2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    [QUOTE]Cameron Jordan is a better fit than Watt. Watt gets run on all day.
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]
    Ricky,

I've been watching a ton of WIS football this year and Watt is stout against the run.  His job isn't to tackle the runner, he's a DE.  He needs to set the edge and take on the block and plug holes allowing his LBs to make the stop.  His job is to also penetrate and disrupt the QB which he does about as good as anybody.  His 15 tackles for loss (not counting today) ties him with Fairley for 8th most in Div I. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]What do you think about JJ Watt at DE for a late 1st or early 2nd? I know his stock has risen recently. He's big (290), fast, agile, and has some very good pass rushing moves. He plays well in the 3-4. He is used to playing in cold weather and is considered pretty smart, which BB likes. The reason he is getting run on is because he is constantly double teamed. He's the most dynamic DL on Wisconsin's team. He sees a ton of doubles. Thoughts? **Guess I'm a little late to the conversation. I see him being discussed***
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

If Watt comes out there is no way he drops past 20.  Top 10 is more likely IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]Cameron Jordan is a better fit than Watt. Watt gets run on all day.

WHAT JJ WATT HAVE U BEEN WATCHING? 18 TFL 7SACKS 1 INT 2FF 96TACKLES
    DUDE IS A BEAST

CAMERON JORDAN IS A MONSTER AS WELL WITH 7 SACKS AND PLAYS IN A 34

BOTH WOULD FIT FINE IN NE

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Ricky, I've been watching a ton of WIS football this year and Watt is stout against the run.  His job isn't to tackle the runner, he's a DE.  He needs to set the edge and take on the block and plug holes allowing his LBs to make the stop.  His job is to also penetrate and disrupt the QB which he does about as good as anybody.  His 15 tackles for loss (not counting today) ties him with Fairley for 8th most in Div I. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucet,

I was just going to say that. If Watt took his blocks and allowed Mayo and Spikes to stuff the run, you can't ask for anything more than that on the run. DE's make stops on the run in college, but not so much in the NFL. Everything is so much quicker. Allowing the LB's to make the plays is where its at in the NFL.

I've been watching Wisc quite a bit as well and I'm really impressed with the kid. He has some great moves to get the QB, especially a nice swim move. He's exceptionally quick off the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : DEMARCO MURRAY IS A PATS TYPE RB HE IS A EXCELLENT RECIEVING BACK AND FOR A SMALL GUY RUNS IN BETWEEN THE TACKLES PRETTY WELL. I ALSO LIKE RYAN WILLIAMS FROM VA TECH IF HE COMES OUT
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]
    Everyone loves DeMarco Murray.  He is excellent coming out of the backfield but I don't see him as a tough runner.  I only watched one of his games and he was one hit and done.  His 4.42 yards per carry are the lowest of any of the elite backs in college.  Out in the flat catching passes is where he is most dangerous.  His 1716 all purpose yards are among the best.  To me if you want a receiver, draft a receiver.  If you want a RB, draft a RB.  Murray is tall and skinny, 6-1, 208 but fast 4.48.  But he will not get you a tough yard and that's what we need.  He needs to work in space to be effective.  Inside the tackles especially at the next level he would be a liability unless he spends a lot of time in the weight room.  I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd round.  But, that's just me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I have written since last year about Fairley,Carimi and Powell since last year and believe both are the type of player B.B. and the Patriots look to bring on board in terms of physical attributes,intelligence,instincts,work ehtis,leadership,maturity and their love of the game,and I have seen nothing this season to make me feel otherwise.However,who they sign as FA's will certainly have some degree of impact on the players they target in the 2011 draft,though I don't believe it would prevent them from selecting players who they rate highly and covet.Also,I'd be more than pleased with either Henry or Moffitt at the guard slot.Having said this,their are a number of others who I believe the Pats would really like to bring on board including the two guys from B.C.Given my druthers,I'd perfer them to sign a big,quality WR and and a pass rushing OLB as free agents and concentrate their draft effeorts on both lines.Finally,re-signing Mankins would make grabbing a guard late first of early second less critical but with Neal within a year of retiring I feel they should still target a guard no later than their own second rounder and i'd still grab OLB'ers Kerrigan or Quinn in the first if they do slip some and you never know when you get lucky as they did in the last draft with Spikes and Hernandez.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Faucet, I was just going to say that. If Watt took his blocks and allowed Mayo and Spikes to stuff the run, you can't ask for anything more than that on the run. DE's make stops on the run in college, but not so much in the NFL. Everything is so much quicker. Allowing the LB's to make the plays is where its at in the NFL. I've been watching Wisc quite a bit as well and I'm really impressed with the kid. He has some great moves to get the QB, especially a nice swim move. He's exceptionally quick off the ball.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

