2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1

mb,

after today's game, i think it's clear that the pats has talent, particularly in the secondary. to continue building on the team, i think picks next year could focus on three areas.

DL
    RB
    OL

on DL, i think the team should look for a back up to wilfork. but backup really does not capture my wish. vw is not bad at all. i just want someone who could be more dominant than vw, with some exposure to bb.

on RB, taylor is not bad, but he's not the answer long term.

on OL, i think we need better guards. we could use someone who can protect (the ones now are good here) and open up running lanes (not so good here).

who do you have in your list?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I was thinking DL with the first pick but Ty Warren will be coming back and then you have Vince and G. Warren.  A nice starting group.  I wonder if the DL would be the pick? 

RB and possibly two would be on my menu.

On the OL front we are short on tackle and I wonder if it's time to find a replacement for Koppen. 

For OLB Von Miller of Texas A&M and Jeremy Beal of Oklahoma.  The DEs of this class seem to be more of the traditional 4/3 DE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:
    [QUOTE]mb, after today's game, i think it's clear that the pats has talent, particularly in the secondary. to continue building on the team, i think picks next year could focus on three areas. DL RB OL on DL, i think the team should look for a back up to wilfork. but backup really does not capture my wish. vw is not bad at all. i just want someone who could be more dominant than vw, with some exposure to bb. on RB, taylor is not bad, but he's not the answer long term. on OL, i think we need better guards. we could use someone who can protect (the ones now are good here) and open up running lanes (not so good here). who do you have in your list?
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

sp70,

I agree that the secondary looks promising and is packed with a ton of young talent.  I'm not putting too much stock into Chad Johnson's big statline as most of his numbers came in garbage time.

I don't agree with your assessment of VW.   Who would be more dominant in the middle?  He's probably a top 2 or 3 NT in the NFL and is the ideal fit for their two gap scheme.

At RB, I agree that Taylor isn't the long term answer, but they may stick with the model of acquiring veteran RB's to fill the need as it's seemed to work well for them during BB's time here (A Smith, Dillon, H Evans, S Morris, Taylor etc). 

At this point in the season, I'd still like to see them invest a high round pick in another OLB, someone to pair with Cunningham moving forward.  It's still early but this class could potentially yield a good amount of OLB prospects that possess the height/weight/length/size that BB likes at the position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : sp70, I agree that the secondary looks promising and is packed with a ton of young talent.  I'm not putting too much stock into Chad Johnson's big statline as most of his numbers came in garbage time. I don't agree with your assessment of VW.   Who would be more dominant in the middle?  He's probably a top 2 or 3 NT in the NFL and is the ideal fit for their two gap scheme. At RB, I agree that Taylor isn't the long term answer, but they may stick with the model of acquiring veteran RB's to fill the need as it's seemed to work well for them during BB's time here (A Smith, Dillon, H Evans, S Morris, Taylor etc).  At this point in the season, I'd still like to see them invest a high round pick in another OLB, someone to pair with Cunningham moving forward.  It's still early but this class could potentially yield a good amount of OLB prospects that possess the height/weight/length/size that BB likes at the position.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Great posts mbeaulieu!  I agree I would like to see the Pats spend their first pick on a pass rushing OLB.  To me this is their biggest weakness and a good pass rush would help immensely with the young defensive backfield.  To me the guy to target would be Robert Quinn from NC.  Unless Oakland really tanks this year we would probably have to trade up to get him.  I think this upcoming draft would be the year the Patriots would be more aggressive moving up in the draft since it seems like it would be more top heavy. 

Another guy to keep an eye on is Akeem Ayers from UCLA.  Seems like a athletic guy who is a big hitter.  I can see him potentially being a good pass rusher and who has experience dropping back into coverage. 

We do need a DE however I think it's about time the Pats invest into a feared pass rusher that teams have to game plan around.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=0390b6398ac3e84b33b09c85a873d9ac&plckUserId=0390b6398ac3e84b33b09c85a873d9ac" target="_parent">PatsNut5480 and MB; I think the Pats will go for a big DE with top choice.  Given Clayton and Heyward may be gone - what about this Allen Bailey of Miami Hurricanes?  How did he look in game against Ohio State?

Also, what are thoughts re Mark Herliczh (spelling inc?) of BC.  Is he looking like returning to health and form for a second round OLB selection?

