2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]WRT Ayers, I live out west and have seen him play a few times; he was impressive each time.  I did not see the Oregon v. UCLA game, but I can image that the entire UCLA Defense just plain ran out of gas ... that Quack Attack is a D killer, they did it to Stanford - a heck of a team in their own right.  Regarding the WR roster issue - very good point - I guess I am being impacted by the negativity emanating from the Globesters towards Tate and Price.  I like Tate, but Tom's reluctance to throw balls to him is disconcerting.  His injury history has really hurt his development as a pass catcher and route runner.  But if BB thinks Tate and Price are REAL receivers, then, for sure Pats should NOT draft a WR in 2011 draft. I'd rather try and get a CB - a Jimmy Smith, Curtis Brown or Ras-I Dowling - with the draft pick.  Wilhite is not an NFL player, and Butler may not be either ....
    Posted by CanadianPat[/QUOTE]
    One thing to consider is an expanded roster that would come with an 18 game schedule.  If teams go from 53 to 55 another WR given the age and injury history of Welker and Branch would make a ton of sense.  We really are in such a great position. We have no burning needs.  Unlike this year, I don't see 4-5 rookies starting next year.  We are drafting for depth and the future. 

If we look at our upcoming free agents here are our questions/concerns.  Obviously Mankins and Light for 2010.  BJGE, Wendell and Arrington are restricted so they won't be going anywhere.  Page and G. Warren are also free agents.  I'm not worried about losing Taylor, Ojinnaka, Morris or White.

For 2011 we have Meriweather, Crumpler, Branch, Sanders, Wilhite, Koppen, Slater, Ninkovich, LeVoir, Connolly, Guyton, Hoyer, Love, Neal and Welker with contracts running out.  Neal and Crump will likely hang them after 2011 or the moment they slide on that ring.  Hoyer and Love will be restricted.  Branch won't be worth the money and will be turning 33 before 2012.  Meriweather will expect a HUGE pay day and with each Pro Bowl his price goes up (not sure he's worth the hype).  My concerns are with Sanders, Nink, Connolly, Guyton and Welker. 

As for Ayers, I only saw him once and I was likely too harsh on him so I will defer to you since you've seen him play more than me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone see the film out there of the NC vs BC game? The supposedly great Robert Quinn was completely stoned and toyed with by Anthony Costanzo. That is so often the case why BB and the rest of the NFL for that matter do not often take 3-4 DE/OLB types high in the draft. Think about how many every down every game great rushers there are or have been in the league. Very few. So hard to predict. So many of the good ones in college disappear when ever they face starting NFL Tackle caliber players.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I agree about scout the DE/OLB types.  It's very hard to evaluate that position.  It would be great to sign Mankins and select Costanzo.  That would be BA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Faucet , I have to finally disagree with you.......... You are not an average fan

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

How crazy would that be to draft both Costanzo and Carimi?  And then draft Pouncey at #33. 

Imagine what BB and Brady could do with that?  Isn't this what the Cowboys Dynasty was built upon?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, with Watt hurting his stock a little, what do u think of taking either of these 2 groups assuming they are there.
    Oak--Kerrigan
    Pats--Carimi/Love
    Car--Watt
     or
    Oak--Costanzo/Solder whomever grades out best
    Pats--Watt
    Car--Houston

I think either can be realistic at this time, obviously tons can change and will, but for now it would be nice for either being our top 3 picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Any forecast that has bb using all three top picks is highly suspect in my view. If anything, he'd probably be more likely to trade two of the top three picks for lower and future picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Any forecast that has bb using all three top picks is highly suspect in my view. If anything, he'd probably be more likely to trade two of the top three picks for lower and future picks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Count me among those sold on Houston in the 32/33 range.  Give him a year to develop.  I also like Pettis and Hankerson but not before pick 64.  Who do you cut to clear room on the roster?  At most we'll carry 6 WR on the 53 man team.  Branch, Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price and Slater are the 6 now. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

After watching this Pats offense produce the 7th highest scoring season in NFL history, I'm convinced that the need for a tall, deep threat vertical receiver is just a myth.  I'd rather take a shifty 5'10-6'0 tall guy with great lateral quickness and route-running ability.  A guy with the smarts to reads defenses before the snap and be in sync with Brady in terms of adjustments that need to be made.  Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, Blackmon and Hankerson are all very gifted and will make for good receivers at the next level, just maybe not in New England.  

