a 34 OLB. Would be interesting and if BB thinks he can be another Willie Mac then he's going to move up to make sure he gets him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Jordan to me is that Elephant that BB has been looking for since Willie Mac left. He can be a DE in the 43 sub but also a 34 OLB. Would be interesting and if BB thinks he can be another Willie Mac then he's going to move up to make sure he gets him
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Yeah. He is big, but has that potential. He moves really athletically for his size. I have him higher than Watt for that reason. When you see him move on the field, even though their numbers are identical, it seems like he is less rigid and plays more like a tweener. Watt looks more like a DE in the 43. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

And the more I think about it I don't think Willie Mac is even the best comparison. I think he is a different kind of tweener. 

He is a 34 end that can stay on the field when they sub into a 43 package. NE has spent so much time in sub packages. He is a little light for full time 34 ... but how often are they even in it? It seems like they spend more time splitting Wright or even Fork out wide to get a decent edge rush. 

I see him more like a chess peice that BB could move around.

I still would hope they come away with Brooks Reed more, but his stock is lower and he could be had later.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

My final mock..assuming NE trades 33 for 38, 69, and 136.

17 Cam Jordan DE
    28 D. Watkins G/T
    38 T. Smith WR
    60 S. Wisniewski G/C
    69 S. Acho OLB
    74 K. Hunter RB
    92 J. Carpenter OT
    125 J. Patrick CB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Why not Jordan and Reed?....seems to me we could use them both, and possibly have them both should we want them. They are not redundant pieces. each have different value.
    That said, this is probably where i differ from you, in that I prefer Sheard to Reed for what they are and where they can be had. A Jordan / Sheard paring would be interesting, but if we are using Jordan in that OLB role plus, than maybe we hold off drafting depth at OLB until later, or not at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I really like Cam jordan but am now CONVINCED that BB wont take him. All the talk / rumors of BB wanting to trade up and get him remind me to much of the smokescreens he threw out about DeWayne Robertson (convincing the Jets to spend alot and move up to get him) and Jonathan Sullivan (who the Saints spendt two 1st rounders to go up and get him). I just think BB mnay have a different target. Only 1 1/2 more hours! Still hoping for Patrick Peterson!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Doing a lot of catch up, ZB, good to see you on the thread my friend! 

I had to lock in Kerrigan, kid hits just about every qualifying characteristic for a NE player, IMO, both on and off the field.  The biggest knock on him seems to be his lack of athleticism and while I don't think he's an elite athlete, I think it's atleast adequate for the position, but has that drive to continually impove.

If they pass on Kerrigan high, I'm still hoping that Reed is the guy somewhere in the top 64, still remember the first time watching him play back in November vs. Stanford and thinking, "wow, this kid is electric off the snap, really brings a lot of energy and tenacity off the edge and it comes on every down".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I really like Cam jordan but am now CONVINCED that BB wont take him. All the talk / rumors of BB wanting to trade up and get him remind me to much of the smokescreens he threw out about DeWayne Robertson (convincing the Jets to spend alot and move up to get him) and Jonathan Sullivan (who the Saints spendt two 1st rounders to go up and get him). I just think BB mnay have a different target. Only 1 1/2 more hours! Still hoping for Patrick Peterson!
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Quag,
    While I think it could be a smoke screen, I think it's different from Robertson in that I think BB believes that Jordan can actually play.  That's not based on fact, just my opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Latest rumor is a trade pretty much done between Atl and Clev for pick #6. Atl is targeting either Peterson or Jones most likely Jones.

Also Gabbert is going to land at either SF or Tenn. If he lands in SF then Tenn is going to look to get back inot the 1st (Pats at #28 with that rumored trade maybe?)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Quag, While I think it could be a smoke screen, I think it's different from Robertson in that I think BB believes that Jordan can actually play.  That's not based on fact, just my opinion.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Maybe he thinks SD wants him and is trying to get a team like the Redskins, 49ers, or Vikings to take him or get SD to pay a bit to move up for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

Hey all. I really enjoyed checking this thread once again this year in the months leading up to the draft. Great insight on which positions you all thought should be priorities on the Pats draft board and which players were falling and rising, best fits for the system, etc. Thanks to all the regulars for being so entertaining and knowledgeable.

