2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Both Bilal Powell and Johnny Patrick are currently playing on ESPN in the Beef O'Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl vs. Southern Miss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    Solid response of course I just wonder why others don't see it, but when the goes #8-12 I'll give you and Faucet all the props. Looks like a deep draft for DE types, so somebody great will be there with the Raiders pick. Good predictions based on skill set. I'd probably rather have him then these Jordan, Bailey, Hayward types that seem to lack 'it' as well as 2-3" and 15lbs. 1,000 posts on this beast of a thread... we are in a playoff push and a Super Bowl favorite and yet the future draft is a fascinating and possibly dynasty bulding event.
    Posted by rameakap

That's the most intriguing thing to me.  As things currently stand, they're 12-2, a potential #1 seed in the AFC and one of the favorites to reach the Super Bowl.  Further, they've accomplished this with a stable of young talent and still own surplus of draft picks that allows them to do pretty much whatever they want come draft day. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Hey buddy, sounds like you're coming around on Watt.  I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.  I can't wait to see how Watt does against the supposed #1 RT in college football, Marcus Cannon.  If Watt can get by this huge man, he can get by just about anyone.  Watt does seem to favor attacking the right side of the offensive line although I have seen him stymied before on the left side and moved to go up against a weaker opponent. Check out this story.  Watt beats out Patrick Peterson for the Lott Award.  Does this kid sound like a Patriot or what?  He will take someone's head off in a game then stay after to help old ladies cross the street. NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- J.J. Watt of Wisconsin has won the Lott Trophy. Watt received the award named for Hall of Fame defensive back Ronnie Lott on Sunday night at the Pacific Club. It honors on-field performance and personal character among defensive players. Watt led the Rose Bowl-bound Badgers with 21 tackles for loss, 10 quarterback hurries and seven sacks this season. He also forced three fumbles, recovered two, had an interception and blocked three kicks. He is the first Wisconsin player to win the award. The other finalists were Sam Acho of Texas, Casey Matthews of Oregon and Patrick Peterson of LSU. Watt is an honor student and has formed his own charity to benefit local elementary and middle schools that lack funding. He began his college career at Central Michigan, worked at a Pizza Hut for six months while trying to earn a scholarship to Wisconsin, and eventually won a starting spot on the defensive line. Wisconsin will receive $25,000 for its general scholarship fund.
    Posted by Faucetman

Ha, I've never been against them taking him in Rd 1. 

Yessir, gonna be an great match up to watch! That award certainly adds to his draft stock, especially to teams that value character, performance and toughness, such as NE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

1,000 posts on this beast of a thread... we are in a playoff push and a Super Bowl favorite and yet the future draft is a fascinating and possibly dynasty building event. ~ rameakap

Amazing isn't it. We may be witnessing something very special.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Both Bilal Powell and Johnny Patrick are currently playing on ESPN in the Beef O'Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl vs. Southern Miss.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Powell ended up with 18-75-1 last night and didn't have a whole lot of room to run last night. 

I think Patrick looked good overall.  He did get beat for a TD on USM's first drive, but I didn't see much seperation the rest of the game.  He looked fluid and fast with the ability to quickly open his hips and run with his man.  He also looked fast and aggressive in pursuit and made a big play on ST (blocked FG) which adds to his value.  He's def an option for this team, IMO, assuming his character checks out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats just brought 3 for a workout, one of them is Andy Fantuz.  A 6'4" 220lb WR, he played college in Canada and has been playing in the CFL.

I don't think he's got the speed to blow the top off but a few videos I've seen on him he's going across the middle.  He's biggest asset is soft hands to go with him height. 

He came out in 2006, intriguing player.  In Canada he won the canadian Heisman and has won honors in the CFL.  Would not be an impact player now but with a few weeks in the system can he be another redsoze target?

Want to see a few videos go to his site lol

http://www.andyfantuz.com/highlights.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

thanks for post alert mbeau    I was hoping someone would do this for the top guys as their bowl games came up. He looks legit no doubt. Fast and physical. He had the injury that keep him out not helping his stats last night too. They said something about big 1 yr stats. Think that hurts him much?  Again THANKS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet can you see what you can find out about Andrew Jackson? Fresno State OL.  All I've been reading on him is positive and could project as a versatile OG. I'm not saying Mareni will be anything special but an intriguing kid to say the least.  A 6'7" 290lb OT who moves well and according to reports has the strenght to hold against DEs. I think there are some good interior guys that will be available in the 3rd and 4th, Moffitt, Schilling, O'Dowd, Barnes, Boiling. Not disagreeing with you just looking at what's been a trend.  Is there a huge gap of talent between Pouncey and Moffitt or Schilling?  I think that gap is lesser than those between OLBs and other positions when you talk 2nd rnd vs 3rd or 4th rnd.
    Posted by Pats7393

Pat's here's what I was able to find out about Andrew Jackson, not the former pres.

