Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    I'm also no on Steve Smith and Randy Moss and Ocho .... but recognize they could be stopgaps. I just want NE to get young ... not old.  Sydney Rice is intriguing .. as is Breaston.... but folks will overpay ... and those folks aren't NE. NE doesn't need Larry fitz ... but they need, need, need to improve on what Tate gave them. That is for sure.
    Posted by zbellino

Tate wasn't drafted to be a #1 WR and was the #3 what is it exactly you want a #3 WR who was basically a rookie to do?

You want to replace Deion with a real #1 I am all for that. That's not a knock on Branch as I think he is very good. Simply he's not a true #1 but more importantly I am always expecting him to be injured at some point in a season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

Stats are for losers and RB especially has no true trends to show any kind of success with looking at stats.

That being said the ONLY interesting stat about Ridley is that his 3C time was the 3rd best of any of the notable RB's in this 2011 draft and 7th best of all notable RB's to come out in the last 6 or 7 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***:
    Stats are for losers and RB especially has no true trends to show any kind of success with looking at stats. That being said the ONLY interesting stat about Ridley is that his 3C time was the 3rd best of any of the notable RB's in this 2011 draft and 7th best of all notable RB's to come out in the last 6 or 7 years.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Another thing I like about Ridley is his ability to produce despite subpar QB play.  Kid can also find the endzone (15 rushing TD's in 2011).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I must have more patience with BB and what he does from coaching for more than 20 years now because I never understand many of the strong reactions as sure things.

The opinions of questioning sure absolutely. Wondering and not knowing yup why not.

Here are some things to think about with regards to the OLB spot.

1) The Pats do their own end of season evaluations. Just because the media and or fans "think" the problem is with the OLB position does NOT mean the Patriots or BB "know" that to be the case. They know what defense calls were made on a given play, who had what responsibility, what the down and distance and situation was, and who or what was ultimately at fault for a failed execution of play success.

2) Cunningham was a rookie and a 2nd round pick so highly doubtful they were looking to replace him.

3) Ninkovich is only 27 and had just his 2nd yr in the Patriots system and had a significant 2nd year increase in production, like you generally want to see from a player in his 2nd year in the system.

Ninkovich was also rated the 2nd best pass risher on the Patriots behind Mike Wright having the best combination of sacks, QB pressures, and QB hits.

When you are getting all excited about anyone, like a brooks reed or sheard, from this years draft think back to when Ninkovich would have been coming out. WHat's the big difference? Ninkovich has the same size generally, had back to back double digit sacks at Purdue and had as good or better speed measureables than just about any of this years OLB class.

So can you hope, wish, and speculate that any of this years crop would be a significant upgrade, yes. Do we know that? No. I believe BB had intentions to take certain guys in certain ranges but others placed more value and they were not there.

4) You have to make a logical guess that the Pats feel comfortable with the DL injury recoveries. If that is the case, even if they do not still address the DL even more when FA starts, that the OLB's will be helped out by a healthier and improved DL. The more damage or occupation of blockers the interior 3 do the more room to operate the "existing" OLB's will have. Add that to another year of experience from your current two starters as well. Football may be the ultimate team/system sport the unit functions completely collectively as a unit and one improvement in one area has the potential to drastically help other areas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

It's been a great thread.  I think I have read most of it over time.  I give the Pats an A- only because I believe they just threw away the last two picks on players who will be long shots to make the team, when Romeus, who could have been redshirted, was still available.  IMHO, Romeus for have provided great value for 2012.  But what do I know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***:
    I must have more patience with BB and what he does from coaching for more than 20 years now because I never understand many of the strong reactions as sure things. The opinions of questioning sure absolutely. Wondering and not knowing yup why not. Here are some things to think about with regards to the OLB spot. 1) The Pats do their own end of season evaluations. Just because the media and or fans "think" the problem is with the OLB position does NOT mean the Patriots or BB "know" that to be the case. They know what defense calls were made on a given play, who had what responsibility, what the down and distance and situation was, and who or what was ultimately at fault for a failed execution of play success. 2) Cunningham was a rookie and a 2nd round pick so highly doubtful they were looking to replace him. 3) Ninkovich is only 27 and had just his 2nd yr in the Patriots system and had a significant 2nd year increase in production, like you generally want to see from a player in his 2nd year in the system. Ninkovich was also rated the 2nd best pass risher on the Patriots behind Mike Wright having the best combination of sacks, QB pressures, and QB hits. When you are getting all excited about anyone, like a brooks reed or sheard, from this years draft think back to when Ninkovich would have been coming out. WHat's the big difference? Ninkovich has the same size generally, had back to back double digit sacks at Purdue and had as good or better speed measureables than just about any of this years OLB class. So can you hope, wish, and speculate that any of this years crop would be a significant upgrade, yes. Do we know that? No. I believe BB had intentions to take certain guys in certain ranges but others placed more value and they were not there. 4) You have to make a logical guess that the Pats feel comfortable with the DL injury recoveries. If that is the case, even if they do not still address the DL even more when FA starts, that the OLB's will be helped out by a healthier and improved DL. The more damage or occupation of blockers the interior 3 do the more room to operate the "existing" OLB's will have. Add that to another year of experience from your current two starters as well. Football may be the ultimate team/system sport the unit functions completely collectively as a unit and one improvement in one area has the potential to drastically help other areas.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Well stated as always Low.  We've been discussing the time it takes to develop an OLB into a sack machine for months.  It isn't generally done overnight or in the first or second year. 

