Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

One or several  of the Pats top 4 picks will be very attractive to other teams...depending on the QB's available at that point of the draft, etc...could trade down, get another 2nd rounder this year, and a first next year.

In my opinion, there are only a few players worthy of our Oakland pick, if they are still available...(Watt & Kerrigan) ...if they aren't available I would trade down as the difference between Cameron Jordan and Cameron Heyward isn't that great. The difference between Von Miller and Jeremy Beal isn't that great. Same can be said of other positions of need. 

If it seems unlikely we will get Watt/Kerrigan in our Oakland slot, I would rather package a couple of picks to get Fairley...I think he would really be one of the missing links for our defense. Maybe Quinn gets into the discussion after the combine and we have had a chance to get to know his character a bit more...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : He would need a great offseason workouts to be drafted in the 1st round IMO and even then some coaches watching tape will ask where was all that hard work in that tape.  Very talented but disappears for periods of time.  He is 6'4" 288, not ideal for a DE which is what I consider him to be unlike peppers who would had been a 34 olb. I don't think Bailey is a target based on his inconsistent play, I would stay away.  I rather have Lawrence Guy at DE or Aldon Smith at OLB.
    Posted by Pats7393

Peppers is 6'7 283, and I agree Belichick would've tried him at olb.  However, if Peppers didn't adjust to the position, due to his size and lack of experience playing the position,  he still would've been a terror as a down lineman in a nickel sub package.  McGinest was 6'5 270 and was the ideal fit at olb in Belichick's schemes.  Belichick even went out of his way to praise McGinest as such.  Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick fell in love with Bailey's potential.  Would it be a risk investing a top 15 pick on Bailey?  Yes, but it there could also be a huge return as well.  I also think playing with former Miami guys like Wilfork and Merriweather would help him get adjusted to becoming a Patriot type of player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Peppers is 6'7 283, and I agree Belichick would've tried him at olb.  However, if Peppers didn't adjust to the position, due to his size and lack of experience playing the position,  he still would've been a terror as a down lineman in a nickel sub package.  McGinest was 6'5 270 and was the ideal fit at olb in Belichick's schemes.  Belichick even went out of his way to praise McGinest as such.  Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick fell in love with Bailey's potential.  Would it be a risk investing a top 15 pick on Bailey?  Yes, but it there could also be a huge return as well.  I also think playing with former Miami guys like Wilfork and Merriweather would help him get adjusted to becoming a Patriot type of player.
    Posted by ShiningWizard

This is only from what I've seen so only my opinion, Bailey's motor and first step are a question. Again only my opinion he's not a Patriot type guy, I wouldn't use Merri as a good example of a Miami player but I'm not really high on Merri either.

Not saying Bailey won't be a good player I just don't see him fitting in as a Patriot.  There are a few other guys I would draft ahead of him, maybe not as gifted but guys who play every down every practice and every game.  He might be better as a tampa 2 43 penetrating DT sort of a Saap type guy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm also of the belief that Allen Bailey will not be a target of BB in this draft.  Rd 1 is where you target the sure thing and IMO, this kid doesn't project well as a 3-4 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He doesn't possess the preferred measurables (atleast 6-5 300) for BB to spend a 1st round pick on him as a DE and I think he's too big up play on the edge with any consistency.  I'm also not sure a comparison to Peppers, who is just an athletic freak, is fair.  Similar weight aside, Bailey is not in Peppers' class in terms of athleticism. 

Further on Bailey, if you remove Wilfork and Brace from the equation, NE DL average 307 pounds, Bailey is listed around 287 which is atleast 7 pounts lighter than their lightest DL (Wright/Richard are both 295 and were URFA & late round picks respectively).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Here's my updated projection loaded with toughness and versatility:\\

1st Round (OAK)- 

Janoris Jenkins (5-11 109 CB) Florida- Shut down capabilities, good speed and quickness, solid in both zone and man, physical, secure tackler, great ball skills and instincts.  Assuming Oakland’s pick is in the mid-1st, I think he could be the best player available.