I really haven't gotten to see Jackson this season - he was hurt (ankle

injury) vs Utah State and he didn't play in the Nevada game I scouted. He played briefly against Boise State and did not play in the bowl game against Northern Illinois (where they really could have used him)- he only had 3 starts this season. I saw him play a couple of times last year and liked his effort and performances. I expect there will be definite concern with the injury, since he hasn't shown he has really recovered from it.

He was ALL WAC 1st team in 2009 and Academic All American as well - noted as a very intelligent player and hard worker. A tad undersized at guard (6'5.1 and anywhere from 285 to 295) but has a good frame that could get in the 300s with probably little loss of mobility.

A solid blocker in both run and pass schemes - may be more suited to a zone-blocking team where he can get and give help using his decent mobility to get to next level blocks. I would have liked to see an entire game against Boise with their quick d-linemen to get a good read on his overall ability.

If he heals up and can perform at his pro-day and give a decent 40 time (he has times from 5.2-5.5 - not great) and show agility and technique in the one-on-one, I expect he could be as high as the 6th round; otherwise I expect him to be a very late 7th but probably UDFA who will be in someone's camp come summertime.

Hope that helps ... have a great Christmas!

Jay A Horn, CDS - MAC-WAC-GLIAC-PSAC Evaluator

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

thanks for post alert mbeau    I was hoping someone would do this for the top guys as their bowl games came up. He looks legit no doubt. Fast and physical. He had the injury that keep him out not helping his stats last night too. They said something about big 1 yr stats. Think that hurts him much?  Again THANKS
    Posted by ohyes

Welcome.

While I think stats come into play, I think BB and Caserio care more about his skill set and how that translates to their scheme as well as his ability to digest and execute his assignments. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Powell ended up with 18-75-1 last night and didn't have a whole lot of room to run last night.  I think Patrick looked good overall.  He did get beat for a TD on USM's first drive, but I didn't see much seperation the rest of the game.  He looked fluid and fast with the ability to quickly open his hips and run with his man.  He also looked fast and aggressive in pursuit and made a big play on ST (blocked FG) which adds to his value.  He's def an option for this team, IMO, assuming his character checks out.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I agree Patrick looked good.  I missed the whole 1st quarter but Patrick had some nice hits, broke up a play in the end zone (the pass may have been uncatchable - but he had tight coverage), had the blocked FG as you mentioned.  Definitely is someone to consider.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Pat's here's what I was able to find out about Andrew Jackson, not the former pres.   I really haven't gotten to see Jackson this season - he was hurt (ankle injury) vs Utah State and he didn't play in the Nevada game I scouted. He played briefly against Boise State and did not play in the bowl game against Northern Illinois (where they really could have used him)- he only had 3 starts this season. I saw him play a couple of times last year and liked his effort and performances. I expect there will be definite concern with the injury, since he hasn't shown he has really recovered from it.   He was ALL WAC 1st team in 2009 and Academic All American as well - noted as a very intelligent player and hard worker. A tad undersized at guard (6'5.1 and anywhere from 285 to 295) but has a good frame that could get in the 300s with probably little loss of mobility.   A solid blocker in both run and pass schemes - may be more suited to a zone-blocking team where he can get and give help using his decent mobility to get to next level blocks. I would have liked to see an entire game against Boise with their quick d-linemen to get a good read on his overall ability.   If he heals up and can perform at his pro-day and give a decent 40 time (he has times from 5.2-5.5 - not great) and show agility and technique in the one-on-one, I expect he could be as high as the 6th round; otherwise I expect him to be a very late 7th but probably UDFA who will be in someone's camp come summertime.   Hope that helps ... have a great Christmas!   Jay A Horn, CDS - MAC-WAC-GLIAC-PSAC Evaluator
    Posted by Faucetman