Are there any New England college players out there you guys like for mid-later round picks?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=0390b6398ac3e84b33b09c85a873d9ac&plckUserId=0390b6398ac3e84b33b09c85a873d9ac " target="_parent" /> PatsNut5480  and MB; I think the Pats will go for a big DE with top choice.  Given Clayton and Heyward may be gone - what about this Allen Bailey of Miami Hurricanes?  How did he look in game against Ohio State? Also, what are thoughts re Mark Herliczh (spelling inc?) of BC.  Is he looking like returning to health and form for a second round OLB selection? Are there any New England college players out there you guys like for mid-later round picks?
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]

It could go either way regarding drafting a DE or OLB.  I think Bailey is a good player just not sure if he fits our type of 3-4 defense.  I didn't see him in the Ohio State game.  I was watching Michigan/ND at the time.  I did hear good things about him though.  I see him in the Jarvis Green mold but better.  Some other DE's to keep an eye on with first round talent are Jared Crick from Nebraska and Marcell Dareus from Alabama.  Either way I think the Pats will go OLB first then DE or DE first then OLB.  Herzlich is a good player with a great story.  I'm reserving my opinion to see how he does over a full season.  I'm not sure if he fits the mold as a 3-4 linebacker in the Pats system.  He might not be big enough.  I think he'll be a good pro in the right system though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i would love to see the patriots pick up julio jones in this years draft.  i generally dont like taking a receiver that early, but man is this guy a stud.  coming from alabama he should have an okay time picking up the new england offense and he could be a number 1 receiver within a year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Beal didn't stand out but the whole Sooners defense did impress. FSU was not able to keep any drives going and therefore I don't take to much out of this game negative,  Tivo could have helped. Beal could be a special player its just that the Sooners defense has alot of pro prospects and I think they will be a nasty group this year. He did his job.

This is why I was so impressed with Travis, despite the talent around him he was able to easily stand out. Although I will add that on a team with said talent ( nice D Line ) WLB should be the one who stands out as the reads come easier amd the QB has to check down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : sp70, I agree that the secondary looks promising and is packed with a ton of young talent.  I'm not putting too much stock into Chad Johnson's big statline as most of his numbers came in garbage time. I don't agree with your assessment of VW.   Who would be more dominant in the middle?  He's probably a top 2 or 3 NT in the NFL and is the ideal fit for their two gap scheme. At RB, I agree that Taylor isn't the long term answer, but they may stick with the model of acquiring veteran RB's to fill the need as it's seemed to work well for them during BB's time here (A Smith, Dillon, H Evans, S Morris, Taylor etc).  At this point in the season, I'd still like to see them invest a high round pick in another OLB, someone to pair with Cunningham moving forward.  It's still early but this class could potentially yield a good amount of OLB prospects that possess the height/weight/length/size that BB likes at the position.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

mb,

i understand that currently vw is irreplaceable. that's also the reason why i want them to find someone to back him...but that someone should have strong potential to start effectively. they are one injury away from a season down the drain.

the d is only as good as the person playing that position. i believe the jets will be case in point now that jenkins is out. brace is not that backup. the depth chart on espn.com shows nobody behind vw on nt. i believe that is an accurate reflection of what the pats has in talent. i think they need to spend a high pick if a good nt is available.

with two first rounders and two second rndrs, i believe the pats have picks in the first two rounds to snag a really good olb and a good de. if they really want to draft an rb, they'd find excellent ones even in the third rnd.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb and everyone, I went on a little vacation and this thing is off and running.  I knew I was not the only one who was thinking draft in September.

I don't know the Pats will use all their picks next year.  I don't think a third year of 11+ players will happen although here is where I think picks will go in order of need:

34 DE Will be a 1st round stud
    34 OLB Another 1st round stud
    RB the trend has been later round RBs have out performed some of the 1st round talent I believe a 2nd AND a 4th/5th on RBs.
    OL (T and G) OT

If Moss leaves another option is a future #1 receiver, there are a very tallented group that will be available in the 1st and 2nd.  If Price and Tate progress this year I don't think they pickup a WR until later in the draft, if they don't will be very tempting to pickup on of those 6'4"+ 220+ WRs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'd give San Diego one of our 2nd round picks to acquire Vincent Jackson as a replacement for Moss.  Jackson's size and physical nature would make him an ideal compliment the speed of Tate/Price.  He's a great run blocking WR and would be a great option in the red zone along with Gronk.  I know he's had some issues with alchohol in the past, but he's not a diva receiver like Moss. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Jackson is a pure #1, I don't think a 2nd would get it done, I think the receiving group is really good.  Not saying Jackson would make it better but how many balls r there to go around? 
    Moss
    Welker
    Tate
    Hernandez
    Gronk
    Edelman
    Faulk
    Crump
    Price
    All these guys are good targets, spending a high pick for a guy to catch maybe 5 passes a game might be too much with the current receiving group but that's just my opinion. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : mb, i understand that currently vw is irreplaceable. that's also the reason why i want them to find someone to back him...but that someone should have strong potential to start effectively. they are one injury away from a season down the drain. the d is only as good as the person playing that position. i believe the jets will be case in point now that jenkins is out. brace is not that backup. the depth chart on espn.com shows nobody behind vw on nt. i believe that is an accurate reflection of what the pats has in talent. i think they need to spend a high pick if a good nt is available. with two first rounders and two second rndrs, i believe the pats have picks in the first two rounds to snag a really good olb and a good de. if they really want to draft an rb, they'd find excellent ones even in the third rnd.  