-Or-

Ryan Kerrigan (6-4 263) OLB/DE Purdue
    – Ideal size with good instincts with ability to get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the LOS.  He’s also shown the ability to set the edge vs. the run and didn’t look out of place when asked to drop into coverage.  He was the team MVP for the 2009 season, is a captain in 2010 and is a two-time Big Ten All-Academic recipient.

1st Round- Nate Solder (6-8 300) OT Colorado- Raw IMO, but does possess a good blend of athleticism, strength and toughness.  Scar should be able to turn this kid into a starter on the left or right side.

2nd Round (CAR) - Christian Ballard 6-4 298) DL Iowa- Possesses the size and length that BB covets in his 5-techs.  He’s smart, versatile, and stout at the POA, has the ability to get after the QB and has the Iowa/Ferentz pedigree.  He may get some 1st round consideration.

2nd Round- Mark Herzlich- (6-4 247) LB Boston College- He’s big, tough, versatile, physical, smart and instinctive; the kind of blue-collar type player that you want on your roster.  I think he’d be great addition to the NE LB corp. and was generally considered a top 10 prospect before he got and beat cancer.

3rd Round (MIN)- Ricky Henry (6-3 303) OG  Nebraska- Big, tough, physical, non-stop motor, practices hard and was a state wrestling champ in HS so you know he understands leverage and balance.  He’d provide a big boost in talent to the OG position.

3rd Round- Bilal Powell (6-0 216) RB Louisville- A relative unknown at this point (outside of the BDC draft thread), he possesses a great combo of power, burst and vision, shows some big play ability (3 70+ yd TD runs in 2010) and reminds me of Frank Gore in both looks and running style.  He would bring an upgrade of youth and talent to the NE backfield allowing BJGE to move back to a #2 or #3 back which I think better fits his skill set. 

-Or-

Brooks Reed (6-3 255) OLB/DE Arizona
    - Great first step and quickness off the snap, has the ability to set the edge,  shows the ability to be disruptive and pressure the pocket from the outside, good awareness and ability to re-direct and plays the game like a man on fire.   He should draw comparisons to Clay Mathews in appearance, motor/aggression and PAC-10 pedigree.

4th Round (DEN) - Owen Marecic (6-0 243) FB Stanford- He's one of my favorite players in this class, a true throwback that starts on both sides of the ball at Stanford.  Smart, rugged, versatile player that could contribute in a number of ways, which is just the kind of player BB has won championships with.  I saw him score on back to back plays against ND.  First on a FB dive, went back onto the field for the next defensive series and pick of the first pass, returning it for a TD.

5th Round- Jake Kirkpatrick (6-3 305) C TCU- He won the 2010 Rimington award given the the nation’s best center.  He was also a finalist for the Lombardi Award which is given to the nation’s top lineman.  He’s the leader of the Horned Frog OL and makes all of the pre-snap calls. 

6th Round (NO)- Jeremy Kerley (5-10 189) WR TCU- A 2010 finalist for the Paul Hornung Award given to the most versatile player in the nation.  He has the combo of fluidity, agility, quickness and speed that BB looks for in his WR’s.  He also shows solid hands, good RAC ability and would be a weapon in the return game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not a bad line up MB.

I really like Kerrigan, he's just really grown on me and has given me the impression of a OLB version of Mayo. Good instincts but with a high football IQ and never really seems to be out of position.

I like Solder and I think he has a ton of potential. Since we should have a very late 1st taking him either with Car's or ours doesn't matter but imo getting Kerrigan, Solder, and Wisniewski (future Koppen replacement) would leave the league shaking their heads wondering WTH just happen?

Haven't followed Ballard but I'll start keeping me eye on him.

As for RB's Powell is interesting but I'm starting to really like Daniel Thomas. He's a huge power back that imo would better compliment BJGE and Woodhead. Thomas would be the short yard/FB back to replace Morris.

Another couple names to keep your eye on are:

Jaron Johnson SS He's a very high IQ football play that takes good angles and is rarely out of position

Joseph Barksdale OT He has more upside then Solder but never fully lived up to it. He has trouble finishing blocks but he's a 1st round talent that could be found late 2nd early 3rd that with the right motivation could develop into a pro-bowl T

DeVier Posey not the biggest player but at 6'2" has great cutting ability and some good speed that only appears on tape. He is one of the strongest route runners in the draft with soft hands. Depending on how they feel Price and Tate are developing Posey might be good to take a shot at with the new but old heavy route running based O.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Just thowing this out here to help our discussion.  This assumes Light and Mankins return.  I won't get into the reasons why I think this happens here, it would take too long.  These are my grade just based on my impressions.  An "A" is a Pro Bowler caliber player, "B" is better than average, "C" is average compared to his peers.

