2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

Asher, nice description of the psychology. I made a point to stay as cool as possible throughout. Passion leads to irrationality which leads to opportunity for the cool\cold. A player comparable to Reed will be there with the saints 2nd rounder, plus a free first next year. Coool call.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

After Kerrigan went off the board, I was disappointed and thought we'd go tackle. I liked Carimi more than Solder but Scarnecchia and BB obviously know a lot more than me. I was then disappointed at 28, not because we didn't take Ingram, but because Heyward was still available and I really wanted him to be a Patriot. The deal with NO is really a great one. We will get a 1st probably around that spot but we also get a late second this year. The late second is probably good value for the next 5-tech and for an offensive guard. Right now, I would like to move back from 33, hopefully picking up a 1st or 2nd for next year and end up in the 40s to target an OLB. I think the 40s will be the next best place in terms of value for the OLB position. I don't see a lot of value right now picking at 33 as opposed to 48.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Yeah, but our pass protection is no where are weak as our pass rush.  Fix what's broken. 
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]

yes and no.  We seem to rank really well on protection every year, then the past few the Ds in the playoffs kill us and TB is running for his life.  PLUS if we dont sign Light, we have that cash for a nice FA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]on the 34 DE side, I wouldn't be too upset if they don't take one early tomorrow.  There are a roster full of them including guys who were on IR last season including Richard and Weston.  What I do want to see if an OLB, Jabaal Sheard if the Pats ignore the positive pot test the Houston possibly could be the closest to an immediate impact guy.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking the same thing. Houston if they use their 33. If not it would be Sheard or Bailey. As it's shaping up, I think the next pick will be one who will play OLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

if you lose Mankins and light the OL will be much weaker than the pass rush. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Yeah, but our pass protection is no where are weak as our pass rush.  Fix what's broken. 
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]Am I wrong to call the whiners stupid? I really don't think so. It's like watching a few youtube videos makes some people experts. it doesn't matter that Scar (a guy BB and everyone else really respects) went down to work out Solder and must've been very impressed. It doesn't matter that the Pats have a STELLAR record of trading back and still getting their guy. It's doesn't matter that they're great at developing O lineman.  In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

I agree with u on that.  I was addressing the other guy.
    The bandwagon guys are coming out of the woodwork, as usual tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

i thought i had seniority. i've been here 6 years. who has been here longer? Maybe TexasPat. :P

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]i thought i had seniority. i've been here 6 years. who has been here longer? Maybe TexasPat. :P
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

I came on in 2004 before they reset all our screen names etc a few years back.  But I didnt post much early on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Another thought on Solder. As solid as Matt Light has been, he has had trouble with speed off the edge and can require TE help to keep his man at bay.  Putting an athletic kid like Solder or Vollmer out there could help minimize the need for TE help on the outside, thus freeing said TE up to become a more integral part of the passing offense (i.e. run patterns and catch passes).  Decreasing the amount of blockers needed increases the amount of options for Brady thus providing more offensive flexibility.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I still have Marcus Gilbert and Clint Boling on my board, and wouldn't mind NE taking TWO OL players in the first two rounds. Either of them improves this team inside. 

I like Reed and Smith anyway ... after Miller and Jones .. who were long gone, they were my two faves for what NE does/needs. So hopefully they can get those guys. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : well as the person using the word whining, I have been more apart of this thread than many and sure more than u have so I think u might want to reread the thread.  The level of pessimism is silly.  This is last year all over again and we got a runner up for the d rookie of the year.  It is probably the same people whining again.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

i've seen some of your posts. you have had some posts ive appreciated.

why you feel you need to compete or to win (i've been on this thread more than you ).  are you really that insecure about yourself. i am hopeful you are not.
    i appreciate your toning down the rhetoric in this response. someone is not more smart or less smart than anyone else because they have a different opinion or because they defend bb's decisions. let people have their say. have your say.  enjoy life. there is no need to belittle other people's opinions, even if you dont agree or they are contrary to choices our organization makes.

by the, way, critiques spur growth, agreement does not. there's room for both.

peace

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I came on in 2004 before they reset all our screen names etc a few years back.  But I didnt post much early on.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    Yeah. Yeah. I looked back a page right after I posted and noted you and of course Zb, who has been around a long time, too. NEGame has been on since then.  they've probably deleted 3 or 4 of my accounts, though, I don't think anyone got through their purging of posters during the Ron Borges plagiarism incident

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't think they will pick anyone at 33, there's no value pick there IMO.