Good stuff!  Would you be able to get similar info on Caleb Schlauderaff the 6.3 298 OG from Utah (I've seen one site list him as a potential 5th rounder)?  He has prototypical Patriot size for the position and from what I've read, has good durability, intelligence and ability to digest and grasp what opposing defenses are looking to do; also plays with a pit bull mentality.  All things that should be appealing to BB. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Pat's here's what I was able to find out about Andrew Jackson, not the former pres.   I really haven't gotten to see Jackson this season - he was hurt (ankle injury) vs Utah State and he didn't play in the Nevada game I scouted. He played briefly against Boise State and did not play in the bowl game against Northern Illinois (where they really could have used him)- he only had 3 starts this season. I saw him play a couple of times last year and liked his effort and performances. I expect there will be definite concern with the injury, since he hasn't shown he has really recovered from it.   He was ALL WAC 1st team in 2009 and Academic All American as well - noted as a very intelligent player and hard worker. A tad undersized at guard (6'5.1 and anywhere from 285 to 295) but has a good frame that could get in the 300s with probably little loss of mobility.   A solid blocker in both run and pass schemes - may be more suited to a zone-blocking team where he can get and give help using his decent mobility to get to next level blocks. I would have liked to see an entire game against Boise with their quick d-linemen to get a good read on his overall ability.   If he heals up and can perform at his pro-day and give a decent 40 time (he has times from 5.2-5.5 - not great) and show agility and technique in the one-on-one, I expect he could be as high as the 6th round; otherwise I expect him to be a very late 7th but probably UDFA who will be in someone's camp come summertime.   Hope that helps ... have a great Christmas!   Jay A Horn, CDS - MAC-WAC-GLIAC-PSAC Evaluator
    Posted by Faucetman

Thanks Faucet this is great, that's around where I had him the 6th rnd.  Will be on my to watch list through out workouts.  Wonder if he didn't miss so many games this season how much higher his stock might be?

TY for the wishes, have a great Christmas as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Good stuff!  Would you be able to get similar info on Caleb Schlauderaff the 6.3 298 OG from Utah (I've seen one site list him as a potential 5th rounder)?  He has prototypical Patriot size for the position and from what I've read, has good durability, intelligence and ability to digest and grasp what opposing defenses are looking to do; also plays with a pit bull mentality.  All things that should be appealing to BB. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Jackson sounds like someone BB will take a look at, he already struck gold with a Fresno guard.  Jackson is not at the same level of Mankins but plays similar big health concerns though.  He was a big part of that OL and they played different without him.  If he's taken in the 6th puts on some weight he is a smart kid who should be able to help.  IMO could develop into a starting RG. 
    He should, I hope, get invited to the combine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Jackson sounds like someone BB will take a look at, he already struck gold with a Fresno guard.  Jackson is not at the same level of Mankins but plays similar big health concerns though.  He was a big part of that OL and they played different without him.  If he's taken in the 6th puts on some weight he is a smart kid who should be able to help.  IMO could develop into a starting RG.  He should, I hope, get invited to the combine.
    Posted by Pats7393

And BB is boys with Pat Hill so you know he'll get insider info on the kid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : And BB is boys with Pat Hill so you know he'll get insider info on the kid.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

From an article about him these three sentences stand out:

"What stands out most about Jackson is his extraordinarily toughness and outstanding strength.  A fiery, aggressive blocker, Jackson plays the game with a nasty demeanor and is the type who always plays right up to the whistle and in some cases beyond"

"As an added bonus Jackson is also quite versatile, with the ability to play anywhere along the line, including tackle and center in a pinch.  In many ways Jackson will remind you of a poor-man’s Logan Mankins, another former Bulldog who is now an NFL All-Pro."

There's a clear toughness LM brought back to the OL, I don't think we have another player on the roster that brings that to the table.  Having another nasty big ugly (pending they can resign Mankins) would make the line even better.  I love an OL with a DL's type attitude, days of finesse and pretty Pats O are gone.  These days they are as happy stuffing the ball down the teams throat as they are sitting back in pass protect. 
    Along with that, he's a leader and a number of reports on him including the one from Faucet's he is called a very smart football player which you know BB covets from all players but OL specially for all those blocking schemes. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Pats just brought 3 for a workout, one of them is Andy Fantuz.  A 6'4" 220lb WR, he played college in Canada and has been playing in the CFL. I don't think he's got the speed to blow the top off but a few videos I've seen on him he's going across the middle.  He's biggest asset is soft hands to go with him height.  He came out in 2006, intriguing player.  In Canada he won the canadian Heisman and has won honors in the CFL.  Would not be an impact player now but with a few weeks in the system can he be another redsoze target? Want to see a few videos go to his site lol http://www.andyfantuz.com/highlights.html
    Posted by Pats7393

