2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Problem is the learning disability... says it took him 3 months to learn their college play book, while others took 2 weeks. imagine how hard it would be to learn an NFL play book which is as thick as an encyclopedia.
    Posted by bkoo72

That also says he works very hard. i'm sure he'll get help here, too, with the vets and staff. Maybe he doesn't contribute right away but he does eventually.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Pats on the clock.  Romeus is the best value

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Lee Smith, TE

Yup. A Tight End!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Beal or Carter, please.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Crumpler's replacement, 6'6" 270 some say best blocking TE in the draft.  Add 30lbs on him he can play OT.

PS let him learn from Crumpler and take over in 2012, I think.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Is it just me or does this entire draft seem to be all about the running game?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I guess where at the point where we are looking for practice squad players who might develop into something for 2012.  Lee Smith is a big blocking TE with little speed but can catch when given a chance.  He obviously is being thought of as Crumpler's replacement after 2011. 

Signing off for now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Is it just me or does this entire draft seem to be all about the running game?
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Yes, looks that way.  Well that won a few SBs, not a bad thing.  Teams around the league are building their rosters to protect the pass, smaller quicker D players.  BB looks like is going big and nasty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Problem is the Pats don't have a roster spot for him - unless they cut Crumpler (is BB upset that he dropped that pass????).  Hope he makes it to the practice squad or suffers an "injury" during camp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Looks like B is definitely bring smash mouth football to the Patriots. Solder? Huge. Cannon? Huge. Lee Smith? Huge? That's about 950 pounds of mass with an average height of 6'5". I like.

There's going to be some huge gaps for this arsenal of RB's to get some serious yardage and BB is using mammoth players to open them up.

I for one love it. 

Looks like we get an experienced pass rusher in FA. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

you can carry 4 TEs on your roster.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Just thought of this too:

Solder was once a TE.

Lee Smith is a guy some coaches think can gain 30 pounds and be a OL. 

Interesting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Like the pick as Crumps future replacement.  Now can we please grab Romeus and Herzlich!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Just thought of this too: Solder was once a TE. Lee Smith is a guy some coaches think can gain 30 pounds and be a OL.  Interesting.
    Posted by mrbungle

Maneri is one like that, too. I think the Pats though will use him at TE. Smith is a blocker, but he did have 38 catches last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Just thought of this too: Solder was once a TE. Lee Smith is a guy some coaches think can gain 30 pounds and be a OL.  Interesting.
    Posted by mrbungle

Don't forget Mareni, also a converted TE who spent last season developing.  6'7 300lbs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

LT: Solder
    LG: Mankins
    C: Koppen or Connolly
    RG: Cannon
    RT: Vollmer

That's a huge, physically imposing line.

Put Lee and Gronk next to them ... wow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Picking Herzlich would set a trend for this draft.
    One recovering from cancer
    One to be treated for cancer in Cannon
    One potential cancer in Ryan

Just trying to eb funny folks. Sorry if it was not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

A lot of the guys here who were clamouring for De's or OLB's are disappointed! Anyone who has watched the Patriots during BB's stay must realize that he always works the draft too protect the future of the franchise. I would love to see them draft or sign Herzelich as a UDFA. I don't know if Romeus has been selected as of yet and they still have two picks remaining.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Sports, both are still there and I would love this draft if we took both of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

A lot of the guys here who were clamouring for De's or OLB's are disappointed! Anyone who has watched the Patriots during BB's stay must realize that he always works the draft too protect the future of the franchise. I would love to see them draft or sign Herzelich as a UDFA. I don't know if Romeus has been selected as of yet and they still have two picks remaining.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Absolutely. Plenty of time left. Heck, there's only been 1 OLB taken today that I saw as a fit, Sam Acho at the beginning of the fourth round.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I'm hoping this next pick is Romeus. Assuming the Eagles don't pick him he'll be there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

mcelroys gf is hot!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't see any OLB talent left. Nothing that isn't a longshot. The good prospects left the board a while back ... so that ended. 

I really hope none of these kids work out, but like years past a couple of them that NE passed on will be bigtime players.

It doesn't mean NE's draft picks will be bad, but it is disconcerting to see how poorly relative to the fold (SD, GB, PITT, et al) this team scouts/sees OLB talent, especially when it's a 34 defense. 

That said, I actually like the players they took, and think Ridley, Solder and Cannon in particular can be difference makers sooner rather than later ... health concerns for Cannon barred, of course. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Exactly. Markell Carter. Jeepers. He will be the savior. The skinny kid from central arkansas. Right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Looks like Markell Carter is a pure pass-rushing prospect. Far too small to play OLB in Belichick's 3-4. The scouting report I saw seemed to like him a lot as a pass-rusher:

"Good athlete... Very good speed... Explosive... Solid pass rusher... Good initial burst... Good bend on the corner... Lanky... Long arms... Active hands... Solid hand technique... Will affect passing lanes when he cannot reach the quarterback... Good balance and body control... Makes plays in the backfield... Good closing speed... Solid lateral mobility... Makes plays down the line of scrimmage... Locates the ball quickly... Tackles well... Plays low... Solid drops in coverage... Loose hips... Redirects and recovers well when he out-runs the play... Team leader... Aggressive... Plays smart... Durable, has not missed a game in two seasons... In the same mold as former Central Arkansas defensive ends Jacob Ford (Titans) and Larry Hart (Jaguars)."

Sections
Shortcuts