2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Thanks oyes. Michael Floyd, ND Marcel Dareus, Alabama. Nice list, wish i had a printer

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]Valero Alamo Justin Blackmon   Brooks Reed Oklahoma State vs. Arizona  Dec. 29 9:15 p.m.          ESPN Bell Helicopter Army vs. SMU            Dec. 30 Noon                ESPN New Era Pinstripe Kansas St. vs. Syracuse          Dec. 30 3:20 p.m.          ESPN Music City Robert Quinn OLB LaMarcus Thompson / Nick Reveiz / Gerald Jones / Denarius Moore North Carolina vs. Tennessee       Dec. 30 6:40 p.m.          ESPN Bridgepoint Education Holiday Prince Amukamara Nebraska vs. Washington Dec. 30 10 p.m.             ESPN Meineke Car Care Bowers South Florida vs. Clemson            Dec. 31 Noon                 ESPN Hyundai Sun Allen Bailey /Brandon Harris / Notre Dame vs. Miami             Sun Bowl   Dec. 31 2 p.m.               CBS AutoZone Liberty Justin Houston, OLB,(jr)/Darryl Gamble /A.J. Green(jr)/Shaun Chapas FB Georgia vs.   UCF        . Liberty Bowl     Dec.31 3:30 p.m.          ESPN Chick-fil-A South Carolina vs. Florida State    Dec. 31 7:30 p.m.          ESPN TicketCity Northwestern vs. Texas Tech Cotton Bowl Jan. 1 Noon                ESPNU Outback Janoris Jenkins DB   / Maurkice Pouncey / Ahmad Black Evan Royster Florida vs. Penn State             Jan. 1 1 p.m.               ABC Capital One Julio Jones Alabama vs. Michigan State Citrus Bowl     Jan. 1 1 p.m.               ESPN Progressive Gator Bowl    KJ Wright   /   Pernell McPhee OLB Mississippi State vs. Michigan Jan. 1 1:30 p.m.          ESPN2 Rose Bowl Game JJ Watt / Gabe Carimi Wisconsin vs. TCU     Rose Bowl   Jan. 1 5 p.m.               ESPN Tostitos Fiesta DeMarco Murray / Jeremy Beal OLB Connecticut vs Oklahoma          Jan. 1 8:30 p.m.          ESPN Stanford vs. Virginia Tech       8:30 p.m.          ESPN   Allstate Sugar Cameron Heyward   Ohio State vs. Arkansas         Jan. 4 8:30 p.m.          ESPN GoDaddy.com Middle Tennessee vs. Miami (Ohio)   Jan. 6 8 p.m.               ESPN AT&T Cotton Drake Nevis LSU vs. Texas A&M Jan. 7 8 p.m.               FOX BBVA Compass Bowl Pittsburgh vs. Kentucky Jan. 8 Noon               ESPN Kraft Fight Hunger Mark Herzlich / Anthony Castonzo Nevada vs.            Boston College Jan. 9 9 p.m.               ESPN Tostitos BCS National Championship Game Oregon vs. Auburn      Jan. 10 8:30 p.m.          ESPN
    Posted by ohyes[/QUOTE]

Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I specifically watched the Iowa game to see what Clayborn could do.  He didn't impress me in the slightest.  What is the big deal with him?  He's got nice size but can't play worth a lick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE] Wow  Blackmon what else can you say. I really like the big body WR's. 6'1" 207 lbs looked bigger on the field.  Great hands and body control 
    on Reed   He looked to have a hard time getting off blocks and his rush arc was really deep. Don't dip inside shoulder enough? Effort was there for sure
      arodrambone   I added your guys to the list.  I will edit/update the original post as more names pop up. 
    Posted by ohyes[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I'm not sure if that's by design (Arizona's scheme) or not, but he needs some refinement to his repetoire.  He strikes me as a kid that would be willing to take the steps necessary to evolve as a player and get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Mb     I was wanting to know what you thought of Utah RB Matt Asiata. I saw where Faucet said he was impressed with him, But I didn't see a your assessment on him after the game. Sorry if I have missed it. He maybe impressed me the most of all the bowl backs so far. I think he ran hard, fast, and had good vision in tight spaces.
    Posted by ohyes[/QUOTE]

I think he's a nice late round/URFA option as he possesses good size and power and he can catch the football (32 receptions on the year).  He wasn't able to do much in their bowl game against Boise State finishing with 32 yards from scrimmage (22 on 5 carries and 10 on 1 reception). 