BB went offense where it was a much older group with more uncertainty.  It is exactly what I thought he'd do with no Watt on the board.  With poor secondary play and Bodden's injured past the Dowling pick wasn't a complete surprise but we could have taken Prince at 17 then Carimi at 28 and I think been safer.  We could have then traded 33 away. 

But all in all, BB does what he does.  He led a very young defense and team to an NFL best 14-2 record.  He addressed areas of need and may or may not do some more in free agency.  He has a pair of firsts and seconds for next year.  On paper this team looks better than the 2010 version, barring new injuries.  I see no reason why the 2011 Pats can't go all the way.  Every year we are wining the division (except Cassel's year) and getting into the play-offs.  Hopefully this year we can go to the end. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I must have more patience with BB and what he does from coaching for more than 20 years now because I never understand many of the strong reactions as sure things. The opinions of questioning sure absolutely. Wondering and not knowing yup why not. Here are some things to think about with regards to the OLB spot. 1) The Pats do their own end of season evaluations. Just because the media and or fans "think" the problem is with the OLB position does NOT mean the Patriots or BB "know" that to be the case. They know what defense calls were made on a given play, who had what responsibility, what the down and distance and situation was, and who or what was ultimately at fault for a failed execution of play success. 2) Cunningham was a rookie and a 2nd round pick so highly doubtful they were looking to replace him. 3) Ninkovich is only 27 and had just his 2nd yr in the Patriots system and had a significant 2nd year increase in production, like you generally want to see from a player in his 2nd year in the system. Ninkovich was also rated the 2nd best pass risher on the Patriots behind Mike Wright having the best combination of sacks, QB pressures, and QB hits. When you are getting all excited about anyone, like a brooks reed or sheard, from this years draft think back to when Ninkovich would have been coming out. WHat's the big difference? Ninkovich has the same size generally, had back to back double digit sacks at Purdue and had as good or better speed measureables than just about any of this years OLB class. So can you hope, wish, and speculate that any of this years crop would be a significant upgrade, yes. Do we know that? No. I believe BB had intentions to take certain guys in certain ranges but others placed more value and they were not there. 4) You have to make a logical guess that the Pats feel comfortable with the DL injury recoveries. If that is the case, even if they do not still address the DL even more when FA starts, that the OLB's will be helped out by a healthier and improved DL. The more damage or occupation of blockers the interior 3 do the more room to operate the "existing" OLB's will have. Add that to another year of experience from your current two starters as well. Football may be the ultimate team/system sport the unit functions completely collectively as a unit and one improvement in one area has the potential to drastically help other areas.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Great post Low. It's been the Pats' offense that has been sputtering in the post season. The dinged up defense played well enough to win their playoff game last year. It was the Patriots' offense and special teams that gave the Jets a short field time and time again that allowed them to score 21 of their 28 points.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!*** : Another thing I like about Ridley is his ability to produce despite subpar QB play.  Kid can also find the endzone (15 rushing TD's in 2011).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I like that he was a very productive player while not given a lot of opportunity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

patseng, about "I think the D will improve with people coming back but Solder might take a year to develop and Cannon isn't coming in right away so it might only be a slight improved the O at all this year. To me the team didn't get worse but they only got better if the rookies from last year improve. Which might be asking alot since most rookies see a drop of in production in their second year. Hopefully FA has something big in-store otherwise I don't see us getting out of the 1st round of playoffs again next year" Most rookies see the biggest gains from year 1 to year 2, not the opposite.  Dont know where u heared that they drop, but even BB has said the biggest jump is year 1 year 2.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

