2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

Some thoughts on this years draft which was unique because of the non-CBA.

1. Some picks were made because some wink-wink -nudge -nudge agreements were made ( philly, Oakland?). NOT FORMAL because they suposedly cant do that...but just maybe  mallett and  one of the RBs will be going some where in a trade .. WHEN they are legal!
    2. RasI in the second ... Samuel wasnt a starter in year 1 ..I believe he was the nickel cover and evolved into a pro- bowler CB. He was also pretty good in that role .. SB #2team  and maybe #3 and of course after that.
    3. No game break WRs  .. i think we have that guy  Aaron Hernandez ( whats the diff between a WR and when they go to the 2 TEs?  doesnt one usually spread out?)and thus the pick of Lee Smith..
    4. Cannon with the medical concerns.  if he can play .. what a steal!  but moreover , with his condition he can go PUP or IR and wont have to clear waivers for practice squad and would be good to go in 2012

I could be all wet ..usually am when trying to predict/ figure out the draft . But all in all ,I like what BB has done. The Pats could have the most dynamic balanced offense in the NFL in 2011. And I think in the second half our D was good enough to go 7-1. Was anyone better? The loss to the Jets in the playoffs wasn't a defense shortcoming.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

My Top UDFAs

QB: Pat Devlin, Taylor Potts, Adam Weber, Scott Tolzien
    RB: Derrick Locke, Noel Devine, Mario Fannin
    FB: Henry Hynoski, Preston Dial
    WR: Terrence Toliver, Dane Sanzebacher, Darvin Adams, Jeff Maehl, Ricardo Lockette
    TE: Andre Smith, Schuylar Oordt
    OG: Zach Hurd, Justin Boren
    C: Kris O’Dowd, Tim Barnes, Zane Taylor
    DL: Ian Williams, Brandon Bair, Cedric Thornton, Martin Parker, Anthony Gray, Colby Whitlock
    OLB: Pierre Allen, Ugo Chinasa, Thomas Keiser, Ryan Winterswyk, Clay Nurse
    LB: Josh Bynes, Mark Herzlich, Mario Harvey
    CB: Ryan Jones, Kendric Burney
    S: DeAndre McDaniel, Deunta Williams, Jarrard Tarrant, Jeron Johnson, Joe Lefeged

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Our Favorite UDFA types out there (some might have been drafted even, not sure)

DE
    Ricky Lumpkin
    Corbin Bryant

OT
    Will Yeatman
    David Mims

C
    Tim Barnes
    Jake Kirkpatrick

WR
    Dane Sanzenbacher
    Ricardo Lockette
    Jeff Maehl
    Fred Rouse

RB
    Derrick Locke

TE
    Andre Smith
    Chris Blohm

OLB
    Ugo Chinasa
    Thomas Keiser
    Ryan Winterswyk
    Adrian Moten
    Steven Friday

ILB
    Mark Herzlich
    Jeff Tarpinian
    Marc Schiechl
    Michael Lockley

S
    Joe Lefeged
    Jeron Johnson

QB
    Mike Coughlin

If any of those guys got drafted give a shout...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

As of this post, the total # of posts on this thread stands a 7365.  Sort of indicative of the passion for the draft amongst BDC posters as I translate 7365 into (24)-7 365 ;).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Didn't have Cannon on my top 75 options, mainly due to his size (they generally take smaller, quicker OG's to fit their zone scheme), but that's some pretty damn good value in Rd 5 (looked like a Rd 2 kid, prior to cancer diagnosis).  He's another mountain of an OL that can flat out get after it up front and they must feel comfortable with his overall movement ability as it relates to their scheme.  Assuming he makes a recovery from NHL, they've really upgraded their talent up front.  Now it's time to get get things done with Mankins (well, get things done once they legally can).

