2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Is Bodden who's never played FS an upgrade over Meriweather right now? You'd be hard pressed to say he definitely is. Is an untested rookie an upgrade over a pro-bowl CB? I can't say that our secondary is any better then it was last year. You are just moving a couple known pieces and moving in a couple unknown with the possibility they might slightly upgrade. On top of that we still don't know how Warren is going to come back from his knee injury and we still have JAGs at LDE and LOLB
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I think he will be, Bodden is a very good tackler.  He's very good at reading plays and tracking the ball.  He's got the size to match up against TEs.  He turns 30 so maybe not this year, give dowling a year to develop at CB use him in nickel and rotate outside.  Merri has one year left on the contract, he wont be back. 

I've never been a Merri fan, he made it to 2 pro bowls but did he really belong there?  IMO Bodden immediately upgrades that spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I think he will be, Bodden is a very good tackler.  He's very good at reading plays and tracking the ball.  He's got the size to match up against TEs.  He turns 30 so maybe not this year, give dowling a year to develop at CB use him in nickel and rotate outside.  Merri has one year left on the contract, he wont be back.  I've never been a Merri fan, he made it to 2 pro bowls but did he really belong there?  IMO Bodden immediately upgrades that spot.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

But then if you move Bodden this year you are putting an untested rookie that you admit could take a couple years to develop into a starting CB role. Is Bodden a big enough upgrade at FS to make up for basically asking McCourty to cover both sides of the field until either Butler or Ras develops?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : But then if you move Bodden this year you are putting an untested rookie that you admit could take a couple years to develop into a starting CB role. Is Bodden a big enough upgrade at FS to make up for basically asking McCourty to cover both sides of the field until either Butler or Ras develops?

By "big enough" you mean size he's 6'1" 200lbs, Merri 5'11 200lbs.  It depends what they see from Dowling,Arrington,Butler but even if this season they do not do it in 2012 I think once Merri's contract is done Bodden will be turning 31.  He can extend his career by the move. 

Just a thought, but wouldn't be something if somehow Namdie landed in NE?  NA DM Bodden FS Chung SS for the 3rd to 5th CB spot let Dowling, Arrington and Butler, Wilhite compete.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : By "big enough" you mean size he's 6'1" 200lbs, Merri 5'11 200lbs.  It depends what they see from Dowling,Arrington,Butler but even if this season they do not do it in 2012 I think once Merri's contract is done Bodden will be turning 31.  He can extend his career by the move.  Just a thought, but wouldn't be something if somehow Namdie landed in NE?  NA DM Bodden FS Chung SS for the 3rd to 5th CB spot let Dowling, Arrington and Butler, Wilhite compete.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

By big enough I mean make enough of an impact where you can clearly say it was the right move not his size. As for Namdie it's a sad day when you wish to have to pay a ransom for a CB so that your #33 pick will compete for a 3rd cb spot. Has it really come down to spending high picks to add depth on the 3rd and 4th spots on the roster?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : By big enough I mean make enough of an impact where you can clearly say it was the right move not his size. As for Namdie it's a sad day when you wish to have to pay a ransom for a CB so that your #33 pick will compete for a 3rd cb spot. Has it really come down to spending high picks to add depth on the 3rd and 4th spots on the roster?

lol NA is top 2 CB in league, Dowling has starting potential but my point was how good the DB group would be not that Dowling is not a starter.

For Bodden, where he upgrades is tackling, reading plays, playing his role not taking team mates out.

