2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    [QUOTE]I see that posters who repeatedly ask for opinions on this thread about Daniel Thomas being perfect for our backfield get ignored but those who make little jabs against Watt, who Faucet and mbeau love, will be responded to every day and twice on Sunday;-)
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    I have Daniel Thomas as my 5th best back.  He's a big back with good production but not very quick or fast.  I'm not a huge fan of drafting RBs high as most know but it's hard not to be intrigued by Hunter and Powell who I like more than Thomas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I've only seen Thomas one time this year and wasn't impressed, mostly because Nebraska loaded up the box to stop him which it did, limiting him to 63 yards on 22 carries and 0 TD's; tough to ignore his overall career production though.  He has the size and power that you look for and has shown the ability to catch the football making him a potential 3 down player. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Hey... thanks:-)

I am really just looking at his size and production compared to his #'s. He may have a poor 40 time, but is such a beast and flat out racks up yards and TD's that is likely not a major issue. 

I have only seen him twice as well, in the game vs. rival Kansas he was getting 5 yards on plays smaller RB's would have only gotten 1-2. In the pro's, I'd see him being more of a guarantee than BJGE to convert and 3rd or 4th and 1. I'd also see him possibly breaking a big play more often and being downright Corey Dillon in cold weather.

Easily a huge upgrade over Sammy Morris.

A 3 headed attack of Thomas (18 carries) Law Firm (12) and Woodhead (8 with 4 receptions) would be dominating.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I have Daniel Thomas as my 5th best back.  He's a big back with good production but not very quick or fast.  I'm not a huge fan of drafting RBs high as most know but it's hard not to be intrigued by Hunter and Powell who I like more than Thomas.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I agree that Thomas might not be worth pick 33, but I also feel he will be gone by our late 2nd rd pick. I think Thomas fits well with BJGE and Woodhead b/c they all would be relied on and have different styles.

A good move I'd like to see would be to trade our own 1st and 2nd rd picks this year, plus MN's 3rd and a 2nd next year, to get a teams 1st and 2nd rd picks that are like 17-22 and 49-54.

In that spot we could hopefully grab one of Kerrigan/Ayers and Quinn (after having grabbed an 3-4 DE with Oaklands pick). Then the defensive 7 is stacked for the future.

So the Pats can go offense, take an O-line guy @ 33 and Thomas with the higher 2nd rd pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Oakland loss puts them in a 6 way tie for 11th worse record.  I know I've been saying it but we need to try to get Fairley or Watt even if it means moving up a reasonable distance.  If Oakland finishes here we could take our 2nd, currently #62 and move up to #6. Our DL lacks a disruptive force and either of these guys would give us that.

Or, we could take our OAK #11 and our CAR #33 and move up to #4.  I think it is a slam dunk that AJ Green, Patrick Peterson and Andrew Luck (if he comes out) come off the board in the top 5 so we should be able to get either Watt or Fairley.  Does anyone else think it's worth two picks to land one of these guys?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I agree that Thomas might not be worth pick 33, but I also feel he will be gone by our late 2nd rd pick. I think Thomas fits well with BJGE and Woodhead b/c they all would be relied on and have different styles. A good move I'd like to see would be to trade our own 1st and 2nd rd picks this year, plus MN's 3rd and a 2nd next year, to get a teams 1st and 2nd rd picks that are like 17-22 and 49-54. In that spot we could hopefully grab one of Kerrigan/Ayers and Quinn (after having grabbed an 3-4 DE with Oaklands pick). Then the defensive 7 is stacked for the future. So the Pats can go offense, take an O-line guy @ 33 and Thomas with the higher 2nd rd pick.
    I agree that Thomas at 6-2, 228 would give us more of a power run game than the 5-11, 215 BJGE.  We do struggle on short yardage situations running the ball.  However, Thomas is a little too tall and I worry that he won't run low enough to be effective in those situations.  I do agree he would likely be gone by 62.  I think Anthony Allen 6-0, 230 but faster (4.58) would bring us a little more pop and leverage and could be had late 3rd or 4th round.  I have John Clay dropping too assuming he comes out. 