Concerns over Herzlich's ability to regain his pre-cancer ability must be really high for him to go undrafted.  I maintain hope that he'll land in Foxboro at some point during the URFA process (once they're able to sign).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    As of this post, the total # of posts on this thread stands a 7365.  Sort of indicative of the passion for the draft amongst BDC posters as I translate 7365 into (24)-7 365 ;).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07
    The draft is far more compelling than the actual games because you can check your own skills of evaluating players and the teams needs,I feel pretty good about my abilities to project the needs even if I don't get the players name right,I said they would take an Olineman (Pouncey was my choice but he was already gone)and I have no complaints about Solder being the guy. Dowling was a surprise but a very good pick with his experience in playing the 3-4 D at Groh University. with Morris,Taylor and possibly Faulk leaving they needed an infusion of young RB's and both Vereen and Ridley were productive backs at their schools.The only player I wished they had selected and didn't was Cobb. BB best two picks were Cannon and Mallett,this was a grade A draft because he also gained two top picks in the 2012 draft...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Didn't have Cannon on my top 75 options, mainly due to his size (they generally take smaller, quicker OG's to fit their zone scheme), but that's some pretty damn good value in Rd 5 (looked like a Rd 2 kid, prior to cancer diagnosis).  He's another mountain of an OL that can flat out get after it up front and they must feel comfortable with his overall movement ability as it relates to their scheme.  Assuming he makes a recovery from NHL, they've really upgraded their talent up front.  Now it's time to get get things done with Mankins (well, get things done once they legally can). Concerns over Herzlich's ability to regain his pre-cancer ability must be really high for him to go undrafted.  I maintain hope that he'll land in Foxboro at some point during the URFA process (once they're able to sign).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I didn't either ...  he looks like a road grader .... not someone BB tends to pick, grab off waivers, trade for, or keep on the roster. Mankins is the closest thing. But then, given how long and massive Vollmer and Solder are ... maybe this signals a shift. 

Grab two TEs and Crump ... then Lee. Jettison some WRs. Add Vereen and power runner Ridley. Ne wants to sit on the ball and let Tom pick his spots. Maybe?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Some closing thoughts.  The last three picks are practice squad guys, although there is a chance Lee Smith beats out Crumpler and Crumpler gets cut.  I had to look up the final 2 picks, never heard of them.  We did our usual, drafted 9 players while obtaining two high picks next year.  Our 9 picks matches the most of all AFC favorites.  We also had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds tied with SD.  We had a big need a RB and hit that position twice early on like we did at TE last year.  We needed an OT and filled that need first then came back later with a monster RT who will probably kick inside but can play RT if needed.

This draft was different with free agency coming later.  We can now go into free agency with the draft over knowing exactly what positions we need to target.  Clearly to me, DE and rush OLB should be our top targets.  This is also true of our own free agents.  Now signing a Matt Light to an expensive contract is not such an urgency or need with Solder and Cannon.  The Pats are in the best situation in the AFC East in terms of risk to their own free agents.

For me, when evaluating the draft I look at which teams did better in terms of their division first, then their conference.  Here's a summary of how we did compared to others in our division/conference.

New EnglandMiami
    PickSelectionPickSelection
    17Nate SolderLT15Mike PounceyC/G
    33Ras-I DowlingCB62Daniel ThomasRB
    56Shane VereenRB111Edmund GatesWR
    73Stevan RidleyRB174Charles ClayFB
    74Ryan MallettQB231Frank KearseDT
    138Marcus CannonG/RT235Jimmy WilsonCB
    159Lee SmithTE   
    194Markell CarterOLB   
    219Malcolm WilliamsCB   
    BuffaloNew York Jets
    3Marcell DareusDT30M WilkersonDE
    34Aaron WilliamsCB/S94Kenrick EllisNT
    68Kelvin SheppardILB126Bilal PowellRB
    100Da'Norris SearcySS153Jeremy KerleyWR
    122Chris HairstonOT208Greg McElroyQB
    133Johnny WhiteRB227Scotty McKnightWR
    169Chris WhiteILB   
    206Justin RogersCB/S   
    245Michael JasperDT   
    PittsburghBaltimore
    31Cam HeywardDE27Jimmy SmithCB
    63Marcus GilbertOT58Torrey SmithWR
    95Curtis BrownCB85Jah ReidOT
    128Cortez AllenCB123Tandon DossWR
    162Chris CarterOLB164Chykie BrownCB
    196Keith WilliamsOG165Pernell McPheeDE
    232Baron BatchRB180Tyrod TaylorQB
       225Anthony AllenRB

