2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    [QUOTE]I include Hernandez in the young wideout group. Tate is basically in his rookie season and Price will essentially be a rookie next year. Look at all the Falcon players that are blosoming in their third year. You have to give players a couple of years. Tate and Price may still make it, you gotta give them their shot. I just thinks there are to many more pressing needs than WR and there are several quality free agent wideouts that you have to believe would love to play with Brady.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]
    Ok on Hernandez.  Tate in his "rookie" season or not, he doesn't have hands and that isn't something you can usually correct.  Either you can catch or you can't.  He's too inconsistent like Aiken before him.  I was one who was hoping we'd draft Price.  I loved his size/speed.  I'm not surprised given the program he came from that he isn't mentally ready.  Still, Branch is old already and if he's back for 2011, it will likely be his last year.  We still don't have a solid #1 or #2 WR.  If Branch goes down, which is highly likely, we are screwed.  We have the slot covered but that's it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Regarding the Raiders pick, with 4 games remaining I would project them to finish 7-9. 
    @ Jac:  Jags are playing tough, leading in their division.  They get the edge at home.  (L)

VS. Den:  Denver is terrible.  Oak. will run all over them.  McD is a complete joke as an NFL head coach (amazing how he has destroyed that franchise, huh?)  Oak. wins easily. (W)

VS. Indy:  Colts will desparately need a win here.  Oak will give them fits with their running game, but in the end the Colts passing attack and pass rush should be too much.  (L)

@ KC:  This game could have huge playoff implications for KC, and be pretty much meaningless for Oak.  Chiefs find a way. (L)

If things shake out like this, the Oak pick should still be in the 11-14 range or so.  Oak. has proven that it can get hot though, so this projection could be a little optimistic.  Either way, there will be great talent on the board wherever this pick ends up.  Go Pats!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I would love to se us get Watt. There are 11 players I feel sure will be drafted ahead of him and Im sure More astute people like Faucett or mb have a couple others . So we should have a good chance to get him. My 11 Luck.Newton.Locker. Mallett.Green Dareus. Quinn. Fairley. Bowers. Peterson.Amukamara

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]I would love to se us get Watt. There are 11 players I feel sure will be drafted ahead of him and Im sure More astute people like Faucett or mb have a couple others . So we should have a good chance to get him. My 11 Luck.Newton.Locker. Mallett.Green Dareus. Quinn. Fairley. Bowers. Peterson.Amukamara
    Posted by max5344[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of these players being selected above Watt except for Locker.  Granted that I am a little bias here, as I am a Washington State alumni and huge fan (yes...I know it has been painful the past 5 years...)  I have seen almost ever UW game this year, and I have to tell you that Locker looks terribly uncomfortable in the pocket.  Yes, he is a great athlete with a great arm, but when it comes to finding open recievers and being accurate, this guy looks extremely suspect.  Maybe he will wow scouts during the draft process and work his way back into top 10 consideration, but based on his game film from this season, I have a hard time believing that this guy will crack the 1st round. 