The bowl back that's impressed me the most so far is Mikel LeShoure from Illinois.  He absolutely shredded Baylor last night with 29-184-3 on the ground and 2-21 through the air.  I know he's been mentioned on this and a few other threads, but the kid would be a great fit for NE's scheme with his great size (6-1 230), power, versatility and production (he also has some big play ability with 3 TD's of 50 or more yards).  They'd likely need to spend a Rd 2 or maybe even Rd 1 pick to get him though (assuming he declares).  He's been productive the last two seasons but really went off this year with 281-1,697-17 on the ground and 17-196-3 through the air.  Illinois has churned out some quality NFL backs in recent years in Rashard Mendenhall and Pierre Thomas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Three running back prospects playing on ESPN today.  Daniel Thomas the 6-2 228 senior from Kansas Stat is playing now against Syracuse (Syracuse counters with Delone Carter the 5-10 215 senior) and Roy Helu the 6-0 220 senior from Nebraska will play at 10 EST against Washington.

As I type this, Daniel Thomas just took the second play from scrimmage 51 yards for a TD off the left side, showing some good vision and cut back ability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

LaMichael James will return to Oregon next season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Three running back prospects playing on ESPN today.  Daniel Thomas the 6-2 228 senior from Kansas Stat is playing now against Syracuse (Syracuse counters with Delone Carter the 5-10 215 senior) and Roy Helu the 6-0 220 senior from Nebraska will play at 10 EST against Washington. As I type this, Daniel Thomas just took the second play from scrimmage 51 yards for a TD off the left side, showing some good vision and cut back ability.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

How was the rest of Thomas's game?

How about Delone Carter? Isn't he suppose to be pretty good?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I didn't watch the game but......

CARYDS  AVG  TD   LG

Daniel Thomas 51 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)
    Daniel Thomas 10 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)
    Daniel Thomas 1 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't watch the game but......     CAR YDS   AVG   TD    LG 22 90 4.1 3 51 Daniel Thomas 51 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick) Daniel Thomas 10 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick) Daniel Thomas 1 Yd Run (Josh Cherry Kick)
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I just checked the box scores as well.

Seems Carter had a heck of a day rushing for Syracuse also.

Att yds avg lng TD
    27 198 7.3 60 2

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]So I got a chance to watch 99% of Brooks Reed's defensive snaps last night, what I came away with is: * This kid plays just as hard at the start of the game as he does when 'Zona is down by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.  He's the kind of kid that I want on my team and looks like a BB type player to me. * He plays 99.9% of his downs from a 3 point stance at RE in a 4-3 (I remember one play where he played form a two point stance and blitzed inside the RE causing pressure and what I believe was an incomplete pass on 3rd down) but shows good awarness when reading run/mis-direction.  I look forward to potentially seeing him in LB drills during the combine to see what kind of fluidity, agility and quickness he has.  * He's still relatively new to the DE position, having transitioned there from H-Back in 2007, so I think he still has plenty of room to develop.  I believe he needs a more advanced pass rush move repetoire, as he primarily goes with an outside speed rush (not sure if that's their game plan) and mixes in a bull rush and spin move.
    I came away with the same observations Mb, but I only caught the first half so far.  Hopefully can watch the rest tomorrow.  But I agree, Reed plays with passion, high energy and he's almost always around the football.  I think I noticed OKLA ST running a lot of running plays away from Reed.  Not sure if it was intentional.  He kinda reminds me of Chris Matthews, not just the hair, his make-up.  Like you I'll will be watching him at the Combine to see how he does in the LB drills.  I'm not sure where to slot him yet.  I'm thinking 3rd.  Would be nice to see him there at 96.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Thanks, I just checked the box scores as well. Seems Carter had a heck of a day rushing for Syracuse also. Att yds avg lng TD 27 198 7.3 60 2
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