IndianapolisSan Diego
    22Anthony CastonzoOT18Corey LiugetDT
    49Ben IjalanaOG50Marcus GilchristCB
    87Drake NevisDT61Jonas MoutonOLB
    119Delone CarterRB82Vincent BrownWR
    188Chris L. RuckerCB89Shareece WrightCB
       183Jordan TodmanRB
       201S SchillingOG
       234Andrew GachkarOLB

Kansas CityHouston
    26Jon BaldwinWR11JJ WattDE
    55Rodney HudsonC42Brooks ReedOLB
    70Justin HoustonOLB60Brandon HarrisCB
    86Allen BaileyDE127R. CarmichaelCB
    118Jalil BrownCB144Shiloh KeoSS
    135Ricky StanziQB152TJ YatesQB
    140Gabe MillerDE214Derek NewtonOT
    199Jerrell PoweDT254Cheta OzougwuOLB
    223Shane BannonFB   

Within the AFC East I think Buffalo had a draft equal, if not better than ours but they have a long way to go and are not a threat without a franchise QB.  The Jets top two picks basically replace Kris Jenkins and Shaun Ellis, I don't consider them upgrades, although we shall see.  I really liked Powell and Kerley and Stanzi is a nice back up, but like Mallett unless he sees the field, he isn't helping you except as part of the scout team.  Miami did a great job with Pouncey.  Thomas and Clay will help take the sting out of losing Williams and Brown but I don't see them as a better RB tandem.  Gates is an excellent risk/reward pick.  But without an elite QB, I don't see the Dolphins challenging for the division.

All and all, I rate the draft in the AFC East this way:  Bills then Patriots with the Dolphins and Jets tied for worst draft in the division and among the elite AFC teams.

Turning to the rest of the AFC I really like what Baltimore, Kansas City and Houston did.  Pittsburgh also had a solid draft.  SD started out slow to me then caught fire later with their final 5 picks.  Indy addressed 3 top needs but otherwise didn't have much of a draft.  With the Manning situation unsettled and age starting to pile up on the OL and DL along with some key F/A potential losses I actually think Indy takes a step back this year and Houston finally makes the play-offs. 

Houston already had an elite offense.  They focused on the D in a big way with Watt, Reed, Harris and the other 2 DBs with their first 5 picks.  I think Houston had the best draft in the AFC followed by Buffalo, New England, Baltimore, Kansas City and Pittsburgh.  That's my 4 cents worth.  See ya all next year.

~Faucet

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I didn't either ...  he looks like a road grader .... not someone BB tends to pick, grab off waivers, trade for, or keep on the roster. Mankins is the closest thing. But then, given how long and massive Vollmer and Solder are ... maybe this signals a shift.  Grab two TEs and Crump ... then Lee. Jettison some WRs. Add Vereen and power runner Ridley. Ne wants to sit on the ball and let Tom pick his spots. Maybe?
    Posted by zbellino

Zb and Mb.  I think Cannon is different than most monster OL types.  He can really move for a big man.  He's Vince Wilfork on the other side of the ball.  I think we are seeing a shift somewhat in BB's thinking of staying small and fast on the OL to countering a problem that has been mounting and that is blocking bigger DLs.  Going up against the Jets, Baltimore and Steelers every year plus dealing with Indy's speed edge guys makes adding some beef on the OL paramount.  However, I think we added the beef without giving up the speed and agility.  By all counts, Cannon can move and bend like a 290 lb guy.