On the other hand, a UW player to keep an eye on is their running back, Chris Polk.  He is only a Soph, so I doubt he comes out.  If he does, however, he would be a great pick-up in the later part of the draft (if he lasted that long).  I watched him tear up my Cougs in the Apple Cup to the tune of 280 yds+ rushing.  He is the best looking back I have seen at UW since Corey D. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : The issue with Herzlich is the cancer and has he made it all the way back.  If he has returned to the player he once was, he would be talked about much more.  We discussed him at length earlier in this thread. WR is a difficult position to predict what BB will do.  Malcolm Floyd will want big bucks.  BB has to first decide what to do with Branch.  He is set to earn $6MM next year in his final year.  Do we pick that up?  As for young WR talent on the team, I don't see it.  We have Welker and Edelman.  Tate has not impressed as a WR and Price has yet to see the field.  We could use 1-2 new wideouts.  BB has never drafted a WR in the first and only drafted 1 in the 2nd, Chad "bust" Jackson.  There are some WR this year that are special.  Green, Broyles, Jones, and Blackmon head my list.  Michael Floyd, Jon Baldwin and Randall Cobb I view as more 2nd round types.  For seniors Hankerson fits in there in the 2nd round discussion too IMO.  That's 8 already for the first 2 rounds.  Then you have guys like Smith, Pettis, Young, Salas, Maehl, Niles Paul and J-Koulianos that could go 3rd round or early 4th.  So, there are a lot of options at WR for BB everywhere he's picking.  It comes down to who does he think is solid and ready to make an impact and at what value place will he take 1 or more of them? 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I really hope NE steers clear on Michael Floyd.  Call me a hater, but I believe that taking any ND skill player is a huge risk.  In this era of college football, I believe that Notre Dame recruits mediocre players who pad their stats against a schedule full of cupcakes.  Remember how great Derrick Mays was going to be?  How about Malcom Johnson?  Renaldo Wynn anyone?  How did Rocket Ismail work out?  Wasn't Julius Jones supposed to be a great running back?  John Carlson has been very disappointing for Seattle.  Brady Quinn is sitting behind Tim Tebow!  That's when you know you're a bust.  Now there are a few exceptions.  Ryan Grant has shown glimpses of talent when he can stay on the field, and Golden Tate has shown potential as well.  My point is that most skill position guys from Notre Dame have been busts in recent memory.  The Montana and Tim Brown era is a distant memory.  Maybe Floyd will be an exception and llive up to the hype, but I would rather the Pats not take that risk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I really hope NE steers clear on Michael Floyd.  Call me a hater, but I believe that taking any ND skill player is a huge risk.  In this era of college football, I believe that Notre Dame recruits mediocre players who pad their stats against a schedule full of cupcakes.  Remember how great Derrick Mays was going to be?  How about Malcom Johnson?  Renaldo Wynn anyone?  How did Rocket Ismail work out?  Wasn't Julius Jones supposed to be a great running back?  John Carlson has been very disappointing for Seattle.  Brady Quinn is sitting behind Tim Tebow!  That's when you know you're a bust.  Now there are a few exceptions.  Ryan Grant has shown glimpses of talent when he can stay on the field, and Golden Tate has shown potential as well.  My point is that most skill position guys from Notre Dame have been busts in recent memory.  The Montana and Tim Brown era is a distant memory.  Maybe Floyd will be an exception and llive up to the hype, but I would rather the Pats not take that risk.
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

You're painting with a awefully broad brush on this one. 

Michael Floyd was a 5-star WR from a HS power house in Minnesota (Cretin Derham Hall), so the mediocre player argument can't be used with him. Nor can you compare him to WR's (Ismail, Johnson and Mayes) that played for different coaches in different offensive schemes 10-20 years ago.

Additionally:
    Julius Jones has been a serviceable NFL back.

John Carlson 132 receptions for 1458 yards (11 YPC) and 13 TD's in 43 NFL games, hardly "very disappointing".

Ryan Grant missed only one game in his first three years rushing for 782-3412-23 (4.3 ypc) until getting hurt in game 1 this year.

Renaldo Wynn who's a DL (and thus isn't a skill guy) has 79 sacks in a 13 year NFL career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Just a thought. Do any of you think Pouncey Florida's center makes it to NE as a guard?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Speaking of Pouncey did you see his brother get bowled over last night? And he was suppose to be the better player. So I hope we dont see him in NE and I am a Gator fan

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Just a thought. Do any of you think Pouncey Florida's center makes it to NE as a guard?
    Posted by ohyes[/QUOTE]

I think he'll get a long look by BB and crew.  Good size and experience, plays with a mean streak, versatile (OG or C), SEC pedigree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]I would love to se us get Watt. There are 11 players I feel sure will be drafted ahead of him and Im sure More astute people like Faucett or mb have a couple others . So we should have a good chance to get him. My 11 Luck.Newton.Locker. Mallett.Green Dareus. Quinn. Fairley. Bowers. Peterson.Amukamara

Max, don't sleep on Julio Jones and I also think that one of the bottom dweller teams will go for an OLT as most of these teams have protection problems like Cowboys and Redskins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

fy: agree on Jones , feel he is going to go within a few picks of Watt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

We didn't beat the Jets, we didn't kill them, we didn't murder them; it was a massacre.

Here are my observations after last night.

A comment was made that Chung is weak in coverage and several plays were shown where Chung was badly beaten.  My impression of Chung's play has been good.  He is an excellent hitter and run stopper.  I haven't been to a game since the Super Bowl in 2007 so it's difficult to see everything on TV.  Obviously nobody was badly beaten on our side of the ball last night but if Chung is a liability in pass coverage then getting a cover safety should be a priority.  Sanders and Meriweather are free agents after 2011, Page is a F/A after 2010.  The Pats entered the night last in 3rd down defense and in passing defense.