The fact that BB would bring in a WR can't bode well for Taylor Price who has yet to be activated for a game.  This little development could mean we will draft a WR somewhere in the first 4 rounds.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : From an article about him these three sentences stand out: "What stands out most about Jackson is his extraordinarily toughness and outstanding strength.  A fiery, aggressive blocker, Jackson plays the game with a nasty demeanor and is the type who always plays right up to the whistle and in some cases beyond" "As an added bonus Jackson is also quite versatile, with the ability to play anywhere along the line, including tackle and center in a pinch.  In many ways Jackson will remind you of a poor-man’s Logan Mankins, another former Bulldog who is now an NFL All-Pro." There's a clear toughness LM brought back to the OL, I don't think we have another player on the roster that brings that to the table.  Having another nasty big ugly (pending they can resign Mankins) would make the line even better.  I love an OL with a DL's type attitude, days of finesse and pretty Pats O are gone.  These days they are as happy stuffing the ball down the teams throat as they are sitting back in pass protect.  Along with that, he's a leader and a number of reports on him including the one from Faucet's he is called a very smart football player which you know BB covets from all players but OL specially for all those blocking schemes. 
    Posted by Pats7393

BB is a master at finding and developing late round/UDFA OL talent.  I actually think it is a point of pride for him.  He very well may not address OL at all in the first four rounds.  If he can lock up Light for 1-2 years and franchise Mankins while hopefully working out a long term deal, he would be returning his starting OL from 2011 except Connolly for Neal.  If no OL types in rounds 1-4, where the heck will he be spending those picks?  I can't see more than 3 going to defense, 1 at each level.  Otherwise, we'd be cutting 1-2 year players who haven't come close to their potential. 

BB could literally shock us and go RB and/or WR with at least 1 of those top 3 picks.  He really could.  If he does, what top RB and WR would he be eyeing?  I think he's got to love Julio Jones and there's the Saban connection.  Ingram?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alvinhell. Show Alvinhell's posts

Hi everyone!

The new PATS TAILGATE SONG is available now as a FREE download at:

You can also listen to it on facebook at:

Thanks!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : The fact that BB would bring in a WR can't bode well for Taylor Price who has yet to be activated for a game.  This little development could mean we will draft a WR somewhere in the first 4 rounds.
    Posted by Faucetman

That was my first thought but Reis believes this is more looking for someone who can help in special teams as they have given up some big returns.  Aiken was also in for a workout.

If Price is not developing then you have to rethink a #1 type receiver next draft?  I can see the team looking at Broyles, quick and fast.  Very good route runner that is in and out of cuts very quickly.  He has good hands and doesn't shy away from the middle of the field.  He has the speed to go over top as well.  He could be in the 32/33 range.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4690222/aiken-among-3-to-work-out-for-pats

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Good stuff!  Would you be able to get similar info on Caleb Schlauderaff the 6.3 298 OG from Utah (I've seen one site list him as a potential 5th rounder)?  He has prototypical Patriot size for the position and from what I've read, has good durability, intelligence and ability to digest and grasp what opposing defenses are looking to do; also plays with a pit bull mentality.  All things that should be appealing to BB. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Here's what I'm told.  Our scout hasn't actually seen him play but we can all watch him tonight.

Hi Andy,

I don't cover the Mountain West and haven't seen him play - but I'll tell what I find; here's the link to his profile at Utah:

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/schlauderaff_caleb00.html

Here's a quick summary of what I found 'around the web:'

He was 2nd Team All-Am this year and 1st team MWC - also an Academic first teamer - dad is a doctor and mom is nurse - seems to come from an achieving, intelligent family.

It looks like last spring he was working out at left tackle, but went back to guard once the season began. Was on the Outland Trophy Watch list.

Runs anywhere from 5.0 - 5.2 40 (better than many Gs out there) - tips the scales at least at 300 - good mass; around 6'4 - good height for guard - physically looks very competitive for the position at the next level.

Various draft groups have him from late 3rd round to high 5th round - seems a fair estimate for his measurables and other accolades, but again, I personally haven't seen him play so I wouldn't 'stake my life on it' ... but there appears to be reasonable consistency in what I can find written on him that suggests he will go somewhere in the mid-rounds.

Enjoy!

Jay A Horn, CDS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

For those who don't follow this stuff too much here's my list of players to watch in tonights bowl game between Boise State and Utah.