Against big, tough DLs maybe we should move Connolly over to center and start Cannon at RG to counter a BAL or NYJ DL.  We could have an OL, left to right as follows:

Solder 6-8, 319, 4.96
    Mankins 6-4, 310, 5.06
    Connolly 6-4, 313
    Cannon 6-5, 358, 5.26
    Vollmer 6-8, 315, 5.12

Compare the above to last year:

Light 6-4, 305
    Mankins 6-4, 310
    Koppen 6-2, 296
    Connolly 6-4, 313
    Vollmer 6-8, 315

That's 76 lbs more beef, an average of 15 lbs per man, and I dare say, on a more athletic group.  This gives us an average weight of 323 on the starting OL and again, these guys can all move.  Suddenly Mankins is the little guy on the OL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I didn't either ...  he looks like a road grader .... not someone BB tends to pick, grab off waivers, trade for, or keep on the roster. Mankins is the closest thing. But then, given how long and massive Vollmer and Solder are ... maybe this signals a shift.  Grab two TEs and Crump ... then Lee. Jettison some WRs. Add Vereen and power runner Ridley. Ne wants to sit on the ball and let Tom pick his spots. Maybe?
    Posted by zbellino

Tough to disagree.  Continue to grow the versatile, ball control, power running, short to intermediate type offense as they phase out the one dimensional, vertical passing circus that had become the norm during the Moss Era.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Zb and Mb.  I think Cannon is different than most monster OL types.  He can really move for a big man.  He's Vince Wilfork on the other side of the ball.  I think we are seeing a shift somewhat in BB's thinking of staying small and fast on the OL to countering a problem that has been mounting and that is blocking bigger DLs.  Going up against the Jets, Baltimore and Steelers every year plus dealing with Indy's speed edge guys makes adding some beef on the OL paramount.  However, I think we added the beef without giving up the speed and agility.  By all counts, Cannon can move and bend like a 290 lb guy. Against big, tough DLs maybe we should move Connolly over to center and start Cannon at RG to counter a BAL or NYJ DL.  We could have an OL, left to right as follows: Solder 6-8, 319, 4.96 Mankins 6-4, 310, 5.06 Connolly 6-4, 313 Cannon 6-5, 358, 5.26 Vollmer 6-8, 315, 5.12 Compare the above to last year: Light 6-4, 305 Mankins 6-4, 310 Koppen 6-2, 296 Connolly 6-4, 313 Vollmer 6-8, 315 That's 76 lbs more beef, an average of 15 lbs per man, and I dare say, on a more athletic group.  This gives us an average weight of 323 on the starting OL and again, these guys can all move.  Suddenly Mankins is the little guy on the OL.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet,
    I like the Cannon pick a lot and while he moves well for his size, he doesn't change direction or move laterally nearly as well as Mankins (or Vollmer/Solder), atleast based on his SS and 3C times.