You've never heard of the sophomore slump? They make a big jump in knowledge yes but from what I've seen it's trying to take that knowledge and applying it that the numbers tend to dip in that second year. After that they usually drastically increase but the number do tend to dip a bit from their rookie year. Look at Vollmer and Butler for instance both looked really good their rookie year. Heck Butler looked like a solid #2 cb. At the beginning of their 2nd year both had struggles. Vollmer picked it back up as the year went on and became a pro-bowl caliber T half way into the season while Butler only got worse. It's that 2nd year you either see improvement or they get worse. I would say Spikes, Cunningham, and Hernandez are all at the same point Vollmer and Butler were at during their rookie years. McCourty and Gronk should be much improved though. But just looking at that I don't think Hernandez, Spikes, or Cunningham should have trouble getting over that hump.

Just don't expect them to start out and be better or even as equal as they were last year. The reason why there is a slump is because during their rookie year they rely on their college abilities but they usually take on a bigger role with pro technics during their 2nd year so until they adapt and can master these new technics there usually is a dip in production

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

i thought the sophomore slump referred to baseball players and premier league soccer teams. i am pretty sure that it's being misused when referring to NFL or NBA players. in both cases, players perform much better. In baseball and soccer, it comes about generally as a result of scouting pitchers and hitters or the new soccer team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : You've never heard of the sophomore slump? They make a big jump in knowledge yes but from what I've seen it's trying to take that knowledge and applying it that the numbers tend to dip in that second year. After that they usually drastically increase but the number do tend to dip a bit from their rookie year. Look at Vollmer and Butler for instance both looked really good their rookie year. Heck Butler looked like a solid #2 cb. At the beginning of their 2nd year both had struggles. Vollmer picked it back up as the year went on and became a pro-bowl caliber T half way into the season while Butler only got worse. It's that 2nd year you either see improvement or they get worse. I would say Spikes, Cunningham, and Hernandez are all at the same point Vollmer and Butler were at during their rookie years. McCourty and Gronk should be much improved though. But just looking at that I don't think Hernandez, Spikes, or Cunningham should have trouble getting over that hump. Just don't expect them to start out and be better or even as equal as they were last year. The reason why there is a slump is because during their rookie year they rely on their college abilities but they usually take on a bigger role with pro technics during their 2nd year so until they adapt and can master these new technics there usually is a dip in production
    Posted by PatsEng

Of course I have heard of the sophomore slump.  However that usually applies to players that excelled their rookies years.  Someone like DMC or Gronk could experience that.  It will be hard to live up to their rookie years.  It is usually not used with someone who had a decent to good, but not great year like Cunningham.  And although it can happen, doesnt mean everyone gets or experiences it.  League wide, coaches say the biggest jump is year 1 to 2, and I certainly agree. 
    On Butler, I think it was Ds had a chance to watch film and see how to burn him.  On Sea Bass, I think it was the switch to RT, I think he is better at LT, and that adjustment
    caused the initial lag.  But for every slump guy, I can show a jump guy.  Chung was much better year two.  Brace was showing more in year two, not that he was great or anything, but it was better than year 1.  I am pretty confident that Price will show more in year 2.  I can continue if need be. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

i thought the sophomore slump referred to baseball players and premier league soccer teams. i am pretty sure that it's being misused when referring to NFL or NBA players. in both cases, players perform much better. In baseball and soccer, it comes about generally as a result of scouting pitchers and hitters or the new soccer team.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

You see it a lot in all sports. It's during that time they make the major shift from college technics to more pro style technics which, depending on the player, can happen quick or take the full year but it does tend to happen in their 2nd year. You tend to notice it less in the NBA because it's a sport where technics generally don't change much from the college level to the Pro's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Of course I have heard of the sophomore slump.  However that usually applies to players that excelled their rookies years.  Someone like DMC or Gronk could experience that.  It will be hard to live up to their rookie years.  It is usually not used with someone who had a decent to good, but not great year like Cunningham.  And although it can happen, doesnt mean everyone gets or experiences it.  League wide, coaches say the biggest jump is year 1 to 2, and I certainly agree.  On Butler, I think it was Ds had a chance to watch film and see how to burn him.  On Sea Bass, I think it was the switch to RT, I think he is better at LT, and that adjustment caused the initial lag.  But for every slump guy, I can show a jump guy.  Chung was much better year two.  Brace was showing more in year two, not that he was great or anything, but it was better than year 1.  I am pretty confident that Price will show more in year 2.  I can continue if need be. 