2011 Patriots
    OFFENSE 21 Players
    Slot30 Welker '11 A25 Edelman '12 C- 
    WR32 Branch '11 B26 Slater '11 C- 
    LOT33 Light '13 C+29 LeVoir '11  D+ 
    LG30 Mankins '15 A  
    C31 Koppen '11 B-25 Wendell '10 C- 
    ROG29 Connolly '11 B-  
    RT27 Vollmer '12 B+32 Kaczur '12 C- 
    TE21 Hernandez B+22 Gronkowski B+33 Crumpler A-
    QB34 Brady '14 A+25 Hoyer '11 C+ 
    RB26 Green-Ellis '10 B+  
    26 Woodhead '12 B+  
    WR23 B Tate '12 D23 Price '13 UNK 

DEFENSE 22 Players
    DE 30 T Warren '13 B-29 Wright '12 C 
    NT29 Wilfork '14 A24 Brace '12 C- 
    DE24 Deaderick '13 C-25 Pryor '12 C- 
    OLB23 Cunningham C31 Banta-Cain C 
    ILB25 Mayo '12 A 30 White '11 B+
    ILB24 B Spikes '13 B25 Guyton '11 C+ 
    OLB27 Ninkovich '11 C-25 Fletcher '12 C- 
    LCB24 McCourty '14 A-27 Wilhite '11 C- 
    RCB30 Bodden '13 B+25 Arrington '10 C25 Butler '12 D-
    SS24 Chung '12 B  
    FS27 Meriweather B27 Sanders '11 B- 

SPECIAL TEAMS 2
    PK27 Gostkowski A-  
    P25 Z. Mesko B  
    LS   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

MB-

Nice Mock.  If NE were to miss on Kerrigan in the first, Brooks Reed could be a great mid-round pick-up.  I've seen this guy play quite a bit, and he is pretty impressive to watch.  Like you said, great 1st step and very disruptive.  Kerrigan would obviously be more of a sure thing, but by the time its all sudden done, he may go top 10.  Keep up the good work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'm also of the belief that Allen Bailey will not be a target of BB in this draft.  Rd 1 is where you target the sure thing and IMO, this kid doesn't project well as a 3-4 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He doesn't possess the preferred measurables (atleast 6-5 300) for BB to spend a 1st round pick on him as a DE and I think he's too big up play on the edge with any consistency.  I'm also not sure a comparison to Peppers, who is just an athletic freak, is fair.  Similar weight aside, Bailey is not in Peppers' class in terms of athleticism.  Further on Bailey, if you remove Wilfork and Brace from the equation, NE DL average 307 pounds, Bailey is listed around 287 which is atleast 7 pounts lighter than their lightest DL (Wright/Richard are both 295 and were URFA & late round picks respectively).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Let's revisit the issue of whether Bailey is an athletic freak in February at the combine.  I've read that he runs a 4.6.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

a guy who might be good at OLB whom a lot of us have overlooked so far would be Justin Houston OLB/DE from Gerogia. http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2758 "Through nine games as a junior, Houston has a whopping 15.5 tackles for loss (10 more than any other player on the team) and nine sacks (6.5 more than any other Bulldog). He also has a ridiculous 35 quarterback hurries (23 more than any of his teammates). For good measure, Houston has added a forced fumble and a fumble recovery."  Houston already being in a 3-4 scheme at Georgia, he could make an easy transition to the NFL. He is a sack artist who has shown decent coverage skills at times. If he starts to shed blocks better, he is a dangerous dangerous weapon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

1a. JJ Watts, DE/DT (Wisconsin)

1b. Gabe Carimi, OL, (Wisconsin) 6’7 wt: 325

2a. Nate Solder OT (Colorado) 6-9, 305, 4.84 or Lee ziemba OT (Auburn) 6'8" 308

2b. Daniel Thomas RB (Kansas State) or Mikel Leshoure, RB, (Illinois) 