Mankins- 4.45 SS / 7.54 3C

Vollmer- 4.50 SS / 7.51 3C

Solder- 4.34 SS / 7.44 3C

Cannon- 4.97 SS / 8.07 3C

With that being said, I love that they're looking to get bigger, tougher and more athletic up front.  Again, big fan of the pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Some closing thoughts.  The last three picks are practice squad guys, although there is a chance Lee Smith beats out Crumpler and Crumpler gets cut.  I had to look up the final 2 picks, never heard of them.  We did our usual, drafted 9 players while obtaining two high picks next year.  Our 9 picks matches the most of all AFC favorites.  We also had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds tied with SD.  We had a big need a RB and hit that position twice early on like we did at TE last year.  We needed an OT and filled that need first then came back later with a monster RT who will probably kick inside but can play RT if needed. This draft was different with free agency coming later.  We can now go into free agency with the draft over knowing exactly what positions we need to target.  Clearly to me, DE and rush OLB should be our top targets.  This is also true of our own free agents.  Now signing a Matt Light to an expensive contract is not such an urgency or need with Solder and Cannon.  The Pats are in the best situation in the AFC East in terms of risk to their own free agents. For me, when evaluating the draft I look at which teams did better in terms of their division first, then their conference.  Here's a summary of how we did compared to others in our division/conference. New England Miami Pick Selection Pick Selection 17 Nate Solder LT 15 Mike Pouncey C/G 33 Ras-I Dowling CB 62 Daniel Thomas RB 56 Shane Vereen RB 111 Edmund Gates WR 73 Stevan Ridley RB 174 Charles Clay FB 74 Ryan Mallett QB 231 Frank Kearse DT 138 Marcus Cannon G/RT 235 Jimmy Wilson CB 159 Lee Smith TE       194 Markell Carter OLB       219 Malcolm Williams CB       Buffalo New York Jets Pick Selection Pick Selection 3 Marcell Dareus DT 30 M Wilkerson DE 34 Aaron Williams CB/S 94 Kenrick Ellis NT 68 Kelvin Sheppard ILB 126 Bilal Powell RB 100 Da'Norris Searcy SS 153 Jeremy Kerley WR 122 Chris Hairston OT 208 Greg McElroy QB 133 Johnny White RB 227 Scotty McKnight WR 169 Chris White ILB       206 Justin Rogers CB/S       245 Michael Jasper DT       Pittsburgh Baltimore Pick Selection Pick Selection 31 Cam Heyward DE 27 Jimmy Smith CB 63 Marcus Gilbert OT 58 Torrey Smith WR 95 Curtis Brown CB 85 Jah Reid OT 128 Cortez Allen CB 123 Tandon Doss WR 162 Chris Carter OLB 164 Chykie Brown CB 196 Keith Williams OG 165 Pernell McPhee DE 232 Baron Batch RB 180 Tyrod Taylor QB       225 Anthony Allen RB             Indianapolis San Diego Pick Selection Pick Selection 22 Anthony Castonzo OT 18 Corey Liuget DT 49 Ben Ijalana OG 50 Marcus Gilchrist CB 87 Drake Nevis DT 61 Jonas Mouton OLB 119 Delone Carter RB 82 Vincent Brown WR 188 Chris L. Rucker CB 89 Shareece Wright CB       183 Jordan Todman RB       201 S Schilling OG       234 Andrew Gachkar OLB             Kansas City Houston Pick Selection Pick Selection 26 Jon Baldwin WR 11 JJ Watt DE 55 Rodney Hudson C 42 Brooks Reed OLB 70 Justin Houston OLB 60 Brandon Harris CB 86 Allen Bailey DE 127 R. Carmichael CB 118 Jalil Brown CB 144 Shiloh Keo SS 135 Ricky Stanzi QB 152 TJ Yates QB 140 Gabe Miller DE 214 Derek Newton OT 199 Jerrell Powe DT 254 Cheta Ozougwu OLB 223 Shane Bannon FB       Within the AFC East I think Buffalo had a draft equal, if not better than ours but they have a long way to go and are not a threat without a franchise QB.  The Jets top two picks basically replace Kris Jenkins and Shaun Ellis, I don't consider them upgrades, although we shall see.  I really liked Powell and Kerley and Stanzi is a nice back up, but like Mallett unless he sees the field, he isn't helping you except as part of the scout team.  Miami did a great job with Pouncey.  Thomas and Clay will help take the sting out of losing Williams and Brown but I don't see them as a better RB tandem.  Gates is an excellent risk/reward pick.  But without an elite QB, I don't see the Dolphins challenging for the division. All and all, I rate the draft in the AFC East this way:  Bills then Patriots with the Dolphins and Jets tied for worst draft in the division and among the elite AFC teams. Turning to the rest of the AFC I really like what Baltimore, Kansas City and Houston did.  Pittsburgh also had a solid draft.  SD started out slow to me then caught fire later with their final 5 picks.  Indy addressed 3 top needs but otherwise didn't have much of a draft.  With the Manning situation unsettled and age starting to pile up on the OL and DL along with some key F/A potential losses I actually think Indy takes a step back this year and Houston finally makes the play-offs.  Houston already had an elite offense.  They focused on the D in a big way with Watt, Reed, Harris and the other 2 DBs with their first 5 picks.  I think Houston had the best draft in the AFC followed by Buffalo, New England, Baltimore, Kansas City and Pittsburgh.  That's my 4 cents worth.  See ya all next year. ~Faucet
    Posted by Faucetman

Great graph!