I agree NT is a HUGE position, but in regards to the Jets, u do realize that he was out last year as well, u know, when they were #1 in over all D right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Mord good point, heard yesterday in either ESPN or NFL Network that stats for that D were better after he went out.  The Jets used a two man rotation which meant those two guys were able to rest for a few plays.  I don't Jenkins will have much of a negative impact on the D, it will be more of an impact on how teams spread them out making the jets go to nickel and dime packages.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I wouldn't go high (1st or 2nd round) with a WR unless 2 things happen;
    1. Price doesn't pan out 
    2. Moss is not resigned

If the above 2 happened, that would leave us with Tate, Welker and Edelman along with our TE's of course. And, if those 2 things did happen, I still think it is best to acquire a FA WR then gamble in the draft and select one high when we have needs at other positions. I'd rather check the FA list and see who we can bring in that has experience like we did with Randy and Wes, or possibly make a trade in the offseason for one. 

My focus in the 2011 draft is on DE, OLB, OL. 
    We need a right tackle when Light moves on and Vollmer is transitioned to left.
    We need a DE....I don't know how long GWarren is signed, or when Ty is coming back, but we seem thin at the 3-4 DE position. It will be interesting to see how Brace plays at the DE spot this year.
    And...I want to see us draft an aggressive OLB like we have been saying for the last 4 years now. 

RB possibly in round 2. I'm not biting on Ingram with any of our #1's. I'll wait til the 2nd round and look at possibly Daniel Thomas, or hope the kid from VTech falls to early round 2 where the Panthers will be drafting and grab him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : I agree NT is a HUGE position, but in regards to the Jets, u do realize that he was out last year as well, u know, when they were #1 in over all D right?
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

yep...the question is how confident are you that the pats could as good a job in adjusting to a loss like that and be as good as they are now? as of last year, we were saying this d went bad when seymore went to oak (how do you spell that guy's name?). i can only imagine what it would be like at the loss of vw.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I agree that losing VW would hurt a ton.  I do have love for our backup NT Love.  He is raw, but has good potential.  I would rather use a high pick on a higher need.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

MB / others...

Seems to be a ton of guys in the 6'4"-6'6" 260-280lb mold coming out next year. Most of these guys (not counting Dareus because I think given his size he is a true 3-4 DE)....seem a bit small for 3-4DE, probably better 4-3 DE's. 

Do you see guys like RQuinn, ABailey, AClayborn, etc. able to convert to 3-4 OLB? Of the group, it seems like RQuinn could make the conversion. The other guys seem a bit heavy and not fast enough, but just wondering what everyone thinks. Any other 4-3 DE's on the radar that anyone believes can make the transition effectively to 3-4 OLB?

Like Pats7393, I want to see a 34DE and 34OLB taken right away. 

I know most of us want a RB drafted, and my pick is Shane Vereen out of Cal. He backed up JBest last year, and I think this kid is the same mold as Faulk. Averaging 5.1 yards per carry, good patient runner, lets blocks develop then explodes. Can catch effectively almost all over the field, solid returning punts if required. ....thoughts on Vereen anyone? I would like to see the Pats grab him in round 2. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

PatsLifer That was my opinion also, there seems to be a lot of guys that fit the typical 3-4 OLB mold that will be in the higher rounds of the 2011 Draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

MB; here is some good data from SI article w link below for possible Pats draftees:

Jonas Mouton/LB/Michigan: The Wolverines are off to a fast start at 2-0 and Mouton has been the teams's top defender in both games. He led the unit with 13 tackles in the exciting win over Notre Dame besides intercepting a pass early in the game, which Michigan converted into a touchdown. Mouton is an explosive linebacker who effortlessly moves sideline-to-sideline. He added 15 pounds of muscle this season yet did not lose a step of speed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/13/risers.sliders.week2/index.html#ixzz0zobqSAPU