Matt Light was beaten twice early in the game.  Light appears to be the weakest link on the line.  Mankins is every bit the beast we all know he is.  Mankins needs to be signed.  I'd rather pay Mankins $8MM than Light $5MM but then again, it isn't my money.  Mankins is 3 years younger than Light.

Branch and Brady have remarkable chemistry, oops, that didn't sound right.  Branch has a year left.  We should keep him year to year.

The front 3 just doesn't get any push.  Wilfork is always doubled and he's having a great year but we need another impact player on the DL.  I'm starting to feel that we need to Quality over Quantity this draft.  We should consider packaging up some picks to ensure we land either Watt or Fairley with Watt being the cheaper and better fit for our culture. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Great point, Faucet...packaging picks would be smart in my opinion, as well. First, you have to give our existing 1-2 year players an opportunity to learn and improve, so having 8 players make the roster in 2011 will mean someone will get cut possibly before they get to that 3rd or 4th year...someone pointed out LB stats in a previous post and most didn't start performing at a high level until after year 3....

I would love us to trade up for an impact defender, preferably D-line...possibly trade our day 2 pick at 33 for a first rounder in 2012 + a later pick in 2011...

The options are available...I'm thankful I'm a Pats fan...this forum wouldn't be very exciting if we were Panther or Bronco fans!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Assuming the Raider pick is at 14 and we win the SB we could package 14 and 32 or 33 to move up to #5.  Or, we could package 14 and 64 to move up to #9.  I don't think Fairley gets past 5 and I don't think Watt gets past #9.  When you're ranked last in total defense, last in passing defense, last in 3rd down defense and I'm sure we're near the bottom in sacks you have to start up front.  An argument could be made to move up for Kerrigan and Peterson too but I think Peterson comes off the board too early. 

To me Fairley is the most disruptive playing in college football.  I know he's been a bit of a dirty player which is something he has either been coached to do or can be coached to stop doing.  I don't think this reputation should disqualify him since Meriweather and Harrison had similar reputations and we still went out and got them.  I love Watt and think he would be great but I also think he would need a year or two to get up to his NFL potential while Fairley could come in and make an immediate impact.  Fairley's 10.5 sacks rank him 10th in the nation and he's doing this as an interior DT.  He also has 24 tackles for a loss, 18 solo.  If we want an immediate impact player, Fairley is the clear choice.  He's been called the next Warren Sapp.  But at 6-4, 3.06 and sub 5.0 I have no doubt he can play 34 DE.

CAR - Cam Newton.  When you're last in offense, 32 in passing, 26 in rushing Newton is instant offense in both catagories.

DET - Patrick Peterson.  DET has a young and talented DL.  They need a better running attack but no backs are worthy this high.  Peterson is the best choice.

CIN - AJ Green.  Owens and Ochochinco can't play forever and this will probably be TO's last year.

BUF - Andrew Luck.  With any luck, BUF will take the opportunity to land a franchise QB rather than addressing their porous DL with this pick.

NE (from DEN). Nick Fairley.  BB makes a bold move to land the most disruptive player in college football giving up his Raider pick and his own 1st round pick to a team with many holes on both sides of the ball.

And there's the path to Fairley if we want it.  Again, we could probably hold off a few more spots to get Watt costing our late 2nd instead.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Great point, Faucet...packaging picks would be smart in my opinion, as well. First, you have to give our existing 1-2 year players an opportunity to learn and improve, so having 8 players make the roster in 2011 will mean someone will get cut possibly before they get to that 3rd or 4th year...someone pointed out LB stats in a previous post and most didn't start performing at a high level until after year 3.... I would love us to trade up for an impact defender, preferably D-line...possibly trade our day 2 pick at 33 for a first rounder in 2012 + a later pick in 2011... The options are available...I'm thankful I'm a Pats fan...this forum wouldn't be very exciting if we were Panther or Bronco fans!
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I agree.  Guys, we could win the SB this year.  We don't need 7 premium picks.  Mcboyd is right.  We would be cutting guys who could still develop.  We need 3-4 impact players.  If we do that instead, we could be riding this wave until Brady retires.  We could do a combination of things.  A move up for Fairley, a move down for a future pick, land an OT mid 40s.  Land a WR late 2nd (Hankerson), draft a RB (Clay) with the MIN pick.  We don't need Powell.  I like the BJGE/Woody tandem.