3a. Justin Houston OLB/DE (Gerogia) or Robert Sands S, (WVU) 6-5

3b. Chimdi Chekwa, CB (Ohio State), 6-0, 190, 4.42

4. Owen Marecic, FB (Stanford)

5. Colin Kaepernick QB (Nevada) Ht: 6-6 wt: 225

6. Ugo Chinasa, OLB (Oklahoma State) or Chris Bell WR (Norfolk state)

6-7? (Compensatory) Allen Bradford, RB, USC

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    MB- Nice Mock.  If NE were to miss on Kerrigan in the first, Brooks Reed could be a great mid-round pick-up.  I've seen this guy play quite a bit, and he is pretty impressive to watch.  Like you said, great 1st step and very disruptive.  Kerrigan would obviously be more of a sure thing, but by the time its all sudden done, he may go top 10.  Keep up the good work.
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer

W-wf,
    Thanks, man.  Yes, Reed caught my eye when I was watching Arizona vs. Stanford with the goal of checking out DE Ricky Elmore, however Reed soon caught my attention and I watched the rest of his defensive snaps.  The kid brings it on every down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Not a bad line up MB. I really like Kerrigan, he's just really grown on me and has given me the impression of a OLB version of Mayo. Good instincts but with a high football IQ and never really seems to be out of position. I like Solder and I think he has a ton of potential. Since we should have a very late 1st taking him either with Car's or ours doesn't matter but imo getting Kerrigan, Solder, and Wisniewski (future Koppen replacement) would leave the league shaking their heads wondering WTH just happen? Haven't followed Ballard but I'll start keeping me eye on him. As for RB's Powell is interesting but I'm starting to really like Daniel Thomas. He's a huge power back that imo would better compliment BJGE and Woodhead. Thomas would be the short yard/FB back to replace Morris. Another couple names to keep your eye on are: Jaron Johnson SS He's a very high IQ football play that takes good angles and is rarely out of position Joseph Barksdale OT He has more upside then Solder but never fully lived up to it. He has trouble finishing blocks but he's a 1st round talent that could be found late 2nd early 3rd that with the right motivation could develop into a pro-bowl T DeVier Posey not the biggest player but at 6'2" has great cutting ability and some good speed that only appears on tape. He is one of the strongest route runners in the draft with soft hands. Depending on how they feel Price and Tate are developing Posey might be good to take a shot at with the new but old heavy route running based O.
    Posted by PatsEng

PE,
    Thanks, man.

Agreed on Kerrigan, I'd put football IQ, and the ability to understand an execute your assignment right up their with athleticism.  I'd almost go as far to say, I'd prefer the smart, technically sound player that is always in correct position and is an OK athlete to an elite athlete that is more prone to freelance, try and get by on athleticism alone.

I'm gonna give Jeron Johnson a look during BSU's bowl game, I love guys that prepare, understand their assignments and can execute.  As for Barksdale, the fact that he doesn't finish blocks as you say, would be enough for me to remove him from my list.  Personally, I think BB is looking for players that will play to and beyond the whistle; finishers.  Unless of course they're looking to burn and upside pick one someone in rd 6 or 7 which ironically is where Barksdale is projected to go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Let's revisit the issue of whether Bailey is an athletic freak in February at the combine.  I've read that he runs a 4.6.
    Posted by ShiningWizard

I've read that too, where a couple of people have thrown that out there on other threads, though I haven't seen a reputable draft publication that can substantiate that number.  I've seen him in the high 4.7 to 4.9 range.

I'd be more curious to see what his 10 yard split, 3-cone and short shuttle times are as I think those are more relevant to projecting his success than a 40 time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm of the mind that you should expect your 1st and 2nd round picks to become starters or major contributors by their 2nd year.  This is especially true of 1st round picks.  If you look back at all of BBs picks in the top 2 rounds you will see that he drafted a player that he expected to start that year or to groom for one year knowing the player to be replaced was soon retiring or moving on.  Below are the examples I found.  My memory fades the further back I went.

