2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    One thing I wish I had brought up about Kerrigan, Carimi, and Heyward was that they play in the Big Ten. For some reason, it doesn't seem like the Pats target Big Ten. Maybe it changes during day 3 with players like Moffitt and Wisniewski being potential interior offensive line targets.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Not a lot of Rd 1-2 kids, but they've taken 11 Big Ten players during BB's time in Foxboro, including two staples of the franchise.

Brady
    Light
    Maroney
    Crable
    Wilson
    Mesko
    Ohrnberger
    TJ Turner
    Greg Robinson-Randall
    David Nugent
    Christian Morton

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

and by the way, when Scar gets Solder...the kid's gonna think he's in "Close Encounters"...welcome to the first day of school....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Sportsman. Show 4Sportsman's posts

I wish everybody would just calm down. How can people not see OL as a glaring need? I actually thought they would draft Carimi @17 and play let's make a deal with 28 & 33. No doubt Solder needs to be coached up, but this guy is a former TE who fits the offensive scheme. BB loves agile OT because of all the slip/bubble screens they run. You have to love the size of those bookend tackles we now have.  Keep the faith!! 5 second day picks, I think BB keeps the 2nd rd. picks and trades #74 for a 2012 2nd, which gives him 2 #1's and 2 #2's for 2012

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think people are very spoiled here with a consistent bevy of picks. People want the best tackle, DE. Or the best DE and OLB. All in one round! When you put things into perspective, this team moves around and accumulates value and still ends up with higher picks than they would have if they stood pat all along. I'm sure many teams would be happy with Solder as their sole pick in round 1. 

Also, people may think I'm crazy but I've always been a huge ninkovich fan. I think the guy can play. Perhaps BB just doesn't value a Kerrigan (who will need development) over a guy BB knows can play in Nin and Cunningham (with TBC and Moore as possible backups). I understand people wanted LT #2 tonight, but perhaps BB judged that guy just wasn't out there and is happier with his roster than we all believe?

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I dont see it as a competition, just a statement of facts.  You implied (and it seemed like I was one of the people referred to) that some of us addressing the "whining" and those name calling were not contributors to this thread, here long, consistant posters etc.  I was countering that.  My issue is with the, "the sky is falling" mentality after just 1 rd.  We may not have beaten the jets last year in the playoffs, but I think we can.  Do I want a pass rusher, absolutely.  Love and hoping for Sheard.  This draft is far from over.  Quality players are still there at all the need positions.  I am guessing and speculating that BB didnt see 3-4 DE a huge need, unlike most of us here, since Warren will be back and we have several young, developing guys already.  I will be unhappy if we dont grab an OLB, but I expect to improve either way. Another thing many here seem to miss.  We all start with 1 pick in each rd.  Even just using the 1 1st rd pick at 17, we picked 11 spots higher than where we should have picked.  That has value, about a 2nd rd pick in value.  Many here seem to miss the little things like that. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Why so serious?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : it does not matter if bb has a 200 iq, people are allowed to disagree and there are people as well with high intelligence, in other football organizations and on this thread. your need to call people stupid, moron, and fairweather fans displays your psyche. no one who feels good about themself or who is ok with themself does that. again differing opinions and the ability to listen to them allows growth and  displays intelligence and wisdom. further, people are not "crapping" on your team, they disagree and speak their disagreement because they care about their team.
    Posted by brdbreu

I think the issue lies in the ignorance with which they post.  They see 1 thing they dont agree with and freak out.  Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions etc.  But when people freak out over 1 little thing, before the big picture is formed, it is just silly and frustrating.  I know few here liked DMC, Vollmer when they were picked.  Now we love them both.  I was not huge on SeaBass when he was drafted, I just didnt know much about him.  Now I love him and got a custom Sea Bass jersey.  I read about him, watched film, read his life story.  With DMC I saw a million posts of why did we draft a special teamer.  People read that he was really good on special teams and couldnt get it, that was one aspect of his game, but he was a complete corner and he proved it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Wondering if BB knows he won't start a hybrid DE, will he decide to wait until the 4th and get one of these guys who can come in and be that situational rusher and develop rather than using a 2nd round on them?

Ugo Chinasa 6'4" 263
    Pierre Allen 6'4" 273
    Greg Romeus 6'5" 264

OLBs
    Mark Herzlich 6'4" 244
    Markell Carter 6'4" 252

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Patriots coach Bill Belichick plans to use No. 17 overall pick Nate Solder at left tackle.