We agree.  Watt is the real deal.  He's had several knock downs that led to interceptions just in the past 2 games.  He forces fumbles at an amazing rate.  If he doesn't get the sack he at least beats his guy enough to hit the QB's arm.  He did that again today.  He has some great moves and plays with solid technique.  He is also very athletic, quick and fast.  Being a former TE I'm sure helps.  He over matched every OL I've seen him go against in the 5-6 games I've watched this year.  Watt will be without a doubt the BIG TEN DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR and he will be an early first round pick.  I say this without seeing him at the Combine where he will jump through the roof and out race many LBs in the 40.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Watt can get too high vs the run. i think he's a better fit in the 4-3. great pass rusher.

6-6, 292 has 34 DE written all over it IMO.  Watt has the frame to handle 310 without losing much of anything speed-wise.  This kid was playing TE until 2 years ago.  I don't get too concerned about minor fixable technique stuff.  He already has great pass rushing skills which is harder to teach than getting high against the run.  Watt is an absolute beast and is an OC's worst nightmare because he has a motor that never stops.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : 6-6, 292 has 34 DE written all over it IMO.  Watt has the frame to handle 310 without losing much of anything speed-wise.  This kid was playing TE until 2 years ago.  I don't get too concerned about minor fixable technique stuff.  He already has great pass rushing skills which is harder to teach than getting high against the run.  Watt is an absolute beast and is an OC's worst nightmare because he has a motor that never stops.

I POSTED SOMETHING SIMILAR ABOUT COSTANZO, HE HAS NFL READY PASS PROTECTING SKILLS AND ATHLETICISM THAT DOESNT COME FROM COACHING. HE CVAN BE COACHED UP IN THE RUN GAME, SAME WITH WATT, I THINK HE IS FINE AGAINST THE RUN BUT SOME BELIEVE HE NEEDS WORK, WICH IS FINE, THAT IS COACHABLE, THE INSTINCTS AND ATHLETICISM U NEED THAT HE HAS TO RUSH THE PASSER ARE NATURAL, I HOPE HE COMES OUT, HE IS A SOLID PLAYER.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I POSTED SOMETHING SIMILAR ABOUT COSTANZO, HE HAS NFL READY PASS PROTECTING SKILLS AND ATHLETICISM THAT DOESNT COME FROM COACHING. HE CVAN BE COACHED UP IN THE RUN GAME, SAME WITH WATT, I THINK HE IS FINE AGAINST THE RUN BUT SOME BELIEVE HE NEEDS WORK, WICH IS FINE, THAT IS COACHABLE, THE INSTINCTS AND ATHLETICISM U NEED THAT HE HAS TO RUSH THE PASSER ARE NATURAL, I HOPE HE COMES OUT, HE IS A SOLID PLAYER.
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]
    I think Watt comes out.  WIS will lose a lot of players after this season with Carimi, Moffitt, Nagy, Kendricks, and Tolzien all seniors and Clay rumored to be coming out.  That's basically half the offense turning over with the entire middle to left of the offensive line.  WIS will finish #3 to #6 and I don't think they will have the weapons to return to such a lofty place next year.  Besides, Watt has been in college 4 years and his stock won't get any higher.  It would make no sense for him to return for a 5th year.  NFL careers are short, why waste another year in college and shorten it further?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Pats were experimenting moving Kaczur to RG during camp before he got hurt.  Since Kaz is signed through 2012 I wonder if they will try that again?  Kaz is 6-4, 315.  Neal, who is signed through 2011 but could retire, is 6-4, 305.  Neal will be 35 before the start of the 2011 season, Kaz will be 32.