I believe they can trade to 45 or so and get their OLB.  Say San Fran for 45 and 76.  They will still get an OLB type.

33 SF - Kapernick QB
    34 Buf - Ayers OLB
    35 Cin - Dalton QB
    36 Den - M. Austin DT
    37 Cle - Torrey Smith WR
    38 Arz - Brooks Reed OLB
    39 Ten - Paea DT
    40 Dal - Jarvis Jenkins DT
    41 Was - Leshoure RB
    42 Tex - Aaron Williams CB/S
    43 Min - Bowers DE
    44 Det - Ras I Dowling
    45 NE - Jabaal Sheard/Justin Houston (if NE is convinced he's not as much of an idiot as his positive pot test at the combine says he is)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think they will pick anyone at 33, there's no value pick there IMO. I believe they can trade to 40 or so and get their OLB.  Say San Fran for 45 and 76.  They will still get an OLB type. 33 SF - Kapernick QB 34 Buf - Ayers OLB 35 Cin - Dalton QB 36 Den - M. Austin DT 37 Cle - Torrey Smith WR 38 Arz - Brooks Reed OLB 39 Ten - Paea DT 40 Dal - Jarvis Jenkins DT 41 Was - Leshoure RB 42 Tex - Aaron Williams CB/S 43 Min - Bowers DE 44 Det - Ras I Dowling 45 NE - Jabaal Sheard/Justin Houston (if NE is convinced he's not as much of an idiot as his positive pot test at the combine says he is)
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    agree, 100%

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I've been reading most all of the thoughts and reactions to the Solder pick at 17. None of us that I can recall called Solder, but Faucet was close with an OT. Good on you Faucet!

Overall, I think it's a good pick. Safe, not risky, addresses an area of great need.

We still have a lot of draft to go. My guess is BB gets us a pass rusher in round 2, and we still have some good DT/DE talent available as well. My wish was for us to load up on 2nd rounders because I see a ton of value there, and some good talent.

I think we will walk out of round 2 with either Reed, Sheard, Ayers or Acho (i prefer Reed to Sheard), a WR, and a DT if we use all 3. Marvin Austin is still on the board, as is Jarvis Jenkins, Kenrick Ellis, Bailey and others. Only 3 WR's taken in round 1, so Smith, Cobb, etc. are still there.

We have a long way to go fellas. Stay positive. I think we'll have a much clearer picture of the big picture when round 2 is done...oh, by the way we also have 2 picks in round 3 that we know about.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]if you lose Mankins and light the OL will be much weaker than the pass rush.  In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

That is really the point. This OL minus Mank, Light and Neal = NEED. 

It isn't sexy, but from a straight NEED perspective NE filled it's biggest hole first, like they always do. 

The next biggest NEED is RB, from a roster perspective. But I think the complete lack of talent at perimeter WR and OLB will urge BB and Co., to take players there first. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I still have Marcus Gilbert and Clint Boling on my board, and wouldn't mind NE taking TWO OL players in the first two rounds. Either of them improves this team inside.  I like Reed and Smith anyway ... after Miller and Jones .. who were long gone, they were my two faves for what NE does/needs. So hopefully they can get those guys. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I really like Gilbert and I posted ealier that BB asked about him last year when Tebow was debreifed in Boston.  Gilbert can play RT in a pinch but can start inside.  If mankins doesn't come back I like Austin there and then Gilbert at RG or Moffit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

this pick answers some questions....Solder is our new RT...Vollmer is our new LT ...Light is probably gone...Kazcur can't be counted on...this is a big need pick and a good one...trading #28 is ok with an additional second rounder #56 tomorrow....now trade #33 for a 2012 #1 and switch seconds and it's load up time...gotta accept the way BB operates....it'll look good when the smoke clears....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I still have Marcus Gilbert and Clint Boling on my board, and wouldn't mind NE taking TWO OL players in the first two rounds. Either of them improves this team inside.  I like Reed and Smith anyway ... after Miller and Jones .. who were long gone, they were my two faves for what NE does/needs. So hopefully they can get those guys. 