Solder doesn't play with enough power to kick to the strong side, so Sebastian Vollmer will stay there. The Pats may still look to re-sign free agent Matt Light, but the writing on the wall says Solder will likely be a Week 1 starter. New England now has arguably the most athletic offensive tackle duo in football. Vollmer and Solder are both freaks of nature.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

this pick answers some questions....Solder is our new RT...Vollmer is our new LT ...Light is probably gone...Kazcur can't be counted on...this is a big need pick and a good one...trading #28 is ok with an additional second rounder #56 tomorrow....now trade #33 for a 2012 #1 and switch seconds and it's load up time...gotta accept the way BB operates....it'll look good when the smoke clears....
    Posted by mountainmonkey

"..it'll look good when the smoke clears...."

thanks mountain, that's in the back of our head even when we're going what the f....
    i mean we're braced for the trade downs even when we dont like them, but arrrrgh.

would love to have gotten jordan, and great olb, and the o line.  always thought they could go offensive line in the second.

even with o line, they saw something we didnt to draft him over carimi/costanzo.

too wish he found a bottom/top 5 team if we were gonna trade down.

yeah, we know hes got a devious plan. cant wait to see it.

gotta remember we have a lot of misses as well.

groans, grunts and critiques are allowed.

but were hopin' for the best in the end

and hope to see the genius in the moves come playoff time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And what's with your need to play armchair psychologist? Do message boards upset you that much? 

I'm sorry, but after last years draft (when people had the exact same reaction) it's ludicrous to react by jumping off a bridge. Just stupid. The 'special teamer' McCourty made the probowl, and their second round gave them 3 starters last year in Gronk, Cunningham, and Spikes. Why is there pessimism? Because Solder doesn't look good on a few youtube clips? It's just silly.

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : it does not matter if bb has a 200 iq, people are allowed to disagree and there are people as well with high intelligence, in other football organizations and on this thread. your need to call people stupid, moron, and fairweather fans displays your psyche. no one who feels good about themself or who is ok with themself does that. again differing opinions and the ability to listen to them allows growth and  displays intelligence and wisdom. further, people are not "crapping" on your team, they disagree and speak their disagreement because they care about their team.
    Posted by brdbreu

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And you should be confident that these decision will pay off. they have a great track record. Just because we don't know as much about Solder doesn't mean he won't pan out. They still have a great opportunity to pick up special players, and that very well may happen tomorrow. 

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : "..it'll look good when the smoke clears...." thanks mountain, that's in the back of our head even when we're going what the f.... i mean we're braced for the trade downs even when we dont like them, but arrrrgh. would love to have gotten jordan, and great olb, and the o line.  always thought they could go offensive line in the second. even with o line, they saw something we didnt to draft him over carimi/costanzo. too wish he found a bottom/top 5 team if we were gonna trade down. yeah, we know hes got a devious plan. cant wait to see it. gotta remember we have a lot of misses as well. groans, grunts and critiques are allowed. but were hopin' for the best in the end and hope to see the genius in the moves come playoff time.
    Posted by brdbreu

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

If the Pats have OL needs, they are self inflicted needs and could be solved by paying guys who've earned their payday - Mankins.  How do you get better using 1st round draft pick on a rookie OT so an all pro OT can walk?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Rocket, I think part of the issue is with the clip.  Solder had a great statistical career, yet the 1 clip they have, show him stinking.  If u look at the math, that had to be all the bad plays he had. I like the pick. 
    Also, lets see where the extra cash that would go to Light gets spent.  If we get a good FA, that is also part of the equation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Just in case you gloomers haven't seen it...

Patriots coach Bill Belichick plans to use No. 17 overall pick Nate Solder at left tackle.

Solder doesn't play with enough power to kick to the strong side, so Sebastian Vollmer will stay there. The Pats may still look to re-sign free agent Matt Light, but the writing on the wall says Solder will likely be a Week 1 starter. New England now has arguably the most athletic offensive tackle duo in football. Vollmer and Solder are both freaks of nature.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

My trade scenario,

We move #33 and #74 to Redskins and they grab Dalton or Mallet. (33 and 60 would work better on points but i think we can hold them to the lower selection, we may toss in a low pick to seal it)

We get #41 and #49 in return.

Gives us 41, 49, 56, and 60. Four second rounders and we control the middle of the round, we put #92 in play here to move up if needed.

One of our remaining picks will net us a 2012 1st or 2nd.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I think the issue lies in the ignorance with which they post.  They see 1 thing they dont agree with and freak out.  Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions etc.  But when people freak out over 1 little thing, before the big picture is formed, it is just silly and frustrating.  I know few here liked DMC, Vollmer when they were picked.  Now we love them both.  I was not huge on SeaBass when he was drafted, I just didnt know much about him.  Now I love him and got a custom Sea Bass jersey.  I read about him, watched film, read his life story.  With DMC I saw a million posts of why did we draft a special teamer.  People read that he was really good on special teams and couldnt get it, that was one aspect of his game, but he was a complete corner and he proved it. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

yes you are right. we do live and learn. often at the chalkboard of bb.

still, let people vent.  cheering and booing is a lot of what sports is all about.