I think Houston and KC had a draft! Indy did good too based on their needs. NE was middle of the pack. The rest of the AFC east ... I don't get ... especially Miami. What were they thinking?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Faucet, I like the Cannon pick a lot and while he moves well for his size, he doesn't change direction or move laterally nearly as well as Mankins (or Vollmer/Solder), atleast based on his SS and 3C times. Mankins- 4.45 SS / 7.54 3C Vollmer- 4.50 SS / 7.51 3C Solder- 4.34 SS / 7.44 3C Cannon- 4.97 SS / 8.07 3C With that being said, I love that they're looking to get bigger, tougher and more athletic up front.  Again, big fan of the pick.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I think the point is that he moves like a guy that isn't so wide. I like the pick. I've watched him move in space ... I think if he is healthy he could pull, which is the *huge* thing NE guards have to do. 

I still think NE needs either for T. Price to seriously step it up ... or another wideout. 2TE sets still need perimiter wideouts. 

The other puzzling thing ... why are they migrating to a set that removes Welker from the field? Well .... I don't know. Unless they plan on lowballing him or parting ways. 

All in all ... I think they will have to have a competitive package next season, but not one that has quick strike ability. That is still missing. Unless Vereen turns into Barry Sanders ... this offense lacks a RB or WR who can take it to the house and own one safety all game long.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Powell to the Jets.  Damn Mb.  Now we have to watch him at least twice a year.
    Posted by Faucetman

Haha, he's dead to me know ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

MB, some closing thoughts from you? this thread has to be some record. i'd love to hear your thoughts on the pats draft as a whole.

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Faucet, I like the Cannon pick a lot and while he moves well for his size, he doesn't change direction or move laterally nearly as well as Mankins (or Vollmer/Solder), atleast based on his SS and 3C times. Mankins- 4.45 SS / 7.54 3C Vollmer- 4.50 SS / 7.51 3C Solder- 4.34 SS / 7.44 3C Cannon- 4.97 SS / 8.07 3C With that being said, I love that they're looking to get bigger, tougher and more athletic up front.  Again, big fan of the pick.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I think the point is that he moves like a guy that isn't so wide. I like the pick. I've watched him move in space ... I think if he is healthy he could pull, which is the *huge* thing NE guards have to do.  I still think NE needs either for T. Price to seriously step it up ... or another wideout. 2TE sets still  need perimiter wideouts.  The other puzzling thing ... why are they migrating to a set that removes Welker from the field? Well .... I don't know. Unless they plan on lowballing him or parting ways.  All in all ... I think they will have to have a competitive package next season, but not one that has quick strike ability. That is still missing. Unless Vereen turns into Barry Sanders ... this offense lacks a RB or WR who can take it to the house and own one safety all game long.
    Posted by zbellino

Thoughts on targeting Santana Moss in free agency?  Veteran guy with good speed, quicks and RAC ability, also has proven big play ability.  The downside being, he turns 32 in June, is coming off of a 93-1115-6 season and might be looking for one last big payday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Thoughts on targeting Santana Moss in free agency?  Veteran guy with good speed, quicks and RAC ability, also has proven big play ability.  The downside being, he turns 32 in June, is coming off of a 93-1115-6 season and might be looking for one last big payday.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I don't know about that. Wouldn't mind taking Santonio Holmes from the Jests though .. doubt he makes it to FA though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'm also no on Steve Smith and Randy Moss and Ocho .... but recognize they could be stopgaps.