Draft an OG to back up Connolly and Mankins late 3rd or 4th.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

hi gang, what a game last night.  It was what the doctor ordered jaja.

Here's my mock but here are some things I believe will happen which explains some of the pics:

OL
    Light is back with 2 year contract
    Mankins will get a very good contract and this time he stays as part of the team
    Neal retires
    Last night's starting 5 are next year's starting 5 with depth added via draft and groom them to start in 2012
    RB
    although I mocked drafting one, reports from New Orleans say they will not bring back Pierre Thomas.  NE will make a play for him again, either Butler or Merri on trade.
    Taylor won't be back or Morris, Pats use as FB rookie Eric Kettani (military commitment over)
    WR
    Branch will be back, he'll change his contract to be back he's knows the grass in not greener on the other side.
    Price will play.

Given those, pass rush still a must and I'm still wanting a CB with similar abilities as McCourty.  Bodden is back but he's turning 30 or is already. 

Faucet I'm with you that we need impact players, IMO the first 6 players listed can contribute day 1 as well as Allen Bradford on shortyardage.  Whether sub packages or base these guys have the skills to make plays.  Lawrence Guy is a kid I can't wait to see in the offseason workouts if he declares.  With some extra lbs this guy could be the RDE for a long time.

1st Rnd
    17 - Brandon Harris CB 5'11" 195 (Junior) with the big D Es off the board putting another CB on the roster who projects to be a very good cover guy is never a bad idea.  I know Bodden is back, one weakness (other than pass rush) has been covering Tes RBs with safeties.  You put Bodden on those guys and have DM and Harris on the outside
    32 - Aldon Smith OLB 6'5" 260(redshirt sophomore) My pick for an everydown OLB, great first step sets the edge.  Biggest question is, does he come out if he does he might need to be had with the 17th.
    2nd Rnd
    33 - Dontay Moch OLB 6'1" 242 I know what you are all thinking, BB doesn't draft OLBs under 6'3" well he also didn't line up CBs at DE but he did with Arrinton.  Moch is a great pass rusher and rumors to have sub 4.30 40 time.  He's not only fast but he does get the sacks.  He will be a nightmare on passing downs and all special teams.  Remember the name, if not in NE somewhere he will be a sack machine.
    62 - Lawrence Guy DE 6'5" 300 (junior) Hopping this guy comes out although with another year he could become a 1st round talent.  He is very good against the run and creates a pass rush.  If he comes out he'll open some eyes in workouts.  He can still put on some weight without loosing speed.
    3rd Rnd
    73 - Jaiquawn Jarrett FS 6'0" 202 smart football player, plays well in zone and is an excellent open field tackler.  Very good coverage safety, because he's also is solid on run support.
    94 - Andrew Jackson OL 6'5" 295 The Next Logan Mankins?  Question asked on the article I'm posting.  He sounds like a guy who would be a great addition to this line.  I have not seen him play but have not found any negative on this kid.  Until I get shown where he's not worth the pick I like what I've been reading so far.   http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/11/athletes-maulers/ 
    4th Rnd
    127  - Lee Ziemba OT 6'8" 308He's not talked about much but is a good option in the 4th.  I believe Light is back which will give Ziemba a year or two to work on his skills in the NFL.
    5th Rnd
    Edmond Gates WR 6'0" 190 Div2 receiver who will surprise many.  Difference between Gates and Price is Gates is more experienced college WR, improved route running and is very quick.  He's a faster and quicker Branch if you need me to compare him to someone.  He has the speed to go over top of Ds or lineup and find a hole in a zone.  
    6th Rnd (dave thomas trade)
    Allen Bradford RB 5'11" 235 A bulldozer to say the least.  Has not had an great college career but IMO that was due more to Pete Carroll's offense than anything else.  With the new offense he's improving and putting up good numbers.  If he's available late he could be a great addition.  He has speed and power, needs to improve pass blocking.  Short yardage specialist written all over him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Yes, I agree.  Guys, we could win the SB this year.  We don't need 7 premium picks.  Mcboyd is right.  We would be cutting guys who could still develop.  We need 3-4 impact players.  If we do that instead, we could be riding this wave until Brady retires.  We could do a combination of things.  A move up for Fairley, a move down for a future pick, land an OT mid 40s.  Land a WR late 2nd (Hankerson), draft a RB (Clay) with the MIN pick.  We don't need Powell.  I like the BJGE/Woody tandem. Draft an OG to back up Connolly and Mankins late 3rd or 4th.