Yeah, Smith would be a nice get as well.  Boling's experience, SEC pedigree and versatility should be appealing to BB and Co.  I also wouldn't mind a solid yet unspectacular kid like Wisniewski at some point on day two to play on the interior.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : i've seen some of your posts. you have had some posts ive appreciated. why you feel you need to compete or to win (i've been on this thread more than you ).  are you really that insecure about yourself. i am hopeful you are not. i appreciate your toning down the rhetoric in this response. someone is not more smart or less smart than anyone else because they have a different opinion or because they defend bb's decisions. let people have their say. have your say.  enjoy life. there is no need to belittle other people's opinions, even if you dont agree or they are contrary to choices our organization makes. by the, way, critiques spur growth, agreement does not. there's room for both. peace
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

I dont see it as a competition, just a statement of facts.  You implied (and it seemed like I was one of the people referred to) that some of us addressing the "whining" and those name calling were not contributors to this thread, here long, consistant posters etc.  I was countering that. 
    My issue is with the, "the sky is falling" mentality after just 1 rd.  We may not have beaten the jets last year in the playoffs, but I think we can.  Do I want a pass rusher, absolutely.  Love and hoping for Sheard.  This draft is far from over.  Quality players are still there at all the need positions.  I am guessing and speculating that BB didnt see 3-4 DE a huge need, unlike most of us here, since Warren will be back and we have several young, developing guys already.  I will be unhappy if we dont grab an OLB, but I expect to improve either way.
    Another thing many here seem to miss.  We all start with 1 pick in each rd.  Even just using the 1 1st rd pick at 17, we picked 11 spots higher than where we should have picked.  That has value, about a 2nd rd pick in value.  Many here seem to miss the little things like that. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

One thing I wish I had brought up about Kerrigan, Carimi, and Heyward was that they play in the Big Ten. For some reason, it doesn't seem like the Pats target Big Ten. Maybe it changes during day 3 with players like Moffitt and Wisniewski being potential interior offensive line targets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I'm a big Bowers fan but it looks like his knee is in bad shape or he wouldn't of dropped out of the round. A shame

My 2nd round pass rusher is Chris Carter from Fresno and we have a connection there as we hired the strength coach from his 2009 season. As we saw tonight with Solder that matters in alot of cases. I am not sure about other GM's but it does seem that BB has some long term organizational connection with many of his picks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Yeah, Smith would be a nice get as well.  Boling's experience, SEC pedigree and versatility should be appealing to BB and Co.  I also wouldn't mind a solid yet unspectacular kid like Wisniewski at some point on day two to play on the interior.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I'd take him for his name alone. Good ole Steve Wisniewski!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : That is really the point. This OL minus Mank, Light and Neal = NEED.  It isn't sexy, but from a straight NEED perspective NE filled it's biggest hole first, like they always do.  The next biggest NEED is RB, from a roster perspective. But I think the complete lack of talent at perimeter WR and OLB will urge BB and Co., to take players there first. 

Give you a name of a RB I like

Stevan Ridley, similar speed to ingram but better than him in 3cone and shuttle.  Not saying he will be as good as ingram or the same back but he rushed for 1,145 and 15 TDs.  In SEC those are pretty good and considering LSU (believe this is your team right?) didn't have much of a passing attack teams were stacking the box.

I know you probably know more about him than I do since you are the LSU fan, so what do you think about Ridley?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]One thing I wish I had brought up about Kerrigan, Carimi, and Heyward was that they play in the Big Ten. For some reason, it doesn't seem like the Pats target Big Ten. Maybe it changes during day 3 with players like Moffitt and Wisniewski being potential interior offensive line targets.

That's for durn sure. BB always goes after SEC and PAC-10 kids first .... heck he drafts ACC and BIG EAST before he goes to the BIG-10 ....

Kind of makes a little sense, because BIG-10 football is really dated ... though I think they do produce some great OL talent ... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Yeah. Yeah. I looked back a page right after I posted and noted you and of course Zb, who has been around a long time, too. NEGame has been on since then.  they've probably deleted 3 or 4 of my accounts, though, I don't think anyone got through their purging of posters during the Ron Borges plagiarism incident

I was on the forum before that too. Since about 2004 I think. I just straight up forgot my old handle password after not posting for the summer after that Superbowl.

Can't believe  it's been that long ... wonder how long this board will even be around, lol.