2001:
    1) Richard Seymour
    2) Matt Light

2002:
    1) Daniel Graham - Wiggins and Rutlidge left after the 2001 season
    2) Deion Branch

2003:
    1) Ty Warren - Bobby Hamilton's last year
    2a) Eugene Wilson
    2b) Bethel Johnson

2004:
    1a) Vince Wilfork - Ted Washington left after the 2003 season
    1b) Ben Watson - Replaced Fred Baxter
    2) Marquis Hill

2005:
    1) Logan Mankins - Andruzzi and Hochstein left after the 2005 season.

2006:
    1) Laurence Maroney - Corey Dillion retired after the 2005 season
    2) Chad Jackson - Givens, Patton and Branch all left after the '05 season.  This was the year Reche Caldwell was our best WR

2007:
    1) Brandon Meriweather - '07 was Rodney Harrison's last season
    this was the year we traded our 2nd for Welker and 4th for Moss

2008:
    1) Jarod Mayo - Bruschi retires after the '09 season and was a mentor to Mayo.  Seau was coming and going. 
    2) Wheatley - Asante Samuel left after the '07 season.  We also drafted Wilhite hoping one of them would emerge.

2009:
    2a) Patrick Chung - team was thin at S having only Ventrone, Sanders and Meriweather.  Team was still looking for the next Rodney Harrison
    2b) Ron Brace - Vince Wilfork was threatening a hold out at the time of the draft so Brace was an insurance policy
    2c) Darius Butler - Wheatley wasn't the answer to losing Samuel so Butler was drafted high.  The team also brought in Leigh Bodden this year
    2d) Sebastian Vollmer - Team was thin at OT having just Light and Kaczur, Britt left after the 2008 season.

2010:
    1) Devin McCourty - having unsuccessfully spent a pair of 2nds and a 4th trying to replace Samuel, the team went with McCourty in the first round.
    2a) Gronkowski - The team wiped out all their TEs from their 2009 roster and started over at the position bringing in Crumpler and drafted Hernandez in the 4the round
    2c) Jermaine Cunningham - Adalius Thomas was shown the door prior to the season and every knew it was coming. 
    2d) Brandon Spikes - Although 1st year player Guyton did okay, but a better run stopper was needed.

Again my point is I can't find an example where a 1st or 2nd round pick was taken where it was expected they would sit for more than 1 year.  In most cases they see immediate playing time.  Certainly not all these picks were hits, but they were intended to make immediate or near immediate contributions.  This is why I don't think we'll take a CB in the first round with Bodden coming back.  You don't draft nickel players in the first round, you draft players that will start and play 3 downs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:
    I was thinking DL with the first pick but Ty Warren will be coming back and then you have Vince and G. Warren.  A nice starting group.  I wonder if the DL would be the pick?  RB and possibly two would be on my menu. On the OL front we are short on tackle and I wonder if it's time to find a replacement for Koppen.  For OLB Von Miller of Texas A&M and Jeremy Beal of Oklahoma.  The DEs of this class seem to be more of the traditional 4/3 DE.
    Posted by garytx

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Ty Warren may not make the team next year or maybe traded. Gerard is more dominant and makes more plays.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If I'm looking at the team, the biggest need heading into 2011 is an impact player on the DL.  Every game I watch where we rush 3 or even 4 guys, the QB has all day.  I can't think of a position that needs a bigger upgrade than the DL.  We have Vince then a bunch of C players.  Ty Warren is coming back and I give him a B but he'll be 30 next season and we should expect him to become more injury prone.  I don't think BB will make a bold move for Watt or Fairley so I take the player in range that makes the most sense.

#17  DT Marcell Dareus - Alabama, 6-3, 309, 4.90

#32  OG/C Stefen Wisniewski - Penn State, 6-3, 302, 520.  Played OG until this season.  He backs up Koppen, Mankins and Connolly and either takes over for Koppen after 2011 or beats out Connolly

#33  trade down for 40 and 104

#40  WR Randall Cobb - Kentucky, 5-11, 190, 4.46.  Does it all.  Returns kicks, runs the wildcat, throws for TDs, but is mostly a WR.  He almost single handedly beat Auburn back in week 6, it took Auburn a FG as time ran out.  I had to mock him after I watched that Auburn game which re-ran the other day.  Cobb could be described as a bigger version of Dexter McCluster.  This kid competes, hates to lose and plays his heart out.