I'll even say this, I call uncle all and offer him Merri for Trevor Scott and a 4th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

You guys that are declaring this a terrible draft need to take a deep breath and look at the current roster.  The glaring holes to me are OL and RB.  RB has definitaly been addressed.  I've seen Vereen quite a bit, living in WA, and we won't be disapointed in this kid.  Don't know a lot about Ridley, except that he is a power back who should be an asset in short yardage.  Solder is a terrific LT prospect, and NE has the best OL coach in football that will coach him up right.  Dowling is a tremendous athlete, and will allow the aging Bodden to transition to FS, or possibly play there himself.  Our current roster is filled with tons of youth on our defensive front 7.  I know that our pass rush needs to improve, but you all have to realize that most great NFL pass rushers take several years to develop.  NE's lack of attention to our front 7 tells me that BB likes what he has in guys like Cunningham, Fletcher, Spikes, Deaderick, Pryor, Moore, etc...  Remember, every OLB or DE that we draft this year probably cuts one of our current young players.  Don't be so quick to judge these guys after just 1 or 2 seasons.  Most of them should make a noticable improvment next season (if there is one...)  Look for NE to go with an interior O-lineman today, and also a OLB prospect to come in and compete with Tully.  Still lots of good talent available at both of these positions and 4 more Pats picks to go!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]  Swap Moffitt for Ridley and I'd feel a lot better about this draft. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

My guess is the Pats feel whatever guards that were still available were no better than what they currently have on the roster.  It seems other teams really liked the linemen we cut last year (Welch, etc)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]You guys that are declaring this a terrible draft need to take a deep breath and look at the current roster.  The glaring holes to me are OL and RB.  RB has definitaly been addressed.  I've seen Vereen quite a bit, living in WA, and we won't be disapointed in this kid.  Don't know a lot about Ridley, except that he is a power back who should be an asset in short yardage.  Solder is a terrific LT prospect, and NE has the best OL coach in football that will coach him up right.  Dowling is a tremendous athlete, and will allow the aging Bodden to transition to FS, or possibly play there himself.  Our current roster is filled with tons of youth on our defensive front 7.  I know that our pass rush needs to improve, but you all have to realize that most great NFL pass rushers take several years to develop.  NE's lack of attention to our front 7 tells me that BB likes what he has in guys like Cunningham, Fletcher, Spikes, Deaderick, Pryor, Moore, etc...  Remember, every OLB or DE that we draft this year probably cuts one of our current young players.  Don't be so quick to judge these guys after just 1 or 2 seasons.  Most of them should make a noticable improvment next season (if there is one...)  Look for NE to go with an interior O-lineman today, and also a OLB prospect to come in and compete with Tully.  Still lots of good talent available at both of these positions and 4 more Pats picks to go!
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]Good post...every draft is a window into BB's mind...he got what he wanted to fill the needs that he had...he's runnin' the ship...fans get on deck and enjoy the view....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Agree that some need were addressed...OL..DB,,(I like both)..RB's i have to take BB on his judgement dont know much about Vareen,,Ridley is a togh player to tackle..watched him and he will push the pile.. and the pats really havent had a running game since Dillon..Mallett will be interesting to watch..is he the replacement??  will find out over next 2 years...If he stays maybe yes..or he wont be there.(remember Oconnell)

C Casserly said that after round 1..the draft is so weak thats is a train wreck..Time will tell....BUt Some have said next year its a stronger year to draft...

But i agree..I sure hope fletcher and Moore can replace Nink and TBC because pass ruch is needed bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cascadian. Show cascadian's posts

A Patriot Fan’s Prayer

It is not possible to understand Bill’s plan for us. We have not the understanding or vision for it. Rather, let us more fruitfully spend our time in contemplation of the beauty of that which he has put forth in his Creation. Then, in our awe and pleasure, we may be lifted into a state of Grace from which all shall be sufficient and fulfilling, every Sunday, without end.