The stats I got were from ESPN

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

The bowl chart on page 57 has the names added.   Thanks everyone

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Carter looked real good.  Looks like there are alot of good RBs coming out this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

What do you guys think about the tier strategy that BB has adopted?  Instead of targeting a specific player, it seems like BB targets a tier of players.  Look at the chart on this ESPN Webpage.  See how 6 players are rated 93 in grade.  Say we were picking #15 and all the players 94 and above are taken.  BB would trade down 5 spots without even thinking twice and selecting another player with a 93 grade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I love his strategy overall and it obviously has brought us success.  I do see one reason to not move back, or not move back the full 5 slots or however many BB can move back.  If that hypothetical group of 93 rated guys has a position we strongly need and the rest are just solid needs, but not nearly as high.  Then, in that case I grab the position we need more right away.  OLB would be that case in this draft or DE.  The other exception I see is also when a certain position less commonly rates high, like all of the big uglies. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

It's a good very workable system. It has to be just a starting place more than a hard rule with a lot of checks and measures in the process. It would also help in the pay scale for the overall team to move back also. Say pick 15 is ours. On that list pick #15 is a OLB grade 93. There are no more OLB's on the list with the last grade 90. You would have to ask yourself.

• what's the talent drop off?
    • can you afford to pass on a position/pick altogether?
    • will there be a run on the position you want/ need before you pick again? 
    • what would it take to move back up if there is?

This is why the draft is a crap shoot as much as the player himself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : How was the rest of Thomas's game? How about Delone Carter? Isn't he suppose to be pretty good?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

1 carry 51 yards, the next 21 carries 49 yards (2.3 YPC).  He did pick up another TD on a wildcat type run to the left side where he went in untouched (10 yards) and his third on and option pitch where he was basically untouched (1 yard).  He represents 40% of their touches so I think a lot of teams load up on the box on KSU in anticipation, making it harder for him to pick up yards.  With that being said, he's managed to pick up plenty over the last two years which is a credit to him. 

Carter, displayed good power and ability to pick up yards after contact, unfortunately KSU is a bottom five run defense in the country so this game isn't really a good measuring stick, he did shred them though.  Bottom line is the kid has pick up 1,000+ yards in each of the last two seasons and looks like a potential option in Rd 4-5.  He does have an assault arrest (for punching another student) that will need to be looked into.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I came away with the same observations Mb, but I only caught the first half so far.  Hopefully can watch the rest tomorrow.  But I agree, Reed plays with passion, high energy and he's almost always around the football.  I think I noticed OKLA ST running a lot of running plays away from Reed.  Not sure if it was intentional.  He kinda reminds me of Chris Matthews, not just the hair, his make-up.  Like you I'll will be watching him at the Combine to see how he does in the LB drills.  I'm not sure where to slot him yet.  I'm thinking 3rd.  Would be nice to see him there at 96.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Cool let me know if you pick anything else up after watching the rest.

I do think that late 2nd-3rd would be where they'd need to grab him, 96 would be great!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE] It's a good very workable system. It has to be just a starting place more than a hard rule with a lot of checks and measures in the process. It would also help in the pay scale for the overall team to move back also. Say pick 15 is ours. On that list pick #15 is a OLB grade 93. There are no more OLB's on the list with the last grade 90. You would have to ask yourself. what's the talent drop off? can you afford to pass on a position/pick altogether? will there be a run on the position you want/ need before you pick again?  what would it take to move back up if there is?  This is why the draft is a crap shoot as much as the player himself.
    Posted by ohyes[/QUOTE]