I don't think they will move up unless it's to jump a specific team a la Gronk pick.  They jumped over the Ravens because they knew they were taking Gronk.  I don't think they go from 17 to 8 for example.

They'll sit where they are and if a player is not there or they think they can drop a few spots pickup a few picks that's what will happen.  Not saying I don't disagree or agree just unlikely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Ive been thinking for some time I would like us to move up. Its an interesting question ... who would you rather have McCourty and Gronk or Suh?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Ive been thinking for some time I would like us to move up. Its an interesting question ... who would you rather have McCourty and Gronk or Suh?

Very good question, and offcourse knowing what we know now hands down two future pro bowl players.  Draft day maybe we all would had said the dominant DE but can't understate the production of those two guys have made a huge difference. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I agree with everyone who says it isn't likely we'd make a bold move up.  BB hasn't shown a willingness to move up very far, just a little as Pats pointed out like jumping a team for a certain player.  It is far more likely that BB would move down and continue to stock pile picks.  Last year the cost to move up high enough to get Suh would have been prohibitive.  We would've needed to use all of our picks to get up to #2 (2600 points) where Suh was taken.  However, we are hopefully going to be in the 15 (1050 points) range with the Raider pick and Fairley might be on the board at 5 (1700).  Our 33 is worth 580 so you can see we can get to 5 or 6 with it only costing us one extra pick.  For me, this is the time to do it.  I don't see anyone with the possible exception of Peterson who can make a bigger immediate impact on defense than Fairley. 

If we are not in a rush for an immediate impact player than I think Watt if he's there at 9 could be our play with our Raider pick and our late 2nd.  If Kerrigan is our target I would make the same move as I would for Watt. 

This draft should be more about quality than quantity.  If you consider that we should be active in F/A having about $25MM to spend we should use $8MM on Mankins, save $7MM for our draft picks and the other $9MM on 2-3 decent players or one elite player. 

I'll be back with two scenarios to discuss shortly...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Just my two cents, but it seems the draft discussion revolves around an arguement between ESSENTIALS and LUXURIES. The ESSENTIALS are DE, OLB, OT and OG - especially if we lose Light and Mankins. The LUXURIES are RB, WR and CB. Now of course many are going to argue vehemently that RB, WR and CB are essentials but I just don't see it. Here's why... WR - Aaron Hernandez is the youngest player in the league and over the next couple of seasons I see Brady developing the same trust and rapport with him that he has with Welker and Branch. The kid is a player. Edelman has had a flat season but he started hurt and with the two TE formations just hasn't got the reps this year. But again, the kid is a player. Maybe Tate does not have #1 or 2 WR potential but given his return abilities he is a great #4. And I don't buy the horrible hands arguement. DId you see Reggie Wayne drop several the other night, and then make a spectacular catch. Most drops are concentration and that can improve. I still believe in Tate. And who knows about Price. So sure, Branch is older and will have to have his contract redone, but I still think draftting a WR with one of the top four picks is ill advised. RB - Belichick obviously is happy with BJGE and Woody. Ingram is the only RB talked about in the first round but again I just don't see it. I'd much rather see a FA like Ronnie Brown or Michael Bush coupled with a 3rd round pick. CB - Yeah, I would be sorely tempted if a shutdown corner was there with the OAK pick, but I still think the pash rush takes presedence. The CB I like is Aaron Williams of Texas. BUt if you believe in Bodden and Butler, and think Arrington and Wihlite provide decent depth, I'd be content to take a sleeper CB with the Minn 3rd rounder. Today I am going with Constanza, Crick, Herzlich and O'Dowd as my top four picks. tomorrow is another day.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

This is a very well thought out and argued post.  I agree completely with your premise that there are ESSENTIALS AND LUXURIES.  RB, WR and CB (with the return of Bodden) are luxuries.  I too am happy with the BJGE/Woody tandem as our primary backs.  As long as we have Brady, we will be a possession passing team that uses the run to set up play action.  Obviously we need to replace Morris and Taylor but it doesn't mean we have to use the draft.  BB prefers to get F/A RBs on the cheap so this is what he will likely do again.  WR isn't a huge need position.  I think we should add 1 but again, where and who??  Until Price sees the field, we can't comment on him.  Until Tate shows he can get open and involved consistently, not sure I agree he's the answer but is WR an ESSENTIAL?  No.