I'd like for us to get more of a power OL and maybe BJGE could get that extra yard.  I'm not trying to rain on your idea.  Thomas is a solid back and he's been very productive.  But at 6-2, he's the tallest of the elite backs and that isn't usually a good thing especially when you aren't blessed with great speed and shiftiness.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I agree that Thomas at 6-2, 228 would give us more of a power run game than the 5-11, 215 BJGE.  We do struggle on short yardage situations running the ball.  However, Thomas is a little too tall and I worry that he won't run low enough to be effective in those situations.  I do agree he would likely be gone by 62.  I think Anthony Allen 6-0, 230 but faster (4.58) would bring us a little more pop and leverage and could be had late 3rd or 4th round.  I have John Clay dropping too assuming he comes out.  I'd like for us to get more of a power OL and maybe BJGE could get that extra yard.  I'm not trying to rain on your idea.  Thomas is a solid back and he's been very productive.  But at 6-2, he's the tallest of the elite backs and that isn't usually a good thing especially when you aren't blessed with great speed and shiftiness.

Well Allen sure looked great yesterday, I flipped around but caught some of the GT-Georgia game. Pretty powerful.

If I knew that Allen would be basically the same player in short down situations and break a few more just b/c of that slightly extra speed, then of course I'd take him over Thomas.

I assume you feel that taking an OT and an OG with 2 of our 3 picks in that 28-64 range, and then a RB with one of our 3 picks in that 75-110 range is going to result in a superior trio?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, as much as I love your drafts and knowledge, I hate that last draft.  I will be unhappy if we dont grab a pass rusher in the 1 4 picks, hopefully an OLB in the 1st.  I can live with our DL, not our OLBs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Well Allen sure looked great yesterday, I flipped around but caught some of the GT-Georgia game. Pretty powerful. If I knew that Allen would be basically the same player in short down situations and break a few more just b/c of that slightly extra speed, then of course I'd take him over Thomas. I assume you feel that taking an OT and an OG with 2 of our 3 picks in that 28-64 range, and then a RB with one of our 3 picks in that 75-110 range is going to result in a superior trio?
    I don't know about Superior.  I feel that everything starts up front in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  I'm assuming that both Light and Mankins will be gone.  Perhaps I'm wrong especially about Light.  He may stick around.  For a player that has been with us so long, he hasn't been crying to the press about a new contract like some others, Moss and Mankins for instance.  I feel that there are 5 or 6 solid LTs that should go from about 12 to 35.  That is why my mocks usually having us grabbing an OT with either our late first or the CAR pick.  I feel also that there are only three elite OGs that fit the BB model.  They are Schilling, Moffit and Henry.  I don't want to wait until the MIN pick in fear that all three will be gone.

As for RBs, I think there are 10-15 solid options that should be available from late first to mid 4th so why spend a higher pick?  I know I mocked Powell at #33 recently because I was trying to do something different.

To answer Mord, my overwhelming preference and desire is to land Watt or Fairley even if it means trading up and losing our late 2nd, then come back and hopefully land Kerrigan with our late first.  But Kerrigan is sure to be a hot commodity in that he will be looked at by 43 teams as a DE and 34 teams as an OLB.  This means to me that we can't have both Kerrigan and a stud DE.  I agree we need a better pass rush but to me, that too starts up front with the DL.  If those three guys are being doubled we can live with a less than elite rushing OLB.  Cunningham is showing promise and Banta Cain would be good for 10 sacks.  We need move coverage sacks too that we just aren't getting anymore.

Other potential options at OLB include Bowers, Quinn, Ayers, Wilson, Hightower and even Audie Cole if they come out.  For seniors there's Herzlich, Beal, KJ Wright, and Sam Acho to go along with Kerrigan. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet I see this as almost a chicken and the egg scenario.  What will help us more regarding applying pressure?  A better 3-4 DE or a better (hopefully 3 down) OLB?  Now I like our D line, not saying it cant be better, but I dont hate it.  Now our OLBs leave much to be desired.  I think we can improve more there.  That is why I want the OLB more so.  Plus we have Warren coming back on the DL next year to strengthen them as well.  Lastly, looking down the line, assuming we hit on the pick----an OLB generally is less to extend than a DE.  That is more of a cap reason, but something I think about. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Faucet,

Good stuff, thanks for the response.

Hopefully Light and Mankins will not both be gone. 

I'm thinking 90% chance Light is back but 50-50 on Mankins. I really can't call that situation anymore, but if we have some playoff sucess, give him the 6/42 type offer again and don't ask for that silly apology then I'd hope he stays.