Chung, Brace, and Price combined played for less snaps then Butler their rookie years of course they will make a bigger leap with more playing time.  It's hard to say they will be worse when they never had the chance to play to begin with. But name some players that played a fairly high portion of snaps their rookie year that didn't have a slump going into their 2nd year and needed to work out of it. Heck some players take a couple games some take a full year but most players have some type of dip

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Lets see some on our team:
    D Branch 13 gms 7 starts 43 rec 489 yrds
    year 2     15 gms 11 start 57 rec 803 yrds

Bodden 13 gms 1 start 17 tackles 2 pdef 1 int
    year 2   8 gms   1 start 24 tackles 1 ff  less games more tackles, can go either way

Capt Crump 16 gms 12 starts 25 rec 330 yrds 3 td
    year 2          16 gms 9 start    36 rec  455 yrds  5 tds

Ty Warren 16 gms 4 start 33 tackles 1 sac 2 pass def 0 ff
    year 2       16 gms 16 start  48 tackles 3.5 sac 1 pass def 2 ff

R Seymour 13 gms 10 start 44 tackels 3 sac 1 pass def 0 int
    year 2         16 gms 16 start  56 tackles 5.5 sac 2 pass def 1 int

That is just a few that progressed, that also had good playing time as rookies

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I think some skill positions in the NFL do have a sophmore slump. Once film is out on a CB's, WR's or QB's tendencies, teams look to exploit it.  Sometimes it happens ... though generally you are right, but I think most of that has to do with the fact that in the NFL a lot fo skill position guys never see the field their rookie season ... so anything you get is improvement.  Jarius Byrd had nine picks his first season, then only one his next season. Cromartie did the same thing i I recall correctly -- if you count his rookie season as a redshirt.  He looked terrible his third year, and then got better again. 
    Posted by zbellino

QBs seem to do a lot better their second year. That's what I would expect. They are used to the speed of the game and scouting their opponents. They can actually lead instead of getting surprised by something completely new. When I talk with Eagles fans about Kolb, their argument for why they should get a 1st for him is that he is one of the few QBs to have some excellent games just when he started. Few QBs do and if you look back at the current QBs, you'll notice that is true. Byrd is an interesting example. He made a lot of picks his rookie season but if you look closer at his advanced stats, you'll see that he didn't offer much in run support or in coverage. Other than making picks, he was a lousy safety. Teams accounted for him this past year. His responsibilities changed with the new defense. Not only didn't he improve in coverage or run support, he wasn't able to get picks. Maybe we will see things change with another year of experience in that new defense. I don't remember what happened with Cromartie. Looking back at the stats, his play has consistently been at that same level since then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!*** : Cro redshirted. His second season he had 10 picks. The next season he had like two ... but more alarmingly he looked like Butler that season ... that is to say he was getting toasted. A broadcaster even called it a sophomore slump of sorts (though in his third season of being on the roster).  He since bounced back. He doesn't get ten picks ... but he is  a very good CB again. He closed that hole in his game for the most part.  The sophomore slump happens in all sports ... though I think it is rare in any sport ... and always involves a player who exceeded expecations their rookie season, and just like in baseball ... the advance scouts and video guys find a weakness.  I don't know which player on the Pats this started with ... but if Butler bounces back this season ... he would be a case in point of the sophomore slump. Teams found routes they like (a lot) against him .... mostly hitch routes and chair routes or hitch and go's where they catch him peeking.  He seems to have a bad feel for judging by touch what the WR is doing, an it doens't help that teams had some success bullying him at the LOS. They didn't attack him that way his rookie season. Maybe he can fix that hole? Maybe not.  
    Posted by zbellino

Butler has very surprisingly poor coverage skills. I can remeber one play past year when he actually turned to look for the ball. Compare his ball skills to McCourty. Butler is pathetic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

For me most of the picks are a big question mark...

I like the potential of Solder, Vereen, Ras-i and Cannon... i think if they perform well, this team will once again be at the top of the NFL

On Defense i think NE will improve a little with Ty and Bodden back... A little more with the progress of 2nb year players, and a little more with the new guys like Stroud, Ras-i and hopefully an competitive OLB (FA or Trade).

This team doesn´t need a top 10 defense to win it all... i think BB thinks something similar that´s why he drafted Offense in this one. IF the defense can pick up the numbers on 3rd down defense to the middle of the pack and passing defense also to the 16 to 18 range... we will be OK.

Thanks you guys for all your great posts i really enjoy reading you every day.