I just want NE to get young ... not old. 

Sydney Rice is intriguing .. as is Breaston.... but folks will overpay ... and those folks aren't NE.

NE doesn't need Larry fitz ... but they need, need, need to improve on what Tate gave them. That is for sure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

MB, some closing thoughts from you? this thread has to be some record. i'd love to hear your thoughts on the pats draft as a whole. In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** :
    Posted by artielang

artie,
    Overall, I'm happy with the haul.

What I liked:

Upgrading the OL.

Upgrading the RB corp.

Upgrading the secondary.

Getting great value on players that slid for different reasons (Mallet/character, Cannon/medicals).

Maintaining draft flexibility for the future.

What I didn't like:

Not addressing the OLB position until Rd 6; hoping that the position gets some attention via free agency and/or they know something that most don't on Markell Carter.  Guess they didn't see value in the popular names, Reed, Sheard and Houston, etc. 

Passing up Randall Cobb.

The value of Stevan Ridley in Rd 3, though clearly they valued him more than many.  Had him on my top 75 list, but I was thinking Rd 5-7 with him.  If the kid turns out to be a player, this will all be irrelevant, ha.

Passing on Herzlich completely, hoping he gets a look as an URFA.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : The draft is far more compelling than the actual games because you can check your own skills of evaluating players and the teams needs,I feel pretty good about my abilities to project the needs even if I don't get the players name right,I said they would take an Olineman (Pouncey was my choice but he was already gone)and I have no complaints about Solder being the guy. Dowling was a surprise but a very good pick with his experience in playing the 3-4 D at Groh University. with Morris,Taylor and possibly Faulk leaving they needed an infusion of young RB's and both Vereen and Ridley were productive backs at their schools.The only player I wished they had selected and didn't was Cobb. BB best two picks were Cannon and Mallett,this was a grade A draft because he also gained two top picks in the 2012 draft...
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Agree, I had attached myself mentally to Cobb as well as Reed & Herzlich.

As far as Rd 1 goes, I would've loved to see Prince opposite DMC or Kerrigan rushing off the edge, but I'm happy with the Solder pick and think it makes a ton of sense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I like them passing on Herzkich ... I don't think he'll be a player in this league ... although I'm getting shouted down on that one left and right.

Ridley, if he is developed well, essentially pushes BJGE to the bench ... he is just as fast, a touch quicker, a lot stronger, a lot bigger and the same north-south runner. 

I remember watching him ... he is tough to bring down. He has great balance. And is wicked quick for a 225 back. He just  isn't a home-run hitter, because he isn't running away from any defenders. 

Maybe Vereen can be that guy ... he definitely has the best 5th gear in the RB stable now. 

Love Solder. Lukewarm on Ras-I ...I hate damaged goods in the second ... but especially when you are passing on other talented OLB types.

I think it was a decent showing ...I guess, in the end .... BB really liked what he saw from Cunningham last season ... and (understandably) loathed what he got from Arrington and Butler....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

whats your overall grade? and do you think the team is improved for next season as things stand today? 
    i'm really struggling with this. i like the value of pretty much every pick, and i like the idea of fortifying the offense for the future. but before the draft started i though the team was 2 really good defensive front 7 players and maybe 1 good guard away from being a champion. now that the draft has ended....i feel the same way. i think there was already a season that cost us a championship because BB valued draft picks over dion branch and in the end the colts dropped us because brady had no one to catch the ball. i'd hate to lose next season becuase there is not enough pressure on 3rd down. 