I'd hate to have to fill either O-line spot thru the draft. I'd rather be assured that we're solid @ LG, C and RT. Then we draft a RG to play w/ Neal and eventually start/ be great next year and a LT to play behind Light and eventually start and be great in 1-2 years.

But I'd be VERY worried about guard if Mankins leaves. I'd think that Connelly/Neal can tag team RG just fine but a LG would HAVE to be picked in the 26-34 range. So isn't it work an extra year or million a year to Mankins on the contract just to not have to use a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a guard?

Also good to hear that there are many solid backs that could be there w/ those 3 picks 75-110. I lean towards the 6' 215+ guys just b/c of what a bruiser on short yardage adds to BJGE/Woodhead.

Herzlich would be a solid ILB if around in the 3rd rd IMO, a guy to share some obv passing downs with Mayo while Spikes sits, not an everydown OLB like some people claim.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Oakland is going to be pick #9 is my best guess.  They will finish at 6-10.  SEA and STL finish ahead of them at 7-9.  Also at 6-10 will be HOU, MIN, WAS, ARI and TEN.  Oakland would lose the tie breaker to all those teams and be seeded lowest of the 6-10 teams.  I predict that none of the 3-8 or worse teams can catch OAK.  I have SF losing to ARI tomorrow.

The MIN pick and our #9 gets us to #6 if we need to make the move.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet I see this as almost a chicken and the egg scenario.  What will help us more regarding applying pressure?  A better 3-4 DE or a better (hopefully 3 down) OLB?  Now I like our D line, not saying it cant be better, but I dont hate it.  Now our OLBs leave much to be desired.  I think we can improve more there.  That is why I want the OLB more so.  Plus we have Warren coming back on the DL next year to strengthen them as well.  Lastly, looking down the line, assuming we hit on the pick----an OLB generally is less to extend than a DE.  That is more of a cap reason, but something I think about. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    Valid points Mord.  Who do you like then with the OAK pick, Kerrigan or someone else?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If I close my eyes and wish really hard, I can see a path for Watt to drop to #9.  In no particular order since this order is a couple of weeks old...

pickTEAMSelection
    1BUFQB Luck
    2CARWR Green
    3DALCB Peterson
    4SFQB Mallett
    5DETCB Amukamara
    6DENDE Fairley
    7CINQB Newton
    8CLEWR Jones
    9NEDE Watt

This would allow us to instead move up from #32 (yes, we win the SB, yeah) with pick 64 to pick #20 to land Kerrigan.  We still have pick #33 to take the best OT available.  Then with the MIN pick we hopefully still can land one of the BB type OGs, Schilling, Henry or Moffitt.  With our own 3rd and 4th we address RB and WR.

Think about what Watt and Kerrigan could do for our D.  I still would like to land Joseph in F/A and/or a stud S but we'd have the makings of a very solid D that is young and fast.  Offensively whether or not Mankins or Light stay or go, youth is needed and it won't be more than 1 year before Neal retires and 2 years for Light.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

So who all does everyone like for the first 3 rounds only? Curious to see what everyone thinks our needs/wants are and who everyone likes thus far?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Last post of the night, I promise:)).  What do you guys think of this depth chart for next year?  I have the player's age in 2011 followed by the year their contract expires.  Rookies are highlighted with where they were drafted.  I left their age out since they are all pretty much 21-23.  I shutter to think how good this team would be.

2011 Patriots
    OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot30 Welker '1125 Edelman '12 
    WR32 Branch '1126 Slater '11 
    LOT27 Vollmer '1229 LeVoir '11 
    LG30 Mankins '1425 Wendell '13 
    C31 Koppen '11  
    ROG29 Connolly '11#74 Ricky Henry '14 
    RT#33 D. Love '1432 Kaczur '12 
    TE21 Hernandez '1322 Gronkowski '1333 Crumpler '11
    QB34 Tom Brady '1425 Hoyer '11 
    RB26 Green-Ellis '13#127 E. Royster '14 
    26 Woodhead '13(6C) K. Payne '13 
    WR#96 T. Young '1423 B Tate '1223 Price '13