Amen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]all five players the Pats picked were team captains.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Is that true?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of activity today.  What I didn't like: * I was pretty bummed to see them pass on Brooks Reed and Randall Cobb.  Heck, I'm not the biggest Justin Houston guy out there, but he too could've been worth a shot at 60. * Ridley looks like the potential big power back that they've been looking for, but Rd 3 seems high for him. What I liked: * Ras-I gives them an element of size not currently seen in their CB crop.  He has a good combo of size, speed, quicks, athleticism and physicality and looks like smart, high character kid. * Vereen is a kid that I've been particularly high on; strong, smart, good character, decent size, good speed, toughness and ability to catch the football, also looks to be adept in pass-pro.  Picking up a 2012 2nd rounder. On the fence: Mallett is a kid that makes a ton of sense physically.  Great size and arm strength, but he comes with his fair share of red flags.  A 1st Rd talent in the 3rd, is a great value pick, hopefully he can capitalize on the opportunity he's been given (the chance to learn under an all-time great for one of the best organizations in the NFL). What I hope to see tomorrow: The player I most want to see land in Foxboro is Mark Herzlich, that would make my Saturday. As for the overall board, assuming RB and QB are no longer targets, below are players that I'd love to see BB select on Day 3: Herzlich Romeus Elmore Skrine Carmicheal Beal Acho Sands Sanzenbacher Kerley Maehl Jeron Johnson Tim Barnes Andrew Jackson Clint Boling Chris Carter Mike Person Jordan Cameron Ahmad Black
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

The word is BB wanted him but the trade with Oakland was already known at the time of the pick and was worried he might not be available in the 5th round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]A Patriot Fan’s Prayer   It is not possible to understand Bill’s plan for us. We have not the understanding or vision for it. Rather, let us more fruitfully spend our time in contemplation of the beauty of that which he has put forth in his Creation. Then, in our awe and pleasure, we may be lifted into a state of Grace from which all shall be sufficient and fulfilling, every Sunday, without end. Amen.
    Posted by cascadian[/QUOTE]...contemplation,vision, beauty, awe, pleasure, and grace are good.....go Pats....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]A Patriot Fan’s Prayer   It is not possible to understand Bill’s plan for us. We have not the understanding or vision for it. Rather, let us more fruitfully spend our time in contemplation of the beauty of that which he has put forth in his Creation. Then, in our awe and pleasure, we may be lifted into a state of Grace from which all shall be sufficient and fulfilling, every Sunday, without end. Amen.
    Posted by cascadian[/QUOTE]

Amen

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Is that true?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    Yes. All 5 were team captains.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Not much time to work on new things last night or today but a few initial thoughts on Pats draft....

1) Pats must feel good about injuries of Ty Warren, Mike Wright, Myron Pryor, and Ron Brace

2) Pats are feeling pretty confident in their current receiving core

3) Pats have a high likely hood of moving on from running backs Kevin Faulk, Fred Taylor, AND Sammy Morris

4) Fans are like Parents who have children in sports, they fall in love with a prospect and wonder why they weren't chosen higher or at all

5) Could the Mallet 6 have relevance someday?

6) All 5 Patriot picks were again team captains contiuing to build a strong locker room

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Posted by cascadian[/QUOTE]
    amen

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Additional thoughts

Would you rather have the Pats/Colts approach - franchise QB surrounded by good players - or the Ravens/Jets approach - defensive stars with adequate QB.  The Pats/Colts are consistant devisions champions and frequent SB participants (6 SB's since 2000).  The Ravens/Jets are consistant devision runner-ups and infrequent SB participants (Once since 2000).  Yes, occassionally their defensive "stars" beat us but the overall record would say that the Pats and Colts are doing the right thing.  The Mallet pick is consistent with our current approach.  Franchise QB's make good coaches and teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I think fans should be extaordinarily pleased by this draft..everyone fixated on the pass rush and wanted answers to fix that....YOU GOT THE ANSWERS...the fix is already on the roster...the talent is already there...they will learn the system, and then execute....enjoy the ride..... and spend a little less time trying to tell Intel how to build a better processor...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Pats did better IMO than our AFC rivals.  Let's break it down.  I'm starting to feel better about our draft.  Still, I would swap Ridley for Moffitt if I could.