Interesting point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Hey alll...Happy new year to everyone. First off, I read you guys all the time and appreciate all the info that you all put out there. It is an exciting time to be a Pats fan and draft fan.I.ve given it some thought and unless we can land a Fairly (doubtful) I'd be more inclined to roll these picks into the next draft. OUR real NEEDS, to me, are on the O line and rb.I really need to see Cunningham, Butler, arrington, Ninck, and Brace one more yr (playing). Chung, DM, Spikes, Mayo, Meariwether are young STUDS. Vince, Warren, Bodden, and Sanders are really good young vets. So...not so sure D is the need(unless the STUD de is there). They just need to play more .I wanna stockpile mopre picks for next yr and fill a few holes on offense So here's what I would do

trade #14 (oaks pick) for a late 1st and a 2011 2nd
        trade #32 for a 2011 1st, 2010 3rd
        trade # 33 for a 2011 1st, 2010 3rd
        trade 2010 ( 1 of 4 ) for a 2011 2nd

So our 2010 draft would look like this A late 1st, a late 2nd, and 3 3rds. So if a j. Jones, or M ingram slip we grab him with the 1st. A stud gaurd ( love Henry ) with our 2nd . A project rt in the 3rd along with another rb etcccc... there is really good value in the 2nd and 3rd rnds at Oline and rb this yr as you all know. Which is a true need for us

THEN......next yr we are sitting with 3 more 1st, and 3 more 2nd rnd pks to stockpile any holes in the D that don't develop as we like. Oh well.....Just a though : )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Makonikyman - it's the 2011 draft, not 2010

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I

n Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]Makonikyman - it's the 2011 draft, not 2010
    Posted by teegee[/QUOTE]

hey teegee.....: ) thanks man, I hope you figured out my madness though : ) have a good one

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE] ...    trade #14 (oaks pick) for a late 1st and a 2011 2nd     trade #32 for a 2011 1st, 2010 3rd     trade # 33 for a 2011 1st, 2010 3rd     trade 2010 ( 1 of 4 ) for a 2011 2nd   So our 2010 draft would look like this A late 1st, a late 2nd, and 3 3rds. So if a j. Jones, or M ingram slip we grab him with the 1st. A stud gaurd ( love Henry ) with our 2nd . A project rt in the 3rd along with another rb etcccc... there is really good value in the 2nd and 3rd rnds at Oline and rb this yr as you all know. ...Posted by makonikyman[/QUOTE]

in principle, i like the moves. some underclassmen are starting to say they are going back to school. there may not be enough talent to put all thos picks to good news. on the other hand, the more kids stay in school, the better next year's draft will be.

however, i'd rather trade #22 for an earlier second (say, #38) and a 2012 to close the difference.

i'd still rather use the remaining 1st pick on a DE like Watt (assuming Fairley is gone by then). I still think the weak link on the D is the DL. Nobody's been able to take Sey's place yet.

At #38, I like taking an OL. I definitely would not take a RB in the first two rounds.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : 1 carry 51 yards, the next 21 carries 49 yards (2.3 YPC).  He did pick up another TD on a wildcat type run to the left side where he went in untouched (10 yards) and his third on and option pitch where he was basically untouched (1 yard).  He represents 40% of their touches so I think a lot of teams load up on the box on KSU in anticipation, making it harder for him to pick up yards.  With that being said, he's managed to pick up plenty over the last two years which is a credit to him.  Carter, displayed good power and ability to pick up yards after contact, unfortunately KSU is a bottom five run defense in the country so this game isn't really a good measuring stick, he did shred them though.  Bottom line is the kid has pick up 1,000+ yards in each of the last two seasons and looks like a potential option in Rd 4-5.  He does have an assault arrest (for punching another student) that will need to be looked into.

Thanks MB I was going to check where the KSU run defense ranked. Two things on that though; First would be you still have to make it happen when you are suppose to. It seems Carter did if KSU indeed is poor against the run. Second is I always wonder about the run or pass rankings for Defenses because that probably makes it look like KSU is great against the pass and they might be awful but if everyone can run at will on them then they don't bother to pass. OR vice - versa.

I will start paying more attention after the new year and after everyone who's going to declare does so.

Sections
Shortcuts