DEFENSE 25 Players
    DE 30 T Warren '1329 Wright '1225 Pryor '12
    NT29 Wilfork '1424 Brace '12 
    DE#9 JJ Watt '1524 Deaderick '13 
    OLB23 Cunningham '1331 Banta-Cain '12 
    ILB25 Mayo '1225 Guyton '1130 White '11
    ILB24 B Spikes '1325 Fletcher '12 
    OLB#20 R Kerrigan '1527 Ninkovich '11 
    LCB24 McCourty '1427 Wilhite '11 
    RCB27 Joseph (CIN) '1425 Arrington '1325 Butler '12
    SS24 Chung '1227 Meriweather '11 
    FS30 Bodden '1327 Sanders '11 

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK27 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LSTBD  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Okay, I lied, still up.  Mb gets credit for bringing Fairley to our attention.  Here's a portion of a recent story about him...

CBS commentators Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson alluded during the broadcast that some SEC coaches view Fairley as the best defensive tackle to grace the collegiate ranks since Warren Sapp was terrorizing opposing offensive lineman as a member of the Miami Hurrricanes back in the mid-nineties.

That’s a mighty big statement and no small praise, but it actually could very well be deserved.

If you don’t want to consider Fairley as the top defensive player in college football, that’s fine, but you at least have to put him in the top five.

Sure, players like LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson and Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers have each proved worthy of consideration this season, but there’s no doubt that Fairley belongs right in the mix with college football’s elite defenders.

He’s a nightmare to try and block and the type of takeover player that changes the face of games.

He may not quite be Ndamukong Suh, a defensive tackle who was otherworldly for Nebraska last year and ended up being the second pick of the 2010 NFL Draft. But Fairley has proved special in his own right.

He’ll likely add some much deserved hardware to his collection during the annual rounds of college football awards week, and when all is said and done, it would be a shock if Fairley doesn’t end up being one of the top 20 players selected in next year’s NFL Draft if he decides to leave school early.

More likely top 5 if you ask me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, I do like Kerrigan.  Being it is early, pre combine etc, it is hard to decide where he will fall.  I do think we have to grab him before the Jets pick.  I think they are going to look for an OLB that can get to the QB better.  Since their D is good but does not get sacks(not as many as a D that good should get), that would improve them greatly.  Using that logic is why I think we need to grab him before them in terms of draft spot location.  I see him as a 1st rd talent at this time.  Time will tell when we see his real measurements etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet, I do like Kerrigan.  Being it is early, pre combine etc, it is hard to decide where he will fall.  I do think we have to grab him before the Jets pick.  I think they are going to look for an OLB that can get to the QB better.  Since their D is good but does not get sacks(not as many as a D that good should get), that would improve them greatly.  Using that logic is why I think we need to grab him before them in terms of draft spot location.  I see him as a 1st rd talent at this time.  Time will tell when we see his real measurements etc.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    NFLdraftscout has Kerrigan as their #5 overall pick but they don't include juniors until they declare.  My brother's site, condraft, has him at #29.  Unless he does terrible at the Combine in the work outs and interviews it would be hard to not see him going in the first round.  I agree, the Jets could be targeting him and they are not afraid to make bold moves on draft day especially when they have few holes to fill.

This is the earliest I jumped into the draft due in large part to our number of premium picks.  IMO we have the ammo to move up and get some key players and this is the year where quality is better than quantity.  OLB is probably our weakest position heading into 2011 after RB but I am not worried about us re-tooling the RB position.  It was good to see Woodhead extended through 2012.

Back to Kerrigan, if we can land Watt or Fairley with one pick I would totally spend our late 2nd to move back up in the first to take Kerrigan.  I worry that he could go top 15.  A move that significant from 32 would take also our 33 to get to #13.  We would then miss out on an elite LT but would have fixed our defense for years especially if we also went out and got Joseph in free agency.