New England Patriots

Nate Solder- 6-8, 319, 4.96.  Has to gain strength and improve on playing lower but has the size/quickness BB desires in his OTs.  Solder has a very high ceiling and could end up being better than Light in a year or two.  If the Pats use the savings of not signing Light to sign Mankins, this could end up being a very smart selection and was without a doubt at our biggest position of need.
    CB Ras-I Dowling - 6-1, 198, 4.40.  Would be a sure 1st round pick if not hurt most of the season.  Can play on an island and is not afraid to support the run.
    RB Shane Vereen- 5-10, 210, 4.49.  His 31 reps was easily the most of all draftable RBs.  Vereen has a nice blend of quickness, power and catching ability which makes him a solid every down back.  Faster than BJGE and with much better hands makes him a dual threat and nice compliment to both BJGE and Woodhead should one go down or need a breather.
    RB Stevan Ridley - 5-11, 230, 4.65.  Powerful physical runner who should excel in short yardage situation, an area of weakness last year.
    QB Ryan Mallett- 6-7, 253, 5.37.  Consensus most NFL ready QB in the draft.  Has a very strong arm and can make all the throws.  Comes from pro style offense.  Is an absolute steal in the 3rd round given his talent.  Has some character issues and needs a strong locker room.  If he matures as a person, Mallett could take over for Brady one day or become nice trade bait.

Summary  The Patriots drafted 5 players in the first 3 rounds, two more than any of their AFC East rivals, 3 more than the hated Jets.  In the process, the Pats picked up an extra pick in each of the first 2 rounds next year and still have 4 more picks to make this year.  The only major player potentially not returning from 2010 is Matt Light.  Nate Solder has the potential to be better than Light in time and has Crumpler to help him out for a year if thrust into starting duties right away.  Logan Mankins is tagged and would be a fool not to play out the season for $11MM.  The Pats added a first round talented big corner who can play on an island and support the run game.  The Pats struggled in the secondary and in nickel sets with Bodden, McCourty, Dowling, Meriweather and Chung should be much more formidable.

Gone will be Faulk, Taylor and Morris replaced by a solid all purpose back and a short yard, physical runner.  The Pats added a first round caliber QB in the 3rd round capable of leading an NFL team on Day 1 if needed.  The Pats have done nothing to improve the front 7 defensively but they signed Marcus Stroud and are getting Ty Warran back.  Other than Mallett (unless Brady goes down) I can see each of these picks contributing next year.  The 14-2 Patriots have clearly improved thus far.

New York Jets

DE Muhammad Wilkerson - 6-4, 319, 4.96.  Big athletic prototypical 5 technique.  Played and excelled against mostly weak competition. 
    NT Kenrick Ellis - 6-5, 346, 5.19.  Also played against inferior competition but has the size you want to stuff the run in the middle of a 34 defense.

Summary  The Jets drafted a pair of DL from small programs with little experience against elite competition.  However, both kids are very big and athletic with high ceilings.  But, the Jets have a lot of questions along their front 7.  Vernon Gholston, Jason Taylor, and Kris Jenkins have been released.  Shaun Ellis is entering the final year of his contract so I think at best the Jets held serve on the DL but lost ground at LB.  The Jets also lost Damien Woody and have to deal with potential free agency for Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Antonio Cromartie.  David Harris has been designated their franchise player.  I don't see a lot of improvement here over last year and there's a chance if the Jets don't retain their receivers and Cromartie that they could regress.

Maimi Dolphins

C/G Mike Pouncey - 6-5, 303, 5.12.  This was an outstanding selection for the Fins.  Pouncey will help anchor the OL providing more time for whomever takes the snaps next year and he is nasty in the run game.
    RB Daniel Thomas - 6-0, 230, 4.62.  Thomas is a big powerful and productive runner but with the likely loss of Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown I don't think the Dolphins run game will be much improved even with the addition of Thomas and Pouncey.
    WR Edmund Gates - 6-0, 189, 4.30.  Big fast WR.  Nice pick.

Summary  The Dolphins selection of Pouncey was excellent given their needs.  The Thomas pick will help with the likely loss of their premier runners.  Gates can blow the top off a secondary.  Good thing we took Dowling.  But the Dolphins have done nothing so far to address their most glaring need, a franchise QB.