lets hope we begin to see the pcture of the plan tomorrow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Just in case you gloomers haven't seen it... Patriots coach Bill Belichick plans to use No. 17 overall pick Nate Solder at left tackle. Solder doesn't play with enough power to kick to the strong side, so Sebastian Vollmer will stay there. The Pats may still look to re-sign free agent Matt Light, but the writing on the wall says Solder will likely be a Week 1 starter. New England now has arguably the most athletic offensive tackle duo in football. Vollmer and Solder are both freaks of nature.
    Posted by Getzo

Very true. I did think Solder though looked ok playing with power on the run. I don't have a concern with him starting at right tackle, especially since he will get stronger and Scarnecchia will help him get better. He seems raw, but capable of making contributions right away. I worry about him against speed rushers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

My trade scenario, We move #33 and #74 to Redskins and they grab Dalton or Mallet. (33 and 60 would work better on points but i think we can hold them to the lower selection, we may toss in a low pick to seal it) We get #41 and #49 in return. Gives us 41, 49, 56, and 60. Four second rounders and we control the middle of the round, we put #92 in play here to move up if needed. One of our remaining picks will net us a 2012 1st or 2nd.
    Posted by Asher77

I like. That's the best value I think left in this draft, right in the 40s to the end of the 2nd round.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I've been reading most all of the thoughts and reactions to the Solder pick at 17. None of us that I can recall called Solder, but Faucet was close with an OT. Good on you Faucet! Overall, I think it's a good pick. Safe, not risky, addresses an area of great need. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Sorry but I picked Solder and said he was the best tackle in the draft...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

I wish everybody would just calm down. How can people not see OL as a glaring need? I actually thought they would draft Carimi @17 and play let's make a deal with 28 & 33. No doubt Solder needs to be coached up, but this guy is a former TE who fits the offensive scheme. BB loves agile OT because of all the slip/bubble screens they run. You have to love the size of those bookend tackles we now have.  Keep the faith!! 5 second day picks, I think BB keeps the 2nd rd. picks and trades #74 for a 2012 2nd, which gives him 2 #1's and 2 #2's for 2012
    Posted by 4Sportsman

im sure many of us who voiced criticism today saw the need for o line.
    as i have said, id hoped we could gather it in rd 2. after de and olb.
    hoped wed trade down if at all with the worst teams. thought if we went tier 1 wed got carimi or costanzo, watkins. we all know they picked solder for a reason. hopefully they will be right and we will discover.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Sorry but I picked Solder and said he was the best tackle in the draft...
    Posted by wozzy
    ?

hey wozzy, what did you see in him making him the best?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : ? hey wozzy, what did you see in him making him the best?
    Posted by brdbreu

"Nate Solder - In my eyes the best tackle prospect in the draft, huge at 6'8" 320 pounds with the best vertical and shuttle time at his position, 2nd best 40 time and played against solid competition.  Needs to get a little stronger but a bench press is little indicator of total body strength..."

My pre draft quote from my "Wozzy's draft guide for Pats fans" thread.  I saw excellent mobility first of all and all around athleticism.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : That was last year. Obviously BB sees that OL will be the biggest weakness next year if he does not add an OT. That may mean the relationship with Mankins and Light have really soured. If just one of those two don't come back, the OL will be worse off than the DL.
    Posted by seattlepat70

yes seattle,
    "That may mean the relationship with Mankins and Light have really soured. If just one of those two don't come back, the OL will be worse off than the DL."

i posted as much. imagine others may have too. he knows what the sit isre his line; ie how things are going with light and mankins, however this may also push back a year an opportunity at the superbowl (ie if matt and logan leave, develop new guys on oline, maybe not get the pas rush this year)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : "N ate Solder  - In my eyes the best tackle prospect in the draft, huge at 6'8" 320 pounds with the best vertical and shuttle time at his position, 2nd best 40 time and played against solid competition.  Needs to get a little stronger but a bench press is little indicator of total body strength..." My pre draft quote from my "Wozzy's draft guide for Pats fans" thread.  I saw excellent mobility first of all and all around athleticism.
    Posted by wozzy

thanks wozzy.
    whats this draft guide you speak of?
    link?
    peace

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Since we took Solder ahead of Carimi ect.. it should be because he was better than them. Nobody here is a better talent evaluator of O-line than BB and Dante, so to pine for another OT makes little sense.
    Posted by Asher77

"so to pine for another OT makes little sense."

thats a little harsh. you dont think its ok to say if we went  o line i would have expected someone else?

this is sports. "oohs" and "ahhs", "boos" and "yeahs" IS what is it's all about.

"Since we took Solder ahead of Carimi ect.. it should be because he was better than them."

i would guess the same. still there is nothing wrong with expressing surprise or regret.

peace

Sections
Shortcuts