Your friend from México

AUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Does anyone think BB saw a little Ed Reed in Ras-I? We know he loves Reed and his style of play, could he have seen a bit of Reed in Ras-I, and perhaps has intentions to play Ras-I as FS and CB? 

I have read a few analyst reports on Ras-I and the mention similar attributes to  Reed..."ball hawk", "plays the ball better than most WR's", "fast closing speed", etc, etc.

SOme of us inlcuding myself werer thinking Bodden to FS, but perhaps it's the other way around? Stick him at FS, he can cover the taller TE's better than Chung, freeing Chung up, or could switch off on the slot WR's, or even go out wide...if this kid can stay healthy, he could line him up just about anywhere in the back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Does anyone think BB saw a little Ed Reed in Ras-I? We know he loves Reed and his style of play, could he have seen a bit of Reed in Ras-I, and perhaps has intentions to play Ras-I as FS and CB?  I have read a few analyst reports on Ras-I and the mention similar attributes to  Reed..."ball hawk", "plays the ball better than most WR's", "fast closing speed", etc, etc. SOme of us inlcuding myself werer thinking Bodden to FS, but perhaps it's the other way around? Stick him at FS, he can cover the taller TE's better than Chung, freeing Chung up, or could switch off on the slot WR's, or even go out wide...if this kid can stay healthy, he could line him up just about anywhere in the back.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Could be but the reason I think Bodden is one the experience he has.  He's also turning 30 an age when DBs start looking at that move.  Bodden is probably the guy that makes the quicker transition to FS.

Regardless of the plan they need to make sure they got with Dowling what they think.  I think if there's a pre season you see Bodden at CB taking some snaps at FS to see how dowling comes along.  Dowling is a big CB who can run support same with Bodden, these guys other than age are interchangeable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I dont see that move, Bodden to FS for another year.  Let Dowling learn the pro game first, see how Bodden comes back, then maybe try it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Lets see some on our team: D Branch 13 gms 7 starts 43 rec 489 yrds year 2     15 gms 11 start 57 rec 803 yrds Bodden 13 gms 1 start 17 tackles 2 pdef 1 int year 2   8 gms   1 start 24 tackles 1 ff  less games more tackles, can go either way Capt Crump 16 gms 12 starts 25 rec 330 yrds 3 td year 2          16 gms 9 start    36 rec  455 yrds  5 tds Ty Warren 16 gms 4 start 33 tackles 1 sac 2 pass def 0 ff year 2       16 gms 16 start  48 tackles 3.5 sac 1 pass def 2 ff R Seymour 13 gms 10 start 44 tackels 3 sac 1 pass def 0 int year 2         16 gms 16 start  56 tackles 5.5 sac 2 pass def 1 int That is just a few that progressed, that also had good playing time as rookies

If you noticed on all you pointed out it was 50/50. As with some their playing time increased yet their stats % per start decreased while others their starts decreased while their stats % per start increased. Either way it proves both our arguments that some players see a dip in production while others see an increase

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Does anyone think BB saw a little Ed Reed in Ras-I? We know he loves Reed and his style of play, could he have seen a bit of Reed in Ras-I, and perhaps has intentions to play Ras-I as FS and CB?  I have read a few analyst reports on Ras-I and the mention similar attributes to  Reed..."ball hawk", "plays the ball better than most WR's", "fast closing speed", etc, etc. SOme of us inlcuding myself werer thinking Bodden to FS, but perhaps it's the other way around? Stick him at FS, he can cover the taller TE's better than Chung, freeing Chung up, or could switch off on the slot WR's, or even go out wide...if this kid can stay healthy, he could line him up just about anywhere in the back.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Actually I see more McCourty in Ras then Reed. McCourty and Ras had similar playing styles in college and both can translate to either slot or outside coverage.

Could he actually be thinking running a nickel base defense and essentially eliminating the FS from the base D? He could run 3 CB's with Bodden on the inside and McCourty and Ras on the outside and Chung lining 5-10yrds off the box.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!*** : Actually I see more McCourty in Ras then Reed. McCourty and Ras had similar playing styles in college and both can translate to either slot or outside coverage. Could he actually be thinking running a nickel base defense and essentially eliminating the FS from the base D? He could run 3 CB's with Bodden on the inside and McCourty and Ras on the outside and Chung lining 5-10yrds off the box.
    Posted by PatsEng

I'm starting to think there is no such thing these days as a "base defense". on the other hand, I don't know how you draft if you don't have one, but based on what I saw last year, it looks like we are 50/50, 40/60...3-4 and nickel/dime/etc...