Buffalo Bills

DT Marcell Dareus- 6-3, 319, 4.93.  The undisputed top DL in the draft will dramatically help a horrible run defense (dead last) and help get pressure on opposing QBs.  An excellent pick!
    CB/S Aaron Williams - 6-0, 204, 4.55.  Most likely will convert to safety.  This selection will provide depth to an already solid secondary (3rd).
    LB Kelvin Sheppard - 6-2, 250, 4.70.  Considered a reach by many, Sheppard was likely drafted to help stop the run.

Summary  The Bills selection of three defensive players, one at each level, is a clear move to try to improve on their 24th ranked defense.  However, the Bills have done nothing thus far to improve on a pretty poor offense which ranked 25th last year, 28th in points scored.  However, the Bills will be tougher to move the ball on next year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The HUGE silver lining ... although I wasn't a Ras-I fan, I am now ... because he is a Patriot. 

What is it? The chances he isn't better than Arrington, Butler et al who are not name D McCourty are incredibly slim. Incredibly. 

Looks like NE wants to play money ball against the spread instead of swinging for the fences.... load up the box with 300 lbers, load the backfield with cover talent DMC, Bodden, Dowling, make the opposition earn every yard. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Livesofdaniellesteel. Show Livesofdaniellesteel's posts

C'mon. Bottom line - Pats have to go through the Jets to win the AFC. Our defense didn't lose that game folks. Our offense did. They knew the Pats couldn't run on their defense and they knew they could pressure Brady. So the Pats -- armed with the usual array of crummy late first round picks (Really, after the top six, it's a crap shoot folks, look at every draft before this), Bill goes out and tries to find the best blue chip NFL player everyone missed on, or is afraid of, or got hurt and their stock dropped. Last year Hernandez was the trouble maker, remember? Gronk was the guy coming off the injury that no one wanted to take a chance on. He got the two best young tight ends in the draft! Now he took two running backs! Bill has borrowed something from the Steelers here - he needs a running game to beat the Jets. Randy Moss circa 2007 ain't walkin' through that door. Vereen -- I saw him play in person against Stanford and USC -- is a beast with brains. New England will love him. A between the tackles runner with great hands. I don't know anything about Ridley but he's big like Adrian Peterson. I'm glad Bill beefed up the running corps and is remaking the over-rated offensive line. Mallet? Hmmm, a first round talent that drops because he smoked a little pot. Gimmee a break. This is football folks. No boy scouts need apply. But there is no risk here. Final word on the pass rush. Ty Warren returns next season. And I ask, who in the draft, where the Pats were drafting, will start over him? In the end, defense wise, our DBs needed more help. Butler was abused again and again and may have to be replaced, or marginalized. I know this - if one of these new running backs hit like our tight ends did this year, the Pats will win the Super Bowl.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I for one am not surprised by our going mostly offense with our first 5 picks.  I would have preferred to have landed a stud C/OG by now and waited on a big RB until later but I was pretty vocal that I didn't think we'd do much with the front 7 of the D.  Our young D will improve with another year of experience as they started to show late in the season.  Getting Bodden and Warren back and the addition of Dowling should really help us become a top half ranked defense next year.

Looking ahead for today I could see us targeting the below positions/players.

Center

Kristofer O'Dowd
    Brandon Fusco
    Tim Barnes

Guard

Stephen Schilling
    Clint Boling
    Andrew Jackson
    Keith Williams
    Mike Person
    Caleb Schlauderaff

Wide Receiver

Greg Salas
    Tandon Doss
    Danarius Moore
    Niles Paul
    Jeremy Kerley
    Terrence Toliver
    Ronald Johnson
    Dane Sanzenbacher
    Ricardo Lockette
    Jeff Maehl

Outside LB

KJ Wright
    Mark Herzlich
    Markell Carter
    Pierre Allen
    Greg Romeus
    Ugo Chinasa
    Ricky Elmore
    Markus White

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Ryan Mallett's first call was to Aaron Hernandez.