We are now heading into the time frame were we can really look at these prospects in the bowl games and All Star games where the competition is better.  The Combine gives us the measurables and allows us to see fluidity, etc.  There are always players that are liked now that drop and players nobody is talking about who will emerge on the scene.  That is exciting to see every year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I first want to say I like Fairley and Watt a lot as football players but I'm not sure they really fit into our system as 3-4 DE's.  I see them fitting better in a  4-3 alignment where they can shoot the gap and attack the QB.  I'm not sure they can hold up in a 2 gap scheme.  Now if the Pats go with a more attacking kind of 3-4 like the Steelers then yah I'm all for it.  I could be totally wrong but that's how I see it.  I think we have good depth at DE next year with Ty Warren coming back and Brace/Deaderick young and improving.  I think our big need is an OLB pass rusher.  However obviously if a Patrick Peterson slips a little you need to trade up and get him.  Otherwise you go after a Quinn/Bowers type of player with the first pick or if you want to use the second pick on a Kerrigan/Houston type player.  Look out for Justin Houston of Georgia.  He looks like a good fit for the Pats.  He's already playing in a 3-4 as an OLB and is putting up good numbers.  I do like Kerrigan's heart and strength but not sure if he has the speed in coverage.  I guess we'll have to wait for the combine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, I lied, still up.  Mb gets credit for bringing Fairley to our attention.  Here's a portion of a recent story about him... CBS commentators Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson alluded during the broadcast that some SEC coaches view Fairley as the best defensive tackle to grace the collegiate ranks since Warren Sapp was terrorizing opposing offensive lineman as a member of the Miami Hurrricanes back in the mid-nineties. That’s a mighty big statement and no small praise, but it actually could very well be deserved. If you don’t want to consider Fairley as the top defensive player in college football, that’s fine, but you at least have to put him in the top five. Sure, players like LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson and Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers have each proved worthy of consideration this season, but there’s no doubt that Fairley belongs right in the mix with college football’s elite defenders. He’s a nightmare to try and block and the type of takeover player that changes the face of games. He may not quite be Ndamukong Suh, a defensive tackle who was otherworldly for Nebraska last year and ended up being the second pick of the 2010 NFL Draft. But Fairley has proved special in his own right. He’ll likely add some much deserved hardware to his collection during the annual rounds of college football awards week, and when all is said and done, it would be a shock if Fairley doesn’t end up being one of the top 20 players selected in next year’s NFL Draft if he decides to leave school early. More likely top 5 if you ask me.

I can't take credit for bringing Fairley's name to this thread, ha.  I've talked him up, but I think 1 or 2 folks (ZB and another?) had mentioned him first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I can't take credit for bringing Fairley's name to this thread, ha.  I've talked him up, but I think 1 or 2 folks (ZB and another?) had mentioned him first.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Great job to Zb or whoever it was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I first want to say I like Fairley and Watt a lot as football players but I'm not sure they really fit into our system as 3-4 DE's.  I see them fitting better in a  4-3 alignment where they can shoot the gap and attack the QB.  I'm not sure they can hold up in a 2 gap scheme.  Now if the Pats go with a more attacking kind of 3-4 like the Steelers then yah I'm all for it.  I could be totally wrong but that's how I see it.  I think we have good depth at DE next year with Ty Warren coming back and Brace/Deaderick young and improving.  I think our big need is an OLB pass rusher.  However obviously if a Patrick Peterson slips a little you need to trade up and get him.  Otherwise you go after a Quinn/Bowers type of player with the first pick or if you want to use the second pick on a Kerrigan/Houston type player.  Look out for Justin Houston of Georgia.  He looks like a good fit for the Pats.  He's already playing in a 3-4 as an OLB and is putting up good numbers.  I do like Kerrigan's heart and strength but not sure if he has the speed in coverage.  I guess we'll have to wait for the combine.
    Posted by PatsNut5480[/QUOTE]
    I think both players can hold up in the 2 gap scheme.  Fairley is listed at 6-5, 298.  I've heard reports that he is closer to 6-4 but is up to 306.  JJ Watt is listed at 6-6, 292. 

Ty Warren is listed at 6-5, 300.  Mike Wright is 6-4, 295.  Deaderick is 6-4, 305.Fairley is right there.  Watt needs to add 10 lbs and he has the frame to do so.  We will find out at the Combine where they really are.  If Fairley comes in at 6-3.5 and Watt is still at 292 then I might agree with you.  There is no question both players would excel as 43 DEs since they already are doing that.  But both players are being doubled on nearly every play and are still getting through the line and being distruptive.  I've seen Watt and Fairley go inside between the tackle and guard and go outside around the tackle sometimes with a TE in help and still get to the QB.  Granted, this is college but of the DL in the draft, these two guys to me are the best fit I've seen for our system.