Who's your nickel in the above?...you have McD, Ras, Bodden, Chung...Is Meriweather the 5th?..or are you saying you have 3 CB's, 1 Safety with the above and eliminate the need for Meriweather/Sanders, etc?....I kind of like this because you have 4 guys on the field that can cover all the time at a high level, with Chung probably being the weakest coverage guy out of the group, and really he's not all that bad, but I think his strength is playing the run, and occasionally safety blizting. We should be able to do a lot more of this if we don't require safety help with our CB's. Perhaps that is BB's philosophy here?..I'm reaching..just want to see more pressure as does everyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Roster breakdown, first there's no way you can put Mallet, Smith, Carter and Williams on the practice squad none of them will clear waivers.  I know no one saw Carter as the answer but doing some research on him learned plenty of teams brought him in for workouts and had a high interest on the LB Atl, TB and St Louis wanted this guy.  Out of the 4 I think Williams has the best chance to clear waivers but teams (like SD Chargers) are looking to upgrade their STs.  Williams is a guy who they could look to claim, 4.47 40 5'11" 200lbs.

I think you have to, if they pan out, put those guys on the final roster. 

OFFENSE 24 Players
    3QBBradyHoyerMallett (3rd Rnd)
    4RBBJGEVereen (2nd Rnd) 
    WoodyRidley (3rd Rnd) 
    2SlotWelkerEdelman 
    1WRBranch  
    2LOTSolder (2nd Rnd)Maneri 
    1LGMankins   
    2CKoppenAustin 
    2ROGCannon (5th Rnd)Connolly 
    2ROTVollmerOjinnaka 
    4TEGronkCrumpler 
    TEHernadesSmith (5th Rnd) 
    2WRPriceTate 

DEFENSE 26 Players
    2LDE T WarrenDeadrick 
    2NTWilforkBrace 
    3RDEStroudWrightRichard
    2OLBMooreNink 
    2ILBMayoGuyton 
    2ILBSpikesFletcher 
    3OLBCunninghamTBCCarter (6th Rnd)
    3LCBMcCourtyArringtonButler
    2RCBBoddenDowling (2nd Rnd) 
    2SSChungBarrett 
    2FSPageSanders 

ST 3 Players
    3Kicker-Ghost  Punter-Mesko  LS-Katula?

Couldn't fit williams, Merri is on his last year of his contract.  I can see him traded this season, he should bring a 2nd rndr?  

LWR Slot LOTLOGOCROGROTTE RWR
    Branch WW SolderMankinsKoppenCannonVollmerGronk Price
          QB     
          Brady     

RB     
          BJGE     

34 Base

LCB    LDENTRDE   RCB
    DM   LOLBWarrenVWStroudROLB  Bodden
        Moore   Cunnin.   
         LMLB RMLB    
         Spikes Mayo    

SS FS    
         Chung Page    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!*** : I'm starting to think there is no such thing these days as a "base defense". on the other hand, I don't know how you draft if you don't have one, but based on what I saw last year, it looks like we are 50/50, 40/60...3-4 and nickel/dime/etc... Who's your nickel in the above?...you have McD, Ras, Bodden, Chung...Is Meriweather the 5th?..or are you saying you have 3 CB's, 1 Safety with the above and eliminate the need for Meriweather/Sanders, etc?....I kind of like this because you have 4 guys on the field that can cover all the time at a high level, with Chung probably being the weakest coverage guy out of the group, and really he's not all that bad, but I think his strength is playing the run, and occasionally safety blizting. We should be able to do a lot more of this if we don't require safety help with our CB's. Perhaps that is BB's philosophy here?..I'm reaching..just want to see more pressure as does everyone.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I know I'm completely thinking outside the box on this one but eliminate the FS position completely in the new nickel. Basically you have 3 CB's in Ras, McCourty, and Butler then you have 2 box hybrid players namely Chung and Guyton. Chung becomes a pure S playing a hybrid of FS/SS and Guyton becomes the 5th cover as a LB/SS hybrid. It essentially elements Sanders and Meriweather while limiting Spikes to running downs (something he excels at). I know seems weird but that would turn the team to a 3-3.5-4.5 with Mayo anchoring the center, Cunningham and Nin/TBC on the outside, Guyton playing deep box, Chung stacked 5-10yrds behind Guyton, Bodden and McCourty set back 5-10 yards on outside coverage with Ras playing press.

You have to admit it's an interesting thought

Sections
Shortcuts