I'd look closer at Ryan Broyles and Titus Young.  Broyles is a pass catching machine - 118 receptions this season in a very pro-style offense at OU.  He's a threat over the middle, down the sideline and on a smoke screen.  He's a gamebreaker who's very good after the catch.  My only concern is the arrest back in '07 when he was a freshman(stole gas from a pump).  From what I've read, he's a good kid and just made some bad decisions early in his college career.  I think you put his locker next to Branch's and he'll be fine.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : After watching this Pats offense produce the 7th highest scoring season in NFL history, I'm convinced that the need for a tall, deep threat vertical receiver is just a myth.  I'd rather take a shifty 5'10-6'0 tall guy with great lateral quickness and route-running ability.  A guy with the smarts to reads defenses before the snap and be in sync with Brady in terms of adjustments that need to be made.  Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, Blackmon and Hankerson are all very gifted and will make for good receivers at the next level, just maybe not in New England.   I'd look closer at Ryan Broyles and Titus Young.  Broyles is a pass catching machine - 118 receptions this season in a very pro-style offense at OU.  He's a threat over the middle, down the sideline and on a smoke screen.  He's a gamebreaker who's very good after the catch.  My only concern is the arrest back in '07 when he was a freshman(stole gas from a pump).  From what I've read, he's a good kid and just made some bad decisions early in his college career.  I think you put his locker next to Branch's and he'll be fine.   
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

This has been my stance for the two years I've been posting to the draft thread, so I completely agree and think they'll go that route.  At the same time, I think Julio is a special, complete player and would/could be a target if they decide to deviate from their current model.

Other options outside of Broyles include:

Randall Cobb- Kentucky- Rd 2 or 3 (if he declares).
    Matt Szczur- Villanova- Rd 3 or 4
    Vincent Brown- San Diego State- Rd 4 or 5
    Jeremy Kerley- TCU- Rd 4 or 5
    Jeff Maehl- Oregon- Rd 5 or 6

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My 1/3/11 gut feel prediction...

With the 17th pick inthe 2011 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select...

Cameron Jordan, the DT from Cal.

Immediately sending 90% of the BDC Forum into a frenzy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I had some free time last night and decided to check out some lesser known DL men. One name I kept coming across over and over again is Muhammand Wilkerson DT/DE out of Temple. I haven't seen his name tossed around the board a lot and when looking at most reports he seems to be moving up into the 3rd range but this guy looks like that surprise guy the Pats grab every year and people go who the heck, they grabbed him where? I don't know but just watching tape on the guy he's very impressive. He has very solid technic and uses his strength and hands to great affect but still needs some work against elite talent. For a guy his size he has average spend but his agility is off the charts and managed to bat down 4 balls this past year. He also has a solid track from his freshman year through to this past year with enormous upside.

I can actually see the Pats spending a mid 2nd or early pick on the kid and all the draft guru's going, why did they go after him this high? It makes no sense he's a 3-4 range player.

Just someone to kept an eye out for with our pick in the 1st or when they trade back one of their picks in the middle 2nd area