For me landing a stud DL like Fairley and/or Watt would go a long way towards enhancing our pass rush.  Adding a rush OLB doesn't necessarily get you more sacks if the OL is playing our 3 man D line straight up.  We have a NT who gets doubled.  We need a 34 DE that they also must double so a rush OLB can come free.  Fairley more so than Watt will give you a bull rush threat that is missing today.  He will get in the backfield disrupting the QB. 

I think we must keep Mankins.  That way we are drafting an OG to develop and he won't be asked to step in day 1.  OGs can be found 3rd round and later and be developed.  I don't think we can afford Light and Mankins so if it comes to a choice, Light being the older and less effective, we replace Light either with a draft pick like Castonzo or with Vollmer and we either play Kaz or draft a RT.  These 4 needs can be addressed with 5 picks and we still have 2 picks for trading or luxuries.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

If we dont sign Mankins then we cant package picks to move up. WE have to use an early pick on OL. Im amazed at how much better we are since Mankins came back. I realize it is a lot of things but he is a huge part of it. Also from what I can see Mankins is our only OL who can get pretty nasty. He doesnt seem to take s##t from anyone. Apparently that includes Mr Kraft

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]If we dont sign Mankins then we cant package picks to move up. WE have to use an early pick on OL. Im amazed at how much better we are since Mankins came back. I realize it is a lot of things but he is a huge part of it. Also from what I can see Mankins is our only OL who can get pretty nasty. He doesnt seem to take s##t from anyone. Apparently that includes Mr Kraft
    agreed.  but then we could sign Light to a 2 years deal for $5-6MM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with everyone who says it isn't likely we'd make a bold move up.  BB hasn't shown a willingness to move up very far, just a little as Pats pointed out like jumping a team for a certain player.  It is far more likely that BB would move down and continue to stock pile picks.  Last year the cost to move up high enough to get Suh would have been prohibitive.  We would've needed to use all of our picks to get up to #2 (2600 points) where Suh was taken.  However, we are hopefully going to be in the 15 (1050 points) range with the Raider pick and Fairley might be on the board at 5 (1700).  Our 33 is worth 580 so you can see we can get to 5 or 6 with it only costing us one extra pick.  For me, this is the time to do it.  I don't see anyone with the possible exception of Peterson who can make a bigger immediate impact on defense than Fairley.  If we are not in a rush for an immediate impact player than I think Watt if he's there at 9 could be our play with our Raider pick and our late 2nd.  If Kerrigan is our target I would make the same move as I would for Watt.  This draft should be more about quality than quantity.  If you consider that we should be active in F/A having about $25MM to spend we should use $8MM on Mankins, save $7MM for our draft picks and the other $9MM on 2-3 decent players or one elite player.  I'll be back with two scenarios to discuss shortly...

Faucet and MB and all;

I agree that BB likely won't trade up, but if we are just discussing I would do just what you propose to get JJ Watt or Kerrigan!

However, if Watt is already gone, I believe that we can get Kerrigan with our Raider pick (may those bums lose out)  if so, I would go as follows:

Pats #1 - Best DE left, possibly Ohio Sate Heywood, U Bailey, or Jared Crick of NE
    Carolina Round 2 #1 - Best OT out there
    Pats #2 - OG Henry of NE or Moffitt Wisc

Below is not how I see draft (JJ Watt picked #30 in first round by Pats!), but it is worth a look:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/537916-2011-nfl-mock-draft-can-anyone-knock-andrew-luck-out-of-the-top-spot

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

As  always protecting Brady is a huge deal because the way he is playing now, if he gets any time in the pocket he will pick any defense apart. Everything hinges on whether or not they sign Mankins. If they don't we need an LT and OG. If he does we really only need depth and an LT or RT depending on what BB wants to do with Vollmer.

Just as a side note. Mankins ran a trap and I was trying to find who he blocked when I realised that a Jets LB had just been hammered into the ground and Mankins was basically pasting him to the field making sure he did not get up. So yeah I'd like to see him signed, but the Pats won't give franchise LT money to a LG.