Boise State

WR Titus Young 2-3 round
    WR Austin Pettis 2-3 round
    DT (Jr) Billy Winn 3-4 round
    SS Jeron Johnson 4-5 round
    QB (Jr.) Kellen Moore 6-7 round
    DE Ryan Winterswyk 6-7 round
    CB Brandyn Thompson 7-UDFA

Utah

CB (Jr) Brandon Burton 2-3 round
    OG Caleb Schlauderaff 4-5 round
    C Zane Taylor 6-7 round

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

For those who don't follow this stuff too much here's my list of players to watch in tonights bowl game between Boise State and Utah. Boise State WR Titus Young 2-3 round WR Austin Pettis 2-3 round DT (Jr) Billy Winn 3-4 round SS Jeron Johnson 4-5 round QB (Jr.) Kellen Moore 6-7 round DE Ryan Winterswyk 6-7 round CB Brandyn Thompson 7-UDFA Utah CB (Jr) Brandon Burton 2-3 round OG Caleb Schlauderaff 4-5 round C Zane Taylor 6-7 round
    Posted by Faucetman

I'm looking forward to see how Burton does this game.  I'm high on this kid so he better show up.  If I can't have Brandon Harris in the 1st then I'll like Brandon Burton in the 2nd.  he's going to have his hands full tonight with NFL caliber WRs all over the field. 

Winterswyk should have a big game, if I'm not mistaken Utah will be playing without their starting LT moving the OTs around.  He could begin to open some eyes with a good game.  Perfect size for a 34 OLB but he looks a bit stiff and slow, some sites have him as a 4.95 40 which is not good at all.

What about the matchups inside Winn against Schl, this is a big bowl night for these guys but you know they have to be thinking about the scouts that are watching them. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Here's what I'm told.  Our scout hasn't actually seen him play but we can all watch him tonight. Hi Andy,   I don't cover the Mountain West and haven't seen him play - but I'll tell what I find; here's the link to his profile at Utah:   http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/schlauderaff_caleb00.html   Here's a quick summary of what I found 'around the web:'   He was 2nd Team All-Am this year and 1st team MWC - also an Academic first teamer - dad is a doctor and mom is nurse - seems to come from an achieving, intelligent family. It looks like last spring he was working out at left tackle, but went back to guard once the season began. Was on the Outland Trophy Watch list.   Runs anywhere from 5.0 - 5.2 40 (better than many Gs out there) - tips the scales at least at 300 - good mass; around 6'4 - good height for guard - physically looks very competitive for the position at the next level.   Various draft groups have him from late 3rd round to high 5th round - seems a fair estimate for his measurables and other accolades, but again, I personally haven't seen him play so I wouldn't 'stake my life on it' ... but there appears to be reasonable consistency in what I can find written on him that suggests he will go somewhere in the mid-rounds.   Enjoy!   Jay A Horn, CDS
    Posted by Faucetman

Thanks, man.  I'll be watching tonight for sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Thanks Faucet  I try to see as many bowl games as I can. This gives one more level of interest.  I thought #70  Bryce Harris 6-6 300 or #60  Kenny Wiggins 6-7  315 one of the OL from Fresno ST got some high praise during the game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I understand your point.  However, I'm not hoping to add a DE that adds depth.  Those other guys you mention are not game changers.  Most don't even fit the size requirement.  I want a stand-out stud who can dominate a game.  Fairley and Watt are that type of player.  Dareus would also be really solid.  Guys like these don't come along every draft.  I think Fairley could be as good as Suh and Watt while not as dynamic better fits the mold of a BB player.  Watt plays smart, under control but he too is very disruptive.  As MB says, he can play 34 or 43 DE which means you can leave him in there in any alignment.  Watt with his wing span will bat down passes, he can get an arm on a runner and usually when he does, it's no contest.  If Watt and Wilfork can each occupy two players, any OLB can get after the QB.  I'm not knocking your statement, a stud OLB would be great too whether it is Kerrigan, Ayers or Von Miller.  I just think you start at the DL.  BB historically has felt that way too.
    Posted by Faucetman

I agree with this post. I think it does start with the DL. The question I have is do we draft a 3-4 DE, or just the best "defensive lineman" available?

With us running more and more sub-packages, does this defense still need a dominant 3-4 DE, or can we go a different route?

If we are drafting a stud 3-4 DE, I think the list is short, and all in round 1...Probably not much of a surprise...Watts, Fairley Dareus, Jordan. All fit and some exceed height/weight requirements for 3-4 position. I think Kerrigan is on the bubble here..an awesome player, but to me seems better suited to play 4-3 DE.

If we are drafting best available defensive lineman, who can play primarily in a 4-3, subpackages, etc., Kerrigan gets my vote as top. Others are many. Bailey, Quinn, Bowers, etc., etc., etc.

So, which is it?

Sections
Shortcuts