#64  OLB KJ Wright - Miss State, 6-4, 250, 4.60.  I've been singing his praises for awhile.

#66 (96/127)  RB John Clay - Wisconsin, 6-1, 248, 4.60.  Back to Clay.  He just gives us something we don't have back there, a 99.99% change to convert short yardage.

#74  CB Chimdi Chekwa - Ohio State, 5-11, 190, 4.42.  Ultimately I think this kid goes higher.  He's good in coverage, a big hitter, supports the run. 

#104 OT DeMarcus Love - Arkansas, 6-5, 315, 5.18  I think Light returns for a year or two and when Light gets hurt or hangs them up, Vollmer moves to LT and this kid takes over at RT.

#6C  SS Eric Hagg - Nebraska, 6-2, 210. 4.60.  I caught the Neb/Okla game and Hagg stood out to me.  He can cover.  He actually did a decent job staying with Broyles except on one play.  He's been used as SS and MLB and I could see him playing a Rodney Harrison type role covering fast TEs or playing shadow against running QBs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i highly doubt that DT Marcell Dareus will be around at 17 but i'd love to have him as a member of the pats.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

MB and Faucet

Love all your draft stuff................keep it going ....just hope BB reads it.

One question though. Do you really think Fairley, Kerrigan and Watt will all go in the first dozen picks?

There seems to be a lot of QB's coming out as well as depth at wide receiver.
    Heisman had three QB's out of four players.

Surely the above three prospects for the Pats will drop............at least one or two maybe?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Unfortunately, the Raiders are improved.  I never thought they'd beat SD twice.  They are currently in the 17th slot.  I can see them going 2-2 the rest of the way.  I think their pick will be in the 14-18 range now.  Hopes of the pick becoming a top 10 have faded.  Even with potentially 4 QBs coming out ahead of the Raider pick, I see no chance for Fairley and Watt to get out of the top 10.  Kerrigan will be considered by 34 and 43 teams so he won't last long either.

With all our picks, I really would like to try to move up to get Watt.  We could be coming off a SB victory and could trade up for a top 10 talent.  I think Fairley could be had at 5 (best case) and Watt at 9 (best case).  They won't go later, IMO.  Here's what we COULD do (not saying we will, we probably won't), assuming the Raider pick is between 14 and 18 and we win the SB (which is worst case for our picking order), using the NFL Draft Trade Chart:

14/64 gets us to #8
    18/64 gets us to #13
    14/32 gets us to #5
    18/32 gets us to #7

Typically bad teams would like to move back and get additional picks so there should be a willing trade partner.  Seriously, if we are coming off a SB, do we need 7 premium picks?  Why not use two of them to address our biggest need, a disruptive 34 DE?  Fairley and Watt fit the mold.

I would use pick 32 instead of 33 because we will have time to trade 33 down and get a great deal to start the second day.  If we can sign Mankins long term and Light for another 1-2 years, we wouldn't need that pick 32.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

jader, Ty Warren was injured and playing through it, that is why he wasnt as dominant as he was prior.  When he returns, assuming everthing heals correctly, he will be a nice boost to our D.  He is also younger than the other Warren. 

Faucet, the good thing is if 4 QBs can be taken that helps.  Add atleast 2 CB in Peterson (cries at not getting him) and Prince A.--maybe 3 /Jenkins--From there I see Bowers and Dareus going ahead of our pick.  And as weak of an OT class as it is, I will bet money 1 maybe 2 OTs go off the board before our pick. Then WR Green and maybe Jones  That is atleast 12 or 13 of the picks infront of us.  Definitely leaves us the room to jump up a spot or 5 and grab Fairley or Watt.

I of course cant speak for BB, but would love to jump up a few times this year. Using our 2nd and both 3rds as chips.  If we can grab Fairley/Watt with the Oak pick plus moving up and Kerrigan with our 1st plus moving up and with the Car pick an OT like Solder I would jump for joy. 
    This of course doesnt include whatever names becomes the hot draft guy after the combine.  There is always someone who raises their value during that by many rounds.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm again laying this idea out there.  We have money under the cap, about $25MM.  We like to retain our valuable players.  I think we sign Mankins long term and Light for 1-2 years.  Neal retires and Connolly takes over as he already has.  We could, and I'd argue, should, do one of these things.