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]My 1/3/11 gut feel prediction... With the 17th pick inthe 2011 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select... Cameron Jordan, the DT from Cal. Immediately sending 90% of the BDC Forum into a frenzy. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Would not suprise me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I had some free time last night and decided to check out some lesser known DL men. One name I kept coming across over and over again is Muhammand Wilkerson DT/DE out of Temple. I haven't seen his name tossed around the board a lot and when looking at most reports he seems to be moving up into the 3rd range but this guy looks like that surprise guy the Pats grab every year and people go who the heck, they grabbed him where? I don't know but just watching tape on the guy he's very impressive. He has very solid technic and uses his strength and hands to great affect but still needs some work against elite talent. For a guy his size he has average spend but his agility is off the charts and managed to bat down 4 balls this past year. He also has a solid track from his freshman year through to this past year with enormous upside. I can actually see the Pats spending a mid 2nd or early pick on the kid and all the draft guru's going, why did they go after him this high? It makes no sense he's a 3-4 range player. Just someone to kept an eye out for with our pick in the 1st or when they trade back one of their picks in the middle 2nd area
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I have seen his name mentioned everywhere as a possible player on the Patriots radar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I thought these linemen had pretty decent bowl game performances.

Stefen Wisniewski
    Clint Bowling

Pouncey looked great pulling but its so hard to evaluate him on the interrior as the Florida running game is awful and there is no push up the middle and I just don't know if that has anything to do with Pouncey or not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I thought these linemen had pretty decent bowl game performances. Stefen Wisniewski Clint Bowling Pouncey looked great pulling but its so hard to evaluate him on the interrior as the Florida running game is awful and there is no push up the middle and I just don't know if that has anything to do with Pouncey or not.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I really like Wisniewski but only as an eventual Koppen replacement. I think he'd be great as a C but he's a bit to small for G.

Pouncey I think could play either G or C but rumor is the Steelers are looking towards him so he might be taken before we get a chance.

I'd also look at Cannon as the late 1st early 2nd range as a G. He can run block as well as pass block and could be Neal's replacement before the end of the 11' season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

first 3 should be OL, DL, and OLB...in which ever order it works out as...depending on the available talent.  RB, DB's, and additional OLB and OL to be the next wave.  WR, QB, etc to be only if someone "falls" into their lap...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5noles. Show 5noles's posts

New poster who looks forward to this discussion every year. As an FSU alum, I have to put in my two cents for Rodney Hudson - all-America G - 6"2", 285. Small for a guard, but projected to move to center. Wouldn't mind him in the 4-5 rounds.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet , I have to finally disagree with you.......... You are not an average fan
    Posted by maxnsl[/QUOTE]
    I've got you fooled, huh Max:))).  Thanks man.  I learn a lot about players on here too from Low, Pats, Mb, Zb and everyone else, too many to mention. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet, with Watt hurting his stock a little, what do u think of taking either of these 2 groups assuming they are there. Oak--Kerrigan Pats--Carimi/Love Car--Watt  or Oak--Costanzo/Solder whomever grades out best Pats--Watt Car--Houston I think either can be realistic at this time, obviously tons can change and will, but for now it would be nice for either being our top 3 picks.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    Either option would be pretty sweet.  I really don't think Watt will make it to the end of round 1.  There are too many 34 teams now (18, by last count) and he fits the mold perfectly.  But I was shocked Dan Williams lasted as long as he did last year too.  I think Watt is there at 17 now but hoping he makes it to 32 is a bit too optimistic.  The Combine, Pro Day, Wonderlick and interviews will elevate him.  He's a very smart kid and has a lot of good tape.  One poor performance shouldn't permanently reduce his stock.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

To tell you the truth Faucet I'm honestly not sure where Watt falls. I've seen him as high as a top 15 pick and as low as a late 2nd. IMO he falls somewhere in the middle. The way I look at it is there will be a run of QB's, WR's, CB's and the top DL's quickly in the early first and teams who need skill players will panic and trade up quick pushing players who would normally be mid to late 1st round picks like Watt back into the early 2nd round. If I had to put my finger on it I'd say Watt would end up in the 25-40 range.

