2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

Ladies and gents, the next NE pass rusher ... 
    Urkell Carter posing for team photos. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/de/markell-carter.shtml

Positives:
    Good athlete... Very good speed... Explosive... Solid pass rusher... Good initial burst... Good bend on the corner... Lanky... Long arms... Active hands... Solid hand technique... Will affect passing lanes when he cannot reach the quarterback... Good balance and body control... Makes plays in the backfield... Good closing speed... Solid lateral mobility... Makes plays down the line of scrimmage... Locates the ball quickly... Tackles well... Plays low... Solid drops in coverage... Loose hips... Redirects and recovers well when he out-runs the play... Team leader... Aggressive... Plays smart... Durable, has not missed a game in two seasons... In the same mold as former Central Arkansas defensive ends Jacob Ford (Titans) and Larry Hart (Jaguars).

Negatives: Not real strong... Can be engulfed by larger blockers... Can be pushed around... Lacks the power to split double teams... Does not get off blocks especially quick... Loses ground at the point of attack... Needs a clear path to the quarterback to be successful... Tends to run around blocks, struggles to face them head on... Can be run at... Needs to improve maintaining containment... Can be slow to diagnose and read plays, not the most instinctive player... Has played in a down position and will need to adjust to standing upright... Is strictly a 3-4 OLB prospect at this point, would need to add considerable muscle mass to get looks as a defensive end... Any additional bulk might impact his speed... Lack of competition playing at the FCS level.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I wonder if he has a chance to make 53 roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    mcelroys gf is hot!!!
    Posted by isurfvb35

That's his sister....but yes, she is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Of all the OLB/DE that we passed up....would any one hazzard a guess which one(s) will have more than 10 sacks?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I wonder if he has a chance to make 53 roster.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

Probably not. That is what most late round kids do... they are drafted to add a name to the mix in camp ... competition that is all. He will probably be real hungry when he gets there and fly around try his tukus off, and it could have a beneficial effect on the camp. Then when everyone is counted .... he will be released because he isn't as fast, strong, well balanced, or football smart as a professional football player needs to be in order to be competitive. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

here's some youtube on Markel. Not much going on there..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

here's some youtube on Markel. Not much going on there.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsXWwTdhlA
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

The sad part is that it doesn't look like an impressive highligt reel at all ... and it was against players that are only a small notch above highschool talent levels. I truly wonder what made this kid stand out over even backups from bigger schools... cause I don't see it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

he's listed at 6'4", 252. Not that skinny.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm starting to detect a note of sarcasm here ZB....

Markell is a odd pick. I think Romeus is still out there, as is Thomas Keiser. Wouldn't of they been better selections this late?....

Like I said, odd draft. I do like Cannon if he clears medical. That is a steal in round 5. I've seen him rated by many scouts as the 4th best Guard, with RT size.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

FACT 1 The defense was not good enough in 2010.

FACT 2 The defense rankded LAST on stopping 3rd Down Conversion

FACT 3 This draft did nothing to improve the Defence. Sorry, Ras-I is not going to beat out Bodden.

FACT 4 TB is going to have to have another MVP season to cover up the D's deficiencies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Is Toliver still on the Board?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Is Toliver still on the Board?
    Posted by CanadianPat

He is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Cliffy Mathews from S. Carolina would be a nice 7th R for Pats - OLB pass rusher

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

FACT 1 The defense was not good enough in 2010. FACT 2 The defense rankded LAST on stopping 3rd Down Conversion FACT 3 This draft did nothing to improve the Defence. Sorry, Ras-I is not going to beat out Bodden. FACT 4 TB is going to have to have another MVP season to cover up the D's deficiencies.
    Posted by CanadianPat

They were good enough to go 14-2. Just heard Bruschi say about BB's drafting, When you've got 3 sbs in your back pocket and you're coming off a 14-2 season with the #1 seed and you have a young team you can do whatever you want. Then Jaws said, 8 players they've drafted since 2008 are on other teams.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

FACT 1 The defense was not good enough in 2010. FACT 2 The defense rankded LAST on stopping 3rd Down Conversion FACT 3 This draft did nothing to improve the Defence. Sorry, Ras-I is not going to beat out Bodden. FACT 4 TB is going to have to have another MVP season to cover up the D's deficiencies.
    Posted by CanadianPat

And yet more ignorance from a poster that knows nothing. Ras wasn't picked to "beat out" Bodden this year. It is typical for it to take 2-3 yrs to figure out the corner position in the NFL. McCourtey is an exception, not the rule. Ras was picked to hopefully take over for Bodden in 2 years while he learns the ropes in the interim.

Why the heck do people think that every pick is to be an impact player in their first year? Could it be they don't really understand the game of football?

mbeaulieu07  and FAUCETMAN:

I'd be interested in a new thread by you guys with a final draft analysis along with potential FA possibilities to fll some holes. I'm sure others would look forward to the thread as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : They were good enough to go 14-2. Just heard Bruschi say about BB's drafting, When you've got 3 sbs in your back pocket and you're coming off a 14-2 season with the #1 seed and you have a young team you can do whatever you want. Then Jaws said, 8 players they've drafted since 2008 are on other teams.
    Posted by digger0862

GB went 11-5 and won the Super Bowl ... Frankly the 14-2 don't matter when you lose your only playoff game at home BADLY to the 11-5 Jests.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

New England Patriots 

7th round - final stretch! Some notable Pats 7th rd picks: Julian Edelman, Matt Cassel, Tully Banta-Cain, David Givens & Patrick Pass

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Without a ton of research, I bet NE having 8 picks since 2008 go to other teams isn't anything more than the average. Most of those picks are from rounds 3 through 7 which are mostly crap shoot picks anyways. Those picks can usually go either way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Great point!

Adam Schefter 

Just because a player goes undrafted doesn't mean he won't succeed. Twenty-three - 23! - undrafted free agents were in this year's Pro Bowl.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Greg A. Bedard

Patriots are one pick away from their final scheduled pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

knowing them, they'll probably trade the 7th round pick for a future pick

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : The sad part is that it doesn't look like an impressive highligt reel at all ... and it was against players that are only a small notch above highschool talent levels. I truly wonder what made this kid stand out over even backups from bigger schools... cause I don't see it.
    Posted by zbellino

He's going to be catnip for Cannon and Solder to swat around on the practice squad.

Sections
Shortcuts