Two cases:

Option 1:

#5 (14/32) DE Nick Fairley
    33 trade down for 40 + 104
    40 trade down for 49 + 113
    49 WR Leonard Hankerson
    56 (64/113) OLB KJ Wright
    74 OG Stephen Schilling
    96 trade this plus our 6th for David Thomas for 2012 2nd
    104 RB Anthony Allen
    127 TE Andre Smith
    6C (for Watson) SS Eric Hagg

We could come out of the draft with the best 34 DE, an athletic OLB who should be an improvement over Ninkovich, the best senior WR who is tall, physical has solid hands, the 3rd best OG, a decent RB to back up BJGE, a big TE who can block to learn for a year behind Crumpler and a SS/MLB hybrid plus a 2012 2nd round pick.

Option 2:

#8 (14/64) DE JJ Watt
    32 C/OG Stefen Wisniewski
    33 trade down for 40 + 104
    40 trade down for 49 + 113
    49 WR Leonard Hankerson
    61 (74/113) OLB KJ Wright
    96 trade this plus our 6th for David Thomas for 2012 2nd
    104 RB Anthony Allen
    127 TE Andre Smith
    6C (for Watson) SS Eric Hagg

I might like this better.  Fairley is a bit of a dirty player.  He also has been dealing with a shoulder injury (not sure how serious), he tires and needs to take plays off, gets flagged for dumb plays, but he is very disruptive.  Fairley can single handedly take over a game on defense.  Watt on the other hand better fits our 34 DE profile, he is tall, has long arms, he knocks down passes with regularity, he can beat the double team and gets into the backfield.  He plays smart and never takes a play off.

Wisniewski is the best C in the draft and he only played the position one year, prior to that he played G.  This makes him a great pick for our interior line.  If Mankins, Koppen or Connolly get hurt, next on the depth chart is the diminutive Wendell.  Koppen and Connolly become F/As after 2011 and even if they both are extended, Wisniewski could beat either of them out with a year to learn the system.  The rest of the draft is the same with the exception of Schilling.  If we land Wisniewski, we don't need another OG.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

jader, Ty Warren was injured and playing through it, that is why he wasnt as dominant as he was prior.  When he returns, assuming everthing heals correctly, he will be a nice boost to our D.  He is also younger than the other Warren.  Faucet, the good thing is if 4 QBs can be taken that helps.  Add atleast 2 CB in Peterson (cries at not getting him) and Prince A.--maybe 3 /Jenkins--From there I see Bowers and Dareus going ahead of our pick.  And as weak of an OT class as it is, I will bet money 1 maybe 2 OTs go off the board before our pick. Then WR Green and maybe Jones  That is atleast 12 or 13 of the picks infront of us.  Definitely leaves us the room to jump up a spot or 5 and grab Fairley or Watt. I of course cant speak for BB, but would love to jump up a few times this year. Using our 2nd and both 3rds as chips.  If we can grab Fairley/Watt with the Oak pick plus moving up and Kerrigan with our 1st plus moving up and with the Car pick an OT like Solder I would jump for joy.  This of course doesnt include whatever names becomes the hot draft guy after the combine.  There is always someone who raises their value during that by many rounds.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I haven't tried to find a way to get both Watt and Kerrigan.  Again, if we can extend Mankins long term, that takes away the need for getting 2 interior linesmen.  If we extend Light 1-2 years and with Kaz coming back we can hold off on OT for another year.  Let's see if this would work.

#8 (14/64) DE JJ Watt
    #12 (32/33) OLB Ryan Kerrigan
    #74 OG Stephen Schilling
    #96 WR Greg Salas
    #127 SS Eric Hagg

I don't think I would do this.  I would love having both of those defenders but we don't add picks for 2012 and we lose a pair of picks.  I think the Watt deal looks great on paper.  I like Wright and feel he may actually be a safer pick for OLB since he plays it today.  He has speed to get to the edge where Ninkovich often gets exposed.  Kerrigan can get after the QB, there is no doubt about that.  He can do that better than anyone.  I think our need at 34 DE is greater and added pressure up front will help the rush.  We also get a great C/OG in the kid from Penn State, a better WR and RB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Thought on the Raiders before I post my last mock for a few weeks, there are a few games to be played and my Jrs will not announce if the choose to come out for a few months still.