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB; here is some good data from SI article w link below for possible Pats draftees: Jonas Mouton/LB/Michigan: The Wolverines are off to a fast start at 2-0 and Mouton has been the teams's top defender in both games. He led the unit with 13 tackles in the exciting win over Notre Dame besides intercepting a pass early in the game, which Michigan converted into a touchdown. Mouton is an explosive linebacker who effortlessly moves sideline-to-sideline. He added 15 pounds of muscle this season yet did not lose a step of speed. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/13/risers.sliders.week2/index.html#ixzz0zobqSAPU
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]

fyyankees,

Yes, I got a good look at Mouton last week vs. ND, was very active as indicated above and was all over the field, certainly a player that stood out.  I just don't think he fits NE's 3-4 scheme; listed at 6-2 228, he's probably too light to play ILB in their scheme and he doesn't contain the size to play on the edge.  Again, looked to be a good player, but not a good fit for NE, IMO.  He looks like a good fit at 4-3 OLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB / others... Seems to be a ton of guys in the 6'4"-6'6" 260-280lb mold coming out next year. Most of these guys (not counting Dareus because I think given his size he is a true 3-4 DE)....seem a bit small for 3-4DE, probably better 4-3 DE's.  Do you see guys like RQuinn, ABailey, AClayborn, etc. able to convert to 3-4 OLB? Of the group, it seems like RQuinn could make the conversion. The other guys seem a bit heavy and not fast enough, but just wondering what everyone thinks. Any other 4-3 DE's on the radar that anyone believes can make the transition effectively to 3-4 OLB? Like Pats7393, I want to see a 34DE and 34OLB taken right away.  I know most of us want a RB drafted, and my pick is Shane Vereen out of Cal. He backed up JBest last year, and I think this kid is the same mold as Faulk. Averaging 5.1 yards per carry, good patient runner, lets blocks develop then explodes. Can catch effectively almost all over the field, solid returning punts if required. ....thoughts on Vereen anyone? I would like to see the Pats grab him in round 2. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

PatsLifer,
    I'd agree that of those 3, Quinn looks to be the most likely to make the move outside in a 3-4.  Yes, Bailey and Clayborn are probably too big and likely don't possess the short area quickness and agility to consistently play in space.  Quinn is an interesting kid to keep an eye on, however he currently projects as a top 5 talent, so he may not be available.

Outside of Romeus, who just had back surgery to remove pressure on a herniated disk (timeline for return is unknown), I'm still high on Kerrigan and Herzlich as potential fits at 3-4 OLB.  Kerrigan looks to be the superior pass rusher of the two, however Herzlich is jack of all trades type player that has the size, toughness, intangibles and instincts that you want in a player at the position.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

mb, i have a suggestion. maybe we should have two draft threads - one for offense another for defense - that we could continue posting on throughout the season instead of week 1 and then another on week 2. doing it that way, we could see what people see in the players progressing week in week out.

i'd do it but i think it would be best if it's started by the community's draft guru himself - that's you if you did not get that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm on record as saying I'd prefer NE pass on an RB in Rd 1, especially high, but man is Mark Ingram doing his best to change my opinion.  This kid is absolutely what they need to create some offensive balance.  With 4 ypc through two games aside, their running game scares no one thus making it easier to scheme gameplan defensively.

Can you imagine this offense with a legit threat in the backfield?  Hammer the ball, hammer the ball, hammer the ball, play action, set up the deep ball, stretch the field, open up intermediate and underneath routes keep opposing defense guessing and on their toes.  Guess what, we can now beat you on the ground or through the air, what are you gonna do?

All this kid does is shred SEC defenses, he's extremely tough to bring down, picks up a ton of YAC, has the size to continually pound the ball between the tackles, shows big play ability with multiple 50+ yard TD runs to his credit (playing in arguably the fastest conference in America) and can catch the football.  Anyone who watched last years Heisman presentation could see how important football is too him and the kid appears to have a good head on his shoulders.  Heck, I watched him on the sidelines when he was injured, helping to coach his teammates up, cheering them on, that screams winner to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mb, i have a suggestion. maybe we should have two draft threads - one for offense another for defense - that we could continue posting on throughout the season instead of week 1 and then another on week 2. doing it that way, we could see what people see in the players progressing week in week out. i'd do it but i think it would be best if it's started by the community's draft guru himself - that's you if you did not get that.

sp70,
    Thanks for the feedback, I prefer to keep things to one thread, makes it a one stop shop for everything draft related.  Also, thanks for the kind words!