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : artie, Overall, I'm happy with the haul. What I liked: Upgrading the OL. Upgrading the RB corp. Upgrading the secondary. Getting great value on players that slid for different reasons (Mallet/character, Cannon/medicals). Maintaining draft flexibility for the future. What I didn't like: Not addressing the OLB position until Rd 6; hoping that the position gets some attention via free agency and/or they know something that most don't on Markell Carter.  Guess they didn't see value in the popular names, Reed, Sheard and Houston, etc.  Passing up Randall Cobb. The value of Stevan Ridley in Rd 3, though clearly they valued him more than many.  Had him on my top 75 list, but I was thinking Rd 5-7 with him.  If the kid turns out to be a player, this will all be irrelevant, ha. Passing on Herzlich completely, hoping he gets a look as an URFA.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Agree, I had attached myself mentally to Cobb as well as Reed & Herzlich. As far as Rd 1 goes, I would've loved to see Prince opposite DMC or Kerrigan rushing off the edge, but I'm happy with the Solder pick and think it makes a ton of sense.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I was just hoping Herzlich would get drafted. It's too bad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

whats your overall grade? and do you think the team is improved for next season as things stand today?  i'm really struggling with this. i like the value of pretty much every pick, and i like the idea of fortifying the offense for the future. but before the draft started i though the team was 2 really good defensive front 7 players and maybe 1 good guard away from being a champion. now that the draft has ended....i feel the same way. i think there was already a season that cost us a championship because BB valued draft picks over dion branch and in the end the colts dropped us because brady had no one to catch the ball. i'd hate to lose next season becuase there is not enough pressure on 3rd down.  In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** :
    Posted by artielang

I don't have anything tangible to place a grade on at this point, want to give these kids a chance to play before doing so.

Tough to know how much they've improved until we see these kids in action, however I do think they addressed some needs and believe some of these kids can really help. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

thaks for seeing the silver lining andf naything good that can be taken from our draft.

without any emotionality, from the i couldnt have said it any better category,
    here's tom e curran:

So far in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Patriots have turned their noses up to the front-seven group that Bill Belichick said was a landmark collection of players. More impactful guys at the top of the draft than any April he can remember.

Yet this - along with offensive line - was the most glaring need for the 2011 New England Patriots entering this draft.

They allowed 47.1 percent conversions on third down last year. They mustered 36 sacks - 5.5 of those from Mike Wright, a player who led the team in that stat despite missing a huge chunk of the season.

And while Belichick downgrades the importance of sacks, saying that pressure is the tell-all, the pressure was lacking in 2010. Witness the playoff loss to the Jets where Mark Sanchez had time to scan the secondary and text message teenagers before whipping critical completions unmolested.  

Despite that, Belichick indicated Friday night he feels OK about not grabbing a pressure-generator.

"We have some young players on our roster and I think that those players – in all the various positions, not just at that specifically – but I think younger players will still continue to develop," Belichick said. "But there are good players up there on the board and we got the ones that we felt were best for us. There are other players that are good players, too, that went to the other teams. That’s the way it always is."

Here's the thing I'll happily acknowledge. I don't know what the limitations of Cam Jordan would have been or how long the Patriots would have expected to wait for a return on taking the Cal DE/OLB. Or Cameron Heyward, Adrian Clayborn, Jabaal Sheard, Allen Bailey, Da'Quan Bowers and right on down the line.

But Tully Banta-Cain, Jermaine Cunningham, Gerard Warren, Brandon Deaderick, Kyle Love, Eric Moore, Myron Pryor, Mike Wright and Marcus Stroud are a collection of castoffs, has-been and lowly-regarded players the Patriots have been counting on.

Bless 'em, they have gotten the job done adequately on some Sundays. Many Sundays in the instance of Banta-Cain and Wright.  

But I'm at wits end to explain why, if Bill Belichick still genuflects at the mention of Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks, he cannot bring himself to spend a pick on a guy who can generate pressure. Specifically.

I'll never buy a ticket on the "Belichick is arrogant and thinks he's smarter than everybody else" train. It's not true.

But I cannot explain with great logic why a team hurting for players capable of chasing down quarterbacks ignored that need when the guy in charge said there were a ton of those players available.

------------------------------------------

let's hope we already have a deal with a wink and nod to kc for haveli (or some such other deal)

cheers

Sections
Shortcuts