Raiders are 6-6 with 4 games left:
    @ Jacksonville - Jags should win this game
    Vs Broncos - Will have to see how the Broncos play for their new coach but after a 59-14 A $$ kicking in Denver, don't see the broncos winning, Raiders
    vs Indy - The colts will need to win out to make the playoffs, they won't loss this game, Colts
    @ KC - Possible the playoffs and division is determined by the winner of this game if the CHargers win out.  KC will need to win to win their division while the raiders have their Uhauls packed up.  Chiefs

Final record 7-9 with that record the pick should fall 12 to 16, I say it falls at 14 Although I believe Ayers or Kerrigan will fall into range.  Two reasons I still wait to pickup the OLB; one Harris is a very good CB and has a bright future, can do it all and second there are two OLBs that I'm extremely high on even more than Kerrigan and Ayers.  These two OLBs will make an impact, they are fast, quick and best of all know how to get to the QB. 

Looking at this mock, there are names (actually a ton) that are not been talked about much but they will be in a few months. 

#14 Brandon Harris CB 5'11" 195 JR
    Very talented, has shutdown abilities.  Plays well zone and man as well as run support.
    #32 Alson Smith OLB 6'5" 260 JR(redshirt sophmore)
    My pick for an everydown OLB, great first step sets the edge.  Biggest question is, does he come out if he does he might need to be had with the 14th.  1st of my 2 OLBs.
    #33 Dontay Moch OLB 6'1" 242
    I know what you are all thinking, BB doesn't draft OLBs under 6'3" well he also didn't line up CBs at DE but he did with Arrinton.  Moch is a great pass rusher and rumors to have sub 4.30 40 time.  He's not only fast but he does get the sacks, plays with leverage and uses different moves to get to the QB.  He will be a nightmare on passing downs and all special teams.  Remember the name.
    #62 Lawrence Guy DE 6'5" 300 JR 
    Another stud Jr.  He is a run stuffing DE who makes a ton of plays in the backfield.  Has a nonestop motor and brings a passrush. 
    3rd rnd (Min) Anthony Allen RB 6'0" 230 
    Alot will be said about what type of RB and offense this kids comes from at Georgia Tech (my back yard :) but he can run.  He's a powerful RB who will run people over.  He's got both power and speed to run through and can make moves in the open field.  Really like this kid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBXClhyzm0 Look at power
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAb_0ZuwGnw&NR=1 watch some speed
    3rd Rnd (Pats) Andrew Jackson OL 6'5" 295
    The Next Logan Mankins?  Question asked on the article I'm posting.  He sounds like a guy who would be a great addition to this line.  I have not seen him play but have not found any negative on this kid.  Until I get shown where he's not worth the pick I like what I've been reading so far.   http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/11/athletes-maulers/
    4th Rnd Lee Ziemba OT 6'8" 308
    He's not talked about much but is a good option in the 4th.  I've been saying that Light is back which will give Ziemba a year or two to work on his skills in the NFL.
    5th Rnd Armand Robinson WR 6'0" 200
    Has lead Miami of Ohio in catches, he plays in the slot and runs good routes.  He has the speed and hands to play inside or outside.  Just another weapon in the type of O the Pats have moved to.
    6th Rnd Zach Hurd OG 6'7" 315
    This is more of wishful thinking that anything else, Hurd probably doesn't get pass the 4th or maybe 5th round but had to get his name here.

Let me give you two UDFAs you hope to see in camp next season:

Craig Marshall DE/OLB 6'5" 260
    he hasn't had a real chance to play because of guys like George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul and when he did this season he got hurt so missed a few games.  Very quick off the edge.
    Michael Janac DE/DT 6'5" 294
    One word describes this kid, RAW.  Very powerful and runs well for a 300 lb man.  He will need to develop, yes but give him a year or 2 in this system can turn into a very good DE.  At worse, he is Wrights replacement in a few years.

Sections
Shortcuts