The teams I would say most likely to pick him up in that range (given other needs first) are the Jets, Pats, Cle, Den, and maybe Bal

So imo he has will most likely be the player that if he doesn't get taken in the teens could fall all the way to the mid 2nd round. Either way I'd take the chance of him making it to 32nd and if he's not there then there are other high end players in the OL, OLB, DL areas that will be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]My 1/3/11 gut feel prediction... With the 17th pick inthe 2011 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select... Cameron Jordan, the DT from Cal. Immediately sending 90% of the BDC Forum into a frenzy. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this idea. I think I mentioned it about 40 or so pages ago, but Jordan is someone I have had on my radar for sometime now, especially given his size, position and playing in the 3-4 at Cal. I wish he had another 15 pounds on him, I'm curious to see what he ways in at at the combine. 6'4", 290lbs or so should be right on the edge of BB's 3-4 DE mold.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I think it was either Faucet or LOW talking about using a player (Mankins if signed and traded) to possibly move up in the draft combined with our Oakland pick.

I have another player+pick trade/move up scenario.

Dallas is sitting pretty at 9. Could we possibly trade Page or one of our safeties to Dallas plus our #17 pick + another pick possibly a 3rd-5th rounder (if needed) to move up to 9 and grab Dareus?

When looking at the 3-4 DE's coming out, I think Dareus stands out as the premier pick in this draft. I don't know how much fall off there is between he and Jordan or Watts..Any takers? .....

Would #9 get it done for us, or does Dareus go earlier?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If the Pats win the Superbowls and Mankins re-signs, BB might trade away a good number of the 2011 draft picks for future draft picks. There are OL, DL needs, but with Bodden, Ty Warren  and a number of players returning from IR, there are just not that many needs or open spots in the roster. BB will pick the best OL, DL and assorted prospects at the approriate rounds if there is value. But using all the draft picks this coming year may be wasting the choices the Pats need to restock a couple of years down the road.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]If the Pats win the Superbowls and Mankins re-signs, BB might trade away a good number of the 2011 draft picks for future draft picks. There are OL, DL needs, but with Bodden, Ty Warren  and a number of players returning from IR, there are just not that many needs or open spots in the roster. BB will pick the best OL, DL and assorted prospects at the approriate rounds if there is value. But using all the draft picks this coming year may be wasting the choices the Pats need to restock a couple of years down the road.
    Posted by nomadfan[/QUOTE]

I think that is sound logic. I don't see a ton of holes on this current team. But, I do see quite a few places that need upgrading. Look at the CB position for example. I think you can pencil in Bodden and McCourty as having considerable talent to start. But, if you consider Butler, Wilhite, Arrington, etc., can we and should we be thinking about upgrading? For some bizarre reason there is a highly touted corner available when we pick and that player is BPA, do you make the pick, upgrade the position, and trade/release Butler or Wilhite? Same logic I would apply to virtually any position on this team less QB of course.

I'm not against continuing to trade into future years, but I also think upgrading certaiin positions if there is talent available when we pick and that talent compares favorably to current players on the roster is sound judgement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I completely agree with this idea. I think I mentioned it about 40 or so pages ago, but Jordan is someone I have had on my radar for sometime now, especially given his size, position and playing in the 3-4 at Cal. I wish he had another 15 pounds on him, I'm curious to see what he ways in at at the combine. 6'4", 290lbs or so should be right on the edge of BB's 3-4 DE mold.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Correct, you did mention him which prompted me to check him out further.  I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen, be it smaller sample sizes, but everything I've read on the kid has been positive as well.  For example, Wes Bunting of the National Football stated the following about him:

"Besides Auburn DT Nick Fairley, Jordan has been the nation’s most dominant defensive lineman on a week-to-week basis. Looks like a potential blue-chip defender at the next level."

Below were my thoughts after watching him:

*Looks explosive off the snap.
    *Shows some short area quickness.
    *Uses his hands well.
    *Has the ability to split the double team.

*Gives a good effort.
    *Shows awareness/ability to locate the football.
    *Strong at the POA.
    *Shows the ability to penetrate, collapse the pocket.

Like you, I think his measurables will play a factor.  I've seen him listed anywhere from 280-287 and agree that weighing in at 290+, while still a tad light, could be enough to get him to Foxboro.  I just think his skill set, combined with his versatility (scheme diverse) and consistency would be too much for BB to pass up.

Sections
Shortcuts