Even with this move the Pats are getting really old across the OL.  Koppen turns 32, Light, if he stays, turns 33.  At a minimum, we need to spend 2 picks on the OL even if Mankins stays.

Defensively we have 22 players signed through at least 2011 including all 2010 starters.  The only players who will become free agents on D are Gerard Warren, Jarrod Page, Kyle Arrington and Tracy White who is really just a special teams player.  With Ty Warren coming back, Gerard Warren is expendible and he could retire anyway.  Page has done nothing.  Arrington is restricted and should be back and hopefully we can keep White.

I see only three players in the draft who would upgrade our DL in Fairley, Watt and Dareus and they are all juniors.  We may as well assume we won't get any of them.  This would tend to move Kerrigan to the top of my wish list for defensive players.  Defensively we have only 3 players who will be 30 next year in Warren (30), Bodden (30) and Banta-Cain (31).  So, I'm not sure how much more youth we need on Defense.  Sanders and Meriweather are both free agents after 2011 so perhaps we should add a safety.  One could argue for a corner but with Bodden coming back, I'm just not sure it makes sense.  So, I would draft Kerrigan with the Raider pick and add a safety.  The rest of the picks should go to offense IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats were experimenting moving Kaczur to RG during camp before he got hurt.  Since Kaz is signed through 2012 I wonder if they will try that again?  Kaz is 6-4, 315.  Neal, who is signed through 2011 but could retire, is 6-4, 305.  Neal will be 35 before the start of the 2011 season, Kaz will be 32. Even with this move the Pats are getting really old across the OL.  Koppen turns 32, Light, if he stays, turns 33.  At a minimum, we need to spend 2 picks on the OL even if Mankins stays. Defensively we have 22 players signed through at least 2011 including all 2010 starters.  The only players who will become free agents on D are Gerard Warren, Jarrod Page, Kyle Arrington and Tracy White who is really just a special teams player.  With Ty Warren coming back, Gerard Warren is expendible and he could retire anyway.  Page has done nothing.  Arrington is restricted and should be back and hopefully we can keep White. I see only three players in the draft who would upgrade our DL in Fairley, Watt and Dareus and they are all juniors.  We may as well assume we won't get any of them.  This would tend to move Kerrigan to the top of my wish list for defensive players.  Defensively we have only 3 players who will be 30 next year in Warren (30), Bodden (30) and Banta-Cain (31).  So, I'm not sure how much more youth we need on Defense.  Sanders and Meriweather are both free agents after 2011 so perhaps we should add a safety.  One could argue for a corner but with Bodden coming back, I'm just not sure it makes sense.  So, I would draft Kerrigan with the Raider pick and add a safety.  The rest of the picks should go to offense IMO.

You won't get an argument from me on Kerrigan, he's one of my favorite players in this class (see post 1 of this thread).  As for CB, I think it's a bigger need than most people think, even with Bodden coming back as Wilhite, Aarington and Butler are replacable.   Think about how much better their defense (and secondary play) would be with 3 above average to potential pro-bowl level defenders in the mix, not to mention the depth it would provide.  If the assumption is that Fairley, Watt and Dareus are either off the board or don't declare, a player like Janoris Jenkins (assuming he declares) would be firmly in the discussion with the Raiders pick as the BPA, IMO. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : You won't get an argument from me on Kerrigan, he's one of my favorite players in this class (see post 1 of this thread).  As for CB, I think it's a bigger need than most people think, even with Bodden coming back as Wilhite, Aarington and Butler are replacable.   Think about how much better their defense (and secondary play) would be with 3 above average to potential pro-bowl level defenders in the mix, not to mention the depth it would provide.  If the assumption is that Fairley, Watt and Dareus are either off the board or don't declare, a player like Janoris Jenkins (assuming he declares) would be firmly in the discussion with the Raiders pick as the BPA, IMO. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I THINK THE PATS WILL DRAFT A CORNER BUT NOT TILL THE 3RD ROUND, I LIKE RASHARD CARMICHAEL VT. I DEF THINK BB GOES OLB DE AND O LINE FIRST THAN CB WR RB LATER. OF COURSE THIS DEPENDS WHAT FREE AGENTS IF ANY WE PICK UP IN THE OFFSEASON.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

My Latest mock.  This assumes Kerrigan who is rising, Watt, Fairley and Dareus are all gone.  Many will be shocked in that I only took 2 defensive players.  Our defense is young, it will improve plus we are getting Warren and Bodden back.  I loaded up on offense and Brady will go crazy with his new toys.  It will be 2007 all over again.

#17  WR Julio Jones, 6-4, 220, 4.49. Dynamic receiver who can stretch the field and make big plays.  Tate is not the answer and Branch is getting old.  This goes against the grain of traditional BB thinking.
    #30  OT DeMarcus Love, Arkansas, 6-5, 315, 5.18.  Plug him in at RT allowing us to move Vollmer over to LT to replace Light
    #33  RB Bilal Powell, Louisville, 6-0, 215, 4.52. All purpose back becomes featured back with BJGE backing up.
    #62  LG John Moffitt, Wisconsin, 6-4, 323, 5.26.  Replaces Mankins if he leaves, otherwise he moves over to RG replacing Neal.
    #70  OLB KJ Wright, Miss State, 6-4, 250, 4.60.  Has 6 sacks, solid in both running and passing game.  Should push Ninkovich.
    #94  WR Titus Young, Boise State, 5-11, 170, 4.48. Branch turns 32 and is a $6MM man.  He also is prone to injury.  Young's 18 yards per catch is among the best of the top WRs.  Young is tough, runs great routes and has great hands.  I've been impressed with him the 3-4 games I've seen him.
    #126  CB Mario Butler, Georgia Tech, 6-0, 284, 4.49. Perhaps this Butler will pan out either at CB or FS.
    #6C   RB Keith Payne, Virginia, 6-3, 255, 4.67.  We get him for one thing, short yardage plays.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : You won't get an argument from me on Kerrigan, he's one of my favorite players in this class (see post 1 of this thread).  As for CB, I think it's a bigger need than most people think, even with Bodden coming back as Wilhite, Aarington and Butler are replacable.   Think about how much better their defense (and secondary play) would be with 3 above average to potential pro-bowl level defenders in the mix, not to mention the depth it would provide.  If the assumption is that Fairley, Watt and Dareus are either off the board or don't declare, a player like Janoris Jenkins (assuming he declares) would be firmly in the discussion with the Raiders pick as the BPA, IMO. 
    That's why I've been advocating for getting Jonathan Joseph in free agency.  Let's go get a proven veteran starter who is still in his prime and quit wasting high picks on the position.  Butler, Wheatley, what a waste!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : That's why I've been advocating for getting Jonathan Joseph in free agency.  Let's go get a proven veteran starter who is still in his prime and quit wasting high picks on the position.  Butler, Wheatley, what a waste!!

I just don't see them throwing premium $$ at a top 10 rated NFL CB.  Butler and Wheatley haven't panned out, however McCourty is a top three defender on this team (upside to become their top defender) and was a 1st round CB, so not all has been wasted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Potential Late Round Skill Position Targets (Rd’s 5-7/URFA): 

QB
    : 

Greg McElroy (6-2 228) Alabama- Smart kid, very accurate (70.5 comp % in 2010), manages the game well, makes few mistakes, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven in the SEC.

Mitch Mustain (6-3 205) USC- This would be more of an upside pick as he hasn’t seen the field much since his freshman year after transferring to USC from Arkansas.  He was however a highly rated QB coming out of HS.

WR:

Jeremy Kerley (5-10 190) TCU
    - Elite quickness, fluidity and agility with big play ability, will work the middle of the field and has solid hands.  He’ll also provide value in the return game.

Jeff Maehl (6-1 184) Oregon- Solid college WR, decent production, solid routes, good hands, looks like a  potential possession WR at the NFL level.

Dane Sanzenbacher (5-11 182) Ohio State- He’s another solid college, WR, good quickness and solid career production in the Big Ten.

RB:

Matt Asiata (5-11 225) Utah
    - Good size and power, also has shown the ability to catch the football (53 career receptions, 31 in 2010) and also has some experience running the wildcat.

Robert Hughes (5-11 245) ND- Another back with good size and power, projects as an ideal short yardage back (15 career TD’s).  He too has also shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield with 42 career receptions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I see that posters who repeatedly ask for opinions on this thread about Daniel Thomas being perfect for our backfield get ignored but those who make little jabs against Watt, who Faucet and mbeau love, will be responded to every day and twice on Sunday;-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I see that posters who repeatedly ask for opinions on this thread about Daniel Thomas being perfect for our backfield get ignored but those who make little jabs against Watt, who Faucet and mbeau love, will be responded to every day and twice on Sunday;-)
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I've only seen Thomas one time this year and wasn't impressed, mostly because Nebraska loaded up the box to stop him which it did, limiting him to 63 yards on 22 carries and 0 TD's; tough to ignore his overall career production though.  He has the size and power that you look for and has shown the ability to catch the football making him a potential 3 down player. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]I see that posters who repeatedly ask for opinions on this thread about Daniel Thomas being perfect for our backfield get ignored but those who make little jabs against Watt, who Faucet and mbeau love, will be responded to every day and twice on Sunday;-)
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

i saw him a couple times this year he is productive but imo runs to straight up to be picked in the first round he should go in the late 2nd or 3rd 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Potential Late Round Skill Position Targets (Rd’s 5-7/URFA):   QB :   Greg McElroy (6-2 228) Alabama - Smart kid, very accurate (70.5 comp % in 2010), manages the game well, makes few mistakes, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven in the SEC. Mitch Mustain (6-3 205) USC - This would be more of an upside pick as he hasn’t seen the field much since his freshman year after transferring to USC from Arkansas.   He was however a highly rated QB coming out of HS. WR: Jeremy Kerley (5-10 190) TCU - Elite quickness, fluidity and agility with big play ability, will work the middle of the field and has solid hands.   He’ll also provide value in the return game. Jeff Maehl (6-1 184) Oregon - Solid college WR, decent production, solid routes, good hands, looks like a   potential possession WR at the NFL level. Dane Sanzenbacher (5-11 182) Ohio State - He’s another solid college, WR, good quickness and solid career production in the Big Ten. RB: Matt Asiata (5-11 225) Utah - Good size and power, also has shown the ability to catch the football (53 career receptions, 31 in 2010) and also has some experience running the wildcat. Robert Hughes (5-11 245) ND - Another back with good size and power, projects as an ideal short yardage back (15 career TD’s).   He too has also shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield with 42 career receptions.

I like Maehl and Asiata a lot.  Maehl in particular catches everything thrown to him and is a clutch receiver.  Another back who is interesting is Alex Green from Hawaii.  I know it's Hawaii but he has sick numbers, 118/1032 an 8.75 average per carry with 16 TDs.  He's 6-0, 230, 4.63 and will most likely be a UDFA.

Sections
Shortcuts