I have a question, if anyone could help me out. I remember that when I was watching the draft last year, whichever network I was on had this really annoying habit of having one of their correspondents announce every pick ten seconds before the commish did. It kind of took some of the fun out of the draft. Does anyone know if the NFL network or ESPN does this, or both? I would like to avoid it this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Just got back from Vegas.  What did I miss?  30 mins to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

CAR is going to pass?  Why?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Doing a lot of catch up, ZB, good to see you on the thread my friend!  I had to lock in Kerrigan, kid hits just about every qualifying characteristic for a NE player, IMO, both on and off the field.  The biggest knock on him seems to be his lack of athleticism and while I don't think he's an elite athlete, I think it's atleast adequate for the position, but has that drive to continually impove. If they pass on Kerrigan high, I'm still hoping that Reed is the guy somewhere in the top 64, still remember the first time watching him play back in November vs. Stanford and thinking, "wow, this kid is electric off the snap, really brings a lot of energy and tenacity off the edge and it comes on every down".
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The middle part of these threads always wears down for me. I get kind of bored once I know where everyone stands on the prospects and take some time off to kind of reconsider them myself. Though ... this year my board didn't change even through all the oscillations. I still had Jones as my best WR even while his stock see-sawed.

I'm locked in on Torrey Smith. I think this kid would fit real well with what Ne does, and has potential to be a Desean Jackson type athlete out there. Especially if he is running routes on top of Gronk, Welker, Hern, and Woody. 

I like Kerrigan too. But lately, I've have been really factoring in that first step quickness and raw athletics. Yeah there are WW's out there (Gholston, Aaron Curry) but it always seems the elite OLB prospects go early, and the rest from mid-2nd down are just JAGS. I think Reed is a winner though.

At least that is how it's trending for me. I also think BB has tended toward really high motor kids in these drafts lately. Except for Brace, lol. And I can't think of a kid in this draft with a better motor than Reed. 

Like I said when they grabbed Chung. I will have him at 28 .. but wouldn't be shocked or dismayed if NE just outright snagged him at 17 or on a hop n' skip trade down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]Just got back from Vegas.  What did I miss?  30 mins to go.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

A lot of rumors, mostly untrue. However, the Cleveland/Atlanta trade appears plausible.    Faucetman, I'm sure I speak for many: Welcome back!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

My last best guess at our first pick, assuming we don't trade up.

1)  JJ Watt
    2)  Cam Jordan
    3)  Mike Pouncey
    4)  Nate Solder
    5)  Anthony Castonzo
    6)  Gabe Carimi
    7)  Ryan Kerrigan
    8)  Aldon Smith

If it's someone else I will truly be surprised.  My dark horse picks would be, depending how far back we trade:

Mark Ingram
    Cameron Heyward
    Phil Taylor
    Mikel LeShoure
    Danny Watkins
    Martez Wilson
    Derek Sherrod
    Muhammad Wilkerson
    Akeen Ayers

If we don't get one of these guys then we likely traded completely out of the first round and I'll reset after the first round.  Anyone not on this list would be a complete shock to me that I never saw coming.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : A lot of rumors, mostly untrue. However, the Cleveland/Atlanta trade appears plausible.    Faucetman, I'm sure I speak for many: Welcome back!
    Posted by teegee[/QUOTE]

Thanks, glad to be back, in the nick of time.  That would be a HUGE move up for ATL.  Would take a lot to go up that far. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

17- muhammed wilkerson temple
    28-trade to arizona for arizonas 2nd this year and 1st next year
    33-danny watkins-baylor
    38(from arizona) brooks reed-arizona
    60-leonarad hankerson-miami

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]Hey all. I really enjoyed checking this thread once again this year in the months leading up to the draft. Great insight on which positions you all thought should be priorities on the Pats draft board and which players were falling and rising, best fits for the system, etc. Thanks to all the regulars for being so entertaining and knowledgeable. I have a question, if anyone could help me out. I remember that when I was watching the draft last year, whichever network I was on had this really annoying habit of having one of their correspondents announce every pick ten seconds before the commish did. It kind of took some of the fun out of the draft. Does anyone know if the NFL network or ESPN does this, or both? I would like to avoid it this year.
    Posted by PeaceLaur[/QUOTE]

I don't remember. They may have been both doing it. I think it was Kiper. I'm going to watch on NFL network most likely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

Thanks Kyle. I will probably stick with NFL network as well, to listen to Mike Mayock.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Kyle. I will probably stick with NFL network as well, to listen to Mike Mayock.
    Posted by PeaceLaur[/QUOTE]
    If I had to choose one analyst to listen to, it would be Mike Mayock.  I like him way better than that idiot Kiper.