If memory serves, Seymour was a little on the smallish side when we drafted him.  He was a junior and I think only 20.  He quickly put on the weight.  College players are part-time players.  It's a full time job being an NFL player where they will get pro strength and conditioning.  Watt and Fairley are both juniors so I see them where Seymour was coming out. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's my Jr top heavy mock also going after some D.  Adding a few players probably not talked about.  Missed a ton of posts so not sure if they have or not but really liking what I'm finding on both 3rd round picks.
    Jarrett and Gates, think these guys could make a difference. 

1st Rnd
    (Oak) - Brandon Harris CB 5'11" 195 - another guy with shutdown CB type upside.  4 down player.
    Assng - Jared Crick DE 6'6" 290 this guy is the real thing, needs to add some bulk to hold against the run.  Has a none stop motor, great also at getting into the backfield and after the QB
    2nd Rnd
    (Car) - Aldon Smith OLB 6'5" 260 Great first step, only question is does he come out or return to school.
    assgn - Benjamin Ijalana OG 6'4" 320 plays tackle in college but projects as a guard.  Can pass block and run block, plays with an attitude, strong punch.  If Mankins is gone this guy could play himself into the starting role.
    3rd Rnd
    73 (Min) - Jaiquawn Jarrett FS 6'0" 202 smart football player, plays well in zone and is an excellent open field tackler.
    96 - Edmund Gates WR 6'0" 190 this kid from Abilene Christian dominates.  He is not a great route runner but it is does have a route tree.  Makes people miss in the open field, deep threat can break a big run anytime.
    4th Rnd
    101 (Denver) - Cyrus Gray RB 5'10" 198 fast shifty RB, can get to the corner.  Gives the offense yet another weapon.  Figure adding a few lbs and he could be a very dagerous combination with woody and BJGE.
    5th Rnd
    Chris Hairston OT 6'7" 325 If Light returns which I believe he will a RT of the future can be groomed for a season or two.  Hairston fits the bill.
    6th Rnd (dave thomas trade)
    6 Kyle Hix OT 6'7" 325 strickly a RT in the NFL, could add depth and maybe in the Patriots OL school he becomes a solid player

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I can't see the Patriots drafting a safety in this draft at all. They have 7 safeties now if you include the guys on IR. The kid from Auburn is a very good down lineman Fairley was all over the place against Bama. I can't project where BB will draft because i don't know how far down the list Oakland falls,having the 1rst pick in the second round is huge! That might be the best draft choice they own, just think of the offers that will come for that pick!!!! The Patriots won't have many openings on their roster so trading it out for picks in 2012 is a possibility,however if Mankins leaves then I could see them using it to draft the best available OG. Also if he leaves the Patriots will get a compensation pick at the end of round three,which would make this the deepest draft in the history of the NFL for one team! 2 firsts,two seconds,three 3rds and of course a 4th !! 8 players in the top 150... They don't have a 5th but that could change.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I think both players can hold up in the 2 gap scheme.  Fairley is listed at 6-5, 298.  I've heard reports that he is closer to 6-4 but is up to 306.  JJ Watt is listed at 6-6, 292.  Ty Warren is listed at 6-5, 300.  Mike Wright is 6-4, 295.  Deaderick is 6-4, 305.Fairley is right there.  Watt needs to add 10 lbs and he has the frame to do so.  We will find out at the Combine where they really are.  If Fairley comes in at 6-3.5 and Watt is still at 292 then I might agree with you.  There is no question both players would excel as 43 DEs since they already are doing that.  But both players are being doubled on nearly every play and are still getting through the line and being distruptive.  I've seen Watt and Fairley go inside between the tackle and guard and go outside around the tackle sometimes with a TE in help and still get to the QB.  Granted, this is college but of the DL in the draft, these two guys to me are the best fit I've seen for our system. If memory serves, Seymour was a little on the smallish side when we drafted him.  He was a junior and I think only 20.  He quickly put on the weight.  College players are part-time players.  It's a full time job being an NFL player where they will get pro strength and conditioning.  Watt and Fairley are both juniors so I see them where Seymour was coming out. 

Good points Faucet.  I agree they do fit as for as size goes.  My only concern was if the Patriots scheme would suit Fairley and Watts' abilities. You would probably know better than me about how they stack up against the run every game.  They obviously get double teamed on passing downs but how do they hold up when a team tries to run down their throat?  Have you seen Justin Houston from Georgia play?  I haven't seen any Georgia games this year but I've been trying to read up on this guy.  From what I've heard he seems